Helpful ReplyWhat Would Make DAWs (Not Just SONAR) Easier to Use?

Page: 12345.. > >> Showing page 1 of 8
Author
Anderton
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 14070
2017/06/08 15:46:12 (permalink)

What Would Make DAWs (Not Just SONAR) Easier to Use?

I started a thread over in my Sound, Studio, and Stage forum called Why Is Learning a DAW So Difficult? There were some really thoughtful responses, and it got me thinking this forum would be a good place to inquire about specifics on what could be done to make DAWs more approachable. Here's an excerpt from a comment from Nat Whilk I found interesting:

"There seems to be this floating expectation, out there drifting into brains all over the place, that, since computers are so "smart" that they should be able to make all tasks easy for us not-as-smart humans.

"The advertising that software makers employ has a lot to do with this. Plus the fact that, yes, some software has been getting better at being user-friendly, easier to pick up. Like phones, readers, browsers.

"But there are two paths to user-friendly. One path is to add features such as wizards, setup guides, step-by-step routines to give the user a solid intro and a base from which to then venture into more complex aspects. The other path is to just dumb the software down so that it does a whole lot less, offers the fewest choices possible, and claims it can get you where to need to go with no prior experience or education.

"The deal is that DAW users develop their own working methods and pretty much stick to those once they're up and running. Take 20 moderately competent DAW users and you have 20 different methodologies at work. So it would be hard to impose a grid of "do it this way" except at the very beginning of the process.

"Sound recording, mixing, and mastering is just complicated. Just do the work, I say - and no, software is not here to make everything easy for you. It's to give you tools to expand the effectiveness of your own skills. Not to make those skills unnecessary."

While I agree that recording quality music requires skill, I do think there must be ways to make it easier for people to get started. SONAR did the Add Track thing; I don't use it (I'm into Track Templates) so I don't know if it would be helpful to beginners...and they'd still have to know that "+" means "Add Track."

To get the ball rolling...I think one of the main difficulties is hooking up a DAW to an audio interface, particularly if the audio interface has a relatively sophisticated application of its own for routing and such. The only easy way I see to fix this is with companies that make both the software and the audio interface, but there are still issues the user would have to specify - like sample rate and bit resolution.

Or maybe when you boot up a DAW, there could be an optional screen with questions like "Do you play guitar and need a direct input?" "How many tracks do you need for mics?" and depending on your answer, what's needed would be created. Maybe there would be ways to enhance the Start screen to make it easier to get started.

Given that everyone here uses a DAW, and the skill level ranges from newb to expert, perhaps there are some good ideas just waiting to be implemented...but if this is a dumb idea for a thread, I'll just delete it :)

The first 3 books in "The Musician's Guide to Home Recording" series are available from Hal Leonard and http://www.reverb.com. Listen to my music on http://www.YouTube.com/thecraiganderton, and visit http://www.craiganderton.com. Thanks!
gswitz
Max Output Level: -18.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5694
Re: What Would Make DAWs (Not Just SONAR) Easier to Use? 2017/06/08 16:18:25 (permalink)
Gaming the learning helps.

Right now I'm thinking of how much I've learned from Syntorial.

Approaching it in bites helped me. I started only mixing with Sonar. I recorded on a different device. I still do sometimes.

StudioCat > I use Windows 10 and Sonar Platinum. I have a touch screen.
I make some videos. This one shows how to do a physical loopback on the RME UCX to get many more equalizer nodes.
Resonant Serpent
Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 463
Re: What Would Make DAWs (Not Just SONAR) Easier to Use? 2017/06/08 16:22:09 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby Deemusicman61 2017/06/08 20:05:25
For beginners, it would be better if they were shown the "why" along with the "how". Not just how to load up a compressor or parallel effects on a bus, but why you do it and the beginning and end results. Audio examples to go along with it so there's a basis for why you do things a certain way. I already know what I want to accomplish, so I can just watch the operational tutorials and be done with it. I feel sorry for anyone coming to the scene with little knowledge since there's a ton of good and bad information out there. One of the great things about learning to record in an actual studio, pre-internet, is that you quickly learn why you do it a certain way, and then you bend the rules at your discretion. Then again, these are tools, and all humans have a different basis for their perceptions and how they want them accomplished. Even a hammer is a simple tool that can be misused.

A deep chesty bawl echoes from rimrock to rimrock, rolls down the mountain, and fades into the far blackness of the night. It is an outburst of wild defiant sorrow, and of contempt for all the adversities of the world. - Aldo Leopold
einstein36
Max Output Level: -80 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 511
Re: What Would Make DAWs (Not Just SONAR) Easier to Use? 2017/06/08 17:02:35 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby Starise 2017/07/13 17:26:47
The only thing that pops into my mind I think would help any DAW software is the voice digital assistants that helps and guides you through complicated stuff, things like Alexa, etc... :)
You know sort of like Scotty from Star Trek, Hello, computer, Hello, Sonar :)

Twitter: ImagineerR
Facebook: www.facebook.com/einstein36

bitman
Max Output Level: -34 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4105
Re: What Would Make DAWs (Not Just SONAR) Easier to Use? 2017/06/08 17:21:14 (permalink)
The "problem" with DAWs is that it is a control room in a box.
Many individuals may not have fared well had you thrown them a guitar and locked them into an analog 48 track control room and left. Given an information resource in that room, they would eventually find out what all this stuff is and why and where everything is connected and used. Think gain staging for one.

One big nasty that doesn't exist in an analog control room that plagues a DAW is that need to crank up the buffer count and that track count mounts, introducing more and more  latency. This is because the computer runs out of steam. This then requires some knowledge of the how and why and some ingenuity to find away around that problem like separate synth computers and direct mic monitoring.

There is no real way to level out the learning curve whether you have been tossed your very own into a control room or buy your very own virtual one to have at home. Either way, it helps to be an engineer. That's why they were called such.

I for one think the DAW or studio in a box is the best thing since sliced bread. Having come from the patch bay analog world of yore.

bandso
Max Output Level: -83 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 361
Re: What Would Make DAWs (Not Just SONAR) Easier to Use? 2017/06/08 17:33:51 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby Starise 2017/07/13 17:27:12
Sometimes there are things that seem intuitive to the user, but the programmers just seem to disregard it and expect the user to do it their way. Not being able to draw midi with the pencil tool comes to mind. Having a midi note sent from a drum pad being listed on the piano roll as zero length length in the piano roll is another example (A played note's length is never ever zero, because I heard play through my speakers). Little things like this that are missed make the software hard to use and "seem stupid" instead of it being a streamlined and professional product.

Bandlab Platinum and every other toy I can get my hands on...and yes I'm way in debt over this obsession...
jeff oliver
Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 122
Re: What Would Make DAWs (Not Just SONAR) Easier to Use? 2017/06/08 17:46:44 (permalink)
Great question! I'm not sure "easy" and "powerful" belong in the same sentence. So you could dumb DAW's down not to do so much. Or perhaps using words instead of icons, so the "+" sign would say "add track". Maybe having a screen set that includes less options than it needs to perform that task. I mean like having a screen only for recording so it's less to "see". I don't know... I love sonar. An anti-crash button! ;)

HP pavilion i7 6gig ram
Windows 8.1 x64
HP 5500 onboard graphics
Focusrite 18i20 Sonar Platinum x64
telecharge
Max Output Level: -67 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1180
Re: What Would Make DAWs (Not Just SONAR) Easier to Use? 2017/06/08 17:50:31 (permalink)
People like to learn in different ways, so my recommendation would be to have various resources available like books, videos, and courses which follow a progression that goes from beginner to proficient.

For example, if you look at Sonar University's Get Started section, it's just a mish-mash of different videos with no progression or structure. It's the same with Cakewalk's YouTube channel. There's a playlist called SONAR Platinum - Get Started, but it's just a mix of "Get Started" videos for various features -- again with no progression or structure.

I also like the idea of interactive, assistive technologies when they're done well.
Markubl2
Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 299
Re: What Would Make DAWs (Not Just SONAR) Easier to Use? 2017/06/08 18:03:23 (permalink)
I read through the thread on HC before you posted it here.  I find myself with the same attitude of Nat - I want the big challenges up front.  I could have started with a two input interface, a simple keyboard, and Sonar artist.  But I didn't - I went right for the Focusrite 18i20, a full fledged keyboard workstation, and SPLAT.  Why?  Because I don't want to miss out on anything, and I love the challenge.  I love learning things, and "figuring things out."  The software, no matter how complex, does not intimidate me. 

I'm only one year into this.  I'm an IT guy who deals with software every day.  Some of the the things that may trip up a beginner (installs, interfaces, cabling, routing, etc) I resolved in a decent amount of time (along with some great help from this forum - see Thank You To This Forum).   None of those issues were deal breakers to me.  

Now admittedly, I have spent very little time with Sonar (most of my work this past year has been learning about midi, getting things set up, etc.), but I have watched some Groove 3 videos and some Sonar University videos.  Sonar itself does not intimidate me - the terminology I can learn, and I can figure out where to "point and click."  But I am totally lost in the recording process - I have no background in that at all.    For example, it is easy to add a track, set the routing, etc. But what does it mean?  If I have the same synth, but with different sounds I want to use in different places, do I add two tracks?  Why or why not?  Why would you use a Midi track vs. a VST track?  Should I record my Moog as audio, or use a Midi track and route to it?  Why?  I know how to add a plugin to a track, but what does that mean?  What does "bouncing a track" mean?  What is "comping"?   All the Groove 3 videos, Sonar University videos, and documentation do not really answer these questions.  This is NOT the fault of Cakewalk or Sonar, I would have the same questions no matter what the DAW I would use.  

I don't ask those questions to get answers here in this thread, but more to demonstrate what I am personally dealing with.  I have actually searched for a book on DAW recording for beginners, but the closest thing I could find was Home Recording for Musicians for Dummies.  I dutifully purchased and read it, but it was more focused on types of microphones, how to record a guitar, etc.

Resonant Serpent makes the same point I am trying to, only more succinctly.  He knows what he is looking to do - he just needs to know how to do it.  I have no idea what I need to do.  I also understand I am an outlier with my extreme lack of knowledge;  because I cannot (as yet) use Sonar is no fault of Cakewalk.  

I believe someone on this forum once made a suggestion of a video series on "how to create your first song."  Something simple with some audio, midi, and VST tracks that shows how to record, bounce (whatever that means), and a simple mix and export.  That would be extremely helpful.

As always, I have forever grateful to this forum for all the help I have been given over the past year.

azslow3
Max Output Level: -42.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3297
Re: What Would Make DAWs (Not Just SONAR) Easier to Use? 2017/06/08 18:15:59 (permalink)
In one our conference rooms there is a simple 8x6 matrix mixer, so 8*6 buttons, one knob per channel (8+6). There was no single week last years when no-one has made the system unusable (pressing "random" buttons and turning "random" knobs). I am still the only person who can make it running again from any "broken" state... ~200 scientists (plus tons of students), most of them are building own complicated experiments with 1000s of  generators, amplifiers, filters, etc. Yet they see 48 buttons and immediately write "conference system is broken". So my point number
1) force users read at least some part of the documentation or force them to watch video before they can start to work with the program. Better some "interactive" curse (most computer games have "training level" which should be completed to proceed, another example is Amazon FireTV stick)

I have shortly tried Ableton and Reaper. Now seriously in Tracktion. I think the last one is out of concurrence in installation for beginners, so my point number
2.I) it is possible to make things "sequentially logical". Project (with what you work) -> Settings (how you work) -> Input (from where comes the signal for) -> Track (content) -> FX (how it is processed) -> Output (where it should go) -> Transport (when all previous is set, it make sense to press "Play" or "Record"). From left top to right bottom.  Most intuitive  for (left to right languages) humans.
2.II) if user make a mistake, show him where it is and how to solve it

"All rounder" DAW is already complex by definition, artificial overcomplications can boil even technical heads, so examples from Sonar which better to AVOID:
3) (a) FXbin + ProChannel: no difference in routing, in sound, in purpose, not even in the code! just in the User Interface, and only "where" it appears and with which "size" (b) audio tracks, MIDI tracks, Instrument tracks, AUX tracks, Buses : historical division, bits are just bits in computers (c) "I have no sound from my MIDI keyboard, it was there yesterday!" common... just check your device in "Edit"->"Preferences"->"MIDI devices"... still no luck? have you already focused the track in question and restored in the lower left corner the "Input"?
And sorry to say, new user will find "Insert" -> "Audio track" before he/she will understand that "+" near time counter is there to make adding tracks simpler

Sonar 8LE -> Platinum infinity, REAPER, Windows 10 pro
GA-EP35-DS3L, E7500, 4GB, GTX 1050 Ti, 2x500GB
RME Babyface Pro (M-Audio Audiophile Firewire/410, VS-20), Kawai CN43, TD-11, Roland A500S, Akai MPK Mini, Keystation Pro, etc.
www.azslow.com - Control Surface Integration Platform for SONAR, ReaCWP, AOSC and other accessibility tools
dwardzala
Max Output Level: -61 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1470
Re: What Would Make DAWs (Not Just SONAR) Easier to Use? 2017/06/08 18:26:46 (permalink)
There's two things here - the how and the why.  The how is using DAW (tool).  For instance - how do I add a new track? or how do I edit in Melodyne?  Part of the learning curve for the how is identifying what button/icon/menu item does what.  Voice command is the next step in this evolution - to add an audio track - you say "Add audio track."  Terminology is key for this to work.

I would love to be able to sit 15 feet from my DAW keyboard/display and say "Start transport, record".  This would be differentiation in the market.

The why is much more complicated as this gets into the techniques of creating, recording and producing music. SOrt of the when do I use that (i.e. when do I use a compressor and what does it do?)   Unfortunately, experiential and/or tutorial learning is the only way to do this.  In the Abbey Roads and Record Plants, someone on their first day would never be asked to dial in a compressor, but that could very well be where the user is today.

Dave
Main Studio- Core i5 @2.67GHz, 16Gb Ram, (2) 500Gb HDs, (1) 360 Gb HD
MotU Ultralite AVB, Axiom 49 Midi Controller, Akai MPD18 Midi Controller
Win10 x64 Home
Sonar 2017.06 Platinum (and X3e, X2c, X1d)

Mobile Studio - Sager NP8677 (i7-6700HQ @2.67MHz, 16G Ram, 250G SSD, 1T HD)
M-Box Mini v. 2
Win 10 x64 Home
Sonar 2016.10 Platinum

Check out my original music:
https://soundcloud.com/d-wardzala/sets/d-wardzala-original-music

Rob[at]Sound-Rehab
Max Output Level: -47 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2819
Re: What Would Make DAWs (Not Just SONAR) Easier to Use? 2017/06/08 18:28:49 (permalink)
einstein36
The only thing that pops into my mind I think would help any DAW software is the voice digital assistants that helps and guides you through complicated stuff, things like Alexa, etc... :)
You know sort of like Scotty from Star Trek, Hello, computer, Hello, Sonar :)

no ...

Anderton
Or maybe when you boot up a DAW, there could be an optional screen with questions like "Do you play guitar and need a direct input?" "How many tracks do you need for mics?" and depending on your answer, what's needed would be created. Maybe there would be ways to enhance the Start screen to make it easier to get started.

and double no ...

these things are like the training wheels when learning to ride a bike ... they get really annoying/embarassing once you know you how to do it ... plus you can learn without, often quicker

like that "Add tracks" buttons which I have absolutely no use for as it does not cover all options you need to add tracks to a large project ... plus what's there in terms of standard features is quicker once you know (keyboard shortcuts, ctrl click routing, etc.) ... plus all of this is beaten by track templates ...

Resonant Serpent
For beginners, it would be better if they were shown the "why" along with the "how". Not just how to load up a compressor or parallel effects on a bus, but why you do it and the beginning and end results.

this is what I fully agree with!

bitman
Either way, it helps to be an engineer. That's why they were called such.

+1000 ... and bitman gets me started thinking, actually ...

Being an engineer by training I like to understand first, have all options in place and labelled intuitively and off I go - I work a virtual console plus a digital tape machine plus real and virtual gear that gets patched in. It all makes sense, I wouldn't want it any different. I even wouldn't want part of it hidden (that's why I never bother to use lense ... screenset are fine for me).

However, coming in from the creative side of it as a musician it must be a nightmare ... thousand clicks, complicated routing, buffers up/down, latency what???, oh damn I hear myself doubled again how did I fix that last time? oh no another crash ... so I reckon for musicians who want to be creative without having to care about the recording groundwork it would have to look different by design (Siri and Alexa would not be enough to walk you thru the mess you get yourself into if you don't know your way around) ... so there radically stripped lenses, which Cakewalk prepares for guitar heros, hardware synth tweakers, e-drummers, bass player in need for groove to jam along, etc might help ... yet, there must be tools/programs out there already which target this group.

lots of words - short conclusions: Cakewalk should stick to what it does best i.e. providing a very intuitive DAW which user can customize to their needs via RTFM et al. the learning afterall is part of the fun :-)

GOOD TUNES LAST FOREVER
  +++   Visit the Rehab   +++

DAW: Platinum/X3e, win10 64 bit, i7-3930K (6x3.2GHz), Asus Sabertooth X79, 32 GB DDR3 1600MHz, ATI HD 5450, 120 GB SSD OCZ Agility3, 2x 1TB WD HDD SATA 600
Audio-Interface: 2x MOTU 1248 AVB, Focusrite OctoPre, (Roland Octa-Capture)   Control-Surface: VS-700C 
VSTi: WAVES, NI K10u, FabFilter, IK, ... (too many really) 
Mack
Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 264
Re: What Would Make DAWs (Not Just SONAR) Easier to Use? 2017/06/08 18:42:43 (permalink)
The Sonar Groove3 Videos are excellent! They will get anyone up and running. I go back and review them often. I always pick up something I had overlooked or forgotten about.😎

Sonar Platinum 
Cakewalk BandLab  
Sony Sound Forge Pro 10
Garritan Personal Orchestra 5, Instant Orchestra  
MOTU Ultralite MK3 Hybrid
Windows 10/64  Intel i7 CPU, 16G RAM
Dual Screen Monitors 
ADK Pro Audio built Computer
Base 57
Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 249
Re: What Would Make DAWs (Not Just SONAR) Easier to Use? 2017/06/08 18:55:38 (permalink)
Even a tool as simple as a hammer requires practice to achieve an acceptable level of proficiency (and I have purpled up my thumb enough times to know I will never be a good carpenter).

To expect a tool as complex as SPLAT to be easy for a beginner to use is absurd. People with years of studio experience who expect SONAR to be more user-friendly should get the old 286 out of the garage and synch Cakewalk 5.0 up with the 3340. Remember how easy that was?

Musicianship requires study, practice and a dedication to craft that will always defy the desire for instant gratification. So my suggestion to help with the learning curve is to publish some kind of book full of tips. Or maybe a sticky thread with similar tips and tricks. Or possibly an online manual? Oh I know, how about a dedicated user forum where people can get help with using the current toolset.

I wish I had a more productive answer but thank you for bringing this up Craig. Sorry for the sarcasm, I didn't realize how much I was bothered by this subject until I read your OP.

While I'm at it let me also thank you for all of your contributions to the subject of music oriented technology. I don't believe there is any individual I have learned more from than you.
bapu
  • Total Posts : 86000
Re: What Would Make DAWs (Not Just SONAR) Easier to Use? 2017/06/08 19:25:56 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby ampfixer 2017/06/08 19:57:12
OK, I'm going to be little outside the box.

You to need to apply for a license to use the DAW of choice. Not the kind you think. Imagine it like a driving license.

First you have to pass a written test showing that you know the terminology of the DAW.
Second you have to pass an online test using the DAW in a real world situation (maybe by genre would be tre cool).
Then and only then will your DAW software be unlocked for use.

BONUS points. Learn how the DAW maker's forum works WRT to images etc.

bapu
  • Total Posts : 86000
Re: What Would Make DAWs (Not Just SONAR) Easier to Use? 2017/06/08 19:28:55 (permalink)
All of that may not make the DAW easier to use but it could make (this?) peer-to-peer support easier?
jimfogle
Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 463
Re: What Would Make DAWs (Not Just SONAR) Easier to Use? 2017/06/08 19:46:20 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby abacab 2017/06/08 23:44:21
All DAWs I've seen suffer from the same issue, an assumption the user is familiar with recording, mixing or live sound.  Many beginners have no background so buying an interface, samples or a daw is their entry into the digital recording world.

To me every DAW should strive to identify basic tasks their user might want to do and then make those tasks drop dead simple for the user to discover 1) what the task is, 2) how to perform the task and 3) get usable results.  Ideally the software should monitor what mistakes the user makes and adapt to the way the user works, not the way the software works.

The industry needs to standardize basic functions like set up an interface, arm a track for recording, set up a midi instrument track, cut, copy and paste data and so on.

One thing that amazes me is how much every daw pretty much assumes the same starting pint for a project is tracking.  There are people that NEVER record tracks but instead import prerecorded audio or midi tracks or even samples.  They remix existing material.  These people don't need help setting up an audio interface, they don't need help setting up a midi input, they need to know how to import material.  How can the software make it easy people like this start a project?  Why can't the software learn user habits enough to understand what the user normally wants to do?  At the same time how can the software help people that wish to use a daw in the more traditional manner?

I would really like to see software better adapt to tasks.
post edited by jimfogle - 2017/06/09 19:06:35

Jim F
Cakewalk by Bandlab (CbB)
Sonar Home Studio V23.9.0 build 32
Music Creator 6
Band-in-a-Box, Audacity, ChordPulse
Win 7, i3 cpu, 8Gig ram, 480 Gig Dell Laptop
http://fogle622.wix.com/fogle622-audio-home

fireberd
Max Output Level: -38 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3704
Re: What Would Make DAWs (Not Just SONAR) Easier to Use? 2017/06/08 19:55:48 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby dwardzala 2017/06/08 21:44:35
One item, maybe for Sonar, is the control surfaces.  Sonar does not automatically detect and setup, for example my Behringer X-Touch (or the BCF2000 that it replaced) or Frontier Tranzport.  They are detected but not automatically setup for use.  I have a basic version of Studio One 3 and it automatically detects and sets up my control surfaces, I don't need to do any manual setup.  This is something any DAW should do.

"GCSG Productions"
Franklin D-10 Pedal Steel Guitar (primary instrument). Nashville Telecaster, Bass, etc. 
ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero M/B, i7 6700K CPU, 16GB Ram, SSD and conventional hard drives, Win 10 Pro and Win 10 Pro Insider Pre-Release
Sonar Platinum/CbB. MOTU 896MK3 Hybrid, Tranzport, X-Touch, JBL LSR308 Monitors,  
Ozone 5,  Studio One 4.1
ISRC Registered
Member of Nashville based R.O.P.E. Assn.
ampfixer
Max Output Level: -20 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5508
Re: What Would Make DAWs (Not Just SONAR) Easier to Use? 2017/06/08 19:56:12 (permalink)
This is a great thread idea. I hope somebody actually pays attention to it. As I see it:

Most DAW's do too much and become a bloated, confusing mass of menus. I find that it's harder to learn when there are numerous ways to do the same thing. Flexibility is nice, but sometimes there's too many features and options. I really feel that the addition of new features happens too often, and we all know about the unintended consequences that pop up in what seem to be unrelated areas of the program.

Another thing that would be good is software that works as documented. Workarounds annoy experienced users and can be very offputing to a novice. It's hard to learn when you follow the instructions and things don't work as described. I would guess that most Sonar users don't come to the forums for help, and most software doesn't have a forum to turn to. Cakewalk is using their user base as a primary means of customer support, so the quality of that support can't be controlled.

Working on a DAW is like accessing a huge recording studio through the keyhole in the front door. A tiny little window through which you have to manage hundreds of thousands of dollars worth of equipment. It shouldn't be too hard.Too much energy gets expended just getting around and learning the complex system, while creative energy gets blown off. 

Regards, John 
 I want to make it clear that I am an Eedjit. I have no direct, or indirect, knowledge of business, the music industry, forum threads or the meaning of life. I know about amps.
WIN 10 Pro X64, I7-3770k 16 gigs, ASUS Z77 pro, AMD 7950 3 gig,  Steinberg UR44, A-Pro 500, Sonar Platinum, KRK Rokit 6 
bluzdog
Max Output Level: -56 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1928
Re: What Would Make DAWs (Not Just SONAR) Easier to Use? 2017/06/08 20:14:56 (permalink)
I came to Sonar because I purchased the Roland Studio pack that came with Logic. The learning curve was huge. After days of frustration trying to get up and recording on a pc I found out that Logic had gone to Mac only. Sonar 1 came recommended so I installed it. It took a while to get set up but it was way more intuitive. The manual was a big book and was incredibly helpful. I think an easy searchable, up to date FAQ tab would do it for me.

Rocky

rabeach
Max Output Level: -48 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2703
Re: What Would Make DAWs (Not Just SONAR) Easier to Use? 2017/06/08 20:16:35 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby Starise 2017/07/13 17:30:02
voice control
tlw
Max Output Level: -49.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2567
Re: What Would Make DAWs (Not Just SONAR) Easier to Use? 2017/06/08 20:52:09 (permalink)
rabeach
voice control

Just be careful about the lyrics......

Personally I find Siri, Cortana and their like both useless and annoying. Though I have taught both lots of interesting new words they didn't know while trying to get them to do something pretty basic. Out of the two I prefer Siri, "she" at least can be terminated and once off stays off.

Sonar Platinum 64bit, Windows 8.1 Pro 64bit, I7 3770K Ivybridge, 16GB Ram, Gigabyte Z77-D3H m/board,
ATI 7750 graphics+ 1GB RAM, 2xIntel 520 series 220GB SSDs, 1 TB Samsung F3 + 1 TB WD HDDs, Seasonic fanless 460W psu, RME Fireface UFX, Focusrite Octopre.
Assorted real synths, guitars, mandolins, diatonic accordions, percussion, fx and other stuff.
Sheanes
Max Output Level: -77 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 684
Re: What Would Make DAWs (Not Just SONAR) Easier to Use? 2017/06/08 21:01:30 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby jimfogle 2017/06/13 19:30:32
personally wished all the software (Daw and plugins/instruments etc) were simular in how you use them.
fe take Windows/Microsoft programs....if you can use 1 fe Microsoft Word you'll find the same functions/controls in most other Microsoft software so if you know 1 you'll learn to use the next easier/faster.
If all Daws / plugins had implemented this standard people like me could use them easier.
Doing 1 specific task requires the user to do follow different steps in almost each Daw/Vst...even in different vst's from the same manufacturer.
interpolated
Max Output Level: -74 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 830
Re: What Would Make DAWs (Not Just SONAR) Easier to Use? 2017/06/08 21:29:46 (permalink)
Well to be frank..you should really buy into the level you're at. Hobbyist, Music artist or Professional to start with. All the DAW software I have used have a learning curve.

Acid Pro was the easiest to learn and Reason at a close second.

Cubase is a bit of a headscratcher at first but great once you get to grips.
I tried Samplitude which is great but not exactly the easiest for a beginner to comprehend. 
Sonar took me a while because I had to change my ways of routing however when I tried out Cubase again recently I found the whole routing thing a bit confusing now.

Bottom line is, learn your tools thoroughly instead of trying to be master of everything.

I have computer stuff.

https://soundcloud.com/sigmadelta
tlw
Max Output Level: -49.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2567
Re: What Would Make DAWs (Not Just SONAR) Easier to Use? 2017/06/08 21:31:17 (permalink)
Thinking back I came to the engineering side of things back when I was a student in the early 80s. I managed to talk my way into helping out with the people who did sound for the student union gigs. Learn a bit about live sound, earn a bit and get to see bands for free, what's not to like? Other than heaving around the huge PA bins and 4x12 stacks of the time. But you can do that stuff when you're young.

So I learned my way around a mixer, gain, eq and stuff like that. Which made using a cassette portastudio easy.

My first experience with DAWs was based round that. Not too difficult getting stuff tracked, and access to a range of (virtual) equipment only high-budget studios had in any quantity which I then had to get my head around, but previous experience helped a lot.

In other words, a gradual learning process over years as technology changed. What I could not and can not do is be a real sound engineer of the kind who can whip up a suitably customised Baxendale eq circuit or a programmer who can code a software equivalent. Fortunately I don't need to be.

For an absolute beginner with no prior knowledge the learning curve when they first run a DAW is somewhere between steep and vertical. Apple have tried to make it easier, and to some extent have succeeded. Core Audio/MIDI is easier to deal with than picking the right ASIO driver, making sure there's nothing causing unwanted dpc latency and so on, but even then you still need to know about latency, you still need to at least know what MIDI does, including it's not audio.

Apple's answer I guess is the free Garageband. A mini-DAW I actually find hard to use, I suspect because I know more than I'm supposed to so find it's workflow and approach counter-intuitve. Logic Pro when installed defaults to a "Garageband on steroids" interface and workflow intended to make the transition from one to the other easier. Then when the user finds they want to do stuff that they can't in that environment, or feels brave, they can switch on "advanced preferences" and get into Logic as a DAW that's similar in many ways to Sonar and as complicated as all the other "front rank" DAWs.

But even then there's a heck of a lot to learn to get things working well and to understand what's going on. It's not a quick or easy thing to learn, and I guess you have to have a certain mindset not to give up and either hire a studio or decide the whole thing's too dificult and too expensive.

However, I think Apple's approach does have its strongpoints. There's no way around having to learn some stuff, but if the amount of stuff needed to be learned at any one time can be kept to managable chunks it helps a lot.

Consider software synths. Many/most of them have a huge number of parameters - multiple oscillators, wave-tabling, lots of different filters, complex modulation matrices, often on different pages or tabs and often a bunch of stuff that's unique to that synth. Compare that to a Minimoog or an MS-20 where every one of the limited number of functions has a dedicated control, the patch can be taken in at a glance, how any function changes the sound is easy to find out and experimental pot-turning and switch-throwing is rewarded by something obvious happening. And despite(?) the simplicity still sound really good.

Which is the better tool for learning about synths and getting to understand what the components do? I strongly suspect that many, maybe most soft-synth users rely heavily on presets, partly because the instrument is so huge and complex that patching it yourself is far from easy.

I guess what I'm heading towards is that maybe for beginners what's needed is a DAW that lets them learn a bit at a time. Or, better, a DAW that offers a "beginner's configuration" that can be turned off once the basics are learned. I can see no way to avoid some "book learning", because there are things you can't avoid needing to know in the same way you can't learn to play violin without knowing what the strings and bow do, why it needs to be kept in tune and tuned to specific notes etc. So accessible information about why there's a gap between playing a note and hearing it and what to do about that gap is essential. Which with PCs takes us into having to get to know a bit about how PCs work and do things, but again that's unavoidable.

I think Sonar's introductory tutorials are very good, but there's that saying about taking a horse to water.... Not everyone bothers with them, as shown frequently by questions to this forum. Which brings me to something else I think is essential (and almost unique to Cakewalk). A friendly, helpful and well-informed forum where no-one is made to look stupid for asking about something they don't understand, very little bull, they don't get told to "go use google" and no-one gets put-down for not using the latest, greatest and most expensive kit.

Sonar Platinum 64bit, Windows 8.1 Pro 64bit, I7 3770K Ivybridge, 16GB Ram, Gigabyte Z77-D3H m/board,
ATI 7750 graphics+ 1GB RAM, 2xIntel 520 series 220GB SSDs, 1 TB Samsung F3 + 1 TB WD HDDs, Seasonic fanless 460W psu, RME Fireface UFX, Focusrite Octopre.
Assorted real synths, guitars, mandolins, diatonic accordions, percussion, fx and other stuff.
dwardzala
Max Output Level: -61 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1470
Re: What Would Make DAWs (Not Just SONAR) Easier to Use? 2017/06/08 21:40:00 (permalink)
Base 57
Even a tool as simple as a hammer requires practice to achieve an acceptable level of proficiency (and I have purpled up my thumb enough times to know I will never be a good carpenter).

To expect a tool as complex as SPLAT to be easy for a beginner to use is absurd. People with years of studio experience who expect SONAR to be more user-friendly should get the old 286 out of the garage and synch Cakewalk 5.0 up with the 3340. Remember how easy that was?

Musicianship requires study, practice and a dedication to craft that will always defy the desire for instant gratification. So my suggestion to help with the learning curve is to publish some kind of book full of tips. Or maybe a sticky thread with similar tips and tricks. Or possibly an online manual? Oh I know, how about a dedicated user forum where people can get help with using the current toolset.

I wish I had a more productive answer but thank you for bringing this up Craig. Sorry for the sarcasm, I didn't realize how much I was bothered by this subject until I read your OP.

While I'm at it let me also thank you for all of your contributions to the subject of music oriented technology. I don't believe there is any individual I have learned more from than you.

Your hammer analogy could be extended.  If I gave you a nailgun, you wouldn't purple your thumb anymore and would be able to drive nails 10 (100?) times faster.  This is all about making the tool better.  it won't fix know when to use the tool (i.e. don't try to faster PVC water pipes together with a nail gun) but if you are framing your house, it makes it more efficient.

Dave
Main Studio- Core i5 @2.67GHz, 16Gb Ram, (2) 500Gb HDs, (1) 360 Gb HD
MotU Ultralite AVB, Axiom 49 Midi Controller, Akai MPD18 Midi Controller
Win10 x64 Home
Sonar 2017.06 Platinum (and X3e, X2c, X1d)

Mobile Studio - Sager NP8677 (i7-6700HQ @2.67MHz, 16G Ram, 250G SSD, 1T HD)
M-Box Mini v. 2
Win 10 x64 Home
Sonar 2016.10 Platinum

Check out my original music:
https://soundcloud.com/d-wardzala/sets/d-wardzala-original-music

stickman393
Max Output Level: -60 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1528
Re: What Would Make DAWs (Not Just SONAR) Easier to Use? 2017/06/08 22:38:51 (permalink)
How many of us started with multi-track tape recorders? Once you mastered "arming" a track, it Just Worked.
So, in my opinion, I'd add a "tape recorder mode" whereby the only thing you could screw up would be accidently recording over an existing track.

Then I'd add busses and FX bins. And maybe punch-in recording.

Then... but I've lost most of you already. OK.

PhilW
Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 103
Re: What Would Make DAWs (Not Just SONAR) Easier to Use? 2017/06/08 22:45:06 (permalink)
Software designers often put a bunch of people in a room and watch as they use the software for the first time to find out where the UI issues might be. A bunch of people familiar with Logic or some other DAW maybe - watch them try to record, mix etc with Sonar. That's a standard UX process to find out where things could be improved.

The DAW/Interface thing - most of the time the issues seem to be with digital I/O that is shared with other devices. I would never use USB, for example, knowing that it might be shared with keyboards, mice, disks, etc. When there is an interface used only for audio seems to be when things get easier, whether that's AES, Dante, maybe Thunderbolt.

Like many UIs, Sonar is obsessed with "things" as opposed to "tasks". I'm looking at the track view, and it says Clips with a drop-down menu. Ok, Clips what? Audio transients is a choice? And Automation is another list of things.  So you have go through a list of things and hope that at the end of the list you'll find the task you want to do. The Sonar menu (View etc) is another list of things that you go through hoping to find the task you want to do. I do think that the Tracks menu is a step in the right direction because at least it gives you a clue that it's related to doing something with tracks, but I remember thinking how odd it was that there wasn't a Record choice when one or more tracks are armed. So in general I'd say that when there is a large number of things to do the UI has to be a lot better at getting you to what you want to do. Most DAWS suck at it. When there are multiple ways of doing the same thing it's not helpful - it's just more clutter.

The main other thing is when things fail. As they say, anyone can write code assuming that nothing ever goes wrong. The tricky stuff is dealing with errors, not crashing, providing meaningful error messages, suggesting hints, above all not losing data. But this stuff is never as sexy as new features and pretty looking UI so it gets ignored.

Does any DAW builder have a tool that does a "optimize my system for audio" choice? Do any of them have a tool "why can't I hear anything from my DAW" or "why isn't record working?"
promidi
Max Output Level: -66 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1220
Re: What Would Make DAWs (Not Just SONAR) Easier to Use? 2017/06/08 22:50:43 (permalink)
One thing I think would make any given DAW easier to use is to have a proper configuration routine.  This could even be a separate executable, specific to the DAW

Examples of the sort of things such a program would do if it came with the latest versions of Sonar are described in the following knowledgeable article:

https://www.cakewalk.com/Support/Knowledge-Base/2007013376/Windows-Optimization-Guide

Granted, these can be done by some users without assistance.  However, a complete beginner might struggle with some of these steps.  Such a configuration program would backup the current configuration settings, then suggest the above configuration changes.  Maybe this can be in table form:- on the left the current configuration, and on the right, the optimised, with a select box to implement.

Windows 10 64bit fully patched, 16 gig ram . 
PCR-800 Controller.  (Working in Win 10 1809 64bit)
CPU: i5 4670. 
Video: Nvidia GTX560ti (latest drivers).
Audio IF: Focusrite 2i2 2nd Gen

Internet always on.

Software
: Cakewalk by Bandlab (2018.09 B29)
ASIO mode. 24bit 48khz 256 samples 
Rapture Pro, AAS GS2, VS-3, EP-4, VA-2, Chromophone 2, Z3TA+ 2, Addictive drums 2, Addictive Keys, Mpowersynth (latest), Iris 2, GPO5, Sampletank 3,
Base 57
Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 249
Re: What Would Make DAWs (Not Just SONAR) Easier to Use? 2017/06/08 23:01:20 (permalink)
Analogy extended.

In the hands of a well trained worker, a nail gun is much more efficient than a hammer. In the hands of someone who lacks the proper training, a nail gun is not just dangerous but deadly.

I am all for better tools. You still have to learn how to use them.
Page: 12345.. > >> Showing page 1 of 8
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1