Helpful ReplyA loud pop and a maxed-out meter level followed by no sound?

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
PeterMc
Max Output Level: -80 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 504
Re: A loud pop and a maxed-out meter level followed by no sound? 2017/07/13 00:21:46 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby ZincTrumpet 2017/07/13 09:54:58
Here's a possible fix for the loud pop/maxed-out meters problem - try setting ZeroFillMethod=0 in AUD.INI. This turns off the zerofilling. I suspect (for reasons too long to go into) that the zerofilling is a possible cause of the problem.

Of course, it's not quite that simple. Not all plugins do zerofilling. Sonitus do, but LP, for example, don't. Those that do zerofill spit out the tiny non-zero numbers even when the transport is stopped (although the audio engine needs to be running). You can see this by inserting SPAN after the plugin and looking at the RMS and peak values. Some instruments also do something similar (maybe not exactly zerofill, but there's a small signal always output), for example, SI-Bass-Guitar does. I've found you need to mute or archive these tracks too to test this theory. Put SPAN on the Master bus to see if any tiny signal is getting through even when the transport is stopped. If so, you haven't found all the instruments putting out tiny numbers.

Please report back positive or negative results here. Whatever we find might help nail this bug.

Cheers, Peter.

i5 6500, H170M, Intel HD 530, 16GB, Focusrite Scarlett 8i6, Win 10 Pro (1803) (64 bit), Cakewalk by Bandlab

taccess
  • Total Posts : 534
Re: A loud pop and a maxed-out meter level followed by no sound? 2017/07/13 00:50:21 (permalink)
- PAGE 9 - http://www.musicdsp.org/files/denormal.pdf 

3.2.5 Alternatives and efficient solutions
The methods below are derived from the previous ones and are close to perfection. They fit in
numerous common cases and are very fast. They are based on the addition of two alternative
values to the signal. As soon as the added value changes, the denormal apparition is prevented in
or for future feedback loops, for a limited number of samples. Value alternations just have to be
frequent enough to prevent most of the denormal apparitions.
Spectrum of the generated noise is quite rich. Moreover, by choosing 0 for one of the values, one
can create a DC offset while reducing calculations
To minimize calculations, one can also call
add_dc()
sporadically, for example one time every
20 samples, or even more. This produces random pulses, the spectral content of which is rich and
close to the white noise. However generating this random time component is not always obvious
and easy. One may just call
add_dc()
regularly to generate an impulse train. This method also
produces a lot of frequencies everywhere in the spectrum. It is especially adapted to block-based
processing. Of course block size should be carefully chosen depending on DSP algorithm
architecture.
+
Very fast.
Fills the spectrum almost uniformly.
Propagates to next stages.

It does not eliminate denormal numbers, but prevents their apparition.< if this is the negative then how promising is this )
To be maximally efficient, requires block-processing algorithms whose size should be
carefully chosen.
Alters the smallest numbers by quantifying them.

z800 Dual x5690
NvME 256gb 950Pro / Win10
LSI  MegaRaid
Nvidia 450 GTS
96GB 1366MHZ
RME Babyface
PeterMc
Re: A loud pop and a maxed-out meter level followed by no sound? 2017/07/13 01:38:07 (permalink)
Thanks for that. It's quite old (2002) and poorly written (e.g. quantifying should be quantizing, apparition probably means appearance), but it gets the message across. It's kind of like dither for computers :) I'm left wondering whether modern CPUs suffer the same problems as those from 2002?

I'll also ask, what happens if the value that is added is almost the same size but the opposite sign to the original data, thus creating a denormal? I wonder if that is what is happening inside Sonar.

Cheers, Peter.

i5 6500, H170M, Intel HD 530, 16GB, Focusrite Scarlett 8i6, Win 10 Pro (1803) (64 bit), Cakewalk by Bandlab

Samuel540
Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 151
Re: A loud pop and a maxed-out meter level followed by no sound? 2017/07/13 07:22:23 (permalink)
"mettelus:
Having an "audio engine troubleshooting" feature to hunt/kill bogus plugins would save some folks (literally) hours of troubleshooting time, alleviate the need to use "safe mode" when opening a project, and also supply a definitive answer from the right source (the audio engine itself) instead of trial and error or tribal knowledge from the end user(s). Such a feature has been hinted at before, and it is definitely one end users would find immense value in."

For a DAW like SONAR with so many anomalies and problems that constantly steal your focus from creating music, something like the above-mentionend "audio engine troubleshooting" in mettelus' comment, should have been implemented a loooong time ago.

We're now in the year 2017 but it seems like these problems aren't going anywhere. So I guess these problems are most-likely being migrated over to MacOS when that release finally comes out and that's a problem.

Daryl Samuel
StarBlu Entertainment
SONAR Platinum | NI Komplete 10 Ultimate | RME Babyface Pro | Focusrite ISA One | AKG C414 XLII | NI Maschine MKII | Roland A-800PRO | Roland MC-505 Groovebox | Lexicon MX200 | ASUS Sabertooth Z77 | Intel Core i7-3770 | Corsair 16GB 1600MHz
ZincTrumpet
Max Output Level: -73 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 891
Re: A loud pop and a maxed-out meter level followed by no sound? 2017/07/13 10:00:29 (permalink)
Useful to have the explanation from Cakewalk but I also think that more could be done to manage/report the consequence of the problem occurring. Some helpful ideas from Mettleus, Petermc and taccess (sorry if I missed anyone).  So how about a response from Cakewalk (on a possible update to manage/report the issue)?
Fabio Rubato
Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 500
Re: A loud pop and a maxed-out meter level followed by no sound? 2017/07/13 22:00:13 (permalink)
abacab
bitflipper
I never use the 64-bit option, either.

I'm surprised at the number of posts here and in various threads from Sonar users that have shut off the 64-bit option.

That can't be a good sign ...

Me too. I now habitually turn off the audio engine before adding a new plug-in - esp on buses - and since I've turned off the 64bit option, no melt-downs. 

+1 to the Audio engine processing thingie to hunt/kill misbehaving naughty plug-ins BEFORE they *u## things up. :-)

Sonar: Platinum, (X3e) - x64 
PC: Win10 Pro 64;
Computer: Gigabyte Z68X-UD3R-B3; Intel i7, 2600k @ 4.2 (8 Cores); 16 GB Corsair Ram;
Visual Card: Gigabyte GTX 580;
Audio Interface: RME UFX;
Monitors: Adam A77X, Sub8;
Midi Controllers: Komplete Kontrol S88,  Novation Bass Station 2; NI Maschine Mk 2; 
Other Hardware: Joe Meek Twin Q Dual Studio Channel;
Mics: RODE NT2-A, ASTON Spirit 

Latest Song: Lay Down Before the War

BRuys
  • Total Posts : 192
Re: A loud pop and a maxed-out meter level followed by no sound? 2017/07/14 05:51:13 (permalink)
I wonder what the difference is between users that have the problem and users that don't.  I run S-Plat every day and have a bunch of plugins.  I have seen the problem maybe a couple of times in the last couple of years - extremely rare for me, but I have seen it.

There must be a common denominator that can explain the issue and also why users like me virtually never see it.  Hmmm...
Sir Les
Max Output Level: -67 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1182
Re: A loud pop and a maxed-out meter level followed by no sound? 2017/07/14 09:44:36 (permalink)
I have noticed this in past times using sonar...but, I also noted cpu spike when this audio level would pop to the extreme ...and then no sound.
or some kind of hard drive thrashing on the cpu /disk metering...at times...

That is why I dug into MS windows services....as I was not using any FX, or any of the on bus or track features..all were turned off in my templet , as someone said to do once upon a time to stop a new feature add in from causing this issue of pops...is to turn off...all channel strips...but it did not solve.

Thus seeking into the logs of event viewer ...brought me to ruin...and updated and more and more problems...trying to solve the logging....which I think, was caused by the secret arm of MS trace and track...of your data on all drives while working in or on the system...win10 does do odd things with the nic and cache.

Just saying...it may work out..it is a plug in...

So...I stopped using it..and wait for a more bugged less of Les OS....

Just smile..it might take a picture of your frustrations one day...and or any uttered words ....cortina cortana..did you ask the machine why this is happening?.....LOL

Just be cheery...I am sure, they will dig into the...hacking it out soon...if it continues...wait...

Now what works, while waiting a life time to use?...ah....Some say Cubase, some say Studio One 3, some say Reason 9.5...Pro tools is a monster daw...

and others say the free stuff works ok also....so, you can still make stems...and import when, and if the issues are fixed.

1. Intel 5960x 3.5mhz , ASUS x99 deluxe u3.1, Asus Thunderbolt ex II,   G skills f4 3000 Memory 32GB , ADATA ssd 250GB Main Drive, Lots of WD Red 7200 Mechanical Drives with Black Drives, 14x multi optical Drive, LG Multi Blu Drive,  2X Extern WD Mybooks usb 3.0, AMD r7 270 video card, Motu 828x TB , Motu Midi XT.
2.  USING MAC PRO, as win 10 has damaged 2 x99 systems 8.1 is also to blame for the final burnout trying to roll back!

3.  Something Wonderful: https://1drv.ms/f/s!AlHkRy9cXBbYpQNvVBCt8r7fQ5PS
taccess
Re: A loud pop and a maxed-out meter level followed by no sound? 2017/07/14 22:55:34 (permalink)

z800 Dual x5690
LSI  MegaRaid
Nvidia 450 GTS
96GB 1366MHZ
RME Babyface
taccess
Re: A loud pop and a maxed-out meter level followed by no sound? 2017/07/14 23:00:53 (permalink)
Can you please screen capture / audio capture the pop / spike problem you have , we realise it's too hard to re create but with video evidence cakewalk will have a better chance at fixing this .

z800 Dual x5690
LSI  MegaRaid
Nvidia 450 GTS
96GB 1366MHZ
RME Babyface
Noel Borthwick [Cakewalk]
Cakewalk Staff
  • Total Posts : 6475
Re: A loud pop and a maxed-out meter level followed by no sound? 2017/07/15 12:50:10 (permalink)
For anyone seeing such issues can you confirm whether you have any VST3 double precision capable plugins in your signal flow? We found a case where VST3 plugins could be initialized incorrectly when using the 64 bit engine.
To clarify, this is exclusive to VST3 not VST2. This issue will be addressed in the next update.

Noel Borthwick
Senior Manager Audio Core, BandLab
My Blog, Twitter, BandLab Profile
bitflipper
01100010 01101001 01110100 01100110 01101100 01101
  • Total Posts : 26036
Re: A loud pop and a maxed-out meter level followed by no sound? 2017/07/15 14:24:05 (permalink)
My plugin list for the project that yields these symptoms about 50% of the time. All are VST2 except for the two marked with an asterisk.

FabFilter Pro-C 2    
ValhallaUberMod    
FabFilter Pro-Q 2
iZotope Ozone Exciter
TH3 *
Audio Assault HeadCrusher
Roth AIR
Waves RBass *
Nomad Factory Bus Driver
NI Replika
MeldaProduction MSpectralDynamics
iZotope Ozone Advanced 
FabFilter Pro-L
ValhallaPlate

Kontakt (3)
Omnisphere (2)
Trilian
Zebra2 (2)
Superior Drummer

*VST3
post edited by bitflipper - 2017/07/15 15:20:58

All else is in doubt, so this is the truth I cling to. 

My Stuff
bitflipper
01100010 01101001 01110100 01100110 01101100 01101
  • Total Posts : 26036
Re: A loud pop and a maxed-out meter level followed by no sound? 2017/07/15 15:12:45 (permalink)
New symptom: the same project opened today with a clearly audible pink noise going on, and the meter on the reverb bus (containing one plugin, ValhallaPlate) is pegged. The master meter is normal.

After muting one particular track, or bypassing its fx bin, the noise goes away and the reverb bus meter returns to normal. That (audio) track is connected to a frozen instance of Kontakt. There is a loud bang when I re-enable the bin. 

After enabling and re-enabling this fx bin a few times, the project went into the no-sound-meters-pegged mode. Nothing I did would bring the project back to normal, including stopping and restarting the audio engine and completely deleting the Kontakt track. Only after completely exiting out of SONAR and reloading the project was everything functioning correctly again.

I have not seen any of these symptoms in other projects, even though most of these plugins appear in them as well. The exceptions are Roth-AIR and Replika, which I normally don't use. Both are in the bin of that Kontakt track. I have removed Roth-AIR and am now waiting to see if the symptoms return.

All else is in doubt, so this is the truth I cling to. 

My Stuff
jbraner
Max Output Level: -57 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1830
Re: A loud pop and a maxed-out meter level followed by no sound? 2017/07/15 15:57:00 (permalink)
My "problem" projects use the following VST3 double precision plugins:
Slate VMR (using VCC plugin - this is on every track)
Klanghelm SDRR (only one song uses this)
Slate VBC (only one song uses this)

Like I said though, I only get the problem when my ASIO buffer is set too low, an dit goes away when I make the buffers bigger - so I always assumed this is an audio interface driver (MOTU) issue, and not a plugin issue.

John Braner
https://www.cdbaby.com/Artist/JohnBraner
http://www.soundclick.com/johnbraner

- Intel i7 3770K 3.5GHz
- Windows 10 Pro - 64 bit
- Cakewalk by BandLab x64
- Reaper x64
- 16GB RAM
- Asus P8z77-V mobo - using the integrated Intel graphic card (HD4000)
- MOTU Ultralite AVB audio interface
I usually use ASIO set at 64 or 128 samples
er - that's it I think...
PeterMc
Re: A loud pop and a maxed-out meter level followed by no sound? 2017/07/16 00:42:46 (permalink)
For anyone seeing such issues can you confirm whether you have any VST3 double precision capable plugins in your signal flow? We found a case where VST3 plugins could be initialized incorrectly when using the 64 bit engine.
To clarify, this is exclusive to VST3 not VST2. This issue will be addressed in the next update.

My main problem project doesn't require the 64-bit engine. The only VST3 plugin is SPAN. All other plugins are Sonitus. It does use audiosnap.

In the past, this project did use the 64-bit engine, and also used Ozone VST3. Is it possible for the incorrect initialization problem to persist after plugins are deleted and the engine changed?

Cheers, Peter.

taccess
Re: A loud pop and a maxed-out meter level followed by no sound? 2017/07/16 03:05:05 (permalink)
I use mostly vst3 plugins, if i can i will always choose vst3 so 90%+ of my project effects is always vst3.

Day before yesterday everything was going fine, then i inserted spire vst + CLA 3A vst3 + overdrive vst2 and the problem started and stayed random spikes and bleeps.

Also on a previous day everything was going fine then when i inserted a instance of kontakt 5 vst2 + pro-q vst 3 + the glue vst 2 , the problem appeared and stayed.

I am not saying anything other than inserting a instrument or effect is on the top of my radar list ATM.
This could be a vst3 issue ! and  i hope it is so it gets fixed faster.

Right now I am starting from the ground up at my end i am running latency mon with a big platinum project on loop playback and any drivers or conflicts are getting fixed ! I will also point out that during yesterday all day while platinum was on loop playback and NO other mixing was being done ( Nothing inside platinum ) the problem did not appear, even though latency mon is telling me to keep searching for a irq latency conflict.
This is good because it is helping the direction of what is causing or triggering this spike pop bleep problem which i believe we will find, or at the very least i will show you what happen at my end.

Once latency mon is sorted completely, i will then screen and audio record the platinum loop playback + latency mon  and then start doing inserts and try to trigger this problem so we can nail it down once and for all !
I believe WE ALL can help by putting in as much effort to try and locate this BUG and particularly NOW because we are all here with this problem so lets focus on it, and try and see if you can connect any of the dots at your end!

Thanks

z800 Dual x5690
LSI  MegaRaid
Nvidia 450 GTS
96GB 1366MHZ
RME Babyface
Cakewalk Staff
Re: A loud pop and a maxed-out meter level followed by no sound? 2017/07/17 04:12:22 (permalink)
So if you are seeing it with VST3 and the 64 bit engine its very likely the problem we found.
If you can repro with a project containing NO VST3 plugins then its some other issue.

Noel Borthwick
Cakewalk Staff
Re: A loud pop and a maxed-out meter level followed by no sound? 2017/07/17 04:18:49 (permalink)
PeterMc

In the past, this project did use the 64-bit engine, and also used Ozone VST3. Is it possible for the incorrect initialization problem to persist after plugins are deleted and the engine changed?

Cheers, Peter.

No I cant see how the problem could persist. It has to do with the initialization sequence when we set it to use 64 bits. Something was preventing the plugin from getting the notification for 64 bit processing and as a result it thought it was processing 32 bit data. We were able to repro this with our Adaptive limiter VST3 which led us to diagnosing the problem which was in SONAR not the plugin...

Noel Borthwick
taccess
Re: A loud pop and a maxed-out meter level followed by no sound? 2017/07/17 05:56:06 (permalink)
LatencyMon sorted , if you have a z800 or a setting in your bios called "Enhanced Memory Performance "! TURN IT OFF , it was giving me Highest measured interrupt latency to process Red bars of 3k to 21K , anyway now it is disabled it is idling around 10 - 30 us with the highest at 600us SOLID ! WAPITA that was to find.

Regarding testing this vst3 or not problem, i have an idea which i am going to try.

I am going to fire up my big project and continue mixing until the spike/pop appears, i will have latency mon running continuously also and will monitor it and video and audio record .
If the spikes/pops appear i am then going to stop and start from track 1 to the last track ( top to bottom ) and swap out all vst3 effects and instruments with vst2 . Then i will save this big project as vst2 test save and restart computer and then fire up the vst2 test save project. I will then continue to mix and see if the spikes /pops re appear!

I just want to do what ever it takes to sort this and move on so i am willing to spend as much time doing what ever it takes to try and narrow or confirm this.

Will update results as they happen.

Thanks

z800 Dual x5690
LSI  MegaRaid
Nvidia 450 GTS
96GB 1366MHZ
RME Babyface
Samuel540
  • Total Posts : 151
Re: A loud pop and a maxed-out meter level followed by no sound? 2017/07/17 14:57:15 (permalink)
taccess
I just want to do what ever it takes to sort this and move on so i am willing to spend as much time doing what ever it takes to try and narrow or confirm this.

Will update results as they happen.

Thanks

'Appreciate the time and effort you're devoting to this, man!

Daryl Samuel
StarBlu Entertainment
SONAR Platinum | NI Komplete 10 Ultimate | RME Babyface Pro | Focusrite ISA One | AKG C414 XLII | NI Maschine MKII | Roland A-800PRO | Roland MC-505 Groovebox | Lexicon MX200 | ASUS Sabertooth Z77 | Intel Core i7-3770 | Corsair 16GB 1600MHz
taccess
Re: A loud pop and a maxed-out meter level followed by no sound? 2017/07/18 07:06:25 (permalink)
Ok so i finally started to mix again this afternoon after fully finishing my LatencyMon Journey....... and i found a patch point BUG! Like within first 5 minutes!
This PatchPoint Bug silences the output on the track its inserted on !
I reopened my Big project 3 times and recreated it but i cant recreate it on a new project.

I have video recorded it in action including the steps and zipped it to Jon + Noel.
Not sure if this or how this is related although a silent track or a silent bus/master are a couple of consistent dots.
This is also consistent with a Abelton rewire bug recently where audio from Ableton into platinum is also lost/silent, which is also harder but still able to reproduce on a new rewire track ! 
How this is all connected is what needs to be looked at by cakewalk !

The main point here with this video i made is that Cakewalk can see Mine/Your Problem in action, and it really drives home that this is actually occurring and also gives them a visual on the direction to look in !
If everyone sends a video of there problem then they can connect the dots a lot faster.
Think about it !!!!! makes sense!!!!

Anyway i am really eager in the next few days to see if this spike/pop problem appears ! i will be mixing all week again from tomorrow ( now that latencymon is sorted ) and as soon as the spike/pop issue occurs ( which i hope it does'nt ) i will record it and then swap out all vst3 with vst2 then start mixing to see if it happens in the vst2 environment!
Will update again soon !

z800 Dual x5690
LSI  MegaRaid
Nvidia 450 GTS
96GB 1366MHZ
RME Babyface
PeterMc
Re: A loud pop and a maxed-out meter level followed by no sound? 2017/07/18 07:29:10 (permalink)
Hey taccess - I started a different thread for my video example - find it here.

I'd be curious if this looks anything like your problem. I sometimes wonder if we're chasing more than one bug. My project doesn't use the 64-bit engine, and exhibits the problem without any VST3 plugins.

Can you put your video somewhere we can look at it?

Cheers, Peter.

taccess
Re: A loud pop and a maxed-out meter level followed by no sound? 2017/07/18 08:18:10 (permalink)
PeterMc
Hey taccess - I started a different thread for my video example - find it here.

I'd be curious if this looks anything like your problem. I sometimes wonder if we're chasing more than one bug. My project doesn't use the 64-bit engine, and exhibits the problem without any VST3 plugins.

Can you put your video somewhere we can look at it?

Cheers, Peter.

No i have not experienced that bug !
Good stuff your video brings home your problem and gives Cakewalk direction ! Brilliant

My Bug that I experience is spikes and pops / blurts and bleeps during playback with a very rare huge pop and master/track silence until restart !

The Patch Point bug i sent to Cakewalk today is not one i was expecting to find.
All it is, is when i insert a patch point on the input of a track the track will not output anymore, the track shows a peak level but is silent !. 

I will certainly post a video soon of my BUG that haunts me, i have just been preparing myself properly to be ready and know everything else "PC Related" is covered so when it shows next, i will record it and do what i stated in the previous post !

z800 Dual x5690
LSI  MegaRaid
Nvidia 450 GTS
96GB 1366MHZ
RME Babyface
taccess
Re: A loud pop and a maxed-out meter level followed by no sound? 2017/07/19 06:47:04 (permalink)
Ok here is my Spike/Pop Video.

If you have the same or sililar problems please let me know.'
If you can help in anyway please do

http://forum.cakewalk.com...-m3632787.aspx#3632787

z800 Dual x5690
LSI  MegaRaid
Nvidia 450 GTS
96GB 1366MHZ
RME Babyface
jbraner
Max Output Level: -57 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1830
Re: A loud pop and a maxed-out meter level followed by no sound? 2017/07/19 08:08:32 (permalink)
Mine is (was) - after the pop, the meter will stay maxed out, but there's no sound coming from th eaudio interface.

John Braner
https://www.cdbaby.com/Artist/JohnBraner
http://www.soundclick.com/johnbraner

- Intel i7 3770K 3.5GHz
- Windows 10 Pro - 64 bit
- Cakewalk by BandLab x64
- Reaper x64
- 16GB RAM
- Asus P8z77-V mobo - using the integrated Intel graphic card (HD4000)
- MOTU Ultralite AVB audio interface
I usually use ASIO set at 64 or 128 samples
er - that's it I think...
Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1