Varispeed

Page: < 1234 > Showing page 3 of 4
Author
papa2004
Max Output Level: -10.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 6475
RE: Varispeed 2008/12/04 17:51:08 (permalink)
You have just confused any user who has never worked with audio tapes...

Regards,
Papa
RockStringBender
Max Output Level: -82 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 416
RE: Varispeed 2008/12/04 18:36:21 (permalink)
Hey CW, just go ahead and make this a plugin. No sense in making us do all the dubbs and such after you figure out the algo. The next big thing should be multi-layer SW that reproduces (not emulates) what our hears want to hear. Be the leader. Come on, if it was the cure for AIDS you could get it done in 6 months. Spend the R&D and make this a commodity too.

Thanks in advance,

RSB

I wish my lawn was emo..... then it would cut itself.
RockStringBender
RE: Varispeed 2008/12/04 19:35:17 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: papa2004

That's the peak (and each side) of the blade. If anyone reading this has never pulled an 8-Track tape out of a snaggled tracker and re-loaded the **** (recovering all the work to date) cannot relate to the dude trippin and tokin who came up with flanging. Who came up with variable tape speed effects. Who figured out that saturation was "a good thing". Who came up with track bouncing if ya wanna go back far enough.

The gift of this thread is to open the engineer's mind up to history and the possibilities out there. Crawl in deep enough (and yes, if you like to alter your current state from time to time go for it) and you start looking for something beyond what everyone else is doing on EQ or compression and find your own balls.

I'm just sayin.............

pianodano
Max Output Level: -67 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1160
RE: Varispeed 2008/12/04 19:50:35 (permalink)
Have Sonar chase a tape recorder and varispeed the recorder. You might not like the results but you'll be amazed.

Danny
post edited by pianodano - 2008/12/04 20:04:52

Best,

Danny

Core I7, win XP pro, 3 gig ram, 3 drives- Lynx Aurora firewire- Roll around 27 inch monitor, 42 inch console monitor- Motif xs controller - Networked P4's and FX Teleport for samples- Muse Receptor VIA Uniwire for samples and plugs- UAD QUAD Neve - UAD 1- Sonar X1 but favor 8.5 GUI - Toft ATB 32 - Vintage hardware - Tascam MS-16 synched via Timeline Microlynx -Toft ATB32 console
pianodano
RE: Varispeed 2008/12/04 20:01:31 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: RockStringBender

That's the peak (and each side) of the blade. If anyone reading this has never pulled an 8-Track tape out of a snaggled tracker and re-loaded the **** (recovering all the work to date) cannot relate to the dude trippin and tokin who came up with flanging.

I always thought it happened at Abbey Road, but I could be wrong.

Who came up with variable tape speed effects.

It was done orginally to add slapback (tape) delay by using a 2nd machine recording and simultaneously playing back from it's repro head the recording from the 1st machine and varying the speed until the delay was suitable. The first I ever heard of it done was at the famous studio that Elvis worked in, Sun Records.

Who figured out that saturation was "a good thing".

Anybody can hear that sounds better on a good machine.

Who came up with track bouncing if ya wanna go back far enough.

Les Paul in conjunction with Ampex worked that out I imagine.

The gift of this thread is to open the engineer's mind up to history and the possibilities out there. Crawl in deep enough (and yes, if you like to alter your current state from time to time go for it) and you start looking for something beyond what everyone else is doing on EQ or compression and find your own balls.

post edited by pianodano - 2008/12/04 20:03:30

Best,

Danny

Core I7, win XP pro, 3 gig ram, 3 drives- Lynx Aurora firewire- Roll around 27 inch monitor, 42 inch console monitor- Motif xs controller - Networked P4's and FX Teleport for samples- Muse Receptor VIA Uniwire for samples and plugs- UAD QUAD Neve - UAD 1- Sonar X1 but favor 8.5 GUI - Toft ATB 32 - Vintage hardware - Tascam MS-16 synched via Timeline Microlynx -Toft ATB32 console
montezuma
Max Output Level: -50 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2520
RE: Varispeed 2008/12/04 20:20:32 (permalink)
The satire is delicious
RockStringBender
RE: Varispeed 2008/12/04 20:44:59 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: pianodano

ORIGINAL: RockStringBender

I always thought it happened at Abbey Road, but I could be wrong.

What, the trippin or the mashed tape (4 track production.... just sayin)

krizrox
Max Output Level: -35 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4046
RE: Varispeed 2008/12/04 20:50:54 (permalink)

My response won't help you unless you have Samplitude Pro or are willing to buy it (or know someone who already has it) but this type of thing is as simple as can be in SamPro.

That doesn't really address the issue of having (or not having) a vari-speed option in SONAR, does it? If your recommendation is a viable option I'm more than willing to try it...If there's a demo available I will download it...If it really reacts to variable speed options (as an analog tape deck woud) I will gladly purchase the product...

[EDIT]: You people just don't get it...This isn't a plugin issue...It's a transport issue that existed in analog studios for years...I don't want to treat a track with a plugin...I want the option to change transport speeds...Why is this so difficult to understand?

I believe Magix provides a downloadable demo version of Samplitude but unknown if the test version has all the features of the full-blown program or not. Try it and see. Since Sonar doesn't support such a feature, and it seems unlikely that such a feature will end up in Sonar this year, or even next year, other options such as SamP or Reaper or whatever appear to be your only option for the forseeable future. Samplitudes Elastic Audio function isn't the same as a simple knob you twist while the multi-track arangement is playing in real time though. I remember an old version of a program called TripleDAT (Creamware's original recording program) had something like that but I have never seen anything like it in any other DAW. If Reaper does that (and it's automate-able) then that would seem like the best solution (even better than Samplitudes Elastic Audio feature which only works on a single stereo clip). If you wanted to vari-speed a bunch of trax in Samplitude, I think you would have to bounce them to a single stereo track first. If you're desperate for Sonar to incorporate such a feature then submit a feature request. I'm sure if enough people request it they'll listen.

And btw - this type of variable-speed thing we're talking about had limits even in analog tape studios. Many tape decks have some form of pitch control but being able to slow the tape down to nothingness is the result of some sort external control that took some work or experimentation to set up.
post edited by krizrox - 2008/12/04 21:02:31

Larry Kriz
www.LnLRecording.com
www.myspace.com/lnlrecording

Sonar PE 8.5, Samplitude Pro 11, Sonic Core Scope Professional/XTC, A16 Ultra AD/DA, Intel DG965RY MOBO, Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 2.4GHz processor, XFX GeForce 7300 GT PCIe video card, Barracuda 750 & 320GB SATA drives, 4GB DDR Ram, Plextor DVD/CD-R burner.
mixmkr
Max Output Level: -43.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3169
RE: Varispeed 2008/12/04 21:00:57 (permalink)
one thing that's been overlooked, in varispeed, that changes vibrato and tremelo rates, whereas pitchshifting does not.

some tunes: --->        www.masonharwoodproject.bandcamp.com 
StudioCat i7 4770k 3.5gHz, 16 RAM,  Sonar Platinum, CD Arch 5.2, Steinberg UR-44
videos--->https://www.youtube.com/user/mixmkr

acidrock
Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 213
RE: Varispeed 2008/12/04 22:02:20 (permalink)
I'm currently on 6PE with no plans on upgrading anytime soon,but if varispeed was a feature in a new version I wouldn't hesitate to upgrade.

I just finished reading a book on the Beatles recording sessions and I had been pondering how to do this in SONAR.

Back when I was learning to play guitar I would slow/speed up records on my turntable till I was in tune with them.
montezuma
Max Output Level: -50 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2520
RE: Varispeed 2008/12/04 22:59:55 (permalink)
What book was it you read?
DaneStewart
Max Output Level: -76 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 717
RE: Varispeed 2008/12/04 23:51:33 (permalink)
Does LOGIC do VariSpeed?
My buddy's got Logic...maybe I could use his rig for a while.

Anyone know?

To thine own self be true. ~TheDane
papa2004
RE: Varispeed 2008/12/05 01:54:19 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: krizrox

If Reaper does that (and it's automate-able) then that would seem like the best solution (even better than Samplitudes Elastic Audio feature which only works on a single stereo clip).

Automation of the variable-speed function isn't relevant to the desired effect...

If you wanted to vari-speed a bunch of trax in Samplitude, I think you would have to bounce them to a single stereo track first. If you're desperate for Sonar to incorporate such a feature then submit a feature request. I'm sure if enough people request it they'll listen.

1) Bouncing to tracks for use in another program doesn't equate to recording at a slightly altered speed (while hearing the other tracks being reproduced at the same slightly altered speed)...

2) Many users have expressed a desire for the vari-speed feature. I know that I (and several others) have been submitting it as a "feature request" for several years...

And btw - this type of variable-speed thing we're talking about had limits even in analog tape studios. Many tape decks have some form of pitch control but being able to slow the tape down to nothingness is the result of some sort external control that took some work or experimentation to set up.

I don't believe anyone has suggested that the vari-speed option should offer a "slow the tape down to nothingness" feature...Those of us who have used a variety of analog tape decks (in my case Studer, Scully, Ampex, 3M, Otari, MCI) are well aware of the + or - percentages that we could use with the (somewhat erroneously mislabeled) "pitch control" knob on the deck...

WHAT I WOULD LIKE TO BE ABLE TO DO:

1) Record a few BGV tracks in real time...

2) Slow down the record/playback by a certain percentage and overdub additional BGV tracks. Because I'm hearing a slower playback (with the resulting "pitch" changes) I'm also hearing the vibrato & breath patterns of the original tracks. Timing isn't a concern because the newly recorded audio was done in sync with the rest of the slowed down tracks...

3) When I playback the recording at "normal" speed, the overdubbed BGV's have a slightly different timbre (while retaining the proper vibrato & breath phrasing)...
- - - - - - - - - - - - -

Does anyone understand this concept?

Regards,
Papa
altima_boy_2001
Max Output Level: -55 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2033
RE: Varispeed 2008/12/05 02:30:43 (permalink)

2) Slow down the record/playback by a certain percentage and overdub additional BGV tracks. Because I'm hearing a slower playback (with the resulting "pitch" changes) I'm also hearing the vibrato & breath patterns of the original tracks. Timing isn't a concern because the newly recorded audio was done in sync with the rest of the slowed down tracks...

3) When I playback the recording at "normal" speed, the overdubbed BGV's have a slightly different timbre (while retaining the proper vibrato & breath phrasing)...

I'd use the RXP player in Sonar to do this. The results aren't immediate, but can be created in Sonar.

Recording:

• After step 1, bounce the master to a clip.
  • Insert a new RXP player instance with audio and midi tracks.
  • Load the bounced master clip into RXP.
  • Create a single, very long midi note to trigger the RXP player.
  • Mute/archive all other tracks.
  • Change the tune (fine) or transpose (coarse) in RXP.
  • Record your new vocals against the RXP playback (which is slowed down).

Playback:

• Add new RXP instances and associated audio and midi tracks and create the necessary midi notes to trigger them (should be able to just copy/paste from the other RXP clip).
  • Load up the newly recorded slow vocals in the RXP instances.
  • Change the tune/transpose in RXP to be the opposite of what you used to record them.
  • Mute/archive the RXP instance created for recording
  • Un-mute/un-archive all the original tracks

Everything should be sync-ed up and be on pitch so add FX and mix as needed. If you want to get rid of all the RXP stuff then just bounce the outputs to tracks.

You can use me as your eSoundz referral (altima_boy_2001).
papa2004
RE: Varispeed 2008/12/05 02:54:22 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: altima_boy_2001

I'd use the RXP player in Sonar to do this. The results aren't immediate, but can be created in Sonar.

Recording:

Playback:

• Add new RXP instances and associated audio and midi tracks and create the necessary midi notes to trigger them (should be able to just copy/paste from the other RXP clip).
  • Change the tune/transpose in RXP to be the opposite of what you used to record them.

Everything should be sync-ed up and be on pitch so add FX and mix as needed. If you want to get rid of all the RXP stuff then just bounce the outputs to tracks.

Mute/un-mute/archive/load...ARRGGH! Not the same as a vari-speed option...I really think nobody responding (and I do appreciate the suggestions) understands exactly what I'm talking about...

Regards,
Papa
altima_boy_2001
Max Output Level: -55 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2033
RE: Varispeed 2008/12/05 03:38:02 (permalink)
Yes, we want the world and we want it now...

Cakewalk wrote the RXP player so they already have the code to tune/transpose clips on-the-fly by adjusting clip playback speed as you are asking. There are other considerations that are preventing the implementation I would suspect.

Kind of a detail question: how would Sonar store the clips that are recorded when VSO is enabled? If they store it at the project sample rate (say 44.1 kHz) then the clip would play back slow when VSO gets disabled (project at normal speed). In order to playback in sync Sonar would have to remember the VSO settings and "undo" them in real-time during playback. Or they'd have to resample the recorded slower clip up to regular speed so that it would play back in sync. But that kind of goes against Sonar's non-destructive ideology. Anyway, just thinking out loud here...

You can use me as your eSoundz referral (altima_boy_2001).
DonM
Max Output Level: -34 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4129
RE: Varispeed 2008/12/05 07:01:57 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Moe2

Varispeed would be very cool. It's one of the things I miss from the analog days.

It's Deja Vu all over again! Great idea if it could work.

-D

Vovchik
Max Output Level: -74 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 847
RE: Varispeed 2008/12/05 07:31:44 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: altima_boy_2001

Recording:

Playback:

Exactly. But you can use any sample player, not necessarily RXP. Drop Zone, Dimension or Rapture (including light versions) will do the job. The whole process looks much more complicated "on paper" than in reality. Bounce submix, drag it into DropZone window, insert long note, retune, freeze. You're ready to record. After recording, unfreeze DZ, bounce insrtument takes to clip, drag into the same DZ, retune in opposite direction, bounce to track.

If It Ain't Broken, Don't Fix It
krizrox
RE: Varispeed 2008/12/05 08:00:29 (permalink)

Mute/un-mute/archive/load...ARRGGH! Not the same as a vari-speed option...I really think nobody responding (and I do appreciate the suggestions) understands exactly what I'm talking about...

You're talking about recording in real-time at a different speed and then changing the speed back to normal for playback. I don't think this sort of feature exists in any program (if it does correct me). But I still believe it is easy to approximate the effect in Samplitude. It's not as simple as turning a knob on the front of a tape deck but it should be do-able without much effort. I would also suggest that this might be possible with V-Vocal or Auto-Tune. Simply sing another unison part and tweak the entire track up or down a few percent.

Larry Kriz
www.LnLRecording.com

Sonar PE 8.5, Samplitude Pro 11, Sonic Core Scope Professional/XTC, A16 Ultra AD/DA, Intel DG965RY MOBO, Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 2.4GHz processor, XFX GeForce 7300 GT PCIe video card, Barracuda 750 & 320GB SATA drives, 4GB DDR Ram, Plextor DVD/CD-R burner.
evansmalley
  • Total Posts : 715
RE: Varispeed 2008/12/05 08:16:04 (permalink)
hey Larry-

Yeah that's exactly what Reaper does- just like a tape machine, exactly. And it also exports at the pitch/speed you have the vari-speed at.

For all you's guys talkin' about this thing- you should just go ahead and download Reaper. It's free to try. If you right click on the varispeed slider it gives you options for coarser/finer amount.

It's awesome. Too bad it's such a clunky program compared to Sonar...
krizrox
RE: Varispeed 2008/12/05 09:15:12 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: evansmalley

hey Larry-

Yeah that's exactly what Reaper does- just like a tape machine, exactly. And it also exports at the pitch/speed you have the vari-speed at.

For all you's guys talkin' about this thing- you should just go ahead and download Reaper. It's free to try. If you right click on the varispeed slider it gives you options for coarser/finer amount.

It's awesome. Too bad it's such a clunky program compared to Sonar...

That's an interesting feature (I think we're talking about the same thing in the old TripleDAT program too). But again, how different is this approach to simply singing (or playing) alternate unison parts and then pitch shifting the other tracks up or down a few cents? Doesn't that serve the same purpose? Sonar's simple little pitchshift tool works fine in this regard. As long as you're not going more than a few cents up or down, it works fine. Usually, those tracks are sort of buried in the mix anyway right?

Interesting how all these programs all have their own little niche functions isn't it?

Larry Kriz
www.LnLRecording.com

pianodano
RE: Varispeed 2008/12/05 09:32:34 (permalink)

I don't believe anyone has suggested that the vari-speed option should offer a "slow the tape down to nothingness" feature...Those of us who have used a variety of analog tape decks (in my case Studer, Scully, Ampex, 3M, Otari, MCI) are well aware of the + or - percentages that we could use with the (somewhat erroneously mislabeled) "pitch control" knob on the deck...

- - - - - - - - - - - - -

Does anyone understand this concept?

Absolutely understood. We did it all the time with bgv for stunning sound and btw, how could Richard Harris have ever hit the high notes in MacArthur Park without slowing down the machine ?

Best,

Danny

papa2004
RE: Varispeed 2008/12/05 09:45:37 (permalink)
But again, how different is this approach to simply singing (or playing) alternate unison parts and then pitch shifting the other tracks up or down a few cents? Doesn't that serve the same purpose?

NO!, NO!, NO!...It's not the same as vari-speed (recording at a slower or higher speed and playing back in real time)...I am now having serious problems trying to figure out why some of you don't understand this concept...

Regards,
Papa
evansmalley
  • Total Posts : 715
RE: Varispeed 2008/12/05 10:12:58 (permalink)
But again, how different is this approach to simply singing (or playing) alternate unison parts and then pitch shifting the other tracks up or down a few cents? Doesn't that serve the same purpose? Sonar's simple little pitchshift tool works fine in this regard. As long as you're not going more than a few cents up or down, it works fine. Usually, those tracks are sort of buried in the mix anyway right?

for those who just- can't- seem- to- get- this- (from previous posts, to review...!)

For me, vari-speed has never been to get an effect of formant change- just to get stuff in tune! Sometimes to help a vocalist get up to a high note... if you work with lots of real acoustic instruments- trust me- you want to tune the project TO the instrument! Ever try tuning a vintage accordian on the spot? Or a real Fender Rhodes? (review note: only if you are too poor to buy the real, original, sampler- clearly the superior option! [ha!])

When you were tracking any instrument, you could easily tune your song to it. Often, for example, if your guitar player would end up at the end of a song being a little sharp on the last chord- rather than have him re-tune his guitar, you could just tune the song up a few cents. Or if an electric piano, Hammond organ, Grand Piano, tubular bell, harmonica, ethnic drum, etc, etc, etc., was a little sharp/flat, it took about 10 seconds to get the SONG in tune to IT.

for one thing, tuned drums! bells! whatever!...

pitch your machine way up, to a harmonious pitch to a drum and record a track in tune... when you put it back down in regular speed, the drum is in great tune, but a low low low deep kick ass boom... so many other things, too... especially just playing odd acoustic instruments in tune with a song without having to tune them.

tune your SONG (!) to ANY sound or ANY noise, record it and bam... it's in tune!

OK that's enough for me! sorry to bother all y'all... more... sorry-
Ev

Glennbo
Max Output Level: -57 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1840
RE: Varispeed 2008/12/05 10:13:36 (permalink)

But again, how different is this approach to simply singing (or playing) alternate unison parts and then pitch shifting the other tracks up or down a few cents? Doesn't that serve the same purpose?

NO!, NO!, NO!...It's not the same as vari-speed (recording at a slower or higher speed and playing back in real time)...I am now having serious problems trying to figure out why some of you don't understand this concept...

I totally get it, and have used variable speed recording on analog tape decks for BGV fattening, and to produce wild flanging with very deep textures, among other things. The variable speed control in Reaper works just like the variable speed control I had on my Tascam half inch and Ampex one inch multi-track recorders. Reaper's variable speed actually has a wider range than the old analog recorders had though, as you can go plus or minus way more than an octave with it. Here's a test I did playing a guitar solo with the recorder running half speed, and as someone said earlier in this thread, things like vibrato are altered when recording at anything other than normal speed. After recording the solo on this, it sounded like chipmunks, because it was playing back twice as fast as I has recorded it. I then dropped a pitch shifter into the FX bin and dropped it back into the octave that I actually played it in. The end result is that it sounds pretty legit, as if it were played and recorded at the speed you hear it, except that I forgot to slow any vibrato down while recording, so it sounds wiggly and fast. Still, this test told me what I wanted to know, and that was if I could do this kind of a trick and make it sound believable.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_songInfo.cfm?bandID=403575&songID=6320407
post edited by Glennbo - 2008/12/05 10:18:49
pianodano
RE: Varispeed 2008/12/05 10:21:44 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: evansmalley

But again, how different is this approach to simply singing (or playing) alternate unison parts and then pitch shifting the other tracks up or down a few cents? Doesn't that serve the same purpose? Sonar's simple little pitchshift tool works fine in this regard. As long as you're not going more than a few cents up or down, it works fine. Usually, those tracks are sort of buried in the mix anyway right?

for those who just- can't- seem- to- get- this- (from previous posts, to review...!)

For me, vari-speed has never been to get an effect of formant change- just to get stuff in tune! Sometimes to help a vocalist get up to a high note... if you work with lots of real acoustic instruments- trust me- you want to tune the project TO the instrument! Ever try tuning a vintage accordian on the spot? Or a real Fender Rhodes? (review note: only if you are too poor to buy the real, original, sampler- clearly the superior option! [ha!])

When you were tracking any instrument, you could easily tune your song to it. Often, for example, if your guitar player would end up at the end of a song being a little sharp on the last chord- rather than have him re-tune his guitar, you could just tune the song up a few cents. Or if an electric piano, Hammond organ, Grand Piano, tubular bell, harmonica, ethnic drum, etc, etc, etc., was a little sharp/flat, it took about 10 seconds to get the SONG in tune to IT.

for one thing, tuned drums! bells! whatever!...

pitch your machine way up, to a harmonious pitch to a drum and record a track in tune... when you put it back down in regular speed, the drum is in great tune, but a low low low deep kick ass boom... so many other things, too... especially just playing odd acoustic instruments in tune with a song without having to tune them.

tune your SONG (!) to ANY sound or ANY noise, record it and bam... it's in tune!

OK that's enough for me! sorry to bother all y'all... more... sorry-
Ev

Hi ya Evan,

Ahh. varispeed 101 lesson. Yep, song was recorded with the melody hitting a high "A" and wouldn't you know that on the day the vocal needed to be done the vocalist was maxed out at Ab. I found that about a whole step was just about the max for lead vocal. (think Chipmonks). And certainly for overdub instruments that can't easily be tuned but are out of tune with the master .

Danny

Best,

Danny

papa2004
RE: Varispeed 2008/12/05 10:22:52 (permalink)
I totally get it, and have used variable speed recording on analog tape decks for BGV fattening, and to produce wild flanging with very deep textures, among other things. The variable speed control in Reaper works just like the variable speed control I had on my Tascam half inch and Ampex one inch multi-track recorders

Thank you, Glenn...

I will try the Reaper option this afternoon (I've already downloaded and installed the demo)...I sincerely hope it works as you say it does...

Regards,
Papa
Glennbo
  • Total Posts : 1840
RE: Varispeed 2008/12/05 11:10:08 (permalink)

I totally get it, and have used variable speed recording on analog tape decks for BGV fattening, and to produce wild flanging with very deep textures, among other things. The variable speed control in Reaper works just like the variable speed control I had on my Tascam half inch and Ampex one inch multi-track recorders

Thank you, Glenn...

I will try the Reaper option this afternoon (I've already downloaded and installed the demo)...I sincerely hope it works as you say it does...

Here's a cheezy cellphone video illustrating it.

http://members.cox.net/spambaconandspam/Vari-speed.avi
j boy
Max Output Level: -48 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2729
RE: Varispeed 2008/12/05 14:05:05 (permalink)
Might be possible to approximate the effect with dfx Scrubby (it's free): http://destroyfx.smartelectronix.com/
RTGraham
  • Total Posts : 1824
RE: Varispeed 2008/12/05 14:43:34 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: j boy

Might be possible to approximate the effect with dfx Scrubby (it's free): http://destroyfx.smartelectronix.com/

Scrubby looks like it is deliberately programmed to be too random to truly approximate a global varispeed control; I haven't downloaded it to try it, but based on the description and documentation, it appears to want to zoom around in time, speeding up and slowing down audio as it gets there, as opposed to just reaching the *end* of the song at a different rate, in linear fashion. It *might* be possible to set such a large seek range that the only "scrub" would be with the song's end as a destination; but even then, according to the documentation, it would take so long to fill Scrubby's playback buffer that you'd have silence for several seconds (possibly as long as half the song) before hearing the scrubbed audio.

Even if it worked, there would have to be a way to perform a reverse - and accurate - process on the audio recorded during Scrubby's "pseudo-varispeed" playback, once the overdub was done.

Good suggestion, though. I'm not shooting it down just to be contrary - perhaps this part of the discussion will spark another creative idea from yourself or someone else. Personally, I think that if SONAR has to handle some kind of master clock value (either from the computer's internal clock if set to MIDI sync, or from an audio interface or clock generator wordclock input if set to audio sync), then it should be possible to perform a simple percentage multiplication of that clock value before passing it to the audio engine. Obviously I don't know much specifically about what's under the hood in the program; but if I can get the same effect from feeding SONAR a "slower" or "faster" version of 48k from my Aardsync, then it should be possible to do some math *inside* SONAR to approximate the same clock properties.
post edited by RTGraham - 2008/12/05 14:47:42

~~~~~~~~~~
Russell T. Graham
Keys, Vocals, Songwriting, Production
russell DOT graham AT rtgproductions DOT com
www DOT myspace DOT com SLASH russelltgraham
Page: < 1234 > Showing page 3 of 4
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1