Page: 12345.. > >> Showing page 1 of 6
Author
Dave Modisette
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 11050
2011/01/07 22:48:10 (permalink)

Customization or the lack thereof.

Standardization - is it a bad thing?

I remember learning how to make my first MacDonald's Cheesburger.  The first day of the job, I was the "dressing" guy.  As the bun (the crown, I learned) came off the grill two dozen to a tray, I was to take the mustard squirter and give it one pull of the trigger and three yellow dots of mustard would be applied to the bun.  Then I was instructed to take the Ketchup squirter and one shot of red sauce was applied.  Then precisely one pickle slice dead center.  After that, one slice of cheese placed evenly on the bun.  Every time, precisely in that order.

Well of course I had to express why does it matter what order I do this?  It's all going down the same hole eventually.

It was standardization.  And when three teen age guys were working as a team, you had to be able to see where the team was at in the production of a cheeseburger and be able to jump in at the next step in order to feed that long line of folks at the serving window.

Has anyone here ever have to teach someone SONAR?  I mean there are at least three ways to approach every task.   I've taught a couple of guys (paid) the ins and outs of SONAR and I know what the faster ways to do things are but if you are going to get to the same end, is it like mustard then ketchup then pickle then cheese?

Do all these various paths ultimately lead to clutter and disorganization as a legitimate complaint?  Will a lack of customization actually be better for someone in the long run if "production of a finished product" is the main concern?

I think that the reorganization of some of the menus are actually forcing me to improve.  I know some are mouse-centric but I think the more you become QWERTY keyboard proficient the more work you will get done.

Sure, I'd like to be able to customize some things myself.  Colors for example.  But mainly so that I can read certain labels or help bring my eye to certain items in the Track View.

Is a lean, mean GUI more efficient?  And more professional in appearance?  I'm sure there will be differing views of this.

Dave Modisette ... rocks a Purrrfect Audio Studio Pro rig.

http://www.gatortraks.com 
My music.
... And of course, the Facebook page. 

152 Replies Related Threads

yorolpal
    • Total Posts : 13829
    Re:Customization or the lack thereof. 2011/01/07 22:54:29 (permalink)
    Sonar is not the hamburger...Sonar is the kitchen in which the hamburger is cooked.  And as such needs to be able to cook whatever the H-E-DOUBLE-HOCKEYSTICKS kind of burger I want.  Of course I say that with love.

https://soundcloud.com/doghouse-riley/tracks 
    https://doghouseriley1.bandcamp.com 
    Where you come from is gone...where you thought you were goin to weren't never there...and where you are ain't no good unless you can get away from it.

SPLAT 64 bit running on a Studio Cat Pro System Win 10 64bit 2.8ghz Core i7 with 24 gigs ram. MOTU Audio Express.
    nighthadfallen
    Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 118
    Re:Customization or the lack thereof. 2011/01/07 23:04:34 (permalink)
    I bet if you could do an accurate poll of the total number of Sonar users, you would find, overwhelmingly they prefer the new look and functionality.  It wreaks of modern aesthetics and efficiency.  Thank God.  
    daveny5
    • Total Posts : 16934
    Re:Customization or the lack thereof. 2011/01/07 23:13:21 (permalink)
    I think standardization is good for some things, but not others. I think its good for hardware to be standardized otherwise disk drives wouldn't all fit in the cases or rack modules wouldn't fit in the racks. Windows was an attempt to standardize the computer interface so that all programs had a similar look and feel. So in that sense, Sonar is standardized. However, creating software is an art and not a science. I get annoyed when people refer to the Sonar programmers as bakers. They are not bakers. If anything they are cooks because as everyone know, baking is a science, but cooking is an art. Baking requires you to follow a specific formula in order to get the desired result. You can't just throw a pinch of this and a pinch of that in a bread dough or you might not wind up with a loaf of bread. So the cooks that created X1 decided that now was the time to change how the Sonar GUI operated. They changed the recipe. We still have a recording and sequencing program, but now its got a different flavor. 

I think they made these changes with a look to the future. Sonar has always been on the bleeding edge. Sonar was one of the first 64-bit programs. It was also one of the first Windows 7 certified programs. In time we will get used to it and a year from now people will be saying they don't know how they ever used that tired old Sonar 8 interface. 

Dave
    Computer: Intel i7, ASROCK H170M, 16GB/5TB+, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, Sonar Platinum, TASCAM US-16x08, Cakewalk UM-3G MIDI I/F
    Instruments: SL-880 Keyboard controller, Korg 05R/W, Korg N1R, KORG Wavestation EX
    Axes: Fender Stratocaster, Line6 Variax 300, Ovation Acoustic, Takamine Nylon Acoustic, Behringer GX212 amp, Shure SM-58 mic, Rode NT1 condenser mic.
    Outboard: Mackie 1402-VLZ mixer, TC Helicon VoiceLive 2, Digitech Vocalist WS EX, PODXTLive, various stompboxes and stuff. 
    Controllers: Korg nanoKONTROL, Wacom Bamboo Touchpad
    Keebo
    Max Output Level: -79 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 576
    Re:Customization or the lack thereof. 2011/01/07 23:20:43 (permalink)
    daveny5

I think standardization is good for some things, but not others. I think its good for hardware to be standardized otherwise disk drives wouldn't all fit in the cases or rack modules wouldn't fit in the racks. Windows was an attempt to standardize the computer interface so that all programs had a similar look and feel. So in that sense, Sonar is standardized. However, creating software is an art and not a science. I get annoyed when people refer to the Sonar programmers as bakers. They are not bakers. If anything they are cooks because as everyone know, baking is a science, but cooking is an art. Baking requires you to follow a specific formula in order to get the desired result. You can't just throw a pinch of this and a pinch of that in a bread dough or you might not wind up with a loaf of bread. So the cooks that created X1 decided that now was the time to change how the Sonar GUI operated. They changed the recipe. We still have a recording and sequencing program, but now its got a different flavor. 

I think they made these changes with a look to the future. Sonar has always been on the bleeding edge. Sonar was one of the first 64-bit programs. It was also one of the first Windows 7 certified programs. In time we will get used to it and a year from now people will be saying they don't know how they ever used that tired old Sonar 8 interface. 

+1

I think that customization is a good thing and I hope that they will bring back more for us to customize ourselves to fit our own cooking needs.

Sonar X2 Producer 64 bit
    Sonar X1 Producer Expanded 64 bit
    Sonar 8.5.3 Producer 32/64 bit
    Windows 7 64 bit
    keneds
    Max Output Level: -76 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 725
    Re:Customization or the lack thereof. 2011/01/07 23:29:52 (permalink)
    Dave, You forgot the onions. That's the problem.

SONAR Platinum  
    Dell XPS17 /  External 23" touch screen & 22" HP displays/Windows 10 64bit i5 processor/  
    8Gb ram/500GB (7200rpm SATA HD)/Roland VS-700 set/KRK rockit 6/KRK 10" sub and a bunch of cables
    EZdrummer2 / EZmix2

Dave Modisette
    • Total Posts : 11050
    Re:Customization or the lack thereof. 2011/01/07 23:34:52 (permalink)
    keneds

Dave, You forgot the onions. That's the problem.

Nah, the meat guy handled that.  24 patties with the chopped onions went down at a time.

Dave Modisette ... rocks a Purrrfect Audio Studio Pro rig.

http://www.gatortraks.com 
    My music.
    ... And of course, the Facebook page. 
    Lynn
    Max Output Level: -14 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 6117
    Re:Customization or the lack thereof. 2011/01/07 23:40:53 (permalink)
    yorolpal

Sonar is not the hamburger...Sonar is the kitchen in which the hamburger is cooked.  And as such needs to be able to cook whatever the H-E-DOUBLE-HOCKEYSTICKS kind of burger I want.  Of course I say that with love.

+1

All the best,
    Lynn

my songs
    www.soundclick.com/lynnwilson

www.youtube.com/lywilson
    my videos

Cakewalk by Bandlab| Sonar Platinum @ 64bits| i7 860 | 8 gigs ram | W10 @ 64 bits | RME FF 400
    DeeS
    Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 228
    Re:Customization or the lack thereof. 2011/01/07 23:44:16 (permalink)
    What if I don't like onions?

Vista Business x64 Service pack 2 - Intel Xeon X5472 @ 3.0 GHz processors (2) Quad Core - 8.0 GB ram  -  Creative SB X-Fi  -  Nvidia Quadro 5600  -  Sonar 8.5 & X1a Producer
    The problem with perfection is that it has no limits. Normally, once you obtain perfection, you realize how it could be better. David Gibson - The Art of Mixing
    rbowser
    Max Output Level: -10 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 6518
    Re:Customization or the lack thereof. 2011/01/08 00:32:28 (permalink)
    hmmmmmmmmm.  Well, if we were cranking out tasteless quasi-food items which are supposed to be all the same, then we'd only need things like those handy mustard squirters.  But we're making music, and of all different sorts.  What tools we want and need depends on the kind of music we're making, and we're the best judges of what the tools should be.  That's why the greater customization available prior to X1 was more suited to the real-world situation of people needing to have control over their interfaces, rather than the other way around.

Randy B.

Sonar X3e Studio
    Roland A-800 MIDI keyboard controller
    Alesis i|O2 interface
    Gigabyte Technology-AMD Phenom II @ 3 GHz
    8 Gb RAM 6 Core Windows 7 Home Premium x64
    with dual monitors
    Rus W
    Max Output Level: -80 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 541
    Re:Customization or the lack thereof. 2011/01/08 01:17:00 (permalink)
    *Ahem* You're welcome! 

Seriously, you pose a good question.

But there are two ways to look at this:

Let's compare 8.5's GUI to X1 (whether you own the products or not is irrelevant)

For those that have never used the former program (myself included) may be intimidated by that "professional" looking GUI. For argument's sake, I will say take if a professional jumped from S1-X1, who feel intimidated; however, he'd take time to learn it to alleviate the intimidation. Even the simplest programs whether it be in looks or functionality (CW lower end products), may be intimidating.

1. It's kind of like looking at a mixer. (This isn't a shot at the CV) When starting out, many probably just manipulate the (master) volume fader cause it's right there. Expand it to a 24-48 track mixer and you'll have a hard time finding that one fader. If Robin doesn't mind, he said, when explaining about the TTS-1, that it's just ONE strip repeated multiple times. Many of us see this as trivial, but I'm trying to make a point.

Though a mixer is just repeated strips, imagine if the operator "customized" it. I don't just mean labeling each of the pots and pans (pun intended) on each strip? He/She would go crazy trying to etch all the labeling. Obviously, you can not reduce the quantity of strips on a physical mixer, but if the operator just made two modifications to each strip with the FULL mixer instead of the reciprocating amount given the inverse, hassle would be very little to non-existent.

It's the same with the now "consolidated" menus and with the "real-time" Smart Tool. I think where folks are frustrated is with not yet being acquainted with it. I'm sure Brandon played with it alot, despite knowing how it works and what he could do with it before he made the videos for us. New programs or new anything takes awhile to get used to.

2. With that aside, going back to the customized GUI: I understand the "you should want to make music, not rainbows" argument. This is like folks who listen to "complex" music (instrument count wise) saying that you don't need all that. They're right! You really only need one instrument, but then you get into if one can use it well or not. (I hope it doesn't get that way with software. "I use *DAW) better than you) However, you could say the same for classical piano music (you don't need to read a book to play a song), etc, etc.

If you think about it, even with the simplest of apps, you could still make music - like we still watched tv when we only had two colors - one, an absorption of all, the other, a reflection of all. Sure, no one is saying, go back to the former while we have the latter, but there are some that have and still watch in the former hue/saturation. Color or no color, you could still watch tv - unless something prevented that from happening.

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for customization, but if I can still make music without it.

The other side, is obviously for the familiarity! I'm not going to be one that says: "go back to a previous program that has it" as that is no different then the "A DAW is not s notation program" argument as with either they are saying "go to another program to get what you need or want." That it also another problem though.

As someone said: Sonar (Cakewalk) is trying to be everything to everybody (Audio/MIDI/Video/Notation) and we all know that that is near possible. Do I want some of the features improved? Yes, but why would I frustrate myself with a feature, like notation - in Sonar - which isn't up to par when I can use the specific apps (Selibus, Finale) using them in conjunction with Sonar. I mean, who would use a shovel to dig a massive hole when you can use a bulldozer? Both can move dirt, but which tool does it more efficiently though it is probably more complicated to use? As with the mixer, it'd be unwise to tear apart the bulldozer to just use the piece that does the shoveling when I could just as easily use the shovel.

Given this analogy, X1, though it took away the "non-vital" pieces, it kept the vital pieces. Buttons and levers I don't need use are gone, as I don't need but two anyway. One to turn the bulldozer on and off and one to operate the "shovel."

Then, there's that old saying: "Too much of a good thing ..." (in this case customization)

So is customization good or bad? It's neither, but do we wanna make rainbows or music? Besides, isn't standard music notation just two colors? It's more if you customize the highlighted notes to display rainbow colors or pront out the score in color; however, I doubt composers, musicians, performers read or write music in technicolor.
    rbowser
    Max Output Level: -10 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 6518
    Re:Customization or the lack thereof. 2011/01/08 01:31:28 (permalink)
    Pretty good stuff, Rus - At the end, about music notation being in just two colors--hmmm, but that's not music, that's just standardized notation.  We're talking about the world of creating music digitally where theoretically there are no boundaries to what it sounds like or ways in which to make it.

And - "...I doubt composers, musicians, performers read or write music in technicolor..." ---I'm pretty sure some great composers have both read and written music in technicolor that only they could see!

Randy B.

Sonar X3e Studio
    Roland A-800 MIDI keyboard controller
    Alesis i|O2 interface
    Gigabyte Technology-AMD Phenom II @ 3 GHz
    8 Gb RAM 6 Core Windows 7 Home Premium x64
    with dual monitors
    chrisharbin
    Max Output Level: -56.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1852
    Re:Customization or the lack thereof. 2011/01/08 01:41:27 (permalink)
    Mod Bod

Standardization - is it a bad thing?

I remember learning how to make my first MacDonald's Cheesburger.  The first day of the job, I was the "dressing" guy.  As the bun (the crown, I learned) came off the grill two dozen to a tray, I was to take the mustard squirter and give it one pull of the trigger and three yellow dots of mustard would be applied to the bun.  Then I was instructed to take the Ketchup squirter and one shot of red sauce was applied.  Then precisely one pickle slice dead center.  After that, one slice of cheese placed evenly on the bun.  Every time, precisely in that order.

Well of course I had to express why does it matter what order I do this?  It's all going down the same hole eventually.

It was standardization.  And when three teen age guys were working as a team, you had to be able to see where the team was at in the production of a cheeseburger and be able to jump in at the next step in order to feed that long line of folks at the serving window.

Has anyone here ever have to teach someone SONAR?  I mean there are at least three ways to approach every task.   I've taught a couple of guys (paid) the ins and outs of SONAR and I know what the faster ways to do things are but if you are going to get to the same end, is it like mustard then ketchup then pickle then cheese?

Do all these various paths ultimately lead to clutter and disorganization as a legitimate complaint?  Will a lack of customization actually be better for someone in the long run if "production of a finished product" is the main concern?

I think that the reorganization of some of the menus are actually forcing me to improve.  I know some are mouse-centric but I think the more you become QWERTY keyboard proficient the more work you will get done.

Sure, I'd like to be able to customize some things myself.  Colors for example.  But mainly so that I can read certain labels or help bring my eye to certain items in the Track View.

Is a lean, mean GUI more efficient?  And more professional in appearance?  I'm sure there will be differing views of this.

I think it is more efficient, yes qwerty is my god, but I can certainly relate to wanting it.............................wait for it..................."your" way

i7 860/MSI mobo/8GB ram/win7x64ultimate/X2/profire 610/oxygen 61/running 48k currently.
    DeeS
    Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 228
    Re:Customization or the lack thereof. 2011/01/08 01:43:18 (permalink)
    Actually I'm with you Randy. I would like some customization such as a floating Toolbar that can have the buttons I use the most put on it. You know like the SAVE button. I really can't believe that an action as critical as saving doesn't have a Button in the Control Panel.
    My hope is that we are at the beginning of a new design and such customization is following shortly. (fingers crossed)

Dee

Vista Business x64 Service pack 2 - Intel Xeon X5472 @ 3.0 GHz processors (2) Quad Core - 8.0 GB ram  -  Creative SB X-Fi  -  Nvidia Quadro 5600  -  Sonar 8.5 & X1a Producer
    The problem with perfection is that it has no limits. Normally, once you obtain perfection, you realize how it could be better. David Gibson - The Art of Mixing
    Rus W
    Re:Customization or the lack thereof. 2011/01/08 01:54:13 (permalink)
    rbowser

Pretty good stuff, Rus - At the end, about music notation being in just two colors--hmmm, but that's not music, that's just standardized notation.  We're talking about the world of creating music digitally where theoretically there are no boundaries to what it sounds like or ways in which to make it.

And - "...I doubt composers, musicians, performers read or write music in technicolor..." ---I'm pretty sure some great composers have both read and written music in technicolor that only they could see!

Randy B.
    I'm sure there are some that have done that, too, but that as you and the idea of this thread is pertaining to. Standardization. I used the hyperbole or misnomer to prove that point. And despite not giving a quantity of these people, I certainly did not mean all - I didn't use that at all because I thought it was a given that I was being slightly facetious. I would mind dabbling in some "Rainbow (Display) Music", but that's isn't me. I'm not knocking it though. 

I also realize the many avenues in which music is made, but there are people out there who still swear that rap is NOT music because it doesn't have the "traditional" or "standardized" elements among many other non-musical reasons. If this is true, what is a song because the "standard" def. is: "A poem with music behind it." It says nothing about the poem needing to be "sung." That isn't to say that people are "rapping" at poetry slams, but given what the standard definition of rapping is - despite it not being Enimem or Flo Rida. Heck, some singers "rap" while carrying a tune. Is this one, the other or both? (Not to be confused with the "sing/rap" style)

I'm not disagreeing with anything you said. I'm just saying how easily it is to blur things. Like I did, erroneously, but unintentionally with my previous comment you quoted.
    siris1977
    Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 187
    Re:Customization or the lack thereof. 2011/01/08 03:43:22 (permalink)
      if i had a daw that could record what i hear in my head, we would all be rich.. But, if we had a actual fully custom daw, it would take a month to set up and tweak and you would still find things you left out or only need once. I'm more dissiponted in the way cw hyped X1 up to something it wasn't yet. If it all worked and actually installed correctly the first time, and we all could fly around in X1 like brandon or seth, i'd say hell yeah put it on the cover of every mag on the isle. They had 2 years to tinker with it and master it like they did with 8.5. They knew it would be a ****fest before they released it. Intro college classes will tell you how people that get used to something dont like to change. Not outta fear, but out of "I am a professional with (8.5 for ex.), now no matter how good you were you no more experenced than the guy that just picked up X1 as his first daw". The learning curve may be less drastic, but the first time going from a hammer to a nail gun will make the best carpender look like a ground pounder.    
        I guess my point is people (especially those of us who make a living off making music) are good and confident with our tools. and one of the first rules I was tought back in the
     real to reel days was you have to perfect your craft over your tools. We all want to improve and we all want change for the better not just "change". If X1 was in working order and came with at least the option of paper or pdf., or take this d/l until we can send you this nice box set and manual, maybe correct all the 8.5 bugs, even the most stubburn of old timers might say "maybe they made the colors like this to encourage us to experiment with new ones.''  (imo) what pisses us repeat customers (home/pro audio9-X1) is having to start over AGAIN, and re-learn everything our motor memory still reaches for AND do it with a program that makes us feel like our first day with protools. A 50-50 shot at the daw working is a 50-50 shot at getting paid, not to mention the word of mouth those clients spred.  
        but the only workaround to that issue I can think of, is not to be so exclusive with DAW's anymore. I've been adding other DAW's VST plugs for a while now, and its worked out so far. Some anti-sonar people might say I'd like a blah blah plug-in like in fruity loops and i can open the fl plug up in sonar and keep us both happy.    
        It is starting to appear so far like CW wants to be the "jack of all trades, master of none" DAW people.  
            Don't get me wrong, I still love sonar, but X1 destroyed my confidence in my ability to produce a prodject for a paying customer to the best of my ability and on time.  I can honestly say I have actually done more in goldwave than i have in X1,a,asio.  That should embarrass the hell outta CW, cause it sure does it to me.  I love what X1 has potential to be but i'd without question take a refund if offered until I know it will run without crashing a 4month old quadcore. I feel like i just shot my dog saying all this but sonar will have to prove it's self next time before i burn another $99 (actualy$170 w/ printed guide and box set) like every other loyal sonar lover does. I still haven't got dem pro to work yet. might as well not even d/l that or the add. content file that says "you again?" every time i try to install.  Yes we can always go back to 8.5 but We paid for the wave of the future not the wave of the finger.  I really really don't want to have to conform to the pro----- standard of living but we more importantly can't go without work either. It's hard to charge by the hour when you cant spend the hour MAKING MUSIC insted of looking for workarounds. making music sound better is much harder when we dont know if our lack of X1 ability is the problem or if our lack of X1 stability.   I have to start a digital recording class tues. and I been trying to talk the dean into reclaiming the smaller, 20 machine lab and studio back to sonar but "the school dosen't have the budget to use one of our studio departments for beta programs".  Kinda speaks for it's self when a community college wont touch it. 
        Please CW I beg you. even if it delays the release,  please please make X1b count or im afraid all the progress sonar made to gaining the "industry standard" title since 7 will be lost and I start seeing sonar sitting beside music maker in walmart.. 

Phenom Quad core,  8gb ram, 3.5tb of Fine Music Storage Vault Under Armed Guard w/ UAV support (air-hog chopper), set of MA-15D, Delta 10-10 pci w/interface, m-box 3 pro, projectmix I/O, Metal Pop Filters, Two SKB cases Full of Suck Removal Buttons, Cedar Walls, Stripper Pole (helps with mastering & block priceing) more stuff i'm to lazy to add. ;)
    P.S. good Memory foam is freakin awesome. 
    siris1977
    Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 187
    Re:Customization or the lack thereof. 2011/01/08 03:47:15 (permalink)
    DeeS

Actually I'm with you Randy. I would like some customization such as a floating Toolbar that can have the buttons I use the most put on it. You know like the SAVE button. I really can't believe that an action as critical as saving doesn't have a Button in the Control Panel.
    My hope is that we are at the beginning of a new design and such customization is following shortly. (fingers crossed) 

My guess is they are trying to lead us to useing the auto save as primary and file-save here and there as needed.

Phenom Quad core,  8gb ram, 3.5tb of Fine Music Storage Vault Under Armed Guard w/ UAV support (air-hog chopper), set of MA-15D, Delta 10-10 pci w/interface, m-box 3 pro, projectmix I/O, Metal Pop Filters, Two SKB cases Full of Suck Removal Buttons, Cedar Walls, Stripper Pole (helps with mastering & block priceing) more stuff i'm to lazy to add. ;)
    P.S. good Memory foam is freakin awesome. 
    A1MixMan
    Max Output Level: -58 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1706
    Re:Customization or the lack thereof. 2011/01/08 04:06:37 (permalink)
    DeeS

Dee

A custom Control Bar module that has as many buttons on it as you want. Assign any keybinding or shortcut or menu item from any menu to a button. Have it your way! Or my way. Or his way. Or her way. Or their way. Or our way.

P.S. Thanks Mod Bod for bringing back high school memories that I "thought" I had long forgotten. I know what I'm gonna be dreaming about tonight. "Mustard first, ketchup second, pickle third, cheese forth...repeat" Henry Ford would have been proud.
    post edited by A1MixMan - 2011/01/08 04:08:43

A1
    Twigman
    Max Output Level: -38.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3667
    Re:Customization or the lack thereof. 2011/01/08 06:10:04 (permalink)
    nighthadfallen

efficiency.   

So hiding functions away on myriad menus that were previously easily accessible by the click of a mouse on a button right by where you are working is efficient, is it?

Someone needs to buy you a dictionary.

Become a Fan on Facebook
    Buy our stuff on iTunes
    Q9550-P5QL-E-8GB1066RAM-GT9800 1GB-RME HDSP9632-W7Prox64-X2x64
    mudgel
    • Total Posts : 12010
    Re:Customization or the lack thereof. 2011/01/08 06:50:45 (permalink)
    I really thought that the post SONAR 8.5.3 DAW was going to have an updated GUI but that it would be more user configurable. I'm not talking about colors (though that's important for differentiating tracks when you have a screen fil of tracks and or clips) but being able to create toolbars that I could tailor to my needs and usage pattersn - we discussed workflow improvements as far back as I remember.

Now X1's workflow improvements are just that for the person who's workflow is accomodated by the changes but the decreased flexibility in configuration options in X1 tells me I have to be working in someone elses workflow paterns not mine.

The current SONAR Helper (SX1H) project being implemented by benstat shows how a small change can have an enormous impact. Just by putting some recently dropped menu items back onto a simple and small toolbar has changed the landscape in favor of the user.

post edited by mudgel - 2011/01/08 06:58:17

Mike V. (MUDGEL)

STUDIO: Win 10 Pro x64, SPlat & CbB x64,
    PC: ASUS Z370-A, INTEL i7 8700k, 32GIG DDR4 2400, OC 4.7Ghz.
    Storage: 7 TB SATA III, 750GiG SSD & Samsung 500 Gig 960 EVO NVMe M.2.
    Monitors: Adam A7X, JBL 10” Sub.
    Audio I/O & DSP Server: DIGIGRID IOS & IOX.
    Screen: Raven MTi + 43" HD 4K TV Monitor.
    Keyboard Controller: Native Instruments Komplete Kontrol S88.
    subtlearts
    Max Output Level: -53.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2200
    Re:Customization or the lack thereof. 2011/01/08 07:47:26 (permalink)
    I haven't eaten anything from MacDonald's or any similar assembly-line fast-food kind of place for a long, long time, and I never worked for one either - but I remember someone telling me that the trick was to order a standard menu item with some arbitrary change, say no pickle or no mustard or onions or whatever; that meant that it had to be done right then, from the beginning, and you would get it fresh, instead of something that might or might not have been sitting in a delivery queue for 10 minutes. 

Not sure if this adds anything to the analogy, but I do notice that someone has started a project to add in some customizable 'solutions' to things that they miss in the new interface... and the word 'skinnable' has been used... 

edit: ahh, I see mudgel got there first, it was benstat's project that I was talking about

tobias tinker 
    music is easy: just start with complete silence, and take away the parts you don't like!
    tobiastinker.com
    aeosrecords.com
    soundfascination.com
    Sonar Platinum, a bunch of other stuff...
    Rus W
    Re:Customization or the lack thereof. 2011/01/08 07:51:22 (permalink)
    Twigman

nighthadfallen

efficiency.   

So hiding functions away on myriad menus that were previously easily accessible by the click of a mouse on a button right by where you are working is efficient, is it?

You could say the same for a cluttered desk or floor. Out of heaps and heaps of trash, I can find my Sonar X1 box, but I really don't wanna have to look for it in a messy environment either.

If one is used to finding things in a messy environment, one of two things:

a) they rather stay in that environment than stay in one that is cleaned up.

Sonar X1, while things appear to be hidden from view, it appears that X1 put everything in it's proper place. If, the user, is not motivated to go find what he or she looking for, that is not the maid's (Cake) fault when more than likely you would have had an easier time finding the box if your room was clean. I get the scavenger hunt thing, but I'm sure the same thing happened as the rooms (previous GUIs) became more cluttered. 

b) They are shocked and amazed at how clean it looks where everything is put in its place, but don't wanna do so when it's out of place after they are done using it.

Imagine if a program like MS Word, didn't consolidate its menus; if Windows never grouped windows - whether they be in the taskbar or Start Menu? You'd have alot of clutter. You'd have everything right in front of you, yes, but to someone else who sees it, would deem it a mess. Would he or she not? Would you not if you saw someone's else GUI/Screenset?

It's the idea that something has to look simple to be simple or look complicated (lots of nice shiny buttons) to be complicated to be a professional. I get how the DAW categories are made, but that's not the point as many can be professional using the most un-professional of software. Anybody can be a wiz at pushing buttons/sliders and turning knobs - the term professional only applies to those who really know there stuff, but they don't have to be using flagship software to prove it. I'm getting Producer, but not way will I ever call myself a professional user even if I get the most basic flavor or know the most advancde flavor like the back of my hand. Once I start to know what I am doing and hone in my skill with the program which will take oodles of time - but I might not even call myself such then.

I realize that alot of Pros are turned off by the "dumbing down" of software to appease the newcomers, but you the "professional" had to start with only a few buttons, did you not? Or if you had a lot of buttons, I doubt you tried to learn them all at once? Novices might do that now because they think it's cool, but it's certainly very stressful.

I probably will get annoyed with having to look for many functions I would like to use, but I'd rather sift through a miniscule pile than a massive landfill - even if I know where everything is in that landfill. DAWs are like everything else. Everything is right there in front of you, nobody bothers to look for things anymore. (Now, where are my damn keys? I probably should have kept each key separate instead of consolidating them. I still lose them, but at least I know they're together)

Honestly, it's as simple as "point & click" or a keystroke (combo). I doubt many of us use one or the other - solely!! As you said, not having "one-click" functions slows you down, but NOT having keystrokes may slow someone else down. Using one or the other solely will really slow you down if you think about it.

I do hear what you're saying and am not telling you to stifle it, but I really think the term efficiency was misused here and the poster didn't realize it. I believe he, she, and possibly Cake, like I in my example, were getting at visibility as workflow for some goes smoother without seeing all the stuff that would distract them. My desk has some things on it, but it's not enough to make me lose focus from typing whereas if I had a butt-load of stuff in front of me ... yet, to be quite honestly, I'd work more efficiently at a much cleaner desk than a messier one because I'm seeing what I need to see not what I don't. So, in that regarding you are also correct with what you said. The two go hand-in-hand. Like the video says: Everything you need. Nothing you don't. That can be taken alot of different ways, but when it comes to visibility and efficiency, they are spot on!!

Twig, I am by no means arguing with you. I hope you don't see it that way.
    John T
    Max Output Level: -7.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 6783
    Re:Customization or the lack thereof. 2011/01/08 08:02:14 (permalink)
    My own view on software design is that a customisable option is more often than not (but not always) a sign that something has been under-designed for its purpose. Like "Man, I can't figure out where these toolbars should go, let's give that problem to the user." It can often be the very opposite of user-friendliness.

I also find that a highly personalised workspace doesn't propagate well (this is more relevant to the standardisation point). For years now, I've done as few customisations as possible to the applications and OSes I use, which makes it easier for me to work somewhere else, or for someone to come in from outside and work with my set-ups.

http://johntatlockaudio.com/
    Self-build PC // 16GB RAM // i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz // Nofan 0dB cooler // ASUS P8-Z77 V Pro motherboard // Intel x-25m SSD System Drive // Seagate RAID Array Audio Drive // Windows 10 64 bit // Sonar Platinum (64 bit) // Sonar VS-700 // M-Audio Keystation Pro 88 // KRK RP-6 Monitors // and a bunch of other stuff
    Rothchild
    Max Output Level: -61 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1479
    Re:Customization or the lack thereof. 2011/01/08 08:26:47 (permalink)
    This (the burger) is a non sequitur analogy. It's like saying that you have one mix template and that all of your projects only use that template, that routing and those effects.

How many people are willing to bear the wrath of CJ and say that they always use the same effects and stick to the provided presets? (better still , always use the same number of tracks and the same instruments)

More customisation please, not less.

On a lighter note, this guy understands the rules of standardisation in a normal domestic kitchen: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4UQ6rFAGudY&feature=related (interested to know if this crosses the atlantic well?)

Child

post edited by Rothchild - 2011/01/08 08:33:37
    John T
    Re:Customization or the lack thereof. 2011/01/08 08:29:04 (permalink)
    Hang on. Customising the layout of the tools and actually using the capabilities of the tools are two entirely different things.

Self-build PC // 16GB RAM // i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz // Nofan 0dB cooler // ASUS P8-Z77 V Pro motherboard // Intel x-25m SSD System Drive // Seagate RAID Array Audio Drive // Windows 10 64 bit // Sonar Platinum (64 bit) // Sonar VS-700 // M-Audio Keystation Pro 88 // KRK RP-6 Monitors // and a bunch of other stuff
    John T
    Re:Customization or the lack thereof. 2011/01/08 08:33:03 (permalink)
    That actually is a non sequitur, by the way. "Non sequitur analogy" is a meaningless phrase.

Rothchild
    Max Output Level: -61 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1479
    Re:Customization or the lack thereof. 2011/01/08 08:41:12 (permalink)
    Well, sorry if you failed to understand me there John T. There was an argument presented by way of an analogy. The argument is non sequitur the analogy, you're right, is just an analogy.

Glad to see high standards are being maintained and you're providing your normal level of input to insightful, discursive, dialogue around here.

Child
    nighthadfallen
    Re:Customization or the lack thereof. 2011/01/08 08:41:22 (permalink)

nighthadfallen 

efficiency.    

I don't have to buy one.   www.dictionary.com.   But thanks for the education and the ad hominem!  

The Maillard Reaction
    • Total Posts : 31918
    Re:Customization or the lack thereof. 2011/01/08 08:49:33 (permalink)
    When someone mentions the standardization of Windows OS navigation it might be helpful to acknowledge that Millions of dollars were spent on focus groups and that the research was conducted scientifically so to avoid false conclusions that are the result for fashion or whims.

Apple does a great job too.

That is why we have soothing aquamarine screen displays, easy to read fonts, and contrast in the GUI employed specifically to draw the eye around the screen.

This is the result of science and 3000 years of 2d design experience rather than a dogmatic conformation to some fashionable vogue.

If Cakewalk doesn't want to provide good solid design as their best choice... then it should allow end users to provide good solid design for them selves.

best regards,
    mike
    post edited by mike_mccue - 2011/01/08 08:50:55

nighthadfallen
    Re:Customization or the lack thereof. 2011/01/08 08:58:59 (permalink)
    If Cakewalk doesn't want to provide good solid design as their best choice... then it should allow end users to provide good solid design for them selves.

It's a good design that needs tweaking.  I agree some of the color contrasts were odd choices (the mute and solo buttons on track layers for ex.), but these are, presumably, easy to remedy.  

This is the result of science and 3000 years of 2 design experience...

I like how you managed to somehow make cave drawings relevant to Sonar.

Page: 12345.. > >> Showing page 1 of 6
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1