The Enemy

Page: < 1234 > Showing page 2 of 4
Author
Janet
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 8094
Re:The Enemy 2011/03/21 19:04:47 (permalink)
I'll be back to answer all of you later (gotta get some more work done while there's still daylight.)  But this morning I realized that I'd been uploading the new mixes on SC, but not on RV.  :(  So sorry. The same version is now on both of them, but I imagine Albert's right...that I went too far with the volume reduction and eq'ing. I'll try to work on it tonight. But some good ears in the meantime would be much appreciated.  Thanks you guys! 
Beagle
  • Total Posts : 50621
Re:The Enemy 2011/03/21 20:55:54 (permalink)
Janet

I'll be back to answer all of you later (gotta get some more work done while there's still daylight.)  But this morning I realized that I'd been uploading the new mixes on SC, but not on RV.  :(  So sorry. The same version is now on both of them, but I imagine Albert's right...that I went too far with the volume reduction and eq'ing. I'll try to work on it tonight. But some good ears in the meantime would be much appreciated.  Thanks you guys! 

well, actually I'm not seeing it on RN at all now.  looks like you deleted it.

http://soundcloud.com/beaglesound/sets/featured-songs-1
i7, 16G DDR3, Win10x64, MOTU Ultralite Hybrid MK3
Yamaha MOXF6, Hammond XK3c, other stuff.
marcos69
Max Output Level: -26 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4950
Re:The Enemy 2011/03/21 20:57:40 (permalink)
Beagle

Janet

well, actually I'm not seeing it on RN at all now.  looks like you deleted it.

And I was so proud of her.

Mark Wessels

At CD Baby

At Soundclick
Janet
Re:The Enemy 2011/03/21 21:00:49 (permalink)
Thanks James.  Yeah, it's different all right.  I should watch dramatic movies more often.  lol

Thanks Bub.  Yeah, I'll listen to that soon.  I'm afraid you might have been listening to the mix on RN, which never got updated last night. :(  But they still may need some help.

Thanks Rik.  I'm really glad you like it. :)

Thank you, Albert.  :) Yeah, I think you alone listened to the updated version and those cymbals may have lost too much sparkle.  I'll see what others have to say.  Thanks for the kudos though.  This was quite fun to do, although a lot of work.  The process is certainly getting easier, though, thankfully.  I guess it should after 3 1/2 years.  :)  And yeah, Russian was not exactly my goal, although I can hear it (maybe a measure or two that reminds me of Dr. Schivago or something.)  But it was meant to be dark and foreboding.  I'm not quite sure I hit that either, but maybe a few measures did. Thanks again!

Thanks Herb!

Thanks Shawn.  Yeah, I figured a lot of you would prefer this to chick flick sound tracks.  :)

Thanks Charlie. So glad you liked it. :)

Thanks a lot for stopping by Jim.  (JY)  Stereo separation....maybe I went too far with channel tools, widening each section?  Not sure.  If you could elaborate on how to fix it, I might be able to try it.  Thanks again so much.

Beag...it's at the bottom. I'll move it up right now. Sorry!

Thanks, Mark.  :-) 
Janet
Re:The Enemy 2011/03/21 21:02:11 (permalink)
Mark, I obviously have too much to think about.

Or am just too blonde.  :(
Beagle
Re:The Enemy 2011/03/21 21:04:29 (permalink)
ok, found it.

chuckebaby
  • Total Posts : 13146
Re:The Enemy 2011/03/21 21:17:50 (permalink)
james you are always so critical...but you know,thats thing i like about you.

Windows 8.1 X64 Sonar Platinum x64
Custom built: Asrock z97 1150 - Intel I7 4790k - 16GB corsair DDR3 1600 - PNY SSD 220GB
Focusrite Saffire 18I8 - Mackie Control

Beagle
Re:The Enemy 2011/03/21 21:18:44 (permalink)
oh yeah!  that is so much better.  you might want to back off of the LP EQ now, tho, it's stiffling the sizzle.  let 'em sizzle.

Janet
Re:The Enemy 2011/03/21 21:19:06 (permalink)
Not critical...thorough and possessing great ears and skills.  :)  Most of us couldn't make it without people like him.  OK, well, I couldn't anyway.
Janet
Re:The Enemy 2011/03/21 21:20:11 (permalink)
I'm so sorry it was messing with your mind last night Reece!  :)  I'll add back some sizzle.  Thanks.  That's a pretty cool reverb, eh? 
Kroneborge
Max Output Level: -65 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1300
Re:The Enemy 2011/03/21 21:44:45 (permalink)
Ok cymbals sound much better.  I particularly like the one around 1:38, you let it ride for a bit longer, feels more natural.

Anyway, top notch all around.

Mathew

Hip Hop
http://www.soundclick.com...ault.cfm?bandID=213418

BreakBeats
http://www.soundclick.com...ault.cfm?bandID=219099

i7 12 gb ram, Komplete 5, Izotope Ozone & Stutter, Symphonic Orchestra Plat.

Alegria
Max Output Level: -54.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2075
Re:The Enemy 2011/03/21 21:46:38 (permalink)
First impression... (speakers - low and high volume)

Is that you Janet? I mean you mixed this masterpiece? Am I going to find out in a day or two that a mixing guru took care of it for you? Taking into consideration previous posts and your adjustments, present and future, I have nothing to suggest. NADA. I want a refund. Sounds pretty awesome to me ears. Both of them. Take a bow, you deserve it. Bravo!

Small nit --> The piano is way too low and feels like it's in another room... with the door closed. 
Janet
Re:The Enemy 2011/03/21 23:16:06 (permalink)
Thanks Mathew.  I lengthened all of them.  Now they seem too low in the mix to me.  This is tricky!  Plenty loud in Sonar, but something gets lost in translation.  Thanks for stopping by again! 

Hey, glad to see you around here again, JC.  :)  Thanks for stopping by.  Yes, it's all me.  Well, if you don't count the dozens of really cool and extremely talented people that helped me along the way.  But we must count them.  Oh, and don't forget EW.  And whoever it was that strongly encouraged me to buy it and told me when it was on sale.    Sorry about the piano.  It will be invited back soon.  I just got carried away on a couple of these cool pieces that would sound really wimpy with a piano. 
rockinrobby
  • Total Posts : 1265
Re:The Enemy 2011/03/21 23:26:01 (permalink)
"And whoever it was that strongly encouraged me to buy it and told me when it was on sale"

Ahhhh THAT WOULD BE ME AGAIN!

Why do I get no respect?

http://www.reverbnation.com/rockinrobby

Evil lurks here among us again... "Beware."
Janet
Re:The Enemy 2011/03/21 23:28:52 (permalink)
Well, yes, you mentioned it, but I'm afraid it was JC that gave me the final push and told me when it was on sale.  At least I think so.  I can hardly remember what I did this morning right now.
gamblerschoice
Max Output Level: -43 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3226
Re:The Enemy 2011/03/22 00:49:05 (permalink)
"I can hardly remember what I did this morning"

Welcome to my world. Unfortunately, there is not much to remember anymore. It is hard to believe I can spend so much time sleeping, get up and do almost nothing, and fall back to sleep. My understanding is that this will pass, I can only hope.

One of the things I have noticed about your "productions" over the last year is the increase in the mixing quality. I know you still feel this need to come here asking for advice and comments, but I really think that time is long gone.

It is now time for you to post a song, and then sit back and say that it is done. If there seems to be a touch too much cymbol, or an unusual reverb, or maybe the piano is mixed in slightly different than usual...then take credit for it. Just say, "I did that on purpose". "Yeah, it sounds that way cause I just spent four hours a day, five days straight on the mix alone, and listened to this song so many times I know every nuance by heart, and it is exactly the way I want it."

"Thanks for your suggestions, your observations are noted, but I now have all the confidence I need in my own work". "My hands are guided by the creator who said, "Janet, Do this your way, and then be done with it"."

You should be teaching, not asking for advice.

Later
Albert

http://www.showcaseyourmusic.com/lothlorienfantasy
http://www.gamblerschoice.us/

He's a walking contradiction,
partly truth and partly fiction, takin' every wrong direction on that
lonesome road back home.
gamblerschoice
Max Output Level: -43 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3226
Re:The Enemy 2011/03/22 01:02:05 (permalink)
"Russian was not exactly my goal, although I can hear it"

For some reason we all try to categorize songs and events by familliar genre. Who knows why, I think it is simply human nature. But your title "Enemy" suggests intention when writing, and that intention directed your instrumentation and the details of the composition's structure. Your music is not "classical", it is orchestration. But does not follow the classical instrumentation rules, since you are just now learning how the classic composers built their sound, and for the most part you throw those rules away and do it your own way. Just because we hear strings and horns and tympany we assume a classical influence. Simply placing a kick and snare with the emphasis on the first and third beat suggests certain things, etc. It gets a little tedious to my mind.

I honestly think that you are one of the composers who is working in a new, yet-un-named genre. There are others here, you know Ric, and yourself, who I would place in the "Nueveau Orchestra", since it is new orchestra, it is not classical, and the classical influence is not really there, those composers are long dead. We are hearing new composers with new instrumentations, with new influences.

I like it.

Later
Albert

http://www.showcaseyourmusic.com/lothlorienfantasy
http://www.gamblerschoice.us/

He's a walking contradiction,
partly truth and partly fiction, takin' every wrong direction on that
lonesome road back home.
Janet
Re:The Enemy 2011/03/22 08:57:30 (permalink)
Albert, you've always been too kind and my biggest cheerleader.  If it weren't for you in the beginning of this journey, I would have given up long ago.  Your confidence in me is a little too high, but I know I'm making progress.  :) And it's mostly thanks to those hear that so kindly listen and continue to give advice.  That, and the millions of hours I sit fighting with this stuff on my DAW.  :) As for the classical...you're right.  I wasn't sure what genre to pick as the choice seemed sort of narrow.  I'm sure it's not classical and you're right...I don't know the rules. I'm just glad I know a few chords.  :) 

I hope you're feeling better soon.  If your body wants to rest and sleep, then let it.  It obviously knows what's best.  I actually do remember what I did yesterday morning but my body would like to forget.  I split wood (with a splitter) for 7 1/2 hours.  And I'm going at it again today.  During my week off.

Thanks again Albert. You're a real gem. 
post edited by Janet - 2011/03/22 08:59:15
vechung
Max Output Level: -74 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 818
Re:The Enemy 2011/03/22 09:31:39 (permalink)
This is excellent work!  The drums really add drama to the piece.

http://www.soundclick.com/vicentechung
https://soundcloud.com/thefoundandthelost

Vicente 

Sonar Platinum, Live 10, Motu 828, Ozone 7
markno999
Max Output Level: -62 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1450
Re:The Enemy 2011/03/22 12:02:07 (permalink)
Janet,

Quite nice.  I am always impressed when people conceive the ideas, compose and arrange pieces like this.   I am sure your piano skills make it easier to do scores like this than someone who doesn't play piano, but still, quite impressive work.  Nice shades, movement, etc....  

Regards
morenoise
Max Output Level: -69 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1074
Re:The Enemy 2011/03/22 12:18:15 (permalink)
Hi Janet, just listened to it again and again. A beautiful symphonic poem if ever I've heard one.

Greetings, Rik
Purple Rhapsody
Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 469
Re:The Enemy 2011/03/22 16:36:11 (permalink)
Hi Janet,

Wow.

Having used EW to completely create some tracks on a previous album I can only imagine how many hours you spent twiddling knobs to get the CC11 right. And then tweaking the cymbals to please people here... and then re-tweaking them... and then risking the performance of your whole setup by applying the 'Dark Abbey' reverb (it used to always bring my system grinding to a halt).

Anyway, musically I think it's fantastic. I like the arrangement. There are a couple of places where there seems to be a conglomeration of low brass which verges on sounding muddy (but I'm listening on laptop speakers at the moment so it might be that). I like the themes, I like the percussion, and I wholeheartedly second the comment above about being a nouveau composer (or whatever term was used).

I also agree that in the little time I've been listening to your music you've reached the place where you can have the confidence to say "Here it is... hope you enjoy it because it's done". You can then quietly absorb all the advice and use it for your next masterpiece!

Looking forward to a top 10 entry for your next album in the classical music charts! :)

Cheers,
Terry.

Purple Rhapsody - emotions without words http://purplerhapsody.co.uk/
RobertB
  • Total Posts : 11256
Re:The Enemy 2011/03/22 17:32:14 (permalink)
Janet

Albert,....  Your confidence in me is a little too high, 
No..It's really not.
This has the sound of a performance at Boetcher Hall in Denver, which has wonderful acoustics, imo. This has a huge sound, and very clean.
The song itself is magnificent. That bit of tympani madness at 2:00 makes me chuckle. Nothing wrong there, I just get a kick out of it.
Needs more cowbell, though

My Soundclick Page
SONAR Professional, X3eStudio,W7 64bit, AMD Athlon IIx4 2.8Ghz, 4GB RAM, 64bit, AKAI EIE Pro, Nektar Impact LX61,Alesis DM6,Alesis ControlPad,Yamaha MG10/2,Alesis M1Mk2 monitors,Samson Servo300,assorted guitars,Lava Lamp

Shimozu-Kushiari or Bob
ohgrant
Max Output Level: -35.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3966
Re:The Enemy 2011/03/22 20:28:33 (permalink)
 Just awesome Janet, total ear candy.

Me

Janet
Re:The Enemy 2011/03/22 20:28:34 (permalink)
Thank you, Vicente!  :)

Thank you, Mark!  I was actually thinking about that while I was composing this....how I'm so glad I can play the piano and read music.  Not that it's a must to be able to do this, but I'm guessing it's easier.  I don't know.  Some who don't read music have more musicality in their little fingers than I'll ever have though.  As far as conceiving the idea though...it was basically how to work with that opening them, then find a few bars to fit in between them, and make them different each time.  I had a chord chart of the whole thing (that got changed along the way), but I basically sat down and wrote one section at a time, not really having an idea what was going to come next.  It was sorta fun watching it grow. :) 

Rik:  Symphonic poem.  I like that.  It also tickles me that you listened again and again.  So glad you like it.  :)

Terry, if I agree to be your publicist, you can write reviews for me, OK?  :)  You're probably right about that low brass.  I don't have a great set-up for play back so I miss lots of things.  As far as CC 11 work... yes, it's tedious.  I'm waiting for Ron, who patiently taught me how to use that, to pipe in a say how much more it needs.  :)  I'm glad the Dark Abbey reverb didn't bring my system down too. (it's not a very old system...glad it can still keep up!)  I'm not sure how, or if, I'll use the reverbs (there are so many!!) in EW, but it was cool to discover them.  I have a feeling I'll never learn everything EW has to offer!
Anyway, so glad you like it.  It's becoming one of my favorites and I'm glad some notice the subtleties, which is my favorite part of the whole thing.  I still don't know where they come from.  lol

Thanks so much Bob.  Maybe that timp did get a little crazy there, but I thought it fit.  I guess if it made you smile and not cringe, that's not a bad thing.  :)  Thanks again for the kudos.  I appreciate it immensely.  And once again, I SO appreciate you being along on this crazy ride the last 3 1/2 years! :)
rockinrobby
  • Total Posts : 1265
Re:The Enemy 2011/03/22 21:50:02 (permalink)
I like this mix better.

http://www.reverbnation.com/rockinrobby

Evil lurks here among us again... "Beware."
mgh
  • Total Posts : 8594
Re:The Enemy 2011/03/23 07:20:12 (permalink)
excellent stuff Janet. mix sounds pretty good to me. The only part i thought sounded a bit 'fake' was around the 2'12 mark when the horns play quite quickly. there is also a loud click at 2'08ish, happened on both times i listened.

great tune!

Memorare debut album 'Philistine' available now http://blackwoodproductio...philistine-digipack-cd
Tap
Max Output Level: -30 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4536
Re:The Enemy 2011/03/23 14:34:37 (permalink)
Really, Really nice, Janet.  I think you definitely got this orchestration thing down. Love the percussion!!!! Well done!!! Man, you've come a long way. 

MC4 - M-Audio FW410 / Behringer UCA202 - Fender Strat / Jazzmaster / DuoSonic / Washburn / Peavy Foundation M-Audio Radium 49 Roland Juno 106 / JazzChorus / Seymore Duncan Convertible - HP A1230N ( AMD Athalon 3800+ 2G Ram + 200G HD )

http://soundclick.com/cut2thechaise

Thatsastrat
  • Total Posts : 1267
Re:The Enemy 2011/03/23 16:01:06 (permalink)
Janet,
You look as if you are tall already, but if you keep stretching out like this you will be 7' 3" by fall. LOL
Janet
Re:The Enemy 2011/03/23 21:38:09 (permalink)
Thanks for coming back, Robby. :)

Mark:  hey, I heard that click this time through.  What good ears you have!  I'll have to see what that is.  The french horns sound fake, huh?  Phooey...I'll see if I can do something with them.  Thanks so much! 

Thanks Jim. :)  Well, I know I've still got lots to learn, but it's more fun now anyway.  And the percussion...it's a cinch with EW.  Wow...basically hit a note and hold it as long as you want.  None of that messing around with making your own timpani rolls.  I love it!!  Thanks for the kind comments.

Thanks so much, Bruce. :)  I think 5'8" is plenty tall though.  :) 
Page: < 1234 > Showing page 2 of 4
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1