Helpful ReplyComparing Sonar with Studio One

Page: << < ..6789 > Showing page 8 of 9
Author
rodreb
Max Output Level: -72 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 915
Re: Comparing Sonar with Studio One 2017/12/13 20:45:39 (permalink)
Think I'll just go ahead and take advantage of the $149 special Sonar crossgrade. It's a very generous offer. Even if I eventually end up elsewhere, it can't hurt to have and learn Studio One.
I also thought this might be the time to finally go over to the dark side.... switch to Pro Tools. You know, the "industry standard". Then I looked at their strange, confusing, pricing structure.... Nope. (plus.... iLok.... Nope)
To be completely honest, I think I will probably end up on Studio One. It's not perfect but, it looks to me like the most reasonable alternative. I have always had respect for Presonus and feel they are a very ambitious company. And.... as far as I know, they are not owned by some big, conglomerate, soulless, evil, parent company! Ha ha! 

ROD

Imaginary Friend Recording 
https://www.facebook.com/ifrecording?skip_nax_wizard=true

Dell XPS, i7 8700 (6 core), 16 gb 2666 RAM, two 2 Tb 7200 RPM HDD's, Windows 10 Home, Focusrite Saffire Pro 40 & Octapre

danbottomburp
Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 206
Re: Comparing Sonar with Studio One 2017/12/14 20:10:11 (permalink)
The metronome in studio one 3 is garbage, the sounds it makes is worse than I could program on my old commodore 64.
Im really liking the actual Daw and the work flow but the metronome sounds are really really really poor. 

Asus Z270F Motherboard
Intel core i7 7700k
BeQuiet Dark Rock Advanced CPU Cooler
Vengeance LPX 16GB DDR4 3200
Samsung 830 SSD SATA III 256GB 6GBPS 2.5"
Coolermaster 600W Silentpro PSU
Gigabyte 1080 Gpu
Sonar Platinum
Windows 10 64bit
Behringer c-1 condensor mic
Line 6 Helix Rack 

Tom B
Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 107
Re: Comparing Sonar with Studio One 2017/12/14 21:15:11 (permalink)
danbottomburp
The metronome in studio one 3 is garbage, the sounds it makes is worse than I could program on my old commodore 64.
Im really liking the actual Daw and the work flow but the metronome sounds are really really really poor. 

The default settings on the metronome aren't my favorite either.  The metronome sounds can be changed by clicking on the wrench icon next to the metronome icon. There's an "Add Sound" option, which I haven't tried, but wonder if that's a way to load an audio file to customize the metronome sounds.

- Tom B.
See the new Cakewalk by Bandlab Forum - Jan 2019.
Jeff Evans
Max Output Level: -24 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5139
Re: Comparing Sonar with Studio One 2017/12/14 21:15:39 (permalink)
You can select a range of metronome sounds. There is one in there that is really great. A real nice sharp click type of sound that is very good. You can also make your own, download and put them in the folder with the others and then increase your choices.

Specs i5-2500K 3.5 Ghz - 8 Gb RAM - Win 7 64 bit - ATI Radeon HD6900 Series - RME PCI HDSP9632 - Steinberg Midex 8 Midi interface - Faderport 8- Studio One V4 - iMac 2.5Ghz Core i5 - Sierra 10.12.6 - Focusrite Clarett thunderbolt interface 

Poor minds talk about people, average minds talk about events, great minds talk about ideas -Eleanor Roosevelt
batsbrew
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 10037
Re: Comparing Sonar with Studio One 2017/12/14 21:15:45 (permalink)
danbottomburp

why don't you just change the sounds for the metronome?

Bats Brew music Streaming
Bats Brew albums:
"Trouble"
"Stay"
"The Time is Magic"
--
Sonar 6 PE>Bandlab Cakewalk>Studio One 3.5>RME BFP>i7-7700 3.6GHz>MSI B250M>G.Skill Ripjaws 4 series 16GB>Samsung 960 EVO m.2ssd>W 10 Pro

Tom B
Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 107
Re: Comparing Sonar with Studio One 2017/12/14 21:21:48 (permalink)
 Looks like we are all posting similar suggestions at the same time!

- Tom B.
See the new Cakewalk by Bandlab Forum - Jan 2019.
dcumpian
Max Output Level: -34 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4124
Re: Comparing Sonar with Studio One 2017/12/14 21:56:22 (permalink)
Just copy the Sonar metronome sounds...

Dan

Mixing is all about control.

My music:
http://dancumpian.bandcamp.com/ or https://soundcloud.com/dcumpian Studiocat Advanced Studio DAW (Intel i5 3550 @ 3.7GHz, Z77 motherboard, 16GB Ram, lots of HDDs), Sonar Plat, Mackie 1604, PreSonus Audiobox 44VSL, ESI 4x4 Midi Interface, Ibanez Bass, Custom Fender Mexi-Strat, NI S88, Roland JV-2080 & MDB-1, Komplete, Omnisphere, Lots o' plugins.    
Rimshot
Max Output Level: -29 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4625
Re: Comparing Sonar with Studio One 2017/12/14 22:30:34 (permalink)
Can't believe someone complained about the metronome sound! 
Thanks to those who stated it can be changed easily. 
Yikes!
Maybe look before you leep?

Rimshot 

Sonar Platinum 64 (Lifer), Studio One V3.5, Notion 6, Steinberg UR44, Zoom R24, Purrrfect Audio Pro Studio DAW (Case: Silent Mid Tower, Power Supply: 600w quiet, Haswell CPU: i7 4790k @ 4.4GHz (8 threads), RAM: 16GB DDR3/1600 
, OS drive: 1TB HD, Audio drive: 1TB HD), Windows 10 x64 Anniversary, Equator D5 monitors, Faderport, FP8, Akai MPK261
rodreb
Re: Comparing Sonar with Studio One 2017/12/15 06:26:54 (permalink)
Does anybody know if Studio One and the Focusrite Saffire Pro 40 work well together?

ROD

Dell XPS, i7 8700 (6 core), 16 gb 2666 RAM, two 2 Tb 7200 RPM HDD's, Windows 10 Home, Focusrite Saffire Pro 40 & Octapre

mettelus
Max Output Level: -22 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5321
Re: Comparing Sonar with Studio One 2017/12/15 06:51:21 (permalink)
I have used with the Saffire Pro 24 DSP without issues, but there is a weird nuance when shifting to/from ASIO in the last two builds for me. Studio One harps on Windows audio being in stereo mode, then does a do loop, but bring ASIO back and it starts using Windows audio (basically drive that with Windows settings in Win7 anyway).

If staying in ASIO mode, I have had no issues.

ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero (Wi-Fi AC), i7-8700k, 16GB RAM, GTX-1070Ti, Win 10 Pro, Saffire PRO 24 DSP, A-300 PRO, plus numerous gadgets and gizmos that make or manipulate sound in some way.
rodreb
Re: Comparing Sonar with Studio One 2017/12/15 07:44:20 (permalink)
Well, I'm basically down to deciding between Studio One and Reaper. I do not want anything that is gonna have stability issues with my Saffire Pro 40. 

ROD

Rimshot
Max Output Level: -29 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4625
Re: Comparing Sonar with Studio One 2017/12/15 17:49:00 (permalink)
Remember that you can download a free version of S1 to test with your system.

Rimshot 

Sonar Platinum 64 (Lifer), Studio One V3.5, Notion 6, Steinberg UR44, Zoom R24, Purrrfect Audio Pro Studio DAW (Case: Silent Mid Tower, Power Supply: 600w quiet, Haswell CPU: i7 4790k @ 4.4GHz (8 threads), RAM: 16GB DDR3/1600 
, OS drive: 1TB HD, Audio drive: 1TB HD), Windows 10 x64 Anniversary, Equator D5 monitors, Faderport, FP8, Akai MPK261
CTStump
Max Output Level: -82 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 409
Re: Comparing Sonar with Studio One 2017/12/15 18:09:55 (permalink)
dubdisciple
This ended up being a very informative thread

Mr. Evans is a fountain of info when it comes to comparison questions.

Great work Jeff.

Sonar 8.5PE
Project 5.2
Self Built 2.6Ghz dual core AMD 5200+
8 Gb DDR Ram
Windows Vista 64
Emu 1616 pci
Various collection of old musical toys

ØSkald
Max Output Level: -66 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1248
Re: Comparing Sonar with Studio One 2017/12/16 18:24:18 (permalink)
I bought S1 the Monday after Gibson Killed Cakewalk.
But I am on Cubase now.
I dont want to be on a minor DAW anymore, with all the insecurity about it.
Now I want to stay on the standard.
Now even my Native Instuments Komplete S61 works as it should.
I still have the S1 and might play with it sometimes tho.

Asus TUF Z370-Pro Gaming, Bugera Trirec Infinium, Cakewalk Platinum, Corsair RM750 750W, Corsair Vengeance DDR4 4x8GB, Gigabyte GTX 960 2GB, Genelec 6010A with 5040A sub, Ibanez AEG10II BK, Ibanez Iron Label RGIR27E BK, Ibanez Iron Label RGIR28FE BK, Ibanez RG550 RF, Ibanez RG570 FMCS, Ibanez SR506 BM, Intel Core i7 8700K, USB, NI Komplete 11 Ultimate with Kontrol S61, Samsung 960 EVO M.2 NVMe SSD, Samsung SSDs 840 EVO 1TB, Toontrack EZdrummer 2, Toontrack EZMix 2, Toontrack Superior Drummer 3, UA Apollo Twin Duo, Windows 10 Pro
mkerl
Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 190
Re: Comparing Sonar with Studio One 2017/12/16 20:15:37 (permalink)
Jarsve
But I am on Cubase now.

Presonus is a succesful  hardware company. S1 is closely linked to these products. Insecure? I don't think so.

Cheers :)

Nothing to do but playing (Ch. Parker)
CTStump
Max Output Level: -82 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 409
Re: Comparing Sonar with Studio One 2017/12/16 20:54:34 (permalink)
mkerl
Jarsve
But I am on Cubase now.

Presonus is a succesful  hardware company. S1 is closely linked to these products. Insecure? I don't think so.

Really no need to answer this guy or defend S1 as you call it, he made his mind up when started this thread. If you go though the last 22 pages(on the mobile version of the forum) of this thread he comes up with rather trivial and unsubstantiated claims and complaints causing some to work overtime to prove otherwise.

I've been watching thread to see his next reply after the flood of contrary data just to see what he comes with next, quite entertaining. Got to hand it to Jeff for his unending patience through out this adventure.

I'm not in any way trying to write that the OP is not legit in his distaste for Studio One or his need for what he thinks IS a better and more mature solution because there is no more established and mature DAW than Cubase.

Let's just face it.....some people hate(or dislike if that is a better word) Studio One.....for whatever reason they want.

Sonar 8.5PE
Project 5.2
Self Built 2.6Ghz dual core AMD 5200+
8 Gb DDR Ram
Windows Vista 64
Emu 1616 pci
Various collection of old musical toys

mkerl
Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 190
Re: Comparing Sonar with Studio One 2017/12/16 21:29:32 (permalink)
CTStump

Got to hand it to Jeff for his unending patience through out this adventure.

I'm not in any way trying to write that the OP is not legit in his distaste for Studio One or his need for what he thinks IS a better and more mature solution because there is no more established and mature DAW than Cubase.

Let's just face it.....some people hate(or dislike if that is a better word) Studio One.....for whatever reason they want.

Maybe it's because I don't like this nerdy Cubase that much :) On the other hand I'm really excited with Studio One, a perfect tool for targeted work. Lean, quick,  and a well thought out design.

And Jeff is great, he made a lot of good points. Thanks for sharing !!! 
However. Different strokes for different folks :) :) 

post edited by mkerl - 2017/12/17 04:34:54

Nothing to do but playing (Ch. Parker)
cparmerlee
Max Output Level: -67 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1153
Re: Comparing Sonar with Studio One 2017/12/17 03:17:08 (permalink)
Sylvan
Now that we know the summing is different, lets move onward and forward. I would love to hear from Studio One developers about why this difference exists. Maybe they did it on purpose. I have an open mind about it. But all the rhetoric about the mix engines being identical can be laid to rest.

Thank you for doing those tests.  My first impression with S1 was exactly as you described -- a lack of depth compared to SONAR.  It just didn't sound "as professional", whatever that means.  I attributed this to the ProChannel effects that may be on by default (console emulation).  Your tests show that the difference it is not a result of any effects. 
I am moving on from SONAR because I am pretty sure there will be a day before too long when I wake up and SONAR will no longer work on my machine.  I can't live with that, no matter how great SONAR was (and still is).  I do hope that your tests inspire people smarter than me to figure out what is happening here and what it would take to bring S1 up to a higher level.  Even if S1 isn't my primary DAW, I still plan to use it, and I'd sure like for it to sound as good as SONAR right out of the box.

DAW: SONAR Platinum Audio I/F: Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 gen2
OS: Windows 10 64-bit CPU: Haswell 4790 4.0 GHz, 4 core, 8 thread  Memory: 16 GB      Video: GTX-760Ti
Storage: Sandisk SSD 500GB for active projects. ReadyNAS 20 TB for long-term storage

sonocrafters.com
Jeff Evans
Re: Comparing Sonar with Studio One 2017/12/17 04:20:06 (permalink)
Sylvan
Hey guys, you aren't going to believe this, but I found a way to make Test 3 null!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I can't believe it. Yes, you heard correctly. I was able to get SONAR and Studio One to null on the test 3 with the kick at 0, snare at -8, and overheads at -13.

Here is how I did it...

1. As suggested by azslow3, I manually typed in the values in both SONAR and Studio One.

2. I changed the Pan Law in SONAR to match the Pan Law in Studio One. (Apparently using the plugin to change the Pan Law in Studio One doesn't work.) That begs the question: Is there a real way to change the Pan Law in Studio One? I would like to test changing the Pan Law in Studio One to match that of SONAR to confirm that a null will work that way too. Can someone suggest a reliable way to change the Pan Law in Studio One that actually works?

3. Removed all dithering from both DAWs (I am not sure that this would have really mattered either way.)

So, my conclusions...

sonarman1 was #$@& right! It did have something to do with the Pan Law, even though panning was not being used. Something in the way each DAW handles stereo tracks or something... I didn't figure this out right away because when I tried sonarman1's suggestion about Pan Law, I tried to change Studio One's Pan Law, which seems to be very difficult to do. I hope it is possible though. I still want to confirm that these two monster DAWs can null going the other way. But changing Pan Law in SONAR is easy, so I tried it...and it worked!!!!

Also, slight variations do matter as azslow3 pointed out. Typing in exact values I feel made a difference in getting a null. 

Jeff Evans is also right. However, due to default settings inherent to each DAW, out of the box, there will be differences in sound. It is a bit of a job, but if you configure all settings appropriately, these DAWs will indeed pass the null test. Jeff was right about that. Studio One does make it a bit difficult to change some settings. I wish it were a bit easier.

So in conclusion, out of the box, there are sound differences, but that is due to some default settings. If configured exactly the same, the will put out exactly the same audio result, as Jeff Evans pointed out.

So, as I eat a little humble pie... Jeff, please accept my apology. I was so passionate about this and had a driving need to see it through. I really wanted the results to null from the beginning and it was really bothering me that I could not get them to null. I had spent my money on a product (Studio One) and wanted to feel like I was getting just as quality of a tool as I had in SONAR. The fact that I could not get a null was gnawing at me. I wanted to see the hard evidence, the science if you will, behind it and know that it was so. I wasn't getting that so I had to keep pushing. I am so glad I did because now I feel a whole lot better about Studio One.

I still would like to see some improvements in some areas of course, but that is for another thread in another place. This was the big issue I needed to get past.

A thank you to sonarman1, azslow3, and Jeff Evans on shaping this journey and seeing it through.

Anyone out there considering Studio One and wondering if it can null with SONAR, it can. I have made sure to satisfy that question.

Edit: I would also like to thank CW3948368110 and sharke. Your help was also invaluable in this. Thank you.

To cparmerlee you have missed this I am afraid.  In the end Sylvan got the null happening and has realised that all his initial impressions were not so in the end.

In pure summing mode all DAW's are basically the same and Studio One is no different.  If you are getting a lesser result in Studio One it is because you are not using your ears, your plugins properly and just generally not getting a great sound, all due to your own limitations.  Studio One sounds as good as any DAW out there. No matter what it is. It is up to you to get the result. 

Specs i5-2500K 3.5 Ghz - 8 Gb RAM - Win 7 64 bit - ATI Radeon HD6900 Series - RME PCI HDSP9632 - Steinberg Midex 8 Midi interface - Faderport 8- Studio One V4 - iMac 2.5Ghz Core i5 - Sierra 10.12.6 - Focusrite Clarett thunderbolt interface 

Poor minds talk about people, average minds talk about events, great minds talk about ideas -Eleanor Roosevelt
losguy
Max Output Level: -20 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5506
Re: Comparing Sonar with Studio One 2017/12/17 04:43:05 (permalink)
Great work Sylvan, azslow3 and others at achieving Null and finding how to get there. The typing-in of fader positions was brilliant, and I must admit I did not see that coming. I had suspected that Panning Laws were at play, and thanks to you guys, I'm very glad to know that's what was going on  - and not something worse.

I hope that the SO3 guys do add selectable Panning Laws like SONAR did. I've kind of gotten used to the the sound of 0 dB sin/cos taper - it's weird, but it really is more punchy!

It might also be cool to add Programmable Panning Laws, say giving you control over the "sharpness" of the taper and the dB overlap in the middle, with presets that you could apply for each channel. (Maybe something like this plug offers, but built in for convenience.)

Psalm 30:12
All pure waves converge at the Origin
losguy
Max Output Level: -20 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5506
Re: Comparing Sonar with Studio One 2017/12/17 04:55:56 (permalink)
@Jeff, absolutely, though it may be helpful to stress that in cross-testing, Null is achieved only if SONAR is set to the same Panning Law as SO (-3 dB IIRC?). But of course, in the end, we should be using our ears to achieve the level of Left and Right we need on each and every channel. And now we know, as you say, that SO as a summing/mixing tool is no different than any other DAW.

Psalm 30:12
All pure waves converge at the Origin
cparmerlee
Re: Comparing Sonar with Studio One 2017/12/17 06:06:03 (permalink)
Jeff Evans
To cparmerlee you have missed this I am afraid.  In the end Sylvan got the null happening and has realised that all his initial impressions were not so in the end.

I did miss that.  Thanks for putting me on track.
Jeff Evans 
In pure summing mode all DAW's are basically the same and Studio One is no different.  If you are getting a lesser result in Studio One it is because you are not using your ears, your plugins properly and just generally not getting a great sound, all due to your own limitations.  Studio One sounds as good as any DAW out there. No matter what it is. It is up to you to get the result. 

No, that does not follow, or at least I don't follow your line of logic.  It seems to me that Sylvan showed that out of the box, the results are considerably different.  The differences may be explained by settings, which is reassuring.  But I found the sound qualitatively better in SONAR.

If you are saying that had I changed the S1 panning law (which I didn't even know existed, and which apparently can't be changed in S1 anyway), then it would have matched SONAR exactly, I trust that is correct.

OS: Windows 10 64-bit CPU: Haswell 4790 4.0 GHz, 4 core, 8 thread  Memory: 16 GB      Video: GTX-760Ti
Storage: Sandisk SSD 500GB for active projects. ReadyNAS 20 TB for long-term storage

sonocrafters.com
Jeff Evans
Re: Comparing Sonar with Studio One 2017/12/17 06:19:46 (permalink)
Pan laws can be changed by inserting the Dual Pan plugin.  On tracks the pan law is fixed at -3 dB. (Unless you insert Dual Pan) To be honest I have found the standard pan laws to be perfectly fine.

Final mix sound quality is no better in Sonar than any other DAW. (I have owned a few and produced significant projects in many DAW's in fact. Cubase, Logic, Sonar, Pro Tools and now Studio One) Results for me are always the same. I hear how I want it to end up and it always gets there.

To imply that better results are possible in Sonar than other DAW's is simply not true.  Final sound quality depends on you. People need to let go of the concept that one DAW sounds better than another.  It is a very tired old argument. 

Jeff Evans
Re: Comparing Sonar with Studio One 2017/12/17 06:35:25 (permalink)
Great engineer plus any DAW = great results
Ordinary engineer plus any DAW = ordinary results

The stock plugins will be the most obvious thing that will separate DAW's sound wise.  Plus built in things like console emulators etc. Third party plugins will sound the same in any DAW.
You are choosing a DAW for its features and workflow. Not for its sound. 
I have even nulled tracks mixed in Mixbus (with no saturation or any processing applied) and Studio One. Meaning that even Mixbus is adding no special sauce. The Mixbus sound is coming from everything else.

ljb500
Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 51
Re: Comparing Sonar with Studio One 2017/12/17 08:24:29 (permalink)
I'm really liking s1 so far, im finding it suits my workflow and needs better than sonar.
Things like audio bend, sending to sample one or dropping slices in impact is some of the simple functionality and integration sonar was missing out of the box imo.

In comparison Sonar appears very set in its ways and long winded when carrying out the same simple tasks.
Jeff Evans
Re: Comparing Sonar with Studio One 2017/12/17 09:26:21 (permalink)
ljb500
In comparison Sonar appears very set in its ways and long winded when carrying out the same simple tasks.

Yes with many things.  Like Aux tracks for example.  Somehow Studio One provides similar functionality without needing them.  Just allowing a buss to be able to act as an input source to an audio track is all it takes.  Things like allowing you to grab that gain handle on an audio event and change it.  Gain is added or subtracted right there and the waveform changes to reflect that. (with care you can easily match events rms levels by eye)  No need for gain or trim controls in the channel.  That same functionality is provided elsewhere.

ljb500
Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 51
Re: Comparing Sonar with Studio One 2017/12/17 13:01:39 (permalink)
Jeff Evans
ljb500

Yes with many things.  Like Aux tracks for example.  Somehow Studio One provides similar functionality without needing them.  Just allowing a buss to be able to act as an input source to an audio track is all it takes.  Things like allowing you to grab that gain handle on an audio event and change it.  Gain is added or subtracted right there and the waveform changes to reflect that. (with care you can easily match events rms levels by eye)  No need for gain or trim controls in the channel.  That same functionality is provided elsewhere.

I was pleasantly surprised with it, haven't even had to look at the manual or watch any vids yet.
fitzj
Max Output Level: -61 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1487
Re: Comparing Sonar with Studio One 2017/12/17 13:11:46 (permalink)
A plugin does this in presonus. it's set at -3.
cparmerlee
Re: Comparing Sonar with Studio One 2017/12/17 15:22:16 (permalink)
Jeff Evans
Like Aux tracks for example. 

I never got aux tracks.  It seemed like they went to a whole lot of work to develop a feature that didn't really add anything you couldn't easily do already.

sonocrafters.com
sonarman1
Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 255
Re: Comparing Sonar with Studio One 2017/12/19 11:37:21 (permalink)

But I am on Cubase now.

Well I don't think you can be more secure with cubase than S1. S1 is doing very good in hardware sales than Steinberg. They bring in more revenue than software. Even if you consider only the software S1 is doing very good for a new daw. What changes will happen in the daw market after 5years you will never know.
Page: << < ..6789 > Showing page 8 of 9
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1