Helpful ReplyComparing Sonar with Studio One

Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 4 of 9
Author
doncolga
Max Output Level: -60 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1519
Re: Comparing Sonar with Studio One 2017/11/30 14:14:39 (permalink)
GIM Productions
Jarsve
 How can I reach other than the few first markers in the song with the qwerty keyboard? I often have up to 40 markers in the songs. and they shows in the time bar.

Ok it's off topic....but Sonar gui is awesome!

In Sonar, how can you quickly get from channel 1 to channel 75 on the console?

HP Z220 Workstation I7 3770, 8 GB RAM, Windows 10, Sonar Platinum, RME Multiface II via PCIe, JBL 4326 w/sub, AvanTone MixCubes
dcumpian
Max Output Level: -34 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4124
Re: Comparing Sonar with Studio One 2017/11/30 14:17:32 (permalink)
exitthelemming
One aspect of Studio One that might take SONAR users a while to get used to is how multitimbral vst instruments are handled e.g. Sampletank, Kontakt, UVI Falcon etc. It took me a few days to get my head around this but when you have several MIDI tracks routed to individual MIDI channels on the same VSTi and use a MIDI volume fader on just one of the tracks to adjust that track: ALL the tracks are adjusted?! This seems counter intuitive and the only way I can get things to behave in the manner of just about every other DAW on the planet is to enable as many individual audio outputs in the VSTi as I need for separate tracks and control the track volumes (and pan) from there via the console view. There are postings on the Presonus forums questioning this issue but it seems that the software is actually designed to work this way. Despite this, I have enjoyed working with SI hugely and for me, despite some 'habit induced' niggles,  believe that most SONAR users would feel at home with this DAW

It seems that the common perception for S1 users is that you are supposed to modify the individual instrument levels in the VST itself. This never worked in Sonar because Sonar would override the levels unless you setup some automation. In S1, it does work. Volume is not automatically reset on stop and start of playback. Having said that, mapping individual outputs is probably the best way if you like to mix with the instruments rather than bounce to audio.

Regards,
Dan

Mixing is all about control.

My music:
http://dancumpian.bandcamp.com/ or https://soundcloud.com/dcumpian Studiocat Advanced Studio DAW (Intel i5 3550 @ 3.7GHz, Z77 motherboard, 16GB Ram, lots of HDDs), Sonar Plat, Mackie 1604, PreSonus Audiobox 44VSL, ESI 4x4 Midi Interface, Ibanez Bass, Custom Fender Mexi-Strat, NI S88, Roland JV-2080 & MDB-1, Komplete, Omnisphere, Lots o' plugins.    
rogeriodec
Max Output Level: -75 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 753
Re: Comparing Sonar with Studio One 2017/11/30 14:28:48 (permalink)
Has anyone seen this comparison? 
https://www.slant.co/vers...3/~sonar_vs_studio-one

rogeriodec.com.br

* Cakewalk By Bandlabs (always lastest versions), Window 10 x64
* Focusrite Scarlett Solo Audio Interface
* Intel i7-4790K CPU @ 4.00 GHz / ASROCK EXTREME 4 Z97 Mobo
* 2 SSD Samsung Evo 250 Gb (RAID-0) + 1 Western Digital 2 Tb + 1 Seagate 1 Tb
* Onboard video / 16 Gb RAM HyperX Fury 1600 Mhz
* 3 LCD Monitors
* Axiom 61 MIDI Controller, Tapco S5 Active Studio Monitors
exitthelemming
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 29
Re: Comparing Sonar with Studio One 2017/11/30 14:40:25 (permalink)
dcumpian
exitthelemming
One aspect of Studio One that might take SONAR users a while to get used to is how multitimbral vst instruments are handled e.g. Sampletank, Kontakt, UVI Falcon etc. It took me a few days to get my head around this but when you have several MIDI tracks routed to individual MIDI channels on the same VSTi and use a MIDI volume fader on just one of the tracks to adjust that track: ALL the tracks are adjusted?! This seems counter intuitive and the only way I can get things to behave in the manner of just about every other DAW on the planet is to enable as many individual audio outputs in the VSTi as I need for separate tracks and control the track volumes (and pan) from there via the console view. There are postings on the Presonus forums questioning this issue but it seems that the software is actually designed to work this way. Despite this, I have enjoyed working with SI hugely and for me, despite some 'habit induced' niggles,  believe that most SONAR users would feel at home with this DAW

It seems that the common perception for S1 users is that you are supposed to modify the individual instrument levels in the VST itself. This never worked in Sonar because Sonar would override the levels unless you setup some automation. In S1, it does work. Volume is not automatically reset on stop and start of playback. Having said that, mapping individual outputs is probably the best way if you like to mix with the instruments rather than bounce to audio.

Regards,
Dan

Thanks for the feedback Dan and yes, it's just a very different way of working that I have become routinely inured to treating as if I had just entrusted my tropical fish collection to a seal. The resetting of volume on stop and start of playback in SONAR when arranging MIDI files is something I certainly won't miss....
Wood67
Max Output Level: -64 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1348
Re: Comparing Sonar with Studio One 2017/11/30 14:42:09 (permalink)
doncolga
It's like everything is a 1-2 click operation.  It's taken me mixing about 30 songs before getting to what I felt was pretty good proficiency, and I still have much to learn.  But after that, Studio One is just working much better for me now.

Thanks for that post - very useful.  I have around 4 hours now in SOP.  I was really missing the ProChannel, and then discovered the chains setup in the console.  Other thing I used a lot in Sonar was my own plug in management.  With a lot of VST/VSTi plugs I need more than just view based on vendor, file, type.  Need to learn more about Transport controls though as these are quite different.

Someone mentioned console emulation options - haven't see those yet, are they plugs to insert over the channels?

Wood

Studio One 3 Pro, (Sonar Platinum), Intel i7, Win10 Pro, 32Gb ram, RME Babyface Pro, Behringer X-Touch, Presonus Faderport, Akai MPK49, Arturia KeyLab25, KRK Rokit 5 monitors, and other sonic surprises.
Sylvan
  • Total Posts : 793
Re: Comparing Sonar with Studio One 2017/11/30 14:46:42 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby doncolga 2017/11/30 21:22:16
doncolga
Guys, good grief.  It's silly to bash Studio One (or any other DAW) if you've only spent a few hours, or a few days on it compared to years you've been on Sonar.

I don't think anyone here is "bashing" Studio One at all. I see a lot of SONAR users that are making a difficult transition to a new DAW. An unexpected transition that will eventually become necessary because of SONAR getting the plug pulled out. 

The concerns being raised are a part of that transition. These users don't want to bash the new DAW they are moving to. Rather, they are taking an inventory of the new workflow, the possible differences in sound, what they have lost in terms of features and old habits, and what they might possibly gain.

This is a process, an exodus perhaps. No bashing. Just passionate users wanting to continue in their craft without their trusted familiar tools, having to learn a new set of tools. Remember that for many this will be a painful process. Keep that in mind before throwing out a blanket judgement. Be tolerant and inclusive, isn't that what the current culture trend is?

This passion is an asset, not a bashing. Rather than stir up the negative frenzy thing, Studio One users would do well to be patient and understanding while gently pointing out the different work flow. Know that these very talented and creative SONAR users will bring a super creative energy and much positive influence to the Studio One platform. What is being misconstrued as bashing can be a great pool of ideas that could benefit the whole S1 community.

Peace...

SONAR Platinum
RME Fireface UFX
Tascam US 20X20
Tascam US 16X08
Intel i7-5830K LGA2011V3 (6 CORE)
Asus X99-AII
Corsair Vengeance DDR4 32GB
Geeforce GTX 970 4GB
bitflipper
01100010 01101001 01110100 01100110 01101100 01101
  • Total Posts : 26036
Re: Comparing Sonar with Studio One 2017/11/30 14:52:36 (permalink)
tenfoot
Thats incredible bitflipper. I have been running it for 4 days on a laptop also running a dmx controller, x32 control software, traktor dj, Sonar and an autoloader. It hasn't missed a beat. 

Equally amazing is that you have only had a dozen crashes in 14 years. I am guessing you skipped X1 and X2;)

Yes, I did skip X1, X2, X3 and the first year of SPlat. I ran the very stable 8.5 all that time, and when rolling updates commenced I rarely updated on day one. I have settled upon a set of stable third-party components from the likes of FabFilter for my bread 'n butter processors, and similarly don't update them immediately, either. My system has been pretty reliable over the years.

And yes, it's a natural reaction to blame the environment, on the seemingly logical presumption that if such crashes were commonplace then we'd have surely heard about them. This, sadly, is not the case - for any complex application. Such an admittedly comforting belief can only be sustained by a fundamental misunderstanding of what crashes are and why they occur.

When an application fails with a C0000005 error, it's a bug. It means the program attempted to write to an invalid memory location, and is almost always caused by a null pointer. Programmers are not supposed to allow that to happen, but it's very easy to overlook a possible null pointer scenario. In can be extremely difficult to duplicate a crash scenario (which is why crash dumps exist). So it's an entirely forgivable mistake, but still a bug. Not sunspots, not RFI, not humidity, not the brand of speakers or audio interface you use.

External components are also part of that environment. The C++ runtime library, the audio drivers, plugins, Windows support DLLS - they can all crash an application. However, the crash dump tells you which module raised the error, which is how I know that 13 of my 14 SONAR crashes were caused by plugins. My current dumps identify Studio One.exe as the module that raised the errors.

My test project is minimal: no audio, no effects, just 4 MIDI tracks driving a single instance of Omnisphere. My environment has not changed other than to install some other DAWs. Mixcraft, Reaper and Tracktion all run smoothly with no crashes. And of course, SONAR, which hasn't seen a crash in literally years.

Now, I want to emphasize that I have not written off Studio One as a result of these crashes. I quite like the MIDI implementation and overall ease-of-use. It's a well-designed product. All this experience does is call into question the idea that Studio One will necessarily assure greater stability.

All else is in doubt, so this is the truth I cling to. 

My Stuff
rwheeler
Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 89
Re: Comparing Sonar with Studio One 2017/11/30 15:17:38 (permalink)
Jeff Evans
I highly recommend all the Groove 3 videos starting with version 1.5 even and going into 2 and then 3. There are Explained videos and Advanced videos for all versions. Stuff that is explained in V1.5 say does not get explained again. Only new stuff is added. ...

Really good advice Jeff. I had jumped in with the Groove3 videos for the most recent full version of Studio One "explained." Good content there, but following your advice to jump back to the earliest videos has been an excellent learning strategy for me. It really helps to get very clear on the basics and then build on that solid foundation. Belated thanks for your post.

Sonar Platinum lifetime plan, i7-4930k 3.4 GHx, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD system drive, Dell 2560x1600 monitor, Windows 10 64bit, Edirol UA-101, Nektar LX88+.
ØSkald
Max Output Level: -66 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1248
Re: Comparing Sonar with Studio One 2017/11/30 15:34:54 (permalink)
I finally found how to enable the 64bit engine in s1. I dont think this software is that intuitive at all. Maybe if your a ProTols user it is. But i dont find it intuitive and easy to learn. Like the icon for markers. It doesn't resemble a flag in my opinion. I think i have to work hard to really learn this software!

Asus TUF Z370-Pro Gaming, Bugera Trirec Infinium, Cakewalk Platinum, Corsair RM750 750W, Corsair Vengeance DDR4 4x8GB, Gigabyte GTX 960 2GB, Genelec 6010A with 5040A sub, Ibanez AEG10II BK, Ibanez Iron Label RGIR27E BK, Ibanez Iron Label RGIR28FE BK, Ibanez RG550 RF, Ibanez RG570 FMCS, Ibanez SR506 BM, Intel Core i7 8700K, USB, NI Komplete 11 Ultimate with Kontrol S61, Samsung 960 EVO M.2 NVMe SSD, Samsung SSDs 840 EVO 1TB, Toontrack EZdrummer 2, Toontrack EZMix 2, Toontrack Superior Drummer 3, UA Apollo Twin Duo, Windows 10 Pro
Joe_A
Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 458
Re: Comparing Sonar with Studio One 2017/11/30 15:44:05 (permalink)
Jarsve
I have one positive thing to say about Studio One that i have not been liking about Sonar. And that the pan. That you in S1 can type in you ban insted of the way in Sonar where you have to dial it in by the mouse. That is time consuming if you have 21 track of choir you want to pan in a specific way.

What S1 needs fast is groups in the faders, pans, mute, solo and so on. The way that is in sonar is priceless. I use them all the time. then you can make one automation for all the tracks in the group without having to make the automation for all the tracks.

*Just out of curious what are you tracking (miking) to get up to 21 choir tracks?

Tx!

jambrose@cfl.rr.com  Sonar Plat. Lifetime. Started in Sonar 4, each through 8.5.3PE.
Scarlett 18i202nd gen., Edirol FA-101, M-Audio Firewire 410, AMD Phenom II 1045T six core processor, 8GB DDR3, AMD Radeon HD 6450, dual displays, 1.5 TB SATA HD, USB 2, Firewire 1394A, 1394B, 18/22 mixer, EV Q-66, Yamaha HS50M monitors, few guitars, Fender Cybertwin SE, Fender Cyber foot controller, Boss RC20-XL, misc pedals, etc. Win Home Prem 64 bit.
sharke
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 13933
Re: Comparing Sonar with Studio One 2017/11/30 16:07:35 (permalink)
sonarman1
sharke
Again, for those claiming that one DAW has a superior basic sound than another, answer me this. Why have DAW manufacturers (apart from Harrison) never, ever approached their marketing efforts from that angle? Can you think of one single DAW manufacturer (apart from Harrison) which has boasted about such things as "warmth," or "superior stereo imaging" from their sound? I can't. In fact if anything, the only thing you can imagine them boasting about is how transparent their sound is, and you don't even hear them say that. 

Not true. I have seen Daws marketed as Enhanced audio engine, Superior sound, etc. I have watched a few S1 videos where its marketed as sounding superior. Not sure if its a official video. However the validity of such marketing is questionable.

And dont forget that protools was marketed for a while stating as sounding best. I couldnt find those old promos now. This is one of them. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FPPjpjZGtns
There is another video its all about protools sounding better.  

The only way I hear DAW manufacturers describe their audio engines is with words like "pristine," i.e. "clean." They might use phrases like "best sounding" to describe the whole package of the DAW in general, but that could include things like native plugins and other sound shaping features.

No DAW manufacturer makes the same kind of claims made by fans of the DAW on forums - these are claims that pure audio simply running through the audio engine comes out sounding better than through other DAW's. Phrases like "better soundstage" and "superior stereo imaging" and "tape like warmth" are frequently bandied about on forums. They are definitely not referring to the whole package of the DAW including the plugins. They are saying that the bare audio engine itself produces these qualities. 

DAW manufacturers stay away from claims like this because they know they can't be proven in properly controlled tests. If Sonar really did have a superior sound stage or better bass response and it was all provable in tests, I believe Cakewalk would have been all over it. If Avid could determine what exactly it was about Pro Tools' audio engine that was better sounding, they would be shouting it from the rooftops. 

They're quite happy to let well known producers and engineers make these claims. They're not exactly going to correct them. They just won't make them themselves. 

I believe that when I first read Cakewalk's promotional blurb for Sonar back in 2012, it said something like "pristine 64 bit audio engine." I took that to mean that it reproduces sound accurately and without coloring or distortion. There's no other reason to believe that any other DAW does it any differently. 2+2 always equals 4. 

James
Windows 10, Sonar SPlat (64-bit), Intel i7-4930K, 32GB RAM, RME Babyface, AKAI MPK Mini, Roland A-800 Pro, Focusrite VRM Box, Komplete 10 Ultimate, 2012 American Telecaster!
batsbrew
  • Total Posts : 10037
Re: Comparing Sonar with Studio One 2017/11/30 16:23:10 (permalink)
REPOST:

don't know if you've seen this before,
i'm just starting to drill down into this thing as well..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7qPCXGFJDA4

Bats Brew music Streaming
Bats Brew albums:
"Trouble"
"Stay"
"The Time is Magic"
--
Sonar 6 PE>Bandlab Cakewalk>Studio One 3.5>RME BFP>i7-7700 3.6GHz>MSI B250M>G.Skill Ripjaws 4 series 16GB>Samsung 960 EVO m.2ssd>W 10 Pro

Sacalait
Max Output Level: -79 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 552
Re: Comparing Sonar with Studio One 2017/11/30 16:56:33 (permalink)
I haven't started a project (song) in Studio One yet.  I'm learning the shortcuts to the basics at the moment.  I'm confident it can get my job done.  I probably won't move full-time to it until a couple more months.  But I have made a decision that it will be my studio DAW in the next year.  So for now it's wrapping my head around how it does things that I'm SO used to in Sonar.  No complaints at the moment.

www.pershingwells.com www.facebook.com/pershingwells
Sonar Platinum, PC- Intel i7-4770K w/16 Gig RAM Windows 8.1, Solid State Drive and eSATA drives, Mytek, RME UFX, RME Multiface II, Roland VS700,  A-Designs Pacifica, UA LA610, Presonus RC500. A-Designs Hammer EQ, DBX, AKG, Neumann, Roland, JBL, Fender, Gibson, G&L, Marshall, Korg, Martin, Shure, Electrovoice, Yamaha, Chameleon Labs comps.
sonarman1
Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 255
Re: Comparing Sonar with Studio One 2017/11/30 17:06:27 (permalink)

Good thing setting multiple output for instruments is very easy in S1
slyman
Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 194
Re: Comparing Sonar with Studio One 2017/11/30 17:12:34 (permalink)
Sacalait
I haven't started a project (song) in Studio One yet.  I'm learning the shortcuts to the basics at the moment.  I'm confident it can get my job done.  I probably won't move full-time to it until a couple more months.  But I have made a decision that it will be my studio DAW in the next year.  So for now it's wrapping my head around how it does things that I'm SO used to in Sonar.  No complaints at the moment.

+1

As far as sound difference, projects I've transferred over to S1 sounds exactly the same.
Software only passes through audio from and to your converters, it does not modify the source file in any way unless you process it. 
It's like saying Windows Media Player and VLC sound different playing raw files. They don't. 

Sonar Platinum, Gigabyte H87-HD3, Intel 4770k, 16Mb Ram, Win 10 Pro, RME Babyface Pro, Roland A-Pro 800, Presonus Studio Channel, Kemper Profiling Amp, Strat/Tele/LesPaul/Taylor 214ce/Dean Cadillac/P-Bass
raisindot
Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 96
Re: Comparing Sonar with Studio One 2017/11/30 18:08:27 (permalink)
Matron Landslide

This is a very funny image and I got a big laugh out of it, but it isn't really true. A better analogy would be to show Sonar as an evergreen tree in full foilage, but only half the height of Studio One (or any competitor). 

Because for me Sonar is not dead. As long as nothing disables it, I would be very happy never having to use any other DAW. It's great at the state where it is now, and is probably better than most of the competition. Unlike others, I don't buy software based on future developments that may or may not be relevant to what I do. That's why I've never upgraded Microsoft Office since 2007 (the newer versions are bloated and designed more for publishing blogs and web sites than documents) or Adobe Creative Suite since version 5. These programs do everything I need them to do now. If industry standards change in a way that I can longer use these programs, I'll switch at that time. Sonar's tree may be not be growing, but as far as I'm concerned it will remain evergreen. 
azslow3
Max Output Level: -42.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3297
Re: Comparing Sonar with Studio One 2017/11/30 19:45:06 (permalink)
bitflipper
When an application fails with a C0000005 error, it's a bug. It means the program attempted to write to an invalid memory location, and is almost always caused by a null pointer. Programmers are not supposed to allow that to happen, but it's very easy to overlook a possible null pointer scenario. In can be extremely difficult to duplicate a crash scenario (which is why crash dumps exist). So it's an entirely forgivable mistake, but still a bug. Not sunspots, not RFI, not humidity, not the brand of speakers or audio interface you use.

External components are also part of that environment. The C++ runtime library, the audio drivers, plugins, Windows support DLLS - they can all crash an application. However, the crash dump tells you which module raised the error, which is how I know that 13 of my 14 SONAR crashes were caused by plugins. My current dumps identify Studio One.exe as the module that raised the errors.

I am no way going to defend Sudio One. But any DLLs have access to the whole process memory. So it can corrupt something in the data of different module. Plus multi-threading (when and what is called in parallel in plug-in can be DAW specific).
One example - Tracktion tries to solve Waveform + Collective problem for half an year, still no success... Previous bug I hit was due to a bug in JUCE when started under German locale in Linux: observation was complete freeze with consuming the whole RAM

When it is possible to claim that the problem is 100% in the DAW? Only with "plug-in firewall". Sonar does not have it. Reaper HAS it. Studio One? I do not know... 

Sonar 8LE -> Platinum infinity, REAPER, Windows 10 pro
GA-EP35-DS3L, E7500, 4GB, GTX 1050 Ti, 2x500GB
RME Babyface Pro (M-Audio Audiophile Firewire/410, VS-20), Kawai CN43, TD-11, Roland A500S, Akai MPK Mini, Keystation Pro, etc.
www.azslow.com - Control Surface Integration Platform for SONAR, ReaCWP, AOSC and other accessibility tools
Audioicon
Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 349
Re: Comparing Sonar with Studio One 2017/11/30 20:01:34 (permalink)
sharke
nobody has ever been able to demonstrate conclusively that one DAW sounds different to another. 

Correct! Which is why some of the comments are just out of place.
One DAW should not sound different, unless there are effects and or processing applied to the sound.

AI

Checkout my new song: Playing on YouTube: EUPHORIA.
Joe_A
Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 458
Re: Comparing Sonar with Studio One 2017/11/30 20:12:57 (permalink)
Each DAW advises "enhanced, better" etc but the second part of the sentence that's always missing is "than...." So each is legally in the clear. They never say better than what....If pressed they can say "better than our earlier versions". If there's ever any documented proof, that would be and sometime is, highly pushed.

jambrose@cfl.rr.com  Sonar Plat. Lifetime. Started in Sonar 4, each through 8.5.3PE.
Scarlett 18i202nd gen., Edirol FA-101, M-Audio Firewire 410, AMD Phenom II 1045T six core processor, 8GB DDR3, AMD Radeon HD 6450, dual displays, 1.5 TB SATA HD, USB 2, Firewire 1394A, 1394B, 18/22 mixer, EV Q-66, Yamaha HS50M monitors, few guitars, Fender Cybertwin SE, Fender Cyber foot controller, Boss RC20-XL, misc pedals, etc. Win Home Prem 64 bit.
Audioicon
Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 349
Re: Comparing Sonar with Studio One 2017/11/30 20:19:13 (permalink)
Joe_A
Jarsve
I have one positive thing to say about Studio One that i have not been liking about Sonar. And that the pan. That you in S1 can type in you ban insted of the way in Sonar where you have to dial it in by the mouse. That is time consuming if you have 21 track of choir you want to pan in a specific way.

What S1 needs fast is groups in the faders, pans, mute, solo and so on. The way that is in sonar is priceless. I use them all the time. then you can make one automation for all the tracks in the group without having to make the automation for all the tracks.

*Just out of curious what are you tracking (miking) to get up to 21 choir tracks?

Tx!

He's doing a We are the World Remake! 

Checkout my new song: Playing on YouTube: EUPHORIA.
denverdrummer
Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 278
Re: Comparing Sonar with Studio One 2017/11/30 20:36:14 (permalink)
bitflipper
OK, here's a comparison for you:

I've had perhaps a dozen crashes with SONAR in 14 years. All but one one of them was caused by a plugin, not SONAR.

I've had 8 crashes with Studio One in 4 days. Mostly access violations, all raised in Studio One.exe.

This does not inspire confidence.

The good news is that Studio One does generate minidumps by default.

My experience as well.  I really hate recording in Studio One.  As I said my use of Studio One was simply for collaboration with Mac users.  I would often track in Sonar and export the wave files into Studio One.

For the person who said we are silly to bring this up because we've only been using a few days, I've been using it for 7 years.

I get that S1 works flawlessly for some, but not eveyone's workflow and requirements are the same.  I am usually recording 16 tracks or more simultaneously.  You think that Studio One would handle that better as it was build for their studio live mixers, although Studio One seems more stable on a Mac than on PC.

That's one of my reasons for switching to Cubase, is there are more Cubase Windows users than Mac users, so there is more attention to development on Windows.

Win 10 Pro 64 bit, Dell Inspiron 15, core i7, 16GB RAM, Focusrite Scarlett 18i20, Mackie MR5 Mark 1 speakers
Sylvan
Re: Comparing Sonar with Studio One 2017/11/30 21:51:55 (permalink)
Is there a way in Studio One to "Center the Now Time" as SONAR would put it? This is driving my crazy. In SONAR I assigned a key command that when I push it centers my view where the "Now Time" is. I don't know what Studio One calls it, but I hope there is a way to do that. Does anyone know? Thanks in advance.

SONAR Platinum
RME Fireface UFX
Tascam US 20X20
Tascam US 16X08
Asus X99-AII
Geeforce GTX 970 4GB
batsbrew
  • Total Posts : 10037
Re: Comparing Sonar with Studio One 2017/11/30 21:59:03 (permalink)
try looking here:

https://forums.presonus.com/

Bats Brew music Streaming
Bats Brew albums:
"Trouble"
"Stay"
"The Time is Magic"
--
Sonar 6 PE>Bandlab Cakewalk>Studio One 3.5>RME BFP>i7-7700 3.6GHz>MSI B250M>G.Skill Ripjaws 4 series 16GB>Samsung 960 EVO m.2ssd>W 10 Pro

Sylvan
Re: Comparing Sonar with Studio One 2017/11/30 22:02:16 (permalink)
Audioicon
sharke
nobody has ever been able to demonstrate conclusively that one DAW sounds different to another. 

One DAW should not sound different, unless there are effects and or processing applied to the sound.

AI

Sigh...

Maybe better isn't the word as that is subjective. But to say that all DAWs are absolutely identical when summing tracks and exporting them is simply not true. Have you ever done a real test? 

So no body is hurt, I won't say that one is better than another anymore as one may have different ideas of what is better. But as sure as the sun will rise again, there are absolutely differences. It's a simple test to confirm. 

If you import the same tracks into SONAR and Studio One or whatever DAW, make a fader move (no plugins!) then export. Export from each DAW. Bring them into another DAW, both starting at zero, flip the phase on one then play back. If they are the same, they will cancel each other out and you will hear nothing. If you hear anything, there is scientific proof that something is different. If you do this, you will see that they do not null (cancel out). That means there is a difference, they are not the same. That is all I and a large number of others is saying. They are not identical. Try the test yourself.

SONAR Platinum
RME Fireface UFX
Tascam US 20X20
Tascam US 16X08
Asus X99-AII
Geeforce GTX 970 4GB
dubdisciple
Max Output Level: -17 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5849
Re: Comparing Sonar with Studio One 2017/12/01 00:00:47 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby sonarman1 2017/12/01 08:30:21
telecharge
I've posted this before, but here it is again: Audio Myths & DAW Wars

Although I likely won't be upgrading to Studio One Pro myself, I would encourage anyone interested in Studio One to pay attention to Jeff Evans. He's one of the most knowledgeable users on this forum, and a nice guy, too.

Thanks for all your great posts, Jeff!

I co-sign this. One of the reasons i stayed on this forum desliye using Sonar kess and kess is because the information that people like Jeff and bitflopper post. I have never seen him post BS. I can say his posts have improved my results exponentially regatsless of what DAW I am using.
dubdisciple
Max Output Level: -17 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5849
Re: Comparing Sonar with Studio One 2017/12/01 00:05:26 (permalink)
I have asked year after year for proof that Mixbus does something magical aside from the built-in saturation and compressuon and always got a bunch of rhetoric. When people like Jeff acfually did objective tests my suspicions were confirmed that one could setup a default chain that would produce similar results in any DAW.
sharke
  • Total Posts : 13933
Re: Comparing Sonar with Studio One 2017/12/01 00:22:57 (permalink)
Sylvan
Audioicon
sharke

AI

Sigh...

Maybe better isn't the word as that is subjective. But to say that all DAWs are absolutely identical when summing tracks and exporting them is simply not true. Have you ever done a real test? 

So no body is hurt, I won't say that one is better than another anymore as one may have different ideas of what is better. But as sure as the sun will rise again, there are absolutely differences. It's a simple test to confirm. 

If you import the same tracks into SONAR and Studio One or whatever DAW, make a fader move (no plugins!) then export. Export from each DAW. Bring them into another DAW, both starting at zero, flip the phase on one then play back. If they are the same, they will cancel each other out and you will hear nothing. If you hear anything, there is scientific proof that something is different. If you do this, you will see that they do not null (cancel out). That means there is a difference, they are not the same. That is all I and a large number of others is saying. They are not identical. Try the test yourself.

I'm sorry but if both mixes null perfectly with faders at unity then that to me is proof that the summing engines are the same. If you're not nulling perfectly after moving one of the faders by the same amount then that's hardly proof that the DAWs sum differently. It could just be that there is a small discrepancy with how the faders work - perhaps one of the DAW's isn't lowering the signal by the full amount that it's reporting you pulled the fader down by. This will just alter the balance of the tracks relative to each other, which in turn will affect the overall tonal balance of the song to the point where you get some left over when trying to null with the other mix. You might even comment on a difference in "warmth" or some other tonal quality that is present in the track that you moved the fader on. 

Put it this way - what could faders possibly do to the sound apart from increasing or decreasing the volume level of a track? How could they possibly "add warmth" or "improve the stereo spread" or anything else that isn't just relative volume? And why would this "different" sound be absent with the faders at unity?  Imagine trying to market that: "And Cakewalk Sonar comes with a vastly superior summing engine that sounds better than the competition - as long as you move at least one fader!" Doesn't make sense. 

James
Windows 10, Sonar SPlat (64-bit), Intel i7-4930K, 32GB RAM, RME Babyface, AKAI MPK Mini, Roland A-800 Pro, Focusrite VRM Box, Komplete 10 Ultimate, 2012 American Telecaster!
doncolga
Max Output Level: -60 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1519
Re: Comparing Sonar with Studio One 2017/12/01 00:24:24 (permalink)
dubdisciple
I have asked year after year for proof that Mixbus does something magical aside from the built-in saturation and compressuon and always got a bunch of rhetoric. When people like Jeff acfually did objective tests my suspicions were confirmed that one could setup a default chain that would produce similar results in any DAW.

What I really like about MixBus is using the controls right on the console, so I use very few plugins, hence never have to open and close plugin windows, and that's wonderful.  I love that.  It was here I also first encountered a proper track list, and that greatly improves project navigation, especially with large projects.  With just the console processing, I could usually get the sound I was looking for very quickly, but I really missed the workflow and other features of Studio One.  I also didn't like how the controls were so tiny on the screen.

As a "best of both worlds", I added Softube Console 1 with the SSL 4000 E emulation a few months ago to go along with Studio One and it's a fixture on every channel and bus that's been great.  Very easy to select channels, huge, easy to read display, physical control surface, and 10% discount on a floor model.  Win, win, win.

HP Z220 Workstation I7 3770, 8 GB RAM, Windows 10, Sonar Platinum, RME Multiface II via PCIe, JBL 4326 w/sub, AvanTone MixCubes
tenfoot
Max Output Level: -53.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2186
Re: Comparing Sonar with Studio One 2017/12/01 00:50:23 (permalink)
bitflipper
[
Yes, I did skip X1, X2, X3 and the first year of SPlat. I ran the very stable 8.5 all that time, and when rolling updates commenced I rarely updated on day one. I have settled upon a set of stable third-party components from the likes of FabFilter for my bread 'n butter processors, and similarly don't update them immediately, either. My system has been pretty reliable over the years.

And yes, it's a natural reaction to blame the environment, on the seemingly logical presumption that if such crashes were commonplace then we'd have surely heard about them. This, sadly, is not the case - for any complex application. Such an admittedly comforting belief can only be sustained by a fundamental misunderstanding of what crashes are and why they occur.

My test project is minimal: no audio, no effects, just 4 MIDI tracks driving a single instance of Omnisphere. My environment has not changed other than to install some other DAWs. Mixcraft, Reaper and Tracktion all run smoothly with no crashes. And of course, SONAR, which hasn't seen a crash in literally years.

Now, I want to emphasize that I have not written off Studio One as a result of these crashes. I quite like the MIDI implementation and overall ease-of-use. It's a well-designed product. All this experience does is call into question the idea that Studio One will necessarily assure greater stability.

Your first comment here Is the 'holy grail' of having a stable DAW. I too have always maintained my studio and live performance rigs with a very limited number of favourite plugins and a stable release of Sonar - and offline. I have a third PC on which I try the latest of anything that takes my fancy, and it is almost never stable. You are also absolutey right in stating 'it works on my system therefore it's not the software' is completely unfounded - and infuriating:) It is no better than the oft sighted 'other software runs fine, therefore its a bug in Sonar' forum favourite. I was not implying either.  I am fully aware that you know your @#£% and have never seen you post anything but the most reasoned observations on any software. I was expressing genuine amazement at how quickly Studio One went pear shaped on your system. Apologies if it seemed any other way.

I wish in hindsight I had skipped everything from X1 to X3d. X3e is when the world came good again for me:) That said, I think the Sonar we have now is in part a good outcome of the chaos of that skylight overhaul period. Its a double edged sword. For my money Cubase is an example of software that has not taken too many big risks. I had Version 1 for windows 3 on an Osborne computer back in the early 90's, and I swear it still looks similar:)

Bruce.

Sonar Platinum 2017-09, Studio One 3.5.3, Win 10 x64, Quad core i7, RME Fireface, Behringer X32 Producer, Behringer X32 Rack, Presonus Faderport, Lemure Software Controller (Android), Enttec DMXIS VST lighting controller, Xtempo POK.
Fog
  • Total Posts : 12302
Re: Comparing Sonar with Studio One 2017/12/01 01:05:12 (permalink)
Jeff Evans
You can already do quick groups and make changes to many tracks/channels at once.  I think it is time to start learning the program properly.  All that is very basic stuff.

agree +1000% percent....  rest of us had to learn it... groove 3 does a silly amount of videos for a start..so  using it for 1-2 hours / days.. try using it for 1+ month.. and 70%+ of these comments to me are "none questions"

daw's by nature should be  magnolia /vanilla  sounding until you add anything em.. whether it be vstfx or console/channel add ons , that colours the sound.

spend time using it, for a month.. if you still have the same questions.. fair enough.

jadonx
Just checked CTC-1 Pro on audio deluxe for around £50 right now... £73 on Presonus site :)

they gave away the other add on free (channel strip) before, as like other US companies, look around. I'll only buy add ons when they are on sale.. joke being "source" their uk distro , is 5-10 minutes up the road.. won't price match stuff that I find, which is an annoyance as I'd rather a uk company gets a cut of it as well.

post edited by Fog - 2017/12/01 05:02:12
Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 4 of 9
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1