AnsweredMore crashes in the last few days than in the past 5 years! [Solved]

Page: < 12345 Showing page 5 of 5
Author
lgmab
Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 93
Re: More crashes in the last few days than in the past 5 years! 2017/11/17 03:11:30 (permalink)
I get consistant audio dropouts. After running latency monitor , the wdf0100.sys shows a max of 2ms or more. If it exceeds 1ms I typically get a dropout. Not sur where to go to remedy. I tried disabling devices one by one to no avail.

Sonar Platinum
HP Envy Laptop 16GB RAM i7-4710 Windows 10
Motu 16A
Sweat and Tears with occasional profanities!

lgmab
Re: More crashes in the last few days than in the past 5 years! 2017/11/17 03:11:30 (permalink)
I get consistant audio dropouts. After running latency monitor , the wdf0100.sys shows a max of 2ms or more. If it exceeds 1ms I typically get a dropout. Not sur where to go to remedy. I tried disabling devices one by one to no avail.

Sonar Platinum
Motu 16A

lgmab
Re: More crashes in the last few days than in the past 5 years! 2017/11/17 03:11:31 (permalink)

Sonar Platinum
Motu 16A

lgmab
Re: More crashes in the last few days than in the past 5 years! 2017/11/17 03:11:33 (permalink)

Sonar Platinum
Motu 16A

Max Output Level: -76 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 729
Re: More crashes in the last few days than in the past 5 years! 2017/11/17 03:15:24 (permalink)
lgmab

Guys...I am so dispirited. I tried everything except reinstall of OS and or a clean install of Sonar. I imagine that an OS reinstall will be a pain. Has anyone else tried that route?

It would undoubtedly be a pain, and with the possibility in the end that it doesn't cure your problem. If you choose to go that route I would suggest doing a backup image of your disc first, it will save you having to reinstall everything if you find out early on that a fresh Windows install and a fresh SONAR install does not cure your problem, a quick image restore and you'll be back up and running in no time to continue your search.

Intel i7 4790 @3.6Ghz - 32GB Ram - Windows 10 Pro 64bit - RME Fireface UFX+
Studio One 4 Professional, REAPER, CbB-(Couldnb't be Bothered)
More Plugs than Plumbers Warehouse.

Happy Studio One User Since August 2015

"It's the entertainment value, the comic relief . . . plus the Software and Deals Forum"

GjB
Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 197
Re: More crashes in the last few days than in the past 5 years! 2017/11/17 03:31:19 (permalink)
(Edit: I agree with the post above.)
If you haven't reinstalled Windows (a clean reinstall) in the past few years, then you should certainly do so if you are experiencing problems with your Windows PC.
This is just my opinion. It doesn't matter how many plugins and subscriptions you have to do to get your DAW up and running again. This is the nature of computers and operating systems, with all of their cumulative updates over the months and years. The system is not perfect of course. Sometimes hardware loses support over time (or we have to remind Windows to communicate with older hardware drivers as if it were Windows 7, etc), bugs get fixed, other bugs appear, compatibility issues crop up. More often than not problems get fixed (but not always).

Being off the grid sounds like a good idea until you update one product. That product might be more compatible with the latest version of another product. Plus software updates are the best form of security.

A system reinstall is kind of a last resort, but if you want to check/tick all the boxes, especially with a long-term annoying issue, it's one of the largest boxes in the list.

My 2 cents as more of a Windows guy than a DAW guy. Although I love Sonar.

The Computer Mouse (web)
Cakewalk by BandLab, Windows 10 Pro (64-bit), Focusrite 2i4 (Gen 1), i7-3770K, NH-D14, 32 Gigs, GTX 970, SSDs and HD, Sony MDR-7506, M-Audio Code 61. Easy-install guide
GjB
Re: More crashes in the last few days than in the past 5 years! 2017/11/17 03:39:08 (permalink)
If you are using a USB audio interface, try using a different USB socket.
If you are using a USB 2.0 audio interface (with Windows 10), try plugging it into only a USB 2.0 socket, not a USB 3.0. This helped me with audio issues in Windows (not DAW related) after the Creators Update. I had to plug it straight into the motherboard USB 2.0 because my case only has a ton of 3.0 ones.
(Of course, the logic could be wrong, but a fix is a fix in my book.)

The Computer Mouse (web)
Cakewalk by BandLab, Windows 10 Pro (64-bit), Focusrite 2i4 (Gen 1), i7-3770K, NH-D14, 32 Gigs, GTX 970, SSDs and HD, Sony MDR-7506, M-Audio Code 61. Easy-install guide
Resonant Serpent
Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 463
Re: More crashes in the last few days than in the past 5 years! 2017/11/17 04:57:17 (permalink)
lgmab
Guys...I am so dispirited. I tried everything except reinstall of OS and or a clean install of Sonar. I imagine that an OS reinstall will be a pain. Has anyone else tried that route?

Clean install of Sonar is actually pretty easy. Just go step by step, and make sure to back up any presets that you might have made. I was ready to never use Sonar again a few months ago. I don't know what happened, but I was having a lot of the common complaints that have cropped up on the forum in the past few months. Unexplained behavior, the now time lags, etc. At that time, the only weird thing that happened was that the runtime library update took forever during one of my Sonar updates. It usually runs for a few seconds, then disappears. That time, it ran for almost 15 minutes. After that, the program was never the same. After following the instructions for a clean installation, it ran perfectly. No lag when I pressed play. No strange graphic glitches. No unexplained hiccups. I don't know what was out of sync, but something was. Try the clean install of Sonar and see what happens.

https://www.cakewalk.com/...n-Install-Instructions

A deep chesty bawl echoes from rimrock to rimrock, rolls down the mountain, and fades into the far blackness of the night. It is an outburst of wild defiant sorrow, and of contempt for all the adversities of the world. - Aldo Leopold
chuckebaby
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 13146
Re: More crashes in the last few days than in the past 5 years! 2017/11/17 17:03:52 (permalink)
lgmab

What GjB said,
Are you plugging that Motu 16A in to a USB 2 port ? I believe the Motu 16A is USB 2 only. If its plugged in to a USB 3 port your bound to have issues.
Using the latest driver ?

Windows 8.1 X64 Sonar Platinum x64
Custom built: Asrock z97 1150 - Intel I7 4790k - 16GB corsair DDR3 1600 - PNY SSD 220GB
Focusrite Saffire 18I8 - Mackie Control

rodreb
Max Output Level: -72 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 915
Re: More crashes in the last few days than in the past 5 years! 2017/11/17 19:36:47 (permalink)
I gotta say.... the instructions for doing a clean install of Sonar sound scary and intimidating to me. I would like to do a clean install but, messing around in the Registry and stuff scares me away from it. I mean, really, why can't there just be an automated clean install routine in the Control Center? Simply hit the button and, boom! 

ROD

Imaginary Friend Recording 
https://www.facebook.com/ifrecording?skip_nax_wizard=true

Dell XPS, i7 8700 (6 core), 16 gb 2666 RAM, two 2 Tb 7200 RPM HDD's, Windows 10 Home, Focusrite Saffire Pro 40 & Octapre

GjB
Re: More crashes in the last few days than in the past 5 years! 2017/11/18 04:03:14 (permalink)
Doing a clean install of your DAW doesn't necessarily mean it will work OK.
If you have the time (and you haven't done so for a couple of years, and you are having issues), I would recommend doing a clean install of Windows using the latest ISO versions from Microsoft (so that they include more of the latest updates.)
And then reinstalling your DAW.
Otherwise, it's kind of like scooping up lovely, fresh, healthy food and then slopping it onto a crappy dirty plate.
Just my 2 cents. This way you minimize the potential problems caused by an old Windows install.
Of course, always backup your important files and folders to (preferably) a removable device for safe keeping.
(Or at least make sure you don't format and reinstall Windows on the disk or partition where you saved your backups.)

The Computer Mouse (web)
Page: < 12345 Showing page 5 of 5
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1