Helpful ReplySome observations about StudioOne 3

Page: 12345 > Showing page 1 of 5
Author
cparmerlee
Max Output Level: -67 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1153
2017/03/01 23:33:48 (permalink)

Some observations about StudioOne 3

I have a friend who is trying to self-produce an album. He has self-published other albums with some financial success (made more money than he spent, which is what I call a success.) This time, he tried to manage all the production himself to minimize costs.  He started on Cubase and switched over to StudioOne. The technology has been a challenge that I am helping him with.  He became proficient on StudioOne, so I installed StudioOne Artist so I could guide him.

This isn't intended to be an exhaustive review, but I did want to note a few things.  Overall, StudioOne makes pretty good sense. It follows a paradigm where you work on songs as part of an album rather than each song being a separate project file. They also make a clear distinction between mixing mode and mastering mode.  That framework is OK, but I don't really feel it is an advantage compared to SONAR.

Right off the bat I got a real shocker when I tried to access some of my VSTs. StudioOne Artist won't do that. You can only
use the VSTs that Presonus provides for Artist. It is not a bad collection, but really ...  To access other VST's you have to buy an $80 upgrade or else upgrade to the pro version for $300.  That all seems really counter to the culture of plug-ins in the DAW world.

Most of the basic options are comparable to SONAR. There seems to be no way to archive tracks. That is a really important feature IMHO.  In this case, I was trying to clean up projects that had lots of extra tracks that were essentially multiple takes. They were muted, but without being able to archive, it is hard to keep them muted. Basically you can never use the global mute and solo buttons.

StudioOne makes makes a distinction between two different kinds of buses, which I really don't understand.  I created 2 reverb buses. That worked fine, but the solo buttons on these buses acted strangely -- not as I expected.

StidioOne is well behaved when adding the same effect to multiple tracks. If you select multiple tracks and drag an effect to one track, it goes on all the selected tracks. Maybe there is an equivalent way to do this with SONAR, but StudioOne seems particularly convenient in that case.

The effects included in Artist are mostly OK.  I particularly like the chorusing effect.  I haven't found any of the chorusing effects in SONAR to my liking. The PreSonus one provides a doubling mode that is exactly what I want to do from time to time, especially on vocals. It sounds realistic. I wish SPLAT had that.

SONAR is a lot more obvious to me regarding clip fades and cross-fades.

There are numerous user interface subtleties that really do warm up the user. Two examples: during mixdown, it says how much faster the rendering is than real time. It is no big deal, but it makes me feel good to see "Mixdown 18 times faster than real time." It makes me feel productive. Another example, during mixdown, if the output clips, it refuses to complete the mixdown, and that's a very good idea, IMHO.

I have only scratched the surface. My overall assessment is that SONAR is probably more comprehensive, but StudioOne is more comprehensible, which is important to people who can't invest too much time in the learning curve. The resulting sound is good with StudioOne, but I do think I get a slightly more polished sound with SONAR.

Just some observations, not looking to start any wars here. I think we can learn from others.

DAW: SONAR Platinum Audio I/F: Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 gen2
OS: Windows 10 64-bit CPU: Haswell 4790 4.0 GHz, 4 core, 8 thread  Memory: 16 GB      Video: GTX-760Ti
Storage: Sandisk SSD 500GB for active projects. ReadyNAS 20 TB for long-term storage

sonocrafters.com
fitzj
Max Output Level: -61 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1487
Re: Some observations about StudioOne 3 2017/03/01 23:46:00 (permalink)
I have both and I find them both wonderful. 
Cactus Music
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 8424
Re: Some observations about StudioOne 3 2017/03/01 23:52:49 (permalink)
It is one thing that is cool about Sonar Home Studio. It comes with practically nothing in the way of quality plug ins and VST's but it certainly doesn't stop you from rolling your own from just about any source. SO this makes it a real value for anyone just wanting basic features but needing an open door to upgrading the add ons. 

I downloaded the free version of Studio one a year ago just to kick the tires. Overall it was a nice DAW and I found no fault in the overall layout. But a demo is a demo and I haven't really played with it since. 

Johnny V  
Cakelab  
Focusrite 6i61st - Tascam us1641. 
3 Desktops and 3 Laptops W7 and W10
 http://www.cactusmusic.ca/

BobF
  • Total Posts : 8124
Re: Some observations about StudioOne 3 2017/03/02 00:11:43 (permalink)
On a whim I installed the S1/3 Pro demo a few weeks ago.  Once I finally got everything downloaded (I have a slow-ass internet connection), I was immediately impressed.  I was so impressed that I purchased a crossgrade license as soon as a sale went on.

I have now spent a bit of time with it and honestly, there are things I like and things I don't like.  Just like every other DAW I've tried.

I'm currently working on a flow that starts with S1 ( arrange/scratchpad ) and later migrates to SONAR for tracking/mixing.  I expect to end up back in S1 for mastering.  I'm hoping that the pending Ripple Edit in SONAR will make the arrange/scratchpad features of S1 less appealing.

The simplest explanation I can come up with is that S1 is quicker to get started, but SONAR has the advantage when it comes to details.  Keep in mind that I have thousands of hours with SONAR and a few hours with S1.

But ... the jury is still out.  Ripple edit and a few other tweaks could easily make S1 an afterthought.  Well, there is the integration with Notion 6 that I haven't even started to explore yet.

Bob  --
Angels are crying because truth has died ...
Illegitimi non carborundum
--
Studio One Pro / i7-6700@3.80GHZ, 32GB Win 10 Pro x64
Roland FA06, LX61+, Fishman Tripleplay, FaderPort, US-16x08 + ARC2.5/Event PS8s 
Waves Gold/IKM Max/Nomad Factory IS3/K11U

elsongs
Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 306
Re: Some observations about StudioOne 3 2017/03/02 01:56:31 (permalink)
I have both the latest versions of Sonar Platinum and Studio One v3. I've been a Cakewalk user since Professional 3.01 back in '95 and adopted Studio One (after winning a copy from a PreSonus NAMM show giveaway :)) as the DAW for my MacBook Pro since 2013. I mostly use Sonar as my default recording/mixing DAW and use Studio One for mobile recording applications of my laptop. 

I like how things move and flow on Studio One when it comes to recording, arranging and composing track view; I can intuitively move and copy/paste track data (whether MIDI or audio) around, even if the data doesn't begin on the first beat of the measure. For Sonar, you need to have some settings in place in order to do that. However, I also use hardware gear and Sonar is way superior in terms of sequencing and assigning tracks to hardware synths (Instrument Definitions, anyone?), whereas Studio One's implementation is rather half-assed.

In Console view, Sonar flows way better. The ProChannel has most things you need, and the buses already exist for assignment. I HATE mixing in the Studio One environment because I have to basically build my channels and buses up from scratch (yes, I could use templates, but even in Sonar I can work much quicker from nothing). Maybe it's because I don't 100% understand how to route and assign effects in Studio One, but whenever I work in Studio One, I want to use as few effects/bus routings as possible, whereas in Sonar, I want to use as much as possible. 

Elson Trinidad Los Angeles, CA, USA
Web: www.elsongs.com
Twitter: twitter.com/elsongs

DAWs: Cakewalk by Bandlab, Cakewalk Sonar Platinum x64, Propellerhead Reason 9, Presonus Studio One v3
CPU: Intel i7 3820 3.6MHz 
MB: ASRock X79 Xtreme4
RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR3
Audio: Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 2nd Generation
MIDI: MOTU Microlite & Novation Impulse 61
bielphc
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 8
Re: Some observations about StudioOne 3 2017/03/02 02:14:10 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby cparmerlee 2017/03/02 03:13:00
Let's go!

I use both. I love Sonar because it has more features to score to picture.

Let me compare both for you:

Sonar:

Advanced audio editing (25 years and counting)
64bit 384khz Audio Engine
Surround support
Built-in notation editor (buggy but functional)
Better midi tools and editing
More than 100 plugins and effects (best arsenal seen on a daw)
Pattern Tool

cons: Latency on lower PCs (it's weird i know), notation buggy, miss a chorder tool, miss an arrangement view)

Studio One:

Scratch Pads (This is very very good for arranging)
64bit 384khz Audio Sinthesis Engine
Ultra easy to use
Most beautiful interface i've ever seen in a daw.
Runs great on lower PCs. 
Original Cubase team (PreSonus contracted them)
Mix Engine FX (create your own sounds by multi layering instruments)
Complete Analog emulation (This took 15 years to make Analog Systems work sweet as butter and totally functional on a Digital Audio Workstation)
Sampler Presence XT with a Javascript Engine ready to create sounds by coding (you need to buy the editor, it costs 99 dollars.
Project Page for mastering (THIS IS ONE OF THE BEST THINGS)

Cons: No surround official support, chorder tool is very very very basic, Presence XT sometimes with filters gives cpu spikes, less plugins than Sonar. Sonar has better audio and midi editing tools.

This is my feedback!
Anderton
  • Total Posts : 14070
Re: Some observations about StudioOne 3 2017/03/02 02:24:44 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby cparmerlee 2017/03/02 03:26:24
cparmerleeI particularly like the chorusing effect.  I haven't found any of the chorusing effects in SONAR to my liking.

Check out this week's Friday's Tip of the Week regarding chorusing for guitar.

The first 3 books in "The Musician's Guide to Home Recording" series are available from Hal Leonard and http://www.reverb.com. Listen to my music on http://www.YouTube.com/thecraiganderton, and visit http://www.craiganderton.com. Thanks!
cparmerlee
Re: Some observations about StudioOne 3 2017/03/02 03:31:19 (permalink)
Anderton
cparmerleeI particularly like the chorusing effect.  I haven't found any of the chorusing effects in SONAR to my liking.

Check out this week's Friday's Tip of the Week regarding chorusing for guitar.

Thanks.  I had never noticed the VX-64. It is nice.  It sounds more like what I'm looking for than the various "chorusing" plugs in SPlat.  I like it, and very well may use it.

I still like the PreSonus a little better because it gives control over the LFO, so you can easily simulate the doubling going in an out of phase.  And to make that even better, it would be nice to have some randomness in the LFO.

I suppose a person could use an automation envelope to vary the amount of doubling effect with VX-64 to create a similar effect.  I didn't try that.  I am an old school guy where we used to manually double track every horn part to get that sound.

Anyway, thanks for the pointer.

OS: Windows 10 64-bit CPU: Haswell 4790 4.0 GHz, 4 core, 8 thread  Memory: 16 GB      Video: GTX-760Ti
Storage: Sandisk SSD 500GB for active projects. ReadyNAS 20 TB for long-term storage

sonocrafters.com
Anderton
Re: Some observations about StudioOne 3 2017/03/02 03:34:06 (permalink)
Also try the Sonitus modulation effect. It's flexible enough that you can get pretty much any chorusing effect you want. People sometimes dismiss the Sonitus effects because they're old. So what? They got it right 

The first 3 books in "The Musician's Guide to Home Recording" series are available from Hal Leonard and http://www.reverb.com. Listen to my music on http://www.YouTube.com/thecraiganderton, and visit http://www.craiganderton.com. Thanks!
Anderton
Re: Some observations about StudioOne 3 2017/03/02 04:04:04 (permalink)
Y'now, I'm sure there were no bad intentions in terms of starting this thread, but ultimately isn't it kind of pointless? I think the only conclusion that could be possibly be drawn is "Different DAWs are different, and often do things differently."

tenfoot
Max Output Level: -53.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2186
Re: Some observations about StudioOne 3 2017/03/02 04:18:42 (permalink)
BobF
On a whim I installed the S1/3 Pro demo a few weeks ago.  Once I finally got everything downloaded (I have a slow-ass internet connection), I was immediately impressed.  I was so impressed that I purchased a crossgrade license as soon as a sale went on.

I have now spent a bit of time with it and honestly, there are things I like and things I don't like.  Just like every other DAW I've tried.

I'm currently working on a flow that starts with S1 ( arrange/scratchpad ) and later migrates to SONAR for tracking/mixing.  I expect to end up back in S1 for mastering.  I'm hoping that the pending Ripple Edit in SONAR will make the arrange/scratchpad features of S1 less appealing.

The simplest explanation I can come up with is that S1 is quicker to get started, but SONAR has the advantage when it comes to details.  Keep in mind that I have thousands of hours with SONAR and a few hours with S1.

But ... the jury is still out.  Ripple edit and a few other tweaks could easily make S1 an afterthought.  Well, there is the integration with Notion 6 that I haven't even started to explore yet.

Hi Bob.
This is intriguing. Can I ask how you transfer your projects between Splat and S1? I would love to give this a try.

Bruce.

Sonar Platinum 2017-09, Studio One 3.5.3, Win 10 x64, Quad core i7, RME Fireface, Behringer X32 Producer, Behringer X32 Rack, Presonus Faderport, Lemure Software Controller (Android), Enttec DMXIS VST lighting controller, Xtempo POK.
cparmerlee
Re: Some observations about StudioOne 3 2017/03/02 04:25:42 (permalink)
Anderton
I think the only conclusion that could be possibly be drawn is "Different DAWs are different, and often do things differently."

Another conclusion is that when other companies find a good solution, it is a good idea to take notice of that. I don't think anybody here is bashing either company and I appreciate the range of views and observations.

I'll add another usability difference because SONAR bit me in the butt for the the 100th time tonight (yeah, I'm not a very quick learner.)  When you want to export a mixdown in SONAR, you have to be very careful to select every track, and also set the ruler. If you let the ruler set to the clip lengths, then you chop off any reverb at the end. And if you are not careful when setting the ruler, you will deselect tracks, causing that material to be left out of the mixdown. I can't tell you how frustrating I find this process because when I want to do a mixdown, it should be obvious that I want every non-muted track and I want ALL the material including the tails.  SONAR is really tedious about this.

I didn't pay attention to StudioOne to see how it worked differently.  And that's the point. I didn't have to pay attention. It just worked.

sonocrafters.com
AT
  • Total Posts : 10654
Re: Some observations about StudioOne 3 2017/03/02 05:30:47 (permalink)
You can add time to the end of a song bounce for reverb and set the length.

https://soundcloud.com/a-pleasure-dome
http://www.bnoir-film.com/  

there came forth little children out of the city, and mocked him, and said unto him, Go up, thou bald head; go up, thou bald head.
24 And he turned back, and looked on them, and cursed them in the name of the Lord. And there came forth two she bears out of the wood, and tare forty and two children of them.
cparmerlee
Re: Some observations about StudioOne 3 2017/03/02 05:47:59 (permalink)
AT

I'm sure there are many work-arounds.  The point is that it shouldn't be necessary. I realize that many of the people here have decades of experience with SONAR and its various quirks. If a company wants to appeal to a larger market share, it is a good idea to work on making the experience as non-tedious as possible.  Cakewalk has made some efforts in that regard, but ultimately I think that is the ultimate difference between the two products compared here. StudioOne is less capable and less tedious.  It need not be a trade-off.

And I rarely bounce anything.  It seems to me bouncing is a tradition here, but it just isn't something I find much need to do. Why bounce when what you want to do is export the mixdown?  Isn't that what Export is for?

sonocrafters.com
ChuckC
  • Total Posts : 1488
Re: Some observations about StudioOne 3 2017/03/02 06:12:19 (permalink)
I have sonar platinum and have been with cakewalk since buying producer version 8.5 back in 2009 I think... I also have studio one - 2 professional. I have yet to track a single song in it. Though I keep saying I am going to try it. I use it primarily for mastering. Simply because it can export with more meta data baked into an mp3 including a bands' logo... AND THEY LOVE THAT! So when a band puts their new mp3 on reverbnation, or itunes, even just their phone it is already there and it looks more professional. I also love the song/project (album) workflow of s1. It is brilliant that if you update the mix on the song, that automatically updates the associated mixdown file in the mastering project screen. So smart and soo useful! Though I have never taken advantage of it because I love to track and mix in sonar...
If cake implemented better mp3 export options and a linked project file that worked like s1 for mastering songs on an album together I S1 would never see another dime of my money. I Agree with a couple others here about sonars mixdown options being a little insane and counter intuitive. If you have a clip highlighted (because it's the last thing you clicked on and edited in Track view) it sucks! Have you guys ever done this? You make the mistake above then you click export audio... export a wav., burn a cd, wait for it to finish, shut your system down, turn off the monitors and your gear, satisfied you have a solid mix, go out to the car to do some errands, pop that cd in and listen to a 4 minute long mixdown of JUST YOUR SNARE TRACK!!? aaaaaaaaahhhhh. WTF??!! I hate that part of sonar with all that I am, because it has burned me so many times. Send a client home with an mp3 of just a ride cymbal track and they go to show their wife their new song as soon as they get in their front door... you get the dude WTF is this sh@t!?#*!! Phone call every time!

ADK Built DAW, W7, Sonar Platinum, Studio One Pro,Yamaha HS8's & HS8S  Presonus Studio/Live 24.4.2, A few decent mic pre's,  lots of mics, 57's,58 betas, Sm7b, LD Condensors, Small condensors, Senn 421's,  DI's,  Sans Amp, A few guitar amps etc. Guitars : Gib. LP, Epi. Lp, Dillion Tele, Ibanez beater, Ibanez Ergodyne 4 String bass, Mapex Mars series 6 pc. studio kit, cymbals and other sh*t.
http://www.everythingiam.net/
http://www.stormroomstudios.com
Some of my productions: http://soundcloud.com/stormroomstudios
ZincTrumpet
Max Output Level: -73 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 891
Re: Some observations about StudioOne 3 2017/03/02 11:32:00 (permalink)
I have just picked up Studio One 3 Professional (Windows) at a great price and have only had it installed for about a week. I am a long time Sonar user (now on Sonar Platinum with LT updates) so it would be unfair of me to compare both at this stage. It is interesting to hear some of your viewpoints and findings though. I liked the look of the Arranger and Scratchpad which are the main things that attracted me.

So far I have found it pretty intuitive apart from one strange installation anomaly for the extra content...you register your code on their website and it then tells you to download the content (30 files, around 33Gb). After manually doing this (I use FreeDownloadManager) and installing the program you then tell it where you downloaded the content to and where you want it installing. It then goes ahead and DOES NOTHING! It uses the content just fine but in the location you manually downloaded it to and doesn't move it anywhere. Of course after doing it this way I discovered that if you download the content from within the program instead it will behave as expected. For most of the content this doesn't matter too much - just move the .soundset files where you want them and point S1 at that location. However, for the demo files these don't show up in the main opening screen unless you download them through the program. So I re-downloaded the demo files (265Mb or so) from within the program so that they show up on the opening screen (some of the demo songs are pretty complex and well worth studying). 

Groove3 has quite a few videos on S1 and I am working my way through their "Create Your First Song" in Studio One --> https://www.groove3.com/presonus-training-video-tutorials/First-Song-with-Studio-One-3 actually re-creating the song that Eli Krantzberg makes in the video. I find this an excellent way to get up to speed quickly with the main features.

It's been rock solid so far and I have had no crashes. I find it much snappier to load and use than Sonar on Windows 7 (Sonar takes ages to startup and scanning VSTs is painfully slow), but on Windows 10 both are similar.

In Sonar I have also suffered the "empty" mixdown syndrome reported by others but you do get used to it. 
The main thing that frustrates me with Sonar (since I started originally on X1) is how the "selection" of items works. Things seem to be selected that I don't remember selecting or at least not intentionally. You have to be very mindful and careful of where and when you click! I regularly found myself carrying out operations on parts of a song that I had no intention of altering. I now find myself, before I make any major change, doing a "Edit - Select none" (Num 5) to avoid any catastrophes.

ZT
EDIT: Also I tried the free S1 remote iPad app which works flawlessly but then again TouchDAW (paid) on my Android tablet also works fine with Sonar. 
EDIT 2: The other thing that's pulling me to S1 is the Notion 6 integration and upgrade price as I will be working more with notation this year.
post edited by ZincTrumpet - 2017/03/02 12:02:04
fireberd
Max Output Level: -38 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3704
Re: Some observations about StudioOne 3 2017/03/02 11:43:49 (permalink)
I have Studio One 3 that I got when I purchased a Presonus hardware item.  I don't use it but I recently did for a test.  I'm having problems with Sonar when mixing down mono tracks to a stereo tracks, there is a slight (0.75db - it was more but uninstalling Sonar and reinstalling it got it down to the 0.75db) difference in the two tracks.  For testing I exported the mono tracks from Sonar and imported them into Studio One 3.  I did a mixdown in Studio One 3 and the mixed down stereo tracks have identical levels.  Can't say anything else about Studio One 3 as I don't use it, but it does accurately mixdown, where my Sonar does not.

"GCSG Productions"
Franklin D-10 Pedal Steel Guitar (primary instrument). Nashville Telecaster, Bass, etc. 
ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero M/B, i7 6700K CPU, 16GB Ram, SSD and conventional hard drives, Win 10 Pro and Win 10 Pro Insider Pre-Release
Sonar Platinum/CbB. MOTU 896MK3 Hybrid, Tranzport, X-Touch, JBL LSR308 Monitors,  
Ozone 5,  Studio One 4.1
ISRC Registered
Member of Nashville based R.O.P.E. Assn.
pwalpwal
Max Output Level: -43 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3249
Re: Some observations about StudioOne 3 2017/03/02 11:46:44 (permalink)
the studio one gui fits on my laptop screen (1600x900)

just a sec

cparmerlee
Re: Some observations about StudioOne 3 2017/03/02 14:51:12 (permalink)
ChuckC
You make the mistake above then you click export audio... export a wav., burn a cd, wait for it to finish, shut your system down, turn off the monitors and your gear, satisfied you have a solid mix, go out to the car to do some errands, pop that cd in and listen to a 4 minute long mixdown of JUST YOUR SNARE TRACK!!? aaaaaaaaahhhhh. WTF??!!

Replace "CD" with "SoundCloud" and that is exactly what I did last night. And it went one step further. I even embedded that SoundCloud into a website before I discovered my file had only the narration and not the three sound clips that were the main point of that file. It was deceptive because the file begins with narration, so when I played the first bit of it, I assumed everything was there. At least I didn't email the client saying the job was done.

And the catch-22 of that selection thing has another aspect.  If you select the clips, that resets the ruler, which then clips off the reverb tail.  You can't just do a Ctrl-A to select all of the clips. But if you go set the ruler, you are prone to deselecting tracks if you don't do it just right. I suppose this all makes sense to some designer somewhere, but every time I go through this process, I feel like Cakewalk is trying to drive me insane.

With StudioOne, you simply say Export Mixdown and it is done.  In this case, you can set start and end markers for the song, which I did, and that assured the tails got included. Those markers never move on their own so unless you add length to your song, you set those once and never have to worry about the software biting you in the butt.

sonocrafters.com
cparmerlee
Re: Some observations about StudioOne 3 2017/03/02 14:57:50 (permalink)
I should add that I find SONAR's window management mostly easier to use than StudioOne's. I think it is more intuitive to get the windows set up and spaced the way you like with the contents (e.g. visible tracks) as you want to see them.  Unfortunately, much of that is lost when you shut down SONAR and you have to repeat the process on the next start-up. But it goes quickly.

On edit: I note the post above about Studio One fitting on a laptop screen. I use two 27" monitors, plus a third monitor to stash VST windows and other paraphernalia.  It does seem that the StudioOne screen is naturally more compact. For me that is not really an advantage, but I can see how that could make a difference on a laptop. I don't know that there is one "right" answer here. The only time I use a notebook is when I am tracking live performances and I would never, ever use a DAW for that.  I use Waves TracksLive which is purpose-built just for live tracking and eliminates all the stuff you don't need when tracking a live show. But that is just me. Others have different requirements.

sonocrafters.com
musicroom
Max Output Level: -51 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2421
Re: Some observations about StudioOne 3 2017/03/02 15:15:10 (permalink)
cparmerlee
AT

I'm sure there are many work-arounds.  The point is that it shouldn't be necessary. I realize that many of the people here have decades of experience with SONAR and its various quirks. If a company wants to appeal to a larger market share, it is a good idea to work on making the experience as non-tedious as possible.  Cakewalk has made some efforts in that regard, but ultimately I think that is the ultimate difference between the two products compared here. StudioOne is less capable and less tedious.  It need not be a trade-off.

And I rarely bounce anything.  It seems to me bouncing is a tradition here, but it just isn't something I find much need to do. Why bounce when what you want to do is export the mixdown?  Isn't that what Export is for?

I take a simple approach to rendering tracks - seems to work in both Sonar and Studio One. I do a Control A and render. I would note that in Studio One I had to make sure my markers did not force a "stop" or "end" that might cut the song short.

I have both full blown programs. There is much to enjoy with either - however I do most of my work in Sonar. It's more intuitive for me and I get more done. However I will loudly second the echos of loving Studio One's mastering (project) screen! Since using that, my Soundforge 10 has not seen any action.

Dave
Songs

cparmerlee
Re: Some observations about StudioOne 3 2017/03/02 15:37:19 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby ChuckC 2017/03/03 01:02:55
musicroom
I take a simple approach to rendering tracks - seems to work in both Sonar and Studio One. I do a Control A and render. I would note that in Studio One I had to make sure my markers did not force a "stop" or "end" that might cut the song short.

Ctrl-A resets the SONAR ruler, which causes tails to be clipped.  If you are dealing with audio files, I guess you can stretch one of the clips to be long enough to accommodate the tail. But that doesn't work if you are using MIDI.

Again, these are all work-arounds.  That is my point with this whole thread. Presonus has made an effort to make the program more intuitive so that work-arounds are not as necessary.  It seems to me a really well designed program would at least include the option to detect the tails and include them in the mixdown. After all, who would ever want the tails to be clipped?

Of if that is too much to ask, they could simply do what they have in the Bounce function -- an option to automatically add x.x seconds to the end of the selection.  That would be OK too.

I'm not saying StudioOne is perfect. I am simply saying that it would do Cakewlk a lot of good to look at some of the attention to "user friendliness" that Presonus has put into their product.

sonocrafters.com
Base 57
Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 249
Re: Some observations about StudioOne 3 2017/03/02 16:43:34 (permalink)

"Ctrl-A resets the SONAR ruler, which causes tails to be clipped.  If you are dealing with audio files, I guess you can stretch one of the clips to be long enough to accommodate the tail. But that doesn't work if you are using MIDI."

After you Ctrl-A, set "thru" to the point you want the render (or export) to end.

For quality control I always render before export. That way I can check and correct a mix. Once I am happy with the result I export the Clip. I can't imagine I would do it differently in any other DAW.

cparmerlee
Re: Some observations about StudioOne 3 2017/03/02 17:04:45 (permalink)
Base 57
For quality control I always render before export. That way I can check and correct a mix. Once I am happy with the result I export the Clip. I can't imagine I would do it differently in any other DAW.

That is my point.  This is all so unnecessary. When you say "for quality control" that implies if you don't do this double-checking, the results may be messed up.

If it sounds right on playback, then I should be able to export it immediately and the exported file should be EXACTLY what I heard in playback 100% of the time. I shouldn't have to double check the software.  Why would I want to bounce the mix down to another track (itself a tedious procedure requiring all the tracks to be checked), then export that track by itself, then go back and delete the track?  What a waste of time.

It sounds like you are telling me I shouldn't trust the Export command.  That sounds like a root issue to me.

sonocrafters.com
pwalpwal
Re: Some observations about StudioOne 3 2017/03/02 17:07:45 (permalink)
cparmerlee
On edit: I note the post above about Studio One fitting on a laptop screen. I use two 27" monitors, plus a third monitor to stash VST windows and other paraphernalia.  It does seem that the StudioOne screen is naturally more compact. For me that is not really an advantage, but I can see how that could make a difference on a laptop.

indeed it it does... and the scaling (zoom) is better too - check out how many tacks you can have visible in the track window at once!

just a sec

pwalpwal
Re: Some observations about StudioOne 3 2017/03/02 17:10:28 (permalink)
just to add, s1 has the massive advantage of being built from the ground up with the r&d of 25+ years of daws behind the design decisions made... it also feels much "snappier" or "responsive" to me /ymmv

just a sec

Base 57
Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 249
Re: Some observations about StudioOne 3 2017/03/02 17:40:13 (permalink)
No, It's not a waste of time for me. I do all final trimming, (lower case m) mastering FX and fades on that last clip. And I know that I am exporting exactly what I want, without having to take the time to restart the whole process because I once again clicked the wrong option in the export dialog.
Kylotan
Max Output Level: -71 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 995
Re: Some observations about StudioOne 3 2017/03/02 20:00:20 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby cparmerlee 2017/03/02 22:34:33
I was back using Sonar just yesterday to export some stems and tracks from an old album, and the first thing I noticed coming from S1 is being reminded of just how cumbersome the export is, if you don't have exactly the right audio selected already. It reminds me that the 2 products currently have different philosophies - S1 encourages composition with the arranger tracks and scratch pads, so it's natural that many of your exports won't be of the whole timeline. They provide Start and End markers to facilitate that. Sonar however is very much geared towards the recording musician, who starts tracking at bar 0 or thereabouts, and you'll probably just export the whole lot and trim the ends in mastering.

One more thing:
cparmerlee
There seems to be no way to archive tracks. That is a really important feature IMHO.

Right-click on track, choose Disable Track. Seems to be much the same thing.

Sonar Platinum (Newburyport) / Win 8.1 64bit / Focusrite Scarlett 6i6 / Absynth / Kontakt / Play / Superior Drummer 2 / ESP LTD guitar / etc

Twilight's Embrace - gothic/death metal | Other works - instrumental/soundtracks
Anderton
Re: Some observations about StudioOne 3 2017/03/03 00:03:37 (permalink)
I use Studio One 3 for album assembly, it's great for that...better than CD Architect IMHO. That said, I still have to do certain mastering operations in SONAR and shuttle files back and forth between the two programs, or use the Montage feature in Wavelab (which has its own issues).

SOP having DDP export is wonderful, especially since the latest maintenance release fixed the fatal DDP export error (hopefully it also fixes the CD writing problems that required me to switch projects over to Studio One 2 if I wanted to make test CDs for clients).

However, the reason I don't use SOP for multitrack projects is because SONAR has features that are essential for what I do, and Studio One doesn't have equivalent features. That doesn't make Studio One inferior. It makes SONAR a better match for the kind of work I need to do. I recognize that no program will ever do everything I want, so I use SONAR because it comes the closest by far.

On a different topic, this should have been posted in the Software forum because the thread has nothing to do with helping SONAR users make better music with the program. I don't think the intention of the OP was to be rude to his hosts, but this kind of thread can end up being a magnet for those who are, or who lack common courtesy.

(SONAR tip: If you don't select anything and Export with the default settings, everything will be exported without the need to Select All.)

ChuckC
  • Total Posts : 1488
Re: Some observations about StudioOne 3 2017/03/03 01:39:07 (permalink)
Here is a gripe that drives me nuts about studio one though!
  As I said above and I use it for final mastering/album assembly (like Anderton said), and it's export options... So often times if I record in 24 bit/48k in sonar I then export a 24/48k (no dither) stereo wav file of songs 1-whatever from each song project in sonar.  I often end up with them on my desktop for the moment for ease of access at the moment.
  I start Studio One up, start a new project/album project (whatever the hell they are called) and import these wav.'s, put them in order, adjust final fades, time between songs etc.  enter all the data, the logo, etc.  export a couple master CD's for the band/duplication, export the DDP in case they want that too, then export all the mp3's for them also.  I save the project.  close it.   The band is happy.  2 days later I inevitably delete these mixdown wav's from my desktop or move them into another folder (basic computer house keeping stuff).   Then the band calls and says we want to make this fade longer, or...  change the song order on the album.... ok fine. right?  Open Studio one and find that it doesn't actually store that audio with the project.   It stores WHERE you imported the files FROM instead (my desktop) and is now looking for missing files...   this was frustrating.

ADK Built DAW, W7, Sonar Platinum, Studio One Pro,Yamaha HS8's & HS8S  Presonus Studio/Live 24.4.2, A few decent mic pre's,  lots of mics, 57's,58 betas, Sm7b, LD Condensors, Small condensors, Senn 421's,  DI's,  Sans Amp, A few guitar amps etc. Guitars : Gib. LP, Epi. Lp, Dillion Tele, Ibanez beater, Ibanez Ergodyne 4 String bass, Mapex Mars series 6 pc. studio kit, cymbals and other sh*t.
http://www.everythingiam.net/
http://www.stormroomstudios.com
Some of my productions: http://soundcloud.com/stormroomstudios
Page: 12345 > Showing page 1 of 5
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1