Page: 12345.. > >> Showing page 1 of 8
Author
CJaysMusic
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 30423
2007/04/28 19:40:46 (permalink)

Windows Uses Cracked Software....

Windows uses pirated software?
Has it ever crossed your mind to use the editor to open a WAV file installed with Windows XP? Nobody will do that - that's what Microsoft probably thought. After all, countless WAV files are stored on a computer, and they are to be heard, not to be watched, right?

No, not exactly. Our colleagues over at Macwelt gave us the idea. We tried it and examined some WAV files that are stored on a drive with a newly installed Windows XP. And we made a stunning discovery. In fact, we didn't even have to search for very long, as coincidence lent us a helping hand. In the Windows system directory, we had our first find, in the directory

"Windows\Help\Tours\WindowsMediaPlayer\Audio\Wav".

Located there are exactly nine WAV files, with a size between 80 and 360 Kilobytes. They serve as background sound during the Windows Media Player Tour. When you open one of these files with the notepad, you at first only see scrambled letters. Of course, you think, it's a sound file, after all.

But things become interesting when you scroll down to the very bottom in notepad. Located there is a type of watermarking, which records the software that the Microsoft musician used to create the WAV files.

We found the following text there:
LISTB INFOICRD 2000-04-06 IENG Deepz0ne ISFT Sound Forge 4.5

At first, that sounds anything but spectacular. It seems as if the Microsoft musician or the freelance musician commissioned by Microsoft used the Sony-made software " Sound Forge " (formerly Sonic) in its 4.5 version. Sound Forge is a tool for professionals and enables users to create WAV, AIFF, MP3 and other music files priced at $400.

On its face, all that's not unusual: Microsoft uses professional software. Who would've thought? But wait a minute, who or what is "DeepzOne"?

Bingo!

DeepzOne is (or at least was) member of the Warez group Radium that had specialized on cracking music software. Along with a person using the alias "Sandor," he was also co-founder of this group, which was established in 1997( see in this interview ). In addition, it was DeepzOne who started circulating the cracked 4.5 version of Sound Forge a few years ago.

A few years back, the group "Radium" caused quite a stir. It cracked the original Fraunhofer MP3 codec in order improve the limited MP3 codec that comes along
with Microsoft. To listen to MP3s, the Windows codec was solid, but it offered only limited encoding functions. The Radium codec, by contrast, boasted an improved encoder (up to 320 Kbit/s). During this Warez release, then, the name DeepzOne" surfaced. But what is the name "DeepzOne" doing in nine WAV files in Windows XP? Nothing more than a coincidence? One has the suspicion that that the files were generated with the cracked version of Sound Forge 4.5. It's difficult to say whether Microsoft itself did that or one of the freelancers. Only the Redmond-based employees in charge of the Windows Media Player will know that for sure. It seems, though, as if someone wanted to get around filling out an investment order to buy a software worth $400.

The topic still raises a moral problem, though, as Microsoft is quick to report every oh-so-minor success in the fight against piracy. In the wake of that move, the company also joined the BSA (Business Software Alliance), which has devoted itself to the "fight against software piracy" and persecutes violaters around the globe. But maybe BSA knows which office door it should knock on

Microsoft has yet to issue a statement. It will be interesting to get the company's position on this issue.

Cj

www.audio-mastering-mixing.com - A Professional Worldwide Audio Mixing & Mastering Studio, Providing Online And Attended Sessions. We also do TV commercials, Radio spots & spoken word books
Audio Blog

223 Replies Related Threads

Honest_Al
    Max Output Level: -39 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3642
    RE: Windows Uses Cracked Software.... 2007/04/28 19:55:23 (permalink)
    Microsoft has yet to issue a statement. It will be interesting to get the company's position on this issue.

Cj

Hey Cj.. it really looks like YOU wrote this one..eh..actually not. All your spelling mistakes are missing!

Why not simply giving a URL? like http://techrepublic.com.com/5208-11183-0.html?forumID=89&threadID=173539&messageID=1765547

We talked about this once in this forum.. it's old news
    mhuang
    Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 94
    RE: Windows Uses Cracked Software.... 2007/04/28 19:58:53 (permalink)
    if you look where to look, some AAA game title also have sound designers that uses cracked version of sound forge...

Michael Huang - Sound Editor, Composer.
    http://www.filmnoise.com
    http://www.imdb.me/michael

CJaysMusic
    RE: Windows Uses Cracked Software.... 2007/04/28 20:01:14 (permalink)
    Why do you always rain on my parade. Damn you Al. Whats the difference if i give the URL or just paste the article. Its one less thing someone has to do to click it. If i wanted anyone to critique my spelling or if i gave a damn about my spelling i would just click the spell check in my toolbar, But im not obsessed about spelling every single freeking damn word correctly. I could give 2 $hits about that. Why dont you go teach an English class or something and get off my freeking god DAMN back.
    Cj

www.audio-mastering-mixing.com - A Professional Worldwide Audio Mixing & Mastering Studio, Providing Online And Attended Sessions. We also do TV commercials, Radio spots & spoken word books
    Audio Blog
    CJaysMusic
    RE: Windows Uses Cracked Software.... 2007/04/28 20:03:31 (permalink)
    Im sorry if its was dicussed before, This was the first that i heard about it, and probably many others also. how many Freeking times does the same topic come up in one day. if that was the rules, there would be 10 new post everyday......
    Cj

Audio Blog
    Honest_Al
    RE: Windows Uses Cracked Software.... 2007/04/28 20:14:10 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: CJaysMusic

Why do you always rain on my parade. Damn you Al. Whats the difference if i give the URL or just paste the article. Its one less thing someone has to do to click it. If i wanted anyone to critique my spelling or if i gave a damn about my spelling i would just click the spell check in my toolbar, But im not obsessed about spelling every single freeking damn word correctly. I could give 2 $hits about that. Why dont you go teach an English class or something and get off my freeking god DAMN back.
    Cj

ooooohhh... no need to get so upset .. I'm actually one of the guys here that stopped talking about your spelling a long long time ago and started to simply appreciate your posts here..as they are (there were some threads where I was actally laughing with you about your typos and spelling..I did let go already where others still nagged you about it..I think it was that English dude..forgot the name.. around the time where half of the posts here had the color/colour thing etc.)

one less click sounds great I actually didn't mean you should JUST post the URL, my bad.. I know that's what I wrote there.. I tried to say there are no credits anywhere and also it doesn't look like you quoted anyone there..that's all.. still raining on you, CJ? I'm sure you didn't want to take the credit for the article..

If you notice there was also a laughing icon after "All your spelling mistakes are missing!" .. should I use even more emoticons and some WINKing ones next time?

Edit: hmm.. typical..it were Germans that found it good job! http://slashdot.org/articles/04/11/13/0036243.shtml
    post edited by Honest_Al - 2007/04/28 20:19:46
    CJaysMusic
    RE: Windows Uses Cracked Software.... 2007/04/28 20:26:13 (permalink)
    No id did not mean to take credit for that, Everyone knows my writting style. And i probably went alittle overboard, but making fun of someones spelling is like making fun of them because there fat or ugly. Its just wrong. I also having a bad day at work, and im missing the NFL draft. I didnt mean to get angry at you Al
    Cj

Audio Blog
    John
    Forum Host
    • Total Posts : 30467
    RE: Windows Uses Cracked Software.... 2007/04/28 20:35:24 (permalink)
    How do we know that Sonic foundry didn't use a cracked c++ library to code SF 4.5. I am not going to rain on anyone here for I am not wet.

Cj provides a valuable service by jumping on every new thread as quickly as possible leaving us free to pursue more beneficial endeavors. Cj is a one man forum.

Al you and I have been on this forum from the beginning and we have a much lower post count then Cj. The thing that gets me about Cj is he is right most of the time. That is a hard thing to be so often.

Keep on keeping on Cj

Best
    John

Honest_Al
    RE: Windows Uses Cracked Software.... 2007/04/28 20:42:08 (permalink)
    Hi John :)

Honest_Al came right after Al got banned Al had over 4600 posts when it happened... here and there you can still see some of those if you use the Search page.
    John
    Forum Host
    RE: Windows Uses Cracked Software.... 2007/04/28 21:09:07 (permalink)
    Al you surprise me I was trying to make a point that I was sure you would get without getting others upset. So I guess I was much too subtle

Was it you that got banned? It seems I vaguely recall an Al from the long dead past. No need to implicate yourself though. After all without your emoticons what would we do.

It was your use of them that started me using them. See you have had a impact here.

But all kidding aside you are the resident expert on things that involve the registry (which is most everything). I don't know how many times you have fixed problem by your deep knowledge there. I thank you for that.

Best
    John

bitman
    Max Output Level: -34 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4105
    RE: Windows Uses Cracked Software.... 2007/04/28 22:04:07 (permalink)
    Aw that's an old one.
    Anubis
    Max Output Level: -69 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1059
    RE: Windows Uses Cracked Software.... 2007/04/29 01:51:09 (permalink)
    Hey CJ, thanks for bringing that up. I, unlike some of our more jaded forum brethren, missed that one. But, the real pressing question is... what happened? Was anyone held accountable? How can this blatant violation of intellectual property rights stand? Clearly, if the shoe was on the other foot MS would have nailed the motha f's in their coffins, before burying them alive! Did MS settle with Sony or Sonic Foundry in a hushed, out of court deal?

edit- wmpaud5.wav also lists version 4.0

please note- my spelling is impeccable and I never use a spell checker
    post edited by Anubis - 2007/04/29 02:18:49

X2Studio_Win7(64)_SamsungChronos_QuNexus_QuNeo_Axiom25_Saffire24Pro_Saffire6USB_EdirolPCR300_Nocturn
    Amplitubes_AmpegSVX_StylusRMX_SampleTank/Tron_Komplete7_AddictiveDrums_TRacks3_Wavelab6
    miTunes
    CJaysMusic
    RE: Windows Uses Cracked Software.... 2007/04/29 01:57:30 (permalink)
    Op have informed me that this was an old topic, I just came across it by accident and copied it for the forum. From the looks of it, it was prbably settledout of court and out of the public eyes. This is the first, ive heard of it and im pretty up to date on current events, but like i said, this was awhile ago.
    Cj

Audio Blog
    JV
    Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 476
    RE: Windows Uses Cracked Software.... 2007/04/29 03:44:14 (permalink)
    OK GANG.................Once again I BEG CAKE to offer a spellcheck!!!!!!
    NO ONE has time to keep checking their spelling!!!!!!!! Just to answer a question!
    You want to answer the question AND YOU KNOW the answwer but your spelling sucks so you lok oops luk....oopps....look, stupid when REALLY you just don't have the time to tripple check your spelling and if you DO....you get bored and don't want to answer so may, oopps many... questions!!
    SONAR.......WE NEED A FRICKIN SPELLCHECK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

JV
    "You can't soar with Eagles when you're flyin with Buzzards"
    beethoven17
    Max Output Level: -82 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 422
    RE: Windows Uses Cracked Software.... 2007/04/29 08:24:30 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: JV

...or possibly a better education system?

andrew
    Sonar 8.5 PE,  Saffire LE, Garritan Steinway & Orchestra, EZDummer, Rapture, Truepiano, no voice, little talent
    CJaysMusic
    RE: Windows Uses Cracked Software.... 2007/04/29 08:41:58 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: beethoven17

ORIGINAL: JV

...or possibly a better education system?

I have a Masters in Chemisrty, Hematology, Microbiology, Immunohematology, and Serolgy. I'm very much edumucated LOL
    What we need is les nitpicking on typoes and the accasional mis-spelling of a word. Most of the time when im typing, i either mixing a song at home or working, so my mind is doing a few things than just concentratng on a keyboard.
    Cj
    Damn, i just made another typo (les) and i know its spelled less, so give us a break, im tired of this B/S
    post edited by CJaysMusic - 2007/04/29 08:43:27

Audio Blog
    jinga8
    Max Output Level: -17 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5817
    RE: Windows Uses Cracked Software.... 2007/04/29 09:14:35 (permalink)
    so give us a break, im tired of this B/S

CJ, you gotta ignore JV. He's pathetic. You do realize that the vast majority of people on this forum don't care one bit about spelling errors if you get your message across, right? I never even see it as an issue until idiots bring it up every once in a while. CJ, just keep on being helpful to and learning from the forum. You DA MAN!!!

JV, please cease to exist immediately. Thank you.
    Signed, Everyone on Earth
    CJaysMusic
    RE: Windows Uses Cracked Software.... 2007/04/29 09:18:45 (permalink)
    Your right about that JV guy or kid, i had i run in with him a few months ago. He's rotton to the core. good night or good morning. sleeping pills kicking in

Cj

Audio Blog
    APC3
    Max Output Level: -66 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1228
    RE: Windows Uses Cracked Software.... 2007/04/29 11:32:14 (permalink)
    Man I relly hate it wen somone points out my missppellings, usualy im tring to type fast, and also, like CJ, doing sumthin else @ the same tyme. Maybe I should look fo typos and post, that way I could catch up to CJ :). Ya'll better watch yer spellin, I'm on the prowl.
    xackley
    Max Output Level: -45.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2973
    RE: Windows Uses Cracked Software.... 2007/04/29 12:24:39 (permalink)
    This isn't the first instance I have seen of direct copying without reference. These are my thoughts on the subject.

Plagiarism is the unauthorized use or close imitation of the language and thoughts of another author and the representation of them as one's own original work. Unlike cases of forgery, in which the authenticity of the writing, document, or some other kind of object, itself is in question, plagiarism is concerned with the issue of false attribution. Plagiarism can also occur unconsciously; in some cultures certain forms of plagiarism are accepted because the concept can be interpreted differently.

Within academia, plagiarism by students, professors, or researchers is considered academic dishonesty or academic fraud and offenders are subject to academic censure. In journalism, plagiarism is considered a breach of journalistic ethics, and reporters caught plagiarizing typically face disciplinary measures ranging from suspension to termination. Some individuals caught plagiarizing in academic or journalistic contexts claim that they plagiarized unintentionally, by failing to include quotations or give the appropriate citation. While plagiarism in scholarship and journalism has a centuries-old history, the development of the Internet, where articles appear as electronic text, has made the physical act of copying the work of others much easier.

Plagiarism is different from copyright infringement. While both terms may apply to a particular act, they emphasize different aspects of the transgression. Copyright infringement is a violation of the rights of the copyright holder, which involves the loss of income and artistic control of the material when it is used without the copyright holder's consent. On the other hand, plagiarism is concerned with the unearned increment to the plagiarizing author's reputation.

Both plagiarism and copyright infringement are concepts that vary by culture. In Western thought, both are viewed negatively, many assert that this is due to the relative affluence of these nations and the monopoly they hold on information. In many other cultures, plagiarism and copyright infringement are seen as either a product of necessity, or the most expedient means to an end.

Edit to fix spelling
    post edited by xackley - 2007/04/29 12:46:07

Van Gogh, seeing more that a vase of flowers.
    http://www.vggallery.com
    Newer Song "River", let me know if you don't like it.
    http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=162668
    Anubis
    Max Output Level: -69 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1059
    RE: Windows Uses Cracked Software.... 2007/04/29 12:27:41 (permalink)
    OK ladies, sorry to interrupt the flame wars but, taking things back on topic... what happened? Well, I've done some digging around and the last mention of this "discovery" is back in July of '06 and it seems Redmond is still mum on the issue.
    This is a pretty big deal folks! MS has gotten away with this for seven years and counting! Where is the BSA(Business Software Alliance) on this issue? There is clearly a double standard here. At the time that these files were created and incorporated into the Windows® OS, Sony had not yet bought out Sonic Foundry. The company was going under and it seems that MS just rolled right over them. I have a friend who's an exec. at Sony, I'll ask him next time I see him, about what he knows of the matter.

Open these wav files in your favorite audio editor(Wavelab) and here's what you'll see:
    Engineer: DeepzOne
    Originator software: Sound Forge 4.5
    Creation date: 2000-04=06

More shady bidnez? Since you're on the subject of spelling... DeepzOne spelled backwards = Enoz-peed, the author of the Windows® XP startup sound!

disclaimer- Everything in this post, including the number 4.5 is or may become a trademark of Microsoft, Corp., except for trademarks of their respective owners and are used for product identification purposes only.
    post edited by Anubis - 2007/04/29 12:34:00

X2Studio_Win7(64)_SamsungChronos_QuNexus_QuNeo_Axiom25_Saffire24Pro_Saffire6USB_EdirolPCR300_Nocturn
    Amplitubes_AmpegSVX_StylusRMX_SampleTank/Tron_Komplete7_AddictiveDrums_TRacks3_Wavelab6
    miTunes
    John
    Forum Host
    RE: Windows Uses Cracked Software.... 2007/04/29 14:48:34 (permalink)
    Well I am not going to defend Cj but guys lighten up a bit . I knew at the first sentence that Cj did not write the article. So what! He was only trying to inform us about something that to him was important. Big deal that he did not dot his i's and cross his t's. the gist was clear. Let it be.
    Let he who is without sin throw the first stone. It sure wont be me!

Best
    John
    jinga8
    Max Output Level: -17 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5817
    RE: Windows Uses Cracked Software.... 2007/04/29 15:04:28 (permalink)
    Well I am not going to defend Cj

at this you have failed miserably (a good thing!)
    John
    Forum Host
    RE: Windows Uses Cracked Software.... 2007/04/29 15:27:21 (permalink)
    at this you have failed miserably (a good thing!)

You do realize that you caught me off guard and I was scratching my head then it hit me what you were saying. Nice one.

I can't be trusted I guess

Best
    John
    Ognis
    Max Output Level: -24 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5129
    RE: Windows Uses Cracked Software.... 2007/04/29 15:36:43 (permalink)
    DAMNIT
    CJaysMusic
    RE: Windows Uses Cracked Software.... 2007/04/29 16:22:00 (permalink)
    Geeze freeking 4@#$@#$, I just posted something that i found interesting, %#$%, have me arrested if you think i did something wrong. Might as well have everyone arrested while your at it.

Cj

Audio Blog
    Ognis
    RE: Windows Uses Cracked Software.... 2007/04/29 16:25:51 (permalink)
    Cj, you just talk too got-damn much.
    CJaysMusic
    RE: Windows Uses Cracked Software.... 2007/04/29 16:32:52 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Ognis

Cj, you just talk too got-damn much.

I havent done any talking, just typing, and typing badly.
    Cj

Audio Blog
    Susan G
    • Total Posts : 12016
    RE: Windows Uses Cracked Software.... 2007/04/29 16:36:47 (permalink)
    Hi Cj-
    Might as well have everyone arrested while your at it.

I agree, and stop construction on all roads -- just shut 'em all down, I say!

Frustrated commuter-

-Susan

2.30 gigahertz Intel Core i7-3610QM; 16 GB RAM
    Windows 10 x64; NI Komplete Audio 6.
    SONAR Platinum (Lexington) x64
    Ognis
    RE: Windows Uses Cracked Software.... 2007/04/29 16:37:24 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Susan G

Hi Cj-
    Might as well have everyone arrested while your at it.

I agree, and stop construction on all roads -- just shut 'em all down, I say!

Frustrated commuter-

-Susan

funny
    Page: 12345.. > >> Showing page 1 of 8
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1