6.2 Update and the FW-1884

Page: << < ..678910.. > >> Showing page 6 of 12
Author
riojazz
Max Output Level: -64 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1337
RE: 6.2 Update and the FW-1884 2007/05/16 09:19:31 (permalink)
Does anyone have any news about this Tascam update yet?

Software: Cakewalk by Bandlab; Adobe Audition; Band-in-A-Box audiophile; Izotope Ozone; Encore; Melodyne; Win 10 Pro, 64-bit.

Hardware: Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 2nd; Roland Integra-7; TCE Finalizer; Presonus Central Station, Behringer X-Touch.  Home built i7 with 16 GB RAM, SSDs.
Jay Stephen
Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 267
RE: 6.2 Update and the FW-1884 2007/05/16 10:12:50 (permalink)
None. Pretty frustrating, eh. (Canadian for "huh")

XP SP1 Home (tweaked)
P4 2.8 HT on P4C800-E
4x512 OCZ Dual Channel DDR
Matrox G450 Dual
10G SCSI O/S
80G SATA Audio
500G SATA Backup
M-Audio Delta 44 -WDM
Pioneer A107D DVD-RW
ChronoT52
Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 165
RE: 6.2 Update and the FW-1884 2007/05/16 10:33:46 (permalink)
Somehow I no longer think the "no news is good news" addage applies to our debacle.
manthe
Max Output Level: -82 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 401
RE: 6.2 Update and the FW-1884 2007/05/16 11:35:36 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: ChronoT52

Somehow I no longer think the "no news is good news" addage applies to our debacle.

I disagree, guys. I honestly believe we'll see an update. In fact, my gut tells me it exists. I bet that Frontier submitted something to Tascam and it is sitting in their gaping chasm, waiting to be 'reviewed'. I think it is now time for another HARD push at Tascam to get this update approved and released.

I, for one, am going to send another (polite), highly persuasive note to Tascam, with my original note pasted in for reference (pasted below).

Here are the addresses I am going to send it to:

custser@teac.com
tascamrepair@teac.com

***Original e-mail***

"Tascam support,

I am a long time Tascam customer. I've never needed or solicited support up to this point. But now, there is a big problem with the control surface functionality in Cakewalk's SONAR 6.x DAW platform. Even up to the latest update ( 6.2), there are several bits of control surface functionality that are broken. This is a well known and well documented problem across many user forums all over the Internet, by a large number of users. I know that several other FW-1884 owners have written in with the same issues, and I wanted to join the chorus of owners defining the issues and politely begging for a solution.

One of the things that sets the 1884 apart from other products available on the market is the tight integration with some of the platforms for which Frontier designed templates for the the 1884's native mode. It drove my decision to purchase the 1884.

The plugin template functioned perfectly from the time it was released until S6 was released. It has been verified by Cakewalk. Apparently, they 'fixed' something in their code relating to the implementation of control surfaces. This broke the code that Frontier had to use to get things to work with SONAR. Unfortunately, there is no way Cakewalk can remedy this issue. Their code change is permanent. So, it would be up to Tascam and Frontier to remedy this. Please consider this a formal support request to remedy the issues with the control surface functionality. Frontier has been made aware of this issue as well and have verified that the problem is real.

Thanks for your continued support,

Mike Manthe

PS -

Here is an example of some of the issues:

- Arming tracks does not work

- Controlling aux sends = screwy/not fully functional

- 'Write Automation' controls enable, but won't disable

- Selecting track on screen no longer selects track on unit"

-manthe

Moonface Studio | Records | Publishing

http://www.moonfacerecords.com

Equipment List - http://moonfacerecords.com/Moonface/Studio_Gear.html
ChronoT52
RE: 6.2 Update and the FW-1884 2007/05/18 13:10:06 (permalink)
Yet another email from TASCAM.

We are currently working on Vista drivers for the recently released official version of the OS. (July target date)

In the meantime it is suggested that the product be used on an XP platform.

Please check the model's webpage periodically for further updates on this subject.
If you are a U.S. resident and have registered your product accurately, you will receive an email when the drivers are ready for download.
http://www.tascam.com/warranty.php

Regarding the FW-1884 control surface update, we have received a preliminary update candidate from Frontier. However the operative word here is preliminary. It would be easy for us to upload an incomplete update but i'm sure you would agree that this would not be in anyone's best interest.

TASCAM is doing what we can on our end and once a completed working installer is approved we will gladly post it on the FW-1884 page of our website.

Thank you for your interest in TASCAM products.

Original Email-

Good afternoon!

I was just wondering what the status was on the Vista 32bit and 64bit drivers for the FW-1884. I recall in a previous email that the drivers were slated for May 2007. Also, I was wondering if the updated control surface template for SONAR 6 would also be available for download soon? Any information would be greatly appreciated, and I look forward to your response, or better yet, the drivers!

Thanks again!
guthrart
Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 327
RE: 6.2 Update and the FW-1884 2007/05/18 19:50:40 (permalink)
Hi Everyone,

Wow, I think that's great news Chronos!

Thanks for sharing!
post edited by rosefam6 - 2007/05/18 19:54:01
GuyPicks
Max Output Level: -83 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 389
RE: 6.2 Update and the FW-1884 2007/05/19 10:50:02 (permalink)
I've decided to hang on to my FW-1884.
Maybe there's still hope.

ADK Pro Audio RackMounted Computer
Sonar X3d
Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 
2x 24" Dell Dual Display
Windows 7 Ultimate (x64) 
12GB Ram
4x HDs 
Edirol PCR-800
Jay Stephen
RE: 6.2 Update and the FW-1884 2007/05/22 08:33:43 (permalink)
Thanks for posting some words of encouragement.

XP SP1 Home (tweaked)
P4 2.8 HT on P4C800-E
Matrox G450 Dual
10G SCSI O/S
80G SATA Audio
500G SATA Backup
M-Audio Delta 44 -WDM
Pioneer A107D DVD-RW
D K
Max Output Level: -66 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1237
RE: 6.2 Update and the FW-1884 2007/05/22 12:17:40 (permalink)
I had an interesting discussion about this matter over the past weekend with some friends of ours. Let me frame the conversation real quick and then get your opinion. My wife is a Paralegal and she has some freinds that she wanted to have over for dinner. These two couples were both Attorneys - Husband and Wife - all four of them (yeah - I know). So after dinner the fellas come back in and see the room and get all worked up over the studio. They are asking me a bunch of questions and we get to the 1884 - I describe to them that I love the machiue but there is some functionality missing with the lastest update.

Here is the heart of it - 1st) They asked my why I bought it if it did not work like I wanted to - Which I in turn told them how tight it integrated with Sonar 5.2

Immediately in almost unison - They say - This is the SOFTWARE maker's problem - NOT the HARDWARE Manufacturer's problem

I then proceed to tell them how good Cake is at support and how bad Tascam is - Like typical lawyers - They said that the fact is - The software company (for whatever reason) changed the code which rendered the hardware less optimum. They further said that if they were advising the Hardware mfg - They would advise that they allocate NO resources and to wait on the software company to advise the fixes AND any bugs that may occur.

Now, I dont know diddley about how these things work legally but I do think that after having this conversation with these types of people who (unlike me) have no stake invested whatsoever, I better understand the delay.

These 4 lawyers may be wrong but somehow I think they are pretty right on with their assesment. I think Tascam probably has gotten the same if not similar counsel.

What does this mean for us? - I think if there is going to be any "pushing" going on - It's going to have to be with our friends at Cake - Tascam will wait forever- why wouldnt they?
I've learned to just live with the workarounds so I pretty much let this go a long time ago but I thought it was an interesting conversation and I would like to hear your thoughts on it
post edited by D K - 2007/05/22 12:57:48

www.ateliersound.com

ADK Custom  I7-2600 K
Win 7 64bit /8 Gig Ram/WD-Seagate Drives(x3)
Sonar 8.5.3 (32bit)/Sonar X3b(64bit)/Pro Tools 9
Lavry Blue/Black Lion Audio Mod Tango 24/RME Hammerfall Multiface II/UAD Duo

Jay Stephen
RE: 6.2 Update and the FW-1884 2007/05/22 14:19:25 (permalink)
I can't claim many lawyers as friends but could side with their position, IF, Tascam's marketing and application notes & drivers were not so specific. I believe there is sufficient claims made by Tascam to suggest that resolving the problem is primarily their responsibility. I think your lawyer friends may be using the philosophy of an OS and PC as a base of comparison. For instance, my laptop clearly states what version of the "Windows" it will run. On the other hand, we are expecting all soundcard manufacturers to develop drivers to work with MS "Vista". To apply your friends' logic, Microsoft should develop drivers to deal with the plethora of hardware gear. Trying telling that to Mr. Gates!

Below is an excerpt from an email I sent Tascam. Note that they developed the drivers - not Cakewalk.
I understand that the issues have arisen because of “changes in the Sonar architecture”. I am perplexed however by your comment that I should direct my concerns to Cakewalk.

The FW-1884 is a “Control Surface” so by definition it is designed to control software products. Your marketing materials state this and your website includes the description; “As a DAW controller, the FW-1884 is compatible with a wide variety of popular applications including MOTU Digital Performer, Emagic Logic, Steinberg Cubase SX, Steinberg Nuendo, and Cakewalk Sonar.” Software versions are always evolving and your literature does not qualify what version of software it is compatible with. A “control surface” is not much good if it can’t control the software it was designed to control.

In addition, Tascam provided; “Application specific drivers” available for download from your website. These drivers include those to interface with Sonar. The “Control Surface Note for Sonar”, also available on your website appears to be a document published by Tascam – not Cakewalk.

I, along with many other FW-1884 users, purchased your product because of the features that specifically included compatibility with Sonar. I think I speak for the majority of DAW users in stating that the DAW software is always the primary decision and the hardware to control it is secondary.

It appears that Tascam are continuing to actively market the FW-1884 and therefore have an obligation to current and future owners that your product stays compatible with the current versions of the software you claim in your marketing materials. If Tascam cannot commit to this then I will be looking elsewhere for my next control surface purchase.
post edited by Jay Stephen - 2007/05/22 14:25:13

XP SP1 Home (tweaked)
P4 2.8 HT on P4C800-E
Matrox G450 Dual
10G SCSI O/S
80G SATA Audio
500G SATA Backup
M-Audio Delta 44 -WDM
Pioneer A107D DVD-RW
ChronoT52
RE: 6.2 Update and the FW-1884 2007/05/22 14:21:55 (permalink)
It's a damn shame that it's the customer that gets stuck in the middle of things like this.
GuyPicks
RE: 6.2 Update and the FW-1884 2007/05/22 15:47:11 (permalink)
Good point Jay.

Sonar X3d
Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 
2x 24" Dell Dual Display
Windows 7 Ultimate (x64) 
12GB Ram
4x HDs 
Edirol PCR-800
D K
RE: 6.2 Update and the FW-1884 2007/05/22 16:17:28 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Jay Stephen

I can't claim many lawyers as friends but could side with their position, IF, Tascam's marketing and application notes & drivers were not so specific. I believe there is sufficient claims made by Tascam to suggest that resolving the problem is primarily their responsibility. I think your lawyer friends may be using the philosophy of an OS and PC as a base of comparison. For instance, my laptop clearly states what version of the "Windows" it will run. On the other hand, we are expecting all soundcard manufacturers to develop drivers to work with MS "Vista". To apply your friends' logic, Microsoft should develop drivers to deal with the plethora of hardware gear. Trying telling that to Mr. Gates!

Below is an excerpt from an email I sent Tascam. Note that they developed the drivers - not Cakewalk.
I understand that the issues have arisen because of “changes in the Sonar architecture”. I am perplexed however by your comment that I should direct my concerns to Cakewalk.

The FW-1884 is a “Control Surface” so by definition it is designed to control software products. Your marketing materials state this and your website includes the description; “As a DAW controller, the FW-1884 is compatible with a wide variety of popular applications including MOTU Digital Performer, Emagic Logic, Steinberg Cubase SX, Steinberg Nuendo, and Cakewalk Sonar.” Software versions are always evolving and your literature does not qualify what version of software it is compatible with. A “control surface” is not much good if it can’t control the software it was designed to control.

In addition, Tascam provided; “Application specific drivers” available for download from your website. These drivers include those to interface with Sonar. The “Control Surface Note for Sonar”, also available on your website appears to be a document published by Tascam – not Cakewalk.

I, along with many other FW-1884 users, purchased your product because of the features that specifically included compatibility with Sonar. I think I speak for the majority of DAW users in stating that the DAW software is always the primary decision and the hardware to control it is secondary.

It appears that Tascam are continuing to actively market the FW-1884 and therefore have an obligation to current and future owners that your product stays compatible with the current versions of the software you claim in your marketing materials. If Tascam cannot commit to this then I will be looking elsewhere for my next control surface purchase.

Jay

While I hear what you are saying - It also seems that you are saying that Tascam should be aware of any changes made to any DAW software program and then be able to write drivers for it. I think the point these people were making was that what they published DID indeed work - UNTIL the function was changed by Cake. I may be wrong here but i would make an analogy like this:

I buy a new car that has 19 inch wheels - When I go to replace those wheels there are no 19 inch rims manufactured anymore. Do i go back to the car manufacturer and complain that no one makes 19 inch rims and the need to fix this? Or do I go to the Rim manuafacturer and ask for a 19 inch rim? When the car was made 19 inch rims were plentiful and working - Now the rim manufacturer has decided that 20 inch rims are better - no more 19's.

You can guess what the car manufacturer is going to say. the rim manufacturer would probably tell me to move "up" to 20 inch rims - at my expense

Might not be the best analogy but the point is that it was working perfectly -now it is not -and Tascam has nothing to do with that part of the equation - Why would they be in any hurry to fix it? - There are plenty of people using surface that do not use or care about Sonar.

Anyway - Just discussion points - I'm past my anger on this - i dont want to bring a negative vibe here - I am committed to helping anywhere I can - But as much as I love and am commited to Cake( I would get another interface before changing DAWS) - I think they are the lead dog here and they must take control of the reigns to get this done.

www.ateliersound.com

ADK Custom  I7-2600 K

GuyPicks
RE: 6.2 Update and the FW-1884 2007/05/22 19:51:28 (permalink)
Jay, I fully understand and I'm one of thoes guys that's suffering from Tascam.
It's very frustrating to me because I've only had this FW-1884 for a little over a year and now
it's not fully functional as it was with Sonar 5.
What a shame.

Sonar X3d
Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 
2x 24" Dell Dual Display
Windows 7 Ultimate (x64) 
12GB Ram
4x HDs 
Edirol PCR-800
dcasey
Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 141
RE: 6.2 Update and the FW-1884 2007/05/24 02:41:36 (permalink)
Just to keep things stirred up, I too sent an email to Tascam regarding the update for the FW1884 and Sonar 6.2, and was assured that “this issue is being worked on by all parties involved,” and “once a resolution has been reached it will be posted on the FW-1884 web page.” Yea, right.

When I went to the FW1884 web page to see if by chance something happened, I noticed the link titled “Vista Support.” When I see how much work they (Tascam, Frontier Design, whoever) have ahead of them, the further away an update for us poor idiots that shelled out $1300 or so for a device that doesn’t work properly with our recording software.

I feel I made an impassioned plea to Tascam; being a GigaStudio 3 Orchastra, GVI, and FW1884 user, but I really don’t think my pleading or begging made a dent in their development priorities.

In ChronoT52’s response from Tascam there is some interesting language that supports the premise that Tascam is simply dragging their feet. The operative words with regard to the update provided by Frontier are “preliminary” and “incomplete”

It appears to me that Cakewalk and Frontier are motivated; Frontier had a working DLL in February - it shouldn’t take 3 months to wrap up testing and complete a simple installer. What’s up? Either the DLL had bugs (as if Tascam actually tested it with Sonar 6.2) or either Tascam or Frontier doesn’t want to work on an installer. My guess is that Tascam is the culprit.

DAW: i7920, 9GB, Win7 x64 / Presonus Firestudio Project (2), Firestudio Tube, Monitor Station, Faderport, Sceptre S8's/ Frontier Design Tranzport / M-Audio Midisport 4x4 / Roland GR-55, GI-20, VG-8 / Novation 25 SL MKII / Alesis 720 DSP / Sonar X3 PE / Vienna Ensemble Pro / Voxengo / iZotope / NI / IK / eieio

VSTi Server 1: AMD FX-8350, 16GB, Win7 x64 / Komplete / Vienna Ensemble Pro

VSTi Server 2: AMD A6-3670K, 16GB, Win 7 x64 / Echo Gina24 / Vienna Ensemble Pro 

www.soundcloud.com/dannycasey 
seclusion
Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 111
RE: 6.2 Update and the FW-1884 2007/05/24 08:04:53 (permalink)
Hey guys, I'm too an Fw 1884, GS3 and might be a GVI user if/when we get a MAc version.
Let me just say that the slllooowww driver/bug updates are not new to Tascam.
I purchased 2 TMD 4000 digi consoles years ago...
Let me just set the time frame right so you get my frustration!
First I'm running my Mackie 24/8 console, works great with my Adats, sound is kinda ok, but I have to say it always worked for me. Buuuttt I was renting out my system to an engineer buddy. Instead of spending sooo much time repatching everything I was on the quest for a digi console, for automation and recall! Looked at this, looked at that, for me the Tascam 4000 was the beast for me. So, From when I first saw an advertisement to purchasing the boards (2 of them cascaded) to using them, within 4 months the forums at Tascam were flooded with problems, sync, automation, firmware updates going really bad on and on. This was right when XP Pro was just rolling out as well. Well after less then 6 months support for the TMD 4000 was stopped )apparently the chips onboard were already maxed to their full potential). After months of complaining from many users Tascam shut down their forums because of the bad press they got their.
So after a few years of sticking it out, one of my consoles needed to be repaired 5 times. I traded both of them in. Looked around, checked out different models and the only one that really covered all the bases that I wanted again was the Tascam FW 1884. So instead of fighting it, I decided that spending $1200 could be consided a throw away unit in 5-6 years! That's how I've treated this unit. For the $$ I've spent on it it has worked great, barring the lacking functionality in Sonar 6. The fact that Tascam is saying they'll make Vista drivers is amazing for a 3-4 year old product! That is not their traditional business tactic. So all I can say is not really get upset about this, emailing, calling is good. But don't be suprised if things don't come through... For me I'm moving to the Mac platform and using Logic Pro... Nothing against Sonar, I've used Logic forever and other then my G4 can't handle what I want, The 1884 and Logic combo works really well!
Later

Mac Pro 2.66, 5 gigs ram, FW1884, Waves, Logic Pro 7.2.3. Thinking of running Xp Pro and Sonar but I should quit while I'm ahead and just make some tunes :)
Jay Stephen
RE: 6.2 Update and the FW-1884 2007/05/24 08:23:35 (permalink)
This tiny bit of encouragement was posted today on the "tascamforums"

"Frontier Design Group wrote:

Hello

well it is true that anything we do for the FW1884 has to come through
the folks at TASCAM as it is their product. However there is good news
to be had. They have asked for, and we are working on, Vista drivers for
all forms of that product family. So hopefully you won't have long to
wait. We did recently pass along a plug-in update for Sonar 6 users that
should appear soon as well."

XP SP1 Home (tweaked)
P4 2.8 HT on P4C800-E
Matrox G450 Dual
10G SCSI O/S
80G SATA Audio
500G SATA Backup
M-Audio Delta 44 -WDM
Pioneer A107D DVD-RW
GuyPicks
RE: 6.2 Update and the FW-1884 2007/05/24 20:17:38 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Jay Stephen

This tiny bit of encouragement was posted today on the "tascamforums"

"Frontier Design Group wrote:

Hello

well it is true that anything we do for the FW1884 has to come through
the folks at TASCAM as it is their product. However there is good news
to be had. They have asked for, and we are working on, Vista drivers for
all forms of that product family. So hopefully you won't have long to
wait. We did recently pass along a plug-in update for Sonar 6 users that
should appear soon as well."

Good news and I'm still hanging on.
I'm still able to work but not near like I was with Sonar 5.

Sonar X3d
Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 
2x 24" Dell Dual Display
Windows 7 Ultimate (x64) 
12GB Ram
4x HDs 
Edirol PCR-800
Mididreamer
  • Total Posts : 422
RE: 6.2 Update and the FW-1884 2007/05/26 00:46:37 (permalink)
How long is this PDF on the Tascam website present?

announcement

My music: https://soundcloud.com/midimine
Sonar, Reason, Live, Project5, Fruityloops, Cubase / maschine 2/ Komplete /Intel i7 3770/ Asus Maximus V /Oxygen 8 V2/ Oxygen 61/ Novation Zero SL /Windows 10 / 64 

Komplete Audio 6
riojazz
RE: 6.2 Update and the FW-1884 2007/05/26 03:42:42 (permalink)
I noticed it today for the first time. I check the Tascam website every day hoping to find an updated driver for the FW-1884 so I can upgrade SONAR to version 6. The site has never changed except for this.

Software: Cakewalk by Bandlab; Adobe Audition; Band-in-A-Box audiophile; Izotope Ozone; Encore; Melodyne; Win 10 Pro, 64-bit.

Hardware: Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 2nd; Roland Integra-7; TCE Finalizer; Presonus Central Station, Behringer X-Touch.  Home built i7 with 16 GB RAM, SSDs.
Jay Stephen
RE: 6.2 Update and the FW-1884 2007/05/28 08:07:28 (permalink)
Nice to see Tascam attempting to keep their customers updated for a change. Maybe Tascam has taken some of our comments about their lack of feedback to heart.

XP SP1 Home (tweaked)
P4 2.8 HT on P4C800-E
Matrox G450 Dual
10G SCSI O/S
80G SATA Audio
500G SATA Backup
M-Audio Delta 44 -WDM
Pioneer A107D DVD-RW
The Monster
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2
RE: 6.2 Update and the FW-1884 2007/05/31 11:05:49 (permalink)
Here are some interesting correspondences I’ve had with Tascam.

Dear Gentlemen or Ladies,

With all due respect, this letter comes after $20,000 of project studio
recording gear purchase and the mistake of the 1884.

The FW1884 is a work of art, created by Frontier Design, and ruined in
name by Tascam.

What exactly is your problem responding to the people that have laid down
hard earned money, just to be completely ignored, frustrated, demeaned by
tech support, and expected to wait indefinitely for new drivers for Sonar
Producer 6 that would resolve all of our problems.

It is very well documented on the web that Frontier Design has months ago
released the drivers to you, of which they reengineered out of the
goodness of their hearts, and you treat your consumers as if you owe us
nothing. Let me be the first to inform you all! Many other industries
have to make recalls and updates to the products and they do it with
expedience. Especially when the answer is in hand! Don't you get it!
People are talking all over the web about dumping your products or
informing people not to go with the 1884?!

Your turning a blind eye and a deaf ear is only going to last so long
before your company semblance will go down the tubes with the likes of the
Edsel!

After a dozen or more calls to your tech support, I feel it's time to get
to the bone with anyone that might have ears or brains. But that in
itself might be to presumptuous of me. Even your canned answering message
for tech support wreaks of a person that hates his job and the people he
might serve.

It's all about customer service and support right?! So... what happened
to you?!

If my letter has offended you, that's OK. Your tech support guise have
offended me and many others that made the mistake of thinking they would
like to help. The ONLY... and I mean the ONLY tech support person that
was kind, considerate, knowledgeable and friendly was a gentlemen named
Tracy. But , now that I have mentioned that, you will probably fire him in
keeping with your excellent customer service practices.

Sincerely,

Sean A. Cummins

----- Original Message -----

CustSer

To:
seanacummins@gmail.com

Sent: Thursday, May 17, 2007 6:13 PM

Subject: Re: FW1884 and Sonar 6

Sean,

Please be aware of 2 things.

1) The information you have may not be entirely complete.
2) This solution involves the work of 3 different entities.

Yes, we have received a preliminary update candidate from Frontier. However the operative word here is preliminary. It would be easy for us to upload an
incomplete update but i'm sure you would agree that this would not be in anyone's best interest.

TASCAM is doing what we can on our end and once a completed working installer is approved we will gladly post it on the FW-1884 page of our website.
Thank you for your interest in TASCAM products.

----- Original Message -----

Sean A. Cummins

To:
CustSer

Sent: Friday, May 18, 2007 2:06 AM

Subject: Re: FW1884 and Sonar 6

block quote
Dear Who Ever You Are,

First off, I find it to be slightly offensive, but typical of Tascam customer service, that you didn't ever identify yourself in your response!? Secondly,
let me introduce myself to you.

I am Sean A. Cummins a computer consultant for the state of Arizona. My company serves state, corporate and small businesses here in the southwest. I
am also a veteran recording engineer of 30 years and have produced several artist that have gone on to successful music careers. I state this only for
your information that I am not ignorant to the process for technology.

I have been a beta tester for over 25 application software, Novell Client server, and Microsoft OS as well.

As of lately I have been working with Dancing Dots, the developers of blind access for Sonar, beta testing several versions of their products. I have had
much contact with many administrative persons in Frontier Design, Twelve Tones Systems, and representatives for Digidesign.

Why, you might ask, does he go on like this, it is to establish that your response to the needs of your FW1884 clientele is nothing more then unacceptable.
Whether it is to much overhead in Tascam administrative bureaucracy or just plane bad corporate structure, no one should be waiting this long for you to
make a final determination on the stability of a driver. Come-on! We're not talking rocket science here. Frontier Design with a company of only 8, and
with no other motivation then to help their users, was able to meet the challenge in a very reasonable time frame as compared to your delays.

If you need help beta testing, give me a call! I'd love to help move this quagmire along.

And just so you don't think me to be a complete antagonist, I have recommended the use of the FW1884 in three recent technical evaluations for the state
of Arizona. I am gambling on that there will be a release of the driver, before I am questioned why I would recommend an "incompatible device?".
Sincerely,

Sean A. Cummins
InVision Technical

D K
RE: 6.2 Update and the FW-1884 2007/05/31 15:07:34 (permalink)
Sean - Now that's what I call "bringin the heat"

I applaud you for it - Tascam is known industry wide for it's deplorable customer service (as is MOTU from what I am told?- by people who should know.)

Anyway as you can see from my statements above - I still think Cake is the lead dog here and their push (along with ours) at Tascam will be the only way to get it done any quicker

I admire your tenacity and candor - I would'nt count on anyhthing changing though

www.ateliersound.com

ADK Custom  I7-2600 K

GuyPicks
RE: 6.2 Update and the FW-1884 2007/05/31 17:19:07 (permalink)
well. thanks for going to bat for us.
hope it helps?

Sonar X3d
Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 
2x 24" Dell Dual Display
Windows 7 Ultimate (x64) 
12GB Ram
4x HDs 
Edirol PCR-800
SkyKing
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 19
RE: 6.2 Update and the FW-1884 2007/05/31 17:19:53 (permalink)
The fact is both Cakewalk and Tascam share the update responsibility. Tascam developed (with Frontier) the 1884 to be a DAW controller knowing full well that DAW applications are upgraded regularly. Cakewalk should have a dialogue with all control surface manufacturers to keep them in tune with the features that are being added and what programming components are affected. This should be done during the beta test phase so that the update process is coordinated. Since the 1884 is primarily software driven, this should be much easier to accomplish than if hardware components were involved.

Hopefully Tascam is not planning to drop the 1884 like they have dropped other products (i.e. SX-1, MX-2424, FE-8) almost without notice which also drops the update development cycle.

Speaking for myself only, I would be willing to pay a reasonable fee to get major updates if that would improve the update release process. This is no different than paying for upgrades from Cakewalk or any other software company where it is an expected cost for staying current. Notice I said major upgrades, not maintenance updates. These updates can take significant development time, and if there is no chance to recoup some of those costs then the process gets put on the back burner. 6.2 appears to be significant enough of an upgrade to qualify. I installed it and backed off to 5.2 for now. If they are willing to provide updates for free in order to extend the product sales duration and to keep current owners happy, I wouldn't argue with that either. So far, that doesn't seem to be working too well.

Are we going to have the same issues when Sonar 7 hits the streets? Hmm. I have a feeling 7 will be out before the 6.2 upgrade.

Tascam's lack of support aside, I would encourage some of you to be a bit more civil when sending emails or calling tech support. There appears to be a lot of very nasty stuff being sent out which does nothing to motivate them to respond. In fact, it probably has the opposite effect. Just a suggestion.

SkyKing

GuyPicks
RE: 6.2 Update and the FW-1884 2007/05/31 17:38:49 (permalink)
I agree with you SkyKing.
I would be willing to pay for the Tascam update but I don't think that even matters at this point.
They've always had problems in every area for as long as I can remember. I've been using their stuff for 19 years.
Don't know if they'er under staffed or what but I do hope they come up with some kind of solution.
I have alot invested here.
I think the reason why people send uncivil e-mail is just out of frustration.
Showing love is the answer but it doesn't always work.

Sonar X3d
Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 
2x 24" Dell Dual Display
Windows 7 Ultimate (x64) 
12GB Ram
4x HDs 
Edirol PCR-800
manthe
  • Total Posts : 401
RE: 6.2 Update and the FW-1884 2007/05/31 18:26:59 (permalink)
Fundamentally, I disagree with your philosophy here. Driver and/or firmware updates to and for a piece of hardware that is still in production, still on the market and still being hawked and sold by a company should be and most traditionally are free. This is a unit that they would still like to sell to new customers. This is a device that Tascam *wants* to be compatible with contemporary DAW platforms, because they still consider it a contemporary device. It is still the FW-1884, not the FW-1884 v2. If Tascam put out an updated hardware device, of course I would pay for it.

In the same way that Cakewalk makes major and minor improvements and bug fixes to each, respective release family of its SONAR product (which are free to people who purchased that version or upgraded to that version), Tascam makes major and minor fixes and improvements to the software that controls its respective hardware version...in this case the FW-1884.

Now, if Tascam were dropping support or going 'end-of-life' on this unit, then of course I would not expect updates, fixes, etc. In fact, I would be willing to pay for them. But, as long as they continue to sell this device in the current market, it is completely incumbent upon them to keep up with market to which it caters...otherwise drop support for the device and move on.

ORIGINAL: SkyKing

The fact is both Cakewalk and Tascam share the update responsibility. Tascam developed (with Frontier) the 1884 to be a DAW controller knowing full well that DAW applications are upgraded regularly. Cakewalk should have a dialogue with all control surface manufacturers to keep them in tune with the features that are being added and what programming components are affected. This should be done during the beta test phase so that the update process is coordinated. Since the 1884 is primarily software driven, this should be much easier to accomplish than if hardware components were involved.

Hopefully Tascam is not planning to drop the 1884 like they have dropped other products (i.e. SX-1, MX-2424, FE-8) almost without notice which also drops the update development cycle.

Speaking for myself only, I would be willing to pay a reasonable fee to get major updates if that would improve the update release process. This is no different than paying for upgrades from Cakewalk or any other software company where it is an expected cost for staying current. Notice I said major upgrades, not maintenance updates. These updates can take significant development time, and if there is no chance to recoup some of those costs then the process gets put on the back burner. 6.2 appears to be significant enough of an upgrade to qualify. I installed it and backed off to 5.2 for now. If they are willing to provide updates for free in order to extend the product sales duration and to keep current owners happy, I wouldn't argue with that either. So far, that doesn't seem to be working too well.

Are we going to have the same issues when Sonar 7 hits the streets? Hmm. I have a feeling 7 will be out before the 6.2 upgrade.

Tascam's lack of support aside, I would encourage some of you to be a bit more civil when sending emails or calling tech support. There appears to be a lot of very nasty stuff being sent out which does nothing to motivate them to respond. In fact, it probably has the opposite effect. Just a suggestion.

SkyKing

-manthe

Moonface Studio | Records | Publishing

http://www.moonfacerecords.com

Equipment List - http://moonfacerecords.com/Moonface/Studio_Gear.html
riojazz
RE: 6.2 Update and the FW-1884 2007/05/31 20:25:57 (permalink)
Frustration levels are indeed high. I do hope we can use the model by Jay Stephen's earlier post for a letter to Tascam that is civil in tone and uses the English language correctly. Tascam may be more motivated to respond positively to such a letter than to the most recent example given here.

Jay Stephen
RE: 6.2 Update and the FW-1884 2007/06/01 15:25:27 (permalink)
Call me stubborn, overly optimistic or just crazy but I am still hopeful! I sent this letter off to Teac today. You may want to send something similar. If I were the Prez of any consumer goods company I'd want to know that I had many disgruntled customers on one of my flagship products.
So FWIW:

June 1, 2007
Mr. Yuji Hanabusa, President
TEAC CORPORATION
3-7-3 Naka-cho, Musashino-shi,
Tokyo 180-8550, Japan

Dear Mr. Hanabusa;
Re: Tascam FW-1884

I have been very pleased with my purchase of the Tascam FW-1884 and impressed that two respected firms such as Teac and Frontier Design would collaborate to produce such an excellent product.

I was persuaded to purchase an FW-1884 as a control surface for use with Cakewalk Sonar. I believe the popularity of the FW-1884 has been largely due to its ability to integrate with Cakewalk Sonar and it has been the clear choice for many Sonar users.

Last Fall, Cakewalk released version 6.0 of Sonar and made changes to their architecture. Unfortunately this significantly reduced the integration functions of the FW-1884. Software manufacturers are constantly making improvements to their code and as is the industry norm, hardware manufacturers follow with the release of updated drivers, etc. In addition, since Tascam produced the original drivers to control Cakewalk Sonar, FW-1884 users expect that Tascam would release updated drivers.

Sadly this has not been the case. Mr. Hanabusa, I am writing to you to request your assistance in this matter but to also express my concerns that your Tascam division has received significant and largely justified criticism over their handling of customer concerns.

On various forums and as recorded by numerous phone calls and emails to Tascam technical support there seems to be a serious lack of concern and urgency in addressing this issue. We understand through contact with the FW-1884 “community” of users that concerns were addressed to Tascam, Cakewalk and Frontier Design last Fall. Both Cakewalk and Frontier Design have responded promptly and expressed their willingness to work together with Tascam to resolve issues. In contrast Tascam has been slow to respond, initially saying they had no responsibility to resolve the problem and generally displaying a poor customer service attitude.
Several months ago we learned that Frontier Design had written new drivers and provided them to Tascam. This information was provided to us by Frontier Design – not Tascam. It appears that Tascam has been slow to test the revised drivers and slow to provide its customers feedback on the status of the release. All the while, FW-1884 users are limited in functionality, frustrated and questioning the wisdom of purchasing Tascam products in the future. I doubt that is your desire.
FW-1884 users have been extremely patient and loyal to your product. Please exercise your influence as chief executive over Tascam to apply the appropriate resources to bring this issue to a positive conclusion.

Thank you.

Yours truly,

XP SP1 Home (tweaked)
P4 2.8 HT on P4C800-E
Matrox G450 Dual
10G SCSI O/S
80G SATA Audio
500G SATA Backup
M-Audio Delta 44 -WDM
Pioneer A107D DVD-RW
F@KKER
  • Total Posts : 440
RE: 6.2 Update and the FW-1884 2007/06/03 21:05:51 (permalink)
Jay Stephen for President ...

F@KKER
Page: << < ..678910.. > >> Showing page 6 of 12
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1