Cakewalk Songs Forum: Should someone administer Last Rites?

Page: < 12345 Showing page 5 of 5
Author
timidi
Max Output Level: -21 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5449
Re:Cakewalk Songs Forum: Should someone administer Last Rites? 2011/07/20 19:42:19 (permalink)
savageopera

They only let me out of my restraints occasionally, and on that occasion, I post............

Nice post. Succinct and to the point. Especially like the ending.

ASUS P8P67, i7-2600K, CORSAIR 16GB, HIS 5450, 3 Samsung SSD 850, Win7 64, RME AIO.

https://timbowman.bandcamp.com/releases

spacealf
Max Output Level: -54 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2133
Re:Cakewalk Songs Forum: Should someone administer Last Rites? 2011/07/21 13:48:19 (permalink)
Unfortunately, we are all "Stuckies" here on Planet Earth. Ain't no one leaving anytime soon and escaping!
And there will always be - MUSIC!

BIABDude
Max Output Level: -77 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 676
Re:Cakewalk Songs Forum: Should someone administer Last Rites? 2011/07/21 14:23:25 (permalink)

"STUCKEY's"--- they use to have the BEST pecan logs . . . .

post edited by BIABDude - 2011/07/21 14:25:50
droddey
Max Output Level: -24 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5147
Re:Cakewalk Songs Forum: Should someone administer Last Rites? 2011/07/21 14:25:51 (permalink)
I thought there were only innies and outies, stuckies sounds really bad.

Dean Roddey
Chairman/CTO, Charmed Quark Systems
www.charmedquark.com
ruralrocker2010
Max Output Level: -78 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 616
Re:Cakewalk Songs Forum: Should someone administer Last Rites? 2011/07/21 17:15:14 (permalink)
I'm moving, and working 60 hour work weeks with 2 jobs. Got to make hay while the sun is shining.

I've written several tunes, but just haven't been able to record.

Joshua Barnes
Sonar Platinum / RME UCX / i5 3.2 8 GB Memory (Dell Inspiron) / Komplete 10 / Win 7 Home 64 Bit
ruralrocker2010
Max Output Level: -78 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 616
Re:Cakewalk Songs Forum: Should someone administer Last Rites? 2011/07/21 17:16:23 (permalink)
And also - I think people really need to work harder at Titles to their forum posts. If the title isn't interesting, guess what? I don't click it. May sound rude, but seriously...a little effort goes a long way.
PS - I don't mean the titles to their song - but rather to their forum post, trying to get me to listen to a song.

Joshua Barnes
Sonar Platinum / RME UCX / i5 3.2 8 GB Memory (Dell Inspiron) / Komplete 10 / Win 7 Home 64 Bit
droddey
Max Output Level: -24 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5147
Re:Cakewalk Songs Forum: Should someone administer Last Rites? 2011/07/21 22:03:17 (permalink)
I'm going to name my next song "Pretty Russian Girl Wants to Meet You".

Dean Roddey
Chairman/CTO, Charmed Quark Systems
www.charmedquark.com
Bub
Max Output Level: -3.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 7196
Re:Cakewalk Songs Forum: Should someone administer Last Rites? 2011/07/22 00:24:54 (permalink)
Good one droddey ... how about "Coupon for free buffet"? :)

"I pulled the head off Elvis, filled Fred up to his pelvis, yaba daba do, the King is gone, and so are you."
paulo
Max Output Level: -13 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 6218
Re:Cakewalk Songs Forum: Should someone administer Last Rites? 2011/07/22 06:37:14 (permalink)
I've not been as active on here of late because I have been abroad and away from computers  :) and before that was kind of busy with real work :(

That said, prior to both of those things, I was kind of turned off by some of what seemed to be happening. First off,  there seemed to be a glut of people who had no interest in anything other than themselves. By this, I mean that they were posting their own stuff, but didn't seem to give any time whatsoever listening to others. For the record, I'm not someone who thinks....." I listened to you, so you have to listen to me..." I'm not bothered if they don't listen to mine in particular as long as they contribute in some way by listening/commenting to someone else, but I do avoid those who seem never to return the favour to anyone at all.

Around the same time there was also some that had maybe 5 or 6 tunes up at once all in different threads. Rightly or wrongly I also tend to put those kind of people in the "Me, Me, Me" category. So I also avoid them.

There are also those who don't seem to know when to stop pushing their old tune that's been up for months and keep finding excuses to bump it to the top month after month, by deliberately delaying responses to comments received or  by posting "re-mix no. 197". With these, I just yawn....and move on to the next one.

As far as people who think that they are not "qualified" to comment, I don't think it matters. I'm not "qualified", but we all know what we like or don't and we all know how it sounds to us and to me any kind of feedback is welcome, whether it be technical or just a matter of taste. Essentially, we are all trying to acheive a universal mix that translates well to all environments, so even if the only comment is it sounds crap on your laptop, but you don't know have the technical know how to fix it,  I still wanna know, because that's where a lot of people will listen, so I want to know I have to make it sound better.

There's really nothing wrong with just the odd pat on the back either.I hear what people are saying about the "sincerity" of those who seem to like absolutely everything and thus whether those comments are actually of any value, but my take on that is that if those comments encourage someone else to keep trying however good/bad they currently are, then they're still valid. I do appreciate honesty, but I would also never post something like " it sucks, find another hobby " because that is just unnecassary. If I've got nothing constructive to say then I say nothing. Some would call this a lack of honesty, but I don't see the point in crushing people.

Finally, there's the drama queens - I avoid them too for the obvious reasons.

All that said, I'm happy to report that I've listened to and commented on some really good stuff this morning, so we're not dead just yet, so hopefully it's just the summer lull.

Jamz0r
Max Output Level: -58 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1725
Re:Cakewalk Songs Forum: Should someone administer Last Rites? 2011/07/22 10:10:26 (permalink)
Most times when I attempt to post the forum software doesn't allow me to...  I know I could use another browser, and I do have one installed, but I don't want to, so I don't post.  lol 
SteveStrummerUK
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 31112
Re:Cakewalk Songs Forum: Should someone administer Last Rites? 2011/07/22 10:29:36 (permalink)

Hey Jamz, how's it going.

Nice of you to offer to perform/mix/master Radio's stuff

(BTW, the link to your website in your signature doesn't work)

Music:     The Coffee House BandVeRy MeTaL

Jamz0r
Re:Cakewalk Songs Forum: Should someone administer Last Rites? 2011/07/22 10:32:48 (permalink)
lol

Yeah, I noticed that...
I haven't updated it in eons anyway...
SteveStrummerUK
Re:Cakewalk Songs Forum: Should someone administer Last Rites? 2011/07/22 10:34:05 (permalink)

I took a look anyway mate - very nice!

A now I know what the 'OR' stands for

Jamz0r
Re:Cakewalk Songs Forum: Should someone administer Last Rites? 2011/07/22 10:41:09 (permalink)
Ha!  Thanks Steve...
I think I fixed the link.
Chappel
Max Output Level: -52.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2300
Re:Cakewalk Songs Forum: Should someone administer Last Rites? 2011/07/22 11:22:59 (permalink)
ruralrocker2010

And also - I think people really need to work harder at Titles to their forum posts. If the title isn't interesting, guess what? I don't click it. May sound rude, but seriously...a little effort goes a long way.
PS - I don't mean the titles to their song - but rather to their forum post, trying to get me to listen to a song.

I see that a lot in the other forums. I wonder how may threads there are that are titled HELP!

Chappel
Max Output Level: -52.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2300
Re:Cakewalk Songs Forum: Should someone administer Last Rites? 2011/07/22 12:49:14 (permalink)
Well, I have a tune almost ready for a first serious mix and posting but I can't decide whether to record a vocal or use a Microsoft text to speech voice. One way would be funnier and the other would be good practice for editing a Microsoft text to speech voice. decisions, decisions, decisions....
Bub
Max Output Level: -3.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 7196
Re:Cakewalk Songs Forum: Should someone administer Last Rites? 2011/07/22 13:15:49 (permalink)
paulo

I've not been as active on here of late because I have been abroad and away from computers  :) and before that was kind of busy with real work :(

That said, prior to both of those things, I was kind of turned off by some of what seemed to be happening. First off,  there seemed to be a glut of people who had no interest in anything other than themselves. By this, I mean that they were posting their own stuff, but didn't seem to give any time whatsoever listening to others. For the record, I'm not someone who thinks....." I listened to you, so you have to listen to me..." I'm not bothered if they don't listen to mine in particular as long as they contribute in some way by listening/commenting to someone else, but I do avoid those who seem never to return the favour to anyone at all.

Around the same time there was also some that had maybe 5 or 6 tunes up at once all in different threads. Rightly or wrongly I also tend to put those kind of people in the "Me, Me, Me" category. So I also avoid them.

There are also those who don't seem to know when to stop pushing their old tune that's been up for months and keep finding excuses to bump it to the top month after month, by deliberately delaying responses to comments received or  by posting "re-mix no. 197". With these, I just yawn....and move on to the next one.

As far as people who think that they are not "qualified" to comment, I don't think it matters. I'm not "qualified", but we all know what we like or don't and we all know how it sounds to us and to me any kind of feedback is welcome, whether it be technical or just a matter of taste. Essentially, we are all trying to acheive a universal mix that translates well to all environments, so even if the only comment is it sounds crap on your laptop, but you don't know have the technical know how to fix it,  I still wanna know, because that's where a lot of people will listen, so I want to know I have to make it sound better.

There's really nothing wrong with just the odd pat on the back either.I hear what people are saying about the "sincerity" of those who seem to like absolutely everything and thus whether those comments are actually of any value, but my take on that is that if those comments encourage someone else to keep trying however good/bad they currently are, then they're still valid. I do appreciate honesty, but I would also never post something like " it sucks, find another hobby " because that is just unnecassary. If I've got nothing constructive to say then I say nothing. Some would call this a lack of honesty, but I don't see the point in crushing people.

So, to sum it all up in one sentence ...

You pretty much dislike everyone here?

LOL!

"I pulled the head off Elvis, filled Fred up to his pelvis, yaba daba do, the King is gone, and so are you."
paulo
Max Output Level: -13 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 6218
Re:Cakewalk Songs Forum: Should someone administer Last Rites? 2011/07/22 14:10:22 (permalink)

So, to sum it all up in one sentence ...

You pretty much dislike everyone here?

LOL!

Haha ! Yeah, reading my post back now, it does kinda sound that way, but no, there are plenty of good people here too to whom I am eternally grateful for their help and encouragement and have utmost respect for their musical and produciton abilities. In fact,  a fair portion of the music I have on my mp3 player, which I listen to most days is the work of  the good people on the songs forum. It did seem for a few weeks though that the forum was mostly populated by the people I mentioned, so I didn't really feel inclined to participate for a few weeks. I have had private conversations with other regular forum contributors who felt the same at that time too and also gave it a wide berth for a few weeks.
At the end of the day, it's a public forum and I'm not saying that the people that I choose to avoid shouldn't be here or anything, I was just explaining with reference to the OP why my level of participation has been lower of late.
SteveStrummerUK
Re:Cakewalk Songs Forum: Should someone administer Last Rites? 2011/07/22 15:09:04 (permalink)
paulo

All that said, I'm happy to report that I've listened to and commented on some really good stuff this morning, so we're not dead just yet, so hopefully it's just the summer lull.

+1 Paul

Well thought out post that I find myself agreeing with all the way through.

evadianepug
Max Output Level: -30.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4477
Re:Cakewalk Songs Forum: Should someone administer Last Rites? 2011/07/23 16:37:28 (permalink)
Well, personally I used to try to get up here every ffew days.  Now it seems like I have more and more days between visits.  It's been 3 or 4 weks now.  I have been doing parts for people and trying to get some work done on our tunes.  That would be easy but I threw my back out and have been in a lot of pain.  I'm not making excuses just explanations.  i have really loved this forum and other than the times threads get personal and vitriolic it is a lot of fun.  As I said last thim this subject was broached and as I saw on one of the previous posts, there are quite a ew people who post and don't comment on other people's tunes.  Oh, well.  The anchor people are here and that's the ones I listen to.  I listen to new people , or old people who never comment, and move on.  There's my method, though it's really not important. To all of you I wsh a very nice day.  Oh, Robby has a way with words but I have to agree with the post above this one, even though it's Robby.  LOL!  Sorry, buddy!

Fairy tales do not tell children that dragons exist. Children already know that dragons exist. Fairy tales tell children the dragons can be killed. (GK Chesterton

Warren (Pug) Willingham
THE PUGTONES
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=919339&content=music
SonarX3
julibee
Max Output Level: -47 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2826
Re:Cakewalk Songs Forum: Should someone administer Last Rites? 2011/07/27 01:31:55 (permalink)
 I know that I'm dredging up a post that's probably been beaten to death, but I thought it was important, given how supportive you all have been to me... Aside from the righteous Danni Danzi post (Well said!!) and what some others have mentioned, my sob story is that I am almost always on the iPad these days. I truly don't have enough time to hang out in front of the pc, so everything is done in little bursts. Sure, I might have time here and there to listen to a song, but for the vast majority of songs, I can't. Why? No joy for SoundClick or Reverbnation or just about any other place for the iPad. Yes, I've downloaded the SounClick app, but it requires remembering the real name or the band name, followed by a search, just to hear the music. There's no click through. I've done it a few times, but it isn't easy. And I'm apparently an idiot. So. There's a few songs in my pipeline, both from Sweden and LawnGuyLand, and a 90% completed video, but those have all been floundering due to summer, vacations, and a nasty two week sinus infection. Ugh. I do have one that could use some crits, but I don't want to post it for fear that I'll get booed for not having been around. And as I'm leaving tomorrow for two weeks, I'd better just leave it at that.

She who must be obeyed. ***New and Improved with a Scarlett 8i6!***
Soundcloud     www.juliannamcduffie.com
Beagle
  • Total Posts : 50621
Re:Cakewalk Songs Forum: Should someone administer Last Rites? 2011/07/27 12:50:12 (permalink)
julibee

I know that I'm dredging up a post that's probably been beaten to death, but I thought it was important, given how supportive you all have been to me... Aside from the righteous Danni Danzi post (Well said!!) and what some others have mentioned, my sob story is that I am almost always on the iPad these days. I truly don't have enough time to hang out in front of the pc, so everything is done in little bursts. Sure, I might have time here and there to listen to a song, but for the vast majority of songs, I can't. Why? No joy for SoundClick or Reverbnation or just about any other place for the iPad. Yes, I've downloaded the SounClick app, but it requires remembering the real name or the band name, followed by a search, just to hear the music. There's no click through. I've done it a few times, but it isn't easy. And I'm apparently an idiot. So. There's a few songs in my pipeline, both from Sweden and LawnGuyLand, and a 90% completed video, but those have all been floundering due to summer, vacations, and a nasty two week sinus infection. Ugh. I do have one that could use some crits, but I don't want to post it for fear that I'll get booed for not having been around. And as I'm leaving tomorrow for two weeks, I'd better just leave it at that.
Anyone who would do that would be a poor forum member, IMO, and I would not even pay them any attention.

Yes, we should all try to contribute to others' posts and not be completely selfish.  but when someone doesn't contribute to others' posts - they should not be "bashed" or "ridiculed" or "harassed" about it.  Passive objection should be the correct way to handle that situation - otherwise you end up looking like the selfless a$$ yourself because it looks like you're only wanting them to pay attention to your own material (those who would bash and harass those who do not comment on anyone else's songs).

If you don't want to comment on someone's songs because you think they're being selfish then don't.  but harassment because they don't is inappropriate, IMO.
post edited by Beagle - 2011/07/27 13:25:43

http://soundcloud.com/beaglesound/sets/featured-songs-1
i7, 16G DDR3, Win10x64, MOTU Ultralite Hybrid MK3
Yamaha MOXF6, Hammond XK3c, other stuff.
spacealf
Max Output Level: -54 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2133
Re:Cakewalk Songs Forum: Should someone administer Last Rites? 2011/07/27 13:00:54 (permalink)
I guess this may be the thread for "Talking Heads". Okay, I suppose, time permitting.

Faust1587
Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 64
Re:Cakewalk Songs Forum: Should someone administer Last Rites? 2011/07/27 16:27:48 (permalink)
I guess I haven't been around much either.  I have been one of those people that posts music once and awhile.  I then reply to other people's music during that same once and awhile.   I have been working on music, but haven't found anything post-worthy... The creative process for me takes a long time.  Yes I work, but I still have time for other things.   I guess my main reason for not posting music lately is I wanted to find an outlet in 'real life'- like joining a band.  I still check here once and awhile.  I would like to find other forums like this though...for songwriting and recording.  I hope this place sticks around. 
theguitarplayer
Max Output Level: -40 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3523
Re:Cakewalk Songs Forum: Should someone administer Last Rites? 2011/07/27 21:00:27 (permalink)
Ah yes, the pride of man! I think people create their own mess and then they want to mess with everybody else. It is a shame, but a part of reality. The perfect and trained, should be kind, loving mentors, and some are, while others are still doing their mess of mentoring. Why then do you ask what has happened to this forum - Reality has struck and the mess still continues. The blind leading the blind. at times, and then there are those having fun, those that doen't care about anyone but themself and how good post a song makes them feel, and then there are those just looking for some good honest feedback without an attitude, and then there are the whatevers!!

Personally, I post on about 10 different sites with 10 different topics, so I just stop bye from time to time and hope I can share and listen and comment and recieve comments. I'm no pro, but I do enjoy the many talented people on this forum and other forums as well.

Blessings, John

Sonar X3 Studio, Acid Pro 7, Sound Forge Pro 9, Sonicfire Pro 5, Kinetic 2, Cinescore, HP Pavilion dv7, CORE i7, Q-740, 8gb Ram, Windows 7- 64 bit, 4 tb mem , Audiobox USB, Digitech GNX4, Gibson SG1 & SG3, Martin J65M, Washburn Custom Cumberland, 3 Marshall Amps, Casio 365 Keyboard, M-Audio Axiom AIR Mini 32,  Behringer Truth Monitors, Garritan Aria, EWQLCC, Alloy 2, Ozone 6, Melodyne 

http://www.soundclick.com/JohnRKennedy
Page: < 12345 Showing page 5 of 5
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1