Helpful ReplyNo new features - just fixes please

Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 2 of 6
Author
scottfa
Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 453
Re: No new features - just fixes please 2016/02/11 19:22:07 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby Redacted 2016/02/11 21:34:14
+1 to rlared!
Unfortunately, Cakewalk has had pretty much the same business model for ever: new features and new add in instruments/effects. I don't expect that to change much in the future. More style dials, compressors, pro channel stuff. A ray of hope is a possible ACT improvement  azlow. But I'm not holding my breath.

Intel I7 2600K (OCed to 4.0)
Gigabyte Ga-Z68X-UD3H-B3
16G Corsair 1600  Memory 4 sticks
1 SSD, 1WD 650 SATA and 1 Samsung 1G SATA    
Steinberg MR816X 
Mackie R800 Adat to the Steinberg
Windows 10 64 bit     
Sonar Platinum Lifetime
UAD-2  Solo
Anderton
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 14070
Re: No new features - just fixes please 2016/02/11 19:41:07 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby charlyg 2016/02/11 20:03:06
anxiousmofo

Understood.  I think the point is that it would take some of Ableton's market share and that existing users would not have to pay for two DAW's and attendant upgrade costs.

Getting people to switch platforms is very difficult. Ableton does what it does very well. A more extreme example is Traktor, which also does what it does very well, and is even further away from SONAR conceptually. If SONAR is going to take market share from Live, it can't be as good as Live; it has to be better than Live. If SONAR wants to get DJs into the fold, it has to be better than Traktor. OTOH being better than Pro Tools is more attainable...for example, whether the Matrix View is limited or not, it's useful and Pro Tools doesn't have it. 

It's all about balance. Every user has different needs, so there's no real way to make something that works for everyone. If all software had zero bugs, the question wouldn't be bugs vs. new features, it would be which type of feature vs. which type of user. 

The first 3 books in "The Musician's Guide to Home Recording" series are available from Hal Leonard and http://www.reverb.com. Listen to my music on http://www.YouTube.com/thecraiganderton, and visit http://www.craiganderton.com. Thanks!
Anderton
Re: No new features - just fixes please 2016/02/11 19:45:32 (permalink)
scottfa
+1 to rlared!
Unfortunately, Cakewalk has had pretty much the same business model for ever: new features and new add in instruments/effects. I don't expect that to change much in the future.

It already has, the last two updates have been super-heavy on optimizations. X1 had a complete UI change that has been refined over the years. Also consider the changes that were made to the browser, the control bar, FX stacks, etc. Those are all refinements of existing features. ACT is on the radar...

The first 3 books in "The Musician's Guide to Home Recording" series are available from Hal Leonard and http://www.reverb.com. Listen to my music on http://www.YouTube.com/thecraiganderton, and visit http://www.craiganderton.com. Thanks!
bapu
  • Total Posts : 86000
Re: No new features - just fixes please 2016/02/11 19:46:53 (permalink)
Anderton
If all software had zero bugs, the question wouldn't be bugs vs. new features, it would be which type of feature vs. which type of user. 

Best CA quote of 2016.
tenfoot
Max Output Level: -53.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2186
Re: No new features - just fixes please 2016/02/11 19:51:49 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby charlyg 2016/02/11 20:04:04

It has been said many times, and the last year has proven one does not take away from the other.  Sonar is more richly featured and much more stable than it was a year ago.  The OP just needs to see how quickly this very thread turned to feature suggestions to realise how infeasible their suggestion is. 
Anyone who believes the new features are not worthwhile should learn to use them. Drum replacer,  Aux tracks and the ability to record vst synth outputs have all saved me days of toiling. 

Bruce.

Sonar Platinum 2017-09, Studio One 3.5.3, Win 10 x64, Quad core i7, RME Fireface, Behringer X32 Producer, Behringer X32 Rack, Presonus Faderport, Lemure Software Controller (Android), Enttec DMXIS VST lighting controller, Xtempo POK.
JayCee99
Max Output Level: -83 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 353
Re: No new features - just fixes please 2016/02/11 20:24:13 (permalink)
Craig, why doesn't Cakewalk build into Sonar optional usage reporting so you can see how often people use which features?  Seems like a good way to get feedback.

Sonar Platinum
Audio Interface: Focusrite 18i8 ASIO Interface 
Keys: Korg Kronos 88, Alesis VI25
Windows 8.1 x64 Laptop, 8GB RAM, i7 CPU
anxiousmofo
Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 338
Re: No new features - just fixes please 2016/02/11 20:35:24 (permalink)
Anderton
anxiousmofo

Understood.  I think the point is that it would take some of Ableton's market share and that existing users would not have to pay for two DAW's and attendant upgrade costs.

Getting people to switch platforms is very difficult. Ableton does what it does very well. A more extreme example is Traktor, which also does what it does very well, and is even further away from SONAR conceptually. If SONAR is going to take market share from Live, it can't be as good as Live; it has to be better than Live. If SONAR wants to get DJs into the fold, it has to be better than Traktor. OTOH being better than Pro Tools is more attainable...for example, whether the Matrix View is limited or not, it's useful and Pro Tools doesn't have it. 

It's all about balance. Every user has different needs, so there's no real way to make something that works for everyone. If all software had zero bugs, the question wouldn't be bugs vs. new features, it would be which type of feature vs. which type of user. 

I've switched platforms before, and I actually think there are a lot of "flavor of the month" type purchases that can turn into long term investors if products are solid enough. Look at all the Bitwig converts ( these are all people who are dissatisfied with Live or who are looking for the next shiny toy). It just takes the right flavor, I guess. The problem with attracting those type of users for Cakewalk is the ban on license resale, which is ludicrous, but that's another topic.

Anyway, I would rather that they just get rid of the Matrix if it will not be developed further. Clip launching as a sole function is marvelously useless, and I hardly see that as a one-up on Protools.

And, for the record, I am not against bug fixes. I just don't think fly swatters are a hot product for those not already infested.

I'm also not into EDM or a DJ.

:)

Tangled roots perplex her ways.

Focusrite Saffire Pro 24 DSP, Windows 10 x64, i7 5820k, Asrock X99 OC Formula, 16 GB Corsair DDR4, Asus STRIX GTX 970,  SSD's for OS and samples, Akai MPK61, and myriad VST's.
Anderton
Re: No new features - just fixes please 2016/02/11 21:03:25 (permalink)
rlared
Craig, why doesn't Cakewalk build into Sonar optional usage reporting so you can see how often people use which features?  Seems like a good way to get feedback.

That would be pretty awesome, as long as people participated in it and didn't opt out.

tenfoot
Re: No new features - just fixes please 2016/02/11 21:14:14 (permalink)
anxiousmofo

Anyway, I would rather that they just get rid of the Matrix if it will not be developed further. 

No it is not Ableton live,  but it does launch clips. I realise it's an inconvenience for you personally but  do you mind terribly if we keep it?  

Bruce.

Sonar Platinum 2017-09, Studio One 3.5.3, Win 10 x64, Quad core i7, RME Fireface, Behringer X32 Producer, Behringer X32 Rack, Presonus Faderport, Lemure Software Controller (Android), Enttec DMXIS VST lighting controller, Xtempo POK.
John T
Max Output Level: -7.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 6783
Re: No new features - just fixes please 2016/02/11 21:25:05 (permalink)
Indeed. I use matrix rarely, but I don't want to be without it.

http://johntatlockaudio.com/
Self-build PC // 16GB RAM // i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz // Nofan 0dB cooler // ASUS P8-Z77 V Pro motherboard // Intel x-25m SSD System Drive // Seagate RAID Array Audio Drive // Windows 10 64 bit // Sonar Platinum (64 bit) // Sonar VS-700 // M-Audio Keystation Pro 88 // KRK RP-6 Monitors // and a bunch of other stuff
Anderton
Re: No new features - just fixes please 2016/02/11 21:27:01 (permalink)
anxiousmofo
Anyway, I would rather that they just get rid of the Matrix if it will not be developed further.

In general, people don't like having features removed without good reason, as would I in this case (see last paragraph).

Clip launching as a sole function is marvelously useless

Yes, I agree that would be useless. But I find capturing improvisational arrangements on the timeline, with the ability to edit them, very useful.

I hardly see that as a one-up on Protools.

Prior to the Matrix view, in the studio I had to switch to Ableton Live to do the same kind of improvisational experimentation with arranging, and then go back to SONAR. Since the addition of the Matrix view, that's no longer necessary; but it would be necessary if Pro Tools was my DAW instead of SONAR. So to me, it's an advantage. I see the Matrix view as another way to look at tracks inside of SONAR, not a replacement for a different program. Then again, I'm into EDM and DJing, so perhaps my way of thinking is more compatible with how the Matrix view works.

charlyg
Max Output Level: -72 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 950
Re: No new features - just fixes please 2016/02/11 21:35:44 (permalink)
And it was stated that the last two updates were MAJOR fixes and optimization, and low on new features(chances are those few were 90+% ready last month, so just verifying, etc... and you want more fixes each month?

for what it is worth

JayCee99
Max Output Level: -83 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 353
Re: No new features - just fixes please 2016/02/11 21:35:53 (permalink)
Redacted
Another +1 to the OP!

Sadly the thread has already been hijacked and killed again by the same old serial posters, who like to bring opinions they disagree with to a grinding halt over and over again. They just love the sound of their own voice so nobody else can get a say.

They have now successfully diverted your thread from the original topic and have broadened it into mush. Others with your viewpoint will probably stay away either out of frustration, boredom or fear of repercussions. Expect a monologue from now on.

Here's to the topic you once discussed about, for what it is worth.

Yes if I understand correctly, the serial posters also hate the smiles of children and the tail wagging of cute little puppies.

Sonar Platinum
Audio Interface: Focusrite 18i8 ASIO Interface 
Keys: Korg Kronos 88, Alesis VI25
Windows 8.1 x64 Laptop, 8GB RAM, i7 CPU
charlyg
Max Output Level: -72 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 950
Re: No new features - just fixes please 2016/02/11 21:37:18 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby tenfoot 2016/02/11 21:44:26
So  the defenders of the program are now serial posters, but not the ones that serially complain.

scottfa
Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 453
Re: No new features - just fixes please 2016/02/11 21:50:20 (permalink)
Mr Anderton:
You are correct concerning the updates to the GUI, Browser etc. I have just been waiting forever for ACT to get updated that I have become somewhat myopic😎
In actuality, I cannot keep up with the new features. I would spend all of my time learning style dials, new drum programs etc. Just improving my meager musical skills takes up too much time!

Intel I7 2600K (OCed to 4.0)
Gigabyte Ga-Z68X-UD3H-B3
16G Corsair 1600  Memory 4 sticks
1 SSD, 1WD 650 SATA and 1 Samsung 1G SATA    
Steinberg MR816X 
Mackie R800 Adat to the Steinberg
Windows 10 64 bit     
Sonar Platinum Lifetime
UAD-2  Solo
arlen2133
Max Output Level: -78 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 601
Re: No new features - just fixes please 2016/02/11 21:57:03 (permalink)
bapu
Anderton
If all software had zero bugs, the question wouldn't be bugs vs. new features, it would be which type of feature vs. which type of user. 

Best CA quote of 2016.

Got my vote!

Arlen
aka
Mr Grant
my music

Cakewalk by Bandlab, Sonar Platinum (2017.09) & X3e , Windows 7 64 bit, Intel I5 3.4 Ghz, 32 Gbs RAM, Saffire Pro40, various pres and VSTi's.

Anderton
Re: No new features - just fixes please 2016/02/11 21:59:58 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby charlyg 2016/02/11 22:13:24
Regarding "Redacted," this is the same guy who appeared as three alts last week alone (one of them was "truthbetold"), all with the same agenda of how much the forum sucks, how you can't say anything critical of SONAR (apparently he doesn't know how to read), blah blah blah, same stuff as the serial posting he's doing here.

He uses a confirmed proxy server in Norway that is a reported spam source and has at least seven spam hosts. It is listed in a blocklist lookup for hackers, spyware, and bots.  

Therefore, as I did previously, I am banning Redacted and deleting all posts made under that alt. 

Anderton
Re: No new features - just fixes please 2016/02/11 22:01:13 (permalink)
scottfa
Mr Anderton:
You are correct concerning the updates to the GUI, Browser etc. I have just been waiting forever for ACT to get updated that I have become somewhat myopic😎

Understood, I'm pushing for it myself 

tenfoot
Re: No new features - just fixes please 2016/02/11 22:09:12 (permalink)
Anderton
Regarding "Redacted," this is the same guy who appeared as three alts last week alone (one of them was "truthbetold"), all with the same agenda of how much the forum sucks, how you can't say anything critical of SONAR (apparently he doesn't know how to read), blah blah blah, same stuff as the serial posting he's doing here.

He uses a confirmed proxy server in Norway that is a reported spam source and has at least seven spam hosts. It is listed in a blocklist lookup for hackers, spyware, and bots.  

Therefore, as I did previously, I am banning Redacted and deleting all posts made under that alt. 

He is tenacious if not worthy,  and judging by his latest user name fully aware of his inevitable future 

Bruce.

anxiousmofo
  • Total Posts : 338
Re: No new features - just fixes please 2016/02/11 22:41:48 (permalink)
I didn't seriously believe the Matrix would be removed. I just think it is a wacky component to such a pro program. It is a hobby horse strapped to a stallion.

You may now return to your regularly scheduled programming. I apologize for any distraction from the OP's intended bug squashing bonanza.

Tangled roots perplex her ways.

Focusrite Saffire Pro 24 DSP, Windows 10 x64, i7 5820k, Asrock X99 OC Formula, 16 GB Corsair DDR4, Asus STRIX GTX 970,  SSD's for OS and samples, Akai MPK61, and myriad VST's.
noynekker
Max Output Level: -66 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1235
Re: No new features - just fixes please 2016/02/11 22:42:22 (permalink)
This thread tears me in two.
Oh yes, we simply must have new feature weapons to move ahead and compete in the DAW wars, and Oh no, we really want fixes and optimizations because this last year we have seen Sonar performance improved in so many ways.

So here's my equation:
More features attracts more user base = more Cakewalk long term stability, bigger DAW market share.
More fixes/optimizations keeps existing users = more Cakewalk long term stability, bigger DAW market share.

. . . extra bonus = bugs are noticed right way, feedback on the forums, usually fixed within a month.

It all adds up for me. The potential to create great music has never been easier.
Seems most here agree a balance of both is best.

Cakewalk by Bandlab, Cubase, RME Babyface Pro, Intel i7 3770K @3.5Ghz, Asus P8Z77-VPro/Thunderbolt, 32GB DDR3 RAM, GeForce GTX 660 Ti, 250 GB OS SSD, 2TB HDD samples, Win 10 Pro 64 bit, backed up by Macrium Reflect, Novation Impulse 61 Midi Key Controller, Tannoy Active Near Field Monitors, Guitars by Vantage, Gibson, Yamaki and Ovation.

Paul P
Max Output Level: -48.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2685
Re: No new features - just fixes please 2016/02/11 23:12:13 (permalink)
sharke
These "no new features please" sentiments come up fairly often in the forums and I think what a lot of people don't understand is that unless Cakewalk continually attract new users with spanking new features, there won't be any revenue with which to continue fixing bugs.

I wonder how many "new users" have hopped on the Sonar bandwagon in the last year.  I can understand someone (like myself four years ago) dreaming of one day owning Sonar and buying it when that becomes possible, but then it wouldn't be because of the lastest New Feature.  Where would a new user even hear about the latest feature ?  My hunch is that the majority of sales is from the established base buying renewals and a few newcomers wanting to become a part of that community.  It's quite a decision to jump off and I don't see the lack of something new turning off most people that are already on.  Staying current is what is important to them (meaning make what's already there even better and keep up with changes in OS).

Also, while I'm at it, Cakewalk should probably abandon soft synths altogether.  It pains me to say it since that is a huge part of why I bought Sonar, but I don't think the resources are sufficient for something monumental, and they could probably be put to better use on Sonar itself.  Repackaging old software is kind of sad, especially when it's rereleased with major bugs.

Sonar Platinum [2017.10], Win7U x64 sp1, Xeon E5-1620 3.6 GHz, Asus P9X79WS, 16 GB ECC, 128gb SSD, HD7950, Mackie Blackjack
Snehankur
Max Output Level: -80 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 507
Re: No new features - just fixes please 2016/02/12 00:43:38 (permalink)
Anderton
rlared

That would be pretty awesome, as long as people participated in it and didn't opt out.

Just a thought.
Can there be options for checkboxes for modules to be installed with the main program. Who wanted a feature to be removed they will have an option not to install.

Regards
Snehankur
Anderton
Re: No new features - just fixes please 2016/02/12 01:04:52 (permalink)
Paul P

I wonder how many "new users" have hopped on the Sonar bandwagon in the last year.

Well, SONAR Artist made the top 10 list for recording/sequencing software in [an industry sales-tracking publication] for the most recent reported month. It seems highly likely Artist buyers would be new users.

Also, while I'm at it, Cakewalk should probably abandon soft synths altogether. It pains me to say it since that is a huge part of why I bought Sonar, but I don't think the resources are sufficient for something monumental, and they could probably be put to better use on Sonar itself.

Different type of project, different team..one does not impact the other (FWIW Cakewalk recently hired two new engineers for SONAR). But in any event Rapture Pro shouldn't be abandoned - the people who have it deserve something that works well, so the Product Manager who took over after the release debacle has made significant improvements.

As you may have noticed I haven't commented on Rapture Pro much in the past because I didn't use it. That has changed, and now I don't use Dim Pro or Rapture any more. The Gibson Bass Collection is the result of my warming up to Rapture Pro, much of which involves the Instrument page. It's very well-suited to the Advance 49 keyboard I'm using due to the mapping of the eight knobs to the eight physical controls. 

And...now that I'm working with it and not having issues with bugs, I'm making a list of what I think would be improvements in terms of speeding up the program creation process. I'm finishing up a couple expansion packs for my own use and when they're done, I'll pass them along to Cakewalk for possible release.

thornton
Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 222
Re: No new features - just fixes please 2016/02/12 01:18:52 (permalink)
I enjoy both new features and fixes
Snehankur
Max Output Level: -80 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 507
Re: No new features - just fixes please 2016/02/12 02:01:22 (permalink)
*My personal opinion*
I look forward for new features.
First of all Cakewalk is a huge software - I don't know lots of its features and I am not capable of using this fully. If I come across I just ask and get clarified in this forum.
Bug fixing is a parallel activity, though it takes lot of time and effort. The forum members are also very active to identify them, help each other out - the cases of users/hardware related issues rather than software bug.
For me its an on-going process, so I look forward for new features and add-ons if any of them is from my expectation or any of them I will use which I never thought for.

Personally I didn't find much of bugs [as I am a limited user], though I have seen white screen or unexpected close down. But I normally used to the Control-S not only Cakewalk but for other software as well, and I move on.

New comers will be attracted by the advertisement of new features though there is always a question why not they get attracted with the existing features [they are new to the existing as well : but I feel its just something psychological - I am not sure]

My renewing is dependent on the announcement of new feature [be it before 31st March or later]

Regards
Snehankur
MacFurse
  • Total Posts : 324
Re: No new features - just fixes please 2016/02/12 02:37:34 (permalink)
I would of agreed I think, right up until today, but I've finally had some time to myself for what seems months, to, well just read posts of interest. And I finally read the 'look what's coming in Spring' info. I know, I know. 5 weeks ago!!! 

Well, I got excited. Some of the new stuff really hit the spot. Can't wait.

So, while I agree it would be nice to settle things and get some problems out of the way, particularly Midi for all those dudes who use it so heavily (I'm OK, mainly tracking audio - Just AD2 for drums and a few synths and strings), I'm really happy where we seem to be heading. Can't we have both haha!!

Platinum. i7 4771 3.5ghz. ECU H87 mobo with 3 monitor support. 16gb Ripjaws 1600mhz. Focusrite 18i20. 2 x 250gb Samsung EVO SSD's OP/Programs. 2x1TB Seagate Baracuda sata3 data drives. 200gb sata2 bootable drive for online and downloading only. Seagate 2tb USB 3.0 backup drive.  2x27in monitors. Rode K2 valve mic. Sontronics STC-1 pair. Studio Projects B1 condenser. SM58B. SM57B. Presonus Eureka Preamp.
MacFurse
  • Total Posts : 324
Re: No new features - just fixes please 2016/02/12 02:41:36 (permalink)
And just to add, I've ventured into music video, gearing up for that over the last month. New PC build, software, camera and lens etc.....

But, if I thought we had problems with SONAR, I simply wasn't prepared for the software problems in video editing. One guy has created a whole new CODEC, just make it easier to work with high def video, because the, very pro, ones, simply can't cut it. And that's just the beginning.

We have it good here IMHO.

Platinum. i7 4771 3.5ghz. ECU H87 mobo with 3 monitor support. 16gb Ripjaws 1600mhz. Focusrite 18i20. 2 x 250gb Samsung EVO SSD's OP/Programs. 2x1TB Seagate Baracuda sata3 data drives. 200gb sata2 bootable drive for online and downloading only. Seagate 2tb USB 3.0 backup drive.  2x27in monitors. Rode K2 valve mic. Sontronics STC-1 pair. Studio Projects B1 condenser. SM58B. SM57B. Presonus Eureka Preamp.
ChazEd
Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 121
Re: No new features - just fixes please 2016/02/12 05:34:04 (permalink)
I just want to say that I'm happy with Sonar Platinum M right now. Believe me, I really am, but:

• No New Features = No More Money Coming From Me.
  • Remove Feature Already In Sonar / No Bug Fixes = Jump Ship Right Away.

My 0.02.

Ableton Live 10 Suite x64
Korg Legacy Collection, FXpansion Tremor, Z3ta+ 2 & Rapture Pro
Win 10 x64 (Still knocking on wood...)
i7 4770, GA-H97-D3H, 16 GB, 7200 1TB + 2TB, RX 580, CX600V2
UA-101 (Thank you, Roland, for the Windows 10 driver!), SM57, MG10/2, MicroKey 37
kevinwal
Max Output Level: -69 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1066
Re: No new features - just fixes please 2016/02/12 06:55:46 (permalink)
I personally would be pretty disappointed if after paying for a year's membership I received no new features during the course of the membership period. I don't understand the calls for stopping development of new features for an entire year. Is the product so terribly unstable now that it would justify such a desperate move?

I also don't understand the comments about people being shouted down or somehow being prevented from stating their views. I see no lack of everybody and his brother posting their opinions here.

Kevin Walsh
My latest tunes are at Reverbnation, please give a listen!

EVGA X58 Classified III, 24GB Kingston RAM, i7/970 6 core
256GB SSD, 2TB HD
Windows 10 Build 10586, Sonar Platinum, 2016.03
MOTU 8Pre Interface
Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 2 of 6
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1