An Honest Question: Was This Release RUSHED?

Page: < 12345 > Showing page 2 of 5
Author
Fess
Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 94
Re:An Honest Question: Was This Release RUSHED? 2010/12/09 00:21:32 (permalink)
Bub

Fess

No surprise to me. That's why Brandon didn't click on anything in the videos and just talked his way through them. Hate to say it, but it seems like this release has more bugs than my first apt...

How's that butt feelin' Fess? LOL!

Bub, have you been playin with this thing yet? Is the pro channel the 'pro' channel or is it the a** channel lol?

Lemme know man!

Brandon Ryan [Roland]
Max Output Level: -40.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3458
Re:An Honest Question: Was This Release RUSHED? 2010/12/09 00:23:19 (permalink)
Fess

No surprise to me. That's why Brandon didn't click on anything in the videos and just talked his way through them. Hate to say it, but it seems like this release has more bugs than my first apt...

Sorry but that's BS. And frankly the suggestion is a bit.... I've been demoing this thing for months and showing projects and workflow etc. To press, dealers, sales people and over 1000 people live in Japan, etc. And it's completely false that I "talked my way through all the videos". Did you watch the Keybaord video or EM video? Are you going to watch those and honestly say I didn't click on anything? It's just not true.

I'm not trying to be a jerk but I have to respond to this kind of thing as it makes it out as if I was not touching it because it would crash at any second. You think we would knowingly release something that buggy?

Are you suggesting nobody on this forum is using the software they downloaded. C'mon let's be real.

"The sky above the port was the color of television, tuned to a dead channel." WG

SONAR Platinum | VS-700 | A-800 PRO | PCAL i7 with SSD running Windows 8 x64 | Samsung 27" LCD @ 1920x1080 | Blue Sky monitors with BMC | All kinds of other stuff
Bub
Max Output Level: -3.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 7196
Re:An Honest Question: Was This Release RUSHED? 2010/12/09 00:25:47 (permalink)
Fess ... I feel bad for you and ba_midi, but sitting here reading your posts ... man, you guys gotta stop. You're killin' me! LOL! My gut hurts from laughing!

LOL!
post edited by Bub - 2010/12/09 00:27:06

"I pulled the head off Elvis, filled Fred up to his pelvis, yaba daba do, the King is gone, and so are you."
Brandon Ryan [Roland]
Max Output Level: -40.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3458
Re:An Honest Question: Was This Release RUSHED? 2010/12/09 00:26:56 (permalink)
And by the way, I'm not saying there aren't bugs. There obviously are. There will be a patch in less than 2 weeks that will address a number of them.

I'm just saying I didn't try to cover anything up in a video and I clicked on plenty of stuff. I clicked on the new stuff that I was showing and that was being asked about.

"The sky above the port was the color of television, tuned to a dead channel." WG

SONAR Platinum | VS-700 | A-800 PRO | PCAL i7 with SSD running Windows 8 x64 | Samsung 27" LCD @ 1920x1080 | Blue Sky monitors with BMC | All kinds of other stuff
LpMike75
Max Output Level: -59 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1621
Re:An Honest Question: Was This Release RUSHED? 2010/12/09 00:28:17 (permalink)
I opened some pretty large projects and performed some midi editing while everything was playing back...this at times has caused crashes on 8.5.  So far, no crashes for me.  I have not had any stickyness as Billy describes.  (I have not tested the dreaded VVocal yet lol)

I am not a programmer but I can imagine that with software this indepth it is completely reasonable to expect some people to come across bugs that were not found by the 'presumably' small tester group.  It's great that Cake acknowledges the new found bugs and promises a fix to them quickly.  (Yes I read the set measure/beat at now was not fixed, I havent tested it but maybe we could hope they throw in that fix in this patch.)

- Mike
Sonar Platinum - M-Audio Profire 2626 , Pro Tools 11 HD Omni - PC I7 6850K - 64 G RAM - GeForce GTX 970
http://www.soundcloud.com/michael-lizotte 
Http://WWW.HomeRecordingWizard.Com
HTTP://WWW.Facebook.com/HomeRecordingWizard
Http://www.mjlmusic.com 
RogerS
Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 330
Re:An Honest Question: Was This Release RUSHED? 2010/12/09 00:34:32 (permalink)
Brandon, you guys have the patience of saints with some of these lame-a$$ questions. 

PE 8.5.3,  Windows 7 Pro 64-bit,  i7 920,  GA-EX58-UD4P,  6gb Corsair DDR3,  2 x Barracuda 500gb,  HIS Radeon GS-4670 Fanless 1gb DDR3, dual 24" monitors,  Axiom 61,  Korg Triton Pro,  Focusrite Saffire Pro 40,  VG-99,  Yamaha MSP5,  Fostex PM0.5       
daveny5
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 16934
Re:An Honest Question: Was This Release RUSHED? 2010/12/09 00:38:34 (permalink)
ssageMessage Options Re:An Honest Question: Was This Release RUSHED? - 24 mins. ago ( #26 )

You should upgrade to Windows 7. Its much better than any version of XP. 

Dave
Computer: Intel i7, ASROCK H170M, 16GB/5TB+, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, Sonar Platinum, TASCAM US-16x08, Cakewalk UM-3G MIDI I/F
Instruments: SL-880 Keyboard controller, Korg 05R/W, Korg N1R, KORG Wavestation EX
Axes: Fender Stratocaster, Line6 Variax 300, Ovation Acoustic, Takamine Nylon Acoustic, Behringer GX212 amp, Shure SM-58 mic, Rode NT1 condenser mic.
Outboard: Mackie 1402-VLZ mixer, TC Helicon VoiceLive 2, Digitech Vocalist WS EX, PODXTLive, various stompboxes and stuff. 
Controllers: Korg nanoKONTROL, Wacom Bamboo Touchpad
KyRo
Max Output Level: -80 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 543
Re:An Honest Question: Was This Release RUSHED? 2010/12/09 00:42:38 (permalink)
daveny5

ssageMessage Options Re:An Honest Question: Was This Release RUSHED? - 24 mins. ago ( #26 )

Que?
Fess
Re:An Honest Question: Was This Release RUSHED? 2010/12/09 00:45:00 (permalink)
Brandon Ryan [Cakewalk
]

Fess

Sorry but that's BS. And frankly the suggestion is a bit.... I've been demoing this thing for months and showing projects and workflow etc. To press, dealers, sales people and over 1000 people live in Japan, etc. And it's completely false that I "talked my way through all the videos". Did you watch the Keybaord video or EM video? Are you going to watch those and honestly say I didn't click on anything? It's just not true.

I'm not trying to be a jerk but I have to respond to this kind of thing as it makes it out as if I was not touching it because it would crash at any second. You think we would knowingly release something that buggy?

Are you suggesting nobody on this forum is using the software they downloaded. C'mon let's be real.
Brandon, I'm just going by the various posts. There are obviously a lot of bugs and like someone said already, the bug fix should have been released with the launch. There clearly should have been more beta-testing. I saw your videos and I also saw a lot of videos with gui's rotating and screens being manipulated in ways that are literally impossible. Granted, it's good marketing, but if you want me to 'get real', ok-I will: http://forum.cakewalk.com/tm.aspx?m=2150706 is just one example. ba_midi also had frequent crashes for doing simple things -nothing related to pushing a cpu to the limit or running out of memory etc.-his crashes were from just clicking his mouse pointer in the 'wrong place'. I don't remember everything he said except a bunch of crashes (6 I believe) in 4 hours. And where is the manual? Who releases a flagship product without a manual on release day? It's just not right, nor is it fair to us-the users. I understand that you work for Cakewalk and take tremendous pride in your work and company-and that's cool, but one can't help but think that this release was rushed and it didn't have near enough beta-testing. I'm not the only one who thinks this way, but I'm not afraid to come out and say it. I want to make Sonar X1 my main DAW, but as it stands right now, I'm thinking about printing up the 8.5 manual and learning that DAW until X1 gets up to speed. I hope you can understand our frustration. Your marketing team is very good at what they do so we had all these expectations...I'm just sayin man...

I'm sorry if I offended anybody.

post edited by Fess - 2010/12/09 00:57:22
Bub
Re:An Honest Question: Was This Release RUSHED? 2010/12/09 00:45:44 (permalink)
daveny5

Why? XP runs great, and after all these years, there's still free updates.

"I pulled the head off Elvis, filled Fred up to his pelvis, yaba daba do, the King is gone, and so are you."
pbognar
Max Output Level: -76 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 720
Re:An Honest Question: Was This Release RUSHED? 2010/12/09 00:46:13 (permalink)
RogerS

Brandon, you guys have the patience of saints with some of these lame-a$$ questions.

I don't think it's the questions which are difficult to deal with.  Besides, there is no such thing as a stupid question.  Just... well you know...
KyRo
Max Output Level: -80 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 543
Re:An Honest Question: Was This Release RUSHED? 2010/12/09 00:46:59 (permalink)
Brandon, try and relax buddy! Take a deep breath! :) I can't imagine how stressful it must be in your guys' position at CW right now, so I (and others, I'm sure) very much appreciate the time you guys take to come out and talk to us at all on here. Not many companies do that. Just remember, most of the people on here gripe so much about this and that because they CARE about the product, and want it to perform to the best of its abilities. Issues though there are, your efforts ARE appreciated. Sorry things get a bit combative on here, but please keep your chins up and continue the honorable hard work! Let's work together to BRIDGE any issues that are present :D
mattplaysguitar
Max Output Level: -55.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1992
Re:An Honest Question: Was This Release RUSHED? 2010/12/09 00:48:33 (permalink)
Beta testing can only get you so far. The public release is vital for getting a much better understanding (and list) of all the bugs in the program. We just need to report everything to cake so they are able to fix them all in the updates. It might take ten times as long to find all the bugs with simply beta testing so it makes sense to get it out to the public so we can get a smooth running X1 faster.

Currently recording my first album, so if you like my music, please follow me on Facebook!
http://www.facebook.com/mattlyonsmusic

www.mattlyonsmusic.com 

RogerS
Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 330
Re:An Honest Question: Was This Release RUSHED? 2010/12/09 00:50:04 (permalink)
pbognar

RogerS

I don't think it's the questions which are difficult to deal with.  Besides, there is no such thing as a stupid question.  Just... well you know...

You're right. It's not the questions, the problem is the troll-like comments coming from some.

PE 8.5.3,  Windows 7 Pro 64-bit,  i7 920,  GA-EX58-UD4P,  6gb Corsair DDR3,  2 x Barracuda 500gb,  HIS Radeon GS-4670 Fanless 1gb DDR3, dual 24" monitors,  Axiom 61,  Korg Triton Pro,  Focusrite Saffire Pro 40,  VG-99,  Yamaha MSP5,  Fostex PM0.5       
Fess
Re:An Honest Question: Was This Release RUSHED? 2010/12/09 00:52:54 (permalink)
dimelives1

Brandon, try and relax buddy! Take a deep breath! :) I can't imagine how stressful it must be in your guys' position at CW right now, so I (and others, I'm sure) very much appreciate the time you guys take to come out and talk to us at all on here. Not many companies do that. Just remember, most of the people on here gripe so much about this and that because they CARE about the product, and want it to perform to the best of its abilities. Issues though there are, your efforts ARE appreciated. Sorry things get a bit combative on here, but please keep your chins up and continue the honorable hard work! Let's work together to BRIDGE any issues that are present :D

Testify to that! I did one of my first tracks on a very early incarnation of Sonar...actually I don't even think it was called Sonar at that time lol. But anyway, you're right. I've been hypin this up for weeks tellin my fiance it's gonna be the cats ** of DAWs. Like I said, they did a great job marketing this DAW and I personally had (have) high expectations for it. But the fact remains...right now...it needs work.
A1MixMan
Max Output Level: -58 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1706
Re:An Honest Question: Was This Release RUSHED? 2010/12/09 00:53:31 (permalink)
Sounds to me like ba midi is having some kind of hardware conflick or other software even. Who know at this point.

A1
gtgarner
Max Output Level: -73 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 895
Re:An Honest Question: Was This Release RUSHED? 2010/12/09 00:53:36 (permalink)
Complainers - Please go back to 8.5.x

Oh yeah, you weren't happy with that either.........

If you can't make music, please raise your hand. 
post edited by gtgarner - 2010/12/09 00:55:18
chrisharbin
Max Output Level: -56.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1852
Re:An Honest Question: Was This Release RUSHED? 2010/12/09 00:55:13 (permalink)
I dunno, I'm x1'ed out LOL! I can relate to many many thoughts here (some, not so much) but again I want to extend kudos to cake for being so ACTIVE in these forums. It must have been grueling getting things ready.

i7 860/MSI mobo/8GB ram/win7x64ultimate/X2/profire 610/oxygen 61/running 48k currently.
pbognar
Max Output Level: -76 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 720
Re:An Honest Question: Was This Release RUSHED? 2010/12/09 00:55:49 (permalink)
mattplaysguitar

Beta testing can only get you so far. The public release is vital for getting a much better understanding (and list) of all the bugs in the program. We just need to report everything to cake so they are able to fix them all in the updates. It might take ten times as long to find all the bugs with simply beta testing so it makes sense to get it out to the public so we can get a smooth running X1 faster.
And what is with the mad rush to get version X1.0 the day it is made available?  I mean at work, we wait 3 months before we install the latest release of Oracle and that's back an integer version.  We wait and see how others fare with it.  Now days, DAW's are about as complex as relational databases.
gtgarner
Re:An Honest Question: Was This Release RUSHED? 2010/12/09 00:56:08 (permalink)
chrisharbin

I dunno, I'm x1'ed out LOL! I can relate to many many thoughts here (some, not so much) but again I want to extend kudos to cake for being so ACTIVE in these forums. It must have been grueling getting things ready.

+1  Kudos Brandon.
JenksTer
Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 128
Re:An Honest Question: Was This Release RUSHED? 2010/12/09 00:57:38 (permalink)
I have to confess, there does appear to be loads of issues with X1, so much so that you do kinda wonder ''When's it gonna crash''.
gtgarner
Re:An Honest Question: Was This Release RUSHED? 2010/12/09 00:58:42 (permalink)
JenksTer

I have to confess, there does appear to be loads of issues with X1, so much so that you do kinda wonder ''When's it gonna crash''.

What load of issues? Is there an issues thread? I'm looking at the last 20 forum topics, and I just can't find what you are talking about.  I can't find issues that will make me not be able to make music.

Do you mean things like the colors? 
post edited by gtgarner - 2010/12/09 01:02:17
JenksTer
Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 128
Re:An Honest Question: Was This Release RUSHED? 2010/12/09 01:05:03 (permalink)
gtgarner

JenksTer

What load of issues? Is there an issues thread? I can't find issues that will make me not be able to make music.

Just scan the first the first page of the X1 forum.... Of course if it actually stops you from making music is debatable. But there are issues to resolve. I myself have had several crashes since install..
post edited by JenksTer - 2010/12/09 01:06:04
Scott Lee
Max Output Level: -68 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1120
Re:An Honest Question: Was This Release RUSHED? 2010/12/09 01:05:40 (permalink)
Come on guys, give the bakers a break.

First, 3 months ago allot of folks were upset that "Hey its October, where is Sonar 9?" They finally drop the ball in november to keep us in the loop with a whole new Sonar design. On release day there are obviously some quirks and kinks that need to be addressed with some folks. Now the Bakers are trying to resolve any doubts with a quick patch and people are upset? Come on! Ive worked with many software companies over the years and there is no such thing as "a perfect release". You can beta test and QA the software to death and find some folks systems and or hardware where out of the circle of tested configurations. You can try to snuff out as much as you can, but that what the patches are for. 

Just remember, if this was a cubase forum, you wouldnt even have a chance to talk to a developer let along get much resolved. PC systems are a tough call due to so many varieties of systems. As some of you are aware, people have had problems. Myself, I havent have any crashes no issues besides a few little minor glitches. In fact, some projects that Sonar 8.5 were struggling on are super smooth in X1 for me.

This doesn't lesson anyone's needs to get the bugs resolved. Lets not bury the bakers and give them a chance to address everything. They are listening and thats where the first step begins. Where all friends here, lets get things rolling any see if we can help the developers get the info they need for patch 1.

Best,
post edited by Scott Lee - 2010/12/09 01:14:37

Scott Lee (ASCAP)
SFX Media 
Song Composer / Engineer / Audio Director

http://www.youtube.com/user/Dezacrator?feature=mhee

Bub
Re:An Honest Question: Was This Release RUSHED? 2010/12/09 01:08:53 (permalink)
RogerS

You're right. It's not the questions, the problem is the troll-like comments coming from some.

Ahhh ... and the name calling begins.

It was a pretty clean discussion up until that point.

gtgarner
Re:An Honest Question: Was This Release RUSHED? 2010/12/09 01:10:26 (permalink)
JenksTer

gtgarner

JenksTer

What load of issues? Is there an issues thread? I can't find issues that will make me not be able to make music.

Just scan the first the first page of the X1 forum.... Of course if it actually stops you from making music is debatable. But there are issues to resolve. I myself have had several crashes since install..
Oh come on. Many of  peoples were the same people whos' computers were crashing since Sonar 5,6,7. 

10000 users of Sonar and 15 people reporting crashes is now a conclusion of the product.  Please go back to 8.5 and wait. Oh thats right.....8.5 crashes too.

I envite anyone who wishes to come over to my studio.  My X1 hasn't crashed yet.  Been using it all day.     Just call before you come over.
post edited by gtgarner - 2010/12/09 01:12:19
chrisharbin
Max Output Level: -56.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1852
Re:An Honest Question: Was This Release RUSHED? 2010/12/09 01:10:28 (permalink)
It hasn't crashed on me yet. I keep opening up all these lame little projects I started and never finished......editing, adding, saving, and I'm especially doing things with the channel strip as it's a marque player (though that "used to be sonitus thing is kinda weird). Allot of drag/drop stuff.

What I have NOT gotten into yet is automation.....so I got nothin' there. But views, busses, routing......I fiddled with it all, nothing fatal or reproducible has happened YET (please note, chrisharbin is NOT a lucky person and is very superstitious, so now that I've said that it will probably die hard! lol)

i7 860/MSI mobo/8GB ram/win7x64ultimate/X2/profire 610/oxygen 61/running 48k currently.
ba_midi
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 14061
Re:An Honest Question: Was This Release RUSHED? 2010/12/09 01:11:17 (permalink)
A1MixMan

Sounds to me like ba midi is having some kind of hardware conflick or other software even. Who know at this point.

Who knows is right.  But it's up to 8 crashes now.  And I haven't changed any hardware or anything.  All I did was install X1 and try to use/learn it so far.

Something is awry, as they say.   I'm well within the specs for X1 and my system is very "up to date" in all aspects - and has run smooth for a very long time now.

Of course I'm upset and may whine a bit, but I'm still a Sonar kind of guy and will see this through.

Billy Arnell (ba-midi)

http://www.ba-midi.com/music/files
Music gives me life, so I give life Music.
Thanks for listening - Let's Dance to the rhythm of life! :)
gtgarner
Re:An Honest Question: Was This Release RUSHED? 2010/12/09 01:13:31 (permalink)
ba_midi

A1MixMan

Who knows is right.  But it's up to 8 crashes now.  And I haven't changed any hardware or anything.  All I did was install X1 and try to use/learn it so far.

Something is awry, as they say.   I'm well within the specs for X1 and my system is very "up to date" in all aspects - and has run smooth for a very long time now.

Of course I'm upset and may whine a bit, but I'm still a Sonar kind of guy and will see this through.

Excellet post ba_midi.   We need more posts like this one.  Kudos to you ba_midi.
Bub
Re:An Honest Question: Was This Release RUSHED? 2010/12/09 01:14:26 (permalink)
ba_midi

A1MixMan

I think it's reasonable to expect that if you have a solid 8.5 DAW, that X1 should work solid too, or no?

Page: < 12345 > Showing page 2 of 5
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1