LockedUpgrade to SONAR 8 to Receive a Free Update

Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 2 of 8
Author
CakeMaker
Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 469
RE: Upgrade to SONAR 8 to Receive a Free Update 2009/07/02 23:41:38 (permalink)
Marah: Your right........... There is NO way

Dr.Mac: You are right too- it will likely be a .5 cuz how could they in this day and age??? and as I said there is no way to make everyone happy all the time... No matter what there are folks that will fall outside the time frame and be totally pissed off... It a weird thing with software cuz folks purchase with money, but then they invest their time / effort - which is much more important ...... so- it makes folks feel more invested. I'm sure they understand that- as I've talked to a few of the tech folks but there is just no way to make it happen for EVERYONE.... There just isn't, and some folks will be left out............

by the by pls check this:
http://www.hulu.com/watch/62945/before-the-music-dies

If u are even remotely involved in audio / music in general this is a must - see......

Happy fourth everyone
c/m
Sickvision
Max Output Level: -74 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 841
RE: Upgrade to SONAR 8 to Receive a Free Update 2009/07/02 23:45:00 (permalink)
i cant believe it ,iv upgraded from the music creator .sonar 7 sonar 7 xl payed for boost .session drummer .studio instraments all one at a time like a fool and more ,eset eset eset and now if i waited i dam month i could have .sonar 8 pro iv been saving for the upgrade from sonar 8 that ill never have enough money for and now your giving it away
please tell me im eligable for the free upgrade i really need it. i live in boston ill take the train to summer street to get it in 10 feet of snow walk barefoot and naked threw downtown crossing iv just built anew quad computer that sank my bank account
i love sonar.bot when i saw that it blew me away.
ill sit here and pray for a upgrade ,,;please help

SONARX1-64 WIN 7-64 DELTA-1010lt 
ASUS990 6 core with delta
2ssd drives 16 gigs RAM
BX5a monitorsYAMAHA 4416

http://soundcloud.com/american-metal/high-on-the-wire-pre
yorolpal
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 13829
RE: Upgrade to SONAR 8 to Receive a Free Update 2009/07/02 23:51:17 (permalink)
In marketing days of yore this type thing was called sending up a "trial balloon". Looks like this one is made of lead.

https://soundcloud.com/doghouse-riley/tracks 
https://doghouseriley1.bandcamp.com 
Where you come from is gone...where you thought you were goin to weren't never there...and where you are ain't no good unless you can get away from it.

SPLAT 64 bit running on a Studio Cat Pro System Win 10 64bit 2.8ghz Core i7 with 24 gigs ram. MOTU Audio Express.
scottfa
Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 453
RE: Upgrade to SONAR 8 to Receive a Free Update 2009/07/03 00:25:24 (permalink)
With the 6 month time window I suspect that Cakewalk is NOT going to release a Sonar 9 this year and that the new Sonar will have to wait for Win 7 to become official and maybe even wait for the inevitable Service Pack 1 for Win 7.
I pre ordered Win 7 and it is supposed to arrive in October, so waiting until March 2010 should give Cakewalk plenty of time to make sure it works on that OS.

Intel I7 2600K (OCed to 4.0)
Gigabyte Ga-Z68X-UD3H-B3
16G Corsair 1600  Memory 4 sticks
1 SSD, 1WD 650 SATA and 1 Samsung 1G SATA    
Steinberg MR816X 
Mackie R800 Adat to the Steinberg
Windows 10 64 bit     
Sonar Platinum Lifetime
UAD-2  Solo
Susan G
  • Total Posts : 12016
RE: Upgrade to SONAR 8 to Receive a Free Update 2009/07/03 03:10:43 (permalink)
Has anyone tried calling Customer Service for a clarification?

Mon-Fri 9am-8pm EST: 888.CAKEWALK or 617.423.9004

[I won't have a working phone again until Tue, otherwise I'd call them myself.]

-Susan

2.30 gigahertz Intel Core i7-3610QM; 16 GB RAM
Windows 10 x64; NI Komplete Audio 6.
SONAR Platinum (Lexington) x64
jackn2mpu
Max Output Level: -47.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2765
RE: Upgrade to SONAR 8 to Receive a Free Update 2009/07/03 07:15:04 (permalink)
Being charged for a point update - as I seem to remember didn't Cake charge for the update/upgrade/whatever you want to call it to Project 5 when it went from 2.0 to 2.5? A couple of years later and look at what happened to THAT product - no longer available for sale aka it is an ex-program, it is pushing up the daisies (and more Monty Python-isms).

Of course this could all be push-back against Propellerhead's Record.

Jack
Qapla!
Teksonik
Max Output Level: -80 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 521
RE: Upgrade to SONAR 8 to Receive a Free Update 2009/07/03 08:06:53 (permalink)
Actually I wasn't asking for speculation but a simple answer from a Cakewalk rep. Since they can start a thread I assume they can respond as well.

So Cakewalk is going to start charging for point updates? So if you already own Sonar 8 PE then you'll be asked to pay for 8.5? Again I'm interested in Cakewalk's official answer.

CJaysMusic
  • Total Posts : 30423
RE: Upgrade to SONAR 8 to Receive a Free Update 2009/07/03 08:32:09 (permalink)
i cant believe it ,iv upgraded from the music creator .sonar 7 sonar 7 xl payed for boost .session drummer .studio instraments all one at a time like a fool and more ,eset eset eset and now if i waited i dam month i could have .sonar 8 pro iv been saving for the upgrade from sonar 8 that ill never have enough money for and now your giving it away

It says if you buy or upgrade to sonar 8 after july 1st, you are eligible for the free update/upgrade to 8.5 or 9 or what ever it is. Im reading you quote here and why are you a fool?? You did get what you paid for, yes!! Keep saving up for sonar 8 and youll be eligible for the next free what ever it is
Cj

www.audio-mastering-mixing.com - A Professional Worldwide Audio Mixing & Mastering Studio, Providing Online And Attended Sessions. We also do TV commercials, Radio spots & spoken word books
Audio Blog
UnderTow
Max Output Level: -37 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3848
RE: Upgrade to SONAR 8 to Receive a Free Update 2009/07/03 12:18:26 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Marah

The offer is for a download version. There's virtually no way that a major new version of Sonar is going to be all that small. Not that multiple gigs can't be downloaded, but realistically....?

The Pro Tools LE 8 upgrade is a 3.5 GB download. The page comes with the following warning: "Note: Files are large and will typically require 1.5 hours or more to download on broadband connections."

But are Cakewalk living in 2009 network and distribution wise? Dawg.

UnderTow
RodC
Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 302
RE: Upgrade to SONAR 8 to Receive a Free Update 2009/07/03 13:38:10 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Thatsastrat

I did not purchase in June. I purchased on July 1st. Should I complain that I can not get the free Power Book or the free DVD. All June purchases got the "free" materials as stated in the offer. You persons that bought that at some point must have been happy with that purchase or you would not have spent your hard earned cash. Don't get me wrong I would have liked to had the Power Book and DVD, but I had to wait till the cash was there. I hope some one from Cakewalk will give an answer as to what they mean by next paid update. Sonar 9?. Thats what I am expecting for my cash.

If you were told that cake would "never" offer the Power book for free, and you made your decision as when to do your update based on that fact, yes you should complain.

Bottom line, cake keeps flipping back and forth with this policy, and the last round they said this would not happen again.

Why is this so hard to understand? Your standing in line, the guy behind the counter says "We will sell no more cookies... " The next guy in line buys a cookie.... would you be upset??

http://www.beyondsanityproductions.com/

'sorta like a peace rally fist fight'

SPE X1c  MOTU 24 i/o,  AMD Phenom II X6 3.3 GHz 8G RAM, SSD OS HD
glazfolk
Max Output Level: -22.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5253
RE: Upgrade to SONAR 8 to Receive a Free Update 2009/07/03 17:47:59 (permalink)

If Sonar 9 was going to to be what new upgraders got, they wouldn't have gone so out of their way to repeatedly and awkwardly refer to the "next paid" version. They would have just said Sonar 9. Not the two are necessarily exclusive, but think about it for a sec.

The offer extends for over 6 months. There's no way they're gonna give away their next major release, for free, for half a year.

The offer is for a download version. There's virtually no way that a major new version of Sonar is going to be all that small.

Marah,

I fear that you are right, but I hope you are not. If you are correct in what you say, I would say it is a shame if Cakewalk are now (very uncharacteristically) resorting to using at worst deceptive and misleading language and at best ambiguous marketing tactics. Not everyone will be able to read between the lines like you have.

I would say it would be better all round if they would come out and say exactly what is on offer here. A major new version like Sonar 9, or a minor upgrade like 8.5? I notice the OP says "feature rich upgrade" but this taken literally doesn't necessarily mean that the "rich" features" need be new features.

It would be best if they spell it out.
thomasabarnes
Max Output Level: -43 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3234
RE: Upgrade to SONAR 8 to Receive a Free Update 2009/07/03 22:20:04 (permalink)
Maybe this offer is a free update for all SONAR 8 users.

It may be that the annoucement is Cakewalk's way of letting people know (who don't yet have SONAR 8) there is gonna be another update. That way, people who haven't bought SONAR 8 yet (because they feel there are still some bugs or issues that haven't been addressed yet) can have some expectation that there's gonna be another update in which more bugs/issues will be addressed.

In other words, the announcement (of a free update for those who buy after July 1) doesn't mean that those who already have SONAR 8 will have to pay for the same update. It may also be a free update for us who already have SONAR 8, as that is the case, usually.
post edited by thomasabarnes - 2009/07/04 00:01:10

"It's not a song till it touches your heart. It's not a song till it tears you apart!" Lyrics of Amy Grant.

SONAR Platinum X64 (jBridge), Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit, Core i7 990X Extreme Edition Processor 3.46 GHz 6 Cores, Gigabyte EX58-UD5, Crucial Ballistix 24GB 1333MHz DDR3 @1333 MHz, TASCAM UH-7000, Behringer X-Touch, EVGA GTX 980TI Superclocked 6GB, 1TB Samsung EVO 850 SSD, 150GB, 320GB, 1TB 7200rpm HDDs
Marah
Max Output Level: -71 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 975
RE: Upgrade to SONAR 8 to Receive a Free Update 2009/07/03 23:56:36 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: glazfolk

I notice the OP says "feature rich upgrade" but this taken literally doesn't necessarily mean that the "rich" features" need be new features.

Gee and I thought I was cynical!

Thing to factor in here is that CW has a substantial plugin technology base (Sonitus, rgc.) That, combined with Roland's plugin-friendly technology (V-Vocal, GrooveSynth, etc) and the ability to do co-brand arrangements (NI, Kjaerhus) will allow them to make "feature rich" upgrades relatively easy for some time. And the existing Sonar user base has generally welcomed plugin-focused annual upgrades.

None of that requires substantive changes to the core work environment. In fairness, Sonar 8 did feature audio engine improvements, but that's a "feature" of a more abstract variety, as would be many of the enhancements that would make Sonar a more fluid environment.

The question is, what about those users who, when they think about and hope for "new features," think about stuff like a play rate control, envelope lanes, modern toolbar/keyboard customization and no-programming-required macros, flexible plugin, color, and project management, and other stuff I won't bother mentioning?

(key bindable clip envelopes)

John
Forum Host
  • Total Posts : 30467
RE: Upgrade to SONAR 8 to Receive a Free Update 2009/07/04 01:30:21 (permalink)
Upgrade and update are in CW speak two different things. Thomasabarnes may be on to something.

Best
John
thomasabarnes
RE: Upgrade to SONAR 8 to Receive a Free Update 2009/07/04 01:56:15 (permalink)
John, I would hope all us users that purchased SONAR 8 get a free update, but it's still confusing since paid free update is written on the advertisement.

And it really makes me wonder if we who purchased SONAR 8 before July 1st will have to pay for any 8.x.x update because after all this time no one from Cakewalk has come out to clarify what does paid update mean.

"It's not a song till it touches your heart. It's not a song till it tears you apart!" Lyrics of Amy Grant.

SONAR Platinum X64 (jBridge), Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit, Core i7 990X Extreme Edition Processor 3.46 GHz 6 Cores, Gigabyte EX58-UD5, Crucial Ballistix 24GB 1333MHz DDR3 @1333 MHz, TASCAM UH-7000, Behringer X-Touch, EVGA GTX 980TI Superclocked 6GB, 1TB Samsung EVO 850 SSD, 150GB, 320GB, 1TB 7200rpm HDDs
Cakreshvara
Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 61
RE: Upgrade to SONAR 8 to Receive a Free Update 2009/07/04 02:15:52 (permalink)
I am feeling some problem that the Cakewalk is letting customers (members,family) flounder in the darkness of definitions, not knowing what they are saying.

Mighty Shiva forbid, but if I were humble running forum, I would as administrator quickly clarify questions to loyal users and paying customers. If you can tell in simple English, I can understand through the confusion. (Urdu or Hindi better. Then I will understand all things you are telling)

I am hoping that it is not my luck again that all my threads move themselves to some other lost place.

-Cakreshvara
glazfolk
Max Output Level: -22.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5253
RE: Upgrade to SONAR 8 to Receive a Free Update 2009/07/04 02:17:17 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: thomasabarnes

John, I would hope all us users that purchased SONAR 8 get a free update, but it's still confusing since paid free update is written on the advertisement.

And it really makes me wonder if we who purchased SONAR 8 before July 1st will have to pay for any 8.x.x update because after all this time no one from Cakewalk has come out to clarify what does paid update mean.

... which is why, having made the original announcement of their own volition, Cakewalk really do have an obligation now to spell out exactly what this all means.
Marah
RE: Upgrade to SONAR 8 to Receive a Free Update 2009/07/04 02:31:35 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: John

Upgrade and update are in CW speak two different things.

But if they mean two different things in CW speak (and in general software speak), why are they using them interchangeably? Whether accidental or intentional, that's one source of the confusion.

Thomasabarnes may be on to something.

Oh I agree, and posted yesterday that: "The offer says that if you upgrade now, you get the "next paid" for free, but it does NOT say that if you upgraded before the offer, you won't. It's only implied... just as it's implied that they're talking about an actual "Sonar 9."

This offer could just be the standard grace period offered to late-cycle upgraders (in which case an understandable cutoff has to be drawn somewhere for those who upgraded earlier.) But too conspire to suggest otherwise, including the fact that they do not refer to a specific version number, and how the offer expires in March 2010, which is not only a long way off, but is also way beyond the typical/expected time for a regular "full-point" upgrade, i.e., what we might think of as 'Sonar 9'.

Nothing proves anything. But speculation is free, and fun. And I just don't think that this offer is referring to a full-point-upgrade's worth of "newness" even if they were to end up calling it Sonar 9. If I'm wrong, I'm wrong.

Marah
RE: Upgrade to SONAR 8 to Receive a Free Update 2009/07/04 02:44:49 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: glazfolk

ORIGINAL: thomasabarnes

... which is why, having made the original announcement of their own volition, Cakewalk really do have an obligation now to spell out exactly what this all means.

I'd be surprised if pre-July 1 upgraders do NOT get the same update/upgrade on essentially the same terms as post-July buyers. Were that to happen they'd be penalizing their most dedicated customers. And while CW are (obviouly) capable of putting out less than brilliant email offers, I don't think they're stupid.

Hmmm.... did people who had already upgraded to Sonar 8 get this offer? John, did you? Just curious.
keith
Max Output Level: -36.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3882
RE: Upgrade to SONAR 8 to Receive a Free Update 2009/07/04 02:47:38 (permalink)

But if they mean two different things in CW speak (and in general software speak), why are they using them interchangeably?

Now you're just making stuff up. Quote for me the line or lines where "update" and "upgrade" are used interchangeably. It doesn't exist.
Marah
RE: Upgrade to SONAR 8 to Receive a Free Update 2009/07/04 03:10:06 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: keith

But if they mean two different things in CW speak (and in general software speak), why are they using them interchangeably?

Now you're just making stuff up. Quote for me the line or lines where "update" and "upgrade" are used interchangeably. It doesn't exist.

Why would I make stuff up? Did you get the email offer? Take a look at it. Didn't get it? Then take a look at this. (Sorry, you'll just have to take my word that this is not a Photoshop job.) Please note that nowhere have I said this was intentional on CW's part, and that the language appears to be more consistent in all the other material (links) about the offer. But the first two sentences of the emailed offer set up the confusion (though other legitimate questions are raised by the offer.)

PS. Anyone ever tell you that you look at lot like John?

John
Forum Host
  • Total Posts : 30467
RE: Upgrade to SONAR 8 to Receive a Free Update 2009/07/04 03:19:42 (permalink)
I don't know what any of it means. I do know that I am seemingly not alone. Marketing has done it again in causing more speculation by a few simple words not said. We, the forum members, stand perplexed.

Best
John
Marah
RE: Upgrade to SONAR 8 to Receive a Free Update 2009/07/04 03:35:01 (permalink)
John, did you get the offer in the mail? I'm wondering if it was sent out only to those who had not already upgraded to 8?

Don't you agree that -- unless this is a late-cycle grace-period kind of thing (which it doesn't seem to me, IMV) -- it's most unlikely that pre-July upgraders will not get essentially (if not exactly) the same offer and terms as post-July upgraders? And that it would be a huge blunder if there was a real difference? And so that's unlikely to be the case in end?
keith
Max Output Level: -36.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3882
RE: Upgrade to SONAR 8 to Receive a Free Update 2009/07/04 03:37:02 (permalink)
Why would I make stuff up? Did you get the email offer?

No matter what I do cakewalk will not send me emails (they used to... but I must be in the doghouse... was it something I said?).

So it's just the email that's effed up then. Two out of three isn't bad, I guess.
post edited by keith - 2009/07/04 03:48:56
thomasabarnes
RE: Upgrade to SONAR 8 to Receive a Free Update 2009/07/04 04:11:54 (permalink)

...did you get the offer in the mail? I'm wondering if it was sent out only to those who had not already upgraded to 8?

I got a recent email from Cakewlak titled "SONAR 8 Users: Expand Your Sounds With New Downloads," but I didn't get the free paid update email.

Sometimes I don't get some emails from Cakewalk that others have reported they have gotton, so not getting this email really doesn't clear up any confusion that the words the "free paid update" causes for me.

It's really simple to clear up any confusion. A Cakewalk representative could just make a post here to clarify this deal for us.

i8ipop
Max Output Level: -79 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 568
RE: Upgrade to SONAR 8 to Receive a Free Update 2009/07/04 04:44:54 (permalink)
I have a suspicion that those words were carefully chosen and they lead me to believe there may be a Sonar 8.5 paid update coming which will be a minor upgrade to Sonar 8 (maybe with the full version of Rapture), but not a full upgrade to Sonar 9 with significant new features.

yep, that's the meaning I took from it!

Still raining...still dreaming!
Susan G
  • Total Posts : 12016
RE: Upgrade to SONAR 8 to Receive a Free Update 2009/07/04 15:40:06 (permalink)
I didn't get an e-mail, but then again I haven't gotten an e-mail from CW in many months, even though I "should" be on their list, since I've been a customer forever and always opted in when asked. This has been a long-standing problem for me and others, but I don't even really think about it any longer. I don't think it means anything if you did or didn't receive an e-mail; it's certainly not based on what you currently own. That would be *way* too sophisticated for them to handle!

-Susan

2.30 gigahertz Intel Core i7-3610QM; 16 GB RAM
Windows 10 x64; NI Komplete Audio 6.
SONAR Platinum (Lexington) x64
djjhart@aol.com
Max Output Level: -53.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2189
RE: Upgrade to SONAR 8 to Receive a Free Update 2009/07/04 16:02:05 (permalink)
Starting July 1st, 2009, when you upgrade to SONAR 8 Studio or SONAR 8 Producer at Cakewalk.com or select music and sound retailers, you will be eligible to download the next paid update to SONAR for free.

WHAT CRAP> so if you been with cakewalk for years and when the new update comes out the person that waited gets a free updates, the customer that is loyal and updates when the updates comes out has to pay full price... PLEASE tell me I am wrong and this is a typo.. If not your company will loss loyal customers and thats just plain F'ed UP...
Stone House Studios
Max Output Level: -40 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3550
RE: Upgrade to SONAR 8 to Receive a Free Update 2009/07/04 16:30:18 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: djjhart@aol.com

Starting July 1st, 2009, when you upgrade to SONAR 8 Studio or SONAR 8 Producer at Cakewalk.com or select music and sound retailers, you will be eligible to download the next paid update to SONAR for free.

WHAT CRAP> so if you been with cakewalk for years and when the new update comes out the person that waited gets a free updates, the customer that is loyal and updates when the updates comes out has to pay full price... PLEASE tell me I am wrong and this is a typo.. If not your company will loss loyal customers and thats just plain F'ed UP...

Get a grip, man.
Did you get your last upgrade at "some specially priced offer?"
If you didn't, shame on you. Cakewalk has always made special upgrade offers that are money off, or come with a book, or a t-shirt, or a cheap buy in to Dim Pro, etc, etc. The value seems to be about $50.00. So what makes you think that this offer will have any more value than that.
Go ahead and argue that the "Buy X and get X+1" deal proves me wrong. Think about it. That's a win win for Cake - old inventory goes away - new inventory has just been purchased. Usually at about a $50.00 dollar break.

Brian

Core i7-6700@3.40Ghz  Windows 10x64 16 GB RAM
Sonar Platinum/Studio One     PreSonus Studio 192
Twitch
Max Output Level: -83 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 372
RE: Upgrade to SONAR 8 to Receive a Free Update 2009/07/04 16:41:00 (permalink)
I thiink it means what it did last year.. a Free upgrade to Sonar 9 or like Dr. Mac says 8.5.. I think we all read to deep into this.. I saved my emails from last year and even though its a little bit earlier for this, it still has the same concept and wording... Just save $99 or $129 and reserve your copy today.. For those that just bought S8.. Shish you better make a road trip to Boston cuz I would be begging about the next featured rich upgrade.. All in all we know Cake is not going to spit anything at us, so we must do what we HATE the most.. Which is sit and wait patiently..,

http://www.listenupstudio.com/
Motu BPM, Cakewalk, Roland MV8000 (8800)

Music is a moral law,
it gives wings to the mind,
a soul to the universe,
flight to the imagination,
a charm to sadness,
a life to everything
Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 2 of 8
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1