Why do you use Sonar? (da truth!)

Page: < 1234 > Showing page 3 of 4
Author
jamester
Max Output Level: -61 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1481
RE: Why do you use Sonar? (da truth!) 2005/06/21 01:49:52 (permalink)
....I use Sonar because, if I didn't, the enemy submarines might get me.

I use Sonar because I'm a bat.

Purrrfect Audio DAW built by Jim Roseberry
Edirol UA-1000, Korg PadKontrol, Dynaudio BM 5A's
Reaper, Live, Sound Forge, Pyro
dburns
Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 323
RE: Why do you use Sonar? (da truth!) 2005/06/21 02:35:01 (permalink)
I was going to post a funny reply, but Jamester, you topped it! Very funny, bat-man!!! :)

BTW, I agree with all the positive posts above. Sonar is great, it's PC based (I dumped Logic for Sonar just before Logic dumped the PC), and the company is tremendous. Just look at this forum to see the kind of involvement Cakewalk has with its users.

I like what you're doing, Cakewalk. :)

Dave Burns
Lowell, MA
More equipment than skill.
Robomusic
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 8943
RE: Why do you use Sonar? (da truth!) 2005/06/21 02:41:57 (permalink)
I am not a Sonar user, I only have Cakewalk's MC program at the moment, but have had older versions of Home Studio in the past (3.0), so I have used the brand for a while, and still use the MC version to diddle with midi at times. I also have Vegas 4.0 (great for audio only projects), Acid Pro3.0 9sucks at midi, the best for loop building), N-Tracks Studio 4.05 (a very decent all around program for $75), and a program i think feature for feature is the best and most simple and easy to use program i have ever used, called Multitrack studios, the Pro Plus version is only $120 and it is the most stable program i have tried, and has the easiest work flow. When i first got it it was so easy that i though i was missing something. Then i discovered what i was missing, hassle, it just flat out worked every time, VSTi, DXi, either works fine, built in sampler that takes Sound Fonts, and 19 very nice plugins. I still would like to buy Sonar someday but so far can't justify it, as MTS get projects done with so little effort.
agincourtdb
Max Output Level: -27.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4753
RE: Why do you use Sonar? (da truth!) 2005/06/21 04:52:47 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: jamester

....I use Sonar because, if I didn't, the enemy submarines might get me.

I use Sonar because I'm a bat.

A Charm City Bat, no less. :-)

By the way, my real answer is: in the early nineties, when I was a comp major in school, I was using Cakewalk as a compositional tool to write art songs (in general midi.... ack! I'd use the clarinet sound for the voice part because it was the least annoying. I ignored/didn't understand midi velocity, because it didn't seem to make any difference!) I remember liking everything about it except the fact that it picked the enharmonic spelling for you, and as a modern-sounding composer, that's a no-no.

So a few years back I was looking to revisit some of those old pieces, and could not find the old disk, so I logged onto Cake's server and bought Cakewalk Express as a download. When it came time to go for the big guns staying with concept and company I knew seemed the obvious choice.

MRG
Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 51
RE: Why do you use Sonar? (da truth!) 2005/06/21 06:17:50 (permalink)
I had been using Cubase VST since it first came out but not very seriously. I was always frutrated by the interface so when Sonar 1 was available as a demo I gave it a go.

The first thing that struck me was that the track metres were horizontal! You could see them even with loads of tracks squeezed onto the screen. It seemed such a logical solution I decided the rest of the program must be good to so I bought it.

I keep using it because it's easy to use and has been relatively reliable. Lot's of things I'd like to see improved but we've been through that elsewhere on this forum.

As things stand I plan to upgrade to V5 when it is available and will use a 64bit version as soon as that is out too. The only other DAW that tempts me from time to time is Samplitude but it's midi support is only just maturing. Great program if you don't want to use VSTi although thats les rtue than it used to be.

Inta-Audio AMD 64 pro workstation: EMU 1820m, Sonar 5pro, Project 5v2, BCF2000, BCR2000
Mark in Albany
  • Total Posts : 89
RE: Why do you use Sonar? (da truth!) 2005/06/21 07:46:21 (permalink)
It's funny but I almost gave up on Cakewalk a while ago. I bought my first box in 1995 and had Cakewalk (don't remember which version) when it only was a MIDI program. I upgraded as they said it would now, get this, record MIDI and audio and sync them together. When I upgraded they (techs and documentation) that it would work with my Ensoniq sound card. I purchased it and when I loaded it, nothing was working. When I called I was told that Ensoniq backed out of letting them incorporate the drivers into the program. Now I had spent my hard earned money for a program that wasn't working. I was livid but I let them know and they apologized. They never asked me if they could refund my money though which was a sore spot. One thing happened through all of this. There was always someone on the end of the phone in Massachusetts. I was in NY and felt that they were a small company that had great people working there. The next time I upgraded I made sure I found out what sound card to purchase, and made the plunge. I have been with them ever since and am a REGISTERED owner od Sonar 4 Producers and P5 V2. So it's the people behind the scenes that make it for me.
JazzSinger
Max Output Level: -73 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 895
RE: Why do you use Sonar? (da truth!) 2005/06/21 07:53:28 (permalink)
Since you ask:

Upgraded from CakeWalk 4 (DOS) to HomeStudio, discovered to my horror that HS cannot be midi'd as slave! (DOS could. This is a marketing decision and there is NO warning in the online spec list!!!).

Only choice was Sonar, obliging me to move to WinXP (more cash spent), meaning get a new PC (more cash spent) get a silent fan and damping mats (more cash spent) and my old WinME PC is STILL quieter!

So that is why I use Sonar. I never needed anything more than a MIDI sequencer for windows.

I am a very angry customer.
Jonny M
Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 127
RE: Why do you use Sonar? (da truth!) 2005/06/21 08:40:47 (permalink)
I started using it because I didn't have the budget for anything more expensive on top of the rest of my gear and just kinda got used to it. Having said that, I just recently got Nuendo and now I wouldn't look back, mainly for its film scoring abilities and general post production features. As well as that, I'm not a fan of Sonar's rewire. It only lets you use 16 channels per application and for orchestral work with GigaStudio (and it's 128 channels!) it's useles.

Having said that, If I'm trying to bash out a quick project which I don't need Goga for, I still use Sonar for the speed I can use it (being used to the platform) and also for when I'm finishing off/polishing up older Sonar pojects.

To be honest though, I preferred Sonar 2.2 to the current 4 Producer, even though the plugins on 4 are more superior.

Sonar is also better for smaller powered PCs. Nuendo takes a heck of a lot to run really efficiently - you're looking pretty much a 2GB Ram and then another macing for other apps.
OffAnAirplane
Max Output Level: -63 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1386
RE: Why do you use Sonar? (da truth!) 2005/06/21 09:02:02 (permalink)
The first computer I ever used (when I was 14) was a 50Mhz 486DX / 640Mb hard drive / 4Mb RAM (which was a $100 upgrade from 2Mb) , with Windows 3.1 and DOS 6.11
I currently use a 3.2Ghz P4 / 2 x 250Gb hard drives / 2048Mb RAM with Windows XP.
Every computer in between was also a Windows based PC. I think people who like Apple computers are aliens from another planet. Their brains are wired differently than a Windows user's. Anyway, when it came to building a DAW there was no question of whether it would be a WindowsXP or OSx based system. So once I had established that it would be a WindowsXP system (and that didn't take long), all I had to do was decide which program was made by PC-users for PC-users. Cakewalk was really the only one.
Every other PC-based program smelled like Apples. Home Studio wouldn't do enough for me so I went with Sonar 4.0 Studio Edition (Studio because I couldn't afford Producer at the time). Then back in March 2005, I upgraded to Producer edition.
Sonar just makes sense to the Windows-minded person.
post edited by OffAnAirplane - 2005/06/21 09:31:14
montezuma
Max Output Level: -50 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2520
RE: Why do you use Sonar? (da truth!) 2005/06/21 09:07:05 (permalink)
So do all you Sonar users think us Guitar Tracks Pro 2 or 3 users are like Junior Vice Presidents? I have seen the newest Sonar on a demo and it looks so complicated. But there are a lot of similarities I see between GTP3 and Sonar. It's just that Sonar seems to have about 10 buttons for every 1 that GTP has. I always considered Sonar to be some big pro thing that I would never even get half its potential from. At the end of the day, Sonar is option and feature city, and I suppose GTP gives just the basics and perhaps a little more.
OffAnAirplane
RE: Why do you use Sonar? (da truth!) 2005/06/21 09:13:38 (permalink)
So do all you Sonar users think us Guitar Tracks Pro 2 or 3 users are like Junior Vice Presidents? I have seen the newest Sonar on a demo and it looks so complicated. But there are a lot of similarities I see between GTP3 and Sonar. It's just that Sonar seems to have about 10 buttons for every 1 that GTP has. I always considered Sonar to be some big pro thing that I would never even get half its potential from. At the end of the day, Sonar is option and feature city, and I suppose GTP gives just the basics and perhaps a little more.

You'd be suprised at how much of Sonar you would use. It's got a steep learning curve, but not as steep as it's competitors.
william.c
  • Total Posts : 143
RE: Why do you use Sonar? (da truth!) 2005/06/21 09:19:23 (permalink)
get's the job done.
bermuda
Max Output Level: -52.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2271
RE: Why do you use Sonar? (da truth!) 2005/06/21 09:19:29 (permalink)
My original computer was of a Charles Babbage design. it was clunky, predictable in that it crashed and made it's own random industrial sounds.

My first software used was what was bundled with a soundblaster 16bit card...I would just sample bits of songs and rearrange the collection to form a new song for my friends and my amusement. After 3 top ten hits in my area (school). I then started up an indie band had some obscure but wonderful times. Then decided to get a regular education. After that I missed music and decided it was time to "expand". The excessive eating wasn't really my thing so i decided to by a dedicated custom built computer to twiddle with music. After 15 months of looking (playing with Reason 2.5 whilst researching)around I decided Cakewalk was my family.

It does exactly what is says on the tin...with a couple of workarounds (please fix), but at least there are workaround. ps these workarounds should be published at the top of this forum though.

I'm happy but I know a few dopeys and their not bashful in their criticsm of their set ups.

Yes.
yep
Max Output Level: -34.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4057
RE: Why do you use Sonar? (da truth!) 2005/06/21 09:30:09 (permalink)
I used to use ProTools in the studio, but couldn't afford it when I was setting up my home rig, and I went with Cubase/Nuendo. This was pre-Sonar, and cakewalk products had a bad rep among audio engineer-types as being a low-grade consumer toy-- I never even looked at them. When Sonar first came out, it was getting really good press, and I was becoming ever more frustrated with stability and workflow problems with Steinberg. I decided to try Sonar and loved it and have never looked back. Best sequencer I've ever used. I do wish it had support for side-chain, though.

Cheers.
Carlos Bedoya
  • Total Posts : 58
RE: Why do you use Sonar? (da truth!) 2005/06/21 09:35:07 (permalink)
1- I have had no problems with the software (desktop + notebook)
2- I've done some projects I really enjoyed with the program (good memories)
3- The name works in English and Spanish (Sonar in spanish= "to sound")
post edited by Carlos Bedoya - 2005/06/21 09:37:55
Bonkwell
Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 154
RE: Why do you use Sonar? (da truth!) 2005/06/21 09:47:27 (permalink)
Hi

Well I came to use Sonar XL 2.2 for gigs……….. I started with Cubase many years ago but found VST and SX to be unreliable so I needed a replacement.

I must say after all the negative comments on Cubase-net over the years about Cakewalk I was most surprised at the quality and reliability of Sonar, so much so that I’ve upgraded to 3 and now on 4PE.

I hardly use SX 2 now, but still have some projects that need finishing.

For me it was stability that won me over at first, then I discovered the great features and value for money is another big plus, the high quality plugins I have now courtesy of Cakewalk would have cost quite a bit on their own, a nice thick Manual to read at leisure, and then this great place where you Guys and the Mods are always on hand to help with queries and problems,……………… you just can’t put a price on that.

sandman5000
Max Output Level: -73 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 882
RE: Why do you use Sonar? (da truth!) 2005/06/21 16:01:41 (permalink)
I came from Cubase 5.1. That was my first computer sequencer. I would have upgraded to Sx when it first came out, but there were so many problems with it at their forums, that I decided to wait for the issues to get fixed (especially the midi things they took out/timing). Well, then I noticed all the paid upgrades to fix bugs from the previous version. That sounded like gouging your customer base to me. And the issues would not really get fixed or something else would get broken. Plus Steinberg would say things like "there is no problem" or "well have a fix in a few months" and never deliver. And then there was this issue with the dongle. Apperently cubase checks to see if it's connected very, very often. Causing unecesary cpu interuptions. Apperently this has been the source of many problems with instability. Then there is the midi timing issue. I use mostly midi so that is important to me.

Compare the above with cakewalk. They let me upgrade to sonar 4SE from a cakewalk pro audio 9 I got free with my sound card for $99!. They are way tighter on the midi end. Sonar is a great tool. I am still learning it (just got it last week), but so far I noticed a much better sound compared to VST 5.1. And the lay out is very easy for me to figure out. Plus it has a ton of cool features. It's defenetly a fully modern, cutting edge tool. I've hardly read the manual yet (but I will).

I've been so impresed with cakewalk (I guess I was used to being treated differently). I even went ahead and ordered Project 5 V2.

I love the way they trust their customers. The no dongle / convoluted copy protection is great.
The Scar
Max Output Level: -75 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 760
RE: Why do you use Sonar? (da truth!) 2005/06/21 16:05:37 (permalink)
I've been so impresed with cakewalk (I guess I was used to being treated differently). I even went ahead and ordered Project 5 V2.
As a defector from PT, I gotta agree. One of the main reasons I've stuck with Sonar through what, for me, was a steep learning curve was A) how nice the company is to its customers, and B) how good these user forums are.

Frankly, the software still doesn't do all I'd like it to, and it get's glitchy from time to time (though methinks that's probably Windoze, not CW) but if they (and y'all) keep being so damn helpful, then I'm down for the long haul.

Electro Punk 'n' Roll at www.myspace.com/thescar
twitme
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 19
RE: Why do you use Sonar? (da truth!) 2005/06/21 16:26:53 (permalink)
I started using cakewalk 8 because it was the only DAW that worked on my machine. I stuck with it because no other DAW really promised more than cakewalk already had to offer. With Sonar 4 they've finally added some important features that I was hoping for previously [an audio metronome, track folders, freeze tracks], stuff I always wanted. Cakewalk/Sonar has been relatively stable for me, so I'm sticking to it. My only complaints are the somewhat bloated interface in the jump from Cakewalk 9 to Sonar 1; I can't fit as many tracks on my screen, and it runs slightly slower than it really needs to. And the MIDI programming gets weird for me [Sonar thinks a block of MIDI has a starting position prior to the first note or event associated with it etc.. yar]. But overall I have no reason to switch. Sonar is good stuff. And Sonar 4 is the most worthwhile upgrade since cakewalk introduced per-track audio folders and DXi support.
Bill OConnell
RE: Why do you use Sonar? (da truth!) 2005/06/21 16:29:37 (permalink)
First, it's a damn good program. Specifically, things that set it apart for me are the flexibility of the mixer routing; the two-speed freeze function; the ease with which FX inserts can be reordered; the POW-r dithering. There's a lot more if I spent more time thinking...

But it all comes down to this. I'm a bit particular about who (whom?) I do business with, and who I rely upon for fixes, improvements, and support. Meaning Cakewalk and this group. Also, Cakewalk doesn't act like Mother Superior when dealing with their customers. They seem to grasp what seems to elude so many: what's good for the customer is good for business.

And, so far at least, no damn dongle or having to phone home to get permission to use your license everytime you reformat or change the wrong component.

Class act.

winnie_pooh
  • Total Posts : 16
RE: Why do you use Sonar? (da truth!) 2005/06/21 16:34:26 (permalink)
1. I’m a silly old bear and I don’t know anything else since Cakewalk 1.0 for Windose.
2. I like Ron Kupper’s attitude how he deals with serious bugs in Sonar and his interaction in the user forum. Ten Points period. Other manufacturers give a shìte on clients opinions.
3. Loop mode still doesn’t work with the UAD-1 plugins without failure. I’m still curious if they will ever get it fixed (gap less audio engine)?!?. In the meantime I have 4 UAD-1 running in one MSI K8N Neo2 Platinum with Sonar 4.0.2 PE without looping. If they will get it fixed in Sonar 4.0.3 or 5 fine - otherwise I have to checkout something else.
post edited by winnie_pooh - 2005/06/21 16:37:47
jweldinger
Max Output Level: -79 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 593
RE: Why do you use Sonar? (da truth!) 2005/06/21 16:45:35 (permalink)
I started out using Home Studio 5. I eventually updated to Home Studio 2002. I needed more MIDI Sync capabilities than what HS offers, which is why I updated to SONAR.
sax_fan
  • Total Posts : 46
RE: Why do you use Sonar? (da truth!) 2005/06/21 17:05:04 (permalink)
I bought Home Studio 5 and never really used it. Recently I started using Power Tracks Pro Audio and think it's a great program. I wanted to learn more so I took a class where we used Sonar and I liked it. I really wasn't sure if I could justify the cost of purchasing Sonar, but at the upgrade price for Cakewalk customers I figured the plug-ins alone were probably worth the price of admission. Also, I figured no matter what sequencer I decided to learn there was going to be a pretty big learning curve, so I figured I might as well put my time into something that I would want to continue to grow with. So I took the plunge and ordered Sonar 4PE plus the Sonar 4 Power book. The fact that I had already put some time in with the program and the availability of help from friendly people on this forum helped push me over the top. Should be arriving soon. Hope I love it!
mistergarner
Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 169
RE: Why do you use Sonar? (da truth!) 2005/06/21 17:14:57 (permalink)
I have used Cakewalk since version 8.0. I got it basically because I was familiar with the name Cakewalk. I waited a while to upgrade from Pro Audio 9 to Sonar, but did that two years ago and have been fairly pleased with it. Now I use Sonar 4.x Producer Edition.

I've basically been a recording hobbyist but it's definitely a very passionate hobby of mine. My day job has been web development and application programming. My major at college though was music composition. So, needless to say I've always wanted to make music my actual day job.

Recently, I got the chance to do a soundtrack for a pilot episode of a show that will hopefully end up on either the Discovery channel or TLC. It's an actual show! I was so excited when I got the opportunity that I actually had an epiphany of sorts and decided to quit my job, sell my house and live off of the profits until I could finally make a living at music.

This was a huge decision and while initially I was filled with piss and vinegar, I've also had my anxiety filled moments and fear of making a huge mistake.

This soundtrack was for 45 minutes worth of video which is by far the longest project I've tackled and given that I only had about 1 1/2 weeks to get it done, I was very stressed out.

What allowed me to get this done though was without a doubt, Sonar. Yes, I am not totally familiar with the other programs out there, but because of the knowledge I've garnered so far through 5 years of working with Pro Audio and Sonar, learning all the extra tricks to make the music flow out quickly and under a tight deadline was not painful at all.

the new things I had to learn were:
working with existing loops and creating my own loops, both audio and midi.
working with softsynths like the new Pentagon (I used this on about 50% of the music, it's awesome)
using the VSampler (from version 3)
importing and recording along side a video track
working with freezing tracks

to add to the learning curve, I also bought the RME Fireface to ensure that I was giving them "pro" audio sound instead of the Delta 66 $hit I had been using (huge difference)

To be perfectly honest, there were some road bumps along the way. However, I got it all done by the deadline. The production company was very happy with the final cut of the music and so were their clients. So it looks like I might actually be able to make a career out of this after all!!!

Basically, I think you need to make a choice and stick with something through thick and thin. Cakewalk's customer support has been great, so whatever bumps do come up, I know they will help to resolve them. And thanks to Sonar, I was able to produce my first "real" soundtrack and be totally proud of it. Some of my best stuff is in it, and that's because once the creative juices started to flow like a dam bursting, Sonar wasn't standing in the way, but helping. (end advertisement)
theblue1
  • Total Posts : 69
RE: Why do you use Sonar? (da truth!) 2005/06/21 17:42:20 (permalink)
Much like Spaceduck, the central reason is inertia. But that's not a bad thing. There's a lot built up, because I've seldom been deflected. I've never, I don't think, had to talk to customer support. (Admittedly, there are a couple things that are currently bugging me, but they're annoyances more than any kind of fundamental problem.)

The first four or five years I used CW Pro Audio (starting with CWPA 6 in '96) it was very, very stable at a time when not all that much else in my computing world was. (I've had a couple minor crashes and lockups since then; if you throw out plug-in and Firewire related issues, that goes down to near zero.)

And, when I look over other folks' shoulders, I don't see all that much that gives me serious envy. Usually, if a new feature somewhere else makes sense, CW will include it in an upcoming version.

Plus -- and I don't think I can overemphasize the 'reassuringness' of this -- Sonar is generally very well reviewed. (It got 4.5 out of 5 in a recent Electronic Musician review, which is higher than any DAW software in recent memory, I think.) One doesn't want to put too much emphasis on reviews, but if you're looking to shore up your decision, they can be handy...

post edited by theblue1 - 2005/06/21 17:46:05
PaulGreblick
  • Total Posts : 115
RE: Why do you use Sonar? (da truth!) 2005/06/22 12:44:48 (permalink)
Because holding my breath and using binoculars to search for enemy submarines was getting old.

(Sorry - couldn't resist after seeing title.)
OffAnAirplane
RE: Why do you use Sonar? (da truth!) 2005/06/22 12:46:28 (permalink)
Because holding my breath and using binoculars to search for enemy submarines was getting old.

(Sorry - couldn't resist after seeing title.)

lol

Rom 8:18 For I consider that the sufferings of this present time are not worthy to be compared with the glory that is to be revealed to us.
Asseli
Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 223
RE: Why do you use Sonar? (da truth!) 2005/06/22 16:30:41 (permalink)
Here in Germany Sonar seems kind of exotic DAW. If you go into a shop, outing yourself as a Sonar user you will get questionmarks or slight smiles in their faces. Seems to me that I enter "Cubasia" and I have to show my passport.
But here in my musicschool we have licences for Sonar4 PE. It's a good programm, stable and good to handle.BTW the license bundle was much cheaper than that of cubase. The manual is not well interpreted to german, but we all here can understand english, so that's not the main problem. The forum is great, informative and mostly helpful. I don't know much about Cubase, but I know that this company is working in my place of birth and it's a pity that this small company is now going smaller because it was sold to pinnacle and now to Yamaha...to whom next? These things IMO don't improve the product.
But as you mentioned, we all have so many projects unfinshed everywhere and in Sonar, too. My problem is that I don't have time enough to learn all the features of S4 ....suddenly S5 appears!

http://www.tango-manzana.com/ video/song: Trip To Tokyo
new release: "Tango Bajo" by Asseli and Grupo Virtual feat. Nicolás Ascone (electric bass&voice); mastered by CJay, Florida.. Now ready for download at itunes, amazon, musicload and others. Enjoy!
Bill OConnell
RE: Why do you use Sonar? (da truth!) 2005/06/22 16:39:20 (permalink)
I think European customers should be provided with a fake dongle--one that actually does nothing, but makes people more comfortable with it, and more likely to take it seriously.

Asseli
Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 223
RE: Why do you use Sonar? (da truth!) 2005/06/22 18:02:51 (permalink)
The mystery man came over an' he said "I'm outta site".
He said for a nominal service ´charge I could reach ner-vonna tonite
If I was ready, willing and able to pay him his regular fee He would drop all the rest of his pressing affairs And devote his attention to me
But I said
Look here brother
WHO YOU JIVIN' WITH THAT COSMOC DEBRIS?
fRANK zAPPA

Cheers from europe

http://www.tango-manzana.com/ video/song: Trip To Tokyo
new release: "Tango Bajo" by Asseli and Grupo Virtual feat. Nicolás Ascone (electric bass&voice); mastered by CJay, Florida.. Now ready for download at itunes, amazon, musicload and others. Enjoy!
Page: < 1234 > Showing page 3 of 4
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1