The SONAR 8.3 Log

Page: < 12345 > Showing page 3 of 5
Author
BRainbow
Max Output Level: -83 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 399
RE: The SONAR 8.3 Log 2009/03/01 23:02:59 (permalink)
What a Love Fest!

Cakewalk (forever), Two WIN10 64-bit DAWs: home-brew ASRock x299 Taichi / i7 7820x w/ 64GB RAM and ASUS X99A-II / i7-5820K w/ 32GB RAM, ZOOM UAC 8, Mackie ONYX 1640i FW Mixer/Interface, Mackie ONYX 1200F, Avalon U5 PreAmp, NI Komplete 11 Ultimate, EastWest Composer CloudX, Yamaha MOTIF XS8, Ensoniq SD-1 and ESQ-1, Korg M1rEX, Yamaha TX-81Z, Roland D110, Line6 HELIX Rack and Native, POD HD-Pro, POD Farm 2.5, Yamaha NS-10 and Presonus Eris E8 monitors, Yamaha Disklavier Upright Piano, mics, guitars, basses, and the cutest little tambourine.
Storm
Max Output Level: -74 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 808
RE: The SONAR 8.3 Log 2009/03/02 00:07:59 (permalink)
And its now official......SONAR is the best DAW. Spread the love.
Saintom
Max Output Level: -58 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1749
RE: The SONAR 8.3 Log 2009/03/02 00:29:47 (permalink)
Well thats why 8.3 works so well, Thank Noel

Tom

Sometimes we see the light, Sometimes we stare at the light, and wonder why it is so bright...
ChristopherM
Max Output Level: -56 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1921
RE: The SONAR 8.3 Log 2009/03/02 01:36:57 (permalink)
hmm that doesn't sound like the way Noel talks.
Actually, I was a little confused when, right after asking me to answer, Noel decide to do it himself as well, but - hey - that's what temperamental, creative geniuses are like. Still, apart from slight differences of tone, I don't think that the two sets of answers are very far apart.
cmusicmaker
Max Output Level: -52 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2328
RE: The SONAR 8.3 Log 2009/03/02 06:50:50 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Noel Borthwick [Cakewalk]

We’re happy to see so many of you enjoying SONAR 8.3. I know some of you enjoy the trivia that goes into a release so here is the unabridged version of what went into SONAR 8.3 aka “the making of SONAR 8.3” aka the 8.3 fine print. If details aren’t what you like wading through, just go ahead and enjoy using the product and skip this – what you don’t know wont hurt you :-)

I just love these fine print threads. Superb! So much additional detail.
Noel Borthwick [Cakewalk]
Cakewalk Staff
  • Total Posts : 6475
RE: The SONAR 8.3 Log 2009/03/02 11:44:24 (permalink)
I added some more documentation foe the "PDC Override For Live Tracks" feature from our design notes, to explain some common questions about this feature.

Noel Borthwick
Senior Manager Audio Core, BandLab
My Blog, Twitter, BandLab Profile
gothic.angel
Max Output Level: -79 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 572
RE: The SONAR 8.3 Log 2009/03/02 12:51:41 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: Jonbouy

...Great post...I can see myself moving up from 7 because of this and the feedback it's getting...dang, and I promised I wouldn't be spending any more money this year!

...simple matter (well, money matters aside, of course...) ... if Sonar 7 DOES the job you want... Sonar 8 "is" what you need...
I mean, if you "can" upgrade... you must....

GothicAngeL - EBM - Dark Electronics

yevster
Max Output Level: -75 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 761
RE: The SONAR 8.3 Log 2009/03/02 14:49:40 (permalink)
Hi, Noel,

It's really awesome that you take the time to come in here and answer questions... I wish the Vista people afforded us the same courtesy, I sure have a few for them. :-)

Anyway, just wondering about this point:

>>But do you think the extra work you've all done here may literally raise the bar from your standpoint for the future?
We strive to raise the bar on stability every version we do. As I said above its all about how much of the end user experience we cover in our testing. The test matrix for SONAR is mind bogglingly massive so its physically impossible to test every user interaction with the program. This is where our beta testers help out.

Does this imply that no part of the regression test matrix is automated? I think, through my own experience with .0 versions and older seldom-used plugins, I know the answer, but it would be great to get the real scoop - are beta testers the first and last round of defense against bugs? Between Sonar's own automation potential (including CAL) and outside products (SilkTests and such), there must be a way to control regressions prior to beta testing.

edit: spelling/grammar
post edited by yevster - 2009/03/02 14:55:32
Noel Borthwick [Cakewalk]
Cakewalk Staff
  • Total Posts : 6475
RE: The SONAR 8.3 Log 2009/03/02 15:52:45 (permalink)
You left out our internal QA who are our first line of defence :-) They find and log the greatest number of bugs.
Today we automat only a few tests but they are basic. Many tests that involve the user interface or audio streaming are difficult to automate. Or even if we did automate them it would be a large effort to keep the tests themselves up to date and in sync. Plus you need someone to code the tests.

Noel Borthwick
Senior Manager Audio Core, BandLab
My Blog, Twitter, BandLab Profile
wmb
Max Output Level: -77 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 658
RE: The SONAR 8.3 Log 2009/03/02 15:58:22 (permalink)
I can really appreciate all that has been added/repaired/redesigned in 8.3. It's just great stuff. I'm sure everyone has their own pet issue and mine is BOUNCE TO CLIPS. In certain pan law settings the BTC command subtracts 3db. It's been happening for awhile and it is a daily hassle for me. IE and all the PDC options are very cool features that I will now be able to work into my routine but BTC is something I NEED every time I'm working. I don't use it as much as I would prefer because I have to change to another pan law setting where it's not broken and then change back. Unfortunately I prefer the pan behavior of one of the broken settings. Please fix this simple and necessary command before V9.

If it's not broken then please take a moment to explain why BTC should subtract 3db in certain pan laws and not others.

Thank you, William

X2 & X3c - GA-Z77X-UP5 TH mobo | i7 3770k | 16 gigs RAM | Win7/64 | Audio Drive 2TB RAID0 | Data & Backup 2TB RAID1 | OS drive 256 gig SSD | Apogee AD16x -> Tascam DM3200 -> IF-FWDM-mk2 via Apple FW to Thunderbolt adapter -
eternal85
Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 337
RE: The SONAR 8.3 Log 2009/03/02 16:18:30 (permalink)
wmb,

If I recall, there is mention of this in the Readme.doc file that comes with SONAR. It list the currently known bugs and suggested workarounds . . . I think I remember them talking about the -3db thing in there . . . check it out
SteveD
Max Output Level: -47 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2831
RE: The SONAR 8.3 Log 2009/03/02 16:22:08 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: wmb

I can really appreciate all that has been added/repaired/redesigned in 8.3. It's just great stuff. I'm sure everyone has their own pet issue and mine is BOUNCE TO CLIPS. In certain pan law settings the BTC command subtracts 3db. It's been happening for awhile and it is a daily hassle for me. IE and all the PDC options are very cool features that I will now be able to work into my routine but BTC is something I NEED every time I'm working. I don't use it as much as I would prefer because I have to change to another pan law setting where it's not broken and then change back. Unfortunately I prefer the pan behavior of one of the broken settings. Please fix this simple and necessary command before V9.

If it's not broken then please take a moment to explain why BTC should subtract 3db in certain pan laws and not others.

Thank you, William

I agree William. I use -3dB center when I mix and have to switch back to 0dB Center to bounce to clips or export mono tracks. It's a drag. Have you reported it to cakewalk as a bug?

P.S.
Really nice video btw. You're getting a great sound from your studio.

SteveD
DAWPRO Drum Tracks

... addicted to gear
wmb
Max Output Level: -77 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 658
RE: The SONAR 8.3 Log 2009/03/02 21:04:41 (permalink)
I reported it as a bug quite some time ago. I also champion it on the forum from time to time. I'm pretty busy so It's been tough to try to make a frequent stink about it. I do try to bring it up from time to time just to spread the word. Social engineering.

Thanks for the compliments on the video. I've actually booked to two jobs because of that clip. Total surprise considering I was mostly trying to make the artist look good and just having a good time with the whole thing.

Cheers.

X2 & X3c - GA-Z77X-UP5 TH mobo | i7 3770k | 16 gigs RAM | Win7/64 | Audio Drive 2TB RAID0 | Data & Backup 2TB RAID1 | OS drive 256 gig SSD | Apogee AD16x -> Tascam DM3200 -> IF-FWDM-mk2 via Apple FW to Thunderbolt adapter -
vuterly
Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 51
RE: The SONAR 8.3 Log 2009/03/03 07:46:02 (permalink)

>>Now that this release is probably what most (as well as you guys at Cake) would be happy with, will you still have a
>>strict deadline to put out a Sonar 9 or whatever by October?

That's been Cakewalk's business model forever - We do need to make money :-)

Had you considered there might be another way to secure or even increase profits? Such as guaranteeing the stability, fluidity and user friendliness of a major release, alongside the simple act of putting it out there and listing a bunch of new features?

What if you waited until this time next year and brought out something better a little later? There would be less threads with users reporting problems, instability etc. Prospective users might find that more appealing.

You probably won't respond to this post...but I would be interested to hear a perspective on this from someone at the company.
jackn2mpu
Max Output Level: -47.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2765
RE: The SONAR 8.3 Log 2009/03/03 08:25:46 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: vuterly

>>Now that this release is probably what most (as well as you guys at Cake) would be happy with, will you still have a
>>strict deadline to put out a Sonar 9 or whatever by October?

That's been Cakewalk's business model forever - We do need to make money :-)

Had you considered there might be another way to secure or even increase profits? Such as guaranteeing the stability, fluidity and user friendliness of a major release, alongside the simple act of putting it out there and listing a bunch of new features?

What if you waited until this time next year and brought out something better a little later? There would be less threads with users reporting problems, instability etc. Prospective users might find that more appealing.

You probably won't respond to this post...but I would be interested to hear a perspective on this from someone at the company.

Nice thought, but not really feasible. After all, Cake can't possibly know every way someone works with Sonar and they can't possibly test with every possible daw system configuration, can they? Sometimes you just have to tap into the user base for knowledge. When I had a legitimate day job as an electronics design engineer I used to write test procedures for the stuff I designed. I found it useful to have someone else run through the procedure to see if everything worked as it should. Occasionally there'd be problems found not just with the procedure itself but the hardware that I would automatically work around without thinking. So, in this sense it makes sense (ouch!) for Cake to do what it does.

Once again, thank you Seth and the other Cake personnel who post here. Shows you care, unlike those at TC Electronics with regards the Powercore dsp boxes. You wouldn't believe the problems raised on the Powercore forum and no action from the makers. To show you how bad they are at customer care, Vista 32 bit drivers are just at a public beta stage after all this time.

Jack
Qapla!
vuterly
RE: The SONAR 8.3 Log 2009/03/03 08:33:13 (permalink)
Not quite what I was referring to...

I understand Cakewalk have a monumental task in drawing up relevant test cases etc.

I'm talking about giving Sonar the kind of improvements that result from a little re-thinking and TLC. Make it work more intuitively, make it friendlier, iron out bugs which have nothing to do with hardware/software interaction e.g. not being able to drag clips between instrument tracks - that bug was only fixed in 8.3! I highly doubt it wasn't encountered during testing. No doubt there were some bigger fish to fry. Now, the smaller fish could be taken care of if Cakewalk gave themselves more breathing room.

With every release, the software becomes more complex. Yet the time in between releases stays the same. That's a problem, no?
jackn2mpu
Max Output Level: -47.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2765
RE: The SONAR 8.3 Log 2009/03/03 09:00:15 (permalink)

I understand Cakewalk have a monumental task in drawing up relevant test cases etc.

I'm talking about giving Sonar the kind of improvements that result from a little re-thinking and TLC. Make it work more intuitively, make it friendlier, iron out bugs which have nothing to do with hardware/software interaction e.g. not being able to drag clips between instrument tracks - that bug was only fixed in 8.3! I highly doubt it wasn't encountered during testing. No doubt there were some bigger fish to fry. Now, the smaller fish could be taken care of if Cakewalk gave themselves more breathing room.

With every release, the software becomes more complex. Yet the time in between releases stays the same. That's a problem, no?

No, and here's why: no one person or team can possibly find each and every bug or problem with a feature. There has yet to be any software written that's been bug-free. A programmer cannot possibly know every way his program is going to be used. If it were up to what you state, waiting for each and every bug to be squashed before release, you'd never have software released! Sometimes you just have to bite the bullet and hope for the best and make repairs afterwards. That's what Cake is good at.

Jack
Qapla!
vuterly
RE: The SONAR 8.3 Log 2009/03/03 09:03:21 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: jackn2mpu

No, and here's why: no one person or team can possibly find each and every bug or problem with a feature. There has yet to be any software written that's been bug-free. A programmer cannot possibly know every way his program is going to be used. If it were up to what you state, waiting for each and every bug to be squashed before release, you'd never have software released! Sometimes you just have to bite the bullet and hope for the best and make repairs afterwards. That's what Cake is good at.

I never said it should be "bug-free". I'm well aware that's impossible.

No point re-clarifying, because it's all in my post above...
Storm
Max Output Level: -74 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 808
RE: The SONAR 8.3 Log 2009/03/03 10:42:50 (permalink)
I'm with vuterly on this one. The software is bigger now and the yearly release cycle makes it harder to complete a new program in one year (reality 5-6 months because it's already March). So what if it comes in November now? Because more and more people are waiting longer and longer until the REAL UPDATES come out. Since 8.3 is the best SONAR so far, if a 9 comes out 6 months from now and customers KNOW it hasn't really been thoroughly tested (as has been the case this last release) they will WAIT until the real release which is months down the road. I really don't understand why companies don't see that. You can't mandate a release date....too many things going on. You've got to prove your "release" is solid and worthy of being put into the market. Does that mean bug free? No, so stop clinging to that as rational.

It should come out when it's a new product.
planist
Max Output Level: -73 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 883
RE: The SONAR 8.3 Log 2009/03/03 16:30:13 (permalink)
thanks. good, second readme.
planist
mudgel
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 12010
RE: The SONAR 8.3 Log 2009/03/03 17:17:38 (permalink)
I'm sure that whatever the next version is going to be it has already been worked on. Probably long before even 8 was released. I'd imagine they have a target for release time of a feature set. for each release but an ongoing development of SONAR from which each subsequent release is taken. That way they can add to their previous work and build onto rather than start from scratch each time.

Noel made it pretty clear in his comprehensive listing of what went into S8 how they progress between releases and why they use the annual release as their model for doing business.

Mike V. (MUDGEL)

STUDIO: Win 10 Pro x64, SPlat & CbB x64,
PC: ASUS Z370-A, INTEL i7 8700k, 32GIG DDR4 2400, OC 4.7Ghz.
Storage: 7 TB SATA III, 750GiG SSD & Samsung 500 Gig 960 EVO NVMe M.2.
Monitors: Adam A7X, JBL 10” Sub.
Audio I/O & DSP Server: DIGIGRID IOS & IOX.
Screen: Raven MTi + 43" HD 4K TV Monitor.
Keyboard Controller: Native Instruments Komplete Kontrol S88.
InstrEd
Max Output Level: -65 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1276
RE: The SONAR 8.3 Log 2009/03/03 18:21:26 (permalink)
Yep Noel did make it clear about the annual updates. Finale uses it to. So did Corel until of late.
Its not such a bad thing. If you want the most stable product, don't update right away. If like me for the last several releases I did upgrade right away. I knew there might be issues and for sure bugs, but I've been trying to support Cakewalk so they keep providing us with this great software that we use. Of course for me, if notation/staff view isn't addressed in Sonar 9, I won't be upgraded at the get go.

my .02cents worth.

Ed
VigilantSound
Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 474
RE: The SONAR 8.3 Log 2009/03/03 23:21:21 (permalink)
I just tried multiple configurations with External Inserts and they all worked Great.

Compressor on Bus
Compressor on Mono track
Both at once
Compressors on 4 mono tracks + 1 on a bus and 1 one the master.
Plugins before and after

Sounds Great.

ASUS P5BV-C, Intel Core 2 Quad 2.8 Ghz, Q9300,
4 gigs Ram, Win7-64 bit OSX 10.6
ADK 9000 I7, 6 gigs Ram, MacBookPro I7, 4 gigs Ram
MOTU 828Mk3, MOTU microbookII
SONAR PE X2A, Pro Tools 9.0.6, StudioOnePro 2.5.4
Ableton Live 9, Waves V.9, 

www.jesseahemmanuel.com

SONARtist
Max Output Level: -79 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 599
RE: The SONAR 8.3 Log 2009/03/04 07:29:45 (permalink)
Please let me add my deepest thanks to you Noel and the rest of the crew at Cakewalk ! I have been a long standing customer and every time you show that you care about us, it just proves again that I made the right decision !! Thank you again.
vuterly
RE: The SONAR 8.3 Log 2009/03/04 12:55:31 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: InstrEd

Its not such a bad thing. If you want the most stable product, don't update right away.

And for new users...?

Should there be a notice on the Cakewalk website instructing people to become licence holders only in the Spring?

ORIGINAL: InstrEd

I knew there might be issues and for sure bugs, but I've been trying to support Cakewalk so they keep providing us with this great software that we use. Of course for me, if notation/staff view isn't addressed in Sonar 9, I won't be upgraded at the get go.

I've been constructive too - reporting bugs, putting forward suggestions and trying my best to justify why they make sense, etc. I'd love Sonar 9 to get it together more, but at the moment I have to be sceptical on the likelihood of that happening, given the stringent release cycle.

It's also interesting how you use the phrase "trying to support cakewalk". Maybe not just in that one isolated example, but I do get the impression a lot of the users on this forum are a bit "institutionalised" into the Sonar way of life, i.e. they have something invested and err on the positive side. It's the job of the developers to be professional and on top of things - there shouldn't necessarily need to be a hard-core of users who prop up the product somewhat. Even with that in place, we have apparently only been introduced to the "definitive" or "most stable" release a full six months after version 8 arrived. But I still encounter bugs quite often, usually daily.

Out of curiosity, what improvements do you want to see in staff view?
InstrEd
Max Output Level: -65 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1276
RE: The SONAR 8.3 Log 2009/03/04 14:10:27 (permalink)
Hey, I'm not saying there are not bugs. But for me, I haven't had a show stopper. I know some times its a pain using the work a-rounds.
Its just I have tried Cubase and couldn't get use to it.

As far as notation/staff view. Triplets would be one of the fixes I would like. Plus it would be cool to have the PRV view and Staff view connected with lines showing where they are for easier editing. I have Finale, so I don't want/need Sonar to become a full fledged notation program. I need better integration with Finale.
Music XML 2.0 + support would be a great start. I just feel that notation and for that matter CAL has been put on the side-burner for too long. Man just think if Cakewalk had a great macro editor, what the forum members could write and put on-line to share with others. Comes to mind AJ's control surface plug in for Behringer BCR2000. I for one would take a crack at learning the macro commands. How about VBA for Cakewalk Sonar. Dust off my limited VB skills.

And for the record, I do wish they could stop the yearly update cycle, but I understand that Cakewalk is actually a small company and need revenue to survive.
I just decided the last few years to support them. I know others disagree in that and that is fine. I have a small business with my brother and times have been tough for the last two+ years.

ED
Gutch
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 36
RE: The SONAR 8.3 Log 2009/03/04 19:31:07 (permalink)
I've been avoiding the upgrade from 7PE to 8. Didn't think it was worth it -- Until now. Thanks for the details, Noel -- It's time for me to contribute a little to the economic stimulus...
yevster
Max Output Level: -75 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 761
RE: The SONAR 8.3 Log 2009/03/04 21:16:38 (permalink)
Read the disclaimer in red on the 8.3 download page before you get too happy. :-)
djjhart@aol.com
Max Output Level: -53.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2189
RE: The SONAR 8.3 Log 2009/03/05 11:07:38 (permalink)
crap 8.03 kicks are off cant record on this ..
kerry
Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 191
RE: The SONAR 8.3 Log 2009/03/05 14:55:14 (permalink)
I have waited, and waited, and waited, and waited, and waited, and waited, and waited, and waited, and waited, and waited, and waited,and waited,and waited, and waited, and waited, and waited, and waited, and waited, and waited, and waited, and waited,and waited, and waited, and waited, and waited,and waited, and waited, and waited, and waited,and waited, and waited, and waited, and waited, and waited, and waited, and waited, and waited, and waited, and waited,and waited,and waited, and waited, and waited, and waited, and waited, and waited, and waited, and waited, and waited,and waited, and waited, and waited, and waited,and waited, and waited, and waited, and waited,and waited, and waited, and waited, and waited, and waited, and waited, and waited, and waited, and waited, and waited,and waited,and waited, and waited, and waited, and waited, and waited, and waited, and waited, and waited, and waited,and waited, and waited, and waited, and waited,and waited, and waited, and waited, and waited,and waited, and waited, and waited, and waited, and waited, and waited, and waited, and waited, and waited, and waited,and waited,and waited, and waited, and waited, and waited, and waited, and waited, and waited, and waited, and waited,and waited, and waited, and waited, and waited,and waited, and waited, and waited, and waited,and waited, and waited, and waited, and waited, and waited, and waited, and waited, and waited, and waited, and waited,and waited,and waited, and waited, and waited, and waited, and waited, and waited, and waited, and waited, and waited,and waited, and waited, and waited, and waited,and waited, and waited, and waited, and waited,and waited, and waited, and waited, and waited, and waited, and waited, and waited, and waited, and waited, and waited,and waited,and waited, and waited, and waited, and waited, and waited, and waited, and waited, and waited, and waited,and waited, and waited, and waited, and waited,and waited, and waited, and waited, and waited,and waited, and waited, and waited, and waited, and waited, and waited, and waited, and waited, and waited, and waited,and waited,and waited, and waited, and waited, and waited, and waited, and waited, and waited, and waited, and waited,and waited, and waited, and waited, and waited,and waited, and waited, and waited, and waited,and waited, and waited, and waited, and waited, and waited, and waited, and waited, and waited, and waited, and waited,and waited,and waited, and waited, and waited, and waited, and waited, and waited, and waited, and waited, and waited,and waited, and waited, and waited, and waited,and waited, and waited, and waited, and waited,and waited,

to tell you all that SONAR 8.3 runs so beutifully well on my DAW, and all my UAD cards and everything and now I can focus totally on making music and I am soooooo satisfied with Cakewalk.

Well, that was about all I had to say.

Enjoy life, everybody.
:)

KeJ

www.jlm.no
...if you don't know where to go, you'll never know if you've been there...
Page: < 12345 > Showing page 3 of 5
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1