WHY IS SONAR NOT THE INDUSTRY STANDARD???

Page: 12345.. > >> Showing page 1 of 6
Author
BMOG
Max Output Level: -78 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 638
2009/08/21 13:00:24 (permalink)

WHY IS SONAR NOT THE INDUSTRY STANDARD???

I had a conversation with a friend of mine today who has a production team and they are using Logic and Protools.  I was talking to him about finding and studio to Master a project for me.  He stated if you mix correctly you don't need to Master.  He asked me what I was using, I told him Sonar Producer 8 and he said man you have to get Logic or Protools on a Mac a PC cannot compare.  He said a PC can't compete, he said the samples that Logic has it in will remove the need for any instrument.  I told him I have been a Cakewalk person for years and I like it, he said the the Industry Standard is Protools and know other DAW can compare.  He said if you take a project done in Sonar to an agent he is not going to even want to hear it because it is not Protools. Depsite feeling small because everything I came back with to defend Sonar was shot down by what is considered Industry Standard.

How come we don't have more industry studios using Sonar?  The bigger question is how can we change this, I have read several forums on the difference of Logic vs Sonar and there will always be a debate, but the fact of the matter is Protools and Logic is what the Industry is using unless I am wrong.

How can we put Sonar on the Industry map?

155 Replies Related Threads

yorolpal
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 13829
    Re:WHY IS SONAR NOT THE INDUSTRY STANDARD??? 2009/08/21 13:02:35 (permalink)
    What industry?

https://soundcloud.com/doghouse-riley/tracks 
    https://doghouseriley1.bandcamp.com 
    Where you come from is gone...where you thought you were goin to weren't never there...and where you are ain't no good unless you can get away from it.

SPLAT 64 bit running on a Studio Cat Pro System Win 10 64bit 2.8ghz Core i7 with 24 gigs ram. MOTU Audio Express.
    BMOG
    Max Output Level: -78 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 638
    Re:WHY IS SONAR NOT THE INDUSTRY STANDARD??? 2009/08/21 13:04:09 (permalink)

The Music Industry I will say this I live in Florida and all of the good studios here are using Protools

yorolpal

What industry?

CJaysMusic
    • Total Posts : 30423
    Re:WHY IS SONAR NOT THE INDUSTRY STANDARD??? 2009/08/21 13:05:59 (permalink)
    He stated if you mix correctly you don't need to Master.

Really.!!!! So who does the track order and fade ins?? Mastering is allot more than just mixing.

What about all these huge engineers/producers that mix for the artist. They send all there stuff to be mastered. Are you saying the 'great ones" dont know what there doing???
    Mastering is a part of the process and cannot be left out. Cause as i explained, mastering is more than mixing..

I have friends in the industry that use soanr and say the complete opposite. Hum. I guess it comes down to what 'HE' says. LOL
    BLOG, it comes down to personnel preference

www.audio-mastering-mixing.com - A Professional Worldwide Audio Mixing & Mastering Studio, Providing Online And Attended Sessions. We also do TV commercials, Radio spots & spoken word books
    Audio Blog
    nprime
    Max Output Level: -51 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2423
    Re:WHY IS SONAR NOT THE INDUSTRY STANDARD??? 2009/08/21 13:12:17 (permalink)
    Well, the situation is what it is, and isn't likely to change anytime soon. Figuring out how we got here is pointless, and has been hashed to death here, there, and everywhere.

It's not like CW is going to find some magic fairy dust and change "The Industry" opinion of their product. They have made their bed and now...well, you know.

Pro-Tools is like Kleenex. It has become the generic layman's name for a DAW. How the Hell would someone from "The Industry" know what tool you used to record your track unless you told them?

Anyone who thinks you must have Pro-Tools to record a hit song is ignorant. I would hazard a guess that most of those people have never even looked at anything else.

(edit)

Oh, and your friend is an idiot who clearly has absolutely no idea what he is talking about. Stop listening to his advice. How he got where he is is anyone's guess.
    post edited by nprime - 2009/08/21 13:14:26

Listen

Sonar 5PE
    Intel DP35DP, E6750, 3 GB, 80GB/320 GB
    Scope (6 DSP) w/A16 interface
    PadKontrol, Legacy Series MS20, EZDrummer.
    Seth Perlstein [Cakewalk]
    • Total Posts : 2084
    Re:WHY IS SONAR NOT THE INDUSTRY STANDARD??? 2009/08/21 13:15:09 (permalink)
    BMOG

1. he said man you have to get Logic or Protools on a Mac a PC cannot compare. 

2. He said a PC can't compete, he said the samples that Logic has it in will remove the need for any instrument.   

3. He said if you take a project done in Sonar to an agent he is not going to even want to hear it because it is not Protools.

1. Macs cannot take advantage of Solid State Disks full speed or upcoming ability to maintain themselves over time (TRIM). There is also no 64-bit DAW for MacOS for now or for the foreseeable future.

2. SONAR Producer ships with 20+ gigs of content including the full retail version of DimensionPro. And the content is only getting better, as you will soon see.

3. If you are referring to a record label agent they have zero interest in what application the music was made, or what other gear was used to make it. This is completely irrelevant to them as they are concerned about the music and the artists, not the behind the scenes stuff like DAWs.

leapinlizard
    Max Output Level: -82 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 428
    Re:WHY IS SONAR NOT THE INDUSTRY STANDARD??? 2009/08/21 13:17:35 (permalink)
    Actually, Sonar is the industry standard.  All those people using ProTools and Logic are behind the times and in denial.

"Surf music will never die." -- LeapinLizard, 1963
    "We may never hear surf music again." -- Jimi Hendrix, 1967. 
    yorolpal
    Re:WHY IS SONAR NOT THE INDUSTRY STANDARD??? 2009/08/21 13:19:01 (permalink)
    There is no "music industry" anymore.  That paradigm is over. 

Where you come from is gone...where you thought you were goin to weren't never there...and where you are ain't no good unless you can get away from it.

SPLAT 64 bit running on a Studio Cat Pro System Win 10 64bit 2.8ghz Core i7 with 24 gigs ram. MOTU Audio Express.
    Glennbo
    Max Output Level: -57 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1840
    Re:WHY IS SONAR NOT THE INDUSTRY STANDARD??? 2009/08/21 13:19:24 (permalink)
    Seth Perlstein [Cakewalk
    2. SONAR Producer ships with 20+ gigs of content

And that's about 19.5 gigs too much IMHO!
    cryophonik
    Max Output Level: -28 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4724
    Re:WHY IS SONAR NOT THE INDUSTRY STANDARD??? 2009/08/21 13:22:36 (permalink)
    Seth Perlstein [Cakewalk
    ]

2. SONAR Producer ships with 20+ gigs of content including the full retail version of DimensionPro. And the content is only getting better, as you will soon see.

Hmmmm....

cryophonik   |   soundcloud  |   Facebook

Q6600 | GA-EP45-UD3P | Windows 7 64 | 8GB
    Access Virus Keyboard TI2 | Kurzweil PC3X | NI Maschine

Mooch4056
    Max Output Level: -0.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 7494
    Re:WHY IS SONAR NOT THE INDUSTRY STANDARD??? 2009/08/21 13:22:50 (permalink)

yeah this has been discussed to death on here....

long story short -- pro-tools was the first -- back in the 90's -- they implimented a separate hard drive and saved cpu .. computers in general wernt really strong enough to do it alone -- hence the HD system .. and why it exisits

they were first.... and nailed the market -- all the big studio's used them and never looked back

thats the short version --- they were first and beat the rest to the market

as stated above by people -- if anyone thinks thats pro-tools is the only way or only good program to produce a great CD/album/mp3 ect... then they are just pro-Fools

Paul

From Now On Call Me Conquistador! 

Donate to the cure Bapu Foundation
    Email: mooch4056@gmail.com for more info

Dizzi45Z
    Max Output Level: -70 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1040
    Re:WHY IS SONAR NOT THE INDUSTRY STANDARD??? 2009/08/21 13:27:44 (permalink)
    I own Pro Tools HD and Sonar and I freelance engineer at the bigger studios around town which also own Pro Tools HD.  I have also worked a little bit in Logic and I own a Mac.  This is such a controversial subject.  But let me outline my thoughts on this whole matter.

1.  Great professional songs/projects can be created on almost any DAW now days.  His comment that Agent's won't even look at a project that is done in something other than Pro Tools is ridiculous.  I would be curious as to what he means by Agents.  Is he talking about Record Labels?  Awesome projects have been created in Sonar and I doubt any label would turn down an incredible song because it wasn't done in Pro Tools.  Just ridiculous.  Plus, a lot of people these days are marketing their own stuff and playing the role of the label anyways.    He probably has some explanation.....maybe agents will only look at projects done in Higher quality studios which 99% of the time will be running Pro Tools HD.

2.  Logic/Mac etc. is really good.  But I have yet to see anything that requires Apple to create a professional project.  In fact, I still use PC for my mastering in CD Architect which is PC based and I have yet to find software that I like as much as CD Architect.  Logic vs. Sonar is an endless debate.  Both are amazing and have great features. 

3.  Pro Tools will remain the industry standard in High End studios for many reasons.  First of all, it is fantastic.  Pro Tools is often viewed as being featureless, but that is completely wrong.  Pro Tools may have less features on the surface, but each feature is completely developed.  So I find that Pro Tools gives a ton on less features where all the other software companies see to give a little of a ton of features.  I personally prefer the Pro Tools direction.  Their editing, automation, grouping is stunning and super easy.  Much deeper than I have seen in any other software.  I believe it is the fact that the basics and stability of Pro Tools is so well developed, that Studio Owners are not looking for something else to replace the studio.  People who are building studios want compatability between studios and thus have no choice but to go with Pro Tools HD.  Pro Tools is so engrained in the industry and People feel so comfortable with Pro Tools, that it would be ridiculously impossible to change this. 

4.  Sonar is amazing.  For the price you pay for Sonar, you get an amazing value.  You can do amazing top of the line professional things with Sonar.  You should be a proud owner of Sonar and only worry about what works best for you unless you are planning on being an engineer for a living or plan to work back and forth between the high end studios.  However, you can always export audio from Pro Tools to bring into Sonar and bring a mix with the tempo to a high end studio to easily track something for your proect in Pro Tools. 

-Dave
    Noisebox Studios -Utah Recording Studio
    Sonar 8.5 , Melodyne Plug-in, Pro Tools 8 HD2,  Waves Platinum Bundle
    Tascam DM-3200 with IF-FW/DM mkII
    AMD 64 X2 4400
    Mac Pro Quad Xeon 2.6 11GB Ram

dbmusic
    Max Output Level: -68 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1150
    Re:WHY IS SONAR NOT THE INDUSTRY STANDARD??? 2009/08/21 13:32:44 (permalink)
    While I certainly don't have an answer, I do have an opinion. Personally I think Sonar would become more standardized throughout the industry if CW would quit making making it a marketing circus and took the product more seriously. Instead of slapping on gobs of free do-dads that professionals never use, distributing half-baked big ideas that never really work right and never seem to get updated and fixed, and ignoring fundamental functionality that should unquestioningly work (like automation, envelopes), instead provide the rock-solid tools that professionals need. And for god's sake quit selling bug-ridden first versions!

Much of it is in how Sonar is perceived. I do believe among the greater majority of industry professions that Sonar is seen as buggy software designed for hobbyists with home studios. There's a reason that perception exists...because they DO sell buggy software and their marketing is aimed squarely and the home recording crowd.

Regards,

DB
    j boy
    Max Output Level: -48 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2729
    Re:WHY IS SONAR NOT THE INDUSTRY STANDARD??? 2009/08/21 13:56:28 (permalink)
    dbmusic

Much of it is in how Sonar is perceived. I do believe among the greater majority of industry professions that Sonar is seen as buggy software designed for hobbyists with home studios. There's a reason that perception exists...because they DO sell buggy software and their marketing is aimed squarely and the home recording crowd.

Regards,

DB

That's a good point.  I  pointed out in this thread:  http://forum.cakewalk.com/tm.aspx?m=1798179

that Digi understands their market.  Cakewalk wants to have it both ways.  The needs of an audio recording engineer in a pro studio situation are very different from the needs of a kid sitting on a sofa banging loops, to borrow the phrase.  It's not at all a knock on the latter group of users, but by including all the stuff aimed at this demographic (like the new Project 5-inspired Matrix, twitter messaging, etc.) they bloat the software with stuff that the former find just gets in the way.  If you have used Pro Tools you know that it allows you to do what it sets out to do very effectively and directly.  500 GB of sampled this and that are --not-- part of the brief.  64 bit OS isn't important when you're dealing with mainly audio in a DSP environment. 

Of course there are professional records made using Live, loops, MIDI, etc. but usually that's done outside of the Pro Tools environment.  Different tools for different jobs.

IMHO Cakewalk really needs to decide whether they want to target the recording or the composing side of things, because otherwise they are trying to be all things to all people and this just tends to water down and bloat up the product eventually.  Maybe it would be better to break up into separate packages aimed at the target market, and specific needs.
    pollux
    Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 84
    Re:WHY IS SONAR NOT THE INDUSTRY STANDARD??? 2009/08/21 14:02:04 (permalink)

It's also a good integrated solution that has the control surface, the DSP cards, the plugins that run on them, the convertors that go up to 192 KHz (not saying it's a need or a must-have, but it's what they do) and the preamps that go in front, which are of very good quality.

There is one more thing, and this is true for any industry. They've been using it for almost 20 years, all of their files are stored in that format, the format is not easily interoperable, they are efficient using it, and Digi provides good consulting services for setting up a studio, and also industry-strong support contracts (AKA expensive).
    It's the same when looking at other systems.. Windows is the preferred desktop system in any corporation, even if MAC OS or Linux are (arguably) better. Oracle and IBM DB2 are the leading databases regarding business applications, despite the fact they are heavy, expensive and complicated. Banks are still running 40 year old COBOL applications on AS400, and it's not tomorrow they will change them.
    No matter the industry, there are always tools that become de facto standards, and once they are settled, it's very difficult to change them. 

Digi would really need to screw things up bad, or a different company would have to invent something really new, that would shift the paradigm for the industry to look elsewhere.. which by the way is what Digi did back then.. The industry standard was SSL and ADAT tapes.. Before that SSL shifted the paradigm by creating "computerized" consoles that could be automated.. Alesis came up with the digital tapes which replaced the analog tapes..  and so and so and so back to when music was a caveman hitting a log with a branch.

pollux
    Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 84
    Re:WHY IS SONAR NOT THE INDUSTRY STANDARD??? 2009/08/21 14:16:10 (permalink)
    endless
    j boy

IMHO Cakewalk really needs to decide whether they want to target the recording or the composing side of things, because otherwise they are trying to be all things to all people and this just tends to water down and bloat up the product eventually.  Maybe it would be better to break up into separate packages aimed at the target market, and specific needs.

The fact that we like Sonar and we believe it should beat ProTools and become the next industry standard doesn't mean it's within the business plan of Cakewalk.
    The fact that many of us will feel better or prouder by seing Sonar with happy top notch engineers posing right next to it in a multi million dollar studio doesn't mean it's what Cakewalk is seeking for.

They have a product and a target, and quite likely they will not bother spending a fortune trying to beat Digi in their own field.
    IMHO, Sonar targets home studios, musicians and producers, that need to produce decent sounding demos or sketches (no offense). It's not aimed to the pro engineer ("pro" meaning "the guy that works 12 hours straight in a studio and makes his living out of that")

So we are the target and like the product. why bother trying to change things in a way it will end up having a couple of extra zeroes in the bill, we will not afford to buy it anymore, switch to a different tool, equivalent to what Sonar is today, and then start again trying to make this new tool the new "industry standard" and go against Sonar :)

John
    Forum Host
    • Total Posts : 30467
    Re:WHY IS SONAR NOT THE INDUSTRY STANDARD??? 2009/08/21 14:55:03 (permalink)
    I had a conversation with a friend of mine today who has a production team and they are using Logic and Protools. I was talking to him about finding and studio to Master a project for me. He stated if you mix correctly you don't need to Master. He asked me what I was using, I told him Sonar Producer 8 and he said man you have to get Logic or Protools on a Mac a PC cannot compare. He said a PC can't compete, he said the samples that Logic has it in will remove the need for any instrument. I told him I have been a Cakewalk person for years and I like it, he said the the Industry Standard is Protools and know other DAW can compare. He said if you take a project done in Sonar to an agent he is not going to even want to hear it because it is not Protools. Depsite feeling small because everything I came back with to defend Sonar was shot down by what is considered Industry Standard. How come we don't have more industry studios using Sonar? The bigger question is how can we change this, I have read several forums on the difference of Logic vs Sonar and there will always be a debate, but the fact of the matter is Protools and Logic is what the Industry is using unless I am wrong. How can we put Sonar on the Industry map?

He doesn't know what he is talking about. Mastering has nothing to do with whether its done on a PC or Mac. Nor does mixing either. I also believe he is overstating the case against mastering. He would be more correct in saying mastering is far easier with a well mixed source. But mastering is far more then just making a song sound better. This means he doesn't know that he doesn't know much.

Best
    John
    strikinglyhandsome1
    Max Output Level: -3 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 7224
    Re:WHY IS SONAR NOT THE INDUSTRY STANDARD??? 2009/08/21 15:00:39 (permalink)
    I've never seen it as my job to make Sonar the industry standard.

I see my role as buying it, using it and looking fabulous as I do.
    dontletmedrown
    Max Output Level: -58 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1722
    Re:WHY IS SONAR NOT THE INDUSTRY STANDARD??? 2009/08/21 15:03:39 (permalink)
    The reason Sonar is not the industry standard is because of people just like your friend.  He obviously has been drinkin the kool-aid if you know what I mean.  If you were familiar with Logic, you would have laughed your ass off when he told you the samples could replace instruments.  People perpetuate this BS and it just continues to be lapped up by the lowest common denomiators so it keeps spreading like a virus. 

Here is your mission should you choose to accept it:  Create a killer production that blows your buddy out of the water.  Only then can people be made to understand that the DAW doesn't matter.
    post edited by dontletmedrown - 2009/08/21 15:04:47
    bitflipper
    01100010 01101001 01110100 01100110 01101100 01101
    • Total Posts : 26036
    Re:WHY IS SONAR NOT THE INDUSTRY STANDARD??? 2009/08/21 15:09:48 (permalink)
    I had a conversation with a friend of mine today who has a production team and they are using Logic and Protools. I was talking to him about finding and studio to Master a project for me. He stated if you mix correctly you don't need to Master. He asked me what I was using, I told him Sonar Producer 8 and he said man you have to get Logic or Protools on a Mac a PC cannot compare. He said a PC can't compete, he said the samples that Logic has it in will remove the need for any instrument. I told him I have been a Cakewalk person for years and I like it, he said the the Industry Standard is Protools and know other DAW can compare. He said if you take a project done in Sonar to an agent he is not going to even want to hear it because it is not Protools. Depsite feeling small because everything I came back with to defend Sonar was shot down by what is considered Industry Standard.

This is hilarious. I won't even bother refuting any of these statements, as they are ludicrous. Trust me on this: your friend does not know what he is talking about!

All else is in doubt, so this is the truth I cling to. 

My Stuff
    AS741
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1
    Re:WHY IS SONAR NOT THE INDUSTRY STANDARD??? 2009/08/21 15:18:23 (permalink)
    Hi all,

a few thoughts to throw into the pot:

Something that Protools/Logic have in common with each other is that they are both produced by companies that also make Non Linear Video editors, in the case of Protools, the partner product is Avid and Apple have Final Cut Pro. Both these products are also the 'industry standard' for the digital video editing market. mmm.

Might not automatically sound like much but when you think about the amount of film/tv/advertising/computer game (and who knows what else) work that is about in this age of having had an explosion in the number of tv channels, games platforms, multiplex cinemas etc..  not to mention on-line and mobile/handheld platform distribution ...  the ability to cover both the audio and visual requirements of any production 'in-house' is a big advantage, hence Protools/Avid combinations in the biggest most expensive studios and Logic/Final Cut setups in many others too.

I'm on a Film Studies course but have had an interest in music production for a long time. For the sake of conforming/allowing myself access to the 'industry standard' I was going to buy a Mac and Final Cut Pro, at huge expense which I found hard to justify. In the end I saw Adobe CS4 (A video production package) available to me as a student (Cue the booing and throwing of rotten food ;o) ) at an absolutely mind numbing discount that made the decision an instant no-brainer. I stayed With my laptop, bought CS4 and then SP7 and have upgraded to SP8 since.

For me (Although having prchased SP7,) where Cakewalk miss out is in not having a package for students. I have a few friends (honestly) who are on Music Tech courses at my Uni, and they are all getting into Logic and Protools because that's the equipment that is on offer for them to train with. The truth is that whatever DAW you use it has virtually nothing to do with the creative stuff that goes on in your mind. We might say that the DAW has to give you the abiltity to translate your creativity quickly into a real product, but, once you've learnt to operate your software properly there is nothing to stop you achieving this at all, be you a user of Protools/Logic/Sonar or whatever. Its just a case of investing enough time in the product you've purchased to understand and know it. If Cakewalk had a decent - and I mean really decent - Education package, there would be a lot more people graduating from Universities and entering the jobs market within the industry who had been trained on Protools/Logic and Sonar, over time that could make some difference to what may become the future of the 'industry standard', if such an achievement matters anyway, world domination is so passe. As long as I have the choice, I will be faithful to Adobe becasue the products I have from them enable me to do whatever I want, with no real difference in quality between them and the other 'industry standards'.

I've invested the time in them, I know how to use them, they work with my creativity and they cost me less. Simple.

One of the key things in my learning to use the Adobe Software is the amount of online tutorials that are available - free. I have had no formal training in these products but am really pleased with what I am becoming increasingly more able to do with them as I continue to learn more. If Cakewalk had a similar support network it would make a real difference to the number of users who were happy with their products and free of any worry about weather or not it is the 'industry standard'

to see what i mean google:
    'adobe tv'
    'video copilot' - this it has to be said is an amazing website for trianing - yes it sells stuff too, but the products are never rammed down your throat.
    'creative cow'

some of these websites even have tutorials on how to mix/master use audio effects plugins and so on - things that are often left to last in video production (if known about at all) but here, on video production websites they still get their own tutorials. As far as I can tell (and a big hands up by way of apology here if I am wrong) when it comes to in-depth, free, online video tutorials, we have nothing. I can not express what a difference these free on-line tutorials have made to my perception of my Adobe products and to my own ability to translate my creative ideas into real world finsihed products. Cakewalk I really really think you are missing a trick here.

Good luck all,

focus on learning your products and when the creativity hits, a finished product won't be far behind.
    yorolpal
    Re:WHY IS SONAR NOT THE INDUSTRY STANDARD??? 2009/08/21 15:31:41 (permalink)
    strikinglyhandsome1

Then, by George, you've succeeded, sir.

strikinglyhandsome1
    Max Output Level: -3 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 7224
    Re:WHY IS SONAR NOT THE INDUSTRY STANDARD??? 2009/08/21 15:37:02 (permalink)
    ^^^^^^^

He's right. He always is
    CJaysMusic
    • Total Posts : 30423
    Re:WHY IS SONAR NOT THE INDUSTRY STANDARD??? 2009/08/21 15:54:03 (permalink)
    he said the samples that Logic has it in will remove the need for any instrument

laughing my freaking ars off.. I stand by my Real guitars, Real Bass's and anything else real that i play.
    The real thing is the real thing. When someone says, it almost soudns like the real thing or sounds like the real thing, there comparing it to the real thing and that is the real thing.

This guy named "HE" is a playing a cruel joke on you..A very funny one. If he's serious, whats his name and ware does he work, so i can nver send anything  to him by mistake, if i ever need to send things out in the future....
    Cj

www.audio-mastering-mixing.com - A Professional Worldwide Audio Mixing & Mastering Studio, Providing Online And Attended Sessions. We also do TV commercials, Radio spots & spoken word books
    Audio Blog
    alkie
    • Total Posts : 2706
    Re:WHY IS SONAR NOT THE INDUSTRY STANDARD??? 2009/08/21 16:01:34 (permalink)
    Industry Shmindustry ... i hate standards anyway... Sonar all the way.

Whoa.... to you ...oh...earth and sea...
    for the devil sends the beast with wrath.....
    because he knows the time is short.....
    let him who hath understanding.....
    reckon the number of the beast.....
    for it is a human number...
    it`s number is.....

So if JESUS rose from the DEAD
    Does that mean he`s the ORIGINAL ZOMBIE?
    bunnyfluffer
    Max Output Level: -77 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 674
    Re:WHY IS SONAR NOT THE INDUSTRY STANDARD??? 2009/08/21 16:45:10 (permalink)
    the entire conversation is nonsense. your freind is quite simple wrong and biased by personal preference.

I've had three complete pro-tools TDM systems, have used Vision, (up to and including Studio Vison Pro), Logic, Cubase, Acid, etc, etc, etc... I choose to use Sonar because I work faster and better than on any other system.

I currently own Mac Pro Tower w/ four cores and 8gb ram. It has PTLE 003R w/ PT8 is 48 tracks. I also have Logic 8 on that machine and it is SLAVED to my Sonar8 PC built by PCAL.

If there is such a thing as an industry "standard" it would be Pro-Tools HD, and even that is debatable. It may be in virtually every high end professional studio, and it is a recognized delivery format - fine. Logic is nowhere near anykind of industry standard.

But most of the guys I know are recording an prepping tracks in small compact studios and then bringing the stems to big studios for the overdubs. It doesn't matter if those stems are created in Logic, Sonar, Cubase, Reaper...

I'm working on a project now that is spread over four studios, three recordists/producers and three completely different DAWS all swaping files via stems or OMFs.

Pro-Tools is to audio what the Avid is to film/tv. But everyday I feel that grip loosening.

If you wanted to work as an assist engineer in a big commercial studio (of what's left of them) then sure - learn pro-tools and get certified, but if you are a creative person, musician, producer - than use the tools that are best for you - Sonar is a First Class environment with features that Logic and Pro-Tools haven't had until their last versions released just months ago.

Are there features I wish Sonar had - yup, but not every DAW has everything. I've been working in Sonar, Logic and Pro-Tools for the last year out of neccessity for file transfers and compatibility - and I'll take Sonar any day over the other two - ESPECIALLY FOR MIXING...

Like any tool it is what you make of it. I know a bunch of anti-pc mainstream pop producers, and they all have Meko's so that they can run VST apps and effects... well, a Meko is just a PC with keyboard and controllers built into it. Most of those guys run Live just to buss through the effects... so to each his own.

John
    Forum Host
    • Total Posts : 30467
    Re:WHY IS SONAR NOT THE INDUSTRY STANDARD??? 2009/08/21 18:00:33 (permalink)
    strikinglyhandsome1

ROTFLMAO!!!!!!!

Best
    John
    Freddie H
    Max Output Level: -39 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3617
    Re:WHY IS SONAR NOT THE INDUSTRY STANDARD??? 2009/08/21 18:59:45 (permalink)
      The Truth!

What a bull crap! If you know something you will get SONAR or Cubase. The major studios has already start converting/dropping Pro Tools HD and Logic and start using SONAR or Cubase /Nuendo instead, because of the audio quality and Native 64bit processing.

1. Pro Tools HD dropping users everyday, actually as we speak... that ship going under so if you not in neck & feet of water... leave the ship right now before it really going under!!
    even the new Pro Tools 8HD are still in 32bit, all professional users screaming WHY 32bit? WE WANT 64bit!! period!!, didn't actually help.. what major flop that has been.

Pro Tools 8 HD is = the biggest Crash DAW from hell too. Even TDM crash. People has invest so much $$$$$ money in Pro Tools/Digidesign hardware so that's why many still holding back making the move. End of the day, best thing to do, jump in the rescue boats and its called SONAR and CUBASE. Drop WAVES crap too in the same run;)

2. I have always love Logic! I was probable one of the first users start using it, but when apple bought EMAGIC, that boat start to sink slowly too...Still, LOGIC 9 in 32bit... guess what all professional LOGIC users ask? Yes, exactly the same questions Pro tools users ask; WHY 32bit, WE WANT 64bit!! period!!, didn't actually help either.. so that gives you----> SONAR and CUBASE (Nuendo).
      3. Some other thread said Propellerhead new 32bit DAW software are getting popular, Yeah right, no I don't think so...in fact, after they didn't evolve like many others that have loose in sell every year.. (numbers never lie) ,still many ask the same question at Propellerhead forums, WHY are your stuff only in 32bit? WE WANT 64bit!! period!!

This is the truth what ever you like or not! Many major studios today in US and EU has converted and use SONAR or Cubase / Nuendo because it sounds better and its Native 64bit and that is not the story about Pro Tools.  
      I can guarantee you all! I'm always fast adapting to new technology and I wouldn't use SONAR 8, 64bit if not that was the best right now!
      Check the Video and get the fact straight!
      [link=http://blog.cakewalk.com/live-from-siggraph-09-intel-interviews-carl-jacobson-noel-borthwick-on-processor-optimizations-for-music-production/]http://blog.cakewalk.com/...-for-music-production/[/link]

Regards
      Freddie
      post edited by Freddie H - 2009/08/21 19:28:25

-Highly developed spirits often encounter resistance from mediocre minds. -It really matters!
      j boy
      • Total Posts : 2729
      Re:WHY IS SONAR NOT THE INDUSTRY STANDARD??? 2009/08/21 19:36:12 (permalink)
      Freddie, in a pro studio environment there's usually separate rigs for VSTi's, sometimes a dedicated composers room, etc.  They don't try and do everything on the main PT HD rig.  
      Zonno
      Max Output Level: -71 dBFS
      • Total Posts : 999
      Re:WHY IS SONAR NOT THE INDUSTRY STANDARD??? 2009/08/21 19:37:34 (permalink)
      BMOG

............ a PC cannot compare.  He said a PC can't compete, he said ..........

Mac is not about being rational, it's about thinking that you are cool!!!
      This is an incrowd thing. You should want to belong there.
      In the end Í am very much like him.
      If you would know what car I am driving......
      post edited by Zonno - 2009/08/21 19:44:37

Cakewalk, Reason 10, KOMPLETE 11, BIAB 2018, Roland OctaCapture, Finale 26, PCR-300, HP ZBook, Guitars 
      Page: 12345.. > >> Showing page 1 of 6
      Jump to:
      © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1