Why do you use Sonar? (da truth!)

Page: < 1234 Showing page 4 of 4
Author
Bill OConnell
Max Output Level: -75 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 760
RE: Why do you use Sonar? (da truth!) 2005/06/22 20:40:29 (permalink)
Cheers, Asseli,

Oh, well, it least it was *cosmic* debris!

"Watch out where the huskies go..."

Asseli
Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 223
RE: Why do you use Sonar? (da truth!) 2005/06/23 05:26:21 (permalink)
Sorry Bill, I typed too fast. Cosmic ! (not cosmoc)
But......
..and don't you eat that yellow snow! (Frank Zappa Qoting Competition, but that's more for "coffee house")
Cheers again.
I'm going to go on practicing with that fine Sonar4 stuff until the fakedongle hits me.

http://www.tango-manzana.com/ video/song: Trip To Tokyo
new release: "Tango Bajo" by Asseli and Grupo Virtual feat. Nicolás Ascone (electric bass&voice); mastered by CJay, Florida.. Now ready for download at itunes, amazon, musicload and others. Enjoy!
Bill OConnell
Max Output Level: -75 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 760
RE: Why do you use Sonar? (da truth!) 2005/06/23 09:14:28 (permalink)
No more Zappa.

I hope the the "wink" smiley conveyed the fact the I was kidding in my original post--and not slamming the companies or users in Europe. I, in fact, have a number of licensed programs from Steinberg, Emagic (when it was totally a German program), and Magix.

"Some of my best friends are donglish."

Regards,

Bill
MRatton
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 22
RE: Why do you use Sonar? (da truth!) 2005/07/26 12:41:51 (permalink)
In 1990 I read a report about Cakewalk 4.0 on Keyboard magazine. The veredict was very positive. At that time, Cakewalk was only a MIDI sequencer, with no graphic interface, but it had support to many MIDI interfaces (it was DOS era and there was no standard driver for interfaces like now). So, a friend that went to USA bought me a Cakewalk 4 and a Music Quest PC MIDI Card. The software was very intuitive and had lot of efficient features. I've been using Cakewalk software since then, and I'm very satisfied. The reason for the success is that Cakewalk software was designed for PCs, and not ported from other platforms. That's why it performs so good.
Of course, it has things that are not exactly as I would like, but others have too. No software is perfect. People at Cakewalk are sensitive to their users (and to the market) and are aware of the tendencies - if not, we were still using WDM drivers.
letterboy1
Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 53
RE: Why do you use Sonar? (da truth!) 2005/07/26 13:52:29 (permalink)
Sonar 4 PE

1) Native to Windows
2) Intuitive for someone with basic portastudio experience
3) Feature-filled . . . more than what I need, but you never know
4) Highly regarded by the generall DAW community
5) With the wonderfull feature of track freezing, I feel like I have unlimited potential for my recording/mixing projects.

I had a choice among all the competing DAWs in that price range and I'm not disappointed in the least.
xohol
Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 342
RE: Why do you use Sonar? (da truth!) 2005/07/26 14:01:41 (permalink)
i use sonar and love it. but i also use nuendo and love that too. i use nuendo for tracking live bands. it has a much more stable audio engine. i often bounce projects from nuendo to sonar. i use sonar for sequencing, and i prefer to mix in sonar. i often mix my nuendo sessions in sonar. i do most post production and editing in sonar also. i primarily use nuendo as a tape machine.
Shawn Lutz
  • Total Posts : 25
RE: Why do you use Sonar? (da truth!) 2005/07/26 14:43:35 (permalink)
primarily because I came from Guitar Tracks Pro2 to GTPro3 and got a good upgrade price for Sonar 4 PE :) I should have it tomorrow, if it sucks I'll be disappointed big time...
post edited by Shawn Lutz - 2005/07/26 14:48:00

http://shawnlutz.com
HeatherHaze
  • Total Posts : 334
RE: Why do you use Sonar? (da truth!) 2005/07/26 15:32:30 (permalink)
My very first DOS based sequencer was Voyetra's wonderful Sequencer Plus. I also owned the original Cakewalk for DOS, and easily recognized it as one of the best, but I mostly stuck with Sequencer Plus for most tasks. I created hundreds of tunes with that software, and thought I would never use anything else. When Windows came along, I was happy to learn that Sequencer Plus still worked...for awhile. It worked right up through Windows 95, but when Windows 98 entered the scene...the brake lights went on. While I stuck with Windows 95 as long as I could, along with my trusted old Sequencer Plus, I knew I had to start looking for something to replace it with.

I tried many sequencers around that time, but nothing worked for me. What I loved about Sequencer Plus was the intuitive way it worked with my creative flow. Voyetra came out with new Windows-based sequencers, but they were totally different. They felt clunky, unreliable, and just didn't work "right." It was around that time that I started toying with the idea of hard disk recording, also. It seemed almost too good to be true, and for awhile...it was.

Enter Cakewalk, once again. My boyfriend happened to work at a software store at the time, and to my surprise he got me Cakewalk Pro Audio 6 for my birthday (how romantic!). I set it up and quickly realized that this was the missing link I had been searching for. It wasn't perfect, not by a longshot...but it was the best there was. I immediately saw the potential, and started pouring a good deal of time into learning this software inside and out. I threw out my old Tascam 4 track and started creating stuff I never thought possible on a home computer.

I stuck with Pro Audio 6 through a few versions...but finally upgraded again with the release of Pro Audio 9. I thought it couldn't get any better. Little did I know what was coming right around the corner.

When I received the slick marketing brochure for Sonar, I was blown away. MIDI, audio, AND loops? I had only recently been introduced to the concept of looping with ACID Pro 3.0. I had dabbled with a few interesting tunes, but without the MIDI and audio capabilities of Pro Audio, and without a huge loop library, I couldn't see much use for it. All that changed with Sonar. With so much creative power at my fingertips, I was in heaven!

Sonar 1.3.1 XL remained my weapon of choice through several versions. I would have loved to upgrade, of course, but couldn't justify the cost when I had everything I needed. Until 4.0 came along, that is!

Sonar 4.0 was such a major update, I knew I had to have it. [What pushed me over the edge? Two words: Track Folders!] At first I went to the Studio version, but within a couple weeks I couldn't resist the upgrade deal for Producer Edition. I'm glad I did. The Sonitus FX suite alone is worth the hundred dollar upgrade! Add to that track EQ, POW-R dithering, and a bunch of other extras...well, I'm a happy little musician. :)

So that's my Cakewalk story, in a (somewhat large) nutshell. If anybody is still awake...thanks for sharing. ;)
post edited by HeatherHaze - 2005/07/26 15:38:41

)-|-( HeatherHaze
http://heatherhaze.com/

"This will be our reply to violence: to make music more intensely, more beautifully, more devotedly than ever before." ~ Leonard Bernstein

Cakewalk by Bandlab
Studio One 3.5, Cubase 9.5
Intel Core i7  8700, 32Gb RAM
Focusrite Scarlett 18i20
V-Studio VS-700
Slate Raven MTi2
Windows 10 Professional 64-bit
...and a whole bunch of other stuff.
johndale
Max Output Level: -43 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3228
RE: Why do you use Sonar? (da truth!) 2005/07/26 15:38:53 (permalink)
Because I'm an idiot and can't get any other program to record. Plus I spend all my money on drugs so Sonar is all I can afford. On the bright side Sonar has always worked well for me and you do not have to sell your daughter to have a killer studio......................JDW
saturdaysaint
Max Output Level: -82 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 447
RE: Why do you use Sonar? (da truth!) 2005/07/26 15:59:03 (permalink)
When I shopped 3 years ago, there weren't many VST and VSTi compatible sequencers out. I didn't want the shoddy Digi001, so it was basically between SX and Sonar. One trip to the Steinberg forum and I was so worried at all the P/O'd users that I asked them whether I should get SX or Sonar - the clear consensus in that thread of Cubase users was that Sonar was the way to go!

If I were deciding now, my decision might be more difficult with Live, Tracktion and even EnergyXT doing most of what I really need. But now that I'm used to those wonderful track lanes, the exemplary freeze and group editing functions, I don't think I'll be switching any time soon.
PCODE
  • Total Posts : 309
RE: Why do you use Sonar? (da truth!) 2005/07/26 16:12:27 (permalink)
Cakewalk is all I know, from the days of floppy disk “DOS” version midi only cakewalk to today’s 32bit DAW and hopefully tomorrows 64Bit DAW… cakewalk does all I want to do, so why should I learn something new…? Now that is the question.
eric_peterson
Max Output Level: -68 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1103
RE: Why do you use Sonar? (da truth!) 2005/07/26 19:30:26 (permalink)
Heh, I just realized that the only reason why I've been using Sonar for the past 10 years (starting w/ Cakewalk 5, then 6, Sonar1, 2 and now 4PE) is: I have too many unfinished projects; it would be impossible to convert them to a different format.

Da truth? I'm just delusional.. :-)
willhaven
  • Total Posts : 23
RE: Why do you use Sonar? (da truth!) 2005/07/26 21:20:55 (permalink)
1) I refuse to by Apple products because they have a monopoly on their hardware and now all they have to show for it is a very loyal minority of users.
2) Pro Tools is a great program, but I am a PC guy. I play PC games and I develop video games for a living. PC is a way of life for me and I can't compromise for that, especially when Apple products and Pro Tools are both so expensive.
3) When I heard that Pro Tools for PC wasn't that great(5 years back), I started looking into other options. I got Pro Audio 9 about 5 years ago and got used to it. I just built a new home studio and tried out other software, but the Sonar 4 demo felt like home. So, here I am again.
4) The interface is functional without having buttons that are too small, graphics that are too big, and while still having most options I use right there onscreen.
5) Upgrade price from PA9 to Sonar 4 Producer was very reasonable. :)
boonesyndicate
Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 54
RE: Why do you use Sonar? (da truth!) 2005/07/26 22:50:26 (permalink)
It all started in 1997. I received my first computer and finally I would be able to use a sequencer to keep my compositions together, and remind me of what other incomplete compositions sounded like after I had left them for a while.

So I went on down to the nearest Guitar Weasals (I mean Center), and a friend of mine hooked me up with demo CDs for Cakewalk 5, Cubase, and Logic for Windows. Both Logic and Cubase were too confusing for me. Cakewalk was very user friendly and I was able to get done what I wanted done instead of scratching my head for 20 days.

I upgraded all the way up to Pro Audio 8. I didn't get into Sonar at the time because it was too much for what I needed to get done. But my computer had become too slow and I decided to build a computer just for music. So since I was going to upgrade my computer, I decided to upgrade my sequencer as well. By this time VST's had come into play, and since Steinberg developed it and Cubase was looking very sexy (at least in the magazines), I got a demo of both Sonar and Cubase. But Sonar won out because Cubase was STILL too difficult for me to use.

So right now I'm at Sonar 3 Producer, but looking to upgrade to 4 Producer later this week.

Hope that story wasn't too long..........
calaverasgrandes
Max Output Level: -61 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1454
RE: Why do you use Sonar? (da truth!) 2005/08/09 02:27:21 (permalink)
because I tried Cubase and it sounded terrible. Cooledit has almost no midi features but a great audio engine. Have been on Pro tools since before it was called that (anyone remember I think it was sound tools?) But its is too expensive, and I have heard negatives about the digi01 and 02. Started on Cakewalk 8. Then went to Sonar 1 then Sonar4. I dont update very often. If it works it works.
post edited by calaverasgrandes - 2005/08/12 16:09:11
anton harris
Max Output Level: -73 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 860
RE: Why do you use Sonar? (da truth!) 2005/08/09 04:55:05 (permalink)
I began with Cool Edit pro 2.0.Loved it!!!! My first daw,AAAAH great memories,all the excitement of a kid with his favourite christmas present.It was,and still is,such a cool thing to have MY OWN studio.I progressed to Adobe Audition 1.0 and progressively to A.A 1.5.(I still use it within S4)and....then....one day it ALL changed.Reading ,i think,Sound on Sound.They have regular 'help columns' for various s/ware including Sonar.I use to read the p.t ones,as a friend had p.t 5.? on his mac and i thought that this is the way i would eventually go.
I saw the sonar column and never paid much attention to it as i was heading down the p.t track.But did notice a web address to download a trial of S3,and well ,as they say,,,,,
THE REST IS HISTORY !!I did try the p.t.m.p. demo tho,but i'm so used to Sonar i wont ever change!!Sorry Digi,Too late for this kid,Best to all,Antz( AND the forum is a cool place with wonderful helpful buggers)
post edited by anton harris - 2005/08/09 05:03:02

A computer,
a drumkit,
a voice,
a little little bit of talent,
www.myspace.com/antzmalandluke

timfarman
Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 169
RE: Why do you use Sonar? (da truth!) 2005/08/09 05:20:12 (permalink)
one day i was sitting at my home computer and it burst into flames, and a deep voice came from it.
'You shall go to yon Guitar and amp centre and purchase Sonar2 with what shekels you have, son.'
Yea , verily, brethren, and so it came to pass.

The ten commandments (also available in PDF )
1.Thou shalt not covet other software (especially if it's German)
2. Don't mention the war
3. Thou shalt not buy anything by 'Creative'
4. Thou shalt not use a Dongle (it wil make you go blind.)
5.Thou shalt not be a troll, even if thou lookest like one
6. Thou shalt not make Rap music (unless thou have-est the fur coat and jewellry)
7.Thou shalt not have thine hair done in a mullet
8. thou shouldst put thine specifications at the bottom of thine posts
9. thou shouldst not eat anything bigger than thine own head
10. Thou shoudst not listen to anything by PHil Collins

post edited by timfarman - 2005/08/09 05:40:30
anton harris
Max Output Level: -73 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 860
RE: Why do you use Sonar? (da truth!) 2005/08/09 05:57:38 (permalink)
Great stuff Tim Except for No.10. He's bald - like i almost am:)
He's left-handed-like i am;)
He sings-like i attempt to!

A computer,
a drumkit,
a voice,
a little little bit of talent,
www.myspace.com/antzmalandluke

timfarman
Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 169
RE: Why do you use Sonar? (da truth!) 2005/08/09 06:20:29 (permalink)
a friend of a cousin of mine does own some Genesis albums
calaverasgrandes
RE: Why do you use Sonar? (da truth!) 2005/08/12 15:51:48 (permalink)
that list is inaccurate. It syas that Sonar studio is limited to 16 I/O. I can personally attest that it will do at least 18 ins and I have played back 22 tracks while recording 2. I am sure it goes higher in track count, but that is the limit of my 828MKII system. At least until I get an 896!
calaverasgrandes
RE: Why do you use Sonar? (da truth!) 2005/08/12 15:56:43 (permalink)
except the fact that it picked the enharmonic spelling for you, and as a modern-sounding composer, that's a no-no.

haha, I refused to learn keyboard for the past 20 years because of its annoying predispostion to cmajor. Now I live in a house with a piano so the keyboard bug has bitten me. I just think of it as a really big drumset!
Page: < 1234 Showing page 4 of 4
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1