The SONAR 8.3 Log

Page: < 12345 > Showing page 2 of 5
Author
guitartrek
Max Output Level: -47 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2842
RE: The SONAR 8.3 Log 2009/03/01 11:30:29 (permalink)
Thanks Noel. It is really cool that you guys are so accessible, transparent and interested in comments from your customer base. It reminds me of how lucky I feel that I chose Cakewalk / Sonar from the very start. It is your attitudes and dedication that make your company so great.
puffer
Max Output Level: -74 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 836
RE: The SONAR 8.3 Log 2009/03/01 11:45:54 (permalink)
Holy crap!

I love these post-version lists you post. Nice for us non-team, non-tester users to really see the work that went into the soup.

I already love the improvements to the CPU meter. So much more useful and less distracting! And, oh my, look how stable that is!

So, well done to the team. I'm so glad this got out the door and on my system.

digitallofi.bandcamp.com
F@KKER
Max Output Level: -82 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 440
RE: The SONAR 8.3 Log 2009/03/01 11:50:32 (permalink)
I am excited to hear from so many users about the fixes and improvements!

Anyone have feedback regarding the FW-1184?

F@KKER

(geez, now what will the Reaperites boast about?)

Someone said:
I've had more time to play with this, and am withdrawing the bug remarks.
This appears to work as designed and is actually a pretty cool feature.
Richard Fey
Max Output Level: -78 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 650
RE: The SONAR 8.3 Log 2009/03/01 11:59:14 (permalink)
Cool read, thanks for the details!

post edited by Richard Fey - 2009/03/02 16:51:05
Middleman
Max Output Level: -31.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4397
RE: The SONAR 8.3 Log 2009/03/01 12:01:47 (permalink)
RE: Bob's super helpful EI usage guide, you can also find this in our knowledge base here: http://www.cakewalk.com/support/kb/kb20090222.asp

Holy, guacamole! I can freeze the external insert effects? That is darn useful, I was just printing them in real time. Very cool capability.
post edited by Middleman - 2009/03/01 12:07:21

Gear: A bunch of stuff.
Ham N Egz
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 15161
RE: The SONAR 8.3 Log 2009/03/01 12:05:21 (permalink)
Yes, thank you , Noel, and the CW crew for titanic work . Most of all, THANK You , the moderators, and staff for showing tremendous restraint and civility during the barrage of "where is it?" postings...

Cakewalk .. a Class Act ......

Green Acres is the place to be
 I dont twitter, facebook, snapchat, instagram,linkedin,tumble,pinterest,flick, blah blah,lets have an old fashioned conversation!

eratu
Max Output Level: -46.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2856
RE: The SONAR 8.3 Log 2009/03/01 12:19:52 (permalink)
Thanks, Noel, excellent post. Maybe sticky this one? I really appreciate the detail.
Noel Borthwick [Cakewalk]
Cakewalk Staff
  • Total Posts : 6475
RE: The SONAR 8.3 Log 2009/03/01 13:17:12 (permalink)
Hi Danny,

Good questions. I don't have answers for all of them but I can try.

>>Now that this release is probably what most (as well as you guys at Cake) would be happy with, will you still have a
>>strict deadline to put out a Sonar 9 or whatever by October?

That's been Cakewalk's business model forever - We do need to make money :-)
Anyway, that's not an area that we in Engineering are directly involved with as far as decision making goes.

>>To me, this is really what 8 should have been and with this version I fully retract my previous statement of "S8 is a
>>modded version of 7." :) 8.02 worked well for me so in reality, it was "my" final version. But this is just insane with all
>>the new stuff and I'm grateful.

In the software world EVERY version is a "modded" version of the earlier. Good software design allows you to build upon what you have rather than reinventing the wheel each time. It would be disasterous if companies started fresh with every new version. Its stable now because its gone through the evolution it has. That said every year we refactor (to use a technical term) some things that need rearchitecting.

>>2. When you do go to make a 9, will you use this code and just add more insane enhancements?
Yes, more insane enhancements :-)

>>I guess what I'm getting at is, (and I mean no disrespect) I would really hate to buy a new version in October and deal
>>with bugs/errors. I know that October is a long way off, but to be honest, I'm not really looking forward to a new Sonar
>>until this time next year. I feel this was a totally new Sonar and could have easily been S9.

I'm glad you think so but the scope of the things that went into 8.3 is relatively tiny compared to what went into S8 the main release. I understand your perspective as an end user though. We don't strive to release versions that have bugs intentionally but any developer will tell you that bugs are present in ALL software. Its all about whether the bugs present affect a significant percentage of the users that determine whether the software is perceived as buggy or not.
Good software process that we attempt to follow strives to minimize this percentage.

>>3. Do you feel that 8.3 may have been a ground-breaking template for possible versions in the future that may be more stable?

Yes and every version we release typically becomes a template for the next in this way.

>>But do you think the extra work you've all done here may literally raise the bar from your standpoint for the future?
We strive to raise the bar on stability every version we do. As I said above its all about how much of the end user experience we cover in our testing. The test matrix for SONAR is mind bogglingly massive so its physically impossible to test every user interaction with the program. This is where our beta testers help out.

>>4. How long do you use some of the core codes before you decide it's time to totally rebuild them from the ground up?
We still have a few pieces of code that Greg Hendershott wrote back in the early 90's :-)
We change code when rearchitecture is needed. However code is always being modified. I don't have numbers but in S8 itself we probably changed hundreds of thousands of lines of existing code.

>>On our end we just sometimes look at things in the light of "look, it still doesn't work...we don't care if you worked on it 3 months!"

Our end users are musicians and engineers. Its our job to understand how to make our software feel stable and productive to people without them having to think about it. In a sense it can actually be less frustrating working on it from our perspective. You are the guys sitting in front of it ever day for hours. In that environment the slightest hinderance tends to become a major frustration. We try and address these sorts of issues when we become aware of them.

Thanks for your feedback.

Noel Borthwick
Senior Manager Audio Core, BandLab
My Blog, Twitter, BandLab Profile
Noel Borthwick [Cakewalk]
Cakewalk Staff
  • Total Posts : 6475
RE: The SONAR 8.3 Log 2009/03/01 13:32:01 (permalink)
Thanks, I linked to it from the article. I've also added a new section for "New application error notifications"

ORIGINAL: Willy Jones [Cakewalk]

RE: Bob's super helpful EI usage guide, you can also find this in our knowledge base here: http://www.cakewalk.com/support/kb/kb20090222.asp

Noel Borthwick
Senior Manager Audio Core, BandLab
My Blog, Twitter, BandLab Profile
Funkybot
Max Output Level: -75 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 796
RE: The SONAR 8.3 Log 2009/03/01 13:40:31 (permalink)
Noel,

Are you aware of any progress being made with the IK multimedia plugin (e.g. AmpegSVX, T-Racks 3) crashes in S8? Both IK and Cakewalk's tech support departments have confirmed the crashes, but it's been several months now and there hasn't been any updates to address the crashes. What particular concerns me is that these crashes don't occur in Sonar 7, yet nothing was supposed to change in the VST wrapper.

Any update on that would be much appreciated.

Intel i7 4790k, ASUS Z97-A mobo, 16GB Kingston DDR3 RAM, Windows 10 x64,  UAD2 Duo, RME Fireface 800, Sonar X1/X2 Producer
erichodge
Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 71
RE: The SONAR 8.3 Log 2009/03/01 14:36:33 (permalink)
i'm having some major issues with Sonar 8.0.3. i am completely willing to admit this could be due to ignorance on my part.

here is what i've done....

i switched my machine from XP 32 bit to a Vista 64 bit system. i installed sonar, upgraded with all the patches, and then dropped in 8.3. after that, i installed all of my vst's.... some of which went to the x86 program files version of sonar, most of which when to the regular program files directory and some went to both.

issue is... plug ins quite simply are causing the system to not respond, freeze, not give sound output, totally hang... just brutal.

i've check into the compatibility of my plug-ins with 64 bit systems... and the ones i am using in the current project are compatible. i am noticing even the boost11_64 plug giving me issues...

any ideas? please help.

cheers,
eric
Tom F
Max Output Level: -48 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2749
RE: The SONAR 8.3 Log 2009/03/01 14:51:15 (permalink)
8.3 is coooooool!!!

...trying to be polite... quick temper...trying to be...
legobeats
Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 123
RE: The SONAR 8.3 Log 2009/03/01 15:29:11 (permalink)
Noel, what a great post and a very interesting insight into your work!!! That's why I feel happy about my switch from Cubase to Sonar: Cakewalk really DOES have a customer relationship. Very happy here with 8.3. Obviously being owned by Roland is not the worst thing that could happen to all you Bakers

Thumbs up very high!!!

Sonar PE 8.5.3 & X1, WIN7, C2D E6600, ASUS P5B SE, NVidia 8500, Corsair 2GB, M-AUDIO PROJECTMIX I/O, Roland TD-12
John
Forum Host
  • Total Posts : 30467
RE: The SONAR 8.3 Log 2009/03/01 15:31:07 (permalink)
i'm having some major issues with Sonar 8.0.3. i am completely willing to admit this could be due to ignorance on my part.

here is what i've done....

i switched my machine from XP 32 bit to a Vista 64 bit system. i installed sonar, upgraded with all the patches, and then dropped in 8.3. after that, i installed all of my vst's.... some of which went to the x86 program files version of sonar, most of which when to the regular program files directory and some went to both.

issue is... plug ins quite simply are causing the system to not respond, freeze, not give sound output, totally hang... just brutal.

i've check into the compatibility of my plug-ins with 64 bit systems... and the ones i am using in the current project are compatible. i am noticing even the boost11_64 plug giving me issues...

any ideas? please help.

cheers,
eric
Ever hear of the word hijack? As a matter of courtesy please start a new thread for your problem. This thread is about basking in the glow of the epic efforts of CW.
post edited by John - 2009/03/01 15:37:56

Best
John
panup
Max Output Level: -50 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2538
RE: The SONAR 8.3 Log 2009/03/01 15:54:44 (permalink)
Thank you Noel and Cakewalk tech team for the 8.3.
Thank you VERY, VERY MUCH. Today Sonar has become the best PC DAW.

Keep on rocking!

-Panu
SteveD
Max Output Level: -47 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2831
RE: The SONAR 8.3 Log 2009/03/01 17:35:18 (permalink)
Awesome write up Noel. Thank you so much for this update. You and your team should be really proud of this one.

SteveD
DAWPRO Drum Tracks

... addicted to gear
DeveryH
Max Output Level: -75 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 780
RE: The SONAR 8.3 Log 2009/03/01 17:41:29 (permalink)
I have to admit this is impressive work and I don't even have version 8 (yet).
strikinglyhandsome1
Max Output Level: -3 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 7224
RE: The SONAR 8.3 Log 2009/03/01 17:45:01 (permalink)
I may write a song about you.

Qwerty69
Max Output Level: -62 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1435
RE: The SONAR 8.3 Log 2009/03/01 17:56:48 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: DonM

Noel:

The commensurate professional. Thank you for this post. I deeply appreciate your respect and collegiality with the user community in this type of communication that you so frequently provide us. You and your team deserve much credit for your work and the excellent support you provide us.

Take a well deserved rest and as soon as the weather breaks we'll drive up to Boston and wash and wax your car.

-D

I 100% concur and endore this post.

This release is truly fantastic and a mammoth amount of work. I love it, I love it, I love it.

Thank you all so very much.

Regards,

Q.
erichodge
Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 71
RE: The SONAR 8.3 Log 2009/03/01 18:30:47 (permalink)
thanks JOHN. sorry i f'd with your protocol.
Danny Danzi
  • Total Posts : 5810
RE: The SONAR 8.3 Log 2009/03/01 18:56:44 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Noel Borthwick [Cakewalk]

Hi Danny,

Good questions. I don't have answers for all of them but I can try.

>>Now that this release is probably what most (as well as you guys at Cake) would be happy with, will you still have a
>>strict deadline to put out a Sonar 9 or whatever by October?

That's been Cakewalk's business model forever - We do need to make money :-)
Anyway, that's not an area that we in Engineering are directly involved with as far as decision making goes.

>>To me, this is really what 8 should have been and with this version I fully retract my previous statement of "S8 is a
>>modded version of 7." :) 8.02 worked well for me so in reality, it was "my" final version. But this is just insane with all
>>the new stuff and I'm grateful.

In the software world EVERY version is a "modded" version of the earlier. Good software design allows you to build upon what you have rather than reinventing the wheel each time. It would be disasterous if companies started fresh with every new version. Its stable now because its gone through the evolution it has. That said every year we refactor (to use a technical term) some things that need rearchitecting.

>>2. When you do go to make a 9, will you use this code and just add more insane enhancements?
Yes, more insane enhancements :-)

>>I guess what I'm getting at is, (and I mean no disrespect) I would really hate to buy a new version in October and deal
>>with bugs/errors. I know that October is a long way off, but to be honest, I'm not really looking forward to a new Sonar
>>until this time next year. I feel this was a totally new Sonar and could have easily been S9.

I'm glad you think so but the scope of the things that went into 8.3 is relatively tiny compared to what went into S8 the main release. I understand your perspective as an end user though. We don't strive to release versions that have bugs intentionally but any developer will tell you that bugs are present in ALL software. Its all about whether the bugs present affect a significant percentage of the users that determine whether the software is perceived as buggy or not.
Good software process that we attempt to follow strives to minimize this percentage.

>>3. Do you feel that 8.3 may have been a ground-breaking template for possible versions in the future that may be more stable?

Yes and every version we release typically becomes a template for the next in this way.

>>But do you think the extra work you've all done here may literally raise the bar from your standpoint for the future?
We strive to raise the bar on stability every version we do. As I said above its all about how much of the end user experience we cover in our testing. The test matrix for SONAR is mind bogglingly massive so its physically impossible to test every user interaction with the program. This is where our beta testers help out.

>>4. How long do you use some of the core codes before you decide it's time to totally rebuild them from the ground up?
We still have a few pieces of code that Greg Hendershott wrote back in the early 90's :-)
We change code when rearchitecture is needed. However code is always being modified. I don't have numbers but in S8 itself we probably changed hundreds of thousands of lines of existing code.

>>On our end we just sometimes look at things in the light of "look, it still doesn't work...we don't care if you worked on it 3 months!"

Our end users are musicians and engineers. Its our job to understand how to make our software feel stable and productive to people without them having to think about it. In a sense it can actually be less frustrating working on it from our perspective. You are the guys sitting in front of it ever day for hours. In that environment the slightest hinderance tends to become a major frustration. We try and address these sorts of issues when we become aware of them.

Thanks for your feedback.

Hi Noel,

Thanks so much for the detailed response. I didn't think you would have a chance to address those questions, but it sure was nice of you to do so! Here I was thinking that Christopher M guy was speaking for you...then it dawned on me...hmm that doesn't sound like the way Noel talks. LOL! Thanks so much again, Noel...another day working with this app and not a single issue! :)

My Site
Fractal Audio Endorsed Artist & Beta Tester
John
Forum Host
RE: The SONAR 8.3 Log 2009/03/01 19:24:11 (permalink)
Danny I have not found any problems either. It seems all the little bugs I had are gone too. The non redraw of the bus confidence wave preview after a mute. The MIDI meters stop working after a mute and the zipper sound at stop then play are all gone. It as smooth as it was meant to be. Hopefully the issue you had is also a thing of the past.

I am pleased with this version yet in a way I do think it should have been this way all along. I am not one to think that a new version wont have bugs yet Sonar and apps like Sonar are what I would call critical for the use they are put to. That means no version should leave the developers without it being as bug free as is humanly possible. Many here rely on Sonar for important work bugs that interfere with that are not acceptable.

I do think that many that have had problems can trace many of those problem to system issues hardware issues and user error. But some that have no basis in the above are strictly due to a poor testing or quality control at CW. Judging by the wonderful post of Noel much of these could have been known and fixed before Sonar 8.00 ever left CW.

None the less I am grateful to the CW team for getting Sonar 8 working as it should.

I would still like Aim Assist to be able to lock to a point on the time line and it not be moved or disappear as an option. This way one could bring clips to it as they wish as a clear line to line up to.

Best
John
Danny Danzi
  • Total Posts : 5810
RE: The SONAR 8.3 Log 2009/03/01 19:35:39 (permalink)
That's great John! You usually don't have many issues with Sonar though...the same as I really don't. My stuff is usually so minimal, it's not worth talking about. Well, I'm sorry to say...the old EEEEEEeeeEEEEE noise paid me a visit a bit ago. Just started yelling at me for no reason. Something in that Layla card just seems to go ballistic every so often. The weird thing is I use 5 different appz on my machine and the only one that makes it do it is Sonar. It happened while Sonar was just idling....no audio was being played or anything. I guess it may be time for me to either have the card checked or replaced. What I don't understand is why it takes it a month or longer to start yelling...my music isn't that bad man! LOL! The new split clips option rules, and no more gaps in punch out...so I'm totally happy! Glad things are working well for you too. Hey, by the way John, anywhere for me to hear some of your tunes? Been talking to you on here for a while now and have never heard your stuff. I'd like to hear some if you don't mind sharing sometime. Take care bro. :)

My Site
Fractal Audio Endorsed Artist & Beta Tester
John
Forum Host
RE: The SONAR 8.3 Log 2009/03/01 19:48:34 (permalink)
I am no composer I do stuff for others and I don't think I can share that, sorry. That may change soon with a new group I have been working with.

I do work with MIDI to a great extent though.

Best
John
millzy
Max Output Level: -73 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 890
RE: The SONAR 8.3 Log 2009/03/01 20:25:16 (permalink)
Fantastic stuff!

And 8.3 is a real gem - awesome!

Congrats, you deserve it.

Millzy

i7 3770K, 16gb ram, Samsung EVO SSD, 2 x WD drives, RME Babyface, Win 10 (x64), Cakewalk by Bandlab, heaps of other stuff.
Silence Dogood
Max Output Level: -82 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 434
RE: The SONAR 8.3 Log 2009/03/01 20:38:02 (permalink)

Now there's a blast from the past!
David A. Batson
Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 203
RE: The SONAR 8.3 Log 2009/03/01 21:12:42 (permalink)
Thanks ever so much Noel and Company!!
bitflipper
01100010 01101001 01110100 01100110 01101100 01101
  • Total Posts : 26036
RE: The SONAR 8.3 Log 2009/03/01 21:30:12 (permalink)
Thanks, Noel. As you can see by the responses, some of us really eat this stuff up.

Not a single respondent has said "don't bother us with the details".

(Of course, the "fix this or I'll switch to CubeTools" dweebs probably didn't finish reading page one...)

All else is in doubt, so this is the truth I cling to. 

My Stuff
Treefight
Max Output Level: -73 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 868
RE: The SONAR 8.3 Log 2009/03/01 21:40:59 (permalink)
THANK YOU SO MUCH Noel and crew!

The post following the release is a HUGE part of why I remain with Sonar - that the company listens, works hard, and responds. It's a very rare instance of a corporation and consumers having positive, constructive, two-way communications.

Sonar 8 has changed the game for me entirely, for the better, and even when I have bad days (see recent posts) and think - fleetingly - "hmmm, maybe one of the other DAWs wouldn't have these issues," even though I KNOW that isn't true, on days like today I am reminded why Sonar is special in ways other DAWs never will be.

And in doing these "small things," like like your post, you really re-ignite my faith in Sonar and it also really helps being reminded that software is still software and that you are doing all you can to fix bugs and make things better, not just sitting down on Summer Street eating bon bons and watching General Hospital. Lots of hard work for a free update. As it should be, but it's REALLY encouraging to us users to hear about it in detail. Puts things in perspective.

As you know by now, we LOVE - revel in - the details, so don't be shy.

Stuff.
mudgel
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 12010
RE: The SONAR 8.3 Log 2009/03/01 22:38:58 (permalink)
Of course there are those who will call us SONAR fanboys for heaping praise on all the Cakewalk efforts but I like to offer my congratulations not only on what seems to be a stable release/update but also the manner in which you guys conduct yourselves. Thanks; keep up the good work.

from my point of view you can't communicate too much with us.

But as John mentioned it seems there were things in this update that really should have been caught before release of Version 8 not just now. Why not expand the beta testing program. Maybe open it up to others that have been previously rejected.

edited for spelling too not to!
post edited by mudgel - 2009/03/02 01:19:46

Mike V. (MUDGEL)

STUDIO: Win 10 Pro x64, SPlat & CbB x64,
PC: ASUS Z370-A, INTEL i7 8700k, 32GIG DDR4 2400, OC 4.7Ghz.
Storage: 7 TB SATA III, 750GiG SSD & Samsung 500 Gig 960 EVO NVMe M.2.
Monitors: Adam A7X, JBL 10” Sub.
Audio I/O & DSP Server: DIGIGRID IOS & IOX.
Screen: Raven MTi + 43" HD 4K TV Monitor.
Keyboard Controller: Native Instruments Komplete Kontrol S88.
Page: < 12345 > Showing page 2 of 5
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1