6.2 Update and the FW-1884

Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 3 of 12
Author
dcasey
Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 141
RE: 6.2 Update and the FW-1884 2007/01/31 12:18:50 (permalink)
I don't have anything to add regarding issues with the FW1884 and Sonar 6.x, other than to say I am a frustrated FW1884 user as well - I feel your pain. I take some comfort in knowing that there are more 1884 + Sonar users than I realized; still probably not the kind of numbers that will make Sonar/Tascam/Frontier Design make this a high priority - we can only hope they will. I am especially disappointed because I’m a FW1884, GigaStudio 3, and as of last night – a Tascam GVI owner. I think I should stop giving Tascam any more of my hard earned money. Too bad, I had my heart set on a couple FE-8’s once I move into my new studio.

Now where is that CD with Cubase LE that came with my FW1884…

DAW: i7920, 9GB, Win7 x64 / Presonus Firestudio Project (2), Firestudio Tube, Monitor Station, Faderport, Sceptre S8's/ Frontier Design Tranzport / M-Audio Midisport 4x4 / Roland GR-55, GI-20, VG-8 / Novation 25 SL MKII / Alesis 720 DSP / Sonar X3 PE / Vienna Ensemble Pro / Voxengo / iZotope / NI / IK / eieio

VSTi Server 1: AMD FX-8350, 16GB, Win7 x64 / Komplete / Vienna Ensemble Pro

VSTi Server 2: AMD A6-3670K, 16GB, Win 7 x64 / Echo Gina24 / Vienna Ensemble Pro 

www.soundcloud.com/dannycasey 
manthe
Max Output Level: -82 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 401
RE: 6.2 Update and the FW-1884 2007/01/31 13:00:41 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: dcasey

I don't have anything to add regarding issues with the FW1884 and Sonar 6.x, other than to say I am a frustrated FW1884 user as well - I feel your pain. I take some comfort in knowing that there are more 1884 + Sonar users than I realized; still probably not the kind of numbers that will make Sonar/Tascam/Frontier Design make this a high priority - we can only hope they will. I am especially disappointed because I’m a FW1884, GigaStudio 3, and as of last night – a Tascam GVI owner. I think I should stop giving Tascam any more of my hard earned money. Too bad, I had my heart set on a couple FE-8’s once I move into my new studio.

Now where is that CD with Cubase LE that came with my FW1884…

Ugh..don't even put your fingerprints on that LE CD

Despite Tascam's notoriously poor/slow service, i really do love their hardware. I've been fortunate enough never to actually need their service. This particular issue has far more to do with Cakewalk and Frontier. It has very little to do with Tascam. Unless I get screwed by Tascam, I'll keep using their gear. I've been eying that 48!

-manthe

Moonface Studio | Records | Publishing

http://www.moonfacerecords.com

Equipment List - http://moonfacerecords.com/Moonface/Studio_Gear.html
Jose7822
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 10031
RE: 6.2 Update and the FW-1884 2007/01/31 14:03:23 (permalink)
Manthe,

If you read my first post you will notice that I did NOT quote you. I was talking about the comments made by two other forum members. Next post, you're all over me. Then, after a couple more post, I said I was staying out of it. Several post later you came with this:

Looks like our forum activities have paid off!!!

I sure am glad we weren't influenced to all run off, in to the shadows and individually address our issues, one at a time to the vendors (as some here have suggested)!

Thanks again Bob and Cakewalk!

I tried hard not to reply but couldn't resist . I don't know how many times you guys want me to say it but I WAS NEVER AGAINST YOU GUYS HAVING YOUR PROBLEM FIXED, JUST THE WAY IT WAS DONE. If you tell me the following doesn't sound hypocritical then you obviously don't know the meaning of that word:

DK:
This is terrible news and I am very very dissapointed in both parties.

DK:
Now there is my Cakewalk - I knew you guys were in the loop on this - Good news indeed and thanks for staying in the fight for us Bob - We appreciate you and the crew more than you know!

As far as this:

I am just trying to get where you are coming from with all this?

Just want people to show some respect to the hard work Cakewalk puts in Sonar and stop complaining so much, thats all. That was the whole reason of my first post up until the last.
manthe
RE: 6.2 Update and the FW-1884 2007/01/31 14:29:29 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Jose7822

Manthe,

If you read my first post you will notice that I did NOT quote you. I was talking about the comments made by two other forum members. Next post, you're all over me. Then, after a couple more post, I said I was staying out of it. Several post later you came with this:

I sure am glad we weren't influenced to all run off, in to the shadows and individually address our issues, one at a time to the vendors (as some here have suggested)!

I tried hard not to reply but couldn't resist . I don't know how many times you guys want me to say it but I WAS NEVER AGAINST YOU GUYS HAVING YOUR PROBLEM FIXED, JUST THE WAY IT WAS DONE. If you tell me the following doesn't sound hypocritical then you obviously don't know the meaning of that word:

DK:

DK:
Now there is my Cakewalk - I knew you guys were in the loop on this - Good news indeed and thanks for staying in the fight for us Bob - We appreciate you and the crew more than you know!

As far as this:

Just want people to show some respect to the hard work Cakewalk puts in Sonar and stop complaining so much, thats all. That was the whole reason of my first post up until the last.

My son loves and respects me, unconditionally. When I tell him I'll do something and (for WHATEVER reason...legitimate or not) i can not do it, he gets disappointed with me. If I make it up to him, he is happy and appreciative.

-manthe

D K
Max Output Level: -66 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1237
RE: 6.2 Update and the FW-1884 2007/01/31 15:26:29 (permalink)

Manthe,

DK:

DK:

As far as this:

OK Dude - I'm done - I tried to be reasonable but If you are going to act like a moron I'll treat you like one

If you are too silly or immature to tell the difference between being dissapointed in something you love and then giving credit and proper respect to the same something you love for doing the right thing and hypocrisy - then you have way bigger issues than DAW software

My kids dissapoint me sometimes and I am sure I do them also - But I still love them and they love me - AND WE MOVE ON!!

FACTS ARE: You don't have any idea what the hell you are talking about - Your just talkin - That's why you have no answers to very simple questions and:

There was no reason for your first or subsequent post in this thread - Your just trollin

We done?

www.ateliersound.com

ADK Custom  I7-2600 K
Win 7 64bit /8 Gig Ram/WD-Seagate Drives(x3)
Sonar 8.5.3 (32bit)/Sonar X3b(64bit)/Pro Tools 9
Lavry Blue/Black Lion Audio Mod Tango 24/RME Hammerfall Multiface II/UAD Duo

D K
RE: 6.2 Update and the FW-1884 2007/01/31 15:45:46 (permalink)
And just so I stay consistent

I Love Cakewalk .. But I am still dissapointed that it took this long to get any traction here....

Still Confused???

www.ateliersound.com

ADK Custom  I7-2600 K

Jose7822
RE: 6.2 Update and the FW-1884 2007/01/31 15:58:41 (permalink)
I was done a long time ago. Hope that your issues with the Tascam gets resolved as soon as possible as I understand how frustrating something could be when it doesn't work properly. Also wanna ad that I really didn't want to go this far with all of this as it's not how I am but you guys didn't get what I was trying to say, so I won't add more to this thread. Just know that I don't hold any grudges on any of you for anything. On the contrary, this has been a learning experience for me. If there's anything you guys need help with that's withing my reach I will be there to assist. Take care, peace.
manthe
RE: 6.2 Update and the FW-1884 2007/01/31 16:36:54 (permalink)

I was done a long time ago. Hope that your issues with the Tascam gets resolved as soon as possible as I understand how frustrating something could be when it doesn't work properly. Also wanna ad that I really didn't want to go this far with all of this as it's not how I am but you guys didn't get what I was trying to say, so I won't add more to this thread. Just know that I don't hold any grudges on any of you for anything. On the contrary, this has been a learning experience for me. If there's anything you guys need help with that's withing my reach I will be there to assist. Take care, peace.

No hard feelings at all here. I don't ever associate names with these types of disagreements!

-manthe

guitarmikeh
Max Output Level: -72 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 942
RE: 6.2 Update and the FW-1884 2007/02/01 15:41:29 (permalink)
I would suggest all us 1884 users to email Tascam.

Asking, begging them to provide this new dll. so we can get up and running at full speed again.

If Tascam posts this new dll for the 1884, they will restore my faith in them. my personal Tascam boycott ends at that moment.

I have already emailed them, and was perfectlly nice and polite, with humility

I have friends looking at a DM3200 maybe a dm-4800 so am I ( mybee in a few years ) <drools>
post edited by guitarmikeh - 2007/02/01 16:02:30

I harbor no ill will towards any man.
D K
RE: 6.2 Update and the FW-1884 2007/02/01 15:52:30 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: guitarmikeh

Asking, begging them to provide this new dll. so we can get up and running at full speed again.

If Tascam posts this new dll for the 1884, they will restore my faith in them. my personal Tascam boycott ends at that moment.

I have friends looking at a DM3200 maybe a dm-4800 so am I ( mybee in a few years ) <drools>

Done!

www.ateliersound.com

ADK Custom  I7-2600 K

manthe
RE: 6.2 Update and the FW-1884 2007/02/01 15:53:25 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: guitarmikeh

I'd be happy to. Would you mind posting (or PMing) the contents or your e-mail. That way we could all customize it (so it doesn't look like a form letter....unless that would be a better idea). Doing this would help immensly in making sure we are all 'on the same page' and are saying the same things to Tascam. I think it would be more effective that way, no?

-manthe

guitarmikeh
RE: 6.2 Update and the FW-1884 2007/02/01 16:07:15 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: hockeyjx

If Frontier wants people to write, I can certainly do that - just let me know.

Anything for some new drivers!

hey hockeyjx,

if tascam doesn't come through, I would be willing to commission you to write something for us, if you could do that.

thanks

mikeh

manthe ; you got mail

guitarmikeh
RE: 6.2 Update and the FW-1884 2007/02/01 16:11:20 (permalink)

Jose,
I retract my stament. I'm sorry for being pissy. thanks. peace. if there's anything I could help you with, I'd be happy to.

mikeh

riojazz
Max Output Level: -64 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1337
RE: 6.2 Update and the FW-1884 2007/02/01 16:39:39 (permalink)
Is it Tascam or Frontier who should receive our requests for the new FW-1884 driver?

Software: Cakewalk by Bandlab; Adobe Audition; Band-in-A-Box audiophile; Izotope Ozone; Encore; Melodyne; Win 10 Pro, 64-bit.

Hardware: Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 2nd; Roland Integra-7; TCE Finalizer; Presonus Central Station, Behringer X-Touch.  Home built i7 with 16 GB RAM, SSDs.
Jose7822
RE: 6.2 Update and the FW-1884 2007/02/01 16:55:57 (permalink)
Jose,
I retract my stament. I'm sorry for being pissy. thanks. peace. if there's anything I could help you with, I'd be happy to.

mikeh

Hey Mikeh!

Hopefully we can just forget any of this ever happened and start fresh. Now lets all go hang out to the bar and have a few drinks, shall we? . Peace.
D K
RE: 6.2 Update and the FW-1884 2007/02/01 17:05:58 (permalink)

It's all good my Brother - after all - we are fellow Sonarites and we do love our Sonar and want it to be the best it can be. Which is pretty darn good if you ask me !

No harm no foul!!!

www.ateliersound.com

ADK Custom  I7-2600 K

Jay Stephen
Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 267
RE: 6.2 Update and the FW-1884 2007/02/01 17:16:49 (permalink)
It may help to understand the roles and responsibilities of the parties. Tascam contracted Frontier to design the FW-1884 for them. Tascam manfactured and marketed it. Tascam released a "control surface plug-in" to work with S2. Cakewalk has released control surface plug-ins for some hardware but not the 1884 - that has been Tascam.

Having said that, all the parties have an interest in compatibility but I believe it is the hardware manufacturer who should have the most interest in ensuring their gear works with a particular software. After all, a hardware "controller" is pretty well useless if it can't control the software.

I suggest you write them all a note encouraging them to work together to resolve your concerns.

In case my bias is not obvious, I'm of the opinion that in relative terms; "Software is everything - hardware is nothing"

XP SP1 Home (tweaked)
P4 2.8 HT on P4C800-E
4x512 OCZ Dual Channel DDR
Matrox G450 Dual
10G SCSI O/S
80G SATA Audio
500G SATA Backup
M-Audio Delta 44 -WDM
Pioneer A107D DVD-RW
guitarmikeh
RE: 6.2 Update and the FW-1884 2007/02/01 17:39:56 (permalink)
I agree with you Jay, I will be following up with emails to Frontier Designs, and Cake, as well as thanking them for their work.
thanks

ORIGINAL: riojazz

Is it Tascam or Frontier who should receive our requests for the new FW-1884 driver?

I think you should contact Tascam, that's what I did. but will be following up with other emails as posted above.

Now lets all go hang out to the bar and have a few drinks

first round is on me..
post edited by guitarmikeh - 2007/02/01 18:03:58

Jose7822
RE: 6.2 Update and the FW-1884 2007/02/01 17:43:59 (permalink)
It's all good my Brother - after all - we are fellow Sonarites and we do love our Sonar and want it to be the best it can be. Which is pretty darn good if you ask me !

No harm no foul!!!

That's right. Good to hear that from you D.K. Take care.
manthe
RE: 6.2 Update and the FW-1884 2007/02/01 18:59:53 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Jay Stephen

It may help to understand the roles and responsibilities of the parties. Tascam contracted Frontier to design the FW-1884 for them. Tascam manfactured and marketed it. Tascam released a "control surface plug-in" to work with S2. Cakewalk has released control surface plug-ins for some hardware but not the 1884 - that has been Tascam.

Having said that, all the parties have an interest in compatibility but I believe it is the hardware manufacturer who should have the most interest in ensuring their gear works with a particular software. After all, a hardware "controller" is pretty well useless if it can't control the software.

I suggest you write them all a note encouraging them to work together to resolve your concerns.

In case my bias is not obvious, I'm of the opinion that in relative terms; "Software is everything - hardware is nothing"

I agree with everything you wrote, except the very last part. I'm more of a hardware guy though. Hardware is a lasting investment when it comes to recording studios. 10 years from now, all of my multi-thousand $ pres, mics and compressors will still be worth the same...if not more! Sonar 6 will be worth nothing, monetarily. That doesn't mean I do not see the value of great software...I do, indeed! And believe me, SONAR is GREAT software!!

-manthe

hockeyjx
Max Output Level: -74 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 839
RE: 6.2 Update and the FW-1884 2007/02/02 02:00:50 (permalink)
Pardon me if I didn't bother to look at the last page or so of the post, but what address should we send our request to? That way, we're all sending to the same/hopefully right page, and get our point across!
Jay Stephen
Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 267
RE: 6.2 Update and the FW-1884 2007/02/02 11:37:54 (permalink)

Clarification: By "hardware" I was referring to PC's & "controllers". Certainly not pre's, mics, monitors etc.

XP SP1 Home (tweaked)
P4 2.8 HT on P4C800-E
4x512 OCZ Dual Channel DDR
Matrox G450 Dual
10G SCSI O/S
80G SATA Audio
500G SATA Backup
M-Audio Delta 44 -WDM
Pioneer A107D DVD-RW
manthe
RE: 6.2 Update and the FW-1884 2007/02/02 11:44:42 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Jay Stephen

Clarification: By "hardware" I was referring to PC's & "controllers". Certainly not pre's, mics, monitors etc.

Ahhh. Then I retract...and I agree!

-manthe

seclusion
Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 111
RE: 6.2 Update and the FW-1884 2007/02/02 19:57:40 (permalink)
I sent this to the Tascam email support page...

" Good morning everyone

I have a Tascam FW 1884 unit running in my studio here and have just purchased a new Daw for Sonar 6.2.
I've been using a AMD system that has run solid with-in a 32 bit OS environment.
When I had some down time in the fall I tried XP Pro x64 with Sonar on a separate Harddrive in which the Firewire light would go on and off intermittently.
Of course I used the x64 driver on the Tascam website.
So I stopped testing the waters...

This new Daw I purchased with Vista x64 with lot'sa ram and a Intel Core 2 duo that's going to Rawk...
I know it's only been a couple of days since Vista's release.
I frequent the Sonar forum and the tascamforums to keep updated.

I know I won't get a " Vista drivers will be release Mar 1st"
But I just want to chime in as another user that would love to see the FW series driver and control software development continue for the new operating systems Vista and Leopard.

Thanks for your time, and for a product that has help my songwriting work flow much more efficient.

Thank you

Yours Truly "

Hopefully we're not forgotten...
Later
D K
RE: 6.2 Update and the FW-1884 2007/02/02 22:06:36 (permalink)
To all my Fellow 1884 users:

I wanted to post this response I got back from the guys at Frontier - Upon reading it you can tell that they really are trying to get this done and are trying to get it done AT THEIR OWN EXPENSE. I really think it approriate that we write to these guys and thank them for their efforts - It is way above the call of duty

Hello Dwayne,

Here's the scoop.

We are going to take a look at the problem list as sent to us by
another
forum member. As mentioned in the forums, we are also in communication
with Cakewalk regarding what set this off in the first place and
believe
we have a handle on that. The existing FW-1884 plug-in was written to
accommidate control issues in earlier versions of Sonar that have been
changed recently. While I can not make any promises at this time, we
will see if there is a 'quick fix' to all or some of these issues. If
there is then we will forward a new dll file to TASCAM for their
approval and hopefully posting. Because we have not been contracted to
do this by TASCAM this isn't a 'paying' project, and is being done as a
courtesy to our friends at Cakewalk. While we hope to do this quickly
it
has to fit in our 'spare time', which is very limited. As such I can't
say if this will be a few days or weeks until we have a chance to look
at it more.

Bottom line is this, we are aware that there are some problems and if
we
can come up with an easy fix then we will try to get that out. If it
turns into a bigger problem then we will have to consult TASCAM about
it
as this is their product in the end. No promised but we'll try.

Best,

Brian

These guys are trying to do us a favor here - Let's show our support for em - eh!!

www.ateliersound.com

ADK Custom  I7-2600 K

manthe
RE: 6.2 Update and the FW-1884 2007/02/02 22:10:32 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: D K

I wanted to post this response I got back from the guys at Frontier - Upon reading it you can tell that they really are trying to get this done and are trying to get it done AT THEIR OWN EXPENSE. I really think it approriate that we write to these guys and thank them for their efforts - It is way above the call of duty

Hello Dwayne,

Here's the scoop.

another
believe
it
at it more.

we
it

Best,

Brian

These guys are trying to do us a favor here - Let's show our support for em - eh!!

I'd be MORE than happy to contribute to a fund to finance this effort by frontier. Could you ask your contact their ~ what it might 'cost' to do this. Evebn if we can cover a portion of it, at least it would not be a complete loss for them!

Thanks for keeping us advised!!

-manthe

manthe
RE: 6.2 Update and the FW-1884 2007/02/02 22:12:18 (permalink)

Hello Dwayne,

Here's the scoop.

another
believe
it
at it more.

we
it

Best,

Brian

Also tell them that this has now completely solidified my indecision as to whether ot not to buy a tranzport for the studio drum kit!

-manthe

D K
RE: 6.2 Update and the FW-1884 2007/02/02 22:23:35 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: manthe

Hello Dwayne,

Here's the scoop.

another
believe
it
at it more.

we
it

Best,

Brian

Also tell them that this has now completely solidified my indecision as to whether ot not to buy a tranzport for the studio drum kit!

www.ateliersound.com

ADK Custom  I7-2600 K

guitarmikeh
RE: 6.2 Update and the FW-1884 2007/02/02 23:29:29 (permalink)
oh man!!! This is blowing my mind!!!!

These guys are Awesome!!! already got a Tranzport. Thinking about getting another.

I'm speechless. except to say Thank you to Frontier Designs, you guys here on the forum, and Ultimately Cakewalk and Bob Damiano.

ChronoT52
Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 165
RE: 6.2 Update and the FW-1884 2007/02/03 00:33:41 (permalink)
This is really awesome. Really, incredibly awesome. I had no idea this thread was going to be so productive.

Although all of this still seems a bit iffy, as nobody is promising anything, I am VERY excited to see this go through. If we get a new control surface plugin as well as Vista drivers, we with 1884s are going to be back in the game!

Honestly, I find it a shame that this product isn't a Frontier Designs FW-1884 instead of a TASCAM. FD seems to know what they're doing with Customer Support. TASCAM could learn a thing or two.

Oh, if somebody really does know what they're doing with DLLs and would want some help, I'm an intermediately skilled programmer with a copy of Visual Studio 2005 and I'd be more than willing to try to help rewrite stuff if worse comes to worse, as long as somebody is there to tell me what needs done and it's something within my grasp.
Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 3 of 12
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1