Helpful Reply[RESOLVED] The Neverending VST Scan

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
DigitalArchivist
Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 99
Re: The Neverending VST Scan 2013/10/03 00:31:38 (permalink)
Dan Gonzalez [Cakewalk]

Is it safe to say that everyone in this post has 400+plugins? Don't be shy to tell me your number. :)

Dan, not sure of my exact number, but in SONAR X2 Producer, as you may know, it's not capable of handling more than 255 plugins unless you organize them into folders, which is a pain. This applies to be VSTi and VST plugins. I sure hope this problem has been fixed in X3 which I'm now downloading. Certainly the promise of unlimited should also apply to plugins!

Update, October 3, 2013

I've had my PC off and on and it finally finished the scan this evening, but I think that only happened after I removed one of the folders it was looking for which was C:\Program files\Steinberg\VSTplugins or something like that. The plugins installed under C:\Common files\Steinberg\VST3 are all now there. Also, the first time I fired up X3, the auto scan hung up on MeldaProduction's MDrummer large with 16out. I uninstalled the program and will now install it as it supports the VST 3 format.

I was amazed that my plugin count was over 900!

I'm very much looking forward to working further with X3.
post edited by DigitalArchivist - 2013/10/04 00:01:29
scook
Forum Host
  • Total Posts : 24146
Re: The Neverending VST Scan 2013/10/03 00:35:30 (permalink)
Noel answered you here
there is no limit to plug-in count in X3
Eric Beam
Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 132
Re: The Neverending VST Scan 2013/10/03 00:50:16 (permalink)
Nebula is one vst that updates a .xml file in the vst directory while in use. I've noticed the background scanner kicking in with X3 while using Nebula. But I haven't experienced a scan loop on launch.

"Any experiment of interest in life will be carried out at your own expense."
rhythminmind.net - signaltonoize.com - popsound.com
smallstonefan
Max Output Level: -48 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2724
Re: The Neverending VST Scan 2013/10/03 07:02:52 (permalink)
I appreciate your help Noel, and glad I could also contribute to polishing the migration. TRUST ME, I know better than most people the challenge of a new software release! ;)

If I can find some time I'll take a look at the file dates. I am taking tomorrow off, but hope to spend most of it goofing off. I definitely want some time with the new comping tools. :)
TheSteven
Max Output Level: -55 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2037
Re: The Neverending VST Scan 2013/10/03 11:26:25 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby Seth Kellogg [Cakewalk] 2013/10/04 12:22:26
Noel Borthwick [Cakewalk]
I'll alert tech support to put a KB article about this. Perhaps for the next update we can forcibly disable rescan all / failed if automatic background scan is on. That way it will prevent someone getting into this scenario.

Wouldn't it make more sense to have those options function as one time toggles?
Where if you turn them on - that the scanner turns them off as soon as appropriate or at the latest when the next scan is complete?
For example - if I remember correctly Rescan Existing starts off by nuking the existing plug-in database so that option could be modified to turn off as soon as that action is done.

"Time is a great teacher, but unfortunately it kills all its pupils" Loius-Hector Berlioz

www.AgitatedState.com MenuMagic - plug-in management powertools!
My Tunes
Cakewalk Staff
  • Total Posts : 6475
Re: The Neverending VST Scan 2013/10/03 11:43:03 (permalink)
I agree. They are inefficient and unnecessary to be left on permanently. We'll look into it.

Noel Borthwick
Senior Manager Audio Core, BandLab
My Blog, Twitter, BandLab Profile
maxxx
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 7
Re: The Neverending VST Scan 2013/10/04 00:41:07 (permalink)
scook
Noel answered you
there is no limit to plug-in count in X3

Has anyone tested this yet? It seems that X3 will process unlimited number of plug-ins and show a total count (VST, DX, VSTi, DXi etc) that is large but from my testing, it seems that there is still some limitation when you actually try and access the individual VSTS as I'm noting that some VSTis are missing from the 'Default All Plugins' list....is there still a limitation of 255 VSTis in X3?
Cakewalk Staff
Re: The Neverending VST Scan 2013/10/04 08:01:04 (permalink)
There was never a limit of 255 audio plugins. It was much higher than that - more like 600 or more in X2 and earlier - I don't remember the exact number but there was a specific range allotted to plugins, synths etc. We no longer use ranges so this issue has been solved.

Please explain how you are coming to that assumption - where exactly in the UI are you looking for the plugins and which specific plugin is missing? Did the scanner report a count that includes all your plugins? Most likely you are looking in the wrong place or trying to pair up the scanned plugin count with what you see. Or perhaps you have not added a scan path for a plugin folder.  In the plugin browser try using the search box to find the plugin that has been scanned.

The count reported by the scanner includes *all* plugins. VST2, VST3 as well as 32 bit and 64 bit versions that are found in the scan path. However the menus and plugin browser will filter out redundant choices. e.g it will only show a 64 bit version if both flavors exist. Additionally if hide vst2 plugins is checked, SONAR will favor VST3 plugins on the system and hide the corresponding VST2.

I have over 900 plugins on my system and I can access all of them via the plugin browser with the Default - All plugins choice selected.

Noel Borthwick
maxxx
Re: The Neverending VST Scan 2013/10/04 10:43:24 (permalink)
Thanks for your input Noel.
I was referring to TheSteven's posting on KVR dated 25 Jul 2012 entitled "Latest notes on Sonar's maximum plug-in count limit" ( ) which states that plugin limits for X2 are as follows:
"735 audio plug-ins
255 synths
31 rewire devices"
When I scan my X3, "Scan complete. 1008 plugins found" in the little pop-up box in the lower right.
Based on the X2 limit numbers it seems that for audio plug-ins (VST, DX etc) I am within limit but for synths (VSTi, DXi, VST3 synths etc) I seem to be above the limit by almost 20. So I checked them one by one against the files in the selected VST filepaths scanned and also the Manage Layout list vs the Browser list for the missing ones, I also checked that they did not have a corresponding VST3 version eg. Massive (and ensured that these were not redundant choices that were filtered out)
Another example: Retrologue which I have both VST3 and VST2 versions was missing in both.
(For all of these I am using "Default All Plugins")

Anyway, when I took away the excess plugins and kept it within the earlier stated X2 limit, all the missing plug-ins reappeared. This seems to suggest that some sort of limit might be present.
Lest the naysayers say that I should just use a limited number of VSTS, do note that for X2, I keep it within limits and just use the VSTs I need but since it was stated that there were no limits for X3, I was trying to load lots of my freebie VSTs that I had not used for ages just to test them out.

Hence, that is why I was asking if anyone tested the plugin limit - I did and I seem to have missing plug-ins. If I am doing something wrong, I would gladly welcome being pointed in the right direction. Note that I also did the Full VST Rescan Recommended for Upgraders here:

smallstonefan
Max Output Level: -48 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2724
Re: The Neverending VST Scan 2013/10/04 11:09:12 (permalink)
Noel,
I just wanted to update you - I've looked at the VST folders (probably not all of them) and I don't see any files that are being updated by the scanner. If I run across one, I'll certainly let you know...
Cakewalk Staff
Re: The Neverending VST Scan 2013/10/04 11:29:25 (permalink)
maxxx
When I scan my X3, "Scan complete. 1008 plugins found" in the little pop-up box in the lower right.
Based on the X2 limit numbers it seems that for audio plug-ins (VST, DX etc) I am within limit but for synths (VSTi, DXi, VST3 synths etc) I seem to be above the limit by almost 20. So I checked them one by one against the files in the selected VST filepaths scanned and also the Manage Layout list vs the Browser list for the missing ones, I also checked that they did not have a corresponding VST3 version eg. Massive (and ensured that these were not redundant choices that were filtered out)
Another example: Retrologue which I have both VST3 and VST2 versions was missing in both.

Interesting. I'd like to get a registry dump of your VST inventory to look into this. I'll send you a PM with instructions...
Please look at this post for details on which keys to export 

Noel Borthwick
Wildman
Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 80
Re: The Neverending VST Scan 2013/10/04 13:01:51 (permalink)
OK this is solved...so what is the solution?

Win7 Pro 64 Bit, 2 Quad CPU 2.33 GHz, 4 Gb,  SONAR X3, Edirol UA 101, Korg Triton LE, Focusrite Voicemaster, Gibson Les Paul, Epiphone EB3, Samson Resolve 50a, Martin X0001, Levinson Blade Texas Standard Pro 
maxxx
Re: The Neverending VST Scan 2013/10/14 03:28:24 (permalink)
maxxx

Interesting. I'd like to get a registry dump of your VST inventory to look into this. I'll send you a PM with instructions...
Please look at for details on which keys to export 

I just got a PM from Noel that indeed there was an error in the code that was checking for the 255 synth limit and he's managed to fix it. So I do assume that in the next update, the VST plugin limits will be gone for X3 as advertised. Thanks for following up on it Noel.
TheSteven
Max Output Level: -55 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2037
Re: The Neverending VST Scan 2013/10/14 05:16:08 (permalink)
Great news.  Thanks to both Maxx & Noel on resolving this...

"Time is a great teacher, but unfortunately it kills all its pupils" Loius-Hector Berlioz

www.AgitatedState.com MenuMagic - plug-in management powertools!
My Tunes
lawp
Max Output Level: -67 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1154
Re: The Neverending VST Scan 2013/10/14 10:06:22 (permalink)
I'd hope that such fix claims were checked by QA...
asif1125
  • Total Posts : 1
Re: The Neverending VST Scan 2017/11/03 02:28:04 (permalink)
Here's a resolution...
1) set the vst plugins to be manual scan. 
2) make sure that you include only the desired paths in the vst scan path
3) shut down cakewalk
4) cntr-alt-delete and bring up the task manager.
5) kill the cakewalk vst scan process
6) remove the duplicate dlls from your vst paths
7) start up cakewalk and reset the dxi scans
8) answer yes to the "are you sure?" dialog
9) rescan for the new vst's

That's it ... all should be set to what you need. 
revnice1
Max Output Level: -69 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1082
Re: The Neverending VST Scan 2018/06/28 18:59:40 (permalink)
I had a similar problem (93 plugs). I would get two instances of every plug in the finished list and the two instances had the same path. That suggests that the scanner is looping, perhaps due to a plug that failed?

I eventually took Sonar off the machine and reinstalled it. That fixed the scanner looping issue but it now fails to show all plugs in the Default list. I can successfully Add a plug to a custom folder inside the Manager but that plug won't show up in my custom folder outside the manager, i.e. when I want to use it.

Anyone have a clue about that problem?
Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1