Dimension @ 96Khz/24bit - pitch wheel causes meters to shoot up to +99.9

Page: < 12345 > Showing page 4 of 5
Author
puppy38
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 10
RE: Dimension @ 96Khz/24bit - pitch wheel causes meters to shoot up to +99.9 2009/02/27 18:49:44 (permalink)
8.3 PE...

still not fixed...

called cust supp about help or return...

this thread is supposedly heading into the hands of someone who can help...

whoever you are...i wish you the best of luck...

p38
www.opiumdenpluto.com
eventually releasing 5.1 dvd audio if i am ever able to use all the wonderful cakewalk instruments as promised
post edited by puppy38 - 2009/02/28 06:07:22

windows 7 64bit, 3.25gHz dc/7gb ram, onboard POS audiocard, korg mr1, ensoniq asr-x, sonar 8.5.3...for now...

stevethompson
  • Total Posts : 45
RE: Dimension @ 96Khz/24bit - pitch wheel causes meters to shoot up to +99.9 2009/03/01 09:52:47 (permalink)
Wow glad I found his thread - yesterday I was comparing 2 guitar midi controllers and happened to try Dim Pro 1.2 at 96khz - I thought I broke something. Apparently there's a lot of pitch info, even without touching a wheel :).

Trying to troubleshoot - I did a full SPE 8 reinstall and also switched from Presonus Firestudio ASIO to Mackie Onyx FW ASIO but got the same reults.

Hopefully a fix is on the way!

Steve
DaveClark
Max Output Level: -71 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 956
RE: Dimension @ 96Khz/24bit - pitch wheel causes meters to shoot up to +99.9 2009/03/01 13:11:13 (permalink)
Hi Steve,

Just wanted to warn you and anyone else attempting to use higher sample rates that in addition to the pitch-wheel problem, DPro v. 1.2 distorts audio at any sample rate other than 44,100 samples/sec.

This behavior has been duplicated on many different machines (mobos, processors) and many different VST hosts (i.e. DAW's) by a number of people including myself. You should be able to hear this quite well by loading one of the Grand Pianos and hitting a high note. It squeaks quite audibly. I would recommend not using v. 1.2 at any sample rate other than 44,100. Version 1.0 appears not to have this problem, but *may* lack the ability to use later sounds --- don't know for sure, and don't care because:

I myself switched to WusikStation about a year ago and am very glad I did. Because WS now supports a subset of sfz, you can actually load the DPro pianos in WS (after copying the relevant files to an appropriate folder) and compare the sound of the high notes.

Regards,
Dave Clark

thx1200
Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 92
RE: Dimension @ 96Khz/24bit - pitch wheel causes meters to shoot up to +99.9 2009/03/10 15:51:17 (permalink)
Glad to see you back, Dave (even if it is just for a quick note)! I, too, am rarely using Dimension. But, out of principal, I am sticking with this fight to the bitter end! ;-)

Keep writing/calling Cake support, keep filing BBB complaints, and keep contacting the Boston Consumer Affairs division. Cakewalk needs to learn to play fair.
stratcat33511
Max Output Level: -39 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3636
RE: Dimension @ 96Khz/24bit - pitch wheel causes meters to shoot up to +99.9 2009/03/10 17:15:12 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: DaveClark

... don't know for sure, and don't care because:

I myself switched to WusikStation about a year ago and am very glad I did. Because WS now supports a subset of sfz, you can actually load the DPro pianos in WS (after copying the relevant files to an appropriate folder) and compare the sound of the high notes.

Regards,
Dave Clark

Hi Dave, and all !

I have been using WS 4.64 since and have had no real issues either!

For giggles I tried DPro again and it failed, consistently
It did work on a few projects that have DP replaced with WS
but it cannot be trusted IMHEO

Sad to see this really

shang
  • Total Posts : 41
RE: Dimension @ 96Khz/24bit - pitch wheel causes meters to shoot up to +99.9 2009/03/10 20:35:45 (permalink)
I too am attempting to keep up the fight. I have submitted reviews stating the problem at many on-line music stores and submitted a BBB complaint. I wouldn't be quite so annoyed about this except I bought Dim Pro before they were bundling it in Sonar PE. So I specifically spent a couple hundred dollars on something I can't use now.

So, will WusikStation (or anything for that matter) read the Dim Pro sound files? I hate to just write off all those great patches if I switch to something else.

So long and thanks for all the fish,
Shang
stratcat33511
Max Output Level: -39 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3636
RE: Dimension @ 96Khz/24bit - pitch wheel causes meters to shoot up to +99.9 2009/03/11 00:24:29 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: shang

So, will WusikStation (or anything for that matter) read the Dim Pro sound files? I hate to just write off all those great patches if I switch to something else.

I dont know myself, really Dave is the better qualified to respond to that.
I Just use it for what I need; bass strings piano etc

I also use Reason, and another DAW to 'make it happen' for me these days
kwgm
Max Output Level: -52.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2271
RE: Dimension @ 96Khz/24bit - pitch wheel causes meters to shoot up to +99.9 2009/03/11 01:41:51 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: shang

I too am attempting to keep up the fight. I have submitted reviews stating the problem at many on-line music stores and submitted a BBB complaint. I wouldn't be quite so annoyed about this except I bought Dim Pro before they were bundling it in Sonar PE. So I specifically spent a couple hundred dollars on something I can't use now.

Wusikstation is an adequate synth/rompler that has an excellent sounding collection of sounds. I bought during one of the big bundle deals and upgraded once or twice -- I have many Gb of sounds that I still don't know all of what's in there. It does the exotic space synthesizer sound well, but also comes with a GM library.

Rapture is a superior product for a number of reasons, and if you program your own sounds and are torn between Wusik and Rapture, go with Rapture.

However, if you simply like to play with exotic sounds, and you need a whole lot of new pads, get Wusik.

--kwgm
DaveClark
RE: Dimension @ 96Khz/24bit - pitch wheel causes meters to shoot up to +99.9 2009/03/11 18:12:13 (permalink)
Hi Ed --- thx1200,

Good to hear from you guys, also. I was also quite saddened by Cakewalk's performance in the area of instruments.

Some quick responses, more or less of the top of my head below --- dangerously so! I just drank a quart of Peter James Espresso Roast coffee (great folks out in CA), so at least I'm awake.

------------------

On the alleged superiority of Rapture (kwgm):

The Rapture demo v. 1.0 also distorts all sounds for the higher sample rates, but not for 48,000 samples/sec as does DPro. I don't know about the retail version, whatever that is. Session Drummer 2 also distorts, by the way, I believe also down to 48,000 samples/sec like DPro.

People who use 44,100 samples/sec should be fine for all these products.

One odd thing about the *DPro* library of sounds that I find bothersome is that the bit depth of the library varies all over the place, however, and scant use is made of velocity layering in some areas. In summary, the library as a whole appears to me to be quite haphazard, with some areas much better designed and implemented than others. Hopefully Rapture is better??? The reason for mentioning this variation is relevant to discussion below.

Support for DPro is nonexistent and has been nonexistent for over 18 months. Not sure about Rapture. WS is actively supported. Those interested should consider a "membership" where you get "free" upgrades, 100 MB of storage space for music files (up to 320 kbits/sec MP3), "free" additional soundsets, and other benefits for about $10/month.

------------------

On using DPro sounds in WS:

I've looked into this a bit and there are some problems because the implementation of SFZ is incomplete. I've pointed out a few of these limitations to William and he's got them logged, but at this time he's got about 10 pots boiling as usual. He's a great guy, though, and seems to me to be very sincere about trying to do the best job possible.

Pianos: These seem to work well so far at 96,000 --- certainly better than DPro. But I almost always use TruePianos instead, so my experience is limited to a few tests.

Drums: These do NOT work correctly at any sample rate because the "one_shot" loop_mode is not correctly implemented. William didn't realize that the "note off" is ignored (on Edit: *should* be ignored, but isn't in WS), so typical drum loops sound, well, awful. What I did with *other* drum SFZ's was to import SFZ files, then use the export to WusikSND files (inside the WAVE editor thingy if you know what I mean --- click on the waveform, not the SoundSet to display the keyboard and waveform assignments; right-click and export to 32-bit or 16-bit WusikSND) to create usable drums, although I haven't done this specifically with the DPro drums yet. I have better drums than DPro's.

So it's a mixed bag using DPro SFZ files in WS. I would suggest trying them out to see if there are any obvious problems. If so, export to WusikSND. Many of the DPro files are actually 16-bit, so you may want to save 16-bit WusikSND to save disk space. But some are actually 32-bit FP, so you may want to save 32-bit WusikSND for those.

If you do have problems with the SFZ implementation importing DPro SFZ files, I would highly recommend letting William know about it so he can properly prioritize the fixes and extensions.

Best regards,
Dave Clark

post edited by DaveClark - 2009/03/12 02:53:40
shang
RE: Dimension @ 96Khz/24bit - pitch wheel causes meters to shoot up to +99.9 2009/03/11 22:09:13 (permalink)
Wow! Thanks for all the great info everybody.

Shang
puppy38
  • Total Posts : 10
RE: Dimension @ 96Khz/24bit - pitch wheel causes meters to shoot up to +99.9 2009/03/14 04:35:02 (permalink)

still not fixed...

192khz...when pitching up or down...sound cuts out...and again...NOT JUST IN DIMENSION PRO...but since dimension pro is the primary focus of my use of softsynths and got all these cool sounds (that i cannot use as i wish yet)...

will call cakewalk customer service one more time...

any suggestions as to how to spend some money on pc recording software that doesnt advertise what it doesnt have fully useable?...

jeez...since october...

nothing but drat and bother...

windows 7 64bit, 3.25gHz dc/7gb ram, onboard POS audiocard, korg mr1, ensoniq asr-x, sonar 8.5.3...for now...

ob1peanut
  • Total Posts : 35
RE: Dimension @ 96Khz/24bit - pitch wheel causes meters to shoot up to +99.9 2009/03/18 22:29:31 (permalink)
Thanks for all the info. I thought I was going nuts with this issue. I guess ill add my complaint to the list at cakewalk.

Intel i7 3.50Mz, 8G RAM, Windows 7 64 bit, RME Fireface UFX, VG 99, PCR800, Sonar X3d 64bit
T7500 Core 2 Duo 2.2 GHz Asus Laptop , 2G Ram
shang
RE: Dimension @ 96Khz/24bit - pitch wheel causes meters to shoot up to +99.9 2009/03/27 00:53:46 (permalink)
I have a squeaky wheel suggestion. If anyone who is having this problem can attend any of the clinics that Cakewalk is hosting around the country, go and ask the question in front of everyone when they are going to fix this known issue. My goal is not to embarrass anyone or blindside the rep, but if the reps get that question at every location, you can bet they'll be calling back to the home office to see what is going on. Unfortunately they are not coming to MN otherwise I'd be there. They never come here anymore for some reason. Hmmmm, maybe this is why...

Shang
thx1200
RE: Dimension @ 96Khz/24bit - pitch wheel causes meters to shoot up to +99.9 2009/03/27 01:03:36 (permalink)
I REALLY like that suggestion. Can you post where we find out where their clinic's are being hosted?
shang
RE: Dimension @ 96Khz/24bit - pitch wheel causes meters to shoot up to +99.9 2009/03/27 09:59:18 (permalink)
This is the latest tour: http://www.cakewalk.com/Events/VS700Tour.asp
Others will be under Events at the top of any Cakewalk page.

Shang
thx1200
RE: Dimension @ 96Khz/24bit - pitch wheel causes meters to shoot up to +99.9 2009/03/27 10:05:17 (permalink)
Crap! None even remotely close to me. Anybody in CA around here? There seem to be quite a few out there!
RMX
Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 126
RE: Dimension @ 96Khz/24bit - pitch wheel causes meters to shoot up to +99.9 2009/04/25 01:47:32 (permalink)
Ok, just bought S8 primarily because of Dim Pro and secondarily because of the good upgrade price.

I am seeing the same problem as folks on this thread. Cannot believe that we have had an issue go unaddressed for this long.
I sent out 2 emails to cake about this a few mins ago. Looking at this thread, I kinda feel naive about doing it.

Anyways, with the amount of pitch bend I use in my tracks I guess I will have to just not use Dim Pro.

But then I was perfectly happy with Sonar 7.

RMX

Working as Coded!
Seth Perlstein [Cakewalk]
  • Total Posts : 2084
RE: Dimension @ 96Khz/24bit - pitch wheel causes meters to shoot up to +99.9 2009/04/25 02:23:11 (permalink)
Hey guys,

There's no need to make us reps aware of the sample rate issue with DimPro etc. because we are already keenly aware of it. I am as frustrated as you are with this issue but it is unfortunately out of our hands as to how/ when a fix might happen.

I sincerely apologize that this issue has given you problems and I truly wish there was somehting I could do.

I understand your situations and if you want to come out to the clinics to voice your frustration that's fine, I'll weather the storm. However, I don't know if there's really anything that I can tell you that you will want to hear.

Thanks,

Seth

ChristopherM
Max Output Level: -56 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1921
RE: Dimension @ 96Khz/24bit - pitch wheel causes meters to shoot up to +99.9 2009/04/25 05:29:18 (permalink)
I am as frustrated as you are with this issue but it is unfortunately out of our hands as to how/ when a fix might happen.
So in whose hands is this issue, if it is out of yours? It seems to me quite bizarre and cynical that Cakewalk made the recent press release about Rapture 1.2 (presumably desperate for something to say at a industryfest), but at no point has said anything about when a fix will be released for what is clearly a serious bug in DP. Presumably the same skills and people would be required to work on either of these two cases, so why is Rapture prioritised above DP?

And what marketing guy in Cakewalk can feel comfortable about this negative item on the forum, especially when it has attracted more hits than any sticky topic bar one on this forum? Oh, and fifteen times more than the topic called Very happy to see Rapture 1.2 coming.
thx1200
RE: Dimension @ 96Khz/24bit - pitch wheel causes meters to shoot up to +99.9 2009/04/25 09:38:10 (permalink)
Seth - Thanks for joining us here! I do appreciate your post, and since I now know that reps are, as you put it, keenly aware of this issue, I would suggest that nobody make a scene at one of these shows. :-) I would, however, very much appreciate it if you would join us in contacting Cakewalk and requesting they fix this bug (if you have not done so already, that is).

All this recent activity continues to perpetuate the hypothesis that Cakewalk simply can't fix the problem for some reason (missing source code maybe?). No other explanation makes sense! It's as if they see Dim Pro as a pretty good product as it is, but fixing it would require something monunmental, such as rewriting a large portion of code from scratch. Any other explanation just makes Cakewalk out to be incredibly insensitive to their users' needs.

But since DimPro is now their flagship sampler, being bundled with Sonar 8, you would think the likelihood would increase that they would finally execute whatever incredibly time-consuming step was preventing them from fixing this before.

I just don't get it...
DaveClark
RE: Dimension @ 96Khz/24bit - pitch wheel causes meters to shoot up to +99.9 2009/04/25 10:33:11 (permalink)

There's no need to make us reps aware of the sample rate issue with DimPro etc. because we are already keenly aware of it.

Hi Seth,

Thanks for posting.

I hope by this you mean that you are aware of ALL of the sample-rate issues with DPro and the related synths such as Rapture and Session Drummer 2. I'm personally most concerned with distortion of everything above 44,100 samples/sec for DPro and above 48,000 for Rapture --- don't recall where Session Drummer 2 falls. I don't use any of these programs any more because I don't trust them to work correctly.

What was most discouraging to me personally during this whole process was the long denial of any problems with distortion, followed by a very weak and only implied confirmation, followed by utter silence. I haven't bought anything from Cakewalk since discovering the distortion in DPro, and that's how I plan to handle this situation until I see something positive from Cakewalk.

Regards,
Dave Clark

RMX
Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 126
RE: Dimension @ 96Khz/24bit - pitch wheel causes meters to shoot up to +99.9 2009/04/25 13:12:35 (permalink)
Hey guys,

There's no need to make us reps aware of the sample rate issue with DimPro etc. because we are already keenly aware of it. I am as frustrated as you are with this issue but it is unfortunately out of our hands as to how/ when a fix might happen.

I sincerely apologize that this issue has given you problems and I truly wish there was somehting I could do.

I understand your situations and if you want to come out to the clinics to voice your frustration that's fine, I'll weather the storm. However, I don't know if there's really anything that I can tell you that you will want to hear.

Thanks,

Seth

Hi Seth,

Honestly, the primary intention of my post was definitely not to re-vent about this issue, when so many others had already done so. In my case I emailed support first, and then realized that there was a new dll to be downloaded, so tried that, and still when things would not work, I wrote right back to support again to let them know about my findings.

ONLY after that I tried to see if anyone else was having similar issues which is when I stumbled upon this thread, and I was awed by the longevity of this issue and expressed my genuine feelings (having been with cakewalk faithfully for the last 5+ years).

Don't get me wrong, I truly believe that Sonar is one of the best Daws out there, and I have been happy with it and look forward to more exciting enhancements. Being a programmer myself, I know the frustration of having issues that are hard to knock off. But two years felt like a long time to me and made me post in this thread.

RMX

Working as Coded!
RE: Dimension @ 96Khz/24bit - pitch wheel causes meters to shoot up to +99.9 2009/05/01 15:58:15 (permalink)
Hey guys,

The Rapture 1.2 update is supposed to fix the smaple rate issue. I haven't had time to test it yet, so please try it out and post your results.

Thanks
post edited by Seth Perlstein [Cakewalk] - 2009/05/01 16:40:16
DaveClark
RE: Dimension @ 96Khz/24bit - pitch wheel causes meters to shoot up to +99.9 2009/05/01 17:55:14 (permalink)
Hi Seth,

For my part: I'd be more than happy to check the update for distortion in the same way I tested the other programs and demonstrated the problem(s), but unfortunately I purchased DPro instead of Rapture --- silly me --- so have only Demo 1.0.

I don't suppose the current demo is a newer version, is it?

Regards,
Dave Clark

b rock
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 8717
RE: Dimension @ 96Khz/24bit - pitch wheel causes meters to shoot up to +99.9 2009/05/01 20:48:53 (permalink)
The Rapture 1.2 update is supposed to fix the smaple rate issue. I haven't had time to test it yet, so please try it out and post your results.
Confirmed here. 44.1K, 48K, 88,2K, 96K, and 192K tested. As a bonus, the final test also annihilated the bats roosting in my avocado grove.
RE: Dimension @ 96Khz/24bit - pitch wheel causes meters to shoot up to +99.9 2009/05/01 22:42:01 (permalink)
Dave,

The demo hasn't changed, no. B-Rock, great news that the fix is working in the field and thank you for confirming. Thanks so much for your patience, guys, but obviously there is more work to do.
ChristopherM
Max Output Level: -56 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1921
RE: Dimension @ 96Khz/24bit - pitch wheel causes meters to shoot up to +99.9 2009/05/02 00:38:25 (permalink)
great news that the fix is working in the field
You sound surprised. What happened to "testing, testing, alpha, beta, testing"?
Britplop
  • Total Posts : 9
RE: Dimension @ 96Khz/24bit - pitch wheel causes meters to shoot up to +99.9 2009/05/02 04:50:49 (permalink)
Great news indeed. I look forward to this fix also being applied to Dimension Pro in the very near future.
Willy Jones [Cakewalk]
Cakewalk Staff
  • Total Posts : 751
RE: Dimension @ 96Khz/24bit - pitch wheel causes meters to shoot up to +99.9 2009/05/04 13:56:16 (permalink)
Greetings friends,

It seems to me quite bizarre and cynical that Cakewalk made the recent press release about Rapture 1.2 (presumably desperate for something to say at a industryfest)

Hardly the case, the Rapture 1.2 announcement was barely a bullet point next to the VS100 launch.

We do understand your frustrations in this matter and I assure you it is not something that has been ignored. Schedules and deadlines often make things very complex and we are not the giant empire of developers we wish we could be so sometimes a solution takes time.

If you'd like to reach us, not some inbox or another organizations database of complaints please call or e-mail us directly. 1-888-CAKEWALK or http://www.cakewalk.com/about/csr.asp While a customer service or tech support rep may not always know when an update will be available I can guarantee you that it is at least 900 times more effective at making the issue known to us than the BBB. (FWIW - we still have yet to receive a single notice, letter or e-mail from them regarding your issues though a visit to their web site shows they do in fact exist) Every issue that comes across us is investigated and logged appropriately. I'm not doubting the record keeping abilities of the BBB or Boston Office of Consumer Affairs, but I don't think they would be as helpful in reporting a repro case to us in one of our software applications in a manner that would help our development team address it.

Finally an olive branch - anyone experiencing this issue please send me a PM with your e-mail address, the one used to register your copy of Dimension Pro, if you're not sure then send your serial number as well.

Thanks for understanding.

Best Regards,
post edited by Willy Jones [Cakewalk] - 2009/05/04 14:25:11

Willy Jones 
Cakewalk
Britplop
  • Total Posts : 9
RE: Dimension @ 96Khz/24bit - pitch wheel causes meters to shoot up to +99.9 2009/05/04 14:59:49 (permalink)
Many thanks, Willy. PM is on its way.
Page: < 12345 > Showing page 4 of 5
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1