Helpful ReplyThe NEW ProChannel ● Back Story!

Page: 1234 > Showing page 1 of 4
Author
Freddie H
Max Output Level: -39 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3617
2010/12/15 14:11:57 (permalink)

The NEW ProChannel ● Back Story!

The NEW ProChannel Back Story

The channel strip modules have been meticulously modelled based on
the sound of high end hardware units.

The Pro Channel compressors were painstakingly measured and modelled and the EQ uses a
strategy to match the frequency response across the entire spectrum,
to produce the minimum achievable deviation from the analog shape.
We've put a *lot* of work into making sure we have the absolute
highest quality algorithms around for the compressors, the EQ and the
saturation module. All the modules are seriously accurate and
awesome sounding and we are using the best possible techniques to
give you the best DSP out there with the stuff we've got in the Pro
Channel.
You can all trust that with one click, you now have access to high end
DSO, on every channel, and it's going to always sounds great, and
always be convenient.

Highlights

The ProChannel is a SONAR X1 Producer exclusive that expands
SONAR’s already impressive console with big, epic pro-studio sound
built right in to every channel.

ProChannel provides one button access to bigger and punchier mixes
– without ever needing to leave your mix view or launch and manage
separate plug-ins.

Each channel has a highly musical EQ, a choice of two compressors,
two types of tube saturation, flexible drag & drop routing to order the
processing, and the entire ProChannel can be pre or post FX bin.

EQ   Highlights

The ProChannel’s Gloss EQ is carefully designed to sound clear and
musical on virtually any source material. Utilizing the latest
techniques, Gloss EQ injects the smooth beauty of an analog EQ
directly into SONAR’s mixing console.

Pro Channel EQ - Pure, Vintage and Modern modes

6 bands, 2 shelf/bells, 4 bell/notches

2 fully parametric filters (high and low-pass

Gloss mode for one-button shine

Legacy Sonitus EQ support

EQ Plot

Compressor Highlights

The Pro Channel’s integrated channel and bus compression is
designed to offer the big, punchy sound of classic studio hardware
with no need to manage plug-ins

Two switchable compressors on one strip

Unique in this design both compressors include a wet/dry knob for
easy instant parallel compression setup.

The PC76 U-Type channel compressor
employs classic FET design with fast attack and analog-style
warmth

The PC4K S-Type bus compressor
“glues” a mix bus together, imparting the radio-ready sound made
famous by classic, large-format consoles

Sidechain ready

● Tube Saturation

post edited by Freddie H - 2010/12/15 14:18:01

-Highly developed spirits often encounter resistance from mediocre minds. -It really matters!
mgh
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 8594
Re:The NEW ProChannel ● Back Story! 2010/12/15 14:13:08 (permalink)
and the point of this thread is?

Memorare debut album 'Philistine' available now http://blackwoodproductio...philistine-digipack-cd
Freddie H
Re:The NEW ProChannel ● Back Story! 2010/12/15 14:18:47 (permalink)
For those who interesting about SONAT X1 under the hood!

http://www.cakewalk.com/FinePrint/

-Highly developed spirits often encounter resistance from mediocre minds. -It really matters!
HumbleNoise
Max Output Level: -46 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2946
Re:The NEW ProChannel ● Back Story! 2010/12/15 14:52:11 (permalink)
mgh

and the point of this thread is?

Judging form the other threads by Freddie I'm guessing the point is to help others understand a little more about X1.

Thanks Frieddie

And mgh - the point of your post?

Humbly Yours

Larry

Sonar X2 x64
MAudio 2496
Yamaha MG 12/4
Roland XV-88
Intel MB with Q6600 and 4 GB Ram
NVidia 9800 GTX
Windows 7 x64 Home Premium
mgh
  • Total Posts : 8594
Re:The NEW ProChannel ● Back Story! 2010/12/15 15:41:21 (permalink)
let CW do their own advertising. all this info is in the advertising. and the mind map sticky. there's enough redundant threads in this forum already. so why am i bumping this? lol

Memorare debut album 'Philistine' available now http://blackwoodproductio...philistine-digipack-cd
Supercomposer
Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 259
Re:The NEW ProChannel ● Back Story! 2010/12/15 16:51:13 (permalink)
Cool, now they only need to make the host software stable enough to work longer than half an hour, and I will be happy with Prochandle.

ME is the Supercomposer, and all your base are belong to us (Yes, I mean Germany)

System Spec: CPU 2x X7560 Xeon 16-Core, 48 GIG Ram Kingston, Intel with Supermicro Workstation MP Boards, RME HDSPe, PNY Quadro 6000
jon busticle
Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 73
Telll us more... 2010/12/17 01:45:56 (permalink)
Like what are the the differences between saturation modes 1 and 2; and also what is the difference between the EQ types? Are they modeled after certain analog or digital EQs or do these different modes simply change the Q-relationships. It's my guess (and PLEASE say that im wrong) that "pure" mode is simply a copy of the Sonitus EQ, the Vintage is a copy of the VC-64 and modern is a dsp-lite version of the LP-64. I've been looking for this info but have found no answers (even in the "mind map" it's very vague about whats being modelled or not. -JON
mudgel
  • Total Posts : 12010
Re:Telll us more... 2010/12/17 01:53:39 (permalink)
You're wrong.

Mike V. (MUDGEL)

STUDIO: Win 10 Pro x64, SPlat & CbB x64,
PC: ASUS Z370-A, INTEL i7 8700k, 32GIG DDR4 2400, OC 4.7Ghz.
Storage: 7 TB SATA III, 750GiG SSD & Samsung 500 Gig 960 EVO NVMe M.2.
Monitors: Adam A7X, JBL 10” Sub.
Audio I/O & DSP Server: DIGIGRID IOS & IOX.
Screen: Raven MTi + 43" HD 4K TV Monitor.
Keyboard Controller: Native Instruments Komplete Kontrol S88.
jon busticle
Re:Telll us more... 2010/12/17 02:00:29 (permalink)
wrong about what? "Vagueness" is the issue im having, and here I am met with more of the same. Ive been wrong all my life so tell me something i DIDNT know...sorry if that sounded mean; I'm just frustrated and blown away that I seem to be the only one wondering about things that should have DEFINITELY been in the manual. So many other companies would brag about the prochannel but cake seems to be short in behind-the scenes info especially on the saturation modes (which do sound pretty good) Peacers!
post edited by jon busticle - 2010/12/17 02:20:58
dappa1
Max Output Level: -46 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2949
Re:Telll us more... 2010/12/17 03:12:14 (permalink)
Is Freddie a staff member of CW?
A1MixMan
Max Output Level: -58 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1706
Re:Telll us more... 2010/12/17 03:27:55 (permalink)
Dappa1

Is Freddie a staff member of CW?

Nope! He works for Roland...

I Kid, I kid!

A1
A1MixMan
Max Output Level: -58 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1706
Re:Telll us more... 2010/12/17 03:29:51 (permalink)
I agree with Freddie that the ProChannel need pimpin' out.

I really like it.

Remember though,

It's more about the music than the tools...

A1
Freddie H
Re:Telll us more... 2010/12/17 03:52:58 (permalink)
A1MixMan

I agree with Freddie that the ProChannel need pimpin' out.

I really like it.

Remember though,

It's more about the music than the tools...

+1 Agree.
Also use your ears. Don't just go on "Hype" on any products.

Merry Christmas All!

Best Regards
Freddie

JazzSinger
Max Output Level: -73 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 895
Re:Telll us more... 2010/12/17 04:17:51 (permalink)
It's easy: You start with the knob at the top.

If it sounds better when you turn it one way, then turn it fully in that direction.
If it sounds worse, turn it fully in the other direction.

You now have the best sound for that knob.
Move on to the next knob.

Right?

Wrong. In order to know what you are doing, you need to know what it does.
post edited by JazzSinger - 2010/12/17 05:41:53
subtlearts
Max Output Level: -53.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2200
Re:Telll us more... 2010/12/17 04:55:56 (permalink)
jon busticle

wrong about what? "Vagueness" is the issue im having, and here I am met with more of the same. Ive been wrong all my life so tell me something i DIDNT know...sorry if that sounded mean; I'm just frustrated and blown away that I seem to be the only one wondering about things that should have DEFINITELY been in the manual. So many other companies would brag about the prochannel but cake seems to be short in behind-the scenes info especially on the saturation modes (which do sound pretty good) Peacers!

I guess Mudgel was just responding to your 'please tell me I'm wrong but' concept about what the EQ modes are. They are not repackaged versions of Sonitus, V64 and LP64 EQ's. The EQ is a whole new animal and its three modes have to do with the shape of the filter curves; there's a BIT more information on it in the video on this page:  http://cakewalk.com/Products/SONAR/X1-Producer/Details.aspx/ProChannel ... still not terribly specific but the visuals give you a bit of an idea. 

tobias tinker 
music is easy: just start with complete silence, and take away the parts you don't like!
tobiastinker.com
aeosrecords.com
soundfascination.com
Sonar Platinum, a bunch of other stuff...
mudgel
  • Total Posts : 12010
Re:Telll us more... 2010/12/17 05:36:18 (permalink)
Glad someone got it! Thanks

Mike V. (MUDGEL)

STUDIO: Win 10 Pro x64, SPlat & CbB x64,
PC: ASUS Z370-A, INTEL i7 8700k, 32GIG DDR4 2400, OC 4.7Ghz.
Storage: 7 TB SATA III, 750GiG SSD & Samsung 500 Gig 960 EVO NVMe M.2.
Monitors: Adam A7X, JBL 10” Sub.
Audio I/O & DSP Server: DIGIGRID IOS & IOX.
Screen: Raven MTi + 43" HD 4K TV Monitor.
Keyboard Controller: Native Instruments Komplete Kontrol S88.
jon busticle
Re:Telll us more... 2010/12/17 08:07:00 (permalink)
quote- 

Glad someone got it! Thanks 

I get the sarcastic joke and i know how to use an EQ, compressor etc. There's no need to throw out the whole "use your ears and judge for yourself" stuff aimed at idiots who can't record or mix. I'm simply curious as to what these different modes (specifically the 3 different EQ modes and even more so, the 2 different saturation modes/models) are doing. So far, my ears tell me that (like any audio processor)certain modes sound better on certain things, and that the saturation modes do sound quite different. Having already seen the link posted above, in addition to the information provided in their "mindmap" sticky; I simply wanted to know more about their modelling and research. The second saturation mode sounds brighter and a bit more hi-fi, so i'm curious why that is (3rd harmonics?). No offense but it's kind of annoying when you ask a simple question and everyone hits me with smart*ss, degrading comments. Gearslutz is sometimes the same way. Freddie was kind enough to answer my PM and said that basically there is no info on that available- fair enough. Ive been doing this for a long time and am interested in whats under the hood. Quit hatin... Peace and much love for X1 over here! -JON

post edited by jon busticle - 2010/12/17 08:12:25

Sonar/Cakewalk is merely a glorified toy for the consumer market. (This is what he said right before I maimed him)
jon busticle
Re:Telll us more... 2010/12/17 08:18:30 (permalink)
subtlearts

jon busticle

I guess Mudgel was just responding to your 'please tell me I'm wrong but' concept about what the EQ modes are. They are not repackaged versions of Sonitus, V64 and LP64 EQ's. The EQ is a whole new animal and its three modes have to do with the shape of the filter curves; there's a BIT more information on it in the video on this page:  http://cakewalk.com/Products/SONAR/X1-Producer/Details.aspx/ProChannel ... still not terribly specific but the visuals give you a bit of an idea. 
So I'm guessing that modern, vintage and pure all simply have different bandwidth behaviors and interactions? Are all supposed to be "modelling" analog EQs or did they simply shoot for what sounded good, while being DSP lite? Sorry if I'm asking the wrong person, but you gave the clearest info thus far and i'm extremely curious. Thanks!

Sonar/Cakewalk is merely a glorified toy for the consumer market. (This is what he said right before I maimed him)
benjamincharles
  • Total Posts : 83
Re:The NEW ProChannel ● Back Story! 2010/12/17 08:31:35 (permalink)
Freddie H

For those who interesting about SONAT X1 under the hood!

http://www.cakewalk.com/FinePrint/

Meh, I think the Pro Channel would be better if it were only available in 64 bit DAWs.  It sounds better in x64 I think.

Basic info: Win7 32 bit, Sonar 8.5 PE, MaxMSP 5, MOTIF6,
EMU Proteus 1/2/3, ADAM A7, DAC1, Alphatrack

Freddie H
Re:Telll us more... 2010/12/17 09:19:06 (permalink) ☄ Helpful
jon busticle

So I'm guessing that modern, vintage and pure all simply have different bandwidth behaviors and interactions? Are all supposed to be "modelling" analog EQs or did they simply shoot for what sounded good, while being DSP lite?

Yes!

All 3 EQ:s sounds and reacts differently on the Q-values. Especially in Low and High frequency bands, especially if you select "SHELF"-mode in those Bands.

How they sound & work differently are displayed in the EQ-graf.
Personal I like the first one default "PURE" and second "Vintage" mode best, but they all sound good. All have their equine characteristic sound and are very useful. 

GLOSS EQ the best thing!

The "GLOSS EQ"-button that are available on all EQ:s-modes. That makes it sounds warm and very open and musical. You can say that the last bit of magic of the EQ!

The TUBE-Section
The TUBE-Sat that are also in very high quality, give the warm analogue sound to the track.

The Compressors
The PRO CHANNELS Compressors sounds like real SSL, NEVE and API High-end hardware compressors.
They have already done "blind test" its very hard to pick the different. Many pick and say that PRO CHANNEL are the hardware instead over the real SSL NEVE hardware compressor.

* Note all this awesome things with very very very low CPU

Best Regards
Freddie
post edited by Freddie H - 2010/12/17 09:37:21

Freddie H
Re:Telll us more... 2010/12/17 09:40:18 (permalink) ☄ Helpful
* INFO Note* There are some graphical bugs going on in PRO CHANNEL in this first release version.
All these BUGS will be addressed in next update that are scheduler the 20th of December 2010.

subtlearts
Re:Telll us more... 2010/12/17 10:28:18 (permalink)
All have their equine characteristic sound

Now that's something I hadn't heard yet; I wonder how many horsepower they are packing? (just teasing, no offense intended) 

I don't actually have X1 yet so I can't comment on the sound or characteristics, or what they may or may not have to do with horses... and as far as I know behind-the-scenes technical information is still kind of thin on the ground. 

Most people seem to like the toolset in terms of sound (well, to be fair there's a range of opinion - Freddie tells us it's the best comp/EQ in the history of the world but Mike McCue apparently hates it on principle), there seem to be a few bugs and limitations, but details on what's under the hood are at this point not forthcoming. Wish I could be more helpful than that...

tobias tinker 
music is easy: just start with complete silence, and take away the parts you don't like!
tobiastinker.com
aeosrecords.com
soundfascination.com
AT
  • Total Posts : 10654
Re:Telll us more... 2010/12/17 10:41:27 (permalink)
There is almost info overload going on for a lot of this release - pro channel being the case here.  There is a lot of info, some marketing, but other stuff Brandon etc. have said/wrote and hints scattered around.

One gets the feeling Cake was working on this until the last minute of release and didn't have time to collate everything from different aspects to do a proper job of announcements.  Which is fine.  A major upgrade like this has changes all over the place, and I would rather Cake do the job and worry about passing on the individual bits of info later.  And remember, a beta test is small, now they have to see what problems crop up when thousands, if not tens of thousands of systems stress their programming chops.  I would rather they get that sussed out first, then a manual.

As to the op's question - none of the comments (so far) have indicated a specific EQ the modes were modeled after.  Someone did say that the vintage curves were modeled after older equpiment EQ curves but didn't specify.  I'd leave it at that and use my ears.  Granted, it would be interesting to know if a specific model was used, but in the end it don't make no nevermid - the eq curves are what they are.

Generally, it would be nice if Cake had someone who could go through all the hints given by the bakers and info from the PR people and make a X1 blog, but that would be a lot of work to make it more coherent than these forums.  I suspect they will collect more info and give it to us.  But maybe not - SFZ info is still all over the place, although clumped together better.

@

https://soundcloud.com/a-pleasure-dome
http://www.bnoir-film.com/  

there came forth little children out of the city, and mocked him, and said unto him, Go up, thou bald head; go up, thou bald head.
24 And he turned back, and looked on them, and cursed them in the name of the Lord. And there came forth two she bears out of the wood, and tare forty and two children of them.
Rain
  • Total Posts : 9736
Re:Telll us more... 2010/12/17 11:11:04 (permalink)
AT

There is almost info overload going on for a lot of this release - pro channel being the case here.  There is a lot of info, some marketing, but other stuff Brandon etc. have said/wrote and hints scattered around.

One gets the feeling Cake was working on this until the last minute of release and didn't have time to collate everything from different aspects to do a proper job of announcements.  Which is fine.  A major upgrade like this has changes all over the place, and I would rather Cake do the job and worry about passing on the individual bits of info later.  And remember, a beta test is small, now they have to see what problems crop up when thousands, if not tens of thousands of systems stress their programming chops.  I would rather they get that sussed out first, then a manual.

As to the op's question - none of the comments (so far) have indicated a specific EQ the modes were modeled after.  Someone did say that the vintage curves were modeled after older equpiment EQ curves but didn't specify.  I'd leave it at that and use my ears.  Granted, it would be interesting to know if a specific model was used, but in the end it don't make no nevermid - the eq curves are what they are.

Generally, it would be nice if Cake had someone who could go through all the hints given by the bakers and info from the PR people and make a X1 blog, but that would be a lot of work to make it more coherent than these forums.  I suspect they will collect more info and give it to us.  But maybe not - SFZ info is still all over the place, although clumped together better.

@
As long as they don't tell us which EQ they've modeled it after, people have to use their ears and decide wether they like it or not. That's totally unfair! Some might also attempt to decide using their eyes to help out, of course... 

The minute they tell us exactly what it's modeled after, then of course we can start comparing it to the real thing - or most likely to other models of the real thing - and then make a much more educated decision. 

I don't know if they realize that until they do tell us, many won't be able to decide whether it's actually good or bad. I mean how are people supposed to judge it? Based solely on its own merits? That's so totally unfair. ;) ;) ;)

FWIW, I've seen the same type of discussion in regard to Logic's compressor, which emulates the behavior of classic compression types w/o referring to actual brands and models. It drives people nuts.

TCB - Tea, Cats, Books...
subtlearts
Re:Telll us more... 2010/12/17 12:03:36 (permalink)
Generally, it would be nice if Cake had someone who could go through all the hints given by the bakers and info from the PR people and make a X1 blog, but that would be a lot of work to make it more coherent than these forums.

Hmmm... although I know what you mean, a case could be made that it would actually be difficult to make anything *less* coherent than these forums at present... 

tobias tinker 
tobiastinker.com
aeosrecords.com
soundfascination.com
Freddie H
Re:Telll us more... 2010/12/17 12:18:53 (permalink)
I'm was a huge LOGIC fan before i discover SONAR. USER since LOGIC 1 from Emagic time...

Someone talk about LOGIC plugins...
About LOGIC plugins LOGIC STUDIO 9. Everyone knows that all synth and EQ:s in LOGIC has a overall very harsh plastic distinctive sound.

Best Regards
Freddie

AT
Re:Telll us more... 2010/12/17 12:19:36 (permalink)
True dat about coherence.  Which is why it would be so much work.  I wouldn't want the job, that is for sure! :-0

@

there came forth little children out of the city, and mocked him, and said unto him, Go up, thou bald head; go up, thou bald head.
24 And he turned back, and looked on them, and cursed them in the name of the Lord. And there came forth two she bears out of the wood, and tare forty and two children of them.
Rain
  • Total Posts : 9736
Re:Telll us more... 2010/12/17 12:57:28 (permalink)
Freddie H

I'm was a huge LOGIC fan before i discover SONAR. USER since LOGIC 1 from Emagic time...

Someone talk about LOGIC plugins...
About LOGIC plugins LOGIC STUDIO 9. Everyone knows that all synth and EQ:s in LOGIC has a overall very harsh plastic distinctive sound.

Best Regards
Freddie
Freddie, maybe you can give the hype campaign a break. This is a Sonar forum. Most of the people here already use Sonar. Furthermore, assuming that most here are using PC as their platform of choice, there is no competition.

Logic's plug-ins and synths are as good as anything you'll get in Sonar. To be perfectly honest, some of the synths bundled w/ it are among my favorites. Their EQs are also quite good - I use them constantly. Furthermore, the only reason I mention Logic was to illustrate the common behavior.

It doesn't take anything away from Sonar. 

I appreciate that you like Sonar that much and are highly enthusiastic about it, but frankly, statements like "everybody knows that..." just cannot be backed up. Just the opposite, as most of them are usually considered quite capable. 

But this is your thread and you're entitled to say whatever you want.

TCB - Tea, Cats, Books...
AT
Re:Telll us more... 2010/12/17 14:00:32 (permalink)
Yea, Rain, I hadn't thought about that.  Of course, I don't have a bunch of classic hardware to compare it w/ here, but that shouldn't stop me discovering all the missing fairy dust ;-)

jon busticle
Sat types 2010/12/17 14:32:26 (permalink)
So what are the differences between the saturation types 1 and 2? That's the only question that hasn't been answered to any degree at all. I do agree that if CAKE tells us exactly what it's emulating, people will start drawing direct comparisons, however, if that is the case 100%, then why name the comps "76" and "4k"? Im gathering (from the answers i've gotten here) that the EQ modes differ ONLY in their Q relationships, and in no other way whatsoever. True? Thanks to everyone so far...Please do tell about the Sat modes 
post edited by jon busticle - 2010/12/17 14:35:27

Page: 1234 > Showing page 1 of 4
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1