Helpful ReplyDoes this say a lot to you too? 50% off on Sonar X2 Upgrades!

Page: < 12345 > Showing page 3 of 5
Author
Beepster
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 18001
Re: Does this say a lot to you too? 50% off on Sonar X2 Upgrades! 2013/08/07 15:19:00 (permalink)
backwoods
Yeah, but Cakewalk would rather have a hundred of me because I actually buy their products.

I own $700 of Cakewalk products purchased in the past year and a half and WANT to buy more but will not until I see where the company is heading. I WANT to use Sonar. THAT is the point. So is it Wham Bam Thank you Beepster there's the fricken' door? Doesn't sound like a good business model to me and I really don't think they would appreciate you speaking on their behalf.

Seriously get over yourself. You are not a mod, admin or a baker and if somehow you ARE and are hiding behind an alt you should be fired.
Beepster
Re: Does this say a lot to you too? 50% off on Sonar X2 Upgrades! 2013/08/07 15:59:18 (permalink)
I'd like to apologize to the other members for losing my temper. I was indeed attempting to ignore the concern troll but he seemed hell bent on picking a fight. If somehow I get banished then take care of yourselves.

Cheers.
JonD
Max Output Level: -39 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3617
Re: Does this say a lot to you too? 50% off on Sonar X2 Upgrades! 2013/08/07 17:08:53 (permalink)
Beepster
I'd like to apologize to the other members for losing my temper. I was indeed attempting to ignore the concern troll but he seemed hell bent on picking a fight. If somehow I get banished then take care of yourselves.

Cheers.

Hm, we must be reading two different threads.  I don't see anyone (else) here "hell-bent on picking a fight".  Are there differing perspectives?  Yes.  But the posts were reasonable in tone until the name-calling started....

SonarPlat/CWbBL, Win 10 Pro, i7 2600K, Asus P8Z68 Deluxe, 16GB DDR3, Radeon HD5450, TC Electronic Impact Twin, Kawai MP11 Piano, Event ALP Monitors, Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro, Too Many Plugins, My lucky hat.
doncolga
Max Output Level: -60 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1519
Re: Does this say a lot to you too? 50% off on Sonar X2 Upgrades! 2013/08/07 18:17:21 (permalink)
mike_mccue
That seems very reasonable, yet we had one poster (whom I know to be a very nice and sincere fellow) recently make the statement that SONAR is working great for him, then he explained hadn't used it all year long and that he's never tried using it with a microphone.

That sort of situation invites comment and speculation.

FWIW, I find SONAR to be extremely stable, my personal experience is 99.9% stability, but that is because I know exactly how to make it crash.

all the best,
mike

Was that me?  I'd posted something similar to that recently and started and thread that I was loving Sonar and that it was working well for me.

HP Z220 Workstation I7 3770, 8 GB RAM, Windows 10, Sonar Platinum, RME Multiface II via PCIe, JBL 4326 w/sub, AvanTone MixCubes
The Maillard Reaction
  • Total Posts : 31918
Re: Does this say a lot to you too? 50% off on Sonar X2 Upgrades! 2013/08/07 18:36:30 (permalink)
Hi Don,
 Yes, In the interest of honesty and only because you have asked personally and specifically, I will explain that it was your posts that I was commenting on above.

Please allow me to emphasize that I regard you as one the friendliest and sincere people I have been acquainted with at the forum.

I'm glad you enjoy SONAR. I just feel that satisfaction such as you have voiced can not serve as an effective endorsement of its capability to satisfy the expectations of people who attempt to use all the features they have been offered, sold, and left with.

best regards,
mike

jb101
Max Output Level: -46 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2946
Re: Does this say a lot to you too? 50% off on Sonar X2 Upgrades! 2013/08/07 20:00:12 (permalink)
mike_mccue
Hi Don,
 Yes, In the interest of honesty and only because you have asked personally and specifically, I will explain that it was your posts that I was commenting on above.

Please allow me to emphasize that I regard you as one the friendliest and sincere people I have been acquainted with at the forum.

I'm glad you enjoy SONAR. I just feel that satisfaction such as you have voiced can not serve as an effective endorsement of its capability to satisfy the expectations of people who attempt to use all the features they have been offered, sold, and left with.

best regards,
mike

Is it only me who sees mcq for what he is?

Sonar Platinum
doncolga
Re: Does this say a lot to you too? 50% off on Sonar X2 Upgrades! 2013/08/07 22:35:18 (permalink)
Hey Mike, No sweat man and thanks for your words about my demeanor here. Yes, it was about one year since I'd recording anything new, and even longer for anything that needed mics.  What creativity I get seems to arrive in cycles and December 2011 seems to have been the last one.  My last recordings with mics were prior to that simply because I wasn't happy with what I was doing vocally at the time, but I'm way too self conscious and ticky about that.  I know that will come back around.  So most all my efforts since then turned out to be instrumental, I just had no need to hook the mic up. But, give me some credit here...I have used Sonar with a mic.
The time I was away from Sonar or any other DAW gave me a fresh experience coming back, and the experience was very good, as it was in December 2011 for the handful of tunes I did then.  I'm fortunate that I can't think of a time when any app I've ever used has totally let me down, but even if I did, I'd probably not be too vocal about it as I don't make a living off DAW's the way some here do.  If that were the case it may be a different story, or it may still be the same.  As it is, I consider the money I've spent with Cakewalk since about 1999 well spent. Certainly we've all had different experiences with Sonar and we express that individually here.  In my excitement after being away from Sonar, and the forum, I simply wanted to share my good experience.  I'd not expect my experience would be considered an endorsement all users would agree with.  A product like that of any kind has probably never existed. Donny
post edited by doncolga - 2013/08/08 00:19:45

HP Z220 Workstation I7 3770, 8 GB RAM, Windows 10, Sonar Platinum, RME Multiface II via PCIe, JBL 4326 w/sub, AvanTone MixCubes
bitflipper
01100010 01101001 01110100 01100110 01101100 01101
  • Total Posts : 26036
Re: Does this say a lot to you too? 50% off on Sonar X2 Upgrades! 2013/08/08 00:08:09 (permalink)
Every time I got another email from CW offering a lower upgrade price than the previous one, I'd look at it and think "OK, is this low enough to sway me now?". Each time, the answer was "nah". After this last offer I had to accept the unpleasant fact that I wouldn't go for it even if it were offered free of charge.

But, ever the optimist, I'll still be taking a look at X3!

All else is in doubt, so this is the truth I cling to. 

My Stuff
doncolga
Re: Does this say a lot to you too? 50% off on Sonar X2 Upgrades! 2013/08/08 00:16:07 (permalink)
bitflipper
Every time I got another email from CW offering a lower upgrade price than the previous one, I'd look at it and think "OK, is this low enough to sway me now?". Each time, the answer was "nah". After this last offer I had to accept the unpleasant fact that I wouldn't go for it even if it were offered free of charge. But, ever the optimist, I'll still be taking a look at X3!

The $50 one going on now was enough for me. Otherwise I would have stayed put.

Rain
  • Total Posts : 9736
Re: Does this say a lot to you too? 50% off on Sonar X2 Upgrades! 2013/08/08 00:58:42 (permalink)
backwoods
Yeah, but Cakewalk would rather have a hundred of me because I actually buy their products. Jeff Evans has already been banned once forpromoting Studio One on this forum beepster.

I have used Cakewalk products since Guitar Studio, at the end of the 90s. I am a huge fan of Zeta, Dimension and Rapture and they are some of my most used Virtual Instruments. I've turned more than a few aspiring home recordist onto Sonar and helped them set up their DAW and figure out Sonar. Even as of Christmas last year, long after I had switched to Mac. 

Incidentally, taking into account only the people I've turned onto Sonar and helped out with their DAW probably account for more $ than what you spent on Sonar 7 and the next couple of upgrades... 

I rarely venture in this particular forum because I haven't used the most recent versions of Sonar and I can't really help much. I do chime in in some of debates when people discuss certain products which I happen to be working with on a daily basis and some things are said which don't account for the whole story, IMHO. I try not to be hostile, though I can be a bit harsh in my replies. But I'm usually just as quick to apologize.

What I do not do is attack people for no reason on the premise that paying for Cakewalk's flagship product gives me the right to disregard all manners. I've made many good buddies on this forum. If I've offended some people on occasions, and tried to come to an agreement of sort and apologize as often as I could. I am always up for shaking ends and letting bygones be bygones.

You on the other hand have mocked my posts and tried to ridicule me repeatedly throughout the last few months. Yet every time I come here, I start afresh and try to let that stuff behind. Some day everything seems just fine. And then out of nowhere, some other days, it's like someone took a pee in your cereals or something... 

If Cakewalk wants hundreds of you as you seem to feel entitled to speak on their behalf, that's fine with me. It's their business. But until they themselves tell me, that's your assumption.

TCB - Tea, Cats, Books...
backwoods
Max Output Level: -49.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2571
Re: Does this say a lot to you too? 50% off on Sonar X2 Upgrades! 2013/08/08 04:35:31 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby Rain 2013/08/08 11:34:46
OK Rain. Thanks for sharing. I'm sorry. Also sorry to Jeff Evans. 

It's none of my business if you guys do not use Sonar and want to discuss/critique other DAWs here. I don't understand it but I don't need to understand it if it will stop a fight. Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

And beepster- I reread what I had written there and it was pretty harsh in a sort of coded way I see. I'm very sorry man and hope you can see it in your heart to forgive me. 

I don't have as many posts as you guys so I still have a few rough edges internet communication wise. 

Everyone else, I am sorry for inadvertently turning this into a circus :)  It all reminds me of that Elton John quote that went something like "If I knew you from 1970-1974, I'm sorry" 
post edited by backwoods - 2013/08/08 04:43:48

backwoods
Max Output Level: -49.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2571
Re: Does this say a lot to you too? 50% off on Sonar X2 Upgrades! 2013/08/08 04:40:54 (permalink)
Gee, double apology. One is enough I think.

SteveStrummerUK
  • Total Posts : 31112
Re: Does this say a lot to you too? 50% off on Sonar X2 Upgrades! 2013/08/08 05:58:30 (permalink)

Good for you Backwoods. And like I said before - it's all about passion.

I'm certain that all the guys who have left Cakewalk for other DAW products just really wanted SONAR to work for them. After all, something about it must have attracted them to it in the first place.

And I suppose the fact that some ex-users are happy to sing the praises of other products is more often than not born out of a sense of relief that they can get on with their work unimpeded, and not with any intended malice.

Think about it, if one of us had 'converted' a user of another DAW to come over from the dark side and purchase SONAR, we'd be looked on as the good guy here in Cakewalkland.

Music:     The Coffee House BandVeRy MeTaL

SteveStrummerUK
  • Total Posts : 31112
Re: Does this say a lot to you too? 50% off on Sonar X2 Upgrades! 2013/08/08 05:58:14 (permalink)

Double post...

Mind you, this was a new one on me:

post edited by SteveStrummerUK - 2013/08/08 06:28:33

Music:     The Coffee House BandVeRy MeTaL

Royal Yaksman
Max Output Level: -83 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 361
Re: Does this say a lot to you too? 50% off on Sonar X2 Upgrades! 2013/08/08 06:01:46 (permalink)
I'm not having a go at people who are having problems. I myself wanted to throw my old computer out the window a few years back when I was using Pro Tools 8 and found myself neck deep in errors, glitches and program crashing. The Pro Tools forum told me that a small percentage of users were having similar issues but most were not. So statements on this forum like, "Sonar X2 is broken!" would imply that the program doesn't work for most users or even every user. I personally haven't had a single crash and I have songs with 70+ tracks with loads of VSTs. That's not to take anything away from those who are having problems (I know the pain.) But I'm unsure what good making harsh blanket statements (based on only your own experience and maybe a few other users you know of on this forum) as if they apply to every user, is going to achieve? Constructive criticism about each individual issue would be more helpful than taking a hacksaw to Cakewalk's name.

Applying some perspective and logic to the situation, if X2 was truly "broken" and did not work on the majority of users machines? Then Cakewalk would be almost out of business overnight! Even if they rushed out X2a, X2b, X2c and X2d, the amount of refunds requested on a new product would have been financially crushing to say the least. The fact that they have only seen fit to release one bug fix tells me that based on their tech section reports? The vast majority of users must have a stable product and be happy with it! This forum being a place for people having problems with X2, is not exactly going to reflect a balanced indication of those who have problems versus those who don't. Check my post count. What is it like 4 or something? I only bothered joining a few months ago to make a joke in a thread. I'm a user who didn't have any problems with X1c, X1d, X2 and now X2a. There's no way of knowing how many are in the same boat as me? However, for a software company to be even slightly viable it could well be tens of thousands? Maybe it's hundreds of thousands? Millions? What I'm getting at is, you can't post a problem if you don't have any!

I for one await X3's release with a massive hard on!
Beepster
Re: Does this say a lot to you too? 50% off on Sonar X2 Upgrades! 2013/08/08 06:21:12 (permalink)
@backwoods... There we go. All is forgiven and I apologize for getting riled up but hopefully you could see now how that might upset someone. I'm frustrated enough with the lack of a B patch as it is (and I really do my best not to be hyperbolic or repetitive when expressing this frustration) and being told I am no longer welcome on the forum if I explore other options... well that did not sit well. I appreciate you taking the time to post that. Let's put this behind us and start over.

Cheers.
jb101
Max Output Level: -46 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2946
Re: Does this say a lot to you too? 50% off on Sonar X2 Upgrades! 2013/08/08 06:48:31 (permalink)
Royal Yaksman
I'm not having a go at people who are having problems. I myself wanted to throw my old computer out the window a few years back when I was using Pro Tools 8 and found myself neck deep in errors, glitches and program crashing. The Pro Tools forum told me that a small percentage of users were having similar issues but most were not. So statements on this forum like, "Sonar X2 is broken!" would imply that the program doesn't work for most users or even every user. I personally haven't had a single crash and I have songs with 70+ tracks with loads of VSTs. That's not to take anything away from those who are having problems (I know the pain.) But I'm unsure what good making harsh blanket statements (based on only your own experience and maybe a few other users you know of on this forum) as if they apply to every user, is going to achieve? Constructive criticism about each individual issue would be more helpful than taking a hacksaw to Cakewalk's name.

Applying some perspective and logic to the situation, if X2 was truly "broken" and did not work on the majority of users machines? Then Cakewalk would be almost out of business overnight! Even if they rushed out X2a, X2b, X2c and X2d, the amount of refunds requested on a new product would have been financially crushing to say the least. The fact that they have only seen fit to release one bug fix tells me that based on their tech section reports? The vast majority of users must have a stable product and be happy with it! This forum being a place for people having problems with X2, is not exactly going to reflect a balanced indication of those who have problems versus those who don't. Check my post count. What is it like 4 or something? I only bothered joining a few months ago to make a joke in a thread. I'm a user who didn't have any problems with X1c, X1d, X2 and now X2a. There's no way of knowing how many are in the same boat as me? However, for a software company to be even slightly viable it could well be tens of thousands? Maybe it's hundreds of thousands? Millions? What I'm getting at is, you can't post a problem if you don't have any!

I for one await X3's release with a massive hard on!

Great post, Royal Yaksman.

Sonar Platinum
Beepster
Re: Does this say a lot to you too? 50% off on Sonar X2 Upgrades! 2013/08/08 08:31:25 (permalink)
WARNING! If you don't like hearing about legitimate problems other users are having with Sonar do not read the following post. If you do read it and attack me I will block you:

Just wanted to clarify... I think X2 is great and I've had very few crashes compared to X1. The problems are a bunch of minor annoyances that make it difficult to work.

Like the selection problem where for some reason things get group selected when you do not want them to be. No matter how many times you reselect what you want it still grabs a bunch of other stuff. Once this starts happening it infects the project and I have to lock all other clips or manually deselect the unwanted items. So for clips there is a work around but it's a pain. It also seems to happen, albeit less frequently, in other areas like the the PRV, automation nodes and audiosnap (actually it's quite bad in audiosnap but I have other issues with that feature which I will explain in a moment). Because of all this I've had things off screen get moved around, deleted, changed, etc... without my knowledge and by the time I discover what has happened it's too late to go back. I have to revert to an older version of the project losing all the work I've done in that session. Doing this doesn't get rid of the problem either so everything has to get locked from that point forward. This causes a lot of tension and worry while editing because I am always having to second guess and double check my work. I have no idea how or why this happens. Is it user error or a computer problem? I don't know but it seems unlikely because other times it doesn't happen at all and many other users have reported the same behavior.

Audiosnap. Audiosnap is almost impossible to use which is really disappointing to me because it is, in theory, a really amazing feature. The markers are extremely chaotic in the sense they disappear and reappear randomly as I move the cursor around or zoom in/out. Sometimes they won't enable/disable/insert/move/etc as intended which can be a real problem if you just spent an hour working on something and can't perform a basic function at a critical point. It seems this is another thing that gets worse as time goes on as if the bug is "infecting" the project. Also once I start working with the transients I have to complete the entire section. I cannot save the project halfway through because that COMPLETELY corrupts the project. If I save in the middle of a session when I open the project back up the transients display completely wrong (huge sections missing, threshold isn't right, changes made previously are incorrect, marker statuses are wrong, etc). If I try to continue working anyway the markers do not react properly to my actions (they don't move properly or at all, if they do move they snap back to their original position, their statuses randomly change, appear and disappear randomly, etc). After a while the program starts freezing up, I get whitescreens, project areas bleed over into other areas (like the Clips Pane appears in the Track Pane or console), random white and/or black boxes appear out of nowhere, squiggly lines start showing up, the transport or other functions stop working and eventually Sonar completely crashes and the project can never be used again. So yeah... cannot stop and save in the middle of an audiosnap session. I have to muscle through all the work as fast as I can and render the changes. It's a little stressful especially considering it's hard to w ork with at the best of times. I really need this feature to work properly. I can indeed use it if I'm diligent and don't mind having to start over from time to time but I have lost hours of painstaking work with audiosnap. I was hoping a patch might make it a little more stable.

Keybindings. Sometimes the keybindings will refuse to perform the intended function or will behave differently than point/clicking. I have no idea why this is. It doesn't happen all that often but I seem to be having to double check my keybinding list because I think I'm just hitting the wrong combo. This happens more with the less common bindings so it's not TOO problematic but it is confusing. I've also had crashes when using certain bindings like the Insert Loop binding (this was reported by sharke and confirmed by others recently too). I cannot use the R (record) keybinding while tracking takes which is a pain because when I've got the guitar in my hands I don't really want to be messing around with my trackball. What happens is for some reason (and it only happens with the binding and it doesn't happen all the time) it will randomly unmute previous takes once I start recording. It is really weird and frustrating when I'm trying to focus on getting a part right. Another annoying one is my shift key combos don't seem to work consistently when I'm trying to move clips up or down in place on the time line. I have to use snap or if the edge of the clip is out of a specific snap range I have to set the clip to snap offset mode and line it up to the timeline.

Editing. Editing is a bit weird in X2 compared to X1. The zoom ruler is great but there is so much other weirdness that it somewhat negates that benefit. Like sometimes if I use Ctrl V to paste a clip or group of clips somewhere specific it lands in a totally wrong track and I have to drag them to where I want (which because of the Shift combos not behaving is a pain because I have to line everything up manually). Also if I drag clips left or right, especially groups of clips across tracks the screen scrolls down and the top track clips will try to move to the lower tracks and the clips below that will try to create new tracks to make room. I then have to drag them back up to the top but sometimes the screen won't autoscroll back up and I have to abort the function and try again. Sometimes when I'm trying to move a clip on the timeline and am trying to visually line up a wave peak to the timeline or another wave as I'm dragging the wave gets washed out and I can no longer see the peak. I basically have to guess where it is and repeat the process multiple times to get it to land where I want. Not very precise or convenient. I get things done but it takes far longer than it should because of all those problems and because none of these things are consistent it messes with my workflow/concentration. If I knew what was gonna happen every time I could just be prepared for it and do what has to be done but that is not the case.

Graphical errors. Pretty much every part of X2 seems to suffer from this. Notes, waves, parameters, etc... disappear/reappear/show the wrong status/generally act weird. I also get "ghosts" on screen (basically phantom images that aren't really there). This got a little better after the A patch but it still happens pretty often. It doesn't seem to hurt anything but it can be confusing, especially in the PRV. At first I thought it was just my graphics card being weird but any non promotional Sonar video I've seen shows this behavior as the person is working. You can even see some of this in the webinars and those guys are supposedly using the ideal set up. It has also been reported many times here on the forum. If the A patch made some of these weird visual glitches lessen than I can only assume that it was some kind of stability thing and another tweak might get it under control. I did not experience these types of glitches in X1.

So those are the main issues I have with X2. They aren't complete show stoppers and I ahve been working around them but they make working with the program a lot less enjoyable and efficient than they could be. There are MANY more other broken features and oddities but I can generally get around most of that easily or don't need those functions (yet) anyway. I have not as of yet reported all of this to the Bakers because I really have not had the time but once I have moved I intend to completely wipe my system and start from scratch. Before I do that I will be writing an extremely detailed report to tech support requesting advice on a) how to best set up my system (again) and b) how to minimize these problems. Some of it may indeed be user error but because many of it is intermittent that doesn't make a lot of sense. My computer (which I built specifically to run Sonar on following design specs from the Computers section of this site) is more than powerful enough and I optimized it according to the instructions given to me by tech support. To me, aside from audiosnap, these are all extremely basic functions for any DAW. I'm not sure if everyone experiences similar behavior and just ignore it or they don't work like I do or what but I do know that all of these issues have been brought up many times here on the forum. There are also WAY more problems that get reported here that I have never experienced and as I said I do not get constant crashes. Aside from the time I was forcing audiosnap to keep going as an experiment, the time I was trying to confirm that the loop keybinding was causing crashes and the well known Dim Pro patch browsing crashes I've only had maybe three full crashes out of the blue that I believe were directly related to X2 and those were usually me working too quickly. When those crashes happen they aren't nearly as drastic as in X1 either which would refuse to open for a few minutes afterward. X2 is pretty much instantly ready to open back up again. I do get consistent whitescreens when opening X2 or inserting a bunch of heavy duty something other but they only last a few moments and X2 goes back to what it doing. Those whitescreens actually seem to have lessened quite a bit too since I did a through cleaning of the system with CCleaner. I have not yet had a cahnce to really do any work since I did that so maybe that will have helped lessen the other weirdness that was going on as well. I'll have to wait until I'm moved to investigate further.

I did not post this to whine, bash, accuse or offend but to document some of the more common issues I've experienced that are indeed making it hard for me to work. It'll be a good reference for me to come back to for when I contact support because I haven't typed it up all at once like this before and maybe others have found solutions to some of this stuff they'd like to share. I did ignore a lot of it because I figured much of it would be fixed with the next patch but that patch never came and now it's looking like it never will. That to me is the disappointing part. I know the A patch helped and I know X2 is right on the brink of being stable. I just wish they had done that little bit extra to clean it up just a little bit more. I can handle SOME quirkiness but it seems I encounter at least one semi major annoyance every session. I'm afraid X3 is just gonna be more of the same. I'll definitely be waiting at least until the New Year to see what everyone is saying here before even considering upgrading.

I will not and do not bring these problems up often unless it's related to an ongoing discussion so please... if you are going to attack me for posting this don't bother. I will immediately block you to avoid more blowouts like what happened earlier.

Thank you.
musicroom
Max Output Level: -51 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2421
Re: Does this say a lot to you too? 50% off on Sonar X2 Upgrades! 2013/08/08 08:40:25 (permalink)
@beepster

I apologize, but I don't read all that many posts anymore so I'm out of the loop somewhat. In a nutshell, what are the showstoppers that are causing you pain with x2?

Dave
Songs

Beepster
Re: Does this say a lot to you too? 50% off on Sonar X2 Upgrades! 2013/08/08 08:57:00 (permalink)
musicroom
@beepster

I apologize, but I don't read all that many posts anymore so I'm out of the loop somewhat. In a nutshell, what are the showstoppers that are causing you pain with x2?

Hi, musicroom. Not showstoppers but many minor annoyances.

To boil that epic post down...

1) Selection issues. Things randomly getting selected causing havoc while editing. Once it starts it won't stop. Solution is to lock clips but that only works with clips. Not the PRV.

2) Audiosnap. It's just really buggy and hard to use. Lots of graphical issues and I cannot save in the middle of an audiosnap session (I have to finish what I'm doing and render before closing Sonar). If I try to save and close the project completely corrupts and becomes unusable.

3) Keybindings. Occasionally bindings seem to just stop working intermittently or they behave differently than their point/click counterparts. Some cause odd behavior and the Loop binding causes crashes.

4) Editing. Strange and erratic behavior when moving or copy/pasting clips as well as many other oddities.

5) Graphical errors. Waves getting washed out while moving things, things disappearing/reappearing randomly, false statuses, graphical "ghosts".

I can indeed work with X2 but it tends to be very laborious and I have a large list of workarounds and have to repeat actions multiple times as well as constantly double check my work. I also have to keep a very large set of Save As files (I have to save after completing pretty much any semi crucial step) in case I overlook an error due to the editing bug or something gets corrupted. X2 is awesome. Just too many quirks to be efficient. I'll still be using it for quite a while though even if I do try out other platforms.

Cheers.

PS: And I'm more than willing to accept that some of these issues may be system related as my HDD config is a little odd (which is why I intend to rehaul the whole system with the help of tech support) but I can't see all of them being because of that. Many of these things only appeared in X2 (X1 had it's own weirdness but those were more major but less frequent) and the patch did indeed help a bit. I'll be able to deal with it more thoroughly in a month or so after I'm set back up. I'll be doing much more thorough tests of everything so it is documented for the Bakers but by that time X3 will likely be out so I guess it will be moot aside from maybe correcting my own problems and perhaps helping others who decide to stick with X2 for a while as I will be more than willing to share what I find.
post edited by Beepster - 2013/08/08 09:16:57
musicroom
Max Output Level: -51 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2421
Re: Does this say a lot to you too? 50% off on Sonar X2 Upgrades! 2013/08/08 13:12:17 (permalink)
Beepster
musicroom
@beepster

Hi, musicroom. Not showstoppers but many minor annoyances.

To boil that epic post down...

1) Selection issues. Things randomly getting selected causing havoc while editing. Once it starts it won't stop. Solution is to lock clips but that only works with clips. Not the PRV.

2) Audiosnap. It's just really buggy and hard to use. Lots of graphical issues and I cannot save in the middle of an audiosnap session (I have to finish what I'm doing and render before closing Sonar). If I try to save and close the project completely corrupts and becomes unusable.

3) Keybindings. Occasionally bindings seem to just stop working intermittently or they behave differently than their point/click counterparts. Some cause odd behavior and the Loop binding causes crashes.

4) Editing. Strange and erratic behavior when moving or copy/pasting clips as well as many other oddities.

5) Graphical errors. Waves getting washed out while moving things, things disappearing/reappearing randomly, false statuses, graphical "ghosts".

I can indeed work with X2 but it tends to be very laborious and I have a large list of workarounds and have to repeat actions multiple times as well as constantly double check my work. I also have to keep a very large set of Save As files (I have to save after completing pretty much any semi crucial step) in case I overlook an error due to the editing bug or something gets corrupted. X2 is awesome. Just too many quirks to be efficient. I'll still be using it for quite a while though even if I do try out other platforms.

Cheers.

PS: And I'm more than willing to accept that some of these issues may be system related as my HDD config is a little odd (which is why I intend to rehaul the whole system with the help of tech support) but I can't see all of them being because of that. Many of these things only appeared in X2 (X1 had it's own weirdness but those were more major but less frequent) and the patch did indeed help a bit. I'll be able to deal with it more thoroughly in a month or so after I'm set back up. I'll be doing much more thorough tests of everything so it is documented for the Bakers but by that time X3 will likely be out so I guess it will be moot aside from maybe correcting my own problems and perhaps helping others who decide to stick with X2 for a while as I will be more than willing to share what I find.

Thanks for all the details - As I look through I can first of all give you a shout out for audiosnap being a dog to use. It sounds so good on paper and when I watch videos it looks usable - but it isn't  intuitive or fast enough for me to use. It gathers dust.

The only copy paste issues I've had are with take lanes. One needs a steady hand and patience. I typically avoid using them when editing. I find it easier to drag a lane to a track where everything works better. I don't have keybinding or selection problems. That would drive me crazy. 

The timeline still occasionally disappears. Nothing brings it back except closing and restarting sonar.

If your system is a little quirky then you may be right, that might be a contributor. Daw software likes a pretty computer. I got tired of quirky problems using my last pc, I saved a little coin and called Mr. Roseberry. He built this machine in 2010 and I have enjoyed smooth operations with several daw applications ever since. All the best to you. If I could ever be of assistance don't hesitate to give me a shout.

Dave
Songs

trimph1
Max Output Level: -12 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 6348
Re: Does this say a lot to you too? 50% off on Sonar X2 Upgrades! 2013/08/08 15:11:33 (permalink)
bitflipper
Every time I got another email from CW offering a lower upgrade price than the previous one, I'd look at it and think "OK, is this low enough to sway me now?". Each time, the answer was "nah". After this last offer I had to accept the unpleasant fact that I wouldn't go for it even if it were offered free of charge.

But, ever the optimist, I'll still be taking a look at X3!

You know...I have yet to see any email from these guys...really. Not even in trash or spam...mmmm
I'd love to see X3 come out as well....and...as well as you...I'm looking forward to it!!

The space you have will always be exceeded in direct proportion to the amount of stuff you have...Thornton's Postulate.

Bushpianos
Beepster
Re: Does this say a lot to you too? 50% off on Sonar X2 Upgrades! 2013/08/08 15:44:13 (permalink)
musicroom

Thanks for all the details - As I look through I can first of all give you a shout out for audiosnap being a dog to use. It sounds so good on paper and when I watch videos it looks usable - but it isn't  intuitive or fast enough for me to use. It gathers dust.

The only copy paste issues I've had are with take lanes. One needs a steady hand and patience. I typically avoid using them when editing. I find it easier to drag a lane to a track where everything works better. I don't have keybinding or selection problems. That would drive me crazy. 

The timeline still occasionally disappears. Nothing brings it back except closing and restarting sonar.

If your system is a little quirky then you may be right, that might be a contributor. Daw software likes a pretty computer. I got tired of quirky problems using my last pc, I saved a little coin and called Mr. Roseberry. He built this machine in 2010 and I have enjoyed smooth operations with several daw applications ever since. All the best to you. If I could ever be of assistance don't hesitate to give me a shout.

Thanks. Yeah I know could probably tweak this system a little better (even though I did do quite a bit already) and the fact a good CCleaner scrubbing made X2 a little snappier at least as far as opening/closing the program tells me the registry may have been a mess (I don't know how it would because it's not like I'm adding/removing stuff all the time but it did). I will be digging deep into all this soon enough and am annoyed I've had to yet again drop everything music related to deal with life chaos but I know I can get it working a LITTLE better once I have more time. I've even considered seeing if Jim or one of the other pro DAW builders will do a paid email/phone consultation for me if that's what it comes down to but I really don't have much money so I'm trying to avoid that.

The thing is though some things are just wonky in Sonar which is fine IF it was getting worked on as more of a support thing and not another paid upgrade. I posted my views on that earlier so I won't go into it again but one patch for a major release that clearly has some issues seems... well, not right. Maybe I'm expecting too much but I really do need some more stability and I don't think I should have to completely poke into every single nook and cranny of my system to get it. It's a nice rig free and clear of any gack and I baby it. I just don't get it.

Whatever... nothing's going to change at this point so I'm just yelling at clouds and it DOES work if I muscle through things so it's useless. Just a little nerve wracking, yanno? I'll get it sorted out one way or another.

Thanks for the reply. You're a good one. ;-)
bitflipper
01100010 01101001 01110100 01100110 01101100 01101
  • Total Posts : 26036
Re: Does this say a lot to you too? 50% off on Sonar X2 Upgrades! 2013/08/08 17:59:33 (permalink)
trimph1
You know...I have yet to see any email from these guys...really. Not even in trash or spam...mmmm
I'd love to see X3 come out as well....and...as well as you...I'm looking forward to it!!

I could start forwarding mine to you if you like. How are you doing for IKM and GForce emails? I get at least one a day from each of them.

All else is in doubt, so this is the truth I cling to. 

My Stuff
wizard71
Max Output Level: -74 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 836
Re: Does this say a lot to you too? 50% off on Sonar X2 Upgrades! 2013/08/08 18:33:52 (permalink)
I think mike makes very intelligent and helpful posts but with a hint of ..... in acceptable areas. On a side note, there is definitely just as much conflict than positive interaction on this forum these days and Ive only been here since X1b ... I'm sure that has a significance somehow, or maybe nothing happens for a reason.

http://www.youtube.com/SpaceTimeAces
https://soundcloud.com/space-time-aces
Sonar Platinum - Win 8.1 x64 - Haswell 4770k - ASrock Z87 pro3 - 32gb ram - Fractal design R4 case - 3x HDD 1 USB 2.0 external 1x cr M4 ssd for samples - Octa-capture - Sontronics Aria - Sontronics STC-1s - BX8 monitors - ARC 2 system - Kawai CA63 piano - Kawai MP6 Stage piano - Fender custom Telecaster FMT - Yamaha LL6 - Fender P bass

leebut
Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 138
Re: Does this say a lot to you too? 50% off on Sonar X2 Upgrades! 2013/08/10 16:21:49 (permalink)
It double posted. Sorry.

Sonar X3; Sonar X2a Essential; Music Creator 6

Windows 7 Professional  (64-bit)
ASUS M5A97 EVO R2; 8Gb DDR3 1866 Vengeance RAM; AMD FX 6300 CPU

MOTU Microbook II
leebut
Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 138
Re: Does this say a lot to you too? 50% off on Sonar X2 Upgrades! 2013/08/10 16:22:02 (permalink)
It's not only Cakewalk with a 50% off August sale.
Presouns are also running a 50% off sale on Studio One 2. Studio One 2.5 has been just released as a FREE major update. Problem with PS is that you have to buy the expensive professional version to get 64-bit processing, which is not in the sale.
I am considering buying Sonar x2 at the new low price. I only hope Cakewalk follow Presonus' route and provide their next update free as well.
post edited by leebut - 2013/08/10 16:39:59

Sonar X3; Sonar X2a Essential; Music Creator 6

Windows 7 Professional  (64-bit)
ASUS M5A97 EVO R2; 8Gb DDR3 1866 Vengeance RAM; AMD FX 6300 CPU

MOTU Microbook II
JonD
Max Output Level: -39 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3617
Re: Does this say a lot to you too? 50% off on Sonar X2 Upgrades! 2013/08/10 19:16:45 (permalink)
leebut
.... Problem with PS is that you have to buy the expensive professional version to get 64-bit processing, which is not in the sale.

This is misleading.  The 64 bit you are referring to has to do with the internal audio engine.  Many users (including me) don't give a flip about the double-precision internal processing -- in fact, I have it turned off in Sonar.
The 64-bit ability that most folks are concerned about has to do with allowing access to large amounts of ram.  AFAIK, all versions of Studio One have this capability.

SonarPlat/CWbBL, Win 10 Pro, i7 2600K, Asus P8Z68 Deluxe, 16GB DDR3, Radeon HD5450, TC Electronic Impact Twin, Kawai MP11 Piano, Event ALP Monitors, Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro, Too Many Plugins, My lucky hat.
bobguitkillerleft
Max Output Level: -72 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 944
Re: Does this say a lot to you too? 50% off on Sonar X2 Upgrades! 2013/08/10 19:38:15 (permalink)
Good on you Beepster,for getting elicenser to work!

I've tried 3 different Cubase LE's and never get past the elicenser runaround ha ha.
Cheers
Bob

https://soundcloud.com/rks26https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Hitmen Lenovo W540 Factoryrefurb SONAR PLATINUM,Ozone 7 N.I. KA6 Komplete 9 SSD4 Platinum Epi L/H LP Custom Headstock broken twice and fixed.Gibson L/H Les Paul 2010 Wine Red Studio stupid Right Hand Vol.Tone for Left Hand?LH84Ibanez RS135 gen.FloydRose JB Marshall 100w 2203 4x25w Celestion Green backs
"You are what you is"-Frank Zappa "But I'm gonna wave my freak flag high"-Jimi Hendrix    
cclarry
  • Total Posts : 20964
Re: Does this say a lot to you too? 50% off on Sonar X2 Upgrades! 2013/08/10 19:40:16 (permalink)
Paul P
Keni
mike_mccue
I watched one of those "here's how my SONAR bug works" Youtube videos last week and I realized I had forgotten how ugly the SONAR gui looks.

I'd like to beg to differ.  We had a family gathering this evening in honour of a my brother-in-law who is visiting from LA.  He's a professional doing audio for the film industry.  An Apple guy, exclusively ProTools (like everyone else in his line of work).  He'd never heard of Sonar.  A couple of hours ago I showed him my X2P, first loaded with one of the demo songs that comes with X2, then a small project that just had each important synth loaded for easy demoing.

I've said this before, but I'm going to repeat it :  [on my 30" Dell monitor] X2 looks absolutely fantastic.  ProTools is not even close.  I was pretty proud to show it off.

Leaving the rest of X2 aside, I'm extremely happy with the way it looks.

[Just wanted to slip this in before Ryan locks the thread ]

I agree...X2 has the best interface around, barring none, in my opinion...and the best workflow...I absolutely love it...I've been applauding it since X1 was initially released...but, that's also just my opinion...

Page: < 12345 > Showing page 3 of 5
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1