Helpful ReplyComparing Sonar with Studio One

Page: << < ..6789 > Showing page 6 of 9
Author
sonarman1
Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 255
Re: Comparing Sonar with Studio One 2017/12/01 17:02:09 (permalink)

I did notice that. I tried the test on just the kick and got the same results as you. I think you may be on to something here. I hadn't considered this before because I assumed that since I am not panning anything that the panning law did not come into play. But maybe it does. This is great. I hope that this is what is going on. If nothing else, it is most excellent that we are learning more about all this. I think it is really cool either way.

Thank you so much for taking the time to conduct your own investigation.

Yea its pretty cool

If you have dithering turned on in either DAW or both, even if it's the same kind of dithering, then the test is invalid. Dithering introduces random noise. Random anything is a big no-no when trying to see if two signals will null in a test. To compare the summing of two DAW's you have to make sure EVERYTHING is the same with no tolerances or random factors. Even if you think the dithering is doing nothing because of your sample rate, it's not a scientific test until you turn all dithering completely off. 

But it does nulls with Dithering turned on. I had tested other tracks as well which nulled despite dithering. So its not something to be worried of in this case. 

doncolga
Max Output Level: -60 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1519
Re: Comparing Sonar with Studio One 2017/12/01 17:06:18 (permalink)
So I just completed a null test comparing Sonar and Studio One.

Original tracks from VST's in Sonar with no processing at all in either DAW.  Exported with no dithering in either Sonar or Studio One and I'm getting complete nulls from individual tracks and from the combined final mix.  I agree dithering needs to be off on both.

That was a very cool process to see.  Here are my files if you'd like to check as well.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/a287g58shf5jiny/AAA-_1QyxcFy-L90SUm7tvioa?dl=0

HP Z220 Workstation I7 3770, 8 GB RAM, Windows 10, Sonar Platinum, RME Multiface II via PCIe, JBL 4326 w/sub, AvanTone MixCubes
Sylvan
Max Output Level: -75 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 793
Re: Comparing Sonar with Studio One 2017/12/01 17:14:01 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby Jarsve 2017/12/02 00:02:01
To: sonarman1,

I found out how to change the pan law in Studio One. You have to use a plugin...ha ha ha. It is called Dual Pan. I placed it on the "Main" and set it to the same as SONAR which is 0dB center.

I also found out how to remove the dither on Studio One (which is enabled by default.) You have to go to Studio One>Options>Advanced>Audio or something like that. Uncheck the Dithering option.

So I did all that. I removed dithering from both SONAR and Studio One. I changed the Pan Laws to be identical. I ran the test again, test 3, and they still will not null. Man, I was so hoping that they would. I want so badly to put this to rest. But no matter how hard I try, they will not null. I even double-checked the Mix FX is not on.

This is maddening. The only conclusion that I can draw from the hard science results is there is indeed a difference in summing between the two. There just is. After the panning law adjustment, I felt that things got a little closer, but still will not null, proving that they are not identical.

To others: I am sure Jeff is a nice guy, but to simply dismiss this out of hand is now beyond ridiculous. I am doing the procedures correctly. I have checked pan law, dithering, Mix FX, no plugins, no panning. What else is there? I have shown my documentation. I have shared my results. I have provided the test files. If anyone still wants to dismiss this, please provide your evidence as I have done. Taking ones word for it is not an option. Show the work and the science as I have done. I can't come up with any other conclusion. 

But like I said, I will still use Studio One. I accept the difference as irrefutable (unless someone can prove otherwise, show me how my tests are flawed, if they are at all) and will move onward and forward. 

This has been a great enlightening and learning exercise. 

SONAR Platinum
RME Fireface UFX
Tascam US 20X20
Tascam US 16X08
Intel i7-5830K LGA2011V3 (6 CORE)
Asus X99-AII
Corsair Vengeance DDR4 32GB
Geeforce GTX 970 4GB
Sylvan
Re: Comparing Sonar with Studio One 2017/12/01 17:18:26 (permalink)
doncolga

Original tracks from VST's in Sonar with no processing at all in either DAW.  Exported with no dithering in either Sonar or Studio One and I'm getting complete nulls from individual tracks and from the combined final mix.  I agree dithering needs to be off on both.

That was a very cool process to see.

That would be another twist in all this, if Studio One can null with SONAR using VST's (I assume you mean VSTi's) but not with audio.

Can you show your test and show that they are nulling?

SONAR Platinum
RME Fireface UFX
Tascam US 20X20
Tascam US 16X08
Asus X99-AII
Geeforce GTX 970 4GB
doncolga
Re: Comparing Sonar with Studio One 2017/12/01 17:25:29 (permalink)
Sylvan
doncolga

That would be another twist in all this, if Studio One can null with SONAR using VST's (I assume you mean VSTi's) but not with audio.

I don't have a screen capture app on my machine, but here are my files:

I feel a little silly asking, but just wanted to double check that you exported all totally from the very beginning again on your test with the dithering off?

HP Z220 Workstation I7 3770, 8 GB RAM, Windows 10, Sonar Platinum, RME Multiface II via PCIe, JBL 4326 w/sub, AvanTone MixCubes
Sylvan
Re: Comparing Sonar with Studio One 2017/12/01 18:01:21 (permalink)
doncolga
Sylvan
doncolga

I don't have a screen capture app on my machine, but here are my files:

I feel a little silly asking, but just wanted to double check that you exported all totally from the very beginning again on your test with the dithering off?

At this point, nothing is silly to ask...ha ha ha. Yes, I did. I made sure they are sample-accurate as far as that goes. I can happily say that Studio One and SONAR are exporting from the same spot to the same spot with spot-on accuracy by default. And yes, I had dithering turned off on both. Thank you for asking.

I am starting to wonder a little bout Cubase. If I demoed that, I would run the same tests and see what happens. Out of curiosity I may do that. But I am so short on time now and have gotten a bit behind with client work because of having to prove my case...ha ha ha.

SONAR Platinum
RME Fireface UFX
Tascam US 20X20
Tascam US 16X08
Asus X99-AII
Geeforce GTX 970 4GB
CW3948368110
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 18
Re: Comparing Sonar with Studio One 2017/12/01 18:06:37 (permalink)
Sylvan: I haven´t tested but I think the plugin you mentioned (Dual Pan) does not change the S1 pan law if you just put it on the master. If you move the knobs then yes.
Joe_A
Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 458
Re: Comparing Sonar with Studio One 2017/12/01 19:05:10 (permalink)
As an electronic engineer I agree with all the science to check / comparison. And that's good to review in looking at any two DAWs for peace of mind. However I'm not sold on the idea that SO Pro would be a product that would sound inferior in a direct comparison.

Otherwise that surely would have come up in the forum long ago. 😊 Please don't think I'm knocking this effort. I'm following to see how it turns out...

jambrose@cfl.rr.com  Sonar Plat. Lifetime. Started in Sonar 4, each through 8.5.3PE.
Scarlett 18i202nd gen., Edirol FA-101, M-Audio Firewire 410, AMD Phenom II 1045T six core processor, 8GB DDR3, AMD Radeon HD 6450, dual displays, 1.5 TB SATA HD, USB 2, Firewire 1394A, 1394B, 18/22 mixer, EV Q-66, Yamaha HS50M monitors, few guitars, Fender Cybertwin SE, Fender Cyber foot controller, Boss RC20-XL, misc pedals, etc. Win Home Prem 64 bit.
Jeff Evans
Max Output Level: -24 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5139
Re: Comparing Sonar with Studio One 2017/12/01 19:10:06 (permalink)
I am a nice guy!   The only thing here at my end is I do get complete nulls even with 32 tracks of instrumentation and vocals etc.. Plus live rooms as well.  The final mix being a very complex wave.  I see this comparison as leaning much more on the side of these things actually cancelling out meaning that DAW summing engines are in fact pretty similar.   The lower end of your result is not doing a good null.  The top end seems to be much quieter indicating it is frequency dependent. 

In my test I used Studio One as the playback machine.  Have you tried doing the nulls in Studio One instead. Although you will know more about your own DAW though which is good.  You could also do something without knowing it in Studio One.  Use the Mix Tool plugin and select the Invert Phase option.  Have you checked track types e.g. stereo/mono, panning laws, any sign of some processing you do not know is happening.  Any form of saturation. e.g. Mixbus has permanent saturation and for this test you have to ensure it is all removed providing the cleanest signal path.  Also line up the audio by eye seriously zoomed in as well.  Don't just rely on the timing of the rendering.  In that regard DAW's can be different. 

I find with virtual instruments the results are a little different rendering out what a virtual instrument might actually be doing at any point in time.  It is one situation where there it is more likely to be not a perfect null.  In synthesisers for example there are so many things that are freewheeling e.g. modulation sources.  You will never get them to be in perfect alignment in two different DAW's at two points of time.  Audio is more likely to be fixed and never change.  What some plugins might do though could also be similar to the virtual instrument case.  Others would be totally static e.g. an EQ.  But we are not using plug-ins in this case anyway. 

I get a different sound when I sum all the stereo stems coming out of Studio One in my Yamaha digital mixer compared to all that being done ITB.  I swear the image is wider.  It has nothing to do with the sound or bottom end etc, it is just a stereo thing.  It sounds like something nice is happening inside the digital mixer but it should not in fact.  I have been digging around to see what it could be and not found anything yet.  I started to think I was imagining it.  Then the engineer who engineered the last album by James Taylor said exactly the same thing in an audio magazine article.  That entire album is digital end to end and he mixed it on a Yamaha digital mixer because he felt the image sounded different.  (It is a fine example of yes you can get the sweetest most analog sounding result if you are skilled enough all in the digital world.  It really shows that those who think you can only get this sound via tape are wrong!) I need to do a null test on that one.  I do think this thread highlights the power of a null test actually. 

If you have a really strong idea about how something should sound, I don't think the summing engine is going to get in the way of achieving it.  I will have to find the tracks again in my library but I might when I can get to it try it again and see.  I have only got Producer 8.5 though. Can anyone advise me where the Sonar pan law settings are in 8.5. That would help. 

Specs i5-2500K 3.5 Ghz - 8 Gb RAM - Win 7 64 bit - ATI Radeon HD6900 Series - RME PCI HDSP9632 - Steinberg Midex 8 Midi interface - Faderport 8- Studio One V4 - iMac 2.5Ghz Core i5 - Sierra 10.12.6 - Focusrite Clarett thunderbolt interface 

Poor minds talk about people, average minds talk about events, great minds talk about ideas -Eleanor Roosevelt
azslow3
Max Output Level: -42.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3297
Re: Comparing Sonar with Studio One 2017/12/01 19:52:52 (permalink)
My results with original files, using Reaper...

For SONAR (only)
With Reaper (panning law 0.0).

TEST 1 : REAPER-01 to SONAR-01, NULL achieved! 
Note: before rendering it is clipping +1.8 ! After rendering (so with digital clipping) the result is NULL.
I am sure Sonar master also was +1.8, you just have not shown that in the video...

TEST 2: REAPER-03 to SONAR-03, NULL achieved!
There is no clipping. But there is a trick, in EXACT volume settings:
Kick  0.00dB
Overhead -13.00dB
Snare -7.97dB
Note that the last one is critical! -7.98 (and obviously -8) there is no perfect match.

In general, the accuracy of parameters in DAWs is 3-4 digits. I do not remember exact numbers for Sonar, can check if you want, something in the region 10-14bit resolution.
NOTE 1: that has nothing to do with the audio engine accuracy.
NOTE 2: -8.21dB and -12.2dB are both written using 2 meaningful digits, while -20.0dB has only 1(!).

For null testing, it is better to mix entering precise values with keyboard (and matching the same way, that is how I have found exactly -7.97dB)

Sonar 8LE -> Platinum infinity, REAPER, Windows 10 pro
GA-EP35-DS3L, E7500, 4GB, GTX 1050 Ti, 2x500GB
RME Babyface Pro (M-Audio Audiophile Firewire/410, VS-20), Kawai CN43, TD-11, Roland A500S, Akai MPK Mini, Keystation Pro, etc.
www.azslow.com - Control Surface Integration Platform for SONAR, ReaCWP, AOSC and other accessibility tools
Jeff Evans
Re: Comparing Sonar with Studio One 2017/12/01 20:00:25 (permalink)
(Internet mis information here I think) I found the opposite to be true especially when you start dealing with 4 DAW's.  Level setting to 3 decimal places should be avoided in my opinion.  They might all handle -7.97 in a slightly different way.  Where as -8 is going to be much easier and happier for all of them.  You can get a great mix with raw tracks using whole numbers for level settings. e.g. -7 dB or -8 dB or -9 dB etc...1 dB changes in level will be very subtle in terms of volume levels. 

Specs i5-2500K 3.5 Ghz - 8 Gb RAM - Win 7 64 bit - ATI Radeon HD6900 Series - RME PCI HDSP9632 - Steinberg Midex 8 Midi interface - Faderport 8- Studio One V4 - iMac 2.5Ghz Core i5 - Sierra 10.12.6 - Focusrite Clarett thunderbolt interface 

Poor minds talk about people, average minds talk about events, great minds talk about ideas -Eleanor Roosevelt
sharke
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 13933
Re: Comparing Sonar with Studio One 2017/12/01 20:22:51 (permalink)

I think if it's still not nulling with all dithering turned off, and the null is only ruined when you move a fader, that fader move has to be the clue. The only thing I can think of is that moving a fader by a numerical amount in S1 delivers a volume difference that is slightly different than moving Sonar's fader by exactly the same numerical amount. 

Until you can dismiss that possibility, you cannot reach any conclusion about the summing engine. 

If the same fader move in both DAW's results in a slightly different volume level for the track in question, then they won't null. The frequencies in the summed output will be different in each DAW. If that's the case, then it's more likely that both DAW's sum in exactly the same way, but their faders behave slightly differently.

James
Windows 10, Sonar SPlat (64-bit), Intel i7-4930K, 32GB RAM, RME Babyface, AKAI MPK Mini, Roland A-800 Pro, Focusrite VRM Box, Komplete 10 Ultimate, 2012 American Telecaster!
sonarman1
Re: Comparing Sonar with Studio One 2017/12/01 20:39:11 (permalink)
In SONAR Platinum I found the Pan law settings in Preferences> Driver Settings. Mine is by default set to "0db center, sin/cos taper, constant power"

I found out how to change the pan law in Studio One. You have to use a plugin...ha ha ha. It is called Dual Pan. I placed it on the "Main" and set it to the same as SONAR which is 0dB center.

May be there is still some difference due to sin/cos taper, constant power 
Sylvan
Re: Comparing Sonar with Studio One 2017/12/01 20:43:58 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby sonarman1 2017/12/01 20:53:30
Hey guys, you aren't going to believe this, but I found a way to make Test 3 null!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I can't believe it. Yes, you heard correctly. I was able to get SONAR and Studio One to null on the test 3 with the kick at 0, snare at -8, and overheads at -13.

Here is how I did it...

1. As suggested by azslow3, I manually typed in the values in both SONAR and Studio One.

2. I changed the Pan Law in SONAR to match the Pan Law in Studio One. (Apparently using the plugin to change the Pan Law in Studio One doesn't work.) That begs the question: Is there a real way to change the Pan Law in Studio One? I would like to test changing the Pan Law in Studio One to match that of SONAR to confirm that a null will work that way too. Can someone suggest a reliable way to change the Pan Law in Studio One that actually works?

3. Removed all dithering from both DAWs (I am not sure that this would have really mattered either way.)

So, my conclusions...

sonarman1 was #$@& right! It did have something to do with the Pan Law, even though panning was not being used. Something in the way each DAW handles stereo tracks or something... I didn't figure this out right away because when I tried sonarman1's suggestion about Pan Law, I tried to change Studio One's Pan Law, which seems to be very difficult to do. I hope it is possible though. I still want to confirm that these two monster DAWs can null going the other way. But changing Pan Law in SONAR is easy, so I tried it...and it worked!!!!

Also, slight variations do matter as azslow3 pointed out. Typing in exact values I feel made a difference in getting a null. 

Jeff Evans is also right. However, due to default settings inherent to each DAW, out of the box, there will be differences in sound. It is a bit of a job, but if you configure all settings appropriately, these DAWs will indeed pass the null test. Jeff was right about that. Studio One does make it a bit difficult to change some settings. I wish it were a bit easier.

So in conclusion, out of the box, there are sound differences, but that is due to some default settings. If configured exactly the same, the will put out exactly the same audio result, as Jeff Evans pointed out.

So, as I eat a little humble pie... Jeff, please accept my apology. I was so passionate about this and had a driving need to see it through. I really wanted the results to null from the beginning and it was really bothering me that I could not get them to null. I had spent my money on a product (Studio One) and wanted to feel like I was getting just as quality of a tool as I had in SONAR. The fact that I could not get a null was gnawing at me. I wanted to see the hard evidence, the science if you will, behind it and know that it was so. I wasn't getting that so I had to keep pushing. I am so glad I did because now I feel a whole lot better about Studio One.

I still would like to see some improvements in some areas of course, but that is for another thread in another place. This was the big issue I needed to get past.

A thank you to sonarman1, azslow3, and Jeff Evans on shaping this journey and seeing it through.

Anyone out there considering Studio One and wondering if it can null with SONAR, it can. I have made sure to satisfy that question.

Edit: I would also like to thank CW3948368110 and sharke. Your help was also invaluable in this. Thank you.

SONAR Platinum
RME Fireface UFX
Tascam US 20X20
Tascam US 16X08
Asus X99-AII
Geeforce GTX 970 4GB
Joe_A
Re: Comparing Sonar with Studio One 2017/12/01 20:46:23 (permalink)
+1 on Azslow's comment.

jambrose@cfl.rr.com  Sonar Plat. Lifetime. Started in Sonar 4, each through 8.5.3PE.
Scarlett 18i202nd gen., Edirol FA-101, M-Audio Firewire 410, AMD Phenom II 1045T six core processor, 8GB DDR3, AMD Radeon HD 6450, dual displays, 1.5 TB SATA HD, USB 2, Firewire 1394A, 1394B, 18/22 mixer, EV Q-66, Yamaha HS50M monitors, few guitars, Fender Cybertwin SE, Fender Cyber foot controller, Boss RC20-XL, misc pedals, etc. Win Home Prem 64 bit.
Joe_A
Re: Comparing Sonar with Studio One 2017/12/01 20:49:07 (permalink)
Sylvan
Hey guys, you aren't going to believe this, but I found a way to make Test 3 null!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I can't believe it. Yes, you heard correctly. I was able to get SONAR and Studio One to null on the test 3 with the kick at 0, snare at -8, and overheads at -13.

Here is how I did it...

1. As suggested by azslow3, I manually typed in the values in both SONAR and Studio One.

2. I changed the Pan Law in SONAR to match the Pan Law in Studio One. (Apparently using the plugin to change the Pan Law in Studio One doesn't work.) That begs the question: Is there a real way to change the Pan Law in Studio One? I would like to test changing the Pan Law in Studio One to match that of SONAR to confirm that a null will work that way too. Can someone suggest a reliable way to change the Pan Law in Studio One that actually works?

3. Removed all dithering from both DAWs (I am not sure that this would have really mattered either way.)

So, my conclusions...

sonarman1 was #$@& right! It did have something to do with the Pan Law, even though panning was not being used. Something in the way each DAW handles stereo tracks or something... I didn't figure this out right away because when I tried sonarman1's suggestion about Pan Law, I tried to change Studio One's Pan Law, which seems to be very difficult to do. I hope it is possible though. I still want to confirm that these two monster DAWs can null going the other way. But changing Pan Law in SONAR is easy, so I tried it...and it worked!!!!

Also, slight variations do matter as azslow3 pointed out. Typing in exact values I feel made a difference in getting a null. 

Jeff Evans is also right. However, due to default settings inherent to each DAW, out of the box, there will be differences in sound. It is a bit of a job, but if you configure all settings appropriately, these DAWs will indeed pass the null test. Jeff was right about that. Studio One does make it a bit difficult to change some settings. I wish it were a bit easier.

So in conclusion, out of the box, there are sound differences, but that is due to some default settings. If configured exactly the same, the will put out exactly the same audio result, as Jeff Evans pointed out.

So, as I eat a little humble pie... Jeff, please accept my apology. I was so passionate about this and had a driving need to see it through. I really wanted the results to null from the beginning and it was really bothering me that I could not get them to null. I had spent my money on a product (Studio One) and wanted to feel like I was getting just as quality of a tool as I had in SONAR. The fact that I could not get a null was gnawing at me. I wanted to see the hard evidence, the science if you will, behind it and know that it was so. I wasn't getting that so I had to keep pushing. I am so glad I did because now I feel a whole lot better about Studio One.

I still would like to see some improvements in some areas of course, but that is for another thread in another place. This was the big issue I needed to get past.

A thank you to sonarman1, azslow3, and Jeff Evans on shaping this journey and seeing it through.

Anyone out there considering Studio
One and wondering if it can null with SONAR, it can. I have made sure to satisfy that question.

A great exercise! Everyone learned a little about S1P And perhaps a bit about DAWs in general

And all said "this is a good thing"!

azslow3
Max Output Level: -42.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3297
Re: Comparing Sonar with Studio One 2017/12/01 20:59:26 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby sonarman1 2017/12/01 21:04:16
I forgot to add a comment about dithering...

It the test we are speaking about, the different between test files is audible. I hope it is clear that since we are speaking about 24bit files, to perceive any difference from algorithms (even without dithering vs Pow-r 3) , we need some tool capable to show signals under -140dB. Or amplify it at least +40dB (till someone participating in this discussions is not a human).  

Sonar 8LE -> Platinum infinity, REAPER, Windows 10 pro
GA-EP35-DS3L, E7500, 4GB, GTX 1050 Ti, 2x500GB
RME Babyface Pro (M-Audio Audiophile Firewire/410, VS-20), Kawai CN43, TD-11, Roland A500S, Akai MPK Mini, Keystation Pro, etc.
www.azslow.com - Control Surface Integration Platform for SONAR, ReaCWP, AOSC and other accessibility tools
Jeff Evans
Re: Comparing Sonar with Studio One 2017/12/01 21:00:11 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby sonarman1 2017/12/01 21:06:49
Look I am just happy that you have got a different result.  And the right one too!  I think if it just comes down to pan law settings and things then we can all agree you can make a pretty decent recording in any DAW.  And as we are not nulling DAW's often, after all we are only working with one usually, you will be setting panning and level by ear.

Sylvan you can certainly change pan laws settings.  Use the Dual Pan Plug In and over on the left under the main heading is a menu. Click on it and all settings will show up. Select it there. I have found the default -3dB centre is pretty nice for everything.  I don't change that very often because I don't feel the need to.  I find panning sounds more obvious to me in Studio One though after coming from Producer 8.5.  

I have enjoyed this thread because it has got me thinking about doing a null test with my digital mixer summing stuff instead of summing everything ITB. I am curious with this for sure.  There is something going on there. 

Null testing is also very cool and can be used in other ways too.  Like setting up a compressor.  As you know we have to often set up compressors over individual tracks or mixes. You can set up a parallel path and phase inversion so you only hear sound when the compressor acts on the  signal. When it is not doing anything you will hear silence.  So after setting all this up, you switch all that off and set up your compressor with audio present as per  normal.  But when you switch into the silent mode and only hearing it acting then, if you hear audio coming in and out in a very jerky manner then it means you can set your  compressor better.  Often by just refining your initial settings, you will get much snootier transitions as to how the sound comes in and goes away.  Once you get that nice, when you switch back to normal audio plus compressor operation, you will hear much nicer compression.  It will sound very musical and smooth and locked into the music much more.  More transparent too which we often want. 

sonarman1
Re: Comparing Sonar with Studio One 2017/12/01 21:03:26 (permalink)
Wow! I was just about to post that setting up dual pan plugin in S1 masterbus is indeed doing nothing. (May be I am not not doing it properly?). But seriously how else to do it?

Great job Sylvan now its obvious there was a solid reason behind why many including me was wondering about the difference in sound.
It seems with sonars default pan law 0db constant your mono track is gonna sound +3db if panned to center. 
So thats why you felt your low end was better in Sonar coz your kick was in mono and +3db in level in comparison to S1 with -3db pan law.
 http://forumsarchive.presonus.com/posts/list/0/37072.page this post is useful in understanding pan law.
Sylvan
Re: Comparing Sonar with Studio One 2017/12/01 21:06:11 (permalink)
Jeff Evans

Sylvan you can certainly change pan laws settings.  Use the Dual Pan Plug In and over on the left under the main heading is a menu. Click on it and all settings will show up. Select it there. I have found the default -3dB centre is pretty nice for everything.  I don't change that very often because I don't feel the need to.  I find panning sounds more obvious to me in Studio One though after coming from Producer 8.5.  

I saw that plugin and tried to use it, but it didn't seem to have any effect or change. Maybe I am using it wrong or something...

SONAR Platinum
RME Fireface UFX
Tascam US 20X20
Tascam US 16X08
Asus X99-AII
Geeforce GTX 970 4GB
Sylvan
Re: Comparing Sonar with Studio One 2017/12/01 21:09:02 (permalink)
sonarman1
Wow! I was just about to post that setting up dual pan plugin in S1 masterbus is indeed doing nothing. (May be I am not not doing it properly?). But seriously how else to do it?

Great job Sylvan now its obvious there was a solid reason behind why many including me was wondering about the difference in sound.
It seems with sonars default pan law 0db constant your mono track is gonna sound +3db if panned to center. 
So thats why you felt your low end was better in Sonar coz your kick was in mono and +3db in level in comparison to S1 with -3db pan law.
http://forumsarchive.presonus.com/posts/list/0/37072.page this post is useful in understanding pan law.

Yeah, I couldn't get the Dual Pan plugin to do anything either. That is why I removed it, went into SONAR and changed the Pan Law there to match the setting of Studio One. 

If you or anyone else can figure out how to make Dual Pan plugin work in Studio One to change the Pan Law, please share it with us. I want to test that setting going in reverse.

SONAR Platinum
RME Fireface UFX
Tascam US 20X20
Tascam US 16X08
Asus X99-AII
Geeforce GTX 970 4GB
Jeff Evans
Re: Comparing Sonar with Studio One 2017/12/01 21:19:45 (permalink)
I have just set up an experiment using a tone generator, followed by Dual Pan and then a VU meter such as the Klanghelm VUMT meter.

I have indeed tried all the settings and they all work and respond.  It is not so much what the levels are in the centre and extremes (they do also vary too) but how it changes as you move either of those pan controls in Dual Pan and observe what happens on the VU meter.  The various settings produce different results as you sweep the individual pan controls over their range.

Take a dual pan setting like one control fully anti clockwise and the other in the centre position.  Observe the position of the needles in both VU meters.  Select all the settings in the Dual Pan low settings menu and see for each one a different result in the VU meters.  They all work.  I think subtle is the name of the game when you are actually panning in a mix situation though.  And in the end we still use our ears to set a pan position and level, so matter what the pan law you have chosen at the time you will make those adjustments to satisfy your ear.  With any pan law setting that end result is going to be consistent. 
post edited by Jeff Evans - 2017/12/01 21:42:46

dcmg
Max Output Level: -83 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 393
Re: Comparing Sonar with Studio One 2017/12/01 23:02:30 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby doncolga 2017/12/02 01:03:08
Good work to everyone involved here...very enlightening thread!

CWBL/SPlat/Studio One Pro on Win10-64 Bit
Asrock H370 Pro4 w/Intel i7-8700
16GB Adata DDR4 2666 RAM
All SSD's/ On-Board Intel Graphics
Apollo 8 Quad FW/TB, AD2, Trillian, Omni, S-Gear, Waves, Soundtoys, TRacks, 
MicPres: Langevin DVC, Great River, UAD LA610Mk2. 
Dynaudio Monitors, and other stuff.
CW3948368110
Re: Comparing Sonar with Studio One 2017/12/01 23:20:48 (permalink)
Just to clarify my post #157:
The Dual Pan plugin is about panning the signal, it is not supposed to do anything if you don´t move the knobs. The panning law setting is for that plugin ONLY.
ØSkald
Max Output Level: -66 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1248
Re: Comparing Sonar with Studio One 2017/12/02 00:36:05 (permalink)
Anyone know a way of opening omf files in S1?

Asus TUF Z370-Pro Gaming, Bugera Trirec Infinium, Cakewalk Platinum, Corsair RM750 750W, Corsair Vengeance DDR4 4x8GB, Gigabyte GTX 960 2GB, Genelec 6010A with 5040A sub, Ibanez AEG10II BK, Ibanez Iron Label RGIR27E BK, Ibanez Iron Label RGIR28FE BK, Ibanez RG550 RF, Ibanez RG570 FMCS, Ibanez SR506 BM, Intel Core i7 8700K, USB, NI Komplete 11 Ultimate with Kontrol S61, Samsung 960 EVO M.2 NVMe SSD, Samsung SSDs 840 EVO 1TB, Toontrack EZdrummer 2, Toontrack EZMix 2, Toontrack Superior Drummer 3, UA Apollo Twin Duo, Windows 10 Pro
Sylvan
Re: Comparing Sonar with Studio One 2017/12/02 00:57:11 (permalink)
CW3948368110
Just to clarify my post #157:
The Dual Pan plugin is about panning the signal, it is not supposed to do anything if you don´t move the knobs. The panning law setting is for that plugin ONLY.

I see. Is there a way to change the default pan law overall in Studio One? Or is the -3dB just hard-wired in?

SONAR Platinum
RME Fireface UFX
Tascam US 20X20
Tascam US 16X08
Asus X99-AII
Geeforce GTX 970 4GB
doncolga
Re: Comparing Sonar with Studio One 2017/12/02 01:02:28 (permalink)
Sylvan
doncolga

I didn't change any panning laws on either DAW with my test.

sonarman1
Re: Comparing Sonar with Studio One 2017/12/02 07:04:41 (permalink)

I didn't change any panning laws on either DAW with my test.

I guess you never did any panning and recorded everything in stereo. So the pan law wont have any effect. Hence you got complete nulls. Sylvan had two tracks in mono and the two daws had different pan laws so he didnt get nulls 
CW3948368110
Re: Comparing Sonar with Studio One 2017/12/02 10:02:23 (permalink)
SylvanI see. Is there a way to change the default pan law overall in Studio One? Or is the -3dB just hard-wired in?
It seems the -3dB is hard-wired, but I´m not 100% sure - I purchased S1 just yesterday.
Anyway it doesn´t matter because you always mix the way you want with new songs in S1 - and you automatically compensate whatever the pan law is without thinking about it. You can also fix minor difference with old songs imported to S1 with M/S eq.

dubdisciple
Max Output Level: -17 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5849
Re: Comparing Sonar with Studio One 2017/12/02 17:06:51 (permalink)
This ended up being a very informative thread
Page: << < ..6789 > Showing page 6 of 9
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1