Helpful ReplySome observations about StudioOne 3

Page: < 12345 Showing page 5 of 5
Author
abacab
Max Output Level: -30.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4464
Re: Some observations about StudioOne 3 2017/03/15 22:27:59 (permalink)
I was curious about the S1 thingy, so I installed the freebie S1 3 Prime.

It's kind of crippled, can't load VST's, and has none of the arranger & scratchpad features.

But it does open GM MIDI files up with a decent GM sound set if desired.

And I did discover one thing that is cool.  If I have a MIDI clip for drums and the kit pieces are all in the same track, S1 can split the pitches to separate tracks if I want to separate them.  Just Right-click on the clip and "Explode Pitches to Tracks".  Not sure this would be any benefit to a grand piano part, but with percussion it might be useful! 

DAW: CbB; Sonar Platinum, and others ... 
Jeff Evans
Max Output Level: -24 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5139
Re: Some observations about StudioOne 3 2017/03/15 22:43:57 (permalink)
Prime (and Artist) are a pretty poor representation of Studio One. It would be the same as testing the most basic version of Sonar and thinking hey this is not very good either.

Scratchpads are cool because they all (and you can have many) start at bar 1. Switching between them is fast so playing the various arrangements of the same song is quick.  The mix stays the same for all of them but the arrangements can change. Recently I had to produce a children's CD and there were several different arrangements of the same song. They really came in handy.

Once you define the arrangements sections in the primary song using the arrange ruler, you can just drag any parts of that primary arrangement out over to a scratchpad and all the tracks associated with that section get instantly copied into the new scratchpad.

Studio One already has ripple editing.  It is a bit of a hidden feature though. Good for voice over editing. 

Specs i5-2500K 3.5 Ghz - 8 Gb RAM - Win 7 64 bit - ATI Radeon HD6900 Series - RME PCI HDSP9632 - Steinberg Midex 8 Midi interface - Faderport 8- Studio One V4 - iMac 2.5Ghz Core i5 - Sierra 10.12.6 - Focusrite Clarett thunderbolt interface 

Poor minds talk about people, average minds talk about events, great minds talk about ideas -Eleanor Roosevelt
abacab
Re: Some observations about StudioOne 3 2017/03/16 02:58:25 (permalink)
I wasn't trying to bash S1, on the contrary, I was attempting to point out the positive features that I found in Prime.  The Presence XT sampler comes with a good sound set.  So this is a good MIDI workstation as bare bones as it seems!

mudgel
  • Total Posts : 12010
Re: Some observations about StudioOne 3 2017/03/16 09:37:17 (permalink)
I'd like to see a thread about Sonar survive for any length of time on the SO3 forums.

Mike V. (MUDGEL)

STUDIO: Win 10 Pro x64, SPlat & CbB x64,
PC: ASUS Z370-A, INTEL i7 8700k, 32GIG DDR4 2400, OC 4.7Ghz.
Storage: 7 TB SATA III, 750GiG SSD & Samsung 500 Gig 960 EVO NVMe M.2.
Monitors: Adam A7X, JBL 10” Sub.
Audio I/O & DSP Server: DIGIGRID IOS & IOX.
Screen: Raven MTi + 43" HD 4K TV Monitor.
Keyboard Controller: Native Instruments Komplete Kontrol S88.
cparmerlee
Max Output Level: -67 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1153
Re: Some observations about StudioOne 3 2017/03/16 14:31:23 (permalink)
mudgel
I'd like to see a thread about Sonar survive for any length of time on the SO3 forums.

I'd like to think  a company like Presonus would be interested in knowing what things their customers like and don't like about their product. Companies pay good money for market research like that.

There is no perfect DAW. We all agree about that. They all have things that need improvement. And those closest to the product may have the most difficult time seeing the obvious things.

DAW: SONAR Platinum Audio I/F: Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 gen2
OS: Windows 10 64-bit CPU: Haswell 4790 4.0 GHz, 4 core, 8 thread  Memory: 16 GB      Video: GTX-760Ti
Storage: Sandisk SSD 500GB for active projects. ReadyNAS 20 TB for long-term storage

sonocrafters.com
JonD
Max Output Level: -39 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3617
Re: Some observations about StudioOne 3 2017/03/16 16:53:30 (permalink)
cparmerlee
mudgel

I'd like to think  a company like Presonus would be interested in knowing what things their customers like and don't like about their product. Companies pay good money for market research like that.

There is no perfect DAW. We all agree about that. They all have things that need improvement. And those closest to the product may have the most difficult time seeing the obvious things.

I believe Mike was referring more to Presonus' stricter policing of their forums as compared to Cakewalk's.  And if so, I would have to agree.

I'm a regular at Presonus' forums as well, and I have seen posts/threads deleted when they were too critical of their products (the VSL line driver debacle comes to mind).  I can't remember ever seeing an open discussion of other DAWs there. 

But then again, that's true of most forums.  It's generally considered "bad form" to go on a dev's forum and complain a lot about their products, or conversely, praise those of a competitor.

The CW user forums are refreshingly open-minded in that regard.  In fact, no one gets beat up here more than Cakewalk .  And (as shown by this thread) they are perfectly fine with open discussions about the competition. 

But don't just take my word for it.  Start a thread about Sonar or Cubase at the Presonus forums and let's see what happens.  If you do, please come back and post a link.  It might actually be kinda fun to watch.

SonarPlat/CWbBL, Win 10 Pro, i7 2600K, Asus P8Z68 Deluxe, 16GB DDR3, Radeon HD5450, TC Electronic Impact Twin, Kawai MP11 Piano, Event ALP Monitors, Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro, Too Many Plugins, My lucky hat.
Jeff Evans
Re: Some observations about StudioOne 3 2017/03/16 18:15:15 (permalink)

I agree that Cakewalk has been great too allowing this thread to on on as long as it has.  But I agree with Craig as he said quite a while ago it is sort of pointless too and really people should not even bother starting them.

The main problem as I see it is that you get users of one program who have many many hours (thousands) of experience with their program suddenly trying to evaluate a program they basically know nothing about.  They have only made a very superficial look into it and they start bagging it because they think it can’t do this and that when in fact it is way deeper and can do most things.  They will just never have the depth of knowledge that a seasoned user with many thousands of hours of experience has on the other program.

Look at it the other way.  A Studio One user trying to evaluate Sonar Platinum say over on the Presonus forums and saying how bad it is and it basically cannot do anything that Studio One can do.  I am sure some Sonar users might feel like defending it too and try to set them straight and rightly so as well.

But in some ways that has not happened over there because I think they know that would not be very constructive.  Not many Studio One users use Sonar as a second DAW either for some reason.  I do respect the Studio One users here who do use it as they at least have some idea and a decent idea at that.  Still not as much as a seasoned Studio One user though.  Interesting that only a few of them are here in this thread.

Rather than look at the bad things about the program they are trying to evaluate, instead look at the good stuff their current program cannot do and the other program can. Some are doing that here. I certainly appreciate the stuff that Sonar can do that Studio One cannot that is for sure.

It's all a bit boring in the end. It is like my chisel is better than your chisel! I am more interested in what people are doing with their chisels!

Specs i5-2500K 3.5 Ghz - 8 Gb RAM - Win 7 64 bit - ATI Radeon HD6900 Series - RME PCI HDSP9632 - Steinberg Midex 8 Midi interface - Faderport 8- Studio One V4 - iMac 2.5Ghz Core i5 - Sierra 10.12.6 - Focusrite Clarett thunderbolt interface 

Poor minds talk about people, average minds talk about events, great minds talk about ideas -Eleanor Roosevelt
dcumpian
Max Output Level: -34 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4124
Re: Some observations about StudioOne 3 2017/03/16 18:20:29 (permalink)
JonD
cparmerlee
mudgel

I believe Mike was referring more to Presonus' stricter policing of their forums as compared to Cakewalk's.  And if so, I would have to agree.

I'm a regular at Presonus' forums as well, and I have seen posts/threads deleted when they were too critical of their products (the VSL line driver debacle comes to mind).  I can't remember ever seeing an open discussion of other DAWs there. 

But then again, that's true of most forums.  It's generally considered "bad form" to go on a dev's forum and complain a lot about their products, or conversely, praise those of a competitor.

The CW user forums are refreshingly open-minded in that regard.  In fact, no one gets beat up here more than Cakewalk .  And (as shown by this thread) they are perfectly fine with open discussions about the competition. 

But don't just take my word for it.  Start a thread about Sonar or Cubase at the Presonus forums and let's see what happens.  If you do, please come back and post a link.  It might actually be kinda fun to watch.

Probably has more to do with northeastern sensibilities. Cake's in Boston, vs other devs in California, or in PreSonus' case, Louisiana. My wife's from New York and "cards on the table" is what she likes best.

Regards,
Dan

Mixing is all about control.

My music:
http://dancumpian.bandcamp.com/ or https://soundcloud.com/dcumpian Studiocat Advanced Studio DAW (Intel i5 3550 @ 3.7GHz, Z77 motherboard, 16GB Ram, lots of HDDs), Sonar Plat, Mackie 1604, PreSonus Audiobox 44VSL, ESI 4x4 Midi Interface, Ibanez Bass, Custom Fender Mexi-Strat, NI S88, Roland JV-2080 & MDB-1, Komplete, Omnisphere, Lots o' plugins.    
cparmerlee
Re: Some observations about StudioOne 3 2017/03/16 18:52:47 (permalink)
JonD
The CW user forums are refreshingly open-minded in that regard. 

It is never easy to hear criticism. I have always felt that, while the DAWs might be pretty similar, the real difference with SONAR is the people. And that's the user community as well as the company. A little discussion about the real world won't hurt anybody.

OS: Windows 10 64-bit CPU: Haswell 4790 4.0 GHz, 4 core, 8 thread  Memory: 16 GB      Video: GTX-760Ti
Storage: Sandisk SSD 500GB for active projects. ReadyNAS 20 TB for long-term storage

sonocrafters.com
cparmerlee
Re: Some observations about StudioOne 3 2017/03/16 18:52:47 (permalink)
JonD

It is never easy to hear criticism. I have always felt that, while the DAWs might be pretty similar, the real difference with SONAR is the people. And that's the user community as well as the company. A little discussion about the real world won't hurt anybody.

sonocrafters.com
abacab
Re: Some observations about StudioOne 3 2017/03/16 21:26:35 (permalink)
I found another thing in Prime that I like about Studio One.  The Piano Roll editor switches to whatever MIDI track that you click on in the track view.  I think that is more intuitive that having to select the track you want to work with from within the editor.

S1 Prime does not support VST plugins, but it does recognize external MIDI ports.  I was able to configure the external MIDI out in my Axiom controller.  Plus I was able to hook up to the standalone version of Kontakt using the LoopBe virtual MIDI cable

So it looks as if this Prime freebie is a usable MIDI editor!

kitekrazy1
Max Output Level: -40 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3524
Re: Some observations about StudioOne 3 2017/03/17 16:12:25 (permalink)
cparmerlee
JonD

It happens in the Image Line forums quite a bit.  The head honcho always responds to them.  My favorite feature in Sonar that few DAWs have is the ability to audition midi files with a VST.  For dance genres that can be helpful.
I can't do that in S1v3.  Reaper can do it as well. 

Sonar Platinum, W7 Pro 32GB Ram, Intel i7 4790, AsRock Z97 Pro 4,  NVidia 750ti, AP2496

Sonar Platinum, W7 Pro, 16GB Ram, AMD FX 6300, Gigabyte GA 970 -UD3 P, nVidia 9800GT, Guitar Port, Terratec EWX 2496
abacab
Re: Some observations about StudioOne 3 2017/03/17 18:06:13 (permalink)
kitekrazy1

My favorite feature in Sonar that few DAWs have is the ability to audition midi files with a VST.  For dance genres that can be helpful.  I can't do that in S1v3.  Reaper can do it as well. 

Yes, it is nice to be able to preview MIDI clips within the browser!

Jeff Evans
Re: Some observations about StudioOne 3 2017/03/17 19:28:34 (permalink)
You can preview midi files direct from the browser. The only caveat is that you have some sort of virtual instrument loaded into the song somewhere. You do not have to drag them out in order to hear them. From the manual:

Previewing MIDI Files 

When any MIDI file is selected in the Browser, you can preview the MIDI file through any virtual instrument loaded in the Song. To do this, select a MIDI file, then select an Instrument Track in the arrangement and it appears in the Preview Player, sending to the selected channel. Now, when you start playback with the Preview Player, the MIDI file plays through the virtual instrument to which that Instrument Track is routed. You can switch Instrument Tracks on the fly to audition a part quickly through many different instruments.

abacab
Re: Some observations about StudioOne 3 2017/03/17 21:00:24 (permalink)
Same with Sonar.  You need a soft synth or instrument track to route the MIDI preview to.  You can select any one in your project.

Previewing MIDI groove clips
http://www.cakewalk.com/D...;help=Tutorial2.3.html

vintagevibe
Max Output Level: -51 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2446
Re: Some observations about StudioOne 3 2017/03/18 21:05:35 (permalink)
In Studio One 3...
Disable Track = Archive
JohnKenn
Max Output Level: -58.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1659
Re: Some observations about StudioOne 3 2017/03/19 02:48:04 (permalink)
The modular environment in Studio One is incredible second to nothing else on the market. No DAW has this native capability. Splice and dice any combination of vst or vsti plugs into a single channel. Anything into anything, parallel, series, unlimited data lines. No DAW has this capability without resorting to third party crutches to make up for the short fall.

This moved Studio One, starting version 3 lineage at the head of the pack without a distant second, as far as this critical and necessary feature is concerned. Left Reaper behind, left Sonar behind, as much as Reaper could claim number one status over everything else back then in the past before Studio One broke the mold.

Not a perfect DAW yet, and there will never be the perfect DAW

Studio One has out fried them all so far. Now that Sonar is unfortunately doing online activations only, the playing field has leveled. Choose your risk either way as to who goes down first in the nuclear holocaust,or who decides to choke your request for a reactivation when your hard drive goes down..

I'm here to be educated so not to be igorant no more. If Sonar or Reaper, or anything else out there for under a thousand dollars has a better modular native process hidden somewhere, please let me know and show me the error in my ways. Til then, got to weigh in with Jeff, until something better is proven to be.

John

soens
Max Output Level: -23.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5154
Re: Some observations about StudioOne 3 2017/03/19 09:11:24 (permalink)
Instead of filling the forums with this kind of conversation, all parties interested should stage a sitdown video chat and post it on youtube, then post a link from here.

post edited by soens - 2017/03/20 08:18:43
JohnKenn
Re: Some observations about StudioOne 3 2017/03/19 17:14:43 (permalink)
Soens,

Yeah, guess you're right. Apologies for my rant...

John
pwalpwal
Max Output Level: -43 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3249
Re: Some observations about StudioOne 3 2017/03/19 17:36:15 (permalink)
JohnKenn
I'm here to be educated so not to be igorant no more. If Sonar or Reaper, or anything else out there for under a thousand dollars has a better modular native process hidden somewhere, please let me know and show me the error in my ways.

have you tried metaplugin? http://ddmf.eu/metaplugin-chainer-vst-au-rtas-aax-wrapper/

just a sec

JohnKenn
Re: Some observations about StudioOne 3 2017/03/19 18:25:23 (permalink)
Pwalpwal,

Thanks for this link. It is about half the price of Bidule and looks like it will do the same thing. Downloading the demo.

Been fixated on trying to control complex routings on a single channel in Sonar. Have used Energy XT for years but time to look for other choices to get CPU load and stability optimized.
jackson white
Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 283
Re: Some observations about StudioOne 3 2017/03/19 18:39:16 (permalink)
abacab
The Piano Roll editor switches to whatever MIDI track that you click on in the track view.  I think that is more intuitive that having to select the track you want to work with from within the editor.

Perhaps I'm missing the point, but I find it pretty easy to select/edit different MIDI tracks using the track browser on the left hand side of the PRV. 

--------------------
Some pieces of wood with wires and bits of metal stuck in them, silicon and plastic
soens
Max Output Level: -23.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5154
Re: Some observations about StudioOne 3 2017/03/20 08:17:57 (permalink)
JohnKenn
Soens,

Yeah, guess you're right. Apologies for my rant...

John

No apologies. I was speaking  a bit off humorously.

JohnKenn
Re: Some observations about StudioOne 3 2017/03/21 01:15:44 (permalink)
Soens,

Good fun and laughs, but you do got a valid point. Like in the respect and whatever to our hosts allowing us to post on these forums.

Irreverence has been my trademark in this life and will not likely change. Trying to do what is proper, but will probably not last for long until reverting back to hell fire and brimstone.

Will not mean much in the long term, but one of the flagship moral high grounds of Cakewalk was that you had the license in your hand. There with the Reapers, Minimal Systems, others that carved out an ethic that the end point user was okay with a serial number.

ZTA was cool, but the upgrade is now beyond my control. Did the upgrade, but a different feel. I don't own it no more. It is up to Cake to allow activation, or not.

This all will be  looked on as the good old days ten years from now. When there will be no more ownership of anything software. Monthly subscription to a Cloud connection. At the will of the developer to pull the plug. It is coming...

John
abacab
Re: Some observations about StudioOne 3 2017/03/21 01:48:32 (permalink)
JohnKenn

This all will be  looked on as the good old days ten years from now. When there will be no more ownership of anything software. Monthly subscription to a Cloud connection. At the will of the developer to pull the plug. It is coming...

That's an ominous prediction.  I hope that competition prevails, and that trend is not in our future.  Besides, I have Splat for life! 

There is a reason I don't subscribe to anything by Adobe.  There are other options ...

cparmerlee
Re: Some observations about StudioOne 3 2017/03/21 04:08:51 (permalink)
JohnKenn
When there will be no more ownership of anything software.

Not eager to get into a big semantic battle, but when talking about significant for-purchase software, the user never had any ownership. The authors practically always retain ownership.  What you purchase are usage rights.  Those rights are just evolving into different forms now.  I will do just about anything to avoid a monthly, ongoing subscription cost.  I don't have a mortgage, a car loan or alimony payment. I do have cell phone, cable fee, electric bills, and property taxes on a subscription basis.  If anybody knows how to stop those without crawling into an underground wooden box, let me know.

sonocrafters.com
abacab
Re: Some observations about StudioOne 3 2017/03/21 10:50:55 (permalink)
cparmerlee
JohnKenn
When there will be no more ownership of anything software.

Not eager to get into a big semantic battle, but when talking about significant for-purchase software, the user never had any ownership.

The actual semantics involved with software usage is ownership of a "license to use" vs. renting the "license to use".

And taxes are the only absolute certainty ...

Page: < 12345 Showing page 5 of 5
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1