Windows Uses Cracked Software....

Page: << < ..678 > Showing page 6 of 8
Author
gcurrie
Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 84
RE: Windows Uses Cracked Software.... 2007/05/01 16:14:57 (permalink)
I've got to set the record straight on this.

Microsoft had a site license for Sound Forge starting back in 1996. How do I know this? I was the one who set up the license.

I worked in the Microsoft Multimedia group from 1990-1997. A coworker left in 1993 (?) to join a little startup called Sonic Foundry. We all thought he was nuts, but when I saw the editor I was impressed as all get out. I even designed their first web site.

I campaigned for a few years to get Microsoft to standardize on Sound Forge as a Windows editing app for their digital media studios. I was finally able to get it happening. (1996 was not yet a good time for Windows media apps - the studios all ran Pro Tools, Deck and Sound Designer.)

So I have no idea why a certain file contained certain metadata - maybe a contract editor took it home and worked on their OWN cracked copy - but Microsoft had legitimate licenses for Sound Forge.
Anubis
Max Output Level: -69 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1059
RE: Windows Uses Cracked Software.... 2007/05/02 09:42:30 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: gcurrie

So I have no idea why a certain file contained certain metadata - maybe a contract editor took it home and worked on their OWN cracked copy - but Microsoft had legitimate licenses for Sound Forge.

You people are still avoiding the glaring issue at hand. The fact that we're still speculating after seven years(!) speaks to the sincerity of the "genuine advantage" hype. MS certainly has the resources, and owes the public it purports to protect, a detailed explanation of how and why cracked software was used in the creation of it's flagship product. If the shoe was on the other foot, their lawyers would most certainly demand such information before shipping you off to Gitmo!

X2Studio_Win7(64)_SamsungChronos_QuNexus_QuNeo_Axiom25_Saffire24Pro_Saffire6USB_EdirolPCR300_Nocturn
Amplitubes_AmpegSVX_StylusRMX_SampleTank/Tron_Komplete7_AddictiveDrums_TRacks3_Wavelab6
miTunes
Roflcopter
Max Output Level: -7.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 6767
RE: Windows Uses Cracked Software.... 2007/05/02 09:54:57 (permalink)
Judge: Wellllll, mr. Roflcopter, the police told me they seized all this illegal MS software installed on your PC. Is that correct?
RC: Ah, you see, that must have been my cousin Eddie - kid always used to play with that thing - so sad, he died last year.
Judge: Ah, I see. Well, in that case, off you go then.
gordonrussell76
Max Output Level: -56.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1879
RE: Windows Uses Cracked Software.... 2007/05/02 10:08:56 (permalink)
Personally I think we should all start speaking esperanto, throw of the shackles of slavery that modern society has become, and start a revolution.

Meet me at the docks

G
ooblecaboodle
Max Output Level: -54 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2102
RE: Windows Uses Cracked Software.... 2007/05/02 10:11:40 (permalink)
You people are still avoiding the glaring issue at hand. The fact that we're still speculating after seven years(!) speaks to the sincerity of the "genuine advantage" hype. MS certainly has the resources, and owes the public it purports to protect, a detailed explanation of how and why cracked software was used in the creation of it's flagship product. If the shoe was on the other foot, their lawyers would most certainly demand such information before shipping you off to Gitmo!

I think you're overestimating the severity of the situation.
Knocked off software was used to create content for use in Windows. The actual knocked off part of it is not included. It is certain that MS employees themselves did not use the warezed software in house, as several people have pointed out.
bigweb
Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 188
RE: Windows Uses Cracked Software.... 2007/05/04 17:53:02 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: CJaysMusic
Would everyone please just stop this whole embarrassing discussion. No harm to me was done by anyone anf lets just move on from this.

I think probably the most important thing that has come out of this thread Cjay
is the fact that there is no need to be embarrassed about your dyslexia.

If you'd just come clean and told us why you have difficulty spelling it
probably would never've reached this point.

You could even mention it in your sig.

Something like:

"Sorry about the spelling, I'm dyslexic."
post edited by bigweb - 2007/05/04 17:56:18
CJaysMusic
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 30423
RE: Windows Uses Cracked Software.... 2007/05/04 17:58:06 (permalink)
Somethings are priveate and personal. That like telling someone to put ive have down syndrome in their signature. Signatures are not for listing persons disabilities. I think your way off on that..
Cj

www.audio-mastering-mixing.com - A Professional Worldwide Audio Mixing & Mastering Studio, Providing Online And Attended Sessions. We also do TV commercials, Radio spots & spoken word books
Audio Blog
Roflcopter
RE: Windows Uses Cracked Software.... 2007/05/04 18:38:51 (permalink)
Besides tying someone a leper-bell on for something that's not even contagious, you would most certainly get pranksters, and the whole point would go out the window, fast.

'I suffer from Parkinheimer's: I forget to shake' type of thing.

[edit for typo]
post edited by Roflcopter - 2007/05/04 18:42:16

I'm a perfectionist, and perfect is a skinned knee.
bigweb
RE: Windows Uses Cracked Software.... 2007/05/04 19:07:27 (permalink)
Somethings are private and personal. That like telling someone to put ive have down syndrome in their signature. Signatures are not for listing persons disabilities. I think your way off on that..

Ok
As you will.
But unless you deal with it up front
you're always gonna be haunted by
the spelling thing.
It would seem the real problem here is
your own inability to accept your condition.

Dyslexia does not make you any less intelligent.
Even before I knew about it I could see you were very smart.

And if you look back at the posts I made about your spelling,
you can see that I suspected very early on that you might
have a learning difficulty.

You can't hide this Cjay.

It's very obvious from the outside looking in.
If you're not prepared to use a spellchecker to cover up your
spelling errors why try and hide it?

By the way, I make typos and spelling errors all the time.
I just take the time to correct them with the spell checker
or editing when I notice a typo.

post edited by bigweb - 2007/05/04 19:12:59
CJaysMusic
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 30423
RE: Windows Uses Cracked Software.... 2007/05/04 19:12:34 (permalink)
Your The one with the problem Bigweb. What the hell is your problem. Its none of your business. Dont be so concerned about me, im not concerned about you. thats for sure. You should put your a Noisy little twat in your signature, if you want people to list their disabilities in their signature. why dont you be the first and list your. NO ONE IS PERFECT, EVEN YOU. Cant YOU LET THIS GO
Cj

www.audio-mastering-mixing.com - A Professional Worldwide Audio Mixing & Mastering Studio, Providing Online And Attended Sessions. We also do TV commercials, Radio spots & spoken word books
Audio Blog
Honest_Al
Max Output Level: -39 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3642
RE: Windows Uses Cracked Software.... 2007/05/04 19:20:00 (permalink)
If it matters at all I think that your spelling is great for the last few days.. who cares!

bigweb - it was the right thing to do..you apologized back then (it takes a man..u know) and i'm sure that everyone were happy to see this thread going on.."on topic" somewhat..

now, the signature thing is a bad idea IMO.. just let it go..maybe edit those last posts or remove the "weird requests" parts of them

edit: hey Vovchik..you're here I see..you're hardly posting..don't be a stranger!
post edited by Honest_Al - 2007/05/04 19:23:38
whitefalcon
Max Output Level: -67 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1161
RE: Windows Uses Cracked Software.... 2007/05/04 19:54:53 (permalink)
Why do you always rain on my parade. Damn you Al. Whats the difference if i give the URL or just paste the article. Its one less thing someone has to do to click it. If i wanted anyone to critique my spelling or if i gave a damn about my spelling i would just click the spell check in my toolbar, But im not obsessed about spelling every single freeking damn word correctly. I could give 2 $hits about that. Why dont you go teach an English class or something and get off my freeking god DAMN back.
Cj

;)
CJ next time just put some spelling errors in there and you will be fine.
That is an intersting story though
Lots of file can be opened as text files in Word and you will find who created the file in the file opened.
I use this many times to read damaged tif files to see whether it was created as a black and white tif or color.
I think you can do the same things to mp3 files.
Thanks for sharing
whitefalcon
Max Output Level: -67 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1161
RE: Windows Uses Cracked Software.... 2007/05/04 19:58:01 (permalink)
If it matters at all I think that your spelling is great for the last few days.. who cares!

bigweb - it was the right thing to do..you apologized back then (it takes a man..u know) and i'm sure that everyone were happy to see this thread going on.."on topic" somewhat..

now, the signature thing is a bad idea IMO.. just let it go..maybe edit those last posts or remove the "weird requests" parts of them

edit: hey Vovchik..you're here I see..you're hardly posting..don't be a stranger!

To me it does not matter if you reverse some letters or not...
Putting your ideas on paper is what matters.
Remember there are people that will critize everything so ignore them... or buy them a Flamer T-Shirt... ;)
Honest_Al
Max Output Level: -39 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3642
RE: Windows Uses Cracked Software.... 2007/05/04 20:04:47 (permalink)
To me it does not matter if you reverse some letters or not...

I didn't check my own post..maybe you did? does it have aby reversed letters there? just wonderin' ...

oh..I wrote "who cares".. ddn't I?
bigweb
RE: Windows Uses Cracked Software.... 2007/05/04 21:33:44 (permalink)
ooops ....double post again!

post edited by bigweb - 2007/05/04 21:37:37

No one is perfect, not even me!
bigweb
RE: Windows Uses Cracked Software.... 2007/05/04 21:35:17 (permalink)
Your The one with the problem Bigweb. What the hell is your problem.

I don't have a problem Cjay... I just made a couple of suggestions is all...
It's pretty obvious that you're the one with the problem.

Its none of your business.

I'm sorry mate , but I have just as much right as you or anyone else to put my opinion up on any topic mentioned here...
You don't have the right to censor me.
Don't be so concerned about me, im not concerned about you. thats for sure.
You should put your a Noisy little twat in your signature,
Now that's a bit nasty IMHO.... no need to be so vitriolic....
if you want people to list their disabilities in their signature. why dont you be the first and list your.
NO ONE IS PERFECT, EVEN YOU.
Great idea! Done.....

Cant YOU LET THIS GO
OK sorry .... just trying to help.....

post edited by bigweb - 2007/05/04 21:42:43

bigweb
RE: Windows Uses Cracked Software.... 2007/05/04 21:36:19 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: Honest_Al

I respect your opinion Honest_Al but those suggestions
were made in good faith and shall remain.....
I don't see them as being "weird" .

I will respect Cjays request and drop the matter though.

Sorry for not being perfect....
post edited by bigweb - 2007/05/04 21:42:02

mark s
Max Output Level: -68 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1140
RE: Windows Uses Cracked Software.... 2007/05/04 23:38:39 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: gordonrussell76

Personally I think we should all start speaking esperanto, throw of the shackles of slavery that modern society has become, and start a revolution.

Meet me at the docks

G

I'm in on the Esperanto! See you at the docks. How do you say reefer?
MArwood
Max Output Level: -57 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1816
RE: Windows Uses Cracked Software.... 2007/05/05 00:01:13 (permalink)
I feel left out! I have mild dyslexia. The later I stay up the worse it gets. I try to check everything, but my grammar is so bad, why check my spelling! Its a good thing you don't have to spell to record or read/play music.

An old recording saying "Spend the most time on the most important thing"
I apply this to recording and threads.

Max Arwood
Anubis
Max Output Level: -69 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1059
RE: Windows Uses Cracked Software.... 2007/05/05 00:33:43 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: ooblecaboodle

I think you're overestimating the severity of the situation.
Knocked off software was used to create content for use in Windows. The actual knocked off part of it is not included. It is certain that MS employees themselves did not use the warezed software in house, as several people have pointed out.

Here's another analogy. Suppose it became public that a cracked version of word was used to write the next Harry Potter sequel, and it makes gazillions of $$$... as expected. Is anyone naive enough to believe that MS would just let that slide? History dictates that they would "overestimate" and run that author thru a meat grinder. Get serious!

The only thing that is certain is that MS has been mum on the issue for seven years! It's been swept under the rug. Yet people are in jail right now for doing the very same thing.

Awright, you ladies can resume the flame wars again.

X2Studio_Win7(64)_SamsungChronos_QuNexus_QuNeo_Axiom25_Saffire24Pro_Saffire6USB_EdirolPCR300_Nocturn
Amplitubes_AmpegSVX_StylusRMX_SampleTank/Tron_Komplete7_AddictiveDrums_TRacks3_Wavelab6
miTunes
jinga8
Max Output Level: -17 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5817
RE: Windows Uses Cracked Software.... 2007/05/05 00:39:25 (permalink)
...the next Harry Potter sequel...run that author thru a meat grinder.

I am not opposed to this. Just in case you were wondering.
SteveJL
Max Output Level: -29 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4644
RE: Windows Uses Cracked Software.... 2007/05/05 04:48:40 (permalink)
Dear Fellow Forum Members (reply is not directly to Bigweb)

I have filed a Report against CJ (as I previously warned) not about his spelling difficulties, but about his open hostility and willingness to launch attack against any comers. He seems unwilling to curb this hostility and we have a right to not have to tolerate this type of behaviour. We ALL share this forum, it is not CJ's "personal playground" where he can do whatever he likes. He is as accountable as any of us are. He has crossed the line many times lately as far as the TOS goes, and the quote below is a perfect example of this. I am not judging him, I am merely objecting to behaviour that can lead to open "forum warfare", no matter now "provoked" or "justified" he might deem it.

I encourage any other forum members, who are also getting tired of this from CJ, to also hit the Report button on him, so that we can send a message to Cakewalk how we feel about such.

Just trying to get peace back around here
Steve

CJays HOSTILITY

Your The one with the problem Bigweb. What the hell is your problem. Its none of your business. Dont be so concerned about me, im not concerned about you. thats for sure. You should put your a Noisy little twat in your signature, if you want people to list their disabilities in their signature. why dont you be the first and list your. NO ONE IS PERFECT, EVEN YOU. Cant YOU LET THIS GO
Cj

ooblecaboodle
Max Output Level: -54 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2102
RE: Windows Uses Cracked Software.... 2007/05/05 08:07:24 (permalink)
Oh no, the forum police cometh.
Roflcopter
RE: Windows Uses Cracked Software.... 2007/05/05 08:19:06 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: SteveJL
I have filed a Report against CJ (as I previously warned) not about his spelling difficulties, but about his open hostility and willingness to launch attack against any comers.

I think you are over-reacting, same as CJ in a way - but he had provocation, whereas you don't, IMO.

It's not 'against any comers' by the way, that's a gross exaggeration, it's only after serious provocation, as far as I've been able to see.

BTW, if you quote someone, don't add labels like HOSTILITY to the quote, people might take offense at quote-mangling. Maybe even report that, if they had some gripe with you.

Seriously, I would support CJ in this, even though I dislike spelling errors just as bad as anyone else, and I don't always agree with his advice - I've seen him take it back with grace too, whenever it turned out not to be spot-on, which happens to ALL of us.

So really, I don't think you have a case, or any moral obligation really. Your reaction is just way OTT.

Maybe a moderator should just close this POS, and have everyone sort out the rest via PM.

I'm a perfectionist, and perfect is a skinned knee.
SteveJL
RE: Windows Uses Cracked Software.... 2007/05/05 08:58:25 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Roflcopter

ORIGINAL: SteveJL
I have filed a Report against CJ (as I previously warned) not about his spelling difficulties, but about his open hostility and willingness to launch attack against any comers.

I think you are over-reacting, same as CJ in a way - but he had provocation, whereas you don't, IMO.

It's not 'against any comers' by the way, that's a gross exaggeration, it's only after serious provocation, as far as I've been able to see.

BTW, if you quote someone, don't add labels like HOSTILITY to the quote, people might take offense at quote-mangling. Maybe even report that, if they had some gripe with you.

Seriously, I would support CJ in this, even though I dislike spelling errors just as bad as anyone else, and I don't always agree with his advice - I've seen him take it back with grace too, whenever it turned out not to be spot-on, which happens to ALL of us.

So really, I don't think you have a case, or any moral obligation really. Your reaction is just way OTT.

Maybe a moderator should just close this POS, and have everyone sort out the rest via PM.

All good points, and I totally respect your right to express them, and without a single name called or threat of any sort. Now THAT'S how it's done

jinga8
Max Output Level: -17 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5817
RE: Windows Uses Cracked Software.... 2007/05/05 09:03:27 (permalink)
no matter now "provoked" or "justified" he might deem it.

If you courageously admitted to a learning disability, then had a poster relentlessly making that disability an issue, even asking you to put it in your signature, you might feel a little angry too, Steve. CJ is not the bad guy, and regardless of what some people think, is here to learn from us and to help us. Simple as that. You don't have to like him or his advice, and you can always ignore him or even block him. I find his eagerness to help others to be one of the best qualities any forum poster can have. If you think filing a report against him was necessary, great. I don't, and I hope nothing comes of it, as this forum is better off for having all types, from lurkers who rarely chime in, to newbies just learning that Soundblasters suck, to the "old" guys who have been around forever and impart their wisdom when needed most. I am of the opinion that you have grossly overreacted. And that is that.
SteveJL
RE: Windows Uses Cracked Software.... 2007/05/05 09:50:12 (permalink)
Yep I agree we are a diverse bunch and that is one of the things that make this forum one of the (if not THE) best music forums on the Web. I agree CJ's got a good track record of helping people, but for every bit he does, there's 10 more that will do so if he doesn't. We've had to deal with "one-many-army" types before, so I'm satisfied to let Cakewalk deal with things how they see fit as this is their house. So far in this thread, he has invited physical violence, used all kinds of profane language, and demonstrated rellentless hostility, taking everthing personally. Strangest thing of all in all this, is if you search CJ's prior posts using "the" as a string and 300 as total, and glance through a bunch of them, the spelling is quite good over a huge amount, so it only seems to be an "issue" all of a sudden, so it all seems a bit strange to me. But what do I know?

ps to anyone who cares: the PM thing won't work with me, I never check it

sweeneymini
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 39
RE: Windows Uses Cracked Software.... 2007/05/05 09:53:43 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Gavin

ORIGINAL: artsoul

im sitting here at work sipping tea

??????

are you a closet englishman?

I think we should know

Nah, there was no scone involved and he wasn't loudly complaining about Germans while fastening his sandles over his socks.

I must say Gavin, you have such a good grasp of the English language :p
John
Forum Host
  • Total Posts : 30467
RE: Windows Uses Cracked Software.... 2007/05/05 13:53:55 (permalink)
It is time for the this to end. We on this forum are by no means perfect, none of us . I for one have made spelling errors with alarming regularity. On occasion they have been pointed out to me. I still post and will continue to do so.

Cj is not perfect by any means but he does a valuable job here by answering questions quickly from new users that to me are both repetitive and boring. This lets me go on to more interesting things. Knowing that a new user is going to get his/her answer forthwith is a blessing. I thank Cj for doing the grunt work here. Also I fine it remarkable that he has been able to have such deep knowledge in such a short time. This speaks well of his intelligence and his dedication to Sonar.

Now this is a forum for the free exchange of ideas dealing or relating to Sonar and music. It is not a formal institution that has a need for careful scrutiny of every word or thought that is expressed here. It is a forum that has been characterized by a strong since of common interest and community . It would be a great shame if those qualities were to be lost here.

We all need to step back and check our motives in hi-lighting one persons style of writing and make it such an issue.

I have never found Cj to be unreadable or incomprehensible. Therefore it is a wonder why so much energy has been spent on making this so important.

Cj I ask you to not respond to negative post aimed at you on this thread anymore. Those that insist on keeping this going please refrain from further activity in this regard. No more points can be made by either party. Any more comments about this is simply beating a dead horse.

One point though. I use a spell checker and rely on it. I see no good argument for not using one. This is where computers excel. It frees me from not using that word that I want to use because I can’t spell it. This is a liberating wonderful aspect of computers that should never be ignored.

We need to be far more concerned about how we interact with one another so that we do not make anyone feel uncomfortable here.

Now that I have said all that let us now have a virtual group hug. How about those Redwings?

Best
John
craigwilson
Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 201
RE: Windows Uses Cracked Software.... 2007/05/05 14:26:54 (permalink)
Interesting posts! It is somewhat amusing to see microsoft being caught up in the warez zone!

And regarding the tangential spelling/linguistics debate, I learned something in high school creative writing class that I'd like pass along, if you're not sure how to spell it or say it, write around it. English is a rather versatile language and there is almost always a simpler way to express a thought. That being said, when I'm trying to quickly help a fellow forumite, spelling and diction are not as high on my priorty list as just getting the idea across quickly. Certainly I prefer to use perfect grammer (whatever that is) but the scope and breadth and time available to respond in a user forum should/will allow for some sloppiness, whatever language I'm trying to respond in.

word for the day = moil

Why should he toil and moil, and be at so much trouble to pick himself up out the mud, when, in a little while hence, the strong arm of his Uncle will raise and support him?
-- Nathaniel Hawthorne, The Scarlet Letter

moil \MOYL\, intransitive verb:
1. To work with painful effort; to labor; to toil; to drudge.
2. To churn or swirl about continuously.

noun:
1. Toil; hard work; drudgery.
2. Confusion; turmoil.

Enjoy yourself, it's later than you might think.
Page: << < ..678 > Showing page 6 of 8
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1