Helpful ReplyReaper is an awsome DAW "PERIOD" License $60

Page: << < ..678910 > Showing page 9 of 10
Author
Afrodrum
Max Output Level: -79 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 559
Re: Reaper is awsome for a $60 DAW 2017/12/14 17:06:58 (permalink)
Thanks, it seems 7.0 comes no sooner than 12 months.

Windows 10/64, Intel i7 Xeon X6575 3,07GHz, 24Gb RAM, chipset: Intel X58 Express, Kingston SSD 240Gb,  Sonar Platinum , Edirol UA-25.  (Some extra VSTs: PSP almost all/  IK - AT4, ST3, / AAS - all/ TH3 full/ +10dB/ Melodyne Editor). EVE sc205 monitors, Defil Kosmos guitar, blue lava lamp, ashtray.  And there is some great music you may find at: https://soundcloud.com/pawel-jan-1

the_user_formally_known_as_glennbo
Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 317
Re: Reaper is awsome for a $60 DAW 2017/12/14 18:05:40 (permalink)
azslow3
Afrodrum
Current version is $60 with free upgrades until ver. 6.99. Does it mean another $60 when ver. 7.0 comes out (perhaps with free upgrades until ver. 8.99) ?

Yes. Note that 5.0 is dated 8.2015, 4.0 is dated 8.2011 ... I mean it can take a while till you are asked to pay another $60

Hehe, think of it as "Semi-Lifetime Updates".    ;-)

Glennbo
---------------------------------------------------------
http://soundclick.com/glennbo

azslow3
Max Output Level: -42.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3297
Re: Reaper is awsome for a $60 DAW 2017/12/14 18:35:55 (permalink)
azslow3
Afrodrum
Current version is $60 with free upgrades until ver. 6.99. Does it mean another $60 when ver. 7.0 comes out (perhaps with free upgrades until ver. 8.99) ?

Yes. Note that 5.0 is dated 8.2015, 4.0 is dated 8.2011 ... I mean it can take a while till you are asked to pay another $60

Hehe, think of it as "Semi-Lifetime Updates".    ;-)

Definitively more then Sonar "liftime"

Sonar 8LE -> Platinum infinity, REAPER, Windows 10 pro
GA-EP35-DS3L, E7500, 4GB, GTX 1050 Ti, 2x500GB
RME Babyface Pro (M-Audio Audiophile Firewire/410, VS-20), Kawai CN43, TD-11, Roland A500S, Akai MPK Mini, Keystation Pro, etc.
www.azslow.com - Control Surface Integration Platform for SONAR, ReaCWP, AOSC and other accessibility tools
jbraner
Max Output Level: -57 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1830
Re: Reaper is awsome for a $60 DAW 2017/12/14 21:38:55 (permalink)
I had a full day of playing around today (I had a tooth pulled, and I was supposed to sit and take it easy all day )
I feel more comfortable getting around and setting up keystrokes (and mouse actions) to do things I'm used to.

It's still a little clunky though.
- In MIDI editor (piano roll view), is there a way to save your settings, when you turn off showing velocity in the notes, and set colors to track (rather than velocity) etc? I found it going back to default every time I went back in to the MIDI editor. (maybe it will be better with different themes and saving layouts, screensets etc)

- organising VST FX (instruments aren't so bad) is going to take *months*. I have an elaborate menu system set up in SONAR (which I've tweaked for the last 20 years) and *way* too many plugins to wade through without some organisation. It doesn't help that you can't make sub-folders in the FX Group Folders.

I'll get there eventually, but I have a sore head now. I'm going to go back to "business as usual" in SONAR for a while - then come back to this...

John Braner
https://www.cdbaby.com/Artist/JohnBraner
http://www.soundclick.com/johnbraner

- Intel i7 3770K 3.5GHz
- Windows 10 Pro - 64 bit
- Cakewalk by BandLab x64
- Reaper x64
- 16GB RAM
- Asus P8z77-V mobo - using the integrated Intel graphic card (HD4000)
- MOTU Ultralite AVB audio interface
I usually use ASIO set at 64 or 128 samples
er - that's it I think...
Re: Reaper is awsome for a $60 DAW 2017/12/15 16:18:37 (permalink)
Suddenly my detailed post with answers to John's questions disappeared. See what happens if I make it a new post.

jbraner

- In MIDI editor (piano roll view), is there a way to save your settings, when you turn off showing velocity in the notes, and set colors to track (rather than velocity) etc? I found it going back to default every time I went back in to the MIDI editor. (maybe it will be better with different themes and saving layouts, screensets etc)

If you save your project with those changes, next time you load that project it will still have the options you had set.

- organising VST FX (instruments aren't so bad) is going to take *months*. I have an elaborate menu system set up in SONAR (which I've tweaked for the last 20 years) and *way* too many plugins to wade through without some organisation. It doesn't help that you can't make sub-folders in the FX Group Folders.

The moment you open the FX navigation panel, you'll have a cursor in the filter box, and if you for instance typed "tril", then you would see a list constrained to only show plugins with "tril" in their name.  I only keep a folder for my most favorite and most often used FX, and another for my most favorite instruments. Anything else I'm looking for, I use the filter box at the bottom for finding. It is an "as you type" filter too.

I'll get there eventually, but I have a sore head now. I'm going to go back to "business as usual" in SONAR for a while - then come back to this...

Hope you have a speedy recovery!    ;)

Glennbo

jbraner
Re: Reaper is awsome for a $60 DAW 2017/12/15 20:17:45 (permalink)

If you save your project with those changes, next time you load that project it will still have the options you had set.

OK thanks - I'd rather not have to do it, each time - but I guess when I make a "template" that this will be covered.

The moment you open the FX navigation panel, you'll have a cursor in the filter box, and if you for instance typed "tril", then you would see a list constrained to only show plugins with "tril" in their name. I only keep a folder for my most favorite and most often used FX, and another for my most favorite instruments. Anything else I'm looking for, I use the filter box at the bottom for finding. It is an "as you type" filter too.

Yeah, I see that, but I'm used to working a little differently. I like to see a list of "candidates" to pick from - like a "compressors" folder with my favourite ones at the top, then the rest, then maybe a "more" folder - for when I'm desperate, or feeling adventurous ;-)

I realise that I'll have to change some mind sets, so just thinking about how to go about it.

I'd rather think this through now, in a "playing around" period, than have to stop every 14 minutes when I'm in "creative" mode ;-)

John Braner

- Intel i7 3770K 3.5GHz
- Reaper x64
- 16GB RAM
Re: Reaper is awsome for a $60 DAW 2017/12/15 20:52:29 (permalink)
jbraner

OK thanks - I'd rather not have to do it, each time - but I guess when I make a "template" that this will be covered.

I use my own startup projects as my beginning point. I like to use free item positioning with clips rather than fixed length takes, so my default template has a bunch of tracks set for free item positioning, plus my entire set of Superior Drummer 2 Ludwig drums, all mixed and spanning 8 tracks in a collapsible folder, so I can right away play some drums, or use loops from Superior's library for my metronome. I also have a lot of other stuff tweaked so when I start a new project, a lot of it is already laid out and formatted the way I like to work.

The moment you open the FX navigation panel, you'll have a cursor in the filter box, and if you for instance typed "tril", then you would see a list constrained to only show plugins with "tril" in their name. I only keep a folder for my most favorite and most often used FX, and another for my most favorite instruments. Anything else I'm looking for, I use the filter box at the bottom for finding. It is an "as you type" filter too.

Yeah, I see that, but I'm used to working a little differently. I like to see a list of "candidates" to pick from - like a "compressors" folder with my favourite ones at the top, then the rest, then maybe a "more" folder - for when I'm desperate, or feeling adventurous ;-)

If you were to type "comp" then you will see a constrained list of every compressor you have, unless it doesn't have "comp" in it's name. Yeah, it's different than Sonar, and that is an adjustment you'll either find you can deal with or not.

I've been rehearsing with a band to go out live and play some gigs. They have a set of drums in their studio, so I don't have to bring anything but sticks when I come over. The first time I came over, they kept telling me that I could adjust the drums the way I like them, and were knocked off guard when I told them that I would simply adapt to their setup, and not disturb the owner of the kit's setup. I'm pretty flexible and don't have to have every cymbal or tom in some specific place, but I have seen plenty of drummers who can't even play simple beats if everything isn't in the exact position they like it to be. Hehe, I just keep my eyes open and look for things to hit!  ;)

I realise that I'll have to change some mind sets, so just thinking about how to go about it.

I'd rather think this through now, in a "playing around" period, than have to stop every 14 minutes when I'm in "creative" mode ;-)

Playing around is where it's at. BTW, if you need a drum template or two for Superior let me know, and I'll post 'em somewhere. I'm sure you have every single drum kit they ever made, so any of my setups would translate, sans FX you might not have.

Glennbo

jbraner
Re: Reaper is awsome for a $60 DAW 2017/12/15 21:43:41 (permalink)
Thanks G - I'm using Superior 3 now, and I downloaded (and fixed) a note map (or whatever it's called) ;-)

I just bounce all my drum parts (with bleeds etc) (not even through the mixer) and use my own FX - so I'm good in that dept.

For FX, typing in "comp" won't find the Slate compressors (all in VMR) or the VBC ones. I'll just make my menu 😉

John Braner

- Intel i7 3770K 3.5GHz
- Reaper x64
- 16GB RAM
subtlearts
Max Output Level: -53.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2200
Re: Reaper is awsome for a $60 DAW 2017/12/17 12:47:58 (permalink)
azslow3
What about:
Track: Select all tracks
Item: Select all items
SWS: Horizontal zoom to selected items
SWS: Vertical zoom to selected tracks
Item: unselect all item
Track: Unselect all tracks

That was easy! Man this thing is powerful... what *can't* be achieved with a combination of existing actions, macros and, for those with the affinity for it, a bit of scripting? 

tobias tinker 
music is easy: just start with complete silence, and take away the parts you don't like!
tobiastinker.com
aeosrecords.com
soundfascination.com
Sonar Platinum, a bunch of other stuff...
subtlearts
Max Output Level: -53.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2200
Re: Reaper is awsome for a $60 DAW 2017/12/17 13:02:51 (permalink)
Afrodrum
Thanks, it seems 7.0 comes no sooner than 12 months.

Given that they aren't even at open beta stage for 6 yet, and are still cramming features into the late point upgrades for 5, yes, I think we're safe for a while. And given what they're still adding to 5, one can only assume they have some juicy things in the cooker for 6. The beta could theoretically appear at any time - though it's considered bad form to talk about it outside specific forums, so you have to know where to look (not too hard to find) and play by the rules - and then there would be a beta period, followed by official 6.0 release, then likely a couple of years of point upgrades on that... that is if the existing patterns hold, which seems likely - they run a pretty organized ship. And it's really hard to make the argument that value is not being provided. Reaper really has to be considered a mature, fully-featured DAW at this point, can do a bunch things nothing else can, does it all very stably and efficiently, is ultra-flexible and configurable, and is being developed faster than pretty much anything else on the market. Pricing is more than reasonable, copy protection is basically the honor-system, forum is active and community generally helpful. I am not seeing a downside at this point. 

tobias tinker 
music is easy: just start with complete silence, and take away the parts you don't like!
tobiastinker.com
aeosrecords.com
soundfascination.com
Sonar Platinum, a bunch of other stuff...
DeeringAmps
Max Output Level: -49 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2614
Re: Reaper is awsome for a $60 DAW 2017/12/17 13:38:49 (permalink)
"I'll throw Ozone on the 2-Buss and report back..."
This is currently a very "bare bones" project.
EZDrummer, TTS-1 for bass and keys; hand full of vocal and guitar tracks.
Couple instances of EZMix for guitar sims, two reverbs and delays (Sonitus).
With Ozone 8 and Insight on the 2-Buss (ARC on the Master), it runs fine at 48 samples.
A much more "complex" project "runs" in SPlat at 48; but there is a lot of "hash"; though no drop outs.
Not "scientific" to be sure, but...
T

Tom Deering
Tascam FW-1884 User Resources Page
Firewire "Legacy" Tutorial, Service Manual, Schematic, and Service Bulletins

Win10x64
StudioCat Pro Studio Coffee Lake 8086k 32gb RAM

RME UFX (Audio)
Tascam FW-1884 (Control) in Win 10x64 Pro
Re: Reaper is awsome for a $60 DAW 2017/12/17 15:02:11 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby Soundwise 2018/01/03 21:29:40
DeeringAmps
"I'll throw Ozone on the 2-Buss and report back..."
This is currently a very "bare bones" project.
EZDrummer, TTS-1 for bass and keys; hand full of vocal and guitar tracks.
Couple instances of EZMix for guitar sims, two reverbs and delays (Sonitus).
With Ozone 8 and Insight on the 2-Buss (ARC on the Master), it runs fine at 48 samples.
A much more "complex" project "runs" in SPlat at 48; but there is a lot of "hash"; though no drop outs.
Not "scientific" to be sure, but...
T

BTW, I noticed that you mentioned ARC. I don't use it myself, but on REAPER's View menu is an option called "Monitoring Effects". It is designed for putting things like ARC where you want to monitor through the effect, but not print the effect when you mix down.

That is also a convenient patch point for putting things like spectrum analyzers, VU meters, and other calibration tools. One more thing about the "Monitoring Effects" bin is that it is effective cross-project, in that if you put an effect there, it will be present in ALL your projects, as it only affects what you are hearing, or monitors what you are hearing, and has no effect on the project itself.

Glennbo

DeeringAmps
Max Output Level: -49 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2614
Re: Reaper is awsome for a $60 DAW 2017/12/17 16:09:06 (permalink)
Wow!
Thanks for the heads-up Glen.

T

Tom Deering
Tascam FW-1884 User Resources Page
Firewire "Legacy" Tutorial, Service Manual, Schematic, and Service Bulletins

Win10x64
StudioCat Pro Studio Coffee Lake 8086k 32gb RAM

RME UFX (Audio)
Tascam FW-1884 (Control) in Win 10x64 Pro
Frank Harvey
Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 214
Re: Reaper is awsome for a $60 DAW 2017/12/18 08:07:45 (permalink)
Whilst casually Multi Tasking ...........( & So UnMale   - Apparently ;) ) ........Trialing 3 or 4 Sonar Replacement  DAWS at once...........
Just then Trialed Reaper with Addictive Drums 2. 
Yeah it seems to work fine........not the same modus operandum as SONAR.....but we are all on a fast learning curve hey.
Loaded all the tracks from AD2 into Reaper on separate Tracks ( Yes using the Down Arrows In AD2 GUI - Pre Fader).
BTW........Just so I felt at SOoo @ home .........I trialed importing Ye Ole Sonar Icons as PNG's ( Thanks Photoshop for the BMP to PNG conversions).......plus some cropping and pasting .       
But the Eye Candy continuity helps ... in this new DAW transition for a longtime Sonar player ....LOL
Cheers.Frank

kevmsmith81
Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 259
Re: Reaper is awsome for a $60 DAW 2017/12/18 11:41:48 (permalink)
Frank Harvey
Whilst casually Multi Tasking ...........( & So UnMale   - Apparently ;) ) ........Trialing 3 or 4 Sonar Replacement  DAWS at once...........
Just then Trialed Reaper with Addictive Drums 2. 
Yeah it seems to work fine........not the same modus operandum as SONAR.....but we are all on a fast learning curve hey.
Loaded all the tracks from AD2 into Reaper on separate Tracks ( Yes using the Down Arrows In AD2 GUI - Pre Fader).
BTW........Just so I felt at SOoo @ home .........I trialed importing Ye Ole Sonar Icons as PNG's ( Thanks Photoshop for the BMP to PNG conversions).......plus some cropping and pasting .       
But the Eye Candy continuity helps ... in this new DAW transition for a longtime Sonar player ....LOL
Cheers.Frank

The basics in Reaper are very easy to pull off.  Not delved any deeper than that currently.  I also downloaded Mixbus ($49 - good deal).  Definitely not as intuitive as Reaper or SONAR and will require more learning.

azslow3
Re: Reaper is awsome for a $60 DAW 2017/12/18 22:42:17 (permalink)
My first problems with Reaper:
* crash playing live with 2 soft synth routed from one armed track, with the keyboard duplicating notes on 2 channels. Not immediately, but I always get the crash after 3-5 minutes. May be one of 2 synth... but they produce no problems in almost identical project but with different routing. Will investigate when I have time.
* "cracks" from Rea reverb. After "Save as..." the project and recording new content. Original project has no such effect. Funny. So also to be understood.

If someone think I am negative... at the same point of investigations with Sonar X1, I had only one question: "does this program can do ANYTHING without crashing?". So no, I am rather happy to hit just 2 problems

RME Babyface Pro (M-Audio Audiophile Firewire/410, VS-20), Kawai CN43, TD-11, Roland A500S, Akai MPK Mini, Keystation Pro, etc.
www.azslow.com - Control Surface Integration Platform for SONAR, ReaCWP, AOSC and other accessibility tools
Re: Reaper is awsome for a $60 DAW 2017/12/18 23:06:39 (permalink)
azslow3
My first problems with Reaper:
* crash playing live with 2 soft synth routed from one armed track, with the keyboard duplicating notes on 2 channels. Not immediately, but I always get the crash after 3-5 minutes. May be one of 2 synth... but they produce no problems in almost identical project but with different routing. Will investigate when I have time.
* "cracks" from Rea reverb. After "Save as..." the project and recording new content. Original project has no such effect. Funny. So also to be understood.

If someone think I am negative... at the same point of investigations with Sonar X1, I had only one question: "does this program can do ANYTHING without crashing?". So no, I am rather happy to hit just 2 problems

I think I might know the answer to your second issue. ReaVerb is high precision for mastering convolution verb, BUT there are some check boxes at the bottom to make it more CPU friendly and to make it more zero latency.  Seems like I always
check both boxes when I'm using it.

Glennbo

JoeHans
Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 149
Re: Reaper is awsome for a $60 DAW 2017/12/19 08:51:47 (permalink)
Is there a proper arranger track in Reaper like in Cubase and S1?

Sonar Platinum running on: Intel i7-2600k, ASUS P8Z68-V Pro, Kingston V300 SSD 240GB + OCZ 60GB SSD + Samsung 1TB HDD, 16GB Ram, E-MU 0404 USB
azslow3
Re: Reaper is awsome for a $60 DAW 2017/12/19 10:30:17 (permalink)
JoeHans

I have not advanced myself to this point, but: https://www.soundonsound.com/techniques/power-arranging-reaper

Jeff Evans
Max Output Level: -24 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5139
Re: Reaper is awsome for a $60 DAW 2017/12/19 11:53:41 (permalink)
If arranging is your thing and you want to be able to change up music arrangements, Studio One actually is way ahead in this area.  Creating play lists or moving arrangement markers around in different places is not where it is at.  The problem with this approach is the timeline basically does not change.  In Studio One you can totally rearrange the music and create a new timeline and it plays that way.  Just click and drag whole sections around.  All the audio goes with it.  When you work with this arrangement workflow everything else seems a little clumsy. 

Scratchpads are also excellent arrange options as well. You an create many of them and have a different arrangement in each.  Switching between them is super fast too.  Scratchpads are not just for ideas.  They are ways of altering arrangements as well.  Because the mixing channels don't change only the data playing into them.

Specs i5-2500K 3.5 Ghz - 8 Gb RAM - Win 7 64 bit - ATI Radeon HD6900 Series - RME PCI HDSP9632 - Steinberg Midex 8 Midi interface - Faderport 8- Studio One V4 - iMac 2.5Ghz Core i5 - Sierra 10.12.6 - Focusrite Clarett thunderbolt interface 

Poor minds talk about people, average minds talk about events, great minds talk about ideas -Eleanor Roosevelt
Re: Reaper is awsome for a $60 DAW 2017/12/19 15:58:10 (permalink)
JoeHans

This might give you an idea of how it works.

https://www.youtube.com/w...ure=youtu.be&t=704

Glennbo

Zo
Max Output Level: -25 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5036
Re: Reaper is awsome for a $60 DAW 2017/12/19 15:59:55 (permalink)
JoeHans

Use Régions , it's even enhanced in the last update where régions can overlap but easier to manipulate

Amigos , are you guyz succed to make takes in midi ?  i mean like for exemple ezdrummer , record kik +dnr , stop record hh on the same track and it create another take ect ..

My takes option is checked but i doesn't create takes like in audio mode ....

For sale  (PM me) : transfert ilok included
Eventide Ultrachannel make offers
Softube Summit EQ
IK Neve 1081 , Neve precision Comp/Lim
EastWest Goshtwriter
Soundforge Pro 12

Re: Reaper is awsome for a $60 DAW 2017/12/19 16:09:56 (permalink)
Zo
JoeHans

Use Régions , it's even enhanced in the last update where régions can overlap but easier to manipulate

Amigos , are you guyz succed to make takes in midi ?  i mean like for exemple ezdrummer , record kik +dnr , stop record hh on the same track and it create another take ect ..

My takes option is checked but i doesn't create takes like in audio mode ....

There are two options you might have a look at. One says "hear all takes" or "play all takes" (I'm not at my DAW right now), and the other option is "Free Item Positioning" which has an effect on whether all takes will be identical in length or not.

Glennbo

tfbattag
Max Output Level: -82 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 422
Re: Reaper is awsome for a $60 DAW 2017/12/20 04:10:20 (permalink)
I haven't posted on here in a looooong time.I've been with CW since 1996, so I'm sad.

I use Reaper for some projects and SONAR for others. In some ways, I'm glad I stopped upgrading at X1. It still works when I need it. 

I'm probably inevitably going to switch to ProTools or Logic for some things, but I will always use REAPER for others. I go both ways with Mac and PC, and that is one thing that I love REAPER for. It works great on both platforms, and the experience is the same too. So, I can use my MBP with a UA Apollo at times, and my Windows rig with my RME setup as well. I don't even have to learn much to move between the two.

So, if anybody lives in the Mac/PC duality as I do, REAPER is actually a great DAW to transcend both.

Thomas Battaglia
:wq!
-----------------------------------------------------------
Intel DP35DP, Q6600, 6GB RAM, Win7Pro x64; RME HDSPe RayDAT; RME ADI8-DS x2, RME ADI-2.
JoeHans
Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 149
Re: Reaper is awsome for a $60 DAW 2017/12/20 07:27:33 (permalink)
JoeHans

This might give you an idea of how it works.

https://www.youtube.com/w...ure=youtu.be&t=704

Thanks! That explained it clearly. Looks better than arranging in Sonar and I think I could live with this.

I'm still torn between Cubase, Studio One and Reaper. All seem like very good DAWs but for different reasons. All this comparison makes my head hurt. 

Sonar Platinum running on: Intel i7-2600k, ASUS P8Z68-V Pro, Kingston V300 SSD 240GB + OCZ 60GB SSD + Samsung 1TB HDD, 16GB Ram, E-MU 0404 USB
emwhy
Max Output Level: -62 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1402
Re: Reaper is awsome for a $60 DAW 2017/12/22 14:58:38 (permalink)
Been working with Reaper for about 2 weeks. A lot of trial and (mostly) error in that time frame, but I will go out on a limb and say that if the inevitable happens with SONAR I will be switching to Reaper. It's not just the price, but once you get over the hump of how to configure things, this is one very powerful program. What I like is that it recognizes all my DirectX plug-ins and even allows me launch Adobe Audition as an external editor which is huge with all the voice-over and broadcast work I do. Yesterday I set up a 12 track drum mix with about 20-24 vsts and it played back fine. What I really liked was that I had 2 instances of Ozone, one on the drum bus, the other on the master bus and the CPU barely usage blinked (to be fair this was on an i7 desktop with 8 cores). The only downside to reaper is probably its biggest upside in that there are so many options for the user to configure it can become off-putting and somewhat daunting if you only have experience with one or two DAWS. The UI is a little clunky as well, but once I found a more appealing theme online things started to perk up for me. So I will continue to take my time with this program, maybe wait for the next full version and then probably switch over.

jbraner
Re: Reaper is awsome for a $60 DAW 2017/12/22 16:29:19 (permalink)
I'll tell you what -
I've been playing around recording some guitar tracks.
I still have to get my head around how the "lanes" and "takes" work, and how to clear them out and organise them etc - but it is running at *way* lower latencies than I could get in SONAR.
So far, it's working perfectly at 64 samples, and I put it down to 32, and it played fine (with CPU higher - as expected). I'll need to record at these settings - and add more FX and audio tracks to stress it a bit better - but I could *never* play at latencies like this in SONAR (even with these small amounts of tracks).

I'm still on the learning curve - but I'm pretty sure this will do everything I need it to ;-) 

John Braner

- Intel i7 3770K 3.5GHz
- Reaper x64
- 16GB RAM
Re: Reaper is awsome for a $60 DAW 2017/12/23 04:11:28 (permalink)
emwhy
Been working with Reaper for about 2 weeks. A lot of trial and (mostly) error in that time frame, but I will go out on a limb and say that if the inevitable happens with SONAR I will be switching to Reaper. It's not just the price, but once you get over the hump of how to configure things, this is one very powerful program. What I like is that it recognizes all my DirectX plug-ins and even allows me launch Adobe Audition as an external editor which is huge with all the voice-over and broadcast work I do. Yesterday I set up a 12 track drum mix with about 20-24 vsts and it played back fine. What I really liked was that I had 2 instances of Ozone, one on the drum bus, the other on the master bus and the CPU barely usage blinked (to be fair this was on an i7 desktop with 8 cores). The only downside to reaper is probably its biggest upside in that there are so many options for the user to configure it can become off-putting and somewhat daunting if you only have experience with one or two DAWS. The UI is a little clunky as well, but once I found a more appealing theme online things started to perk up for me. So I will continue to take my time with this program, maybe wait for the next full version and then probably switch over.

Once you get stuff setup in REAPER the way you want it, then you are done with ever tweaking it, and from then on you can just record and never think about any settings again. The only exception to that rule is when you find out through the user forum that some feature you didn't know was lurking in the background, and decide to go play with it.  I recently became aware that you can create a VCA track and VCA groups, which is a deep level function, but offers some advantages over busses and folders.

The other thing I just became aware of and tried out this morning is setting the WASPI Loopback driver, which will let you record anything being played through Windows audio. Straight away, I hit YouTube and tried it. Sure enough it works, and should also work with anything else you can play from any source, provided it is playing through Windows audio.

Glennbo

Re: Reaper is awsome for a $60 DAW 2017/12/23 04:16:08 (permalink)
jbraner
it is running at *way* lower latencies than I could get in SONAR.
So far, it's working perfectly at 64 samples, and I put it down to 32, and it played fine (with CPU higher - as expected). I'll need to record at these settings - and add more FX and audio tracks to stress it a bit better - but I could *never* play at latencies like this in SONAR (even with these small amounts of tracks).

That was my first experience with it too. Then I found out I could leave it at those low latency settings and even pull stuff off like recording through an amp sim way late into a project because I was still running at 64 samples latency, even with a bunch of tracks and a bunch of FX already in use.

Glennbo

JohnKenn
Max Output Level: -58.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1659
Re: Reaper is awsome for a $60 DAW 2017/12/25 01:24:49 (permalink)
Been with Reaper since version 1. Watched the beautiful transition from an audio only bare bones toy of a recorder into the gem it has become. When it came out, Reaper could not stand in Sonar's shadow. But now is now, way different game.
Not a power user since I've only ever needed 5 percent or less of the capabilities, which iz why I appreciate tips from the user base here.
Someone was in a discussion about Melodyne, pitch correction stuff. I have some Izotrope teaser.
Mention made that ReaTune did pitch correction as we are waiting for safe ARA implementation.

Good grief... I've used ReaTune for years as a guitar tuner. Never opened the other tabs for pitch correction til one of you guys advised to check it out..
The thing actually works. Low latency. Basics there and they work well. Way cool.

John
Page: << < ..678910 > Showing page 9 of 10
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1