The Orchestral Shootout, Phase Two: now with PRIZES!

Page: 12345 > Showing page 1 of 5
Author
bitflipper
01100010 01101001 01110100 01100110 01101100 01101
  • Total Posts : 26036
2010/07/30 12:05:51 (permalink)

The Orchestral Shootout, Phase Two: now with PRIZES!

(Note: If you haven't been following the shootout saga, the backstory is here.)

The orchestral shootout has turned out to be very popular, with 30 submissions received at the time of this writing and more coming in every day. And as of today, those files are finally available for listening via a website crafted for this purpose by Randy Bowser.

Here's the site. I think you'll agree that Randy's done a bang-up job in a very short timeframe. But wait, don't go there just yet -- you'll want to read the rest of this post first!

In the previous thread, wherein we initially kicked off this exercise, it was stated (several times) that "this is NOT a contest and there is NO PRIZE". Well, that is no longer the case. It is now officially a contest and there are in fact multiple prizes!

And not some crummy joke prize you wouldn't want to win, no sir. We're talking about a grand prize of no less than the entire Garritan collection, plus individual Garritan libraries for the runners-up. Is that just too cool, or what?

If you visit the site today you'll see that there is currently no provision for voting for your favorite trek-track. Polling won't be open until after the submission deadline. But starting today you will be able to hear all the submissions there. Note that they are anonymous numbered files, so as to encourage objectivity. Details will only be given after the end of voting. For now, jot down the numbers of your favorite entries for future reference.

If you've been sitting on the fence about maybe participating in this project, now's the time to get crackin' because you have until August 15th to send in your submissions. On that date we'll turn on the polling and you'll have the following two weeks to vote for your favorite entry.

WARNING: You'll only get to vote once, so listen to them all before voting.

NOTE: if you have already sent in a submission, you're already a contestant. You don't need to send the same file again.

The Rules

In Phase One we left the rules of the game pretty much open and vague. Our objective was simply to hear what could be done with a common MIDI file using various libraries. But now that there are prizes (!) at stake, we have to be a little more specific. So here are the rules:

1. Only minor modifications to the MIDI file are allowed, in order to accommodate your libraries. You cannot write new parts. Examples of acceptable modifications: stretching notes for better legato, moving percussion hits to a different MIDI note, adjusting velocities, adding articulation switches, copying sections or even entire tracks to accommodate switching between patches.

2. Stick to the original voices. Substitutions that don't compromise the original arrangement are acceptable, such as a tuba in place of a bass trombone. But please, no choirs to replace violins or fuzz guitar for the trombones.

3. Although we'd prefer you to use a single library for the benefit of the original purpose of this exercise, multiple libraries are acceptable. Please use only one library per section, though. For example, one library for strings, another for brass - that's OK. Just make sure to list all synths and libraries that you used when you submit your entry.

4. Submit only MP3 files. They can be high bit rate for best quality but please, no uncompressed waves. (And although it's not a rule, it would be nice if you trimmed leading and trailing silence from the files before sending, to save Randy from having to do that for you.)

5. Any and all DAW tricks and processing are fair game. Just make sure you document your techniques when you send in your submission so others can learn from you.

6. Email your submissions here. Please include your full name in the email, as well as your SONAR forum handle if applicable, and any relevant notes about the tools and techniques you employed.

7. Please limit the number of submissions to no more than 6 entries, and only send multiple entries if they are different from one another. Flooding the inbox will not increase your chances of winning. Sending in different variations with different libraries might, though, and is encouraged.

8. The deadline for submissions is Sunday, August 15th. Anything received after that date will still be posted and made available for listening, but will not be eligible for the contest.

9. Voting begins on Monday, August 16th. You may only vote once, and any attempt to rig the voting will result in a late-night visit from my cousin Guido, whose day job is collecting past-due loan payments.

10. Voting ends September 1st. At that time, the details of all submissions will be revealed, including who did what with which libraries, synths, plugins and DAWs.

11. Winners will be notified via email on September 2nd, and the winners will be posted on the site shortly after. There will be a grand prize consisting of the complete Garritan collection, plus individual libraries for the runners-up.

All else is in doubt, so this is the truth I cling to. 

My Stuff

127 Replies Related Threads

Dave King
    Max Output Level: -46.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2862
    Re:The Orchestral Shootout, Phase Two: now with PRIZES! 2010/07/30 12:12:05 (permalink)
    Very cool Bit!  This thing has really grown legs!
    post edited by Dave King - 2010/07/30 20:30:50

Dave King
    www.davekingmusic.com

SONAR X2 Producer 64-Bit 
    StudioCat PC
    Windows 7 Home Premium, Service Pack 1 
    Intel Corel i5 3450 CPU @3.10 GHz 
    RAM 8 GB
    M-Audio Delta 44

M-Audio MidiSport 2x2

rbowser
    Max Output Level: -10 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 6518
    Re:The Orchestral Shootout, Phase Two: now with PRIZES! 2010/07/30 13:22:43 (permalink)
    OH MAN! -- Does Gary Garritan know about this?  --KIDDING!  hehe--- Gary is justifiably well known for being an extremely generous guy, always wanting to encourage musicians to do the most they can with their music.

It was still a huge and fantastic surprise when Gary G. said he wanted to stir up even more interest in this event by supplying prizes.

The entire Garritan Library for the Grand Prize - That's one heck of a great prize.  GPO, Concert and Marching Band, Jazz and Big Band, The Authorized Steinway - !---And I think the up-coming Garritan World Library is going to be in the offing also.

SO - go ahead, BURY me with entries - I'll be glad to get them up on the website.

Live long and orchestrate!

Randy B.

Sonar X3e Studio
    Roland A-800 MIDI keyboard controller
    Alesis i|O2 interface
    Gigabyte Technology-AMD Phenom II @ 3 GHz
    8 Gb RAM 6 Core Windows 7 Home Premium x64
    with dual monitors
    John6528
    Max Output Level: -82 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 409
    Re:The Orchestral Shootout, Phase Two: now with PRIZES! 2010/07/30 13:25:54 (permalink)
    Ooops... I changed bones and some winds to open voicing. thought bones were too muddy and close winds caused loud partials and fuzziness in my synth. Don't know how to compensate for that. Also finally just dropped the 2nd flute out.

Will try and do another.

John
    rbowser
    Re:The Orchestral Shootout, Phase Two: now with PRIZES! 2010/07/30 13:40:28 (permalink)
    John6528

Ooops... I changed bones and some winds to open voicing. thought bones were too muddy and close winds caused loud partials and fuzziness in my synth. Don't know how to compensate for that. Also finally just dropped the 2nd flute out.

Will try and do another.

John

Hi, John - I see - You mean you re-wrote the MIDI file to make the voicings more spread out.  Right, that is against the rules.  If you think the bones sound too muddy, you need to try thinning out low frequencies with EQ.  The loud partials and "fuzziness" with the winds - could be a unique artifact from the software you're using.

Dropped the 2nd flute out--you mean you erased the bottom line?---Don't do that, you need to use those notes.

We have 30 submissions so far, and they've managed to use the file as it is - It's working great because when listening, the same arrangement is very discernible, but the results vary a lot because of the soft synths used, and what the contributor did to make the recording.

You can do it.  Put things back, and do your best to make your chosen synth sound as good as you can manage.  That's all anybody's done!

Randy B.

Sonar X3e Studio
    Alesis i|O2 interface
    with dual monitors
    planetearth
    Max Output Level: -75 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 763
    Re:The Orchestral Shootout, Phase Two: now with PRIZES! 2010/07/30 13:53:04 (permalink)
    This is GREAT news, but I have a question/point/issue/rambling paragraph/suggestion....

The Question:
    Since this wasn't a "contest" initially, and since I already knew many people here have many of the same libraries I do (EWQL, Kontakt/VSL, SampleTank, etc.), I figured that by submitting, I'd be duplicating someone else's effort in showcasing the library. The showcase of the library was supposed to be the point of this great exercise...so how can there be "winners" unless the submissions are gauged on how well people arranged and produced for that library? And as we saw, if your library doesn't even have some of the sounds, you're kinda stuck (a policy I agree with, by the way), but then...wouldn't that limitation affect your entry? Doesn't that effectively change the scope of the "contest"?

The Point:
    The limitations of anyone's production chops were never an issue with this, but I'm afraid that if there are several EWQL or NI or Garritan submissions, the "winner" will be based upon which one was arranged and produced the best--and that wasn't the point. (In fact, people were told not to worry about perfecting the parts or the production.)

The Rambling Paragraph:
    Personally, I'm not worried. I was going to submit a Roland D-10 version, half as a laugh and half so everyone could see what this contest would have sounded like in 1987! (Besides, it gave me a reason to see if the thing still worked.) While I'd kill (figuratively speaking...more or less) for a Garritan collection, I'm not making this point for that reason.

The Suggestion:
    How about just randomly picking someone from those who have submitted? That way, no one is judged based upon something they were told they wouldn't be judged on, anyway. I haven't even submitted yet, so I'm not suggesting this just to make it easier for me to win, and if I do submit, you don't even have to put my name in the hat. I just think it would be more fair to give away this excellent prize as a reward for going through the exercise in the first place.

Your thoughts?

SONAR Platinum ▪ NI Komplete, Korg DLC, Arturia V5 Collection, Dimension Pro, IK Multimedia & other synths ▪ Les Paul, Peavey and Yamaha guitars. Listen to some of my stuff here: https://soundcloud.com/shadowsoflife . Comments from other SONAR users are always welcome!
    Jose7822
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 10031
    Re:The Orchestral Shootout, Phase Two: now with PRIZES! 2010/07/30 14:18:56 (permalink)
    I hate you Bit!  You told me there was no prize :-P

Naw, this is really awesome guys.  You both have done a great job here, for sure.

May the best entry win :-)

Intel Q9400 2.66 GHz
    8 GB of RAM @ 800 Mhz
    ATI Radeon HD 3650
    Windows 7 Professional (SP1) x64
    Cubase 6.03 x64
    Sonar PE 8.5.3 x64
    RME FireFace 400
    Frontier Design Alpha Track
    Studio Logic VMK-188 Plus

http://www.youtube.com/user/SonarHD
    rbowser
    Re:The Orchestral Shootout, Phase Two: now with PRIZES! 2010/07/30 14:21:43 (permalink)
    Hi, Planetearth - Beaming my message to you from the good ship Sonarprise. 

I appreciate your post, and what you're saying in it is something like what I thought might come up in response to this new development.

As the person collecting these MP3s, I can tell you that even though some of the same synths/libraries are represented several times, each recording sounds vastly different.  It's like what's been said on this thread several times, that there's no such thing as a "pure demo."  There are the raw materials of software instruments, and then a key ingredient to how a recording done with them will sound is the person putting the recording together.

We've stressed that the original file's notes shouldn't be changed, but that people should do everything they know how to do to showcase their chosen synth as well as possible.  We've been encouraging people to make the recordings as good as they're capable of.

Now that there's voting involved, and prizes, I feel that what people are going to be voting on is the whole production - which MP3 is the most impressive?

We're still comparing different orchestral libraries, and since there's no avoiding the fact that some people are going to be more expert at demonstrating them - then it's nice to be able to give those people a prize.

Randy B.

Sonar X3e Studio
    Alesis i|O2 interface
    with dual monitors
    rbowser
    Re:The Orchestral Shootout, Phase Two: now with PRIZES! 2010/07/30 17:02:47 (permalink)
    Could people please check in on this:

--I'd like to know if the MP3 player on our Shootout site is playing OK for you, with a minimum of starts and sputters.

--I'd also like to know if it would be helpful for me to have an alternate page, just a simple page with all of the full rez MP3s available for downloading.  If we had that, it may avoid the complaint that the Wix MP3s are compressed.  Is it worth it for me to set that up?

Thanks.
    Randy B.

Sonar X3e Studio
    Alesis i|O2 interface
    with dual monitors
    mattplaysguitar
    Max Output Level: -55.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1992
    Re:The Orchestral Shootout, Phase Two: now with PRIZES! 2010/07/30 17:41:42 (permalink)
    Ooo very interesting idea guys!! Only had a quick listen to some of them, but many do sound pretty fake. I thought they might have sounded a little more realistic, but I guess that just shows the trouble these days in making realistic sounding libraries! I have no experience at all in this area, so I find it very interesting.

Randy, I'm not having any troubles with the player. I found the website a little too flashy and overloaded, so a nice simple version would be great too. Something with no flashy things, just simple html. You could have a link to that under the "ENTER" site page. Then maybe another link on the page itself which stands out, so people can easily see where to go to a simplified site. This could be incorporated with the downloading page.

I know this would add a LOT more work for you, but did you consider finding the most quiet track, then turning down all the other tracks to match this track? This does unfortunately mean two mp3 conversions, so that's not great... At the least, maybe a reminder on the site for people to adjust their volume levels so that they always listen at the same loudness? A volume control on the player could make this easier? But I don't know if you made that one yourself or not...

Currently recording my first album, so if you like my music, please follow me on Facebook!
    http://www.facebook.com/mattlyonsmusic

www.mattlyonsmusic.com 

rbowser
    Re:The Orchestral Shootout, Phase Two: now with PRIZES! 2010/07/30 18:11:59 (permalink)
    Hi, Mattplaysguitar - Thanks for letting me know the MP3 player is working OK for you.  That's obviously rather key - to have the files play for people interested in listening!

Did I consider "finding the most quiet track, then turning down all the other tracks..."---I did the opposite.  I brought the levels of all the tracks up so their loudest sections are at peak value and the same on all tracks.  The rest of the volume difference is the nature of the files, like some people wanted the first half to be much quieter than the second half.  ---I think people are able to turn their own volume knob if they're inclined to.

As for the design of the site - I felt it would be fun to have a sci-fi looking flashy presentation, so that's what I made.  It matters exactly Zero to me if it's not to everyone's taste.  It's the MP3s which matter.  And later, the polling page will matter, and then the big unveiling of all the info on these tracks - the synths used, who did them, and whatever notes they wanted to pass on about their projects.

Let's see--Anyone have something positive to say--? 

Randy B.

Sonar X3e Studio
    Alesis i|O2 interface
    with dual monitors
    mattplaysguitar
    Max Output Level: -55.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1992
    Re:The Orchestral Shootout, Phase Two: now with PRIZES! 2010/07/30 19:02:48 (permalink)
    Ah yes I didn't think that people might use different levels for different sections on the tracks. The reason I said to bring them all down to the most quiet one, was because if you have one which has been limited and it is now loudest, the only way to get the other ones as loud is to limit it, thus changing the audio. I should have said, to bring them down to the most quiet one that was normalised. But you didn't limit them anyway so that ain't a problem. In the scheme of things it really doesn't matter anyway, we all have a volume knob! It does everything it needs to do, and that's all that matters!

The more I look at the site, the more I actually really like it, so ignore those previous comments!

But as you did mention, a page for downloading the mp3s would be great. That would allow us to line them all up in SONAR and make comparing certain sections easier, and allow us to use exclusive solo to switch between them. So I can see many benefits of doing that.

You mention a change in mp3 quality when using the player? What does the player play back the files as? I thought it did sound like it was running at a low bitrate - at least that's the sound I was getting from most of the cymbals, unless that was just the libraries?

Thanks for taking the time Randy! Sorry if my last post came across as negative, I don't agree with my last post any more, so listen to this one instead
    post edited by mattplaysguitar - 2010/07/30 19:06:49

Currently recording my first album, so if you like my music, please follow me on Facebook!
    http://www.facebook.com/mattlyonsmusic

www.mattlyonsmusic.com 

bitflipper
    Re:The Orchestral Shootout, Phase Two: now with PRIZES! 2010/07/30 19:38:56 (permalink)
    The showcase of the library was supposed to be the point of this great exercise...Doesn't that effectively change the scope of the "contest"?

Yes, it does. And I frankly had some misgivings about switching horses midstream. But the prospect of giving somebody a cool prize for their work helped me to get past those reservations.

Anyway, the original intent is still as valid now as before. We'll still be able to glean useful information from this exercise, both by doing it ourselves and by learning from others. Some of the folks participating here are quite experienced at orchestration. Most are not, including yours truly. So the pros get to show off and the rest of us get to pick their brains. Win-win, I think.

For my own participation, I used six different synths in six separate versions. I approached it as a challenge to see what each synth could do, and I did all of them rather quickly (because I am lazy). Obviously, I wasn't out to impress anyone with my skills! But you'll be able to hear all 6 of my submissions side-by-side and know that if one sounds better than another it isn't because of the user's skill, but rather because it was just a better library. Or at least, better for lazy people like me.

since I already knew many people here have many of the same libraries I do (EWQL, Kontakt/VSL, SampleTank, etc.), I figured that by submitting, I'd be duplicating someone else's effort in showcasing the library.

The total number of submissions is important. The more samples we have, the more valid the conclusions we can draw from them. If the top ten files were made by ten different people but they all used the same library, well I'm guessing some credit cards may get exercised shortly after. If I'm thinking about buying a given library, and there were ten entries that used it, I can get a pretty good feel for the product even if those ten creators aren't all at the same skill level. Bottom line: lots of duplicate submissions = a good thing.

My Stuff
    John6528
    Re:The Orchestral Shootout, Phase Two: now with PRIZES! 2010/07/30 19:45:13 (permalink)
    Will do. It's great practice.
    John
    John6528
    Re:The Orchestral Shootout, Phase Two: now with PRIZES! 2010/07/30 20:02:27 (permalink)
    Hey... listening to about half of them it sounds like some are all string bass Pizz, some are all bass arco and some are a mixture. Made mine all arco but what is the legal way? My midi doesn't seem to catch patch changes.

John

Attomik Punk
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 19
    Re:The Orchestral Shootout, Phase Two: now with PRIZES! 2010/07/30 20:39:42 (permalink)
    Hey All,

I'm new to this forum and still getting acquainted with Sonar.  So far I'm having a blast and this project sounds like tons of fun!  I have successfully downloaded the file and I'm excited to work with my Miroslav library that just arrived.

This may be a little over my head, but nothing ventured- nothing gained.

Thank you for all the work on creating such a cool project!  Very inspiring.
    Dan
    Ranietz
    Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 88
    Re:The Orchestral Shootout, Phase Two: now with PRIZES! 2010/07/30 20:43:47 (permalink)
    Hi. A quick question about what modifications that are allowed or not.

Since the midi file is restricted to 16 channels I assume some instruments where removed (like flute and tuba). Are we allowed to add those back in?
    rbowser
    Re:The Orchestral Shootout, Phase Two: now with PRIZES! 2010/07/30 21:14:43 (permalink)
    mattplaysguitar

Ah yes I didn't think that people might use different levels for different sections on the tracks. The reason I said to bring them all down to the most quiet one, was because if you have one which has been limited and it is now loudest, the only way to get the other ones as loud is to limit it, thus changing the audio. I should have said, to bring them down to the most quiet one that was normalised. But you didn't limit them anyway so that ain't a problem. In the scheme of things it really doesn't matter anyway, we all have a volume knob! It does everything it needs to do, and that's all that matters!

The more I look at the site, the more I actually really like it, so ignore those previous comments!

But as you did mention, a page for downloading the mp3s would be great. That would allow us to line them all up in SONAR and make comparing certain sections easier, and allow us to use exclusive solo to switch between them. So I can see many benefits of doing that.

You mention a change in mp3 quality when using the player? What does the player play back the files as? I thought it did sound like it was running at a low bitrate - at least that's the sound I was getting from most of the cymbals, unless that was just the libraries?

Thanks for taking the time Randy! Sorry if my last post came across as negative, I don't agree with my last post any more, so listen to this one instead

Hello again, Matt - Thanks for the new post.  Glad the glitzy site is growing on you.  hehe. - I will put together a page for people to download the MP3s, so they can do the kind of comparison you're talking about.  Also that way any question about degradation won't get in the way.

Unfortunately they're not all at the same tempo.  One rule we tried to stick with was to not change the tempo, yet they've been coming in at several different tempos.  The original, fastest tempo of 112 bpm sounds best for the music, so the slower ones may be at a disadvantage - they don't sound as lively.

I theorized that Wix would need to do some kind of conversion to get the MP3s in a user's site, all I knew was that they sound a lot better than what's on Soundclick.

But now Bitflipper has run a scientific test, sent me the screen shots of both a Spectrum Analyzer comparison and a Histogram comparison, using one of his Trek original MP3s and a posted one - and they're virtually identical.  All I knew for sure is they sound the same to me - this puts that question to rest really.

Thanks again.

Randy B.

Sonar X3e Studio
    Alesis i|O2 interface
    with dual monitors
    rbowser
    Re:The Orchestral Shootout, Phase Two: now with PRIZES! 2010/07/30 21:17:21 (permalink)
    John6528

Hey... listening to about half of them it sounds like some are all string bass Pizz, some are all bass arco and some are a mixture. Made mine all arco but what is the legal way? My midi doesn't seem to catch patch changes.

John

Hi, John - The patch changes are in relation to the General MIDI spec where all instruments have the same numbers.  So those changes wouldn't apply to any non-GM synth.

Bass - arco or pizz - that's a good example of people making their own choices about articulations.  My version is all arco too, it's legal.  That sort of decision is just one of many someone has to make when working with the raw MIDI file.

Randy B.

Sonar X3e Studio
    Alesis i|O2 interface
    with dual monitors
    rbowser
    Re:The Orchestral Shootout, Phase Two: now with PRIZES! 2010/07/30 21:19:58 (permalink)
    Attomik Punk

Hey All,

I'm new to this forum and still getting acquainted with Sonar.  So far I'm having a blast and this project sounds like tons of fun!  I have successfully downloaded the file and I'm excited to work with my Miroslav library that just arrived.

Thank you for all the work on creating such a cool project!  Very inspiring.
    Dan

Great, Attomik Punk - Glad the contest turns you on.  It really isn't too difficult.  Start with the .cwp file and make logical substitutions for instruments.  It's OK if you end up with more tracks than the 16 original ones.  The first version of this I did had 32 tracks, another one had more.  I just didn't add any new harmonic lines, and no new instruments.  The percussion track, for instance really needs to be split up into 4 tracks for it to work.  There's discussion about that on this thread.

Have fun, and good luck.

Randy B.

Sonar X3e Studio
    Alesis i|O2 interface
    with dual monitors
    rbowser
    Re:The Orchestral Shootout, Phase Two: now with PRIZES! 2010/07/30 21:24:08 (permalink)
    Ranietz

Since the midi file is restricted to 16 channels I assume some instruments where removed (like flute and tuba). Are we allowed to add those back in?

Hi, Ranietz - Yes.  The original MIDI file is a General MIDI sequence which uses one full set of MIDI channels, 16, but to expand that to flesh it out more to what an orchestra would actually play is fine, and in fact, encouraged.

The fine line, perhaps, is that we can't actually change the arrangement - we can't add new instruments like sax, electric guitar, harpsichord - I'm just throwing some out off the top of my head.  But look at the "piccolo" track for isntance.  That's actually two lines - piccolo and flute.  You definitely should split that out and assign the high line to the picc, low to flute.  If you want to beef up any section - do so.  There's one "bass trombone" line which can be tuba, or bass trombone Plus tuba, or a whole Fleet of tubas--as long as they're all playing the data which is in the file.

Have fun and good luck!

Randy B.

Sonar X3e Studio
    Alesis i|O2 interface
    with dual monitors
    Ranietz
    Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 88
    Re:The Orchestral Shootout, Phase Two: now with PRIZES! 2010/07/30 21:31:36 (permalink)
    rbowser

Ranietz

Hi, Ranietz - Yes.  The original MIDI file is a General MIDI sequence which uses one full set of MIDI channels, 16, but to expand that to flesh it out more to what an orchestra would actually play is fine, and in fact, encouraged.

The fine line, perhaps, is that we can't actually change the arrangement - we can't add new instruments like sax, electric guitar, harpsichord - I'm just throwing some out off the top of my head.  But look at the "piccolo" track for isntance.  That's actually two lines - piccolo and flute.  You definitely should split that out and assign the high line to the picc, low to flute.  If you want to beef up any section - do so.  There's one "bass trombone" line which can be tuba, or bass trombone Plus tuba, or a whole Fleet of tubas--as long as they're all playing the data which is in the file.

Have fun and good luck!

Randy B.

Yeah. It was the piccolo track that triggered my question since two piccolos and no flute would be an unusual orchestration. I'll see if I get the time to give it a try in a day or two.
    bitflipper
    Re:The Orchestral Shootout, Phase Two: now with PRIZES! 2010/07/30 22:01:50 (permalink)

That's the spirit, Dan! The worst that can happen is you have some fun and learn something.

My Stuff
    rbowser
    Re:The Orchestral Shootout, Phase Two: now with PRIZES! 2010/07/30 23:11:34 (permalink)
    For those concerned about the Wix site degrading the MP3s, here's a new page with all the original MP3s in a simple list.  Click them to have your own Media Players play the files and/or right click to download them for closer scrutiny.

THE MP3s AGAIN - NO MEDIA PLAYER INTERFERING

Randy B.

Sonar X3e Studio
    Alesis i|O2 interface
    with dual monitors
    holderofthehorns
    Max Output Level: -77 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 679
    Re:The Orchestral Shootout, Phase Two: now with PRIZES! 2010/07/31 00:00:52 (permalink)
    Lovely experiment.  When will the voting begin?

Eric Anderson
    HolderOfTheHorns - It's a Viking thing.
    rbowser
    Re:The Orchestral Shootout, Phase Two: now with PRIZES! 2010/07/31 00:05:44 (permalink)
    holderofthehorns

Lovely experiment.  When will the voting begin?

Deadline for submissions is August 15th, the poll were be turned on the day after.

Holderofthehorns - you're a clever guy.  Spend like an hour cooking up this file in the synth of your choice and submit it!

Randy B.

Sonar X3e Studio
    Alesis i|O2 interface
    with dual monitors
    rbowser
    Re:The Orchestral Shootout, Phase Two: now with PRIZES! 2010/07/31 01:51:44 (permalink)
    For people who have already submitted but are having second thoughts about the files they sent in, please don't ask me to swap out new versions of your work.  That wouldn't be fair at all at this point, now that the other submissions are open for public hearing.  You may want to correct the error of having used too low an MP3 resolution to begin with, but there's no way for us to know that a new version of your submissions wouldn't also include new edits made in light of what you've heard at the site.

So, please don't ask me to swap out your files.  I won't be doing any swaps.  Things need to stand as they are now.

Randy B.

Sonar X3e Studio
    Alesis i|O2 interface
    with dual monitors
    Shambler
    Max Output Level: -75 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 783
    Re:The Orchestral Shootout, Phase Two: now with PRIZES! 2010/07/31 05:40:25 (permalink)
    Really interesting to hear all the different qualities of the sound and arrangements.

It will be great to find out which is which, for me 2 stand out and one of these stands out much more than the other...but I'm not saying which as I don't want to bias other peoples votes =)

I didn't enter myself but many thanks for the arrangers and all who entered!
    auto_da_fe
    Max Output Level: -56.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1866
    Re:The Orchestral Shootout, Phase Two: now with PRIZES! 2010/07/31 12:26:48 (permalink)
    http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=275423

Out of fairness to the rest of you I am holdiing back my awesome version.  (Star Moog)

Just got SampleMoog and was playing around....

Any rate this is the comic relief portion.  (Think Spike Jones...)

JR

HP DV6T - 2670QM, 8 GB RAM,
    Sonar Platypus,  Octa Capture, BFD2 & Jamstix3, Komplete 10 and Komplete Kontrol
    Win 10 64 
    SLS PS8R Monitors and KRK Ergo
    https://soundcloud.com/airportface
    Jose7822
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 10031
    Re:The Orchestral Shootout, Phase Two: now with PRIZES! 2010/07/31 13:01:07 (permalink)
    auto_da_fe

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=275423

Out of fairness to the rest of you I am holdiing back my awesome version.  (Star Moog)

Just got SampleMoog and was playing around....

Any rate this is the comic relief portion.  (Think Spike Jones...)

JR

Absolutely loved it!!!

Thanks for this!  :-D

Intel Q9400 2.66 GHz
    8 GB of RAM @ 800 Mhz
    ATI Radeon HD 3650
    Windows 7 Professional (SP1) x64
    Cubase 6.03 x64
    Sonar PE 8.5.3 x64
    RME FireFace 400
    Frontier Design Alpha Track
    Studio Logic VMK-188 Plus