Customization or the lack thereof.

Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 5 of 6
Author
John T
Max Output Level: -7.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 6783
Re:Customization or the lack thereof. 2011/01/08 23:23:12 (permalink)
nighthadfallen

Lynn,
I totally agree with you.  I think a reasonable level of compromise is appropriate.  I'm baffled though by the level of animosity in the forum.

I think I understand it, actually, or am starting to. It's essentially a macho posture. It appeals to some people's self image to elevate every "Hmm, that isn't how I'd like it" to a "YOU CAN'T SCREW WITH ME! I'LL TAKE THE MONEY I'D HAVE PAID YOU AND SET IT ON FIRE IN FRONT OF YOUR ACCOUNTS STAFF, SEE HOW YOU LIKE IT!"

Internet keyboard warrior stuff, basically.

http://johntatlockaudio.com/
Self-build PC // 16GB RAM // i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz // Nofan 0dB cooler // ASUS P8-Z77 V Pro motherboard // Intel x-25m SSD System Drive // Seagate RAID Array Audio Drive // Windows 10 64 bit // Sonar Platinum (64 bit) // Sonar VS-700 // M-Audio Keystation Pro 88 // KRK RP-6 Monitors // and a bunch of other stuff
Lynn
Max Output Level: -14 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 6117
Re:Customization or the lack thereof. 2011/01/08 23:26:52 (permalink)
nighthadfallen

Actually, you own nothing more than the right to use the software until they tell you you can't, but that really isn't the question.    Well, we can leave that moot point in the hands of lawyers and philosophers.

Unfortunately for you 10Ten, your love will remain unrequited.  So, post as many love letters as you like (cleverly disguised as disgust), but Cakewalk is bigger than you and your lovely requests.  She doesn't need you.  Sorry, can't help myself.  lol.

Actually, I doubt that CW or many companies are bigger than the sum of their parts.  That's just our egos talking.  I feel that CW has always listened to their customers, and I hope they continue to do so.  You can't be thin skinned if you want to stay in business for long in this competitive world.

All the best,
Lynn

my songs
www.soundclick.com/lynnwilson

www.youtube.com/lywilson
my videos

Cakewalk by Bandlab| Sonar Platinum @ 64bits| i7 860 | 8 gigs ram | W10 @ 64 bits | RME FF 400
nighthadfallen
Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 118
Re:Customization or the lack thereof. 2011/01/08 23:26:53 (permalink)
I think I understand it, actually, or am starting to. It's essentially a macho posture. It appeals to some people's self image to elevate every "Hmm, that isn't how I'd like it" to a "YOU CAN'T SCREW WITH ME! I'LL TAKE THE MONEY I'D HAVE PAID YOU AND SET IT ON FIRE IN FRONT OF YOUR ACCOUNTS STAFF, SEE HOW YOU LIKE IT!" 

I actually don't know what that means.  I've read it a couple of times too.
Max Output Level: -25.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4951
Re:Customization or the lack thereof. 2011/01/08 23:27:06 (permalink)
John T

nighthadfallen

Lynn,
I totally agree with you.  I think a reasonable level of compromise is appropriate.  I'm baffled though by the level of animosity in the forum.

What is strange is that people on my side of the fence talk about Cakewalk and Sonar. Your side talks about my side, and not about Sonar. Why is that?

John T
Re:Customization or the lack thereof. 2011/01/08 23:28:10 (permalink)
I wasn't aware I was on a side.

Self-build PC // 16GB RAM // i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz // Nofan 0dB cooler // ASUS P8-Z77 V Pro motherboard // Intel x-25m SSD System Drive // Seagate RAID Array Audio Drive // Windows 10 64 bit // Sonar Platinum (64 bit) // Sonar VS-700 // M-Audio Keystation Pro 88 // KRK RP-6 Monitors // and a bunch of other stuff
Re:Customization or the lack thereof. 2011/01/08 23:29:15 (permalink)
John T

How silly of me.
John T
Re:Customization or the lack thereof. 2011/01/08 23:30:09 (permalink)
Well, somewhat, yeah.

yorolpal
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 13829
Re:Customization or the lack thereof. 2011/01/08 23:30:17 (permalink)
When do you get your cast off?

https://soundcloud.com/doghouse-riley/tracks 
https://doghouseriley1.bandcamp.com 
Where you come from is gone...where you thought you were goin to weren't never there...and where you are ain't no good unless you can get away from it.

SPLAT 64 bit running on a Studio Cat Pro System Win 10 64bit 2.8ghz Core i7 with 24 gigs ram. MOTU Audio Express.
Lynn
Re:Customization or the lack thereof. 2011/01/08 23:31:33 (permalink)
John T

10Ten

John T

nighthadfallen

Lynn,

What is strange is that people on my side of the fence talk about Cakewalk and Sonar. Your side talks about my side, and not about Sonar. Why is that?

So, what do you all think about customization or the lack thereof?  I think I missed your answers somewhere along the way.

All the best,
Lynn

my songs

www.youtube.com/lywilson
my videos

Cakewalk by Bandlab| Sonar Platinum @ 64bits| i7 860 | 8 gigs ram | W10 @ 64 bits | RME FF 400
John T
Re:Customization or the lack thereof. 2011/01/08 23:31:44 (permalink)
Not for ages, but I am mostly back to normal in any terms that count. So yes, this is what I'm like all the time.

John T
Re:Customization or the lack thereof. 2011/01/08 23:35:08 (permalink)
Lynn

John T

10Ten

John T

nighthadfallen

Lynn,

So, what do you all think about customization or the lack thereof?  I think I missed your answers somewhere along the way.

I think it's the kind of thing that's very important to people who, um, it's important to, but I suspect that that's a minority. Given that X1 actually contains a lot of customisation, I don't think it's a feature that's been retired or anything, but I'd be surprised if it was a particularly high priority. I imagine it will evolve slowly, as it did with the old GUI. I could be wrong of course.

yorolpal
Re:Customization or the lack thereof. 2011/01/08 23:35:12 (permalink)
Oh I already had that figured out.  I just remember when I was in the fifth grade and broke my right arm I got chicken pox three weeks into my cast wearin and that there was plum miserable, I can tell ya.  So, we're in for the long haul are we?

Where you come from is gone...where you thought you were goin to weren't never there...and where you are ain't no good unless you can get away from it.

SPLAT 64 bit running on a Studio Cat Pro System Win 10 64bit 2.8ghz Core i7 with 24 gigs ram. MOTU Audio Express.
nighthadfallen
Re:Customization or the lack thereof. 2011/01/08 23:35:36 (permalink)
Actually, I doubt that CW or many companies are bigger than the sum of their parts.  That's just our egos talking.  I feel that CW has always listened to their customers, and I hope they continue to do so.  You can't be thin skinned if you want to stay in business for long in this competitive world. 

Of course your right Lynn, but I think you have to, at some point, grow some balls (pardon the expression) and go with your own vision of what something should be.  That's kind of what I respect about the German software companies.  They know what the f---k they're doing and they have a modest disregard for their choir.  Ironically, I like their software less.  Although I love their synths and drum machines.  
Re:Customization or the lack thereof. 2011/01/08 23:36:18 (permalink)
Lynn

John T

10Ten

John T

nighthadfallen

Lynn,

If you're talking to me (and it's hard to tell if you don't edit the quotes) I don't like the fact that I am more clicks away from things that I used to be able to to see. In previous versions the toolset has been very customizable. Other than the things that are just broken, I want my tools back and things like the track header to have the things it used to have. There is a lot of dissent on this release. Cake need to listen to users and let us have options.
John T
Re:Customization or the lack thereof. 2011/01/08 23:39:01 (permalink)
yorolpal

Oh I already had that figured out.  I just remember when I was in the fifth grade and broke my right arm I got chicken pox three weeks into my cast wearin and that there was plum miserable, I can tell ya.  So, we're in for the long haul are we?

About another five weeks or so. But, you know, glass half full. I do a lot of my work from home, and the office I have to go to when I can't is ten minutes walk away. Got lots of friends living nearby and stuff, and not in any pain. It's a bit inconvenient, that's all. It's going to take as long as it takes, no point sulking about it.

I think I might be right on the cusp of a relevant metaphor here....

Re:Customization or the lack thereof. 2011/01/08 23:41:26 (permalink)
John T

yorolpal

About another five weeks or so. But, you know, glass half full. I do a lot of my work from home, and the office I have to go to when I can't is ten minutes walk away. Got lots of friends living nearby and stuff, and not in any pain. It's a bit inconvenient, that's all. It's going to take as long as it takes, no point sulking about it.

I think I might be right on the cusp of a relevant metaphor here....

Yep. You're efforting to fix your arm and some of us are efforting to fix Sonar. I guess you could have given up and just accepted that you had a broken arm and just been happy about it, but I believe that you made the right decision is trying to fix it.
Lynn
Re:Customization or the lack thereof. 2011/01/08 23:43:02 (permalink)
10Ten

Lynn

John T

10Ten

John T

nighthadfallen

Lynn,

If you're talking to me (and it's hard to tell if you don't edit the quotes) I don't like the fact that I am more clicks away from things that I used to be able to to see. In previous versions the toolset has been very customizable. Other than the things that are just broken, I want my tools back and things like the track header to have the things it used to have. There is a lot of dissent on this release. Cake need to listen to users and let us have options.

That's what I'm talking about.  I wasn't talking to you in particular, but to all of you because our goal is to get CW to listen to us.  Right?  Let's remember that we're all in this to make music.  Thank you all for taking the time to care.
Lynn

All the best,
Lynn

my songs

www.youtube.com/lywilson
my videos

yorolpal
Re:Customization or the lack thereof. 2011/01/08 23:44:01 (permalink)
Five weeks, eh?  I aint' sure I got that much popcorn and milk duds.  Shoot.

nighthadfallen
Re:Customization or the lack thereof. 2011/01/08 23:49:43 (permalink)
I'm gunna fix Soner rite.  I jist need a little monee and sum no how.  I'll have hur strait in no tyme flatt.  Lyke howe evereeone wunts her ta bee.
yorolpal
Re:Customization or the lack thereof. 2011/01/08 23:56:37 (permalink)
You have absolutely no clue how to write in southern hillbilly dialect.  The above is nothing short of an abomination.  I'll be glad to help you if you'd actually like to learn.  But I doubt that pedagogy is your forte and virtuosity in this endeavor is self-evidently beyond your grasp.  Still,  I've heard you need a swine to show you where truffles are; so you might be able to unwittingly unearth a gem or two...who knows?
post edited by yorolpal - 2011/01/09 00:01:28

Lynn
Re:Customization or the lack thereof. 2011/01/08 23:57:35 (permalink)
nighthadfallen

I'm gunna fix Soner rite.  I jist need a little monee and sum no how.  I'll have hur strait in no tyme flatt.  Lyke howe evereeone wunts her ta bee.

This is my all time favorite response.  Thank you for sharing that with us.  If I could, I'd invest in you.

All the best,
Lynn

my songs

www.youtube.com/lywilson
my videos

yorolpal
Re:Customization or the lack thereof. 2011/01/08 23:59:07 (permalink)
Oh my, a confederacy of dunces!

nighthadfallen
Re:Customization or the lack thereof. 2011/01/08 23:59:36 (permalink)
I wasn't making fun of you yorolpal.  God, I can't believe you thought that!  I have a high regard for everything you post and you are one of the forum members, among a few other, who I actually listen to.  Sorry for the confusion.  I often talk like that to my friends as just a form of juvenile comedy.  Sorry again!
yorolpal
Re:Customization or the lack thereof. 2011/01/09 00:03:26 (permalink)
No probs, ol pal.  It's just that if you ARE Jethro Bodine-like, like me,  you get a little touchy when folks try to "speak-yor-lingo":-)
post edited by yorolpal - 2011/01/09 00:06:40

nighthadfallen
Re:Customization or the lack thereof. 2011/01/09 00:12:31 (permalink)
Thanks yorolpal.  I find your posts to be very well balanced and I've been enjoying the sobriety of them (much more so than my own).  Grace with age, I suppose.

yorolpal
Re:Customization or the lack thereof. 2011/01/09 00:16:10 (permalink)
Oh heck no, you just quit caring what anybody thinks the older you get.  You'll say anything...to anybody.  You just don't give a rat's ass anymore.  You'll enjoy it...just keep livin and you'll see what I mean. 

nighthadfallen
Re:Customization or the lack thereof. 2011/01/09 00:21:31 (permalink)
I'm looking forward to it!  And Sonar God Theorem or whatever it'll be called.
Positively Charged
Max Output Level: -76 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 744
Re:Customization or the lack thereof. 2011/01/09 01:02:50 (permalink)
Five pages already!

When it's all over, somebody just tell me who won the argument.  Or not.  I really don't care...

P.S.  MacDonald's is awful.  The analogy is not lost on me, however...and this might not be a good thing.  Ugh.
nighthadfallen
Re:Customization or the lack thereof. 2011/01/09 01:06:36 (permalink)
I think when it's all over, the winner will be our bandwidth providers.
HumbleNoise
Max Output Level: -46 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2946
Re:Customization or the lack thereof. 2011/01/09 01:11:55 (permalink)
I just wanna customize this forum software - or not. What are the relative merits of a forum software that is customizable versus a standard or a....oh never mind.

Humbly Yours

Larry

Sonar X2 x64
MAudio 2496
Yamaha MG 12/4
Roland XV-88
Intel MB with Q6600 and 4 GB Ram
NVidia 9800 GTX
Windows 7 x64 Home Premium
Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 5 of 6
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1