Helpful ReplyNo notation fixes!

Page: << < ..678910.. > >> Showing page 7 of 40
Author
microapp
Max Output Level: -77 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 653
Re: No notation fixes! 2015/01/23 12:42:39 (permalink)
Hmm 2009, that would be what, Sonar 8.0,8.5 ?
X1 undid any advances made in SV for the most part.
An Articulation Lane ? wow.
Interesting that Cake now thinks nobody is interested in SV.
I am curious as to how they are arrived at that.

Sonar Platinum, Cubase Pro 8.5, Reaper 5, Studio One 2
Melodyne Studio 4, Finale 2012
I7-5820K 4.5GHz, 32 GB DDR4-2800,3 monitors,Win 10 Pro
Toshiba P75-A7100,l7-4900 2.4 Ghz/8MB Win 8.1 Pro
Tascam FW-1884, Emu 0404USB, CMC-AI,Axiom 61
Yamaha HS-50's, Sony SA-W2500, Sennheiser RS170's, ATH-M50
Ibanez Jem7VWH, RG-1570
Jackson DK2-S(Sustainiac),Les Paul Custom
Digitech Valve-FX, GFX-1,TSR-24,RP-90
Paul P
Max Output Level: -48.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2685
Re: No notation fixes! 2015/01/23 12:44:58 (permalink)

Earlier today I came across this interesting post by czyky :

Notation/Staff view can help your mixes, even if you don't read music

Sonar Platinum [2017.10], Win7U x64 sp1, Xeon E5-1620 3.6 GHz, Asus P9X79WS, 16 GB ECC, 128gb SSD, HD7950, Mackie Blackjack
vintagevibe
Max Output Level: -51 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2446
Re: No notation fixes! 2015/01/23 13:06:20 (permalink)
microapp

Especially since all the other major players came to the opposite conclusion.
cparmerlee
Max Output Level: -67 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1153
Re: No notation fixes! 2015/01/23 13:35:35 (permalink)
vintagevibe
microapp

Especially since all the other major players came to the opposite conclusion.

I assume it is a decision to focus on core competencies, which is probably a wise move, considering the shape SONAR X2 was in under Roland.  I am glad they prioritized as they did.

However, today is a much different situation.  The DAW core is excellent.  Very reliable, high performing, and competitive feature-wise.  It seems like a good time to look ahead.

The whole notion of a "DAW" came abut as a fusion of sequencing and recording.  I see another such fusion ahead.  Most people who use notation programs heavily are not exposed to DAWs at all, or at least don't integrate them into their work.  But most professional musicians (the kind that get paid decent salaries in Broadway, Nashville, Hollywood, and the professional symphony orchestras) are extremely notation-oriented.  You don't walk into an LA studio and say to the 40 musicians you have hired, "I have some concepts we want to try out today."  No, you put charts in front of them so they can lay down the tracks and get out of there at the least cost to you.

And the DAW can be an essential part of the preparations for those expensive sessions.  A good rendering in advance of the studio date allows the producer and arranger to work out virtually 100% of the issues before they pay their first studio pro.

None of the DAW-based notation programs have 5% of the power that a notation professional needs.  The exception on the horizon could be Steinberg, with their new notation program being developed by Daniel Spreadbury, who previously headed the development of Sibelius.  While I am sure there are various little tweaks that could improve the existing notation views in the DAWs, the real opportunity lies in integrating the major notation programs with the DAW.  That is what can realistically lead to the next market fusion point.

Gibson can't control (and maybe not even influence) the plans of Finale and Sibelius, as both of those products are more or less on life support.  But there actually are some interesting opportunities with the products as they currently exist.  I'll speak from the point of view of a Finale user.  I have a Sibelius license, but don't ever use the product.  Finale has rich support of MusicXML.  If you export your score to MusicXML, that contains practically everything that is needed to produce a full printable score (i.e. the notes, articulations, expressions, slurs, etc.)  And importantly, it contains the score's schema, which defines exactly what instruments are used on each staff.  It should be possible to write a SONAR import function that would read the MusicXML file and create a ready-to-use Sonar project.  That would be a huge benefit.  If I had that, I would do all my rendering directly under Sonar instead of within Finale.

I don't believe the MusicXML includes the MIDI commands per se, so that import process would have to translate note information into MIDI, and to do a good job, it should take into account the effects of articulations and expressions.  That brings up a potential second point of integration.  With Finale, you can certainly save the MIDI file that corresponds to your notes.  More importantly, Finale has a mode called Human Playback, which does a really good job of interpreting all those articulations, expressions, tempo marks, and adding MIDI controller commands to make the playback even more life-like.

There is a tool in Finale where you can force Human Playback to save all of its adjustments into the MIDI file.  So it would be really cool if Sonar could process the MusicXML project to set up the project, attach the synths, etc, then import the full MIDI file including the human playback information.  That would put the producer in the position of just needing to do final MIDI tweaks, a little mixing, and some VST effects to bring this around to a very nice playback.

My point is this is likely to be an area of convergence in the future, and I'd hope that Cakewalk can recognize that and take some strides in that area.
post edited by cparmerlee - 2015/01/24 08:31:23

DAW: SONAR Platinum Audio I/F: Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 gen2
OS: Windows 10 64-bit CPU: Haswell 4790 4.0 GHz, 4 core, 8 thread  Memory: 16 GB      Video: GTX-760Ti
Storage: Sandisk SSD 500GB for active projects. ReadyNAS 20 TB for long-term storage

sonocrafters.com
vintagevibe
Re: No notation fixes! 2015/01/23 14:09:29 (permalink)
Actually I suspect it may be because the kicked they ball down the road for so many years that they are afraid to touch the code now.  I have to fault Cakewalk for that decision if true.
post edited by vintagevibe - 2015/01/24 11:17:22
cityrat
  • Total Posts : 671
Re: No notation fixes! 2015/01/23 14:26:57 (permalink)
I would think that there should be some sort of fusion with Hal Leonard that could really benefit from a great SV.

Imagine if the published stuff that Hal Leonard distributes has SONAR files that included the music clips WITH STAFF aligned to the tempo of the sound clips etc.   (and probably "TAB" for some people).   Maybe have a SONAR "player" version that was free but could read only these files.

I but a LOT of music books / instruction books from Hal Leonard.  If they came with that type of file - it would be amazing for education.  I for the life of me can't understand why it hasn't been done before.

Basically - SONAR can do this NOW.  But it would make SV a much more "important" part of the puzzle and give it the focus for more resources.

http://www.halleonard.com...d=6961&subsiteid=1

Hal Leonard Senior VP of Sales Doug Lady states, "Although Cakewalk's roots go back over 25 years, they've always remained on the cutting edge of innovation with products like their flagship recording program, SONAR. Their current product line complements what we offer, is ideal for instructional bundles, and presents new opportunities for retailers by offering a product family that spans the range from beginner to recording professional."

Sonar Platinum | Windows 7 64 bit SP1 | Intel i5 3570 3.4GHz | 8GB RAM | Gigabyte GA-B75-D3H | OCZ SSD | RME 9632
rabeach
Max Output Level: -48 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2703
Re: No notation fixes! 2015/01/23 17:27:12 (permalink)
jsg
rabeach
It is difficult at best not to be cynical when we have been waiting for almost two decades. SV worked better in pro audio 9 than it does now.

How so?  There have been minor improvements such as adding and eventually darkening the color of the staff view track pane, but everything else is pretty much the same.  The disappearance of note icons actually sped things up for me, using keybinding for note values turns out to be faster, although I still think they should return the icons because they're very useful too, and they offer visual cues.  That's the only real change I know of........

JG
http://www.jerrygerber.com/symphony8.htm
http://www.jerrygerber.com

this is a subjective observation on my part.

sonar x3e
To enter a triplet
1.         Enable Snap to Grid in the Control Bar’s Snap module.
2.         Select the Draw tool in the Control Bar.
3.         Select a triplet note duration in the Tools module.
4.         Enter the first note at the desired location in the staff.
SONAR inserts all three triplet notes at the same pitch. You can then drag the second and third notes to their correct pitch locations.

pro audio 9
To Enter a Triplet
1.         Turn on the Snap to Time option.
2.         Click the Draw tool .
3.         Click the appropriate notehead button.
4.         Select the Triplet option .
5.         Enter the first note at the desired location in the staff.
Cakewalk inserts all three triplet notes at the same pitch. You can then drag the second and third notes to their correct pitch locations.

seems to work in pro audio 9. I didn't even need to read the help file. I didn't go all out in my testing but it was easy to enter triplets in pro audio 9. I cannot get it to work in X3e. Probably user error. If I misspoke about it working better in pro audio 9 based on a subjective ease of use I will retract my statement. I stopped using the staff view in sonar in 2000 when I purchased finale. Pro audio 9 staff view works similar to finale.
post edited by rabeach - 2015/01/23 17:45:30
rabeach
Max Output Level: -48 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2703
Re: No notation fixes! 2015/01/23 17:59:25 (permalink)
cakewalk would have better served the staff view in the X series by allowing the child (staff view notehead buttons) to write to the parent (control bar and tools module) while the staff view was active. Instead they got rid of the noteheads which makes it much more difficult to work in the staff view. Just my opinion though.
polarbear
Max Output Level: -66 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1212
Re: No notation fixes! 2015/01/23 18:03:33 (permalink)
I'm one of the rare people who doesn't read/write music (at least not WELL haha), but uses the staff view for all my midi editing (it's just the way I learned and I can't really wrap my head around any other way). I would LOVE if Cakewalk would add some new improvements to notation. Definitely a little disappointed that there doesn't seem to be much of an improvement this time around.

http://www.bydavidrosen.com
http://www.imdb.me/davidrosen
Winner of Best Song of 2007 at Acidplanet.com!

PC Audio Labs Rokbox OB1 - Gigabyte X99-UD4-CF - Intel Core i7 5820K @ 3.30GHz - 32GB RAM - ATI Radeon HD 7700 - Windows 7 Pro
Sonar Platinum - Komplete 9 Ultimate - Spectrasonics Omnisphere - reFX Nexus2 - And the list goes on...
RME BabyFace Pro - M-Audio Keystation 88es
microapp
Re: No notation fixes! 2015/01/23 22:17:41 (permalink)
cparmerlee

Finale has rich support of MusicXML.  If you export your score to MusicXML, that contains practically everything that is needed to produce a full printable score (i.e. the notes, articulations, expressions, slurs, etc.)  And importantly, it contains the score's schema, which defines exactly what instruments are used on each staff.  It should be possible to write a SONAR import function that would read the MusicXML file and create a ready-to-use Sonar project.  That would be huge.  If I had that, I would do all my rendering directly under Sonar instead of within Finale.

I don't believe the MusicXML includes the MIDI commands per se, so that import process would have to translate note information into MIDI, and to do a good job, it should take into account the effects of articulations and expressions.  That brings up a potential second point of integration.  With Finale, you can certainly save the MIDI file that corresponds to your notes.  More importantly, Finale has a mode called Human Playback, which does a really good job of interpreting all those articulations, expressions, tempo marks, and adding MIDI controller commands to make the playback even more life-like.

There is a tool in Finale where you can force Human Playback to save all of its adjustments into the MIDI file.  So it would be really cool if Sonar could process the MusicXML project to set up the project, attach the synths, etc, then import the full MIDI file including the human playback information.  That would put the producer in the position of just needing to do final MIDI tweaks, a little mixing, and some VST effects to bring this around to a very nice playback.

My point is this is likely to be an area of convergence in the future, and I'd hope that Cakewalk can recognize that and take some strides in that area.

Then you should go and vote for FULL musicXML support in my post in Features and Ideas.
http://forum.cakewalk.com/FindPost/3152945
A reasonable solution would be to fix the current Staff View bugs for people who use it primarily for MIDI entry and then add musicXML support for the people using external notation programs for serious composition and score publishing.
While you are at it you should look at the Staff View bug fix requests and vote for them.
TO vote, click the stars on the right of the original post in each thread.

Ibanez Jem7VWH, RG-1570
mudgel
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 12010
Re: No notation fixes! 2015/01/24 04:50:07 (permalink)
HVintagevibe. Do you actually have Studio One or are you speculating on what might be at some future time.
I have and use Studio One V2.6.5
I'll say it again.

Presonus have bought Notion and sell it in their store but it is not in anyway integrated into Studio One 2.6.5 which is the latest version of their DAW. Notion is now version 5 which was due to be released when it was bought by Presonus. They have done nothing visible with it certainly not to the point of integrating it in their DAW. What they maybe doing in house or the intending to do maybe another thing but 'going to' and 'already done' are entirely different perspectives.

Using misinformation doesn't bolster your arguments at all. It just shows that you'll say what you want to strengthen your point of view whether it's accurate or not.
post edited by mudgel - 2015/01/24 04:58:45

Mike V. (MUDGEL)

STUDIO: Win 10 Pro x64, SPlat & CbB x64,
PC: ASUS Z370-A, INTEL i7 8700k, 32GIG DDR4 2400, OC 4.7Ghz.
Storage: 7 TB SATA III, 750GiG SSD & Samsung 500 Gig 960 EVO NVMe M.2.
Monitors: Adam A7X, JBL 10” Sub.
Audio I/O & DSP Server: DIGIGRID IOS & IOX.
Screen: Raven MTi + 43" HD 4K TV Monitor.
Keyboard Controller: Native Instruments Komplete Kontrol S88.
Anderton
  • Total Posts : 14070
Re: No notation fixes! 2015/01/24 10:41:58 (permalink)
mudgel
HVintagevibe. Do you actually have Studio One or are you speculating on what might be at some future time.
I'll say it again.

Presonus have bought Notion and sell it in their store but it is not in anyway integrated into Studio One 2.6.5 which is the latest version of their DAW. Notion is now version 5 which was due to be released when it was bought by Presonus. They have done nothing visible with it certainly not to the point of integrating it in their DAW. What they maybe doing in house or the intending to do maybe another thing but 'going to' and 'already done' are entirely different perspectives.

Using misinformation doesn't bolster your arguments at all. It just shows that you'll say what you want to strengthen your point of view whether it's accurate or not.

If he's talking about "some future time," I asked a PreSonus representative when 3.0 was coming out. I was told "later this year." If VintageVibe knows something about 3.0 integrating notation, he's probably violating an NDA, If not, then it's just speculation based on nothing other than a press release that was non-specific as to any potential aspects of integration. They could have just meant rewiring, as you can do with SONAR (and Studio One Pro) now.

The first 3 books in "The Musician's Guide to Home Recording" series are available from Hal Leonard and http://www.reverb.com. Listen to my music on http://www.YouTube.com/thecraiganderton, and visit http://www.craiganderton.com. Thanks!
Anderton
  • Total Posts : 14070
Re: No notation fixes! 2015/01/24 10:49:14 (permalink)
I don't see what's so hard to understand about this statement from SONAR's project manager, who took on the job shortly after the acquisition:

We frequently (annuallyish) investigate Staff View improvements, or even an overhaul. It's not "dead" nor "abandoned." It has just been "deferred" due to other priorities that impact a larger group of customers. Don't lose hope. We understand there is room for improvement and intend to tackle it eventually. Our new release model will allow us to budget time and resources more easily, so it's more realistic now than it has been in years. Thanks for being patient.

I read that as it has not been a priority in the past, and although he's not making any promises, things are different now.

The first 3 books in "The Musician's Guide to Home Recording" series are available from Hal Leonard and http://www.reverb.com. Listen to my music on http://www.YouTube.com/thecraiganderton, and visit http://www.craiganderton.com. Thanks!
vintagevibe
Re: No notation fixes! 2015/01/24 11:20:03 (permalink)
mudgel
I'll say it again.

I don't have Studio One but I do have Notion and on the Notion forums a Presonus representative said that integration is their plan.  
vintagevibe
Re: No notation fixes! 2015/01/24 11:31:44 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby jatoth 2015/01/24 11:38:53
Anderton
I don't see what's so hard to understand about this statement from SONAR's project manager, who took on the job shortly after the acquisition:

We frequently (annuallyish) investigate Staff View improvements, or even an overhaul. It's not "dead" nor "abandoned." It has just been "deferred" due to other priorities that impact a larger group of customers. Don't lose hope. We understand there is room for improvement and intend to tackle it eventually. Our new release model will allow us to budget time and resources more easily, so it's more realistic now than it has been in years. Thanks for being patient.

I read that as it has not been a priority in the past, and although he's not making any promises, things are different now.

There is absolutely nothing new in this statement.  They are not saying they will do it.   "intend to tackle it eventually" has been Cakewalk's line for decades.  They are saying they'd like to and now that "fill in the blank" is different there is more of a possibility.  They said the same think when Roland took over and Skylight was their new platform.  They said the same thing after they sent out surveys asking about notation.  Yes Gibson is new just like Roland was new but I don't think you understand how many people here have heard exactly that same thing for longer than you have used Sonar.   No one knows the future but when I hear the exact same thing over and over it is reasonable to expect the exact same result.
jatoth
Max Output Level: -83 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 363
Re: No notation fixes! 2015/01/24 11:37:27 (permalink)
Anderton

We understand perfectly what Bill has said.
It's just we have heard this many times before. In fact with each new release, Cakewalk assures us SV is not dead, it's just not a priority.
I didn't see anything different in Bill's post, except, he DID admit there are no current plans to work on it.

John

X3e Producer, Sonar Platinum, Sweetwater CreationStation i5 3.1gHz, 12 GB RAM, 500GB SSD OS drive, 1TB SSD audio drive, 1TB archive/misc drive, dual 22" monitors, Windows 7x64, SaffirePro40 (firewire), MOTU MIDI Express XT, Behringer BCF2000, dbx 586, Samson Servo 120a, Yamaha HS80M, Auratone 5c Cubes, Sennheiser HD650, Sony MDR 7509HD, Sony MDR 7506, Kurzweil K2500XS, Roland XP-30, Proteus 2000.
Kamikaze
Max Output Level: -45 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3013
Re: No notation fixes! 2015/01/24 12:01:01 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby jatoth 2015/01/24 12:10:44
Some rose tinted glasses in that interpretation Craig. No promises no commitments, no change. New model or not, there was no commitment. That's what we seek. Bugs should not run through multiple versions. The new model says we get bug fixes for a year, but history shows they neglect bugs year after year.

jsg
Max Output Level: -69 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1079
Re: No notation fixes! 2015/01/24 14:04:27 (permalink)
Anderton

Craig, now that you work for Cakewalk, perhaps the capacity for objectivity and for being completely honest with your customers has been curtailed a bit.   You know, or should know, as well as I do, if not better, that something is seriously wrong with a software company that refuses for over a decade to improve a part of the program that has been there from the early days of Pro Audio.  Just getting CW to address basic bugs in notation has proven to be a total failure.  Even in CW's advertisements, they don't show an image of it, they don't say anything about it at all, except that it's included in the software.  I realize money makes the world go around, but there is such thing as integrity--not your's specifically, but the company's.  Is there some kind of disdain or contempt for notation?  Why wouldn't the developers be energized and eager to make improvements and fix bugs in such a core aspect of sequencing?  Is the bottom line more important than creating the best DAW available?  It's a drag for me, I am professional, classically trained composer who has scored for film, TV, games, dance, concerts, albums and animation.   Sonar has always been promoted as a professional piece of software, has that changed?   Are you not interested in selling software  to professional composers, arrangers and orchestrators as the opening of the user manual has stated for decades? 

It is sad to say, but nobody believe CW anymore about the staff view.  Too many releases go by where the same old "We're going to get to it" has been repeated.  At some point people just stop believing words when the actions associated with those words don't ever pan out.  You can attack the messenger if you wish, but my message is pretty much the same as many other users who use notation.  CW's attitude is childish and deceptive.  I don't know what the company politics are (and I don't want to know) but I think pride of craftsmanship is important and if CW wants to create the best DAW around, upgrading the staff view (or at the very least fix bugs) would certainly add to Sonar's value. 

JG
www.jerrygerber.com

InstrEd
Max Output Level: -65 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1276
Re: No notation fixes! 2015/01/24 14:21:29 (permalink)
My suggestion several years ago was to have an item in the cakewalk store for notation improvements. Pre-paid.
Sort of like a kickstarter program. If we get this much money collected we have the go to address the staff view.
I for one would put in a quick $30.  When the update comes out the people that put money in could get a slight discount. So say I gave the $30 above, I would be happy for $10-$15 discount.
Just my 2 cents worth.

Instred
Chicagoland, IL 

jatoth
Max Output Level: -83 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 363
Re: No notation fixes! 2015/01/24 14:46:38 (permalink)
Jerry,
Well said, I agree 100%.

John

X3e Producer, Sonar Platinum, Sweetwater CreationStation i5 3.1gHz, 12 GB RAM, 500GB SSD OS drive, 1TB SSD audio drive, 1TB archive/misc drive, dual 22" monitors, Windows 7x64, SaffirePro40 (firewire), MOTU MIDI Express XT, Behringer BCF2000, dbx 586, Samson Servo 120a, Yamaha HS80M, Auratone 5c Cubes, Sennheiser HD650, Sony MDR 7509HD, Sony MDR 7506, Kurzweil K2500XS, Roland XP-30, Proteus 2000.
vintagevibe
Re: No notation fixes! 2015/01/24 15:01:40 (permalink)
mudgel
I'll say it again.

I think it’s a bit rude to accuse me of misinforming and that I will say anything.  Here are the facts:

1)   Presonus purchased Notion – HUGE DEVELOPMENT.
2)   The first thing they did was add an Export To Notion function in Studio One (I assume it is still there).
3)   A Presonus representative told me they have big plans for integration.

Granted they did not promise anything but this not misinformation.  What they plan to do and actually is, of course, not the same until proven so, however, items #1 and #2 are real actions that in and of themselves leave Sonar in the dust with respect to notation.
Sidroe
Max Output Level: -55.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1954
Re: No notation fixes! 2015/01/24 15:03:35 (permalink)
I am stunned!!! When I started this thread I had no idea it would spark this long discussion! In the past, someone would start the legendary "FIX THE STAFF VIEW" thread. The ones of us who didn't use it pounced on us like a cat on a rat! We don't need no stinkin' SF!!! The thread would quickly disappear in a matter of hours. I hate to think of disinterest.
NOW, there seems to be real interest in getting this thing fixed! Or maybe there's more members now that have use of the SF. Whichever, it is! BRAVO!!!
I can't remember ever having a SV thread run this long other than when it broke in X1.
Maybe there is still hope.
It is rather sad that a new buyer pays $400 for Sonar and then finds out that a critical portion of the program for him is antiquated and in some aspects unusable and the company's reaction is "Well, that part of Sonar is not a priority."
Everyone who knows me here and in my life knows I am a Caker. I just hope that all these buyouts and restructuring
will eventually lead to a stable company with the best product for the money out there. A program that has now weaknesses when it comes to ALL it's features.
I, for one, can't express how impressed I am with the Platinum rollout. I just hope the dedication and expertise stays on this level.
Holy Crap! I feel like a motivational speaker at a real estate class! 

Sonar Platinum, Sonar X3e, Sonar X2a , Sonar X1 Expanded and 8.5.3 (32 and 64 bit), Windows 10 on a Toshiba P75-A7200 Laptop with i7 @ 2.4 quad and 8 gigs of RAM and secondary WD 1 Tb drive, Windows 10 desktop, Asus i5 @ 3.2 quad, 12 gigs RAM, 1 Tb drive, 1 500 gig drive, MOTU 24io, 2 Roland Studio Captures, Saffire 6 USB for laptop, Soundtracs Topaz Project 8 mixer, Alesis Monitor 2s, Event BAS 20/20s, Roland Micro-Monitor BA-8s, and 45 years worth of collecting FX, Mics, Amps, Guitars, and Keyboards!
microapp
Re: No notation fixes! 2015/01/24 15:10:32 (permalink)
sidroe,
I was just thinking along the same lines last night.
I just wonder what the critical mass is for Cake to take SV fixes seriously.

Ibanez Jem7VWH, RG-1570
Paul P
Max Output Level: -48.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2685
Re: No notation fixes! 2015/01/24 16:03:49 (permalink)
microapp

I doubt we're anywhere near that.

Sonar Platinum [2017.10], Win7U x64 sp1, Xeon E5-1620 3.6 GHz, Asus P9X79WS, 16 GB ECC, 128gb SSD, HD7950, Mackie Blackjack
cparmerlee
Re: No notation fixes! 2015/01/24 16:32:51 (permalink)
vintagevibe
on the Notion forums a Presonus representative said that integration is their plan.  

As well it should be.  Why acquire the product if one doesn't plan to achieve some synergy, either on a marketing level or through real integration?

I find this subject difficult to discuss because very few people are very immersed in notation and also heavy users of DAWs.  Each user base seems hostile to the other, or at least resists understanding how the two worlds can and should come together.

I doubt it was much different in the pre-DAW days when the sequencer people really felt they had little in common with the recording studio people.

I'm not even sure Steinberg gets it, as integration seems to not be a primary goal -- at least not one of the goals they have discussed openly.  But to me it seems like a no-brainer.  Integration would expand the interest in BOTH notation and DAW products.

It should be of some concert to Cakewalk/Gibson because their primary competitors (Presonus and Steinberg) do have control over general purpose notation products that are far more capable than anything that is likely ever to be built into Sonar.  That's why a hook-up with Finale at some level would be a smart strategy as I see it.  At least as strategic as the hook-up with Melodyne, for example.

I don't think it is wise for anybody to blow this off when the competition seems to be in a potentially very disruptive position.

OS: Windows 10 64-bit CPU: Haswell 4790 4.0 GHz, 4 core, 8 thread  Memory: 16 GB      Video: GTX-760Ti
Storage: Sandisk SSD 500GB for active projects. ReadyNAS 20 TB for long-term storage

sonocrafters.com
cityrat
  • Total Posts : 671
Re: No notation fixes! 2015/01/24 16:35:13 (permalink)
Sidroe
 The ones of us who didn't use it pounced on us like a cat on a rat!

I resemble that remark ....

Sonar Platinum | Windows 7 64 bit SP1 | Intel i5 3570 3.4GHz | 8GB RAM | Gigabyte GA-B75-D3H | OCZ SSD | RME 9632
microapp
Re: No notation fixes! 2015/01/24 16:36:01 (permalink)
Paul P
microapp

I doubt we're anywhere near that.

I am beginning to question if it actually exists.

Ibanez Jem7VWH, RG-1570
cparmerlee
Re: No notation fixes! 2015/01/24 16:39:41 (permalink)
Sidroe
NOW, there seems to be real interest in getting this thing fixed! Or maybe there's more members now that have use of the SF. Whichever, it is! BRAVO!!!

Maybe there is a growing recognition that music technology as a "proper" field of education is being recognized these days.  Perhaps many institutions are no longer viewing this as some little enclave of enthusiasts that like to make strange noises with synthesizers, and now it is being seen as an essential skill for the modern composer.  Certainly fixing the bugs with the notation features should be a priority, but the field of notation is much broader than the current scope of Sonar notation.  This merging of notation, sequencing, and recording should be seen holistically as the field of music production.  And it doesn't stop there, because the real field is media production, including video.  A vendor that doesn't want to be pigeon-holed as just a play-thing for hobbyists needs to broaden its vision here.

sonocrafters.com
Elffin
  • Total Posts : 1196
Re: No notation fixes! 2015/01/24 17:08:22 (permalink)
InstrEd
My suggestion several years ago was to have an item in the cakewalk store for notation improvements. Pre-paid.
Sort of like a kickstarter program. If we get this much money collected we have the go to address the staff view.
I for one would put in a quick $30.  When the update comes out the people that put money in could get a slight discount. So say I gave the $30 above, I would be happy for $10-$15 discount.
Just my 2 cents worth.

nice idea - ..., I would gladly contribute.
YouDontHasToCallMeJohnson
Max Output Level: -76 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 703
Re: No notation fixes! 2015/01/24 17:19:16 (permalink)
"Build it and they will come" is a valid comment on any aspect of the program.

I think it is possible the staff view is not used by most Sonar users because those who would like it to work are not Sonar users. Especially given how the other DAW publishers do promote it.

And/Or, those who would like to use it do not because it does not work so good.
Page: << < ..678910.. > >> Showing page 7 of 40
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1