Helpful ReplySome observations about StudioOne 3

Page: < 12345 > Showing page 4 of 5
Author
BobF
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 8124
Re: Some observations about StudioOne 3 2017/03/14 19:07:44 (permalink)
I would like SO a lot better if it had proper track templates ... and separate loop and punch markers

Overall I do really like it though

Bob  --
Angels are crying because truth has died ...
Illegitimi non carborundum
--
Studio One Pro / i7-6700@3.80GHZ, 32GB Win 10 Pro x64
Roland FA06, LX61+, Fishman Tripleplay, FaderPort, US-16x08 + ARC2.5/Event PS8s 
Waves Gold/IKM Max/Nomad Factory IS3/K11U

Jeff Evans
Max Output Level: -24 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5139
Re: Some observations about StudioOne 3 2017/03/14 20:03:59 (permalink)
I think Craig summed it up rather nicely and that is you pick your DAW to suit your needs. And for me and my needs Studio One is the better choice. Not the better DAW remember.

It has superior midi timing especially with external hardware. Midi timing does not get effected when the audio side of the program is working hard. The gapless engine allows me to jump midi tracks on the fly and record into any parts on any tracks. (Sonar cannot do this BTW) It merges midi parts much better and easier.

Coming on here after using Sonar for thousands of hours and Studio One for five minutes is also a useless scenario as well. I have been using Studio One for thousands of hours and not Sonar so for me the GUI is nicer, much more intuitive and other DAW's feel clunky for me. Plus I know Studio One probably a thousand times better and deeper than any of you here and even the people who use it regularly as well. It has tons of features that most know nothing about. Sonar may be powerful but it is over complex at times and it is quite amazing how Studio One can perform the most complex of tasks with only one click. 

Latency, well on my Win 7 machine with an RME sound card (PCI based of course) I can run 32 samples easily and the latency is like 2-3 mS or so. I also have a Mac now and just bolted a Focusrite interface to it (painless BTW) and I am having like 1.2 mS latency over the thunderbolt port. So for me it is the fastest thing I have ever encountered. (Are any of you experiencing 1.2 mS BTW?) Playing virtual instruments is super fast now and just like the hardware. Latency has less to do with the DAW so much. There are other variables. It is pretty nice having the same program on the Mac too. 

The scratchpads are amazing as also the arrange ruler now. To be able to just drag entire sections of the song around is quite excellent. It all plays super well too. Better than looking at some list. Better to see it and hear it. Waveform changes height as you adjust clip gain. This is no brainer. This is fast.

Oh and I have never had a crash in all the time I have been using it. I push it hard for weeks on end, no crashes, super stable. I could leave it on, walk away from it and come back a week later and it will still play perfectly. I push it hard under pressure and it never falls over.  It has never crashed in front of a client. 

It is all about what you know. I go into a studio and watch masterful Pro Tools guys whip around the program in ways I could never do. I am sure many of you are very very skilled at using Sonar. I would be struggling.

This is not the place to find out out about Studio One either. The Presonus forum is, and once you spend time watching all the tutorials and videos on it you will start to see what I mean. I find here is the place to learn about Sonar features though and should I ever go back, here is where I will do the research.

You guys are lucky too having someone like Craig too really knowing Sonar well. He knows a lot about Sonar.  He is not the only one though, there are a few Craigs over on the Presonus forum who know Studio One as well as Craig knows Sonar so we have got some good people as well.

The main thing is all DAW's make great music and sound great and at the end of the day that is really the crux of the matter isn't it. It is how the music effects your listeners emotionally. They are not sitting back and wondering what DAW you used.

Specs i5-2500K 3.5 Ghz - 8 Gb RAM - Win 7 64 bit - ATI Radeon HD6900 Series - RME PCI HDSP9632 - Steinberg Midex 8 Midi interface - Faderport 8- Studio One V4 - iMac 2.5Ghz Core i5 - Sierra 10.12.6 - Focusrite Clarett thunderbolt interface 

Poor minds talk about people, average minds talk about events, great minds talk about ideas -Eleanor Roosevelt
Hugh Mann
Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 59
Re: Some observations about StudioOne 3 2017/03/14 20:07:11 (permalink)
I started on PA9,  then moved to Cubase VST 5,  then to Sonar 4,5,6,7 and 8.5.     I got very frustrated with Sonar and kept hoping the next version would be the one I was looking for.  But that version never came, so I gave up.  I moved to Studio One.  I really have loved that program.  My workflow drastically improved and I don't feel like I'm wrestling against the program like I did with Sonar.  I do have some quibbles with Studio One. I really don't like the mix page. Along the way I also tried pro tools, logic, Ableton,  and FL studio.  But I never really liked any of those the way I liked Studio One.  Now I'm thinking of revisiting some older 8.5 projects, but I don't want to install 8.5.  It gives me anxiety to think about dealing with that program again, lol.  I may get the latest sonar instead, but that's $99 and it don't grow on trees.  Hopefully things have gotten much better since 8.5. 
cparmerlee
Max Output Level: -67 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1153
Re: Some observations about StudioOne 3 2017/03/14 20:13:41 (permalink)
Jeff Evans
This is not the place to find out out about Studio One either.

Agreed, and that was never the intention of this thread. I was instead looking for first impressions. I do think it is useful to capture first impressions because in a competitive marketplace, that may be the only look that SONAR gets. I do feel that the SONAR community is a HUGE advantage, but that can also be a disadvantage if it gives the company false comfort that everything is OK as is.  There clearly are some rough areas with SONAR that would be off-putting to a new user, and I don't think any harm is done with an occasional reality check.

I also agree with the comment above about SO's listing of plug-ins. On one hand, there is some merit to their browser displaying the "face" of the plug-in and also exposing the available presets. But the overall impact is rather cluttered and disorganized. I think SONAR is a little better and more scalable, but I also think there is room for improvement in this part of SONAR's UI. Overall, my impression of the plug-ins in SO Pro is that they are OK, but not really great and completely inconsistent from one to the next.

DAW: SONAR Platinum Audio I/F: Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 gen2
OS: Windows 10 64-bit CPU: Haswell 4790 4.0 GHz, 4 core, 8 thread  Memory: 16 GB      Video: GTX-760Ti
Storage: Sandisk SSD 500GB for active projects. ReadyNAS 20 TB for long-term storage

sonocrafters.com
Jeff Evans
Re: Some observations about StudioOne 3 2017/03/14 20:22:45 (permalink)
Once again you are demonstrating lack of knowledge. Plugins can be organised in very clever ways. You can create your own tabs, plugin folders, fave plugin folders etc. You just have to know how to do it. They improved all that a while ago.

You are just seeing the initial setup before you go in and set it up the way you want and yes I agree it can be daunting. Plugins can be represented with a thumbnail GUI or a list. I tend to use the lists as the thumbnails can take up quite a lot of space.

Specs i5-2500K 3.5 Ghz - 8 Gb RAM - Win 7 64 bit - ATI Radeon HD6900 Series - RME PCI HDSP9632 - Steinberg Midex 8 Midi interface - Faderport 8- Studio One V4 - iMac 2.5Ghz Core i5 - Sierra 10.12.6 - Focusrite Clarett thunderbolt interface 

Poor minds talk about people, average minds talk about events, great minds talk about ideas -Eleanor Roosevelt
cparmerlee
Re: Some observations about StudioOne 3 2017/03/14 20:33:31 (permalink)
Jeff Evans
Once again you are demonstrating lack of knowledge. Plugins can be organised in very clever ways

I am aware of that. I am talking about first impressions. It seems to me that SO has done a better job of first impressions. SONAR seems to make the first impression more complicated than it needs to be. IMHO it is better for a product to appear straghtforward out of the box, and to have the advanced stuff out of the way most of the time. But others may think a "power user" first impression is better.

OS: Windows 10 64-bit CPU: Haswell 4790 4.0 GHz, 4 core, 8 thread  Memory: 16 GB      Video: GTX-760Ti
Storage: Sandisk SSD 500GB for active projects. ReadyNAS 20 TB for long-term storage

sonocrafters.com
Jeff Evans
Re: Some observations about StudioOne 3 2017/03/14 20:58:31 (permalink)
I think if anyone is really serious about a DAW purchase then first impressions are a poor indicator.  Most DAW's are so complex and deep you are not really going to get any real idea from first impressions. 

I see what you mean about that though. Like plugin organisation in Studio One.  Yes you are right.  First impressions are they are all listed in one place and that is it but of course once you find out it is anything but that. 

But that would apply to any DAW as well.  For example I never really got into Pro Tools much but as a lecturer I had to do a course as a Pro Tools trainer so yes I am a certified Avid trainer!  We were locked away in a lab for like days at a time in front of a screen with the latest PT version on it listening to a very skilled Avid trainer.  At the end of that I was blown away with what it could do and almost thought about switching.  It was the whole Avid thing though that turned me off.

So no to first impressions.  They only can give you a surface look and feel as what it can do but won't reveal the depth and power underneath.  DAW's are just too complex for that.  They need time to research, read, watch some tutorials, go into a shop and use it if you can.  Hook up with someone that has also got the program you are interested in and watch them use it etc.  See if it connects to you.  It certainly has taken me a while to find the right program that fits me really well. 

It is a bit like finding a girlfriend.  First impressions, maybe but that is only a very small factor.  Only after going out with her for a few months you may only start to get an idea.  Then even after going out with her for a year you may decide it is not going to work out and you meet someone else.  Or you try a different DAW and then you may find that things just click. 
post edited by Jeff Evans - 2017/03/14 22:19:19

mettelus
Max Output Level: -22 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5321
Re: Some observations about StudioOne 3 2017/03/14 22:54:23 (permalink)
I am glad Jeff confirmed the no crashing aspect. I have less than 100 hours with SOP and not even come close to threatening it, but my take means little without more evaluation. Jeff confirmed I have a lot more head room.

This topic is definitely an apples to oranges comparison in many regards, but dramatic features I know I will use a lot (arranger and scratch pads in particular) are "there today," as it were. In many respects the learning curve is the same as going from SONAR pre-X to SONAR X1 and beyond. Do, learn, adapt, and keep moving.

Having used Cakewalk solely for two decades the reality came up of the intense liability of such. Feature requests have become a joke, and the reality of folks literally being dead and gone before realized brings life back into sharp focus (where it should always be).

Life always throws interesting curves, and in December SOP and Lifetime Updates hit the same cost point. Faced with features in hand versus features in a bush, reality became apparent. Because of what I do, I will never reward (pay) someone to fix their problems (bugs) pressed onto me, pay them to test their product for them, nor pay them for "hope" (often the false pretense that something cool is coming). Even a one-time payment for such is out of bounds.

ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero (Wi-Fi AC), i7-8700k, 16GB RAM, GTX-1070Ti, Win 10 Pro, Saffire PRO 24 DSP, A-300 PRO, plus numerous gadgets and gizmos that make or manipulate sound in some way.
The Grim
Max Output Level: -76 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 724
Re: Some observations about StudioOne 3 2017/03/14 23:09:57 (permalink)
i switched over to studio one 3 pro a little over 2 years ago, the honest truth is that in that time it has crashed once, and that was recently, and it was when i was trying out one of the updated cakewalk lp plug ins, it crash on insertion (and believe me, the irony of it's only crash in 2 + years being in conjunction with a cakewalk product was not lost on me )

just love it, and not just for the big things, but little things as well, like opening up a plugin from a track, you have all that tracks plugins in that same window in different tabs right there, there are so many things that are just so awesome that make it just feel better, flow better, sonar platinum in comparison, when i check out a new release, just seems old and slow, convoluted, clunky etc, etc, that's just how it feels to me.

my observations about studio one 3 would be that it kicks sonars a$$ 5 ways from sunday, but that's just my opinion as a user of cakewalk products since pro audio 9 and a platinum lifetime member 'n all, just my honest opinion without going into to all the details.
kitekrazy1
Max Output Level: -40 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3524
Re: Some observations about StudioOne 3 2017/03/14 23:42:45 (permalink)
I remember the S1-3 update before the previous one was not usable for those who still have Melodyne 2.  

Sonar Platinum, W7 Pro 32GB Ram, Intel i7 4790, AsRock Z97 Pro 4,  NVidia 750ti, AP2496

Sonar Platinum, W7 Pro, 16GB Ram, AMD FX 6300, Gigabyte GA 970 -UD3 P, nVidia 9800GT, Guitar Port, Terratec EWX 2496
jpetersen
Max Output Level: -61 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1499
Re: Some observations about StudioOne 3 2017/03/15 00:08:02 (permalink)
Jeff, does the manual cover all the features?

I really would like to use my S1 intelligently, but if I don't find what I am trying to do in the manual I tend to assume it cannot be done.
timidi
Max Output Level: -21 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5449
Re: Some observations about StudioOne 3 2017/03/15 00:10:45 (permalink)
I've been with Cake since the beginning (Dos).
I play around with S1 (and Mixbus) on my laptop on the couch and some in the studio trying to learn them and gravitate away from Cake. I like S1. It feels like a Ferrari compared to the VW bus that is Sonar.
That said, there is a lot missing in S1 for me.

ASUS P8P67, i7-2600K, CORSAIR 16GB, HIS 5450, 3 Samsung SSD 850, Win7 64, RME AIO.

https://timbowman.bandcamp.com/releases

Jeff Evans
Re: Some observations about StudioOne 3 2017/03/15 00:26:09 (permalink)
Melodyne is all sorted now..

No!..... the manual is OK but not great so if it is not in the manual you can assume it can be done!  The fine detail stuff is elsewhere.  You have to look everywhere else.  All the Groove 3 vids explain it well.  There are plenty of tutorials on it both on the website and on Youtube.  Studio One Expert is also another great source of info as is the forum in general (Tips and Tricks section)

I wish we had a full comprehensive manual like Sonar does. It does get improved along the way but it is more for basic operations etc...

VariousArtist
Max Output Level: -63 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1397
Re: Some observations about StudioOne 3 2017/03/15 03:40:02 (permalink)
BobF
IMO, an export option to have the time honor a pair of markers would make things really simple.

+1 googleplex!

Once you set the boundary markers for export, you would never have to worry again (unless you wanted to change the boundary).

I've been wanting this for a long time :-)
VariousArtist
Re: Some observations about StudioOne 3 2017/03/15 03:40:03 (permalink)
BobF
IMO, an export option to have the time honor a pair of markers would make things really simple.

+1 googleplex!

Once you set the boundary markers for export, you would never have to worry again (unless you wanted to change the boundary).

I've been wanting this for a long time :-)
VariousArtist
Re: Some observations about StudioOne 3 2017/03/15 03:44:48 (permalink)
Anderton
Sanderxpander
Craig, the thing is that you would normally set the beginning and ending markers once and forget about it, as soon as you have your song structure down anyway. Any project of mine might have anywhere between 5 to 15 exports between the initial sketch and the final mix going off to mastering. That's a lot of dragging on the timeline.

As I mentioned, in SONAR you can designate one marker as an end marker, and one click in the timeline selects the region to export, from the start to that marker. That's not a lot of dragging on the timeline. In fact it involves no dragging on the timeline.

I feel it's silly to get hung up on this kind of thing. SONAR has more powerful export options that are more complex. SOP has less powerful export options that less complex. It shouldn't be a revelation to anyone that different software designers make different tradeoffs in the programs they write.

True, and this is what I do. It's not a great big deal but it involves a repetition of steps that are identical but can be mistakenly executed, with no warning until you've completed the bounce.

With fixed "boundary markers", one need only set them up once and then every export will be identical with less steps. Isn't that what computers are good for?
timidi
Re: Some observations about StudioOne 3 2017/03/15 04:02:05 (permalink)
I prefer Sonar's export options to S1. Granted I haven't dug deep into S1 yet.
Also, if you set up shortcuts for 'from' 'thru' (mine are F9, F10), you can mark the timeline with them. Or, like Craig said, the markers. Unfortunately, I think, that clicking on a marker in marker view sets the now time there. So, you can't really click 2 markers and have from-thru.  
I very rarely if ever drag on the timeline to set boundaries.

ASUS P8P67, i7-2600K, CORSAIR 16GB, HIS 5450, 3 Samsung SSD 850, Win7 64, RME AIO.

BobF
Re: Some observations about StudioOne 3 2017/03/15 12:27:33 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby tlw 2017/03/15 23:34:32
Another big difference I've noticed is the lack of an "Observations about SONAR Platinum" thread at the SO forum.

Bob  --
--

pwalpwal
Max Output Level: -43 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3249
Re: Some observations about StudioOne 3 2017/03/15 13:24:48 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby tlw 2017/03/15 23:34:31
this thread should be in the software forum

just a sec

BobF
Re: Some observations about StudioOne 3 2017/03/15 14:02:26 (permalink)
pwalpwal

You owe me a 43" display, qwerty keyboard and an FA06

Bob  --
--

pwalpwal
Re: Some observations about StudioOne 3 2017/03/15 14:17:46 (permalink)
BobF
pwalpwal

You owe me a 43" display, qwerty keyboard and an FA06

i  must've missed that memo!

just a sec

cparmerlee
Re: Some observations about StudioOne 3 2017/03/15 15:11:21 (permalink)
pwalpwal

Feel free to move it. You have my permission.

sonocrafters.com
pwalpwal
Re: Some observations about StudioOne 3 2017/03/15 15:12:11 (permalink)
cparmerlee
pwalpwal

Feel free to move it. You have my permission.

if only!

just a sec

...wicked
Max Output Level: -1.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 7360
Re: Some observations about StudioOne 3 2017/03/15 16:28:14 (permalink)
SOP gets a positive side glance from me just for being able to rotate the PRV 90 degrees. 

===========
The Fog People
===========

Intel i7-4790 
16GB RAM
ASUS Z97 
Roland OctaCapture
Win10/64   

SONAR Platinum 64-bit    
billions VSTs, some of which work    
timidi
Re: Some observations about StudioOne 3 2017/03/15 16:40:32 (permalink)
Some seem to like the Project view in S1 for mastering. To me, it needs some work. Only one assignable output leaves it useless jumping thru lots of hoops in order to use reference tracks. That, and most of the Metadata stuff doesn't seem to work. 

One plus for S1 is the way they set up the solo. Click anywhere on any track when solo is engaged and that track is soloed. Love how fluent this is.

random thoughts.

bapu
  • Total Posts : 86000
Re: Some observations about StudioOne 3 2017/03/15 17:00:05 (permalink)
pwalpwal
the studio one gui fits on my laptop screen (1600x900)

So will a DOS/CMD window.
jpetersen
Re: Some observations about StudioOne 3 2017/03/15 18:33:51 (permalink)
Jeff Evans
No!..... the manual is OK but not great so if it is not in the manual you can assume it can be done!  The fine detail stuff is elsewhere.  You have to look everywhere else.  All the Groove 3 vids explain it well.  There are plenty of tutorials on it both on the website and on Youtube.  Studio One Expert is also another great source of info as is the forum in general (Tips and Tricks section)

Thanks, much appreciated.

I ask because, for example, I use clips with multiple guitar note attacks for a more human feel.
I reduce a clip so only one attack is "visible" and copy that x times.
Then I scroll the audio inside each clip left or right to expose the attack I want.

In S1 I found no way to move the audio and so I stretched the end, shrunk the beginning and
repositioned, over and over.

Problem is I tend to look for things under similar names I know from Sonar and find nothing.
Then someone tells me how to do the same thing in S1 but under a different name or different method.
There's no solution to this other than cumulative learning.
rcklln
Max Output Level: -82 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 421
Re: Some observations about StudioOne 3 2017/03/15 18:41:34 (permalink)
It would be great if Sonar added some features similar to the arranger track and scratch pads.

The remote app is pretty useful also.
jpetersen
Re: Some observations about StudioOne 3 2017/03/15 19:36:40 (permalink)
At the moment you can run the mouse along the timeline to mark a section of a song.
Grab that highlighted section and drag it out to an empty area of the song.
But I believe there are many issues with this technique.
Much discussion has taken place on this topic.

Ripple editing should be coming soon.

S1 declares itself a single-window application, so a scratchpad becomes a need.
The scratchpad functionality is roughly covered if you open a second project inside Sonar.
chuckebaby
  • Total Posts : 13146
Re: Some observations about StudioOne 3 2017/03/15 20:24:27 (permalink)
pwalpwal

looks like the genie in a bottle granted your wish pwal .

Windows 8.1 X64 Sonar Platinum x64
Custom built: Asrock z97 1150 - Intel I7 4790k - 16GB corsair DDR3 1600 - PNY SSD 220GB
Focusrite Saffire 18I8 - Mackie Control

Page: < 12345 > Showing page 4 of 5
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1