Reclaiming SATA for audio

Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 5 of 26
Author
losguy
Max Output Level: -20 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5506
RE: Reclaiming SATA for audio 2004/03/30 19:26:25 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: Slaine
Yep very strange... In the device manager I see "SCSI/RAID Host Controller" and "Silicon Image SiI 3112 SATARaid Controller".
I'll check what is actually on hte PCB in the morning I guess

Probably no need, if Windows already recognizes it that way. While playing around in PowerStrip, you may have zeroed out the PCI latency on the SATA controller by accident. If you do that, it gets stuck at zero. But you can unstick it, from right inside PowerStrip. Find the "return to default" button (little square button near the lower right corner, with the clockwise arrow) and click on it. At the next reboot, the latency will be set back to the driver default, hopefully nonzero. (Evidently PowerStrip does not bother with storing the device driver default values.)

I say "hopefully nonzero" because I found that my SATA controller needed a certain amount of dedicated time set aside on the PCI bus (e.g. nonzero PCI latency) to guarantee no audio glitches.

Question: I am running in Andvanced Configuration and Power Interface (ACPI) mode... is this likely to have anything to do with the mystery?

Doubt it. You can read up on this extensively elsewhere on this thread and forum.

(...Stuck not Disabling Creative Firewire...)
*shruggs* I guess so ... but there are worse things in life.

True. Have you looked for a jumper setting on the card that could disable it? Read that manual!

I'll try reducing the latency on the audio card when everything else is glitch free.

Again, click the Return to Default button on this one too, just to be sure. And FYI, it might actually take reducing the latency on that audio card in order to get glitch free in the first place. Remember, PCI latencies aren't about raw power, they're about achieving a proper balance of power. Yes, they can be too high, even on your audio card, as well as too low.
< Message edited by losguy -- 3/30/2004 6:32:12 PM >

Psalm 30:12
All pure waves converge at the Origin
Slaine
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 6
RE: Reclaiming SATA for audio 2004/03/30 19:40:40 (permalink)
I feel I have a bit of a session of ballancing Latencies ahead of me now but thanks for the pointers. I'll report back if I have any results...

bandasound
Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 277
RE: Reclaiming SATA for audio 2004/03/30 19:54:02 (permalink)
This system threw me a curveball. Your MOBO, the Abit NF-7S actually implements its SATA "onboard" using what Abit calls a SERILLEL. It's a quirky little device that hangs off of your IDE connector, letting you hook up a SATA device and a single PATA IDE device to an IDE channel. I haven't used one of these things, so I must presume that the SATA device acts as the IDE Master. I wondered if in this arrangement the SATA drive suffered bandwidth from funneling through the IDE port (not that it matters at today's platter transfer rates), but no, they claim full 150MBps SATA, so they must have hot-rodded the IDE port for 150MBps (sort of like a special "ATA150" mode) just for the SERILLEL.

Anyway, I'm not sure if I can answer your question. You say, "will this matter". Matter for what? Are you experiencing glitches? If not, then you are fine, leave it as it is....

sorry if i was not more descirptive...but i do have a RAID controller on the NF7-s mobo. it even shows it in the BIOS. i'm not using it at the moment but what i was wondering was the PCI latency issue. and it did come with the raid utilitie on the mobo. and from what i gather ...serillel is just a name for SATA...now i could be wrong but the drive works like a champ and this mobo seems to be one of the best mobo i have use for speed. has anyone here run into issue with the NF7-s rev.2 ( i made sure it was rev 2...btw)
...wicked
Max Output Level: -1.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 7360
RE: Reclaiming SATA for audio 2004/03/31 01:21:35 (permalink)
Here is the recipe that worked for me (and maybe could work for you):
1) Start where you finished off before. Resolve all IRQ conflicts, and be sure to place your audio card in a non-IRQ-shared PCI slot. Look in the PCI table of your motherboard manual for the highest-priority slot that does not share with another device or another slot. (For the A7N8X Deluxe, the PCI table is on page 17. You should use PCI Slot 4, preferably with no other slots filled.) Don't worry about taking your computer off of ACPI. Judging by other posts, it doesn't make any real difference. I have ACPI enabled and it works fine for me.

Holy cow. I don't believe it.

You know, I have two other active threads going on about my computer woes at the moment, and I zoomed on into this one just because I figured "hey, SATA, don't know alot about it but it's on my mobo, let's check it out.". Turns out:

1: You have the same hardware config as I
2: My two weeks of UGH were solved right here.

I switched my sound card from PCI 5 to PCI 4 and VOILA! No more crashes, no more freezes. I think I'm fully operational now.

THANK YOU SO MUCH. Not only that but this thread kicks ass. Thx for the sharing and feel free to perseverate more!

===========
The Fog People
===========

Intel i7-4790 
16GB RAM
ASUS Z97 
Roland OctaCapture
Win10/64   

SONAR Platinum 64-bit    
billions VSTs, some of which work    
losguy
RE: Reclaiming SATA for audio 2004/03/31 16:03:14 (permalink)
Glad that it helped, Mr. ..wicked. As they say, "No rest for the wicked." Maybe now you can get some sleep?

Slaine
RE: Reclaiming SATA for audio 2004/04/01 11:51:28 (permalink)
*scratches head in confusion*

Sorry to bug the thread but I'm having no joy with this CMD RAID controller...

it's on IRQ 11 which is the same one as the Silicon Image controller (according to windows), which leads me to believe it's the same thing...

However it appears that the default latency settings is zero and this is greyed out (="locked at zero" ?) even when I reset or even reinstall Powerstrip... the mystery seems to continue.

losguy, what PCB version is your mobo?
losguy
RE: Reclaiming SATA for audio 2004/04/01 13:04:44 (permalink)
My PCB is ver 1.4. What's yours? Just out of curiosity... it really shouldn't matter, but they may have changed later versions.

You said in an earlier post that you got your SiI3112 driver from Silicon Image. You might want to try this one from ASUS instead. It's specifically for the A7N8X Delixe MOBO, not a generic one. (That is your MOBO, right? Not the A7N8X-E Deluxe?).

Slaine
RE: Reclaiming SATA for audio 2004/04/01 13:44:08 (permalink)
mine's the A7N8X Deluxe PCB v2.0
Cheers, I'll give that driver a go...
losguy
RE: Reclaiming SATA for audio 2004/04/01 14:03:59 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: ...wicked
Holy cow. I don't believe it.
You know, I have two other active threads going on about my computer woes at the moment, and I zoomed on into this one just because I figured "hey, SATA, don't know alot about it but it's on my mobo, let's check it out.". Turns out:
1: You have the same hardware config as I
2: My two weeks of UGH were solved right here.

Hey ...wick, now that your problem's licked, why not go back to those threads and tell them the good news too, if they haven't already heard. Maybe somebody else with card problems but who doesn't have SATA at the top of their list could be helped, too. Just a throught...

...wicked
Max Output Level: -1.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 7360
RE: Reclaiming SATA for audio 2004/04/01 17:09:46 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: losguy

Hey ...wick, now that your problem's licked, why not go back to those threads and tell them the good news too, if they haven't already heard. Maybe somebody else with card problems but who doesn't have SATA at the top of their list could be helped, too. Just a throught...

Good idea, consider it done!

===========
The Fog People
===========

Intel i7-4790 
16GB RAM
ASUS Z97 
Roland OctaCapture
Win10/64   

SONAR Platinum 64-bit    
billions VSTs, some of which work    
losguy
RE: Reclaiming SATA for audio 2004/04/01 17:21:36 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: ...wicked
Good idea, consider it done!

Cool... Thanks!

caveman
  • Total Posts : 40
RE: Reclaiming SATA for audio 2004/04/01 22:32:27 (permalink)
Losguy and Wicked thanks

I just want to clarify as I am not so technical inclined. Youre all truly gifted.

I am looking at building a system with the Athlon Xp 2500+ mobile on the Abit NF7-S motherboard. I have a serial ATA drive. Losguy or wiked, based on the reading are you saying that using a Serial ATA drive is good to go on the a7ns? What if I hook up two serial ATA drives, in a non raid, just standard?

Also what slot is recommended for the soundcard on Abit NF7-S ?

If you were to build a system today, is there any other Motherboard CPU you would recommend for using many VSTI instruments?

How many tracks and VST instruments do you guys get with the NFORCE 2 chipset?

Also How does the RAM work on these motherboards? I was thinking of putting in 2GB. Is this too much? or should I only go with 1GB> What is more beneficial 1.5GB single ram or 1GB dual channell?

what videocard will work well for a DAW on this motherboard thats rock solid?

Pheww!!! I know these are many quesions, but the Abit NF7-S ooks like a killer board. Thanks

Caveman
< Message edited by caveman -- 4/1/2004 10:37:32 PM >
losguy
RE: Reclaiming SATA for audio 2004/04/01 23:37:42 (permalink)
caveman, I'd recommend that you search around or just start a new thread. You're asking a system-building question. That question's been asked & covered elsewhere extensively.

Back on page 1 of this thread, you'll find instructions on how to find the right slot. It's all about the PCI IRQ table, and finding the "free" slot.

alf3
  • Total Posts : 2
RE: Reclaiming SATA for audio 2004/04/05 05:20:55 (permalink)
Hi, I have an Abit NF7-S, 1 IDE and 1 SATA drive, i got the nasty noises in audio when using the SATA HD, i installed PowerStrip and change the latencies according losguy but still can`t make it work, i installed last bios and last Sata Drive for the mobo too, the 3112A, same problem but still can`t solve it.
losguy
RE: Reclaiming SATA for audio 2004/04/11 13:22:06 (permalink)
alf,

Sorry for the late reply... been away for a week on vacation.

Your MOBO has a configuration similar to the A7N8X. You haven't mentioned whether or not you have isolated IRQ's or not. If you haven't, then that's the first thing to try.

First, you must reset all of your PCI latency timers back to their default (driver) values, either by using the restore button in PowerStrip, or by uninstalling PowerStrip, then rebooting. Then, follow this article completely.

See if isolating IRQ's helps, then come back and tell us if it did.

EDIT: On the subject of isolating IRQ's: Out of curiosity, I downloaded and read over the maunal for your MOBO. At the bottom of page 4-28, you will find that PCI slots 1 and 5 are hardwired to the SiI3112 SATA controller IRQ line. So, you should never plug any PCI cards into those slots, especially your audio card. Happy Easter/Passover/Resurrection Day!
< Message edited by losguy -- 4/11/2004 4:12:27 PM >

alf3
  • Total Posts : 2
RE: Reclaiming SATA for audio 2004/04/12 13:06:39 (permalink)
Losguy, Thx very much for the help, anyway, i sold my SATA HD last week. I check the IRQ thing and both the soundcard ( delta 44 ) and the Ati 9600 was using the same IRQ ( 19 ) , so, i changed the Delta to another PCI slot and now they are not using the same IRQ. Some integrated functions of the motherboard ( USB , Network ) are using the same IRQ, i think that`s not posible to change, for example Nforce Networking and Host USB are both in IRQ 22. I notice anyway in the Mobo Bios up to IRQ 15 you can do some manual controlling, so Irq 22 ? 19 ? uffffffffff, i`m not a PC tech at all, anyway, i learn a lot about this bad experience, Thanks.
losguy
RE: Reclaiming SATA for audio 2004/04/12 13:31:53 (permalink)
No problem, sorry it didn't work out. Thanks for checking back, though.

billkath
Max Output Level: -69 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1076
RE: &lt;span class="high"&gt;Reclaiming&lt;/span&gt; &lt;span class="high"&gt;SATA&lt;/spa 2004/04/27 20:07:45 (permalink)
Losguy,
just wanted to say thanks (in the front door!!) for that pci latency tip. Really helped me out with my layla24. I tried it yesterday, and then couldn't find who had posted about it to thank them personally.
Thank you!!

Billy E
HeartBeat Studios
losguy
RE: &lt;span class="high"&gt;Reclaiming&lt;/span&gt; &lt;span class="high"&gt;SATA&lt;/spa 2004/04/27 21:59:32 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: billkath
Losguy,
just wanted to say thanks (in the front door!!) for that pci latency tip. Really helped me out with my layla24. I tried it yesterday, and then couldn't find who had posted about it to thank them personally.
Thank you!!

Bill, it's good to know, and I'm happy for you and for your DAW. Well then, why not just pour me a Guinness down at the pub? Oh darn, I won't be there to drink it in time! (Well, you'll just have to think of something to do with it, then...!)

Edit: Bill, I'm just pulling your chain. No cross-country slurs nor any offense whatsoever intended! P.S. You do Roy Orbison proud.
< Message edited by losguy -- 4/30/2004 4:39:37 PM >

Cato
  • Total Posts : 254
RE: Reclaiming SATA for audio 2004/05/19 06:51:00 (permalink)
AWESOME,

I know this thread is from January, however I feel crazy for not havinf read this by now. Tons of thank you come from atlanta man. Your post was very helpful, detailed and right on time.

Please keep posting!
mcdonalk
Max Output Level: -80 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 547
RE: Reclaiming SATA for audio 2004/05/19 10:48:21 (permalink)
Excellent information, losguy.

As a result, I have put a short hold on my PC purchase so that I can investigate whether its ASUS P4C800-E motherboard implements the Promose SATA controller on the PCI bus or on the 875P southbridge interface.

thanks!

Keith
losguy
RE: Reclaiming SATA for audio 2004/05/19 12:12:39 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: Cato
AWESOME,
I know this thread is from January, however I feel crazy for not havinf read this by now. Tons of thank you come from atlanta man. Your post was very helpful, detailed and right on time.
Please keep posting!

You're quite welcome. It's never too late to make the right decision. Glad that it helped!

losguy
RE: Reclaiming SATA for audio 2004/05/19 12:15:19 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: mcdonalk
Excellent information, losguy.
As a result, I have put a short hold on my PC purchase so that I can investigate whether its ASUS P4C800-E motherboard implements the Promose SATA controller on the PCI bus or on the 875P southbridge interface.
thanks!
Keith

Keith, you really don't need to worry about that board. The 875P has the ICH5 Southbridge with integrated SATA support. Just make sure that you use the integrated SATA for audio and not any other onboard SATA controller. Look back on this thread and you'll find discussion on this topic. Go for it!

simulacreant
  • Total Posts : 23
RE: &lt;span class="high"&gt;Reclaiming&lt;/span&gt; &lt;span class="high"&gt;SATA&lt;/spa 2004/05/19 12:16:50 (permalink)
Hi,
What was your Layla24 problem and how did you fix it?
Thanks!
swing
  • Total Posts : 15
RE: &lt;span class="high"&gt;Reclaiming&lt;/span&gt; &lt;span class="high"&gt;SATA&lt;/spa 2004/05/22 02:32:48 (permalink)
if there's no chipset doing dual memory channels and integrated SATA at the same time for Athlon XP, wonder how Scott rigs his DAW1 on a Abit mobo and still stay away from heavy traffic on PCI bus - Powerstrip from the start?
Jay Stephen
  • Total Posts : 267
RE: Reclaiming SATA for audio 2004/05/22 14:47:56 (permalink)
Hello Losguy, You must have one of the longest running threads around and obviously very helpful. Below is my mobo table. I would really appreciate if you could tell me what slot to put my Delta 44 PCI card in.

Slot----- A B C D E F G H
PCI Slot 1 - - - - - shared - -
PCI Slot 2 - - - - - - shared -
PCI Slot 3 - - - - - - - shared
PCI Slot 4 - - - - shared - - -
PCI Slot 5 - - - - - shared - -
AGP shared used - - - - - -
USB HC0 shared - - - - - - -
USB HC1 - - - used - - - -
USB HC2 - - used - - - - -
USB HC3 shared - - - - - - -
USB 2.0 - - - - - - - shared
Onboard LAN - - - - - - shared -
Onboard SATA- - - - - - - shared
Onboard 1394 - - - - shared - - -

I don't use LAN. I use USBHC3, SATA and Firewire.

Many thanks.
< Message edited by Jay Stephen -- 5/22/2004 3:00:01 PM >
losguy
RE: Reclaiming SATA for audio 2004/05/24 10:27:46 (permalink)
Hello Jay,

Wow, this is by far the worst case of onboard peripheral IRQ sharing I've seen yet on a MOBO. (BTW, what is the Make and Model of this MOBO?) I'm not sure whether to congratulate you or offer my sympathies. FWIW, I have decided to take this board on as a special challenge.

For starters, I rearranged your PCI table and changed it to "code font" for easier readability:

A B C D E F G H
PCI 1 - - - - - s - -
PCI 5 - - - - - s - -
PCI 2 - - - - - - s -
LAN - - - - - - s -
PCI 3 - - - - - - - s
USB2.0 - - - - - - - s
SATA - - - - - - - s
PCI 4 - - - - s - - -
1394 - - - - s - - -
AGP s u - - - - - -
USBHC0 s - - - - - - -
USBHC3 s - - - - - - -
USBHC1 - - - u - - - -
USBHC2 - - u - - - - -

Now it's obvious that PCI Slots 1 and 5 share IRQ line F, Slot 2 and LAN share line G, Slot 3 shares line H with USB2.0 and SATA, and Slot 4 shares with 1394. Also, AGP shares line A with USBHC0 and USBHC3.

We'll start with the Delta 44 card:

1) You could put it in either PCI Slot 1 or 5, but then make sure to leave the other one empty. I'd recommend the farthest slot away from the AGP card, which most likely is Slot 5.
2) Since LAN is disabled, you could put it in Slot 2.
EDIT: This gives you two workable options for the PCI card slot. This could be helpful to you later, for satisfying ACPI and having the audio card still on its own IRQ.

Now some other recommendations for you:

If you plan to use SATA for audio:
1) Leave PCI Slot 3 empty to avoid timing conflicts.
2) Avoid using USB2.0 at all. (Sorry! That's just the way your MOBO is wired!)

If you plan to use USB2.0 for audio:
1) Leave PCI Slot 3 empty to avoid timing conflicts.
2) Avoid accessing your SATA drive during record/playback/monitor. (Sorry! That's just the way your MOBO is wired!)

Also, you should avoid having anything sitting on USBHC0 or USBHC3 to avoid timing conflicts with your AGP card. USBHC1 and USBHC2 are perfectly fine, though.

Hope that helps, and I do hope you get your system sorted out. The good news is that you ought to be able to get it running cleanly, but the bad news is that you will have to avoid certain hardware combinations (outlined above) to do so.
< Message edited by losguy -- 5/24/2004 1:58:25 PM >

Jay Stephen
  • Total Posts : 267
RE: Reclaiming SATA for audio 2004/05/24 16:45:01 (permalink)
Many thanks again - especially for taking this on.
(BTW, what is the Make and Model of this MOBO?)
I thought it was a common DAW mobo. Its a ASUS P4C800-E.

I have kept USB 2.0 disabled since I built the PC. The mobo allows me to activate 2, 4, 6 or 8 USB ports but they have to be activated in order - HC0, HC1, HC2, etc. So HC0 is activated for my M-Audio UNO Midi connection.

I'm embarrased to tell you that I had a struggle getting that table into the forum. You made it look easy!.

I understand that A > H is also in decending order of "PCI timing priority" so I had chosen Slot 4 because I didn't need the 1394. I have had 2-SATA drives since I assembled this DAW. I have ordered a Tascam FW-1884 and will remove the Delta-44 when it arrives. The Tascam connects to the PC with Firewire and of course I'll open up the 1394.

These devices are disabled in BIOS: serial, parallel, onboard audio/midi, onboard LAN, onboard Promise. No overclocking, everything else set to defaults.

I'm very grateful that you will take this on and I assume knowing the rest of the config will help:

Here is my dedicated DAW: (no LAN, no WP, just DAW)
P-4-2.8 HT 500K cache, 800 FSB
ASUS P4C800 E - latest BIOS with HT enabled.
2x512MB 3200 DDR
System Drive: 10Gig SCSI -FAT32 w/ADAPTEC controller
Audio Drives: 80GIG & 160GIG Seagate SATA w/8 MB cache - NTFS
M-Audio Delta 44 - May 17, 2004 latest drivers.
Matrox G450 Dual display.
Win XP-SP1
All the "Black Viper" audio tweaks for DAW!
Sonar 3.1.1 w/HT activated

Jay.
SteveJL
Max Output Level: -29 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4644
RE: Reclaiming SATA for audio 2004/05/24 16:58:22 (permalink)
Please forgive my ignorance, but how do I access that table on my PC?

tia
Steve

losguy
RE: Reclaiming SATA for audio 2004/05/24 17:23:17 (permalink)
Unfortunately, the PCI table is not available directly from your PC. You must go to your MOBO manual to find this table.

IMHO, the PCI table is so crucial to system tuning that it should be available online somehow, at least in the BIOS. But it's not. Like PCI latencies and so much else in PCI-land, there is no standard for reporting these values.

On the subject, for the future, we should at least provide links to online MOBO manuals, with page numbers for the PCI tables, as we report and/or describe our systems. FWIW, I have already done so for mine (ASUS A7N8X Deluxe) a few pages back on this thread.

Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 5 of 26
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1