Helpful ReplyThe "Sonar X4 Release + Survey Question Speculation" katamari super thread.

Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 4 of 15
Author
Sanderxpander
Max Output Level: -36.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3873
Re: When is Sonar X4 coming out 2014/10/28 19:18:14 (permalink)
Just since brconflict brought it up, I think the much despised Adobe deal actually lets you run something like 99 days without verification online.

Actually, doing some math, Lightroom goes for like 100 bucks on a good day, Photoshop used to go between 550 and 600, so let's be cautious and say 650 for them together. At the non-discounted price of 12.50 a month, the photography deal works out as 150 a year. That means you could use it for over four years before equalling the original purchase. During which time about two upgrade cycles would occur, adding another 400 bucks for Photoshop alone. Which means you could go another three years almost to equal it with subscription costs, adding another update to the cycle, etc.

I'm just taking it as an example because it is a common one. But I really don't think subscriptions are always a bad thing.
post edited by Sanderxpander - 2014/10/28 19:57:26
mettelus
Max Output Level: -22 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5321
Re: Please don't move to a subscription model 2014/10/28 19:59:18 (permalink)
This debate can go on endlessly, but the bottom line for most users is 1) the people who generate revenue via a program (i.e. "Enterprise editions") and 2) people who are hobbyists. Businesses can easily pay subscription fees, but even then, some will not upgrade (there are a lot of LARGE profitable companies than ran XP until April of this year and only the lack of support forced the upgrade).

Subscriptions will affect hobbyists the most, and demographics really come into play on that. Downside is that people who do not make enough revenue from an application to pay a subscription fee will back out after a period. "Word of mouth advertising" is often underrated, and cannot be "bought"... I have introduced several people to SONAR (who subsequently bought it); but any time "Adobe" hits the conversation I recommend getting an OEM copy (I have even posted threads in this forum on that). No Adobe CS6 OEM user is going to miss much from the Adobe CC version, yet can get CS6 for only 4 months of the CC subscription.

I have been a long-time fan of Cakewalk (both for products and as a company), so I hope the day never comes that I say something like "Just buy X3, it is perfectly stable and you won't miss the features from the new version anyway."

ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero (Wi-Fi AC), i7-8700k, 16GB RAM, GTX-1070Ti, Win 10 Pro, Saffire PRO 24 DSP, A-300 PRO, plus numerous gadgets and gizmos that make or manipulate sound in some way.
ØSkald
Max Output Level: -66 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1248
Re: When is Sonar X4 coming out 2014/10/28 20:18:35 (permalink)
Do you think there will be an upgraded version of Melodyne? At least the assistance? I am thinking of upgrading to it now. For €99. But if it comes preloaded in sonar X4 I am going to wait.
scook
Forum Host
  • Total Posts : 24146
Re: When is Sonar X4 coming out 2014/10/28 20:37:25 (permalink)
I doubt Cakewalk will ever bundle anything more than Melodyne Essential with SONAR at the SONAR upgrade price. I thought Celemony gave everyone a 10 day window to upgrade to Editor after registering Essential. The price was very attractive. There were instances where Celemony honored the price after the 10 day window when asked by email. For a while Cakewalk had a promo bundle containing Producer with Editor but it was priced the same as upgrading Producer and taking advantage of the 10 day Editor upgrade offer. IIRC, Celemony like many software vendors have end of year sales usually starting at the end of November. If you can wait a few weeks, your patience may be rewarded.
Guitarpima
Max Output Level: -34 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4125
Re: Please don't move to a subscription model 2014/10/28 20:42:15 (permalink)
I don't think subscriptions will be harder on the hobbyist. Their paying $100.00 to $200 a year anyway. As long as the companies keep it within reason, it should not be a problem. Of course, this delves into the capitalism debate which is the reason for hackers.

The upside, and this is the best part, is that you will far more computing power than ever before. The X-box 1 already uses this concept and the gaming is far more powerful in a cloud based system. I don't know a lot about this aspect but it seems reasonable since they said as much on a video game documentary I saw on Netflix. Also, updates will be implemented easier for the developers and probably far more consistant. Again, I'm just guessing.

Notation, the original DAW. Everything else is just rote. We are who we are and no more than another. Humans, you people are crazy.

Win 7 x64  X2  Intel DX58SO, Intel i7 920 2.66ghz 12gb DDR3  ASUS ATI EAH5750  650w PSU 4x WD HDs 320gb  DVD, DVD RW Eleven Rack, KRK Rokit 8s and 10s sub
Anderton
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 14070
Re: When is Sonar X4 coming out 2014/10/28 20:54:06 (permalink)
scook
My comment was directed at the observation that Gibson Brands was privately held. I don't understand the distinction between public and private companies in this case. It would appear that you don't either.

Post #55 referenced maximizing profits for shareholders. One of the commonly cited differences is that privately held corporations generally seek to minimize tax obligations, while publicly held corporations generally seek to increase profits for shareholders. It sounded like he was referring to that "business 101" characterization, and by grouping Gibson and Avid (which has traded publicly for over 20 years), it seemed like he thought they were both public. 

Of course there are other differences, like disclosure laws and the public having access to part of a company's assets by participation in an initial public offering. However, one of a private company's advantages is that management holds the stock so they don't have to answer to outside stockholders. Another advantage is that privately held companies don't have to disclose financial information because they aren't listed on a stock exchange. Therefore they can lose money in the process of investing for the future without getting static from shareholders, or tipping their hand to competitors.

Compare the health of privately held vs. publicly held magazines...I don't think it's just coincidence. The privately held ones seem either more willing, or more able, to re-invest their profits back into the company to spur future growth. 

The first 3 books in "The Musician's Guide to Home Recording" series are available from Hal Leonard and http://www.reverb.com. Listen to my music on http://www.YouTube.com/thecraiganderton, and visit http://www.craiganderton.com. Thanks!
Anderton
Re: Please don't move to a subscription model 2014/10/28 20:58:28 (permalink)
Just to be clear, Adobe's programs install locally. You do not run them from the cloud. At first, I though it would work that way and you could take advantage of a zillion networked computers to render your feature film in 20 seconds...apparently that's not how it works.

The first 3 books in "The Musician's Guide to Home Recording" series are available from Hal Leonard and http://www.reverb.com. Listen to my music on http://www.YouTube.com/thecraiganderton, and visit http://www.craiganderton.com. Thanks!
Paul P
Max Output Level: -48.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2685
Re: Please don't move to a subscription model 2014/10/28 21:03:14 (permalink)
Guitarpima
I don't think subscriptions will be harder on the hobbyist. Their paying $100.00 to $200 a year anyway. As long as the companies keep it within reason, it should not be a problem. Of course, this delves into the capitalism debate which is the reason for hackers.

I don't agree with this unless you can stop the subscription and continue using the product.  I'm surely not the most profitable type of customer, especially since X3 already does way more than I'll learn to use until I retire, which won't be for a while, but I want what I have to work properly and will continue to upgrade (on sale) until I'm satisfied with the bug count.  I thought I was until I read today that a sustain pedal won't work properly (I'm a piano player of sorts) and won't be fixed outside of a future version, hopefully X4.

As a similar example, I'm reasonably happy with Office 2010 pro, a very few bugs, and will probably use it forever.

Sonar Platinum [2017.10], Win7U x64 sp1, Xeon E5-1620 3.6 GHz, Asus P9X79WS, 16 GB ECC, 128gb SSD, HD7950, Mackie Blackjack
cityrat
Max Output Level: -77 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 671
Re: Please don't move to a subscription model 2014/10/28 21:04:56 (permalink)
Fun thread    There's a lot of interesting responses.... In reality, I think that a lot of us sorta already are supporting a "maintenance" program and pay (mostly) a yearly $$ for the new versions - usually with enough new fun stuff that it's fun for everybody (win/win).  (Note I don't mean to disparage CW as charging for fixes - that's not what I mean and why I put it in quotes).

The key to me is that it's all voluntary, and the software I own.  Yeah, I know - it's a license, bla bla - but I don't expect someone to show up at my door to revoke it.

Again, the issue I have (and I know it's not in CW and may never be even considering) - whatever you want to call it - is any software that has to be paid up every month/week/whatever to run.   I don't own Audition or anything like it and never will (pun intended).   Stuff is so good now that I wouldn't have to - I would just miss out on the fun new stuff but so be it.  But maybe I'd get more done and figure out the 50% of stuff I have not even played with.  There's always options.  I still use and enjoy a copy of Adobe Framemaker 7.1 (2003) and will never upgrade due to obscene cost.  My version of VC++ is 2008.  My AutoSketch is 2004 - I use these on a semi daily basis and have not reason to upgrade.

I'm sure CW has the best interests of the users and will not do anything to jeopardize that.  And I didn't take the survey to mean they were planning (what I call) a subscription - pay by month.   CW's use of individualized serial numbers for easy install and authorization are rare (I hate challenge response and iLok) and are part of what I respect them for - and happily pay for my version updates to support. 

Sonar Platinum | Windows 7 64 bit SP1 | Intel i5 3570 3.4GHz | 8GB RAM | Gigabyte GA-B75-D3H | OCZ SSD | RME 9632
kitekrazy1
Max Output Level: -40 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3524
Re: Please don't move to a subscription model 2014/10/28 21:14:19 (permalink)
Guitarpima

The upside, and this is the best part, is that you will far more computing power than ever before. The X-box 1 already uses this concept and the gaming is far more powerful in a cloud based system. I don't know a lot about this aspect but it seems reasonable since they said as much on a video game documentary I saw on Netflix. Also, updates will be implemented easier for the developers and probably far more consistant. Again, I'm just guessing.

Adobe, Avid and Magix have subscriptions as options.  
 Just because the people at Cakewalk put the subscription option on a survey, everyone is going all "ebola" over it. I can understand the paranoia because of Sonar now being a Gibson product and people don't trust them based on history.  (BTW those auto tuners on the new Gibsons are not well received by their fans)
  I've had subscription software before and eventually cancelled it because it seems the value eventually ends or I feel the developer isn't living up to their end.   

If anyone thinks a subscription service will not be hard on hobbyists then you and Steve Ballmer should start a think tank and the competition will love you for your bad ideas.  Using the X-box as an example, puleeze.
  The competition is not dying in the DAW market.  We've had Bitwig come out, Studio One and now MOTU's performer is also for PC.  I'm pretty sure Image Line will never make FL Studio a subscription even though your updates are for life.  I can't see it happening to Reaper either.  If Ableton decided to do it, Bitwig won't.  There's a lot of players on the field.  

scook
Forum Host
Re: When is Sonar X4 coming out 2014/10/28 21:22:41 (permalink)
Anderton
privately held corporations generally seek to minimize tax obligations

This is why I believe bundling the mp3 license was dropped from SONAR. While not a government levy it still was a cash outlay the company wanted to avoid.
skinnybones lampshade
Max Output Level: -80 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 530
Re: Please don't move to a subscription model 2014/10/28 21:26:27 (permalink)
I want to own outright any software I buy; in other words, I don't want to have to pay for it to simply allow it to continue working.

Naturally, almost any software eventually becomes obsolete because operating systems change and exclude old, unsupported versions. Paying for upgrades is not the issue; I have done that many times and will continue to do so whenever it seems warranted.

However, I would mightily resent being required to pay periodically just to maintain the status quo: For example, paying for Programme X in November, 2014 and having to stump up again by November, 2015 or have Programme X cease to function.

My two bits.

kitekrazy1
Max Output Level: -40 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3524
Re: Please don't move to a subscription model 2014/10/28 21:28:29 (permalink)
cityrat
Fun thread    There's a lot of interesting responses.... In reality, I think that a lot of us sorta already are supporting a "maintenance" program and pay (mostly) a yearly $$ for the new versions - usually with enough new fun stuff that it's fun for everybody (win/win).  (Note I don't mean to disparage CW as charging for fixes - that's not what I mean and why I put it in quotes).

The key to me is that it's all voluntary, and the software I own.  Yeah, I know - it's a license, bla bla - but I don't expect someone to show up at my door to revoke it.

Again, the issue I have (and I know it's not in CW and may never be even considering) - whatever you want to call it - is any software that has to be paid up every month/week/whatever to run.   I don't own Audition or anything like it and never will (pun intended).   Stuff is so good now that I wouldn't have to - I would just miss out on the fun new stuff but so be it.  But maybe I'd get more done and figure out the 50% of stuff I have not even played with.  There's always options.  I still use and enjoy a copy of Adobe Framemaker 7.1 (2003) and will never upgrade due to obscene cost.  My version of VC++ is 2008.  My AutoSketch is 2004 - I use these on a semi daily basis and have not reason to upgrade.

I'm sure CW has the best interests of the users and will not do anything to jeopardize that.  And I didn't take the survey to mean they were planning (what I call) a subscription - pay by month.   CW's use of individualized serial numbers for easy install and authorization are rare (I hate challenge response and iLok) and are part of what I respect them for - and happily pay for my version updates to support. 

Some of the older Adobe products are free from their website.  You can get an older version of Audition and Photoshop from them.  I wonder if their new business model of subscription base has a lot to do with losing their partnership with Apple.  
Anderton
Re: When is Sonar X4 coming out 2014/10/28 22:52:10 (permalink)
scook
Anderton
privately held corporations generally seek to minimize tax obligations

This is why I believe bundling the mp3 license was dropped from SONAR. While not a government levy it still was a cash outlay the company wanted to avoid.

Dropping a cost of doing business would increase the tax obligation if it created more profit. However, I think it's more likely Cakewalk applied the cost of the MP3 license toward more sexy/useful plug-ins.

Having every user pay a license fee for MP3 conversion made more sense when ways to convert to MP3 were less plentiful. But now every Mac and Windows machine can convert to MP3 and so can all the wave editors. I think I may even have an MP3 activation code for Sonar that's still valid...but I didn't bother activating it several updates ago, and never felt like I was missing out on anything.

YouDontHasToCallMeJohnson
Max Output Level: -76 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 703
Re: Please don't move to a subscription model 2014/10/28 23:15:02 (permalink)
You guys provide all kinds of examples that do not pertain. Given the many variations of subscriptions offered it is no wonder the young and restless jump to the end of the line and obstruct conversation by stating such examples as absolutes.

Most of us purchase a "yearly" Sonar version subscription for a renewal/upgrade price. And the software does not expire. If we purchase at the end of the cycle we get all the updates. But NO further support. (Sonar x3 has had 5 issues: a, b, c, d, e. over a period of a little over 6 months.)

I, and my clients, use software that required an initial fee, and then a support contract if desired. This software does NOT turn-in-to-a-pumpkin because the support contract has expired.

If we renew we get the updates/upgrades for the paid support period. This is more useful than a version subscription.

I am advocating CW provide support contracts for specified periods. I buy Sonar 4, and get 1 year (2 years,...) of all updates, AND upgrades. And the products do not stop working on the current OS for as long as I shall live.

This means I will get a FULL year(s) of support, not just 6 months. A better value for me. A better value for the company. Less stress on the releasing the next version for the holiday buying season (really? This works?).

Anyone should be able to purchase a subscription at anytime of the year, of whatever length offered. CW will benefit significantly. Because  potential customers know they do not have to wait for the next version to purchase/upgrade. Someone is more likely to buy Sx3 in March  (at full price: new/renewal) knowing they will get the all updates/upgrades, INSTEAD of waiting for the (probable) Fall version release. This will result in MORE revenue in March for CW.  No brainer here!  This is good for all of us.

Updates/fixes can be released as they are completed, up until the next version's release.

Less stress on everyone hitting the deadline for getting the next version out the door and then releasing 3 to 5 updates before the majority of bugs are fixed.

Less stress and more time for beta testing by beta testers,..

No need for CW dudes to spend time and money on sales and promotions,....

Everybody benefits.

-------------------------------------------

I am not a happy camper with w8, office 365,....  I hate that MS is nearly demanding MS accounts on local computers. (it is way annoying to get rid of MS account logons.)  I DO NOT allow my clients use online credentials to use their purchased computers, with their purchased software. I am amazed that no large companies have entered into billion dollar lawsuits to demonstrate privacy invasion, restriction of use, possible collection of personal and company secrets, by the insistence of the MS managers, using porn site techniques, to interfere with users setting-up and using their computers.

Anyone using an MS account to login to their purchased device is voluntarily giving ownership to the jerks at MS. They are evil.

Why has their not been a congressional investigation into these practices?

---------

Buying one magazine is not similar to purchasing a Sonar renewal. The reasonable likeness is to purchasing a year's subscription.  Which is what you do when you purchase most ALL software. These are version subscriptions.

I have a bunch of programs that I have not upgraded cuz the current version works for what I purchased it for. These programs include  a number of Sony programs that have NOT been updated. I may purchase upgrades if they provide usefulness.

CW's history has been about selling version subscriptions: get all updates until the next version is released for purchase. This has averaged about 14 months. (I think it was sonar 4 that was released in the spring, could have been s5??? and of course the 2 year wait for????)

Maurice_Pleazee
Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 60
Is it true, that cake is moving to a subcription plan? 2014/10/28 23:37:54 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby bapu 2014/11/02 19:18:51
I took the survey...
Living Room Rocker
  • Total Posts : 675
Re: Is it true, that cake is moving to a subcription plan? 2014/10/28 23:52:22 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby Andrew Rossa [Cakewalk] 2014/10/29 11:22:58
No.  It is just propaganda created by the far left.  After all, it is a mid-term election.  So, make sure you vote.

Kind regards, Living Room Rocker
dubdisciple
Max Output Level: -17 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5849
Re: Is it true, that cake is moving to a subcription plan? 2014/10/29 01:23:19 (permalink)
I heard it was the far middle and the extreme moderates!
wmb
  • Total Posts : 658
Re: Is it true, that cake is moving to a subcription plan? 2014/10/29 02:07:38 (permalink)
I also took the survey. Avid is adopting some kind of subscription model that I don't understand to receive updates for some interval in the future. Adobe has a subscription model. The facts are that these companies have to pay their bills and be profitable between releases while development is ongoing. It doesn't thrill me but I've expected it ever since Adobe started doing it.

X2 & X3c - GA-Z77X-UP5 TH mobo | i7 3770k | 16 gigs RAM | Win7/64 | Audio Drive 2TB RAID0 | Data & Backup 2TB RAID1 | OS drive 256 gig SSD | Apogee AD16x -> Tascam DM3200 -> IF-FWDM-mk2 via Apple FW to Thunderbolt adapter -
backwoods
Max Output Level: -49.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2571
Re: Is it true, that cake is moving to a subcription plan? 2014/10/29 02:30:13 (permalink)
Harrison mixbuss also has an optional subscription plan as do some VST makers
Echojester
Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 94
Re: Is it true, that cake is moving to a subcription plan? 2014/10/29 03:34:20 (permalink)
Perhaps an "option" for subscription can be a good idea,and those not concerned about the latest feature(s)will just have to pay the premium price as usual when they want the new features,but once the new version comes out the subscription people are already paid up.I can see how this may benefit both sides,aslong as there's no hard feelings towards those content were they are in any particular version. 
   Really the only reason i would leave Cakewalk is if this were implemented and the program were to lock up had i not done updates,unsubscribed or be forced to connect my workstation to the net regularly.im always hesitant of updates for any softwear for stability reasons,multiple programs ive done updates for,bugs got fixed but many times theyve come with other,more intolerable bugs than the previous,which is why i always keep copys of the last most stable downloader of all my softwear so i can always go back if nessisary.and if you must connect to the net every time,for me and i think many other will agree that would be the deal breaker,for home enthusiasts who spent a good sum of money for there computers not to be on the net everyday collecting __wear's and such,and for those who make there living this way all it would take is one day cakewalk server goes down for any reason and now there not making money that day.
  Basically as long as the currently installed version keeps working regardless of the three points i mentioned a subscription method might be useful for those new feature crazed people,like me at times :-P they would have there update new feature whatever assoon as its out not the following week when they get there check.
       tho paying for "bug fixes" i wont agree with,a product should work as advertised,if hardwear gets a warranty for possible defects in manufacturing then so should softwear to some degree to sell there customers working equipment,atleast for whats advertised.
Sanderxpander
Max Output Level: -36.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3873
Re: When is Sonar X4 coming out 2014/10/29 05:17:48 (permalink)
I know we're getting a little off topic here, but honestly I'd use the MP3 integration a lot more if it were any better. There's this weird issue with reported song length, and though I tried following instructions found here, I've never been able to update the outdated algorithm Cakewalk supplies. Even at ten bucks, I feel mildly cheated.
Anderton
Re: When is Sonar X4 coming out 2014/10/29 09:29:23 (permalink)
Sanderxpander
I know we're getting a little off topic here, but honestly I'd use the MP3 integration a lot more if it were any better. There's this weird issue with reported song length, and though I tried following instructions found here, I've never been able to update the outdated algorithm Cakewalk supplies. Even at ten bucks, I feel mildly cheated.

Have you contacted suppport? Not sure what you mean by "weird issue with reported song length," and are you sure the algorithm is outdated and that something new and better is available with the same licensing fee?

Anderton
Re: Is it true, that cake is moving to a subcription plan? 2014/10/29 09:33:26 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby bapu 2014/11/02 19:19:56
Did the survey offer some kind of incentive for people to start threads speculating about "subscription" plans?

scook
Forum Host
Re: When is Sonar X4 coming out 2014/10/29 09:57:07 (permalink)
The version of LAME used in the Cakewalk encoder (v 3.97) does not accurately report song length when using VBR. Newer versions of LAME have addressed this issue. Not sure what bugs are in the later versions. I have not contacted support about an updated version of the TTSlame.dll.
Bristol_Jonesey
  • Total Posts : 16775
Re: Is it true, that cake is moving to a subcription plan? 2014/10/29 10:03:57 (permalink)
What survey????

CbB, Platinum, 64 bit throughout
Custom built i7 3930, 32Gb RAM, 2 x 1Tb Internal HDD, 1 x 1TB system SSD (Win 7), 1 x 500Gb system SSD (Win 10), 2 x 1Tb External HDD's, Dual boot Win 7 & Win 10 64 Bit, Saffire Pro 26, ISA One, Adam P11A,
Andrew Rossa
Max Output Level: -56 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1910
Re: Is it true, that cake is moving to a subcription plan? 2014/10/29 11:33:37 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby bapu 2014/11/02 19:20:26
Anderton
Did the survey offer some kind of incentive for people to start threads speculating about "subscription" plans?

I was wondering that myself. No one has started speculating that since we had a question about rollback, that maybe you'll be able to rollback to Cakewalk DOS with X4. I say we start that rumor. 
Andrew Rossa
Max Output Level: -56 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1910
Re: When is Sonar X4 coming out 2014/10/29 11:36:27 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby Skyline_UK 2014/10/31 16:49:53
scook
My comment was directed at the observation that Gibson Brands was privately held. I don't understand the distinction between public and private companies in this case. It would appear that you don't either.

Actually, I think you do understand the distinction. I just think it's irrelevant :)

This survey wasn't about a bunch of bean counters trying to maximize profits. It's about us understanding how customers use our software and other products in the market place. Pure market research. And the goal is to help improve SONAR and also make the experience better for customers. 
dubdisciple
Re: Is it true, that cake is moving to a subcription plan? 2014/10/29 11:55:19 (permalink)
Maybe cakewalk should move to a prescription plan?
dubdisciple
Re: Is it true, that cake is moving to a subcription plan? 2014/10/29 11:59:37 (permalink)
Maybe also throw in random bizarre questions like "How do you feel about squirrel euthanasia? " and see if it spurs threads on whether X4 includes a "die now rodent!" Vst
Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 4 of 15
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1