Why do you use Sonar? (da truth!)

Page: < 1234 > Showing page 2 of 4
Author
SFSonarBoy
Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 129
RE: Why do you use Sonar? (da truth!) 2005/04/25 18:44:36 (permalink)
(I can't handle da truth, but here's why I use SONAR :-)

1) Good ++ (and in some cases excellent) audio AND midi under one roof.
2) Flexibility, with softsynths, dxi, vst, rewire.
3) Extensive routing/bussing possibilities during mixing.
4) Sounds good.
5) Fairly easy to work with and relatively intuitive.
6) Cool stuff I don't use often but comes in handy from time to time (score view/printing).
7) Support a smaller, responsive, cool company whose business practices (licensing, upgrade pricing) I agree with.
8) Plays nice on laptops or desktops.

Steve E.
dcasey
  • Total Posts : 141
RE: Why do you use Sonar? (da truth!) 2005/04/25 18:57:54 (permalink)
I've been using Cakewalk products for roughly 10 years and while I have developed brand loyalty, the main reasons are 1) innovation and steadily improving feature set, 2) quality and stability, and 3) excellent workflow. I've been in commercial software for many years and I recognize a solid development organization when I see one - there is real live engineering going on here. Some folks complain about Sonar not being as feature rich as other products, but keep in mind that more features = more code + more complexity + more bugs. I appreciate the fact that they carefully consider feature requests and not simply bloat the software in order to look good from a checklist perspective.

Dan
LLyons
Max Output Level: -79 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 574
RE: Why do you use Sonar? (da truth!) 2005/04/25 19:04:43 (permalink)
Because -

1 - I started using cakewalk products at pro audio 4. I needed something to learn from. I had been in studios from time to time and the writing was all over the walls, floors and outside of buildings that DAW was the new direction. MIDI was just a passing fad to me, audio recording was the bees knees. I needed to start someplace, and cakewalk was the one product I had read and heard about from a few folks.

2 - The updates have done exactly what they said they would do - plus the extra bennies in audio add ins were a welcome addition.

3 - I use pro tools in the pro studios and sonar at home. I don't feel I am missing out while at home or in the studio. I am not a power user on either system, but I can get around pretty well.

All in all - I can do the job I say I can do for myself and my clients - thats it. Dad taught me my word should be gold.

Best Regards,

Lance
glazfolk
Max Output Level: -22.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5253
RE: Why do you use Sonar? (da truth!) 2005/04/25 19:36:37 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: Spaceduck
I've never tried Cubase, Nuendo, ProTools, etc. so I have no idea what I might be missing.

What you're missing is basically a bundle of bugs, a dongle, and an interface whose counter-intuitivity is truly breathtaking.

What you're getting is the best DAW interface around, by a country mile.

Geoff Francis - Huon Delta Studios

AMD Opteron 246 2GHZ twin CPU
Tyan S2875 AVRF Dual M'board
2 Gig RAM, Three Monitors w NVIDIA GeForce FX5700
Alesis iO26, 2 NTFS Seagate HD
DigitalDesign Speakers
Grünfeld
Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 251
RE: Why do you use Sonar? (da truth!) 2005/04/25 19:42:23 (permalink)
I use Sonar because I couldn't work Cubase at all -- a slimmed down version came with a sound card.

I went to FL Studio, or Fruityloops as it was then. A great program for MIDI but not audio.

I got a version of GuitarTracks. Loved it. Bought Sonar 3 PE within a week.

Sonar is nice and intuitive. Not perfect, full of annoying little things (like the gradual increase in latency as you loop a couple of bars to do a recording). But at least I can work it, more or less.

Oli
post edited by Grünfeld - 2005/04/25 19:59:49
Jamie OConnell [Cakewalk]
Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 189
RE: Why do you use Sonar? (da truth!) 2005/04/25 20:47:07 (permalink)
Thanks for this thread -- it's a morale booster.

--Jamie
http://www.midiox.com
"Music is its own reward."

cad59
Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 66
RE: Why do you use Sonar? (da truth!) 2005/04/25 21:10:28 (permalink)
I use Sonar becasue I have been there snce the GReg days in 89.......I bought an UG copy of Cubase before Sonar came out and quickly trashed it and went back to Cakewalk. Cubase at that time had no "ins" files. You had to write a program to change synth patches........I had 12 Sound Sources with seemingly thousands of sounds, banks and stuff....ran back to Cakewalk......I was seduced at NAMM by the Cubase graphics. Sonar 1 fixed all that and oit was worth the wait. Haven't "strayed" since.

Sonar 4PE, SOund Forge, Vegas 5, Acid matches made in Heaven....
jerrye
Max Output Level: -78 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 613
RE: Why do you use Sonar? (da truth!) 2005/04/25 21:11:14 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Jamie OConnell [Cakewalk]

Thanks for this thread -- it's a morale booster.

It's well deserved. Please keep up the good work.

Almost 2 years ago, I returned to the DAW world after frustrations with a Compaq PC and CWPA 6. I researched Cubase, PT LE, Nuendo and Sonar. I tried demos for the first two. I have a music store friend who loves Cubase and really pushed it. He ragged me for choosing Sonar.

I have no regrets. Sonar has helped me finish projects like never before. The tools are so sweet. I'm not a great one-take player, so cut and paste is fantastic for me.

Jerry
nprime
Max Output Level: -51 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2423
RE: Why do you use Sonar? (da truth!) 2005/04/25 22:29:13 (permalink)
I used PT for four years in a studio situation (90-94). I liked it for editing and it was very good for movie work (laying in dialogue, sound FX, music, etc.). The best thing about it was that it ran on a Mac. I still get choked when I think about the level of knowledge I am required to have to use Windoze.

At the time it was only four channel. I mostly used it in conjuction with Opcodes StudioVision software, which was an AWESOME MIDI enviroment. I miss it so.

Anyway, I stayed out of the game for a few years and then bought back in in 1999. Cakewalk PA8 was packaged with the Creamware Pulsar card that I had decided on. I've been upgrading ever since, currently at 3PE. to be honest I wasn't impressed right off the bat. I looked at everything else that was around at the time, and didn't like the other systems any better. I found the procedure for editing to be bizarrely complicated and clumsy after PT. Over the years I have adapted and Sonar has continually improved.

I work at a studio that uses Nuendo 2.x., so I have to know it. It does some things well and others...well...let's just say that I don't have a very Teutonic view of how things should work. The studio owner bought it for the surround sound support, which it does well, I'll have to wait and see how 4PE is in this regard.

I find Sonar to be a perfectly usaeable tool that allows me to record quickly and easily. I would not change for anything that is currently considered to be the "competition".

Oh, and there is no other forum out there like this one, for any product I have ever used.

R

Listen

Sonar 5PE
Intel DP35DP, E6750, 3 GB, 80GB/320 GB
Scope (6 DSP) w/A16 interface
PadKontrol, Legacy Series MS20, EZDrummer.
Zentigra
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 35
RE: Why do you use Sonar? (da truth!) 2005/04/26 11:16:32 (permalink)
I Graduated from a Big Time Recording Arts School about 8 years ago and was trained on Pro-Tools, Soundscape and a few other multi-track DAWs at the time and they drilled into our heads that Pro-Tools was the superior program. But while all that was going on me and one of my lab partners from class would go home after classes and lab groups and try 2 imitate all the moves that were made in the Pro-Tools programs in Cool Edit Pro, CuBase, Saw and Cakewalk. Cakewalk was the only one of them that could imitate every single move that could be made in the Pro-Tools DAWs. I ended up investing in Cakewalk 6.01 Professional as it clearly had the potential of being the true cutting edge program along with some good audio card hardware which was just a matter of time. As Cakewalk progressed I watched closely 4 the right version 2 come out when Cakewalk Pro Audio 9 came out that was the version 4 me 2 up-grade 2 at that time. Absolutely an excellent program. I loved the on the fly mute/solo functions, real time efx plug-in's and especially the vector based automation. That was a heaven sent 4 me. Now I'm still watching and I think they may have done it again with there confidence recording, slip editing and workflow tracking functions. I've been playing with there demo's quite a bit and I think I'm sold on up-grading 2 Sonar 4 Studio Edition. I also like the 1st Compression Plug-in from the suite. I haven't really messed with the reverb one yet but I guess I will have 2 try that later 2 c if I need 2 go up 2 Producer Edition or not but that's about all that would cause me 2 do that other wise I would not need all the surround sound stuff or at least not right now and I have other great plug-ins that I've purchased through Cakewalk. And I prefer the row/column effect rather than the on the fly console fader deal on the left side of the interface. I guess I still have a little Old School in me lol......That all being said, Cakewalk (Sonar), when being used with a really good sound card set-up, is the most powerful/affordable and intelligently designed DAW program I have every used and I have up dated my self on a lot of the newer versions of CuBase and Pro-Tools and I still don't see the big deal in them other than the fact that they make them selves far more complicated than is necessary. As u can see I put a lot of research into this and I still think Cakewalk is superior 2 everything else out there. I am not surprised that they won the MIPA Award for Best Recording Software this year. By the way, Pro-Tools has not even been nominated 4 that in the past 4 years and Cakewalk, if my memory serves me correctly, has every time.

Enjoy Ur Cakewalk Experience Worry Free:)
Z
Middleman
Max Output Level: -31.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4397
RE: Why do you use Sonar? (da truth!) 2005/04/26 11:38:46 (permalink)
I use Sonar Producer because it is the best price performance product on the market. If you don't believe me, check out this grid.

http://www.theaudiocave.com/dawchart.htm
post edited by Middleman - 2005/04/26 11:39:57
Magpel
  • Total Posts : 10
RE: Why do you use Sonar? (da truth!) 2005/04/26 12:02:59 (permalink)
For me, the answer starts with luck of the draw. It was the first program recommended to me when, very early in my DAW experience, I was looking to upgrade from Voyetra's Digital Orchestrator Pro because that program did not support Direct X effects.

CWPA 8 had just come out---a bit of a rocky version, it turned out, but I rode it to 9.00, which was a fabulous app. I just upgraded to Sonar 4 PE this week. It's taking me no time at all to learn the changes and get back into writing and recording.

So Cakewalk is my brand. I've looked at a few other apps, and done some pretty extensive experimenting with the wild VST program Energy-XT. I've spent time with Digital Performer and Pro Tools. I always thought I'd like Vegas because Sonic Foundry had a great sense of interface design. They're all great and so is Sonar.
post edited by Magpel - 2005/04/26 12:07:08

ASUS P4P800 SE (socket478)
Pentium 4 3 GHz
1 GB Corsair value select RAM
WD 160 GB SATA HD
ASUS V9400-X/TD graphics card
NEC DVD-RW
Sonar 4 Producer
M-Audio Delta 1010
daverich
Max Output Level: -41 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3418
RE: Why do you use Sonar? (da truth!) 2005/04/26 12:03:55 (permalink)
I use sonar because at the time I was choosing my current DAW software sonar was the best bang/buck by far.

That was back at sonar 2 and the bangs keep getting bigger :)

Kind regards

Dave Rich.

For Sale - 10.5x7ft Whisperroom recording booth.

http://www.daverichband.com
http://www.soundclick.com/daverich
bvds
  • Total Posts : 57
RE: Why do you use Sonar? (da truth!) 2005/04/26 12:05:12 (permalink)
I have cubase sl 3= horrible unstable
Protools works fine for audio but not for midi
Logic 5 platinum = the same buggy unfinisched crap as cubase
Sonar 4 studio edition= works fine for midi but for audio not as good as protools.
If protools had a decent score editor it would be the only prg I needed.
Overal is sonar the best.
Max Output Level: -25.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4951
RE: Why do you use Sonar? (da truth!) 2005/04/26 12:41:08 (permalink)
works fine for midi but for audio not as good as protools.

i agree with you .. more investment improving audio editing features and
a bit more time improving envelope drawing/editing (and stability) and Sonar would clearly be
superior to PT in this area ... dang close though.
post edited by jmarkham - 2005/04/26 12:42:47
polarbear
Max Output Level: -66 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1212
RE: Why do you use Sonar? (da truth!) 2005/04/26 13:11:59 (permalink)
this will sound really dumb, but i can't figure out how to show sound (patch) names for all my soundfonts and samplers and synths, etc. directly in any other program but cakewalk programs. they just show up in the track selection box! nice and easy! so i'm stuck!
Zentigra
  • Total Posts : 35
RE: Why do you use Sonar? (da truth!) 2005/04/26 13:39:32 (permalink)
Yes but remember, U r comparing a Program that u can up-grade to for $150.00 and some hardware that might only cost u between $500.00 to $2,000.00 depending on what u decide on (which may also determine some of the advantages and disadvantages u may have with Sonar so chose wisely) to a Platform that will cost u at least from $10,000.00 to 50,000.00 just 2 equal the performance of Sonar with certain choice hardware. And forget about PT's LE editions. I would loss half my client base if I only had 32 track on the fly recording and limited I/O matrix systems. Way 2 limited 4 me. Remember, with PT u must buy their Hardware to get their Software and hardware is where all the money goes. By the way, so many things r going virtual today. What's 2 stop everyone from not investing in lots of hardware anymore when there r software consoles out there that can do just as good of a job as these glorified keyboard and mouse logic controllers.

Food 4 Thought:)
Z
mtl blue
Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 207
RE: Why do you use Sonar? (da truth!) 2005/04/26 14:33:50 (permalink)
When I first got into DAW's I got a HP Pavilion with the idea of getting ProTools Le. I got home and punched up the digi site, right there it said "know incompatibilities with HP Pavilion motherboards". Bummer.

I bought a Tascam US428 naively thinking I really needed the mixing functionality. It came with Cubasis. Which I used for a while. I upgraded to Cubase VST5. I built my very modest studio around it and Acid. I ran that for a good while. Then it just startered slowing down and crashing constantly.

I got a new laptop, and a copy of Sonar 3 Studio, these were to be the heart of my new studio. My producer buddies kind of teased me... they are all Logic and ProTools. What sold me was the Acid file compatibility.

Because of the intuitiveness and stability of Sonar and this great forum, my skills really got kick started. I can honestly say that within a year, I was recording and mixing at a much higher level, scrapping just under what my "pro" friends are doing.

I recently had a dedicated audio pc built and installed my Sonar on it. I also run Nuendo on that pc.

Sonar is much easier to work in and besides native VST, audio warping, a few midi differences and the snob factor, I can say Sonar has little to be envious of. When version 5 comes around.... I will upgrade.
burak
Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 303
RE: Why do you use Sonar? (da truth!) 2005/04/26 16:17:40 (permalink)
I'm too lazy to learn any thing new. I started with Cakewalk 7. I have ACID, Ableton Live, and Protools as well, but I hardly use them
kilgoretrout
Max Output Level: -79 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 580
RE: Why do you use Sonar? (da truth!) 2005/04/26 18:43:45 (permalink)
Mine is simple.

I started using Cakewalk when it was a DOS application. When Steinberg introduced their VST technology (repetitive, like PIN Number or ATM Machine), I wanted the greater ability to use the plugins. Plus, as Cubase moved to 5 or so, the number of plugs got bigger and bigger.

My main problem was that I spent tons of time monkeying with my computer and little time actually playing music.

Since I have a ton of outboard gear and vintage synths, all those VST plug ins were really not a necessity.

I tried the crossgrade to Sonar 3 and found that:
My PC rarely locked up
I could sit down and start recording pretty quickly
With The Sonitus plug ins and a UAD1 Card, I wasn't missing much in FX

Steinberg had virtually no tech support. By comparison, Cakewalk is angelical.

Steinberg had a habbit of releasing products way to early, and it would take a few revisions to get the danged things stable again.

Steinberg's user forums were difficult places to ask simple questions. There were lots of SX snobs who felt like if you didn't know the answer, you were worthless.

There are a few features from SX I wish would port to Sonar, but the gap in Sonar and SX is pretty close to nil as far as I am concerned.

In a nutshell, my workflow is quicker on Sonar. SX may be more powerful, but even after 3 years of using it, I never got quick enough to keep from killing my creative brain cells (only 4 left nowdays anyway) before I got frustrated with the product.

Sonica dual core 3.4 GHz with 2GB ram, 2-300GB audio drives 1-80Gb system drive, RME DIGI 9652, Sonar 6 PE, Mackie D8B, 2x MOTU MTP AV USB, TC Powercore Firewire, UAD1, vintage synths, Modcan modular, guitars, outboard gear,
jamester
Max Output Level: -61 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1481
RE: Why do you use Sonar? (da truth!) 2005/04/27 01:32:29 (permalink)
I got a new laptop, and a copy of Sonar 3 Studio, these were to be the heart of my new studio. My producer buddies kind of teased me... they are all Logic and ProTools. What sold me was the Acid file compatibility.

Same here, though this was the second time around. At first I was using Cool Edit and Pro Audio 9, ended up sticking with PA 9. Then I switched to a Mac. THEN I switched back, and with my new laptop I knew Sonar was going to be it. I was right.

This is re-confirmed every time I'm at a rehearsal and our bass player struggles with his Mac and Cubase rig. Things that are so involved - especially with loops - are so simple in Sonar. The ACID compatability was a big issue, although I thought the new SX now has this?

Purrrfect Audio DAW built by Jim Roseberry
Edirol UA-1000, Korg PadKontrol, Dynaudio BM 5A's
Reaper, Live, Sound Forge, Pyro
DigiDis
  • Total Posts : 170
RE: Why do you use Sonar? (da truth!) 2005/04/27 02:19:56 (permalink)
OK, the truth. I bought into Cakewalk instead of the others because in independent laboratory tests the Sonar audio engine sounds better by 20-40%.

Really, Sonar is the most powerful, easy to use DAW. I learned audio and midi sequencing with PA9. When I first went shopping for DAW software all I ever heard out of Cubase and Logic Users was how difficult the programs were to learn and use, they had bugs, they basically sucked at everything. In fact, everyone hated their software until the pissing match begun. Then they said that their software was the best. And this still continues, go to the Cubase forum. Everyone hates Cubase, but mention Sonar and they are start in with the Cubase is better chant. Brainwashed bunch of Cakewalk wannabes.

petrucciator
  • Total Posts : 159
RE: Why do you use Sonar? (da truth!) 2005/04/27 05:59:59 (permalink)
i have cubase, although it does kick ass, its not easy to use off the bat as cakewalk sonar 3, those ASIO drivers and input monitoring kick my butt every time, but i LOVE sonar
GTBannah
  • Total Posts : 124
RE: Why do you use Sonar? (da truth!) 2005/04/27 06:31:04 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: ohhey

ORIGINAL: Spaceduck

Heh, I just realized that the only reason why I've been using Sonar for the past 10 years (starting w/ Cakewalk 5, then 6, Sonar1, 2 and now 4PE) is: I have too many unfinished projects; it would be impossible to convert them to a different format.

I've never tried Cubase, Nuendo, ProTools, etc. so I have no idea what I might be missing. It's the old Windows vs. Linux conundrum. Cakewalk just lucked out that I happened to pick their box off the shelf 10 years ago. Now I'm roped in forever (or until I wrap up all my projects... same thing). Is anyone else the same? Be honest now. Or have you all done careful product comparisons for every release & every competitor?

The Sonar experiance can still be bad if you are unlucky enought to get a bad sound card driver (I'm on my third expensive card) but once you find one that works in your system it's clear sailing.

The DELTA 1010 is a "5 star" card ....

Derrkins

Music is an exact, inexact, subjective, objective ArtScience.
- Derrkins 2002
-----------------------------------------
GIGABYTE X58A-UD3R MoBo, i7 2.8Gig CPU, 12Gig RAM
Win 7 Ultimate 64; DIGI 002
thunderkyss
  • Total Posts : 1207
RE: Why do you use Sonar? (da truth!) 2005/04/27 09:21:57 (permalink)
My first "real" soundcard was a Creative Labs AWE64Gold card. It came with a version of Cakewalk called Cakewalk Gold Express. It let me do audio and midi, which was cool, but being a Guitar player, I've always been more interested in the audio side. Cakewalk didn't really play well with my computer. An off the shelf Packard Bell DX66. So I started shopping for something that would.
I found magix midi studio @ Best Buy for like $70, and it just worked. After several computer upgrades, I kept up with Magix midi Studio, but I came across the need to record more than one physical input at a time. My Studio was growing, I had Drum Machines, Synths, and of course me on guitar. Now the folks at Magix would have liked for me to upgrade to Samplitude, but at the time, it was audio only, and I had gotten used to midi's flexibility. I actually depended on midi for non-guitar parts. So I chose to go with Logic 5.5(since Magix midi studio was more or less a repackaged simplified Logic). Let me tell you, I was in heaven. It had a lot more features than midi-studio, more instruments, and more effects. Well, you all know it was shortly after 5.5.2 that Apple aquired Mac, and I ain't buying a Mac(ain't gonna happen). So I was shopping again. I downloaded the demo of Soanr 1.1, and played with it. I didn't really care for it. If I remember right, I couldn't download a copy of SX. And what can you really tell from a trial version anyway, if you can't save anything. A big part of what I was doing, was recording riffs, and slapping drum and bass grooves on them, saving them, and coming back at a later time to see if they still inspired me.
Anyway, I was still using Logic/Win98SE for a couple more years. Acid had came out, and that intrigued me, but there was no midi, and you could only record a stereo pair, so I wasn't too interested. Acid loops interested me, but not Acid.
I read an review about Sonar where the guy talked about using Acid loops in his projects, and that's when I shnapped and made the decision to swap. However I think it was real close to the release of Sonar 2.0 or what ever, so I waited for it. After using Sonar, with Acid loops, my need to record more than a single audio pair has greatly been reduced. Since I'm using more loops, I'm using less midi.
Anyway, I did buy SX 1.0, I think. Just because. But I've never upgraded it, because I don't use it. Going from Logic 5.5.2, to Sonar 2.0 was easier than going to Cubase for me. It's not that it's difficult, I can figure out how to do what I want to do, but it just didn't make a lot of sense. Play, stop, return to beginning, record all those key commands in Cubase are the same as they are in Logic, & Reason which I liked. Sonar is the odd man out, but it wasn't difficult to make the change. Logic, Reason and Cubase will let you arm a track while your project plays, which I'm getting tired of waiting for Sonar to do. But I can obviously live with this limitation.
Logic & Cubase didn't support Acid loops, which was a big part of what I did/do. Creating tracks, busses, sends, adding effects, selecting regions, cutting tracks, cloning tracks, bouncing tracks, and just the way the program behaves when you click on a region, a tracks header, the transport, the effects box and a lot of little things where great timesavers when I switched from Logic to Sonar, and I don't want to give those up. Cubase handles many of the above items like Logic, which to me is a step backwards.
Cubase has that audio warp, which looks cool in the video demo, but takes like a million clicks to get it to do what you really want it to do. Sonar4's new stuff looks really good to me too. I like the way cake has implemented track folders, which again isn't the way Cubase/Logic does it. But Cakewalks way makes more sense. It's the way I would have done it. The mute tools, comping, slip editing, Loop Construction et. al in S4 are like spades to Cubase's Warp, and addition of Acidized loops.
I'm still on S3PE. waiting to see what happens with five. More than anything now, I'd like to arm/disarm that darn red button while the project plays. If it doesn't come in 5, I don't know what I'll do. I might get a mac, and go back to logic(picking up project 5 might be more likely though.)
Heck if Protools would just sell a card that will accept ADAT in, I'd be happy. I've already got a mixer I'd like to continue to use, I don't need all that DigiRack or Digi 002.
Magix midi studio now let's you record multiple ins, I might go that way. Samplitude is getting alot closer to what I want. But right now, Sonar is closest. More than likely, I'll eat some crow and get Sonar5. I really like what S4 brought to the table, and I'm fighting myself daily not to upgrade.
post edited by thunderkyss - 2005/04/27 09:28:39

johndale
Max Output Level: -43 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3228
RE: Why do you use Sonar? (da truth!) 2005/04/27 09:54:12 (permalink)
It works......................JDW
olzzon
  • Total Posts : 41
RE: Why do you use Sonar? (da truth!) 2005/04/27 13:25:46 (permalink)
I´ve only used sonar for a couple of month, but have allready mixed and recorded around 25 tunes on it.

So far i´m VERY happy about it.

I also got a nuendo license, but had my dongle stolen, so i´m left with my old 1.6. (don´t you just hate dongles when that happen)
That was one of the reasons that i didn´t wan´t to buy that again.
NO more DONGLES for me.

Sonar feels like a very onest program to me, it does what it does, no OVERHYPED functions that actually don´t work because they shouldn´t been released until two years later.

LIKE: i prefer to stop the music to enable rec, and that the DAW stops if somethings wrong, if that means recording is safer that way.
Not like nuendo way, where i often was afraid wheter things were in sync when they were recorded. (It happened in nuendo 2.21, when you did a 24 track recording, if something wen´t wrong it always tried to continue, so you weren´t sure if it worked out okay. For instance if an overload or something happened, it kept recording but when you pressed stop, one of the tracks was shorter than the others).

-Sonar feels more happy about low latency, than nuendo did. I couldn´t even dream about having 24 track softmonitoring with effects at 1.5 ms, in nuendo. Sonar does this with a smile. (I can even back up my system while recording)
Don´t know abouts synths though, cause right now i´m mainly record other band, haven´t got time for my own stuff.

-I have worked alot in samplitude too. A great program, but i to often experienced using 20 min. looking for some function i used a month ago. there are simply to many functions and to many submenues in this program for me.

-One thing is miss thoung are some hotkeys for the mixer PLEASE. If you got 50 tracks in a tune, you really get tired scrolling a the bottombar all the time. I worked alot in logic before, and you could setup your mixer, so that 1-16 was on F6, 17-32 on F7, busses on F9 or whatever you like.

ANYWAY, i think i found my DAW. From 3 criterias:

- Sound.
- STABILITY.
- Workflow.
thunderkyss
  • Total Posts : 1207
RE: Why do you use Sonar? (da truth!) 2005/05/08 20:17:22 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: olzzon

-Sonar feels more happy about low latency, than nuendo did. I couldn´t even dream about having 24 track softmonitoring with effects at 1.5 ms, in nuendo. Sonar does this with a smile. (I can even back up my system while recording)

just out of curiousity, why would you ever need to do this??

JCD
  • Total Posts : 53
RE: Why do you use Sonar? (da truth!) 2005/06/21 01:11:04 (permalink)
i saw CNN @ 1998, i was 15 years old lol, and they were talking about how revolutionary the world of home recording was... i was blown away with the concept and managed to get a copy of cakewalk HS 7 years later... i've been a cakewalk fan ever since... i jumped from there to Sonar 1, then to Sonar 2 XL, never tried Sonar 3...

Now I'm using Cakewalk Sonar 4 PE and i must say i love it...

I've tried Logic and Cubase and find Sonar to be much more intuitive than any other software around... i'm still very fond of Logic but since it is only for MAC computers... i guess Cakewalk and I still have a long way to go together...

agincourtdb
Max Output Level: -27.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4753
RE: Why do you use Sonar? (da truth!) 2005/06/21 01:27:11 (permalink)
I can't believe the thread has gotten this long without somebody saying this, so here goes (and my apologies)....

....I use Sonar because, if I didn't, the enemy submarines might get me.

Page: < 1234 > Showing page 2 of 4
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1