Author
riojazz
Max Output Level: -64 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1337
2015/11/12 14:07:27 (permalink)

First look: Making the Behringer X-Touch work in SONAR Platinum

Using the Behringer X-Touch in SONAR Platinum

Matt Finley (Riojazz)   

**This is not intended to be a tutorial, just a few notes on getting it started in SONAR.**

Setup:
    From the instructions in the X-Touch manual, page 16, Configuration Menu, the default values for the X-Touch are:
            Encoder 1 - MC (Mackie Control - that's OK)
            Encoder 2 - MIDI (you must change that to USB)!
            Encoder 8 - 40%.  (this is the LCD contrast; seems OK as is)
            Don't forget to press Select again to store the change.

SONAR:
    Edit Menu, Preferences.
        MIDI, Devices: check the checkboxes in Inputs and Outputs for X-Touch
        Control Surfaces:  Add (yellow plus sign) Mackie Control and select X-Touch
            in the pull-downs for InPort and OutPort

Utilities Menu, Mackie Control. 
        Under Options, Meters, the default is Off.  Change that to Signal LEDs and Meters.
post edited by riojazz - 2016/03/31 01:32:29

Software: Cakewalk by Bandlab; Adobe Audition; Band-in-A-Box audiophile; Izotope Ozone; Encore; Melodyne; Win 10 Pro, 64-bit.

Hardware: Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 2nd; Roland Integra-7; TCE Finalizer; Presonus Central Station, Behringer X-Touch.  Home built i7 with 16 GB RAM, SSDs.
azslow3
Max Output Level: -42.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3297
Re: First look: Making the Behringer X-Touch work in SONAR Platinum 2015/11/12 15:15:51 (permalink)
riojazz
Project, MIDI: I'm not yet sure which of these are essential, but if you want the meters and timer to show anything,
you must check some options here. I checked these checkboxes:
               Transmit MMC
                MIDI Sync Output Port, X-Touch
                Send MIDI Time Code, Transmit MTC
                MTC Ouptput Porrt, X-Touch

There are still some settings that are not working, and I will update this thread as I discover solutions.

My guess that these settings have no influence on time display in Mackie Mode. And for sure they can not influence meters, for which there is "Meters" option in the Mackie Control configuration (default "off").

Sonar 8LE -> Platinum infinity, REAPER, Windows 10 pro
GA-EP35-DS3L, E7500, 4GB, GTX 1050 Ti, 2x500GB
RME Babyface Pro (M-Audio Audiophile Firewire/410, VS-20), Kawai CN43, TD-11, Roland A500S, Akai MPK Mini, Keystation Pro, etc.
www.azslow.com - Control Surface Integration Platform for SONAR, ReaCWP, AOSC and other accessibility tools
WallyG
Max Output Level: -74 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 833
Re: First look: Making the Behringer X-Touch work in SONAR Platinum 2015/11/12 16:02:46 (permalink)
riojazz
Using the Behringer X-Touch in SONAR Platinum

Matt,

Thank you for sharing the set up info. Is the unit pretty much working with Sonar? Put another way, what does work and what doesn't?

I'm waiting for some positive feedback before I take the plunge.

Walt

Roland Jupiter 80, Roland D50, Roland Integra 7, Roland BK-7m, Yamaha Montage 6, ARP Odyssey, Excelsior Continental Artist, Roland FR-8X, 1967 Fender Jaguar, Fender Strat,  Fender 1965 Twin Reverb reissue, Selmer Trumpet, Akai EWI, Studio One 4 Professional, Melodyne Studio 4, Behringer X-Touch, RME Fireface UCX, MOTU MIDI Express XT - ADK Pro Audio Hex Xtreme 6 Core i7 4.5GHz, 64GB, 480GB SS, 3 X 3TB Hard Drives, Win 10, 2 X 27" & 1X 46" Monitors,
My WEB site - www.gontowski.com/music
azslow3
Re: First look: Making the Behringer X-Touch work in SONAR Platinum 2015/11/12 17:41:57 (permalink)
Well, from the previous thread http://forum.cakewalk.com/FindPost/3312354 and after lengthy PM conversation with BlackWave, the conclusion is simple: this device is exactly Mackie unit Sonar plug-in expects, just with different labels in buttons section.

RME Babyface Pro (M-Audio Audiophile Firewire/410, VS-20), Kawai CN43, TD-11, Roland A500S, Akai MPK Mini, Keystation Pro, etc.
www.azslow.com - Control Surface Integration Platform for SONAR, ReaCWP, AOSC and other accessibility tools
riojazz
Re: First look: Making the Behringer X-Touch work in SONAR Platinum 2015/11/12 18:16:40 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby penguin999 2016/11/06 08:08:41
Azslow, I think I've been making too many changes at once and forgot an important one.  About the meters, this actually activated them on the X-Touch:

In SONAR, go to the Utilities Menu, Mackie Control.  Under Options, Meters, the default is Off.  Change that to Signal LEDs and Meters.

Software: Cakewalk by Bandlab; Adobe Audition; Band-in-A-Box audiophile; Izotope Ozone; Encore; Melodyne; Win 10 Pro, 64-bit.

Hardware: Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 2nd; Roland Integra-7; TCE Finalizer; Presonus Central Station, Behringer X-Touch.  Home built i7 with 16 GB RAM, SSDs.
DeeringAmps
Max Output Level: -49 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2614
Re: First look: Making the Behringer X-Touch work in SONAR Platinum 2015/11/13 08:16:46 (permalink)
Matt,
You took the plunge!
I'm tempted.
Is the unit the same "footprint" (size) as the FW1884?
I've checked for specs and haven't found any.
Please keep us posted.

Tom

Tom Deering
Tascam FW-1884 User Resources Page
Firewire "Legacy" Tutorial, Service Manual, Schematic, and Service Bulletins

Win10x64
StudioCat Pro Studio Coffee Lake 8086k 32gb RAM

RME UFX (Audio)
Tascam FW-1884 (Control) in Win 10x64 Pro
riojazz
Re: First look: Making the Behringer X-Touch work in SONAR Platinum 2015/11/13 08:47:39 (permalink)
Hi Tom.  I finally found the dimensions, and I asked Sweetwater to measure it to verify.  They are  3.9" x 17.8" x 11.9".  It's silly Behringer hides this fact because it's one of the best things about the unit!  The Tascam FW-1884 used to balance (barely) on three legs on my desk; this X-Touch fits easily.  And this is the largest of their three models.

I have it working in SONAR to control the transport including markers and scrub playback, control tracks levels and panning, and record and playback with automation curves.  I programmed F2 to Save.  And it coexists fine with my iPad running V-Control Pro from another room, also using Mackie Control emulation.  Even if I don't get anything else working, that's what I wanted it for.

DeeringAmps
Max Output Level: -49 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2614
Re: First look: Making the Behringer X-Touch work in SONAR Platinum 2015/11/13 08:59:15 (permalink)
Can you jump to next measure or back 1 measure?
I swear, I use those 2 keys on the FW the most when I'm editing.

And thanks for the update!

T

Tom Deering
Tascam FW-1884 User Resources Page
Firewire "Legacy" Tutorial, Service Manual, Schematic, and Service Bulletins

Win10x64
StudioCat Pro Studio Coffee Lake 8086k 32gb RAM

RME UFX (Audio)
Tascam FW-1884 (Control) in Win 10x64 Pro
WallyG
Re: First look: Making the Behringer X-Touch work in SONAR Platinum 2015/11/13 11:23:45 (permalink)
riojazz
...I have it working in SONAR to control the transport including markers and scrub playback, control tracks levels and panning, and record and playback with automation curves.  I programmed F2 to Save.  And it coexists fine with my iPad running V-Control Pro from another room, also using Mackie Control emulation.  Even if I don't get anything else working, that's what I wanted it for.

Matt,

Thank you for taking the time to answer my question...

Walt

Roland Jupiter 80, Roland D50, Roland Integra 7, Roland BK-7m, Yamaha Montage 6, ARP Odyssey, Excelsior Continental Artist, Roland FR-8X, 1967 Fender Jaguar, Fender Strat,  Fender 1965 Twin Reverb reissue, Selmer Trumpet, Akai EWI, Studio One 4 Professional, Melodyne Studio 4, Behringer X-Touch, RME Fireface UCX, MOTU MIDI Express XT - ADK Pro Audio Hex Xtreme 6 Core i7 4.5GHz, 64GB, 480GB SS, 3 X 3TB Hard Drives, Win 10, 2 X 27" & 1X 46" Monitors,
riojazz
Re: First look: Making the Behringer X-Touch work in SONAR Platinum 2015/11/13 12:11:48 (permalink)
Tom, I don't know - never did that.  I think the first answer to any question about what it can do must refer to the Mackie Control functions, which I don't yet know that well.  The Behringer manual doesn't address ANY functionality in a DAW, but leaves it to each individual DAW's implementation of Mackie Control. 

The hardest thing for me to get used to that you will understand as a fellow 1884 user is that the X-Touch is not a soundcard, so I cannot use the master fader as a handy volume control for everything audio on my computer (for other programs besides Audition and SONAR, Internet videos, Windows Media Player etc.).  I keep reaching for that fader and it doesn't do anything outside of a DAW.

Walt, you're welcome.  I got it 24 hours ago and haven't used it except for the basics, so don't draw any conclusions yet about what it might be able to do (see above).  Others are much farther ahead; I just had not seen anything basic written about setup requirements yet so I posted here.  I can tell you the timing display doesn't seem to make much sense yet, but you can always look at the screen while using the transport controls, and the shuttle wheel with or without scrub on.

post edited by riojazz - 2015/11/13 12:18:09

WallyG
Re: First look: Making the Behringer X-Touch work in SONAR Platinum 2015/11/13 12:35:00 (permalink)
riojazz
Tom, I don't know - never did that.  I think the first answer to any question about what it can do must refer to the Mackie Control functions, which I don't yet know that well.  The Behringer manual doesn't address ANY functionality in a DAW, but leaves it to each individual DAW's implementation of Mackie Control. 

The hardest thing for me to get used to that you will understand as a fellow 1884 user is that the X-Touch is not a soundcard, so I cannot use the master fader as a handy volume control for everything audio on my computer (for other programs besides Audition and SONAR, Internet videos, Windows Media Player etc.).  I keep reaching for that fader and it doesn't do anything outside of a DAW.

Walt, you're welcome.  I got it 24 hours ago and haven't used it except for the basics, so don't draw any conclusions yet about what it might be able to do (see above).  Others are much farther ahead; I just had not seen anything basic written about setup requirements yet so I posted here.  I can tell you the timing display doesn't seem to make much sense yet, but you can always look at the screen while using the transport controls, and the shuttle wheel with or without scrub on.

Thanks. I trust your judgement (I read a lot of your posts on BIAB forums). Please keep us posted on your findings!

Walt

PS: I also have the Roland V-100 that has the master audio control, so the lack of it on the X-Touch is not a problem for me. 

BlackWave
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 10
Re: First look: Making the Behringer X-Touch work in SONAR Platinum 2015/11/13 13:22:01 (permalink)
Hello,

I have working the x-touch very well with azslow3 help. And yes it is a exact copy of the MCU. I don't find a function that the Mackie can but the X-Touch not. You just have to overlay the buttons.

@ riojazz: For exemple the F2 = save is useless or better you have twice because the save button is allready on the X-touch it is the GROUP button. (Shift + GROUP is Save at) and so on.

Use this to find all the buttons: http://forum.cakewalk.com/FindPost/3312105
I have done some stickers on my X-touch as overlay

I also recommend to use the MackieControll.dll and .ini from azslow3, the Pro Channell EQ and Comp are better integrated with this one and read the help doc of the Mackie Control within SONAR to find out all functions with Shift/Option/Control/Alt buttons (on the Mackie it is M1, M2, M3 and M4) with this some button changed the function.

And again: Sorry my english is not so well.
riojazz
Re: First look: Making the Behringer X-Touch work in SONAR Platinum 2015/11/13 15:27:16 (permalink)
Most helpful, BlackWave.  Thank you.  Your English does the job fine.  Stickers is a good suggestion.

About the F2, I did that mainly to see if I could.  I happen to have set F2 to Save in my SONAR too, so it means something to me to be consistent.  I really wanted the Save icon back, but this was the next best thing!

WallyG
Re: First look: Making the Behringer X-Touch work in SONAR Platinum 2015/12/11 11:24:04 (permalink)
riojazz

Matt,

You've had the X-Touch for about a month now. Are totally happy with the purchase? 

Not sure if I want to get the X-Touch or the "dated" mackie universal pro. Any comments would be greatly appreciated.
Walt
post edited by WallyG - 2015/12/11 11:36:51

riojazz
Re: First look: Making the Behringer X-Touch work in SONAR Platinum 2016/01/05 13:56:57 (permalink)
For anyone reading this, the topic is picked up in the thread WallyG created when he DID purchase the X-Touch.  Go here:

http://forum.cakewalk.com...Platinum-m3339402.aspx

fireberd
Max Output Level: -38 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3704
Re: First look: Making the Behringer X-Touch work in SONAR Platinum 2016/01/05 14:56:17 (permalink)
Thanks for all the info and especially riojazz for listing what had to be done to get the X Touch working.  I just got mine in from Sweetwater (replacing a BCF2000) and what came with it is useless for setting up.   I haven't relabled anything yet.  I'll give it a couple of days to make sure its working OK first. 

You mention the "manual".  Where can I get that?  I don't see it on the Behringer site.

Thanks/Jack

"GCSG Productions"
Franklin D-10 Pedal Steel Guitar (primary instrument). Nashville Telecaster, Bass, etc. 
ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero M/B, i7 6700K CPU, 16GB Ram, SSD and conventional hard drives, Win 10 Pro and Win 10 Pro Insider Pre-Release
Sonar Platinum/CbB. MOTU 896MK3 Hybrid, Tranzport, X-Touch, JBL LSR308 Monitors,  
Ozone 5,  Studio One 4.1
ISRC Registered
Member of Nashville based R.O.P.E. Assn.
WallyG
Re: First look: Making the Behringer X-Touch work in SONAR Platinum 2016/01/06 22:20:39 (permalink)
fireberd
Thanks for all the info and especially riojazz for listing what had to be done to get the X Touch working.  I just got mine in from Sweetwater (replacing a BCF2000) and what came with it is useless for setting up.   I haven't relabled anything yet.  I'll give it a couple of days to make sure its working OK first. 

You mention the "manual".  Where can I get that?  I don't see it on the Behringer site.

Thanks/Jack

Jack,

Reading reviews of the Sonar X-Touch and my own initial experience with the unit claimed that the "User Manual/Quick Start Guide" was useless. Now I realize that there is enough info to get you started. It explains how to connect it, how to change the settings (i.e. change to USB, etc.), and that you should refer to your DAW manual on how to change settings (i.e. Function buttons, etc.). So far (knock on silicon) the unit has operated flawlessly and has exceeded my expectations. I haven't relabled the buttons yet since I've been using it enough to know which button to hit.

If Behringer updates the firmware to match other DAWS to make all the buttons functional and a template for each DAW (hopefully they do Sonar first) it will be the icing on the cake.

Walt

azslow3
Re: First look: Making the Behringer X-Touch work in SONAR Platinum 2016/01/07 05:10:12 (permalink)
In case someone has skipped the thread in Hardware section, here is direct link to the Sonar layout for X-Touch:
http://forum.cakewalk.com/FindPost/3324575

Ibanez Laney
Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 79
Re: First look: Making the Behringer X-Touch work in SONAR Platinum 2016/01/07 06:07:37 (permalink)
What is the build quality like?? Does it have a solid feel?

i7 2600k, 1 x Nvidia 970 + 1 x 560ti, 16GB RAM, 5TB of Spinning Thingys, Focusrite Liquid Sapphire 56 + lots and lots of cables. Sooo many cables.. I think they are breeding.
fireberd
Re: First look: Making the Behringer X-Touch work in SONAR Platinum 2016/01/07 06:48:34 (permalink)
The unit seems well built, not like early Behringer equipment.  Motorized sliders are "noiseless".   In only two days I like it so well, I I sold my BCF2000 today.
post edited by fireberd - 2016/01/07 18:46:16

"GCSG Productions"
Franklin D-10 Pedal Steel Guitar (primary instrument). Nashville Telecaster, Bass, etc. 
ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero M/B, i7 6700K CPU, 16GB Ram, SSD and conventional hard drives, Win 10 Pro and Win 10 Pro Insider Pre-Release
Sonar Platinum/CbB. MOTU 896MK3 Hybrid, Tranzport, X-Touch, JBL LSR308 Monitors,  
Ozone 5,  Studio One 4.1
ISRC Registered
ShannonAnd
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2
Re: First look: Making the Behringer X-Touch work in SONAR Platinum 2016/02/27 12:14:35 (permalink)
i Have made some videos posted to youtube walking thru making all of the functionality of the x-touch work with Sonar Platinum
here is the link too the first one!!

WallyG
Re: First look: Making the Behringer X-Touch work in SONAR Platinum 2016/02/27 12:20:34 (permalink)
ShannonAnd
i Have made some videos posted to youtube walking thru making all of the functionality of the x-touch work with Sonar Platinum
here is the link too the first one!!

With only one post, I believe you can't put in a link. You can PM it to me and I'll post it. 

Wood67
  • Total Posts : 1348
Re: First look: Making the Behringer X-Touch work in SONAR Platinum 2016/03/07 08:52:29 (permalink)
One other thing that's worth adding to the recipe to get things started (I think this may have been at least a contributor to the 'connecting...' issue I had the other day):

Make sure you check/update the firmware. How to do this is not mentioned in the Behringer start guide, but is on one of the YT videos. 

FW downloads as a sysex file (download that from the Behringer website).  You'll need a sysex player to send it to the unit.  I used this one: http://www.bome.com/products/sendsx

On the X-Touch hold the 'Display' button while turning it on.  The left hand side of the display should show the current FW version.  While in that mode you can send the sysex data to update it.  When finished power cycle the unit, hold the display button as you power on and you should see the new version of FW (in my case I think it went from 1.13 to 1.15).

Until I had done that, the unit was recognized by SPLAT as a control surface, but got stuck in the ACT 'Connecting...' mode.  Once updated everything sprung into life.

EDIT: updated version numbers as my memory failed...
post edited by Wood67 - 2016/03/07 17:07:57

Wood

Studio One 3 Pro, (Sonar Platinum), Intel i7, Win10 Pro, 32Gb ram, RME Babyface Pro, Behringer X-Touch, Presonus Faderport, Akai MPK49, Arturia KeyLab25, KRK Rokit 5 monitors, and other sonic surprises.
riojazz
Re: First look: Making the Behringer X-Touch work in SONAR Platinum 2016/03/07 12:19:59 (permalink)
Thanks, Wood

The BOME Sysex utility worked very easily.  I've used BOME products before, with V-Control Pro, the wireless control of my iPad for SONAR.

I updated my firmware from 1.13 to 1.15.

post edited by riojazz - 2016/03/07 13:00:17

Wood67
Re: First look: Making the Behringer X-Touch work in SONAR Platinum 2016/03/07 16:52:34 (permalink)
riojazz
I updated my firmware from 1.13 to 1.15.

My memory ain't what it used to be!  I sort of had the right numbers - glad it worked :)

Wood

Studio One 3 Pro, (Sonar Platinum), Intel i7, Win10 Pro, 32Gb ram, RME Babyface Pro, Behringer X-Touch, Presonus Faderport, Akai MPK49, Arturia KeyLab25, KRK Rokit 5 monitors, and other sonic surprises.
fireberd
Re: First look: Making the Behringer X-Touch work in SONAR Platinum 2016/03/08 10:24:40 (permalink)
I upgraded the firmware in my X-Touch this morning.  The Trim light is now on when I have Sonar up.  I don't recall this being on before?

"GCSG Productions"
Ozone 5,  Studio One 4.1
ISRC Registered
riojazz
Re: First look: Making the Behringer X-Touch work in SONAR Platinum 2016/03/09 10:37:38 (permalink)
Now that you mention it, my Trim light is also on. 

Using the template that's available from links in a few of these X-Touch threads, I see that Trim is actually the Track function in SONAR.  Track is a button in the "Control Group".

fireberd
Re: First look: Making the Behringer X-Touch work in SONAR Platinum 2016/03/09 12:29:17 (permalink)
OK, thanks for the info on the "Track". 

"GCSG Productions"
Ozone 5,  Studio One 4.1
ISRC Registered
riojazz
Re: First look: Making the Behringer X-Touch work in SONAR Platinum 2016/03/09 13:54:53 (permalink)
Right, it's from a link above.  http://forum.cakewalk.com...-m3315483.aspx#3324575

Wood67
Re: First look: Making the Behringer X-Touch work in SONAR Platinum 2016/03/10 06:00:35 (permalink)
@fireberd & riojazz: have you installed azslow3's dll/ini file to replace the standard mackie controller files?

Doing so does start to make the PC eq/comp functions available, though I'm still trying to get to grips with the use of the Edit and page keys.  Also, multi-pressing 'EQ' puts it in different modes that I've yet to figure out consistently.  If I get some time I'll work through more methodically and maybe put together a guide.  While it would be neat to have these working I think it's likely that using the x-touch to control those parameters is not going to be as efficient as the mouse!

It's also well worth getting the overlay, printing it on decent 200g photo paper, and then spending a little while with a craft knife to get it to fit correctly.  I was thrown by the 'Trim' light comment until I peaked under the overlay!

Wood

Page: 123 > Showing page 1 of 3
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1