Helpful ReplyBig announcement: #SONAR4Life, #SONAR4Mac, #SONAR4You

Page: << < ..1112131415.. > >> Showing page 14 of 24
Author
Cubarecords2014
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 16
Re: Big announcement: #SONAR4 Life, #SONAR4Mac, #SONAR4You 2016/06/10 20:17:48 (permalink)
Thank you for bring to me some hope,

Well if I have been 6 years Cakewalk customer is because the company have been great to me. Maybe I just pass for a difficult time and the only way that I got to communication is thru the forum.

Best regards,

Intel(R) i7-6700K CPU 4.00GHz 32.0 GB Windows 7, 5x SSD dr and 2x 1Tb dr library  Sonar Platinum, Ableton live suite, Maschine MK2,Komplete Ultimate 11,Omnisphere, Arturia Collection Wave Studio Collection, Gold, CLA Compressor,Sylenth1, Serum.
Anderton
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 14070
Re: Big announcement: #SONAR4 Life, #SONAR4Mac, #SONAR4You 2016/06/10 20:24:32 (permalink)
jeff oliver
Cubarecords2014
Hello guys,

Very sad for me after 6 years  with Cakewalk I had purchased the  Lifetime Updates for $ 229  and 3 day later they sent to me an email offer of $136 so I contact customer support to try to get back $93 from my credit card and no anwser after 3 day. I really feel very bad about it.

Thanks

I had been seeing others report CW customer support was very slow or not responding. I believe you'll get your money back although it may be awhile except a rep see your post. Good luck to you.

I get the impression the reaction to the lifetime updates has overwhelmed Cakewalk temporarily. Their desire to do right by their customers hasn't changed, but I think there will be delays...the lifetime Platinum offer is only 10 days old at this point. It will probably quiet down a bit as time goes on.

The first 3 books in "The Musician's Guide to Home Recording" series are available from Hal Leonard and http://www.reverb.com. Listen to my music on http://www.YouTube.com/thecraiganderton, and visit http://www.craiganderton.com. Thanks!
Elffin
Max Output Level: -67 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1196
Re: Big announcement: #SONAR4Life, #SONAR4Mac, #SONAR4You 2016/06/12 04:06:27 (permalink)
Only question that I have in regards to Splatlifetime. Is melodyne an add on? Since its made by a third party it could be considered non core.. but its features are quite integrated into the core program. Can anyone clarify this?

Website | SoundCloud
DAW: SONAR Platinum  Audio I/OMOTU Ultralite mk3
Memory: 16gb Video: AMD 5700 HD
Storage: 1 x WD Caviar blue 500mb, 2 x 2TB Seagate Barricudas
lludwick
Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 74
Re: Big announcement: #SONAR4Life, #SONAR4Mac, #SONAR4You 2016/06/12 08:47:25 (permalink)
Elffin
Only question that I have in regards to Splatlifetime. Is melodyne an add on? Since its made by a third party it could be considered non core.. but its features are quite integrated into the core program. Can anyone clarify this?

Melodyne is not really part of the core of Sonar in the sense that there is very little that had to be done to make it work as a region effect. The reason it seems so integrated is because of ARA which is Audio Random Access. This is an extension to the VST format that allows access to the Audio almost instantly. Because of this other DAWs have also received the same integration boost as Sonar with Melodyne.

That said Cakewalk seems to have a relationship which includes a basic form of the Melodyne product which I am sure gives Celemony a share in the sales of Sonar. This was a smart move because other DAWs have been delivering forms of pitch correction, but nothing as impressive as the features of Melodyne.

Larry Ludwick

My Music on Soundclick:
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=823722

Mr. torture
Max Output Level: -82 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 439
Re: Big announcement: #SONAR4 Life, #SONAR4Mac, #SONAR4You 2016/06/13 10:35:33 (permalink)
Cubarecords2014
Hello guys,

Very sad for me after 6 years  with Cakewalk I had purchased the  Lifetime Updates for $ 229  and 3 day later they sent to me an email offer of $136 so I contact customer support to try to get back $93 from my credit card and no anwser after 3 day. I really feel very bad about it.

Thanks

I never received an email offer of $136 for lifetime updates? Is that for Platinum?
Brian Walton
Max Output Level: -79 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 584
Re: Big announcement: #SONAR4Life, #SONAR4Mac, #SONAR4You 2016/06/13 20:12:16 (permalink)
Elffin

Well it comes with it now but as far as update for life (i.e. core vs non-core), I think it is reasonable to assume that there is not guarantee that 15 years from now when Celemony makes another update that the Essential version may or may not get the "free upgrade."  It is 100% a separate company, simple as that.  

MacFurse
Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 324
Re: Big announcement: #SONAR4 Life, #SONAR4Mac, #SONAR4You 2016/06/14 04:13:30 (permalink)
Gee. I take a month's holiday riding my bike around this great country, and come back to some big changes and this awesome thread  Well, I would have already signed up for my extra $99, but I needed more beer money while I've been away, so I thank Cakewalk for the courtesy of a couple months to cough up my moolah.

Seriously, a big thanks, because I not only see this as a great offer and investment, but because there has been some good will gone into this as well. Sure, I understand the business case, but I win too. And when the announcement for Mac hit, well, it all made sense, but that's OK too. More future, more development, better product. Can't really argue with that. Not too many DAWS really moving ahead in my view. Well done Cake. I'm in, just in a couple more pays

Platinum. i7 4771 3.5ghz. ECU H87 mobo with 3 monitor support. 16gb Ripjaws 1600mhz. Focusrite 18i20. 2 x 250gb Samsung EVO SSD's OP/Programs. 2x1TB Seagate Baracuda sata3 data drives. 200gb sata2 bootable drive for online and downloading only. Seagate 2tb USB 3.0 backup drive.  2x27in monitors. Rode K2 valve mic. Sontronics STC-1 pair. Studio Projects B1 condenser. SM58B. SM57B. Presonus Eureka Preamp.
Anderton
Re: Big announcement: #SONAR4Life, #SONAR4Mac, #SONAR4You 2016/06/14 10:24:02 (permalink)
Brian Walton
Elffin

Well it comes with it now but as far as update for life (i.e. core vs non-core), I think it is reasonable to assume that there is not guarantee that 15 years from now when Celemony makes another update that the Essential version may or may not get the "free upgrade."  It is 100% a separate company, simple as that.  

While I don't think anyone knows the answer for sure, from a business standpoint it could make good sense for Celemony to continue to offer upgrades. Although Essentials is powerful, it's also the best advertisement possible to convince people to upgrade to a higher version - after seeing what Melodyne does with monophonic audio, the possibilities of processing polyphonic audio look pretty alluring.

I would not have upgraded to Studio if I hadn't played with Essentials, but am very glad I did. I suspect I'm not an isolated case.

The first 3 books in "The Musician's Guide to Home Recording" series are available from Hal Leonard and http://www.reverb.com. Listen to my music on http://www.YouTube.com/thecraiganderton, and visit http://www.craiganderton.com. Thanks!
Brian Walton
Max Output Level: -79 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 584
Re: Big announcement: #SONAR4Life, #SONAR4Mac, #SONAR4You 2016/06/14 10:51:15 (permalink)
Anderton
Brian Walton
Elffin

While I don't think anyone knows the answer for sure, from a business standpoint it could make good sense for Celemony to continue to offer upgrades. Although Essentials is powerful, it's also the best advertisement possible to convince people to upgrade to a higher version - after seeing what Melodyne does with monophonic audio, the possibilities of processing polyphonic audio look pretty alluring.

I would not have upgraded to Studio if I hadn't played with Essentials, but am very glad I did. I suspect I'm not an isolated case.

Because they included it in X3 and had the upgrade to Editor for $150, I jumped on it.  When they offered the upgrade from Editor 2 to Studio 4 for about the same, I also did that because of the integration with Sonar and the tempo mapping.  

So they got about $300 from me in 2 years, and I wouldn't have given them a Dime if it wasn't for the initial inclusion in Sonar.  

I actually haven't used it for pitch correction on a single project so far.  

Audio to Midi, Tempo Mapping + the Sound Editor tools will get some use though.
bapu
  • Total Posts : 86000
Re: Big announcement: #SONAR4Life, #SONAR4Mac, #SONAR4You 2016/06/14 11:27:54 (permalink)
Brian Walton

No need to brag.
subtlearts
Max Output Level: -53.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2200
Re: Big announcement: #SONAR4Life, #SONAR4Mac, #SONAR4You 2016/06/14 11:30:55 (permalink)
Brian Walton
Anderton 

Because they included it in X3 and had the upgrade to Editor for $150, I jumped on it.  When they offered the upgrade from Editor 2 to Studio 4 for about the same, I also did that because of the integration with Sonar and the tempo mapping.  

So they got about $300 from me in 2 years, and I wouldn't have given them a Dime if it wasn't for the initial inclusion in Sonar.  

Same here, except that I have in fact got some decent use out of it. Not much, mind you, that I couldn't have done with just Essential, but it's nice to have options...

tobias tinker 
music is easy: just start with complete silence, and take away the parts you don't like!
tobiastinker.com
aeosrecords.com
soundfascination.com
Sonar Platinum, a bunch of other stuff...
stevec
  • Total Posts : 11546
Re: Big announcement: #SONAR4Life, #SONAR4Mac, #SONAR4You 2016/06/14 14:05:42 (permalink)
subtlearts
Brian Walton
Anderton 

Same here, except that I have in fact got some decent use out of it. Not much, mind you, that I couldn't have done with just Essential, but it's nice to have options...

Ditto - I also did the upgrade to Editor followed by the upgrade to Studio.   But I've also used the snot out of it along the way.   

SteveC
https://soundcloud.com/steve-cocchi
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=39163

SONAR Platinum x64, Intel Q9300 (2.5Ghz), Asus P5N-D, Win7 x64 SP1, 8GB RAM, 1TB internal + ESATA + USB Backup HDDs, ATI Radeon HD5450 1GB RAM + dual ViewSonic VA2431wm Monitors;
Focusrite 18i6 (ASIO);
Komplete 9, Melodyne Studio 4, Ozone 7 Advanced, Rapture Pro, GPO5, Valhalla Plate, MJUC comp, MDynamic EQ, lots of other freebie VST plugins, synths and Kontakt libraries

markoburrows
  • Total Posts : 26
Re: Big announcement: #SONAR4 Life, #SONAR4Mac, #SONAR4You 2016/06/14 15:07:27 (permalink)
Hi,

I just read Mr Bourthwick's open letter to all of us. I wholeheartedly support Rolling updates and am very happy to subscribe to them. What makes me nervous as a user is the limited nature of the lifetime offer and the pricing behind it. I do want to see CW thrive and survive, but having recently upgraded to Platinum, I am disturbed to be asked to pay to upgrade again with only a couple of months of my existing "upgrade" fee utilised. I know its a one off offer, but we have a saying in the UK about "throwing good money after bad" and I would like to have some comment made on this by CW.
(I apologise if this has bean dealt with in pages 11 - 14 of this thread, but I was loosing the will to live with all of the people telling me its "gonna be alright"). Is it though?

Best Regards (and in the hope that CW CTO reads this thread)

marko burrows
bapu
  • Total Posts : 86000
Re: Big announcement: #SONAR4 Life, #SONAR4Mac, #SONAR4You 2016/06/14 15:26:56 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby backwoods 2016/06/14 19:32:00
Marko,

Not to be snarky but what kind of comment do you want from Noel?

That you actually ARE throwing good money after bad? Or that you are making an investment in yours and CWs future?

Which do you think he will actually make?

BTW, no one is forcing you to go with lifetime support. It's optional.

If you're afraid, don't do it.

Then in three years of (probably) paying renewal fees you'll probably kick yourself in the arse. But I will not laugh at you then. I promise.
michaelhanson
Max Output Level: -40 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3529
Re: Big announcement: #SONAR4 Life, #SONAR4Mac, #SONAR4You 2016/06/14 18:46:16 (permalink)
bapu

Not to be snarky ....

Man, I love their tuners.  

I agree, Ed, for those so very afraid of going with the Lifetime membership....just continue to pay monthly.  No, big deal.  

Mike

https://soundcloud.com/michaeljhanson
https://www.facebook.com/michaeljhanson.music
iTunes:
https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/scandalous-grace/id1180730765

Platinum Lifetime, Focusrite 8i6 & 2i4, Gibson LP, ES335, Fender Strat, 4003 Rickenbacker
BMI
coolbass
  • Total Posts : 78
Re: Big announcement: #SONAR4 Life, #SONAR4Mac, #SONAR4You 2016/06/14 21:09:13 (permalink)
markoburrows
Hi,

I am disturbed to be asked to pay to upgrade again with only a couple of months of my existing "upgrade" fee utilised

You don't have to upgrade , do you? It is only an offer!
stevec
  • Total Posts : 11546
Re: Big announcement: #SONAR4 Life, #SONAR4Mac, #SONAR4You 2016/06/14 21:11:42 (permalink)
Funny how this stuff works.   You know, from a "human nature" perspective. 

SteveC
https://soundcloud.com/steve-cocchi
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=39163

SONAR Platinum x64, Intel Q9300 (2.5Ghz), Asus P5N-D, Win7 x64 SP1, 8GB RAM, 1TB internal + ESATA + USB Backup HDDs, ATI Radeon HD5450 1GB RAM + dual ViewSonic VA2431wm Monitors;
Focusrite 18i6 (ASIO);
Komplete 9, Melodyne Studio 4, Ozone 7 Advanced, Rapture Pro, GPO5, Valhalla Plate, MJUC comp, MDynamic EQ, lots of other freebie VST plugins, synths and Kontakt libraries

lludwick
Re: Big announcement: #SONAR4 Life, #SONAR4Mac, #SONAR4You 2016/06/14 21:58:13 (permalink)
My feeling is I paid for updates that would cover me until the new year. Then I invested another $99 for lifetime updates. Given the cost of subscriptions, then all I need is to get updates until July of 2017 before I can say I made a very good deal. Cakewalk and Sonar don't feel like they have only a year to go ... at least not at this moment. If lifetime updates end along with Sonar's demise then it will be the same for those who don't take the offer. They lose at the same time. I'm willing to bet for the small additional investment that I will do better taking lifetime updates over the older subscription model.

Larry Ludwick

My Music on Soundclick:

markoburrows
Re: Big announcement: #SONAR4 Life, #SONAR4Mac, #SONAR4You 2016/06/15 04:09:44 (permalink)
So, I think there's a cultural thing here. I got this in my email this morning. Remember I am British, 1000 years of saying sorry when we step on people's toes, reserved, and overly aggressive when confronted. Maybe we see things differently from our American cousins.

To answer Bapu, I'm sorry Mate but you are being "Snarky". I'm looking for reassurance, the "good money after bad comment" was made to explain my anxiety. I don't know what your circumstances are, but I do know what mine are and I make decisions coloured by circumstances.

Let me put the same question as if I were an "American" (Which of course I am not so apologies in advance)

By telling us (the customer base) why CW have decided on the limited nature of the offer they may allay the anxiety of the customer base, who like me, are anxious about the offer and make even more money from their limited offer.

So, I am looking for further explanation.

Oh, and by the way, I do think you would laugh at me in three years time. I can't "kick myself in the Arse" because despite being British, my legs don't bend that way; And you have a CA address but you use "Arse" rather than "Ass". Do you have links with Britan.

Kind Regards

Marko

bapu
Marko,

Not to be snarky but what kind of comment do you want from Noel?

That you actually ARE throwing good money after bad? Or that you are making an investment in yours and CWs future?

Which do you think he will actually make?

BTW, no one is forcing you to go with lifetime support. It's optional.

If you're afraid, don't do it.

Then in three years of (probably) paying renewal fees you'll probably kick yourself in the arse. But I will not laugh at you then. I promise.

Lord Tim
Max Output Level: -74 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 837
Re: Big announcement: #SONAR4 Life, #SONAR4Mac, #SONAR4You 2016/06/15 04:32:21 (permalink)
Marko - from a different cultural perspective, as an Australian, you don't want to know what we call everyone else. Especially our mates. 

But I didn't take Bapu's comment to be particularly snarky, to be honest. I'm in the same boat as he is, wondering why this is a thing. Cakewalk has embraced a new model where you can pay year by year, like we've always done in the past, or month by month (and better yet, you own that 12 months worth of updates, unlike what other companies *cough*Adobe*ahem* do), and now for a couple of months, to say thanks to the user base for being loyal, they're giving us a chance for Platinum users to get lifetime updates.

I can't see how this is a bad thing. Artist and Professional users aren't getting this deal, Platinum users won't get it after the deal ends (unless they do specials again - who knows?), and you don't need to take advantage of it anyway if it makes you feel uneasy. Perhaps think of it as a "buy one get one free" or "MEGA SUPER SALE THIS FRIDAY ONLY!!!" kind of sale if you like. Get yourself a big TV for $200 tomorrow, it's back to $1000 the next day.

In this case, I think it's more of a push to reward a bit of brand loyalty, to be honest. If you feel you're part of "the team" you're going to be more into using the product, telling other people about it, and generally helping make it better with suggestions and bug reports.

And if you want to be really cynical about it, you've got a program you've paid for that lasts "forever" (whatever that means in the software world)... you're gonna want to keep using it, right? And since it's your DAW of choice, you'll be more inclined to buy additional stuff that works with it - Pro Channel modules, plugins locked to SONAR, etc. and you'd be involved in all of the PR material that shows new products, without the need for being spammed because you're part of the community, because you want to be a part of it. It's great marketing sense if nothing else.

I've been hanging around the Cakewalk community since the mid 90s, back when they were om Usenet newsgroups even. The one thing that has made me stick around more than anything else is the people in the company. They are genuinely good folks that just want to make a good product. They don't always get it right (you don't wanna know my list of gripes that I want fixed! It even scares me  ) but at no stage have I ever felt that we were getting led down the path for the sake of dollars, and that feels especially true in the last couple of years.

TL;DR version: relax. 

WWW: www.lord.net.au  FB: www.facebook.com/lordtimofficial
Bandlab: www.bandlab.com/lordtim

Cakewalk by Bandlab / DAW: i7 M620 @ 2.67 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Win10 64 Bit [eng], TASCAM US-16x08 @ 5.8ms (22.7ms RTL) ASIO, Behringer UMX61 Keyboard Controller.
markoburrows
Re: Big announcement: #SONAR4 Life, #SONAR4Mac, #SONAR4You 2016/06/15 06:13:22 (permalink)
Dear Lord Tim,

Sorry, I don't think I'll ever get used to these Aliases...

Thank you for a carefully thought out and measured response. It hadn't occurred to me that anyone would be offended by my question and to those I have inadvertently offended I apologise...unreservedly. Thank you, Lord Tim, for pointing out my error.

It is clear that my question to CW is being misunderstood by many. I am not criticising you, Bapu or anybody else for the buying decisions you have made. I am sure they are correct. I really appreciate you commenting on my question as you have taken the time to explain your buying decision and your admiration of the Cakewalk brand and the people who work there in order to allay my anxiety. You obviously think I don't share your opinion of the People at CW, in fact I do, and in the past it has been a great company, and I am sure it will be a great one in the future - even with the involvement of Gibson. A company that I have a poor opinion (but that is my own and I will keep it to myself). The people at CW have always been great, if not a little US centric (I regularly remind people in the US that the exchange rate between £ and $ is not 1:1) ☺

Mr Borthwick, the CTO of CW, sent me (and admittedly others) an open letter into our email inboxes. Despite my best efforts (Which are not always adequate), I could not find a response mechanism to ask for further clarification. So I put a response in this forum in the hope that a CW employee would bring it to his attention and he would respond to my query. Now it's nice of you to respond to me, and I am sure Bapu feels he is helping, but I was hoping to gain Me Borthwick's attention and garner a response.

You and Babu have decided that the lifetime updates are for you. That's great. But I would suggest that Mr Borthwick did not send that email to attract you to take advantage of CW's offer a second time (after all under the terms of the offer that would be impossible), I humbly suggest to you that the email was sent by CW to attract the late adopters into taking the offer. People like me...

So, I saw my question was an opportunity for CW to convince me to scrap 10 months of investment and drop them a bit more cash - early - just by telling me (and the rest of the customer base) why the offer was limited. They don't have to do so, and as Bapu so succinctly pointed out. I don't have to take up CW's offer. For me, rewarding the customer base is a little hard to accept because they are in business. In all models of business, you make an offer to a target group of potential buyers and they take it up in a contract - or they do not.

That is why I really liked your TV analogy. Indeed, in retail you often see offers where items are marked down as a loss leader to get customers into the store and they return to a higher price at a later date. But to be attractive to the customer base you need to appeal to people who want to by a TV - and if you are not in the market - you don't notice the offer. (you know another one will come around eventually). That is why your analogy is so great. It sums up the whole discussion. No one is trying to disparage CW. No-one is having a go at those who have taken the offer up. Its just some of us need a little more nudging to convince us we "need" the offer and we are inviting CW to expand the information they have offered.

But, (and I know it's bad grammar to start a sentence with But - however, I have little or no education and I am just trying to communicate), But - it seems that I have failed in my objective for clarification and have attracted Babu's ridicule and wasted your time by encouraging you to encourage me to purchase the offer. I apologise to you Sir, and I thank you again for taking your valuable time in an effort to help me.

I shall now retire from this thread - hurt, bloodied and humbled.

Kind regards

Marko
Entertaining the few since 1962
Remember "Reprehensible behaviour" s always Reprehensible and Perception IS reality.
cowboydan
Max Output Level: -72 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 908
Re: Big announcement: #SONAR4 Life, #SONAR4Mac, #SONAR4You 2016/06/15 07:27:44 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby markoburrows 2016/06/15 11:31:09
Beste Mark
Quote:  So, I saw my question was an opportunity for CW to convince me to scrap 10 months of investment and drop them a bit more cash - early - just by telling me (and the rest of the customer base) why the offer was limited. Quote:

My opinion is that you are seeing this wrong. In the first place you are not scrapping 10 months of payment. If you pay monthly you would have 2 payments left before you can keep Sonar as your own. 

Cakewalk is offering for a limited time a lifetime upgrade at a very low price. After the end of August the price will go back to normal and will convert to a yearly/monthly paying system.

You now have the chance to buy the lifetime upgrade and not make another payment any more. You would also not have to pay the last 2 payments in order to own Sonar. In my view , this would be the best option for you if you want to continue with Sonar.
As far as the e-mails go, Cakewalk has a database and sends the e-mails through their database. It is not that they are targeting you in any  way. This is the easy way to send e-mails as far as the company goes.

In the end it will be your decision as to whether you upgrade or not. I have upgraded because I am on a pension now so I wont have the money every month/year to upgrade. I had the money now and I upgraded.

I hope this will make some sense to you. If not , I tried.

God bless
Danny
Noel Borthwick [Cakewalk]
Cakewalk Staff
  • Total Posts : 6475
Re: Big announcement: #SONAR4 Life, #SONAR4Mac, #SONAR4You 2016/06/15 08:37:16 (permalink)
markoburrows
Mr Borthwick, the CTO of CW, sent me (and admittedly others) an open letter into our email inboxes. Despite my best efforts (Which are not always adequate), I could not find a response mechanism to ask for further clarification. So I put a response in this forum in the hope that a CW employee would bring it to his attention and he would respond to my query. Now it's nice of you to respond to me, and I am sure Bapu feels he is helping, but I was hoping to gain Me Borthwick's attention and garner a response.

So, I saw my question was an opportunity for CW to convince me to scrap 10 months of investment and drop them a bit more cash - early - just by telling me (and the rest of the customer base) why the offer was limited. They don't have to do so, and as Bapu so succinctly pointed out. I don't have to take up CW's offer. For me, rewarding the customer base is a little hard to accept because they are in business. In all models of business, you make an offer to a target group of potential buyers and they take it up in a contract - or they do not.

Hi Mark,

Thanks for your message. The purpose of my letter was not so much for marketing but to bring some clarity into the underlying reasons why we adopted rolling updates and lifetime updates. Any change brings many questions from people and its often difficult to address them all even though the FAQ at the top of this forum clarifies some of them. 

Anyway I'm puzzled why you consider us offering lifetime updates is equivalent to "convince me to scrap 10 months of investment and drop them a bit more cash". Are you paying monthly?

Keep in mind that the monthly payment option is solely there for two reasons:
- to have an affordable way to make non consecutive payments. i.e. for user who don't necessarily want to plunk down money to own the product
- to allow users who want to own the product a way to make incremental payments. i.e. like lease to own.

If you are in the above category then you implicitly do not own Platinum yet since you have not completed 12 consecutive months of payment. As such if you need lifetime membership you pay the standard price. 
On the other hand, users who purchased an annual membership upfront this year, get discounted pricing on a lifetime update.

We're offering lifetime updates for users who have committed to using SONAR for a long time. i.e. if you even use it two years you have covered the extra cost. If you plan on using SONAR for a year or more its an attractive option to go with lifetime updates since you never need to worry about keeping the software up to date. If on the other hand you prefer going month to month for any reason then you can keep doing so.

Not sure if I answered your question but hope this clarifies things a bit.

Noel Borthwick
Senior Manager Audio Core, BandLab
My Blog, Twitter, BandLab Profile
subtlearts
Max Output Level: -53.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2200
Re: Big announcement: #SONAR4 Life, #SONAR4Mac, #SONAR4You 2016/06/15 08:54:03 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby markoburrows 2016/06/15 11:30:22
I think (and I'm obviously not speaking for CW here, just observing) that the offer is limited for the usual reason offers are limited. If they're open-ended, there is less incentive to buy because you can always get the same deal later. Sales and special offers are an attempt to create artificial scarcity and trigger the impulse to buy based on the fact that this offer *might* not happen again, or soon, or exactly at the time we want it to. But it's here now, and if it seems like a good offer (it does to me), then now is the time to do it. If not, not - there will be other offers, other sales, other opportunities. I would personally be surprised if this is the last or only time CW makes the lifetime offer, if it works well for them they will probably repeat it (again: if not, then not). But making it open-ended would take the pressure off and thus be less effective. So it goes. 

tobias tinker 
music is easy: just start with complete silence, and take away the parts you don't like!
tobiastinker.com
aeosrecords.com
soundfascination.com
Sonar Platinum, a bunch of other stuff...
musicjohnnie
Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 227
Re: Big announcement: #SONAR4 Life, #SONAR4Mac, #SONAR4You 2016/06/15 09:14:27 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby markoburrows 2016/06/15 11:30:05
To all good day,
Just wanted to clarify that 'lifetime' is offered to me. I own pro. The price was 199. After pm to cake found that the price (which I am good until August) was inclusive of bumping me up to splat, then applying the lifetime price. So, 100 to upgrade to plat, then 99 to get lifetime. Still don't need plat, but would be nice to have lifetime on pro which is not available. Don't know why, since pro is carrying forward. But still a great deal. Hope this doesn't add confusion.
MJ
Lord Tim
Max Output Level: -74 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 837
Re: Big announcement: #SONAR4 Life, #SONAR4Mac, #SONAR4You 2016/06/15 09:30:02 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby markoburrows 2016/06/15 11:30:35
Hey Marko - cheers for the nice words, and don't worry about titles here. I answer to most swear words!  (Occasionally "Tim" for some odd reason? I don't know why either.)

Just wanted to clarify that there was no offence taken on my part and I certainly didn't mean any towards you either - sorry if it came across that way! You have to understand that there was a LOT of misunderstandings and, sadly, trolling that came after the big announcement, and a lot of that FUD was being trotted out and confusing legitimate owners looking to upgrade, so you're likely to get a few people who DO get how it works explaining things to people who haven't quite gotten what it's all about yet.

I think Noel summed it up perfectly so I won't say any more, but hopefully you find a path forward that works best for you. It's good to have options. 

WWW: www.lord.net.au  FB: www.facebook.com/lordtimofficial
Bandlab: www.bandlab.com/lordtim

Cakewalk by Bandlab / DAW: i7 M620 @ 2.67 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Win10 64 Bit [eng], TASCAM US-16x08 @ 5.8ms (22.7ms RTL) ASIO, Behringer UMX61 Keyboard Controller.
markoburrows
Re: Big announcement: #SONAR4 Life, #SONAR4Mac, #SONAR4You 2016/06/15 11:11:18 (permalink)
Dear Mr Borthwick,

Thank you so much for responding to my submission to your forum. I had decided to let this go, but Cowboydan (Still struggle with these aliases) sent such a nice comment I wanted to mark it as useful.

Both Cowboydan and yourself have convinced me that I am indeed an idiot and unable to communicate clearly. I did say "to convince me to scrap 10 months of investment" by which I mean, I upgraded to the Annual Platinum two months ago and therefore have 10 months to run. In my simple mind that means that if I upgrade again now - I will "waste" the 10 months I have yet to run before my subscription has competed. I am sorry for the confusion.

Without causing further confusion - (and I understand that as an upgrader of only two months and not having renewed that subscription I am not eligible for any discount - that is not where I am coming from), my concern/anxiety/need for clarification comes from the "limited" nature of the offer. August 31st looms and I am a pessimist.

I can understand that you want to offer updates to people who have committed to Sonar for a long time, and I would indeed like to consider myself one of those people, having moved from X3, through Artist, and then Professional and now Platinum. That to me is a commitment. If you had advertised Lifetime updates as a Platinum+ option without a deadline I would have possibly just jumped and paid the money up to you. But there is this deadline; and I wanted to know a little more about it - because my brain creates scenarios. I have imagination and sometimes it is a curse...

So, If you see my point and would be good enough to elaborate on the statement you made in your last paragraph to encompass the decision to utilise a deadline I would be very grateful

Yours sincerely

Mark Burrows
lludwick
Re: Big announcement: #SONAR4 Life, #SONAR4Mac, #SONAR4You 2016/06/15 12:16:11 (permalink)
My feeling, at least about the time limit for the 4Life offer, is that it certainly will not go on as a permanent fixture because then Cakewalk would be cutting themselves off from ongoing income from the product. It seems more likely they want to get a cash bump to cover costs for Mac Development.

Cakewalk has come out with some pretty nice offers from time to time and I think they will continue to appear. It might be that there will be another 4Life offer in the future, but I would not expect it to be soon. Perhaps it will appear when the Mac version is rolled out because that could be attractive to new users especially in a software world where other DAWs are requiring monthly or annual payments for support and upgrade.

Larry Ludwick

My Music on Soundclick:

cowboydan
Max Output Level: -72 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 908
Re: Big announcement: #SONAR4 Life, #SONAR4Mac, #SONAR4You 2016/06/15 12:26:12 (permalink)
Hi Mark
The deadline would seem to be the right thing to do as Cakewalk is a business. By that I am saying that Cakewalk cannot give everyone a lifetime update for the price that they are offering now. They would be soon out of business.
As far as the 10 months go, you could see it as trading your 10 months of Sonar for the lifetime update and never have to pay any more for the program. Every year has been $199 per year or you get lucky with a discount at the time to upgrade. For you it would be $199 one time for the rest of Sonar's life. Life expectancy for Sonar software would be at least 10-15 years. Unlike food, you don't have to refrigerate it and it wont go bad.
It is your choice.

Danny
Anderton
Re: Big announcement: #SONAR4 Life, #SONAR4Mac, #SONAR4You 2016/06/15 13:12:24 (permalink)
Another reason for doing limited-time offers is to test the waters and gauge reactions. They could decide based on the results to never do it again, do it sometimes, reserve it as a special thing...who knows. Cakewalk is very much into finding out what resonates with their customers as well as what attracts new customers.

Page: << < ..1112131415.. > >> Showing page 14 of 24
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1