Helpful ReplyWhat I miss so far in Studio One.

Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 3 of 6
Author
danevaz
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 36
Re: What I miss so far in Studio One. 2017/12/10 17:12:56 (permalink)
werewindle
Just completed drum map for SD3 (AD2 was already available) and will be uploading to presonus exchange in next few days, also working on some of the virtual instruments by Ample Sound.

Hi,

I'm demoing S13.5.4.  I can't find a mapping for AD2.  Could you please share where you found it/downloaded it from?
Thanks,

Danny V.
Maarkr
Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 488
Re: What I miss so far in Studio One. 2017/12/10 17:52:43 (permalink)
Had to try it... dl'd the current version of S13.  
I started using Acid 2, i think it was '99, then moved to Acid Pro, Cubase (up to ver 4), Reason, Reaper, then Sonar.  After playing with it for a day or two, I noticed it was pretty snappy, loading my vsts etc.  I like to mess with loops, and it worked well with massaging them.  I liked the fact that I can drag a VSTi to the track and it loads right up.  Some things are intuitive, and others need learning for this software.  I liked the fact that there are many vids out there and my google search for any questions I had showed a solution.  I don't need an ultra-high-end DAW, but I want one that I can do pro-level in-depth editing, recording, rendering, midi editing, and run all of my plugs and instruments... I liked the project feature for mastering as well, altho I haven't tried it. 
I may bite the bullet and get it for backup, but I know that when I finally pull the trigger, Sonar will probably be resurrected in some form.
Sonar will prob stay my primary... I have tried Mixcraft (didn't like it so much), and haven't been able to load Samplitude.  Cubase is pro but too quirky for me.

I just noticed that JRR shop has the crossgrade to v3 for $126 U.S.  They want a screenshot of Sonar serial.  I tried to buy it but it would not process it.  Maybe they must approve the Sonar ownership before the sale?   or I've heard they are having internet issues.  And others have an upgrade to v3.5???? is that the latest?   
post edited by Maarkr - 2017/12/10 18:24:16

Maarkr
Studio: SPALT Lifetime/BL Cakewalk, Studio One 3.5, UAD, Z3ta+2, IKM, NI, Waves, iZotope, Melda, Reaper
i7 3770/Giga Z77 mobo, Win10 Pro-64 w16Gb, MOTU Ultralite MK4, Yamaha HS80M wSub, Live: PX-5S, FA-06, Roland Lucina, Epi Les Paul, Ibanez Bass, Amps, e-drums, Zoom R-16...
Latest album release, NEW! Counry Classic at http://genemaarkr.bandcamp.com/
Jeff Evans
Max Output Level: -24 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5139
Re: What I miss so far in Studio One. 2017/12/11 01:40:17 (permalink)
RSMCGUITAR
Hey Jeff,
You seem like the resident expert on metering. I'm wondering your thoughts on the Presonus VU meter add-on?

Its OK and certainly worth downloading for free for sure.  There are a few things though. It only has -12 and -18 and -6 as the reference levels which is sort of OK but does not include the K System -14 and -20 ref levels. The ballistic is not great either and it does not move anything like a real VU meter or even the Waves VU which has one of the nicest ballistics around right now for a virtual plugin.

But the Presonus meter does open up in the track view which is rather good in fact. It gives you this nice little thumbnail and you can see it in the mixer.  There is a way to make it move close to the -14 ref level.  By selecting the -6 ref level and setting the sensitivity control to around 11 o clock.  What happens when you do this is the needle moves around and up to 0dB VU on a -14 ref music signal so it is sort of showing the correct level. But with a -14 dB FS sine wave line up tone however it will read something like -7 so it is not accurate in that mode.  There are plenty of other meters such as the Klanghelm and the Waves VU that will line up correctly with a sinewave ref level and show the right ballistic.

But for its ability to open in the mixer it is great for planting on tracks and buses etc and you can keep a good check of your music levels in those positions of your production. And see them real easy in the mixer.

Another great thing about all the Presonus stock plugins is that too. They can all open up into little thumbnails in the mixer and you can see enormous amounts of visual info on each track etc..

Specs i5-2500K 3.5 Ghz - 8 Gb RAM - Win 7 64 bit - ATI Radeon HD6900 Series - RME PCI HDSP9632 - Steinberg Midex 8 Midi interface - Faderport 8- Studio One V4 - iMac 2.5Ghz Core i5 - Sierra 10.12.6 - Focusrite Clarett thunderbolt interface 

Poor minds talk about people, average minds talk about events, great minds talk about ideas -Eleanor Roosevelt
werewindle
Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 214
Re: What I miss so far in Studio One. 2017/12/11 19:06:25 (permalink)
danevaz
werewindle
Just completed drum map for SD3 (AD2 was already available) and will be uploading to presonus exchange in next few days, also working on some of the virtual instruments by Ample Sound.

Hi,

I'm demoing S13.5.4.  I can't find a mapping for AD2.  Could you please share where you found it/downloaded it from?
Thanks,

Danny V.

Apologies missed this one
http://exchange.presonus.com/bae/showLogin.action

Once account set up just search for AD2

Sonar: Platinum & Studio One 3
Production PC: Intel i7-6950x 10 cores (20 processors) CPU @ 3.00GHz (with overclock to 3.60GHz), RAM 64GB, Windows 10 - 64 bit, Sound Blaster ZxR Pro, Dual Nvidia GTX1080 with 2 widescreen Monitors
MIDI: Akai Advance 49, Roland A-500Pro, Akai MPD230, Softube Console 1, Akai EWI USB, Roli Seaboard 25
Instruments: Martin D12X1AE Dreadnought - 12 string, Martin Ed Sheeran X Signature Edition, Fender Standard Precision-Bass Black MN, Gibson Custom Shop EDS-1275 Cherry (12 & 6 string dual)
danevaz
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 36
Re: What I miss so far in Studio One. 2017/12/11 20:35:48 (permalink)
Thank You - found it!
paulo
Max Output Level: -13 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 6218
Re: What I miss so far in Studio One. 2017/12/11 20:59:07 (permalink)
I've just spent an hour trying to "transform" (which I assume = freeze in sonar) an AD2 instrument track using midi clips from AD2 and every time once it is done there is no audio. It plays just fine beroehand, but will not "freeze". If I input extra midi notes via keyboard it "transforms" (hate that term) them but ignores the AD2 midi clips. Obviously I'm missing something........

I also can't figure out how to loop the AD2 midi clips (Ctrl+L in sonar) and drag them out for however long. All I was able to do was duplicate the clips several times along the track to achieve this but it seems like a very clunky way of doing it. Am I missing something else...?
rj davis
Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 141
Re: What I miss so far in Studio One. 2017/12/12 00:04:43 (permalink)
I miss DIM SOLO, but will get over it, I guess.  I missed speed comping for a while, but came up with a workaround that is as fast, maybe faster...

Ron
Windows 10
Sonar Platinum
i7-5700K 4.0 GHz StudioCat ProStudio (monster)
RME Babyface Pro
Mackie MCU Pro
Neumann TLM49
Too many guitars...
sonarman1
Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 255
Re: What I miss so far in Studio One. 2017/12/12 07:14:26 (permalink)
There is no Numeric peak meters in channels. plugins will only show prefader meter. Its really inconvenient, how do you balance the dry wet signals? I mean, if I do some processing and wanna bypass and try to hear the difference without any change in level, I usually see the peak value in the numeric meter in sonar and then if the peak value has increased to lets say a 1.6db I decrease the output of my plugins 1.6db. Its a bit hard to deal with without the numeric meter. 
post edited by sonarman1 - 2017/12/12 07:42:12
Jeff Evans
Re: What I miss so far in Studio One. 2017/12/12 07:30:38 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby sonarman1 2017/12/12 07:57:04
Just move the mouse cursor over the channel/track meter while the music plays and leave it there.  A numeric readout appears. 
Track/channel meters are post fader.  Pull the fader down to - inf and observe. No signal on the meter.

Specs i5-2500K 3.5 Ghz - 8 Gb RAM - Win 7 64 bit - ATI Radeon HD6900 Series - RME PCI HDSP9632 - Steinberg Midex 8 Midi interface - Faderport 8- Studio One V4 - iMac 2.5Ghz Core i5 - Sierra 10.12.6 - Focusrite Clarett thunderbolt interface 

Poor minds talk about people, average minds talk about events, great minds talk about ideas -Eleanor Roosevelt
sonarman1
Re: What I miss so far in Studio One. 2017/12/12 07:38:13 (permalink)
I liked the fact that I can drag a VSTi to the track and it loads right up. 

Sonar could do the same(In the latest versions) additionally in sonar you could also just double click and the instrument loads right away. S1 doesnt do this. I find the double click more convenient than click and drag. 

Is there anything equal to sonar's plugin upsampling in S1?

Is there a way to place the bus channels to the right near to the master bus?

Also sonar's smart tool was much better. In midi editor the smart tool doesnt help in velocity editing, not a big deal but just that in sonar it was much better. 

Pressing SHIFT+F3 expands the console view yet wont show sends. This was also much better in Sonar while pressing SHIFT+D.

Not a big deal all these but just that it was much better in sonar although there are a few things which are much better in S1.

Another thing I noticed is selecting multiple tracks. You just click drag with mouse in Sonar to select multiple tracks. This is a pain in S1 you have to use Shift or Ctrl key.
sonarman1
Re: What I miss so far in Studio One. 2017/12/12 07:40:03 (permalink)

Just move the mouse cursor over the channel/track meter while the music plays and leave it there.  A numeric readout appears. 

Is that so, if so great. I will check. Thanks for the help.

Jeff Evans
Re: What I miss so far in Studio One. 2017/12/12 07:52:54 (permalink)
Pre fader metering is achieved by inserting either the free Presonus VU meter in the inserts. And then open the meter as per this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C3G6YP5TZ_A&t=57s

Or you can also insert the level meter there too and when you expand it you get just the numeric readout. Double click on it and you see the whole meter.

Remember you can select multiple tracks and insert the same plugin on all of them at once.

The mixer can be set so sends and inserts can be seen all at once i.e. vertically. This is great on a second screen too. Buses can be set so they can be moved around anywhere or they all go down to the right automatically.

The shift key method of selecting multiple tracks is fine. Or Press number 2 (not on the numeric keypad) in order get the range tool. The in the arrange window just select over all the tracks you are interested in one quick swipe. All the corresponding tracks will be selected at once. Press number 1 (not on numeric) to get back  to the pointer tool or select tool.

This is all 101 stuff and you are just not putting the work in order to find all this out.

sonarman1
Re: What I miss so far in Studio One. 2017/12/12 08:41:43 (permalink)

The shift key method of selecting multiple tracks is fine. Or Press number 2 (not on the numeric keypad) in order get the range tool. The in the arrange window just select over all the tracks you are interested in one quick swipe. All the corresponding tracks will be selected at once. Press number 1 (not on numeric) to get back  to the pointer tool or select tool.

This is all 101 stuff and you are just not putting the work in order to find all this out.

Rather the makers of studio one are not putting the work to have the smart tool automatically change to range tool in certain places atleast in the track list. Or even better implemented in Sonar where you can swipe in certain region in the tracks and channels to select the tracks in both track view and console view. This should be present in S1 atleast in the track list of arranger and mixer, but it doesn't. Even to select just 2 tracks you gotta get your hands on the keyboard or in someother way by changing the tools. Can be done in a fraction of a sec in Sonar. Forget abt the sec, its rather smooth in Sonar. May be I'm just bragging abt sonar, but there are things to brag about.   
Jeff Evans
Re: What I miss so far in Studio One. 2017/12/12 09:13:33 (permalink)
I agree a full smart tool would be good but there is another option.  Look top left to the tools and check out the select tool or arrow tool. Note the little triangle bottom right. You can select an alternate tool there. So on PC when you hold down the CtrL button your arrow tool changes quickly into the alternate tool selected e.g. range tool. It only stays that way while you hold CtrL down. So it is a quick way to go from arrow tool to select tool. Select something or a range or a group of tracks. (even if there is no audio on them) then let go and you back to the arrow tool.

Not as good as a full smart tool but damn handy though. So if you want to do a lot of cutting say you can go from the arrow tool to the knife etc. and back. Just select the knife tool as the alternate instead.

Remember Sonar is 30 years old and Studio One about 7 years old.  Sonar was nothing like this at 7! Imagine it at 30! 

Smart tool may be in future  update.  When they do a smart tool it will be good I am sure of it.  Just out of interest the tool does change according to its position automatically when editing automation. i.e. it does different things depending on it being in the top or bottom half.

Another little thing too. If your mouse has a mouse wheel if you hold it down the tool box will pop up too. Very easy to slide over to the tool of interest and let it go. New tool selected. 
post edited by Jeff Evans - 2017/12/12 20:53:34

Tom B
  • Total Posts : 107
Re: What I miss so far in Studio One. 2017/12/12 09:14:58 (permalink)
sonarman1

Is that so, if so great. I will check. Thanks for the help.

Also, right-clicking on the channel meter (console view) will display the options to enable "VU Hold" and a choice of hold times.  This adds a small marker line at the peaks on the meter.  I believe the default setting doesn't do a hold.  Perhaps "Peak Hold" would be more accurate wording for the menu.  No big deal as it gives the peak value as expected. 

- Tom B.
See the new Cakewalk by Bandlab Forum - Jan 2019.
Jeff Evans
Re: What I miss so far in Studio One. 2017/12/12 09:19:37 (permalink)
VU hold has to be selected as well in order for my above post to work e.g. putting the mouse cursor over the meter and getting a reading.

sonarman1
Re: What I miss so far in Studio One. 2017/12/12 09:56:25 (permalink)
Yes, I just checked with VU hold enabled I could see both Left and Right peak values. Sufficient enough for me 
Jeff Evans
Re: What I miss so far in Studio One. 2017/12/12 10:23:38 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby mkerl 2017/12/12 10:58:11
Great!  When you have two screens connected you can put the entire mixer on one screen e.g. the left one in my case.  Then switch the mixer into full vertical mode with the inserts at the top and the sends underneath. Note you can alter the height of the faders and also set the borders between inserts and sends anywhere.

When you do this you can pop the Presonus VU meter in the inserts etc and open the meter (expand) Then you can actually see the meters which is rather cool.  This only works with Presonus plugins for the moment. 

I am not a big fan of the single screen with the mixer below. You can also put the mixer into vertical mode but then you are loosing screen real estate for the arrange window above.  If you make the mixer small again then you have to click on the triangle to expose the inserts and sends to the right.  I find then things can get a little cluttered if you have many of them open at once.

There is a little trick for those who like the Pro Tools approach to switching screens.

* Set up a normal arrange window with the mixer below (not extended vertically) i.e. you are not seeing inserts and sends at  all.

* Undock the mixer now. (by clicking on that arrow pointing to 2 o clock at top left of the mixer window only) Mixer will now pop out.

* Click on the maximise icon top right of the popped out mixer window. Mixer will now fill the screen.

* Pressing F3 now alternates between a full mixer in vertical mode and the arrange window. Just like in Pro Tools

* To go back to normal while the mixer window is visible just re-dock it again. (by clicking the attach icon top right that is pointing to 8 o clock.

All goes back to before.

This is good for the single screen users who want to see a full mixer window in full vertical mode. And who don't mind only seeing either of these windows at a time.

These are the types of tips that are very common in Studio One Expert. They are putting little videos and things up there all the time. Well worth while just keeping an eye on that site.  I have picked up some real gems from there.  Many of the videos are still available to see.

pwalpwal
Max Output Level: -43 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3249
Re: What I miss so far in Studio One. 2017/12/12 12:04:15 (permalink)
Jeff Evans
I am not a big fan of the single screen with the mixer below. You can also put the mixer into vertical mode but then you are loosing screen real estate for the arrange window above.

i find my self grab/dragging the top of the mixer a fair bit (lovely gui scaling!) as well as hitting F3 to toggle it

just a sec

Jeff Evans
Re: What I miss so far in Studio One. 2017/12/12 12:11:27 (permalink)
Making the faders quite tall is great for very fine and detailed adjustments.  

I also use the Faderport 1 which also makes tweaking things super easy.  It actually provides a lot of control for such a small footprint thing.

The new Faderport 8 /16 are quite excellent and allow for some pretty deep integration into Studio One.  There are now 4 Presonus hardware controllers now which can now control Studio One. 

Don't forget the free app for iOS and also Windows tablets that are great also for remote control. I can record myself playing drums from a completely separate room to the control room computer running Studio One.  All from an iPad. It looks great and allows you to pretty well do everything. And if you have got one of their new Presonus interfaces (such as the Quantum) you can remote control the Mic Pres too.

pwalpwal
Max Output Level: -43 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3249
Re: What I miss so far in Studio One. 2017/12/12 12:37:02 (permalink)
Jeff Evans
Don't forget the free app for iOS and also Windows tablets that are great also for remote control.

yes! i've only just started playing with this, took a while to realise it needs to be on the same subnet!

just a sec

mkerl
Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 190
Re: What I miss so far in Studio One. 2017/12/12 22:12:41 (permalink)
Jeff Evans

Don't forget the free app for iOS and also Windows tablets that are great also for remote control. 

I can't find a download link for Windows. AppLe / Google, that's it. Or do I need a Surface Tablet?

BTW - thanks for sharing your tremendous knowledge of S1. Lot to learn :) :) 

Cheers

Nothing to do but playing (Ch. Parker)
Jeff Evans
Re: What I miss so far in Studio One. 2017/12/12 22:36:33 (permalink)
There was a link and there was a Windows version too but I must say it does not seem be there.  I might post a thread about it in the forum and get back to you.  I think it runs very nice on the iPad though.  The aspect ratio of the iPad also really suits the iOS version too. 

Glad to help as well with Studio One.  sonarman1  has been instrumental in this by asking questions too.  I must say I have learned a thing or two myself just doing the research on finding the answers for him.

Tom B
Re: What I miss so far in Studio One. 2017/12/13 00:34:01 (permalink)
Thanks Jeff E. and others for sharing all the tips. So far, I've spent about 40-50 hours with S1 in demo mode, and still learning. 

I tried out the Studio One iPad remote app last week. The setup was easy. Simply run S1, start the iPad app, and scan for the connection. There is accessibility to the console view, tracks, effects, and other views.  In addition, there's a command button view on the iPad with dozens of shortcut buttons (e.g. transport controls, markers, loops, and more).  Also, note pwalpwal's post above about the iPad and DAW needing to be on the same subnet. 

- Tom B.
Jeff Evans
Re: What I miss so far in Studio One. 2017/12/13 02:53:54 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby mkerl 2017/12/13 03:32:43
mkerl

I can't find a download link for Windows. AppLe / Google, that's it. Or do I need a Surface Tablet?

Cheers

OK found it. You must have a fully registered version of Studio One and have an account. The Windows installer in there. Check in My Products/Software/Studio One 3 Professional/View More Details

Scroll down to Extra Downloads. It will be there. With Melodyne Essentials etc..

Make sure you are looking at Windows versions of Studio One as well which I assume you are.

I have a Mac as well and because I was looking at Mac versions it was not there but as soon as I changed back to Windows it showed up.

mkerl
Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 190
Re: What I miss so far in Studio One. 2017/12/13 03:04:22 (permalink)
Jeff Evans
mkerl

Cheers

OK found it. You must have a fully registered version of Studio One and have an account. The Windows installer in there. Check in My Products/Software/Studio One 3 Professional/View More Details

Scroll down to Extra Downloads. It will be there. With Melodyne Essentials etc..

Make sure you are looking at Windows versions of Studio One as well which I assume you are.

I have a Mac as well and because I was looking at Mac versions it was not there but as soon as I changed back to Windows it showed up.

Yeah, I got It.
Thank's a lot, that's really kind of you. 
I just downloaded it, got to check it out now.
Again, Thank you !!! :) :)

All the best

Cheers :) :)

Nothing to do but playing (Ch. Parker)
Tom B
Re: What I miss so far in Studio One. 2017/12/16 01:49:25 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby synkrotron 2017/12/23 09:24:53
Does Studio One  (S1) have an equivalent of the SONAR "Aux Track" ?    

This  S1 vs SONAR comparison  shows that S1 doesn't have "Patch Points".  I believe SONAR's  Aux Tracks and Patch Points are subtle variations of the same feature (i.e. an existing track can be used as an input to record to another track).  Unfortunately, this likely implies S1 doesn't have an equivalent to Aux Tracks.

- Tom B.
abacab
Max Output Level: -30.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4464
Re: What I miss so far in Studio One. 2017/12/16 03:01:13 (permalink)
Tom B

This  S1 vs SONAR comparison  shows that S1 doesn't have "Patch Points".  I believe SONAR's  Aux Tracks and Patch Points are subtle variations of the same feature (i.e. an existing track can be used as an input to record to another track).  Unfortunately, this likely implies S1 doesn't have an equivalent to Aux Tracks.

I'm still learning my way around S1, but I imagine that there is an answer in the S1 Reference Manual somewhere under the category of "busses"...

DAW: CbB; Sonar Platinum, and others ... 
mikedocy
Max Output Level: -67 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1157
Re: What I miss so far in Studio One. 2017/12/16 04:54:54 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby synkrotron 2017/12/23 09:25:14
Tom B

SOP's audio tracks can be routed and recorded just like Sonar's aux tracks.
So yes, it has the equivalent of Sonar's aux tracks.
The audio tracks in SOP have all the routing capabilities built-in. There is no need to have a separate "aux track".

Tell us specifically what you like to do with aux tracks in Sonar and I will tell you if it is possible to do the same thing in SOP.
Most likely, it is possible to do anything in SOP that aux tracks did in Sonar.

post edited by mikedocy - 2017/12/16 05:49:05
Tom B
Re: What I miss so far in Studio One. 2017/12/16 06:39:14 (permalink)
mikedocy
Tom B

SOP's audio tracks can be routed and recorded just like Sonar's aux tracks.
So yes, it has the equivalent of Sonar's aux tracks.
The audio tracks in SOP have all the routing capabilities built-in. There is no need to have a separate "aux track".

Tell us specifically what you like to do with aux tracks in Sonar and I will tell you if it is possible to do the same thing in SOP.
Most likely, it is possible to do anything in SOP that aux tracks did in Sonar.

Mike,

Thanks for offering to help out with my understanding of Studio One Pro (SOP).

Here's a fairly simple test case in SONAR --  maybe it's a bit contrived but easy to explain:
- Create a reverb bus.
- On some audio channels, create sends and apply effects to the reverb bus.
- Of course, on playback, the audio tracks will play and reverb will be heard.
Using an "Aux Track", the reverb bus can be recorded to an audio track as follows:
- On the reverb bus output select, "New Aux Track".  This creates an audio track labeled "Aux1"
- Record enable the  "Aux1"  track and hit record.  BTW, the track can have an arbitrary name.

The result is that the reverb bus has now been recorded onto an audio track (Aux1).  This  is different from bouncing or rendering since the new audio track includes all the signals and effects from the bus. 

Just curious if this can be done similarly in SOP.   I probably should ask the question on the PreSonus forum where there's a topic for SONAR questions.

FYI for those new to S1: In SONAR, a common use for an Aux Track was to print the metronome to an audio track. Studio One has a feature to render the metronome to audio.  

- Tom B.
Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 3 of 6
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1