Helpful ReplyNo notation fixes!

Page: << < ..678910.. > >> Showing page 6 of 40
Author
Brando
Max Output Level: -47.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2776
Re: No notation fixes! 2015/01/21 13:34:29 (permalink)
jsg
michael diemer
vintagevibe
Staff View is dead.  No matter what Cakewalk says publicly it will never be addressed.  People need realize that.  This same thread has appeared in every release cycle since the 90's.  If you depend on notation Sonar is the wrong DAW.  There are other programs that have functional staff views that have not been abandoned.  

I know about Cubase. Are there other DAWS that have a decent staff view?

DP's staff view is OK, but it too cannot handle either dotted or tied triplets correctly (one or the other, Sonar doesn't display either correctly).   Cubase's staff view has many more options than Sonar's, but to me it's very clunky and I don't like the interface.   Most of Cubase's notation features assume the user wants to print edited scores so lots of markings are included.  I don't need that, I print my scores from Sibelius,  I just want a decent notation midi editor.  I don't know anything about Logic and though Pro Tools notation view is using some Sibelius technology PT still doesn't support any VST so I don't want to buy into that system.  Finally Sonar has the capacity to have multiple staff view opens at the same time--no other DAW can do this, it is an amazing time saver to have my winds, brass, percussion, synths and strings all in different windows where I don't have to be constantly switching individual instruments within one view.  That's why I put up with Sonar's notation, plus the fact that there are so many things about Sonar I love, including the event list, which is better than DP and Cubase.

One user keeps insisting that "if you are using Sonar for notation you're using the wrong program".  He's totally wrong.  Go to the link below and  listen to some of my work done in the Sonar staff view--it works, it just needs some bug fixes. I've produced 11 albums and 8.5 symphonies (working on new one!) with staff view, so I know what it can do and I know its limitations. It just needs some bug fixes.

Jerry
http://www.jerrygerber.com/symphony9.htm

I think one of the difficulties will be to not "break" anything that is already working and piss off users like Jerry who are "basically" happy and productive with the tool (except for the existing bugs). The root issue as I see it is that how users would use Staff View varies according to what they do and what they need. While I read music well, I am more comfortable editing in PRV than in staff view, and only use staff view as a context view of a fairly basic arrangement, and to print out a rudimentary lead sheet. I think a lot of users just want to be able to print out a captured performance once they get it right (for copyright reasons, etc.) For this reason (the fact that when it comes to staff view, users' needs are going to vary greatly) - Echoing Bill's opinion from a few days ago, I am hopeful that Cake's path forward (of on-going small fixes via a monthly membership) - will yield a better approach than would have been possible previously - i.e., start with fixing small bugs, bringing back icons, buttons, etc. that facilitated workflow, and working through those workflow issues  that might arise as a result of a change.

Brando
Cakewalk, Studio One Pro, Reaper
Presonus Audiobox 1818VSL
ASUS Prime Z370-A LGA1151, 32GB DDR4, Intel 8700K i7, 500 GB SSD, 3 x 1TB HDD, Windows 10 Pro 64
cityrat
Max Output Level: -77 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 671
Re: No notation fixes! 2015/01/21 13:37:45 (permalink)
jsg
DP's staff view is OK, but it too cannot handle either dotted or tied triplets correctly (one or the other, Sonar doesn't display either correctly).   Cubase's staff view has many more options than Sonar's, but to me it's very clunky and I don't like the interface.   Most of Cubase's notation features assume the user wants to print edited scores so lots of markings are included.  I don't need that, I print my scores from Sibelius,  I just want a decent notation midi editor.  I don't know anything about Logic and though Pro Tools notation view is using some Sibelius technology PT still doesn't support any VST so I don't want to buy into that system.  Finally Sonar has the capacity to have multiple staff view opens at the same time--no other DAW can do this, it is an amazing time saver to have my winds, brass, percussion, synths and strings all in different windows where I don't have to be constantly switching individual instruments within one view.  That's why I put up with Sonar's notation, plus the fact that there are so many things about Sonar I love, including the event list, which is better than DP and Cubase.

One user keeps insisting that "if you are using Sonar for notation you're using the wrong program".  He's totally wrong.  Go to the link below and  listen to some of my work done in the Sonar staff view--it works, it just needs some bug fixes. I've produced 11 albums and 8.5 symphonies (working on new one!) with staff view, so I know what it can do and I know its limitations. It just needs some bug fixes.

Jerry

Impressive pdf of Symphony 9!

I've had the same experience as you.  I actually switched back to Sonar (left at 6? after they killed P5) after using RE** because it has (had) NO staff view, and I find Cubase clunky (not just in SV).  I find SONAR can do quite a bit (if it suits your workflow) and it's bug fixes and a few usability features that are needed.

I considered DP, but it's too expensive vs what I have invested in SONAR (experience wise) and there would be too much "lost" for marginal gain in only a few areas.

Sonar Platinum | Windows 7 64 bit SP1 | Intel i5 3570 3.4GHz | 8GB RAM | Gigabyte GA-B75-D3H | OCZ SSD | RME 9632
jsg
Max Output Level: -69 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1079
Re: No notation fixes! 2015/01/21 15:21:20 (permalink)
vintagevibe
jsg

Jerry

Hi Jerry how are you?  I applaud your ability to compose in Sonars staff view.  That speaks more to you ability and patience than the functionality of Sonar.  It is actually pretty amazing to me that you do such sophisticated work in Sonar's staff view but that doesn't mean that it is an easy or powerful tool compared to the the others.  The point that you are prolific in SV is not the issue here.  It is the capabilities of SV compared to other DAWS.  This thread shows that most people think it it needs work.  I know people who could build a house without power tools.  But I need power tools.  IMO if you depend on notation Sonar is not the best tool.  

I think Sonar's notation view IS easy to use, bugs aside.   I wouldn't and couldn't work in it as prolifically as I have if it were as difficult as you say it is.  Some say all DAW notation editors leave something to be desired, and if one's standard is a program like Sibelius, which is not a DAW or a production tool, but solely a notation program, they'd be right. 

There are many tricks in using Sonar's notation editor that I've discovered and invented over the years.  For example, if you lasso a selection of notes and move them, the controllers and patch information will not move with them.   But if you select the notes via F9 and F10, all the information is selected, including controller and patch information, and they all can be moved (or deleted, copied, etc.) together.   Also, setting up your main windows so that you have 3, 4 or more tabbed (and locked) staff views, will allow you to completely bypass the need to be constantly adding or subtracting instruments to the view.   Cubase and DP cannot do this. 

For those who want the note icons back, no problem there either.  I was dependent upon the note icons too and when I first saw they were missing I hated it.  But if you use your keybinding and bind all the notes to specific keys:

w = whole
h = half-note
q = quarter
etc. etc. 

Now you have a faster way to input notes, even faster than using note icons.  

Since music notation has evolved over a 1000 years and the fact that many of the finest musical compositions in the world could not have been created without it, I wish that Cakewalk would consider the cultural, artistic, intellectual and musical value of it and fix the bugs.   It will only make their software better.  They've spent the past 10 years trying to please those who don't use the staff view or don't care about it.  How about now devoting a few releases to improving the notation editor?   If CW does this, Sonar will be without question the finest DAW on the market and people will talk.

Jerry
www.jerrygerber.com

microapp
  • Total Posts : 653
Re: No notation fixes! 2015/01/21 15:44:10 (permalink)
jsg

I think Sonar's notation view IS easy to use, bugs aside.   I wouldn't and couldn't work in it as prolifically as I have if it were as difficult as you say it is.  Some say all DAW notation editors leave something to be desired, and if one's standard is a program like Sibelius, which is not a DAW or a production tool, but solely a notation program, they'd be right. 

There are many tricks in using Sonar's notation editor that I've discovered and invented over the years.  For example, if you lasso a selection of notes and move them, the controllers and patch information will not move with them.   But if you select the notes via F9 and F10, all the information is selected, including controller and patch information, and they all can be moved (or deleted, copied, etc.) together.   Also, setting up your main windows so that you have 3, 4 or more tabbed (and locked) staff views, will allow you to completely bypass the need to be constantly adding or subtracting instruments to the view.   Cubase and DP cannot do this. 

Jerry,
I admire you persistence. I really like your ninth.
But...
In the mid 70's I built my first computer. It had paddle switches on the front to thumb in address and data bit-by-bit and a write button to store the switch data. I wrote thousands of lines of code by keying in hex code...no assembler... direct hex code. I did this because nothing else was available.
I have no desire to EVER,EVER,EVER do anything like this again even though it is possible.

Sonar Platinum, Cubase Pro 8.5, Reaper 5, Studio One 2
Melodyne Studio 4, Finale 2012
I7-5820K 4.5GHz, 32 GB DDR4-2800,3 monitors,Win 10 Pro
Toshiba P75-A7100,l7-4900 2.4 Ghz/8MB Win 8.1 Pro
Tascam FW-1884, Emu 0404USB, CMC-AI,Axiom 61
Yamaha HS-50's, Sony SA-W2500, Sennheiser RS170's, ATH-M50
Ibanez Jem7VWH, RG-1570
Jackson DK2-S(Sustainiac),Les Paul Custom
Digitech Valve-FX, GFX-1,TSR-24,RP-90
jsg
Re: No notation fixes! 2015/01/21 16:33:49 (permalink)
microapp
jsg

Jerry,
I admire you persistence. I really like your ninth.
But...
In the mid 70's I built my first computer. It had paddle switches on the front to thumb in address and data bit-by-bit and a write button to store the switch data. I wrote thousands of lines of code by keying in hex code...no assembler... direct hex code. I did this because nothing else was available.
I have no desire to EVER,EVER,EVER do anything like this again even though it is possible.

If you guys really want to know about a notation program that was incredibly difficult to learn and use, try SCORE.  Score came out in 1988, it was created by Leland Smith at Stanford.  It was the first real notation program for the PC.  It worked under DOS and did not use any mouse or pointing device.  It took me 6 months to learn it and after using it for 10 years I was about to go completely lunatic.   For example, you want to change the curvature of a slur?   Easy, just type:
23 11 0 14 02 19 ENTER.   (you had to memorize these numbers or you'd be looking it up in the manual)
That's how cryptic it was.  Yet, it produced printed output that rivaled anything that Sibelius or Finale can do, the output was stupendous.   So, working with Sonar's notation editor, for me, is a breeze compared to something like that! 

michael diemer
Max Output Level: -68 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1128
Re: No notation fixes! 2015/01/21 16:52:12 (permalink)
Thanks to Jerry for the great info on SV in other DAWS. Count me as one who loves the SV, and uses it for midi editing like Jerry, and also, as has been mentioned, to print out a score that can then be sent to the Copyright office. So, above all, please Cakewalk, at least keep what you have! And if possible, yes, some incremental improvements would be great. But all in all I am happy with Sonar and although I sometimes squawk and threaten to leave, I never do. Sonar is a fantastic product, I can't really imagine using anything else. There's so much here that you can create your own workflow as needed. Use all of it, or just a bit, it's all there if you need it. Sonar is the BEST. Keep up the great work, folks.

michael diemer
Intel Quad Core i7-3770 Ivy Bridge
32 GB ram
1TB Western Digital Black X2
Microsoft Windows 7 Pro 64
UR22 interface
Bandlab Cakewalk/Sonar 8.5 Studio
GPO-EWQLSO Gold-Vienna SP ED-Cinematic Strings 2

Kamikaze
Max Output Level: -45 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3013
Re: No notation fixes! 2015/01/21 18:46:28 (permalink)
Brando
While I read music well, I am more comfortable editing in PRV than in staff view, and only use staff view as a context view of a fairly basic arrangement, and to print out a rudimentary lead sheet.

Another poster made the suggestion of being able to view the PRV and SV in the same window, so I put that down as a feature.

http://forum.cakewalk.com/Piano-View-and-Staff-View-in-the-same-Window-m3153522.aspx#3153522

I think this could be a great way of becoming more comfortable with what is happening in SV, whilst editing PRV.but also vice verca when thinking about harmony. I the past I have tried having both windows open at the same time, but it was fiddly.

Mark Ellis
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3
Re: No notation fixes! 2015/01/21 19:06:35 (permalink)
So, I've been a Cakewalk user since it was on DOS. I do like to use notation view, so even though I've bought a copy of X3, I still primarily use an older version (8.5) because of the screwed notation view in X3. When I learned X4 had no fixes for the bugs I thought to look around to see what else was out there. I assumed I was on the cusp of becoming a Cubendo user, but came across this discussion in the Reaper forums:

Turns out Reaper is really putting some effort into a quality notation view for editing. I just downloaded a copy to try out. While I'm sure it's not fully baked, I just have to give up on Cakewalk ever fixing their software. I know they've mentioned the code is a mess and the guy who wrote it and understands it no longer works there, and I certainly understand they have their priorities (while the notation view might even be a priority to fix, the amount of manpower to actually fix it may be not worth it when they can add more shiny things to the program). But here's one user who, after more than twenty years with Cakewalk, won't be upgrading until they fix it.
vintagevibe
Max Output Level: -51 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2446
Re: No notation fixes! 2015/01/21 20:58:49 (permalink)
Mark Ellis
Turns out Reaper is really putting some effort into a quality notation view for editing. 

Wow even Reaper has notation now?!?  So they feel it's important enough to start from scratch to add it.  Reaper, Avid, Presonus, MOTU, Steinberg, Magix and Apple/Logic think it's important but Cakewalk doesn't.  I don't get it.  

When Cakewalk for Windows 3.1 came out it was a feature of the program and the best notation on Windows at the time.   Then they orphaned it.  Very little was ever done since somewhere around 1992 ish.   
post edited by vintagevibe - 2015/01/21 21:06:14
Kamikaze
Re: No notation fixes! 2015/01/21 21:49:59 (permalink)
http://www.cakewalk.com/Products/SONAR/Features

Explore Guitar Features in SONAR

"Chord Chart & Tab

Notate, compose, or print music with standard notation staff view and guitar tab - perfect for guitar students and teachers"

Explore Songwriting Features in SONAR

"Compose!

Score your music with SONAR’s integrated staff view - ideal for songwriters and composers"

O_o

http://www.cakewalk.com/Products/SONAR/Features

michael diemer
Re: No notation fixes! 2015/01/21 22:06:40 (permalink)
Mark Ellis

Turns out Reaper is really putting some effort into a quality notation view for editing.

I'm not sure this is correct. there is discussion there, as here, about the merits of staff view, and a small but vocal contingent of users pushing for one, but to my knowledge they don't yet have it. They may or may not be working on it. I am a casual member of their forum, just in case I decide to migrate, so I 'm not privy to any inside info, but from what I can gather it's not out yet.

michael diemer
32 GB ram
UR22 interface

jsg
Re: No notation fixes! 2015/01/21 22:11:15 (permalink)
Mark Ellis
So, I've been a Cakewalk user since it was on DOS. I do like to use notation view, so even though I've bought a copy of X3, I still primarily use an older version (8.5) because of the screwed notation view in X3. When I learned X4 had no fixes for the bugs I thought to look around to see what else was out there. I assumed I was on the cusp of becoming a Cubendo user, but came across this discussion in the Reaper forums:

Turns out Reaper is really putting some effort into a quality notation view for editing. I just downloaded a copy to try out. While I'm sure it's not fully baked, I just have to give up on Cakewalk ever fixing their software. I know they've mentioned the code is a mess and the guy who wrote it and understands it no longer works there, and I certainly understand they have their priorities (while the notation view might even be a priority to fix, the amount of manpower to actually fix it may be not worth it when they can add more shiny things to the program). But here's one user who, after more than twenty years with Cakewalk, won't be upgrading until they fix it.

Really?  I went to their site and looked over the user's manual and the website advertising, no mention of a notation view.   Is this inside information they haven't released yet?
TomHelvey
Max Output Level: -80 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 537
Re: No notation fixes! 2015/01/21 22:15:51 (permalink)
jsg
Really?  I went to their site and looked over the user's manual and the website advertising, no mention of a notation view.   Is this inside information they haven't released yet?

Upcoming release, check their forum.

System: i7-6900, 64Gb, AMI X99 Carbon Pro Gaming, AMD Radeon HD 7700, Win 10 Pro
PCIe: UAD Octo
USB: MOTU midi express 128, OB-6 Module, Akai MPK-249, Moog SUB 37, Antelope Orion 32 HD, Softube Console 1, iLok, eLicenser
DAW: Cubase Pro, Ableton Live, Sonar Platinum
Plugins: Waves, UAD, Xfer, Lennar Digital, u-he, Reveal Sound, Spectrasonics, SoundToys, VPS, Blue Cat, iZotope, NI, Valhalla, Lexicon, etc.

https://soundcloud.com/thomas-helvey
swamptooth
Max Output Level: -53 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2229
Re: No notation fixes! 2015/01/21 22:16:54 (permalink)
Kamikaze
Brando
While I read music well, I am more comfortable editing in PRV than in staff view, and only use staff view as a context view of a fairly basic arrangement, and to print out a rudimentary lead sheet.

Another poster made the suggestion of being able to view the PRV and SV in the same window, so I put that down as a feature.

http://forum.cakewalk.com/Piano-View-and-Staff-View-in-the-same-Window-m3153522.aspx#3153522

I think this could be a great way of becoming more comfortable with what is happening in SV, whilst editing PRV.but also vice verca when thinking about harmony. I the past I have tried having both windows open at the same time, but it was fiddly.

What I've taken to since I went to a dual monitor setup is having staff view open on one screen and prv open on the other.  This to me is a great way of working.

Arvid H. Peterson
Sonar X3E Prod / X2A  / X1PE | Cubase 9.5.1 | Reason 9.5 | Sibelius7 | Pure Data
Native-Instruments Komplete 10 Ultimate and a smattering of other plugins
Home-brewed VSTs 
Toshiba Satellite S855-S5378 (16GB RAM, modified with 2x 750GB HDDs, Windows 8.1 x64)  
Samson Graphite 49, M-Audio Oxygen 49, Korg nanoPAD2, Webcam motion tracking programs 
M-Audio Fast Track Ultra
Member, ASCAP   

Kamikaze
Re: No notation fixes! 2015/01/21 22:25:43 (permalink)
Please go and vote for it?

skinnybones lampshade
Max Output Level: -80 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 530
Re: No notation fixes! 2015/01/21 22:42:01 (permalink)
jsg, Jerry Gerber, I couldn't have said it better myself (or I would have  ): Thanks!

[Quoting you -] Since music notation has evolved over a 1000 years and the fact that many of the finest musical compositions in the world could not have been created without it, I wish that Cakewalk would consider the cultural, artistic, intellectual and musical value of it and fix the bugs.   It will only make their software better.  They've spent the past 10 years trying to please those who don't use the staff view or don't care about it.  How about now devoting a few releases to improving the notation editor?   If CW does this, Sonar will be without question the finest DAW on the market and people will talk. [/Quoting you]
swamptooth
Re: No notation fixes! 2015/01/21 22:47:49 (permalink)
I would, but I think a SV improvement at this time is a waste of resources.  There is a TON of new technology that CW has been adapting to, including vst3, which I think is more important to the software environment as a whole - because that will give them 5-10 years to focus on other functionality.  Personally, I would rather Sibelius make midi recording more accurate because I simply cannot use it reliably. 
I do not think SV has been abandoned by any means, I just think that there have been so many advances in music tech over the last 5 years that triage and allocation of resources has likely been very demanding.  One thing I'm sure of is when Cake does an update to SV, it will be done right the first time.

Arvid H. Peterson
Sonar X3E Prod / X2A  / X1PE | Cubase 9.5.1 | Reason 9.5 | Sibelius7 | Pure Data
Home-brewed VSTs 
Toshiba Satellite S855-S5378 (16GB RAM, modified with 2x 750GB HDDs, Windows 8.1 x64)  
Samson Graphite 49, M-Audio Oxygen 49, Korg nanoPAD2, Webcam motion tracking programs 
M-Audio Fast Track Ultra
Member, ASCAP   

pbognar
Max Output Level: -76 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 720
Re: No notation fixes! 2015/01/22 00:02:57 (permalink)
I'm trying to resist the urge to comment on some of the more colorful posts here.

As true or ironic as many of these posts are, I think we are better served by keeping things positive (I can be just as cynical as the next guy, and I am just as disappointed / outraged).

Maybe I'm naive, but Bill Jackson's posts struck a nerve.  He sounded genuine and he is one of the "deciders".

Share your SV suggestions but by all means, post in the Features and Ideas forum.

My concern is that when we continue to bash this product and sing the praises of other competing products, it's only a matter of time before the thread is banished to a less visible forum or just locked outright.

My 2 cents.
rabeach
Max Output Level: -48 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2703
Re: No notation fixes! 2015/01/22 13:26:47 (permalink)
It is difficult at best not to be cynical when we have been waiting for almost two decades. SV worked better in pro audio 9 than it does now.
pbognar
Max Output Level: -76 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 720
Re: No notation fixes! 2015/01/22 16:55:07 (permalink)
rabeach
It is difficult at best not to be cynical when we have been waiting for almost two decades. SV worked better in pro audio 9 than it does now.

You are the second person to have said that.

I was using another DAW during the time of pro audio 9.

Can you share how it worked better?  Just curious.
jsg
Re: No notation fixes! 2015/01/22 21:55:30 (permalink)
rabeach

How so?  There have been minor improvements such as adding and eventually darkening the color of the staff view track pane, but everything else is pretty much the same.  The disappearance of note icons actually sped things up for me, using keybinding for note values turns out to be faster, although I still think they should return the icons because they're very useful too, and they offer visual cues.  That's the only real change I know of.

I think there are two camps here wanting changes to the staff view, the 1st camp, which I am in, sees the notation aspect of a DAW solely as a MIDI input and editing tool, one that satisfies a composer's need to visualize music in an evolutionarily successful symbolic language that has evolved over a millennium and that today is still highly relevant to music composition whether it be scores for film, TV or games, or Broadway, opera, orchestral and chamber music, religious and secular rituals, music education. It doesn't have to be too sophisticated, just display notes (including dotted and tied triplets of course) correctly, have a functional and flexible snap function and allow for easy access to note properties.  Maybe a display that could turn off and on patch/controller info on same screen would be nice, but not necessary. In this sense the function of the notation view and the PRV is quite similar:  to manipulate and add/remove midi data, controllers, patch changes, etc.   They display that data in very different ways.  

The other camp sees the notation editor also as a way to print out scores and parts to give to musicians.  Whether they read music or not, having a printed version of what you sequenced or recorded helps communicate ideas to others.  This is essentially asking software designers to combine the complexity, depth and ergonomics of Sonar with a powerful and comprehensive notation program like Sibelius.  I wish more musicians wanted something like that, but I think the ones that do don't constitute a large, global market.  We've never had that in the history of DAWS, and if some brave souls want to do that they sure win my respect.  But in reality, if you're writing for live players, do the score and parts in a notation program instead of a DAW, you'll be a lot happier. 

I hope the second camp understands that a dedicated notation program is not, at least up to now, a DAW, it is not a production tool, it is not designed for producing master CDs and/or wave files, nor to handle VST instruments and signal processors or to create a finished recording. Only a finished, publish-quality score and parts. 

No matter how useful the PRV may be to some, music notation allows for deeper contemplation and clarity of harmonies, harmonic progression, voice-leading and contrapuntal movement and orchestration.  Is that just my opinion or is it objectively true?   It is true for me, but verify for yourself, try to manage a simple four-part harmony exercise or a Bach choral in the PRV and then try it in the staff view.  

I realize that today's hip-hop, dance, rock, and numerous other styles and genres of pop music do not depend upon or need a written score.   That speaks to the power and flexibility of music itself--a piece does not need to be born in notated form to be a highly meaningful, expressive artistic experience.   My own bias tells me though that when a great musical composition is born as a notated score, it can contain qualities, subtleties, complexities and variations that would be difficult to give expression to without the written language of music.

Sooner or later, perhaps we'll see a DAW with the score capacities of a great notation program.  But in the meanwhile, I wish Cakewalk would re-do the snap function to make sense. 

JG
http://www.jerrygerber.com/symphony8.htm
http://www.jerrygerber.com

post edited by jsg - 2015/01/23 00:14:17
michael diemer
Re: No notation fixes! 2015/01/23 00:52:25 (permalink)
Well said indeed by Jerry. I'm in the first group, we just need a good midi editing SV, with some modest improvements. a dedicated notation program will do the rest. Heed the voice of reason!

michael diemer
32 GB ram
UR22 interface

swamptooth
Re: No notation fixes! 2015/01/23 01:03:04 (permalink)
I want a sv that can read these!!! http://blog.wfmu.org/free...1/gallery_of_musi.html

Arvid H. Peterson
Home-brewed VSTs 
M-Audio Fast Track Ultra
Member, ASCAP   

cparmerlee
Max Output Level: -67 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1153
Re: No notation fixes! 2015/01/23 01:55:01 (permalink)
jatoth
All posts about Staff View eventually devolve into

"you really don't need it"

"Yes we do"

"Then buy a real notation program"

"Why can't they just work on this feature?"

Professional copyists and arrangers do use a separate notation program.  That isn't particularly a problem.  But what is needed is tighter convergence between the two worlds.  Today, with considerable effort, a person can dump his Finale score into MIDI and import that into a SONAR project.  From there you have to set up all the synths and then get busy editing MIDI as needed. 

That is a whole lot of work, and unless one is commissioned to produce a rendering that is practically indiscernible from a live orchestra or band, it just isn't worth the trouble, as I see it.

But if some of the tedium could be automated -- such as automatically selecting appropriate instruments, t least as a default starting set, that would change the effort/benefit ratio.  And along these lines, it would be very powerful to have a way to keep the two worlds linked (analogous to Rewire) where one could continue to update the notation score and have these changes reflected in the DAW.

The real problem is that it takes two to tango, and neither Finale nor Sibelius seems to even know that DAWs exist.  Steinberg, OTOH has a major effort underway to produce a new notation product that would compete directly with Finale and Sibelius.  One assumes that this new Steinberg product would naturally be more seamless between notation and DAW.  This is probably still years away.

DAW: SONAR Platinum Audio I/F: Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 gen2
OS: Windows 10 64-bit CPU: Haswell 4790 4.0 GHz, 4 core, 8 thread  Memory: 16 GB      Video: GTX-760Ti
Storage: Sandisk SSD 500GB for active projects. ReadyNAS 20 TB for long-term storage

sonocrafters.com
mudgel
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 12010
Re: No notation fixes! 2015/01/23 04:07:31 (permalink)
vintagevibe
Mark Ellis

Wow even Reaper has notation now?!?  So they feel it's important enough to start from scratch to add it.  Reaper, Avid, Presonus, MOTU, Steinberg, Magix and Apple/Logic think it's important but Cakewalk doesn't.  I don't get it.  

When Cakewalk for Windows 3.1 came out it was a feature of the program and the best notation on Windows at the time.   Then they orphaned it.  Very little was ever done since somewhere around 1992 ish.   

Presonus has a notation Program called Notion. It is not integrated into their other software namely Studio One v2.6.5

Mike V. (MUDGEL)

STUDIO: Win 10 Pro x64, SPlat & CbB x64,
PC: ASUS Z370-A, INTEL i7 8700k, 32GIG DDR4 2400, OC 4.7Ghz.
Storage: 7 TB SATA III, 750GiG SSD & Samsung 500 Gig 960 EVO NVMe M.2.
Monitors: Adam A7X, JBL 10” Sub.
Audio I/O & DSP Server: DIGIGRID IOS & IOX.
Screen: Raven MTi + 43" HD 4K TV Monitor.
Keyboard Controller: Native Instruments Komplete Kontrol S88.
Sidroe
Max Output Level: -55.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1954
Re: No notation fixes! 2015/01/23 07:44:52 (permalink)
I bought Notion in the Cake store when it was only 32 bit. I was so happy with it that I jumped on the 64 bit version as soon as it came out. It is a great product for the money and I still say Cake dropped the ball when it didn't buy it out before Presonus. If the Bakers could have got their hands on that code and integrated it in as a part of Sonar we would be cooking! Anyway, Notion is great for the price. I see Progression 3 is rolling out at $20. Guitar tab notation for that price is a no brainer.

Sonar Platinum, Sonar X3e, Sonar X2a , Sonar X1 Expanded and 8.5.3 (32 and 64 bit), Windows 10 on a Toshiba P75-A7200 Laptop with i7 @ 2.4 quad and 8 gigs of RAM and secondary WD 1 Tb drive, Windows 10 desktop, Asus i5 @ 3.2 quad, 12 gigs RAM, 1 Tb drive, 1 500 gig drive, MOTU 24io, 2 Roland Studio Captures, Saffire 6 USB for laptop, Soundtracs Topaz Project 8 mixer, Alesis Monitor 2s, Event BAS 20/20s, Roland Micro-Monitor BA-8s, and 45 years worth of collecting FX, Mics, Amps, Guitars, and Keyboards!
vintagevibe
Re: No notation fixes! 2015/01/23 08:37:38 (permalink)
mudgel
vintagevibe
Mark Ellis

Presonus has a notation Program called Notion. It is not integrated into their other software namely Studio One v2.6.5

Notion is already somewhat integrated into Studio One and they state they are working on more integration.
microapp
  • Total Posts : 653
Re: No notation fixes! 2015/01/23 09:03:29 (permalink)
I was looking at Reaper earlier this AM.
Personal or biz license (for < $500K biz income) is $60.
Free updates for same version number.
Their development does seem very aggressive. Updates sometimes every few days.
I think the free eval is 60 days.
Not 100% sure the current version has notation but it is coming soon.

Sonar Platinum, Cubase Pro 8.5, Reaper 5, Studio One 2
Melodyne Studio 4, Finale 2012
I7-5820K 4.5GHz, 32 GB DDR4-2800,3 monitors,Win 10 Pro
Toshiba P75-A7100,l7-4900 2.4 Ghz/8MB Win 8.1 Pro
Tascam FW-1884, Emu 0404USB, CMC-AI,Axiom 61
Yamaha HS-50's, Sony SA-W2500, Sennheiser RS170's, ATH-M50
Ibanez Jem7VWH, RG-1570
Jackson DK2-S(Sustainiac),Les Paul Custom
Digitech Valve-FX, GFX-1,TSR-24,RP-90
vintagevibe
Re: No notation fixes! 2015/01/23 12:03:47 (permalink)
microapp
I was looking at Reaper earlier this AM.
Personal or biz license (for < $500K biz income) is $60.
Free updates for same version number.
Their development does seem very aggressive. Updates sometimes every few days.
I think the free eval is 60 days.
Not 100% sure the current version has notation but it is coming soon.

One thing I don't get about Reaper.  It looks like their copy protection is basically the honor system.  I wonder how many "loyal customers" haven't paid for it.
SONARtist
Max Output Level: -79 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 599
Re: No notation fixes! 2015/01/23 12:29:58 (permalink)
I didn't know this thread was still alive ...

But looking around, I found this from way back in 2009.  Although this is a hefty document put forward by around 80+ members (you may recognise yourselves, but regrettably some are no longer with SONAR), I just want to quote below the points which were made on notation, a very small section but with good ideas :-
=================
9 - Staff View Improvements

Staff View improvements including:

Easier way of inputing and editing notes including Tuplets, Triplets and other odd note groupings (i.e. 5's, 7's, 9's, 11's, etc).

Inclusion of more Dynamic & Expression markings with corresponding Velocity and Controller Lanes.
Also an Articulations Lane.
Expressions and Articulations mapping to keyswitches.
Better Chord input.
Inline Staff View in the Track View (similar to the inline PRV).
Option to simultaneously view notation data along with Controller data in PRV.
Ability to easily copy/paste chords/expressions/dynamic markings/lyrics from one stave/track to another.
Ability to change spacing between staves and number of staves to be printed on a page.
Overall, ways to make it easier to work in Staff View emphasizing the need for deep flexibility and control.

=================

I will be voting for some of these on the Features Requests forum.
Page: << < ..678910.. > >> Showing page 6 of 40
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1