HP dv7-3080us - a look at one of the better off-the-shelf units

Page: < 12345 > Showing page 3 of 5
Author
pinguinotuerto
Max Output Level: -71 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 976
Re:HP dv7-3080us - a look at one of the better off-the-shelf units 2010/01/15 14:22:03 (permalink)
mike_mccue

Yes, I am serious.

After reading all the assumptions you have just made in the previous post I will leave you to enjoy the fruits of your imagination.

best,
mike

I appreciate your kindness.

HP DV7-3085 Laptop (Intel Core i7 720 1.6 GHZ, 6 GB RAM, 1333 MHZ FSB, 2 500GB 7200 RPM Internal HDs, 17" screen), HP 2009m Monitor, 2TB Ext Drive
Line 6 UX8 with PodFarm 2 Platinum

2 Joe Meek VC6Q British Channels
Sonar Platinum & X3e Producer (64 Bit)

AD2 w Roland V-Drums (TD4KX2)
Windows 7 Home Premium (64 bit)

KRK VXT 8 Monitors
Frontier Alphatrack, Razer Naga Mouse, nanoKontrol2

sandman5000
Max Output Level: -73 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 882
Re:HP dv7-3080us - a look at one of the better off-the-shelf units 2010/01/15 16:22:04 (permalink)
@ mike (this quotes thing....) 

well since u want to try to call me out....doesn't Jim charge $ for those calls?   that is ....uhmmm... what's that word again....oh yeah.. a SALE.  

And firewire?  its on it's last legs!  like it or not,  USB won (or will definitely win).  To recommend a laptop based on if it will work with firewire....thats not too forward thinking at all. Even  the daw salesmen have said..there are none with decent  fiirewire anymore (I'll take their word on it for this point...but i'm not entirely convinced it would not work for EVERY laptop made or  EVERY interface made).

But lets think for a second...who stands to benefit from recommending  firewire interfaces with laptops...and im not singling out JR here.

Another important point that gets ignored...is 64 buffers more noticeable than 128?  Its not a FACT that it is.  There are huge raging debates on whether or not  its even noticeable.  Very serious and pro musicians state they cant tell.  Can you?  can Jim?  PROVE scientifically that its noticeable to every human being.  I'm not talking about on paper.  On paper ..sure.   But in reality?  the debate goes on...

As far as the rest...mr platinum (congratz!) summed it up nicely already. 

Good day.  :)

...(edit)..BTW--you need an expert to tell youwhich home office laptop to buy? Sounds like you don't know much if you need that.   I've built about 10 DAWS for myself n freinds (build soundslike  too much..assembled really).  EZ enough with a little research.   I'd have told you to go to Micro Center or fry's..or somewhere where there isn't a 15% restocking fee like at best buy in case it doesn't fit your needs.  Perhaps you should have called me instead. .
post edited by sandman5000 - 2010/01/15 17:06:57
pinguinotuerto
Re:HP dv7-3080us - a look at one of the better off-the-shelf units 2010/01/15 19:05:50 (permalink)
sandman5000

I'd have told you to go to Micro Center or fry's..or somewhere where there isn't a 15% restocking fee like at best buy in case it doesn't fit your needs.  Perhaps you should have called me instead. .
Hey Sandman,

My local Best Buy (Southern California) doesn't charge a restocking fee anymore.  When I bought my Dv7-3085 I told them specifically that I needed it for audio and I explained my concerns about having to pay a restocking fee if it didn't work.  The manager came up and informed me that Best Buy was doing away with the restocking fee policy.  As you already know, I didn't have to take it back .  Take care and thanks for sticking up for those who dare disagree with the Pros.

HP DV7-3085 Laptop (Intel Core i7 720 1.6 GHZ, 6 GB RAM, 1333 MHZ FSB, 2 500GB 7200 RPM Internal HDs, 17" screen), HP 2009m Monitor, 2TB Ext Drive

KRK VXT 8 Monitors

The Maillard Reaction
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 31918
Re:HP dv7-3080us - a look at one of the better off-the-shelf units, 2010/01/15 19:49:39 (permalink)
sandman5000

@ mike (this quotes thing....) 

well since u want to try to call me out....doesn't Jim charge $ for those calls?   that is ....uhmmm... what's that word again....oh yeah.. a SALE.  

And firewire?  its on it's last legs!  like it or not,  USB won (or will definitely win).  To recommend a laptop based on if it will work with firewire....thats not too forward thinking at all. Even  the daw salesmen have said..there are none with decent  fiirewire anymore (I'll take their word on it for this point...but i'm not entirely convinced it would not work for EVERY laptop made or  EVERY interface made).

But lets think for a second...who stands to benefit from recommending  firewire interfaces with laptops...and im not singling out JR here.

Another important point that gets ignored...is 64 buffers more noticeable than 128?  Its not a FACT that it is.  There are huge raging debates on whether or not  its even noticeable.  Very serious and pro musicians state they cant tell.  Can you?  can Jim?  PROVE scientifically that its noticeable to every human being.  I'm not talking about on paper.  On paper ..sure.   But in reality?  the debate goes on...

As far as the rest...mr platinum (congratz!) summed it up nicely already. 

Good day.  :)

...(edit)..BTW--you need an expert to tell youwhich home office laptop to buy? Sounds like you don't know much if you need that.   I've built about 10 DAWS for myself n freinds (build soundslike  too much..assembled really).  EZ enough with a little research.   I'd have told you to go to Micro Center or fry's..or somewhere where there isn't a 15% restocking fee like at best buy in case it doesn't fit your needs.  Perhaps you should have called me instead. .

Mr Sandman,
 I'd really like to make a scene with you and your wild assumptions... but I am going to choose to take the easy way out.

re: "doesn't Jim charge $ for those calls?"

I do not know the answer to that question.

We simply had a conversation.

pinguinotuerto,
 Thanks for your reply. It was well received.

I encourage both of you to share all the good experiences you have had with your laptops. Most folks will figure out if the review will apply to their circumstances and be appreciative of the info.

sandman5000
Re:HP dv7-3080us - a look at one of the better off-the-shelf units, 2010/01/15 20:12:45 (permalink)
mike..you seem like a classy guy and I appreciate you taking the high road. 

I will take your advice and post on the capabilities of my little acer netbook.  I never tried to see its limits (since I use it in combination with hardware).   But it should be fun and perhaps helpfull. 
sandman5000
Re:HP dv7-3080us - a look at one of the better off-the-shelf units, 2010/01/15 20:29:12 (permalink)
mr platinum...that must b a new change at Best Buy.  Or maybe just California?  last time I asked was December.  I think it would be great if they have a no restocking fee now. 

Keep rocking out with your karaoke rig!

The Maillard Reaction
Re:HP dv7-3080us - a look at one of the better off-the-shelf units, 2010/01/15 20:59:38 (permalink)
Thanks Sandman,

all the best,
mike

pinguinotuerto
Re:HP dv7-3080us - a look at one of the better off-the-shelf units, 2010/01/15 21:02:37 (permalink)
sandman5000

mr platinum...that must b a new change at Best Buy.  Or maybe just California?  last time I asked was December.  I think it would be great if they have a no restocking fee now. 

Keep rocking out with your karaoke rig!

Sand,
I got mine right before Thanksgiving.  You might want to ask again. 

P.S. Karaoke is Japanese for "Bad Ass Portable DAW" (You must say it with a thick Japanese accent).
post edited by pinguinotuerto - 2010/01/15 21:38:59

KRK VXT 8 Monitors

Timur
Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 179
Re:HP dv7-3080us - a look at one of the better off-the-shelf units, 2010/01/17 04:44:32 (permalink)
I didn't read through the whole thread, but some things to mention here:

On DPC Latencies

1. DPC latencies are not the only source for dropouts! You can have perfectly low DPCs and still get dropouts.

One good example is Apple's Bootcamp driver (the one allowing to use the F-keys for screen brightness etc).

Another example is using the Fireface (400 or UC) with a combination of 48/96/192 kHz and 48/96/192 samples. I found that this combination can lead to erratic CPU load behavior. Instead of constant CPU load at a certain level you get times of nearly no load and then high spikes upto 100%. This can cause dropouts, most likely because of dynamic CPU clocking (Speedstep), but also because of uneven load balancing (bursts of 100% are not exactly even).

2. DPC Latency Checker is only giving you *hints*, it is *not* a precise measuring tool for knowing the DPCs *while* you are working with an audio application!

The problem here is that if you measure without the DAW running you are missing the highest priority (MMCSS realtime in case of Sonar) DAW calls that cause audio driver DPCs. And if you are measuring while the DAW is running you are measuring the DPCs of the audio driver even though you want to know everything *but* the audio driver.

By the way, dynamic CPU clocking (Speedstep) has an impact on the measuring process/DPC length, so you should measure while putting the CPU on load, too, not just idle.

3. If you get DPCs upto to around 300 us you are usually good to go even for the lowest possible audio buffer settings. Vista/W7 will give usually you reading around 50-150 us and XP can get down to <10 us, but that really doesn't make much of a difference at all.

Remember that the lowest possible audio latency on Windows is 1 ms which corresponds to a audio driver DPC each 1000 us, and most people wont ever reach *that* low on their setups anyway. Also remember (1).

4. Quite often DPC latencies are caused by graphic-card driver's dynamic clocking of the GPU (and its onboard RAM). One workaround is to set the graphic-card's driver to a *fixed* performance mode (clock-rate) via the free utility Rivatuner.

http://www.gearslutz.com/board/4050467-post26.html

On Firewire Chipset issues and Windows 7

Because Windows 7 has a bug in its non-legacy Firewire drivers RME changed the Firewire driver to use another data transport method (the same that was used on OS X anyway). I can well imagine that some chipsets (like the JMicron) may run better with one of the two methods!

So if the OP still has that HP laptop around you should try both the current Fireface driver *and* an older (pre 2.999) one with legacy and without. You may find a combination that works on your chipset. If so then report that back to RME.

We're all mad in here...
Mus
Max Output Level: -83 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 383
Re:HP dv7-3080us - a look at one of the better off-the-shelf units 2010/01/17 08:03:29 (permalink)
Jim Roseberry

Unless you have the ability to create custom BIOS/drivers for said hardware, you're not going to achieve low idle DPC latency with the HP.

Hardly any options in that BIOS at all. Was there anything worth tweaking (Virtiualisation, 1394 power saving, Fan always on)?

Just wondered if you updated to the latest BIOS?

Mus
Re:HP dv7-3080us - a look at one of the better off-the-shelf units, 2010/01/17 11:17:31 (permalink)
Timur

4. Quite often DPC latencies are caused by graphic-card driver's dynamic clocking of the GPU (and its onboard RAM). One workaround is to set the graphic-card's driver to a *fixed* performance mode (clock-rate) via the free utility Rivatuner.

http://www.gearslutz.com/board/4050467-post26.html

RivaTuner says that the GeForce 230M is untested with the utility - bit loathe to try that..

First thing I tried with the machine was using a standard VGA driver which helped a bit but the screen looked sh*t. I disabled the DVD-drive and got as low as 96 but not constant.

pinguinotuerto
Re:HP dv7-3080us - a look at one of the better off-the-shelf units, 2010/01/17 13:10:13 (permalink)
I still "question" the validity or relevance of this DPC Latency test on new machines running Windows 7 with a Core i7 processor.  Like I said before, my DPC results hover between 100+ and 400+, spiking at 500+ and I have no dropouts whatsoever.

So who the heck cares what this test says if the machine is working fine with Sonar? 

Is the goal to have a machine you can record music with, or to have a machine that performs well in this test?
post edited by pinguinotuerto - 2010/01/17 13:12:23

KRK VXT 8 Monitors

The Maillard Reaction
Re:HP dv7-3080us - a look at one of the better off-the-shelf units, 2010/01/17 13:36:05 (permalink)
"I still "question" the validity or relevance of this DPC Latency test on new machines running Windows 7 with a Core i7 processor.  Like I said before, my DPC results hover between 100+ and 400+, spiking at 500+ and I have no dropouts whatsoever."

The fact that you question this has been obvious.

This is clearly a "if you have to ask" situation.

It's obvious you haven't been in a situation where you need the DPC to be minimal.

That's why I suggest that people simply make their own field report rather than denounce Jim's conclusions with the vigour displayed previously.

For example; your claim that your workflow can withstand a DPC rating of 500 helps me understand that you are truly satisfied, yet it tells me that I will not be.

Easy. Painless. Freindly.

best regards,
mike

pinguinotuerto
Re:HP dv7-3080us - a look at one of the better off-the-shelf units, 2010/01/17 13:45:58 (permalink)
mike_mccue

"I still "question" the validity or relevance of this DPC Latency test on new machines running Windows 7 with a Core i7 processor.  Like I said before, my DPC results hover between 100+ and 400+, spiking at 500+ and I have no dropouts whatsoever."

The fact that you question this has been obvious.

This is clearly a "if you have to ask" situation.

It's obvious you haven't been in a situation where you need the DPC to be minimal.

That's why I suggest that people simply make their own field report rather than denounce Jim's conclusions with the vigour displayed previously.

For example; your claim that your workflow can withstand a DPC rating of 500 helps me understand that you are truly satisfied, yet it tells me that I will not be.

Easy. Painless. Freindly.

best regards,
mike
Mike,
I'm not going to keep going back and forth with you on this. You're obviously missing my "obvious" point.  And I am not denouncing Jim's conclusions, so you can stop being defensive already.

KRK VXT 8 Monitors

The Maillard Reaction
Re:HP dv7-3080us - a look at one of the better off-the-shelf units, 2010/01/17 14:19:40 (permalink)

I think I could answer the question you have about the validity most easily if you had a chance to see how someone like myself uses SONAR... which is as a multitrack studio that can host many musicians in a room at once... each one demanding some special service from the DAW... you would immediately recognize the deal breaking nature of the DPC levels you are reporting.

SONAR is offered as being fully capable of these sorts of tasks... and for the most part it is... but you need a super clean computer to make full use of the potential.

From the perspective of everyone who claimed to have appreciated the review... this is obvious.

So what I am saying is that you are claiming to be more than satisfied with a system that I could not depend on. I think that is fine.

I hope you see by my careful use of the term "people" that I did not single you out in my previous post... I do appreciate that you have been one of the more civil folks. It does sincerly disappoint me when I see people question Jim's motives... and I really aprreciated the way you spoke with him and smoothed over any misunderstanding... that was a great example of open mindeness.

FWIW I had the custom build version of the dv7 laptop in HP's shopping cart last night and was going to buy it for my all arounder laptop... but I had a disappointing coupon snafu whereby the HP shopping cart showed me a nicely discounted price but then lost my coupon and raised the price substantially when I went to check out so I backed out of the deal.

I would have enjoyed seeing that system for myself, and may still get one.

best regards,
mike

sandman5000
Re:HP dv7-3080us - a look at one of the better off-the-shelf units, 2010/01/17 16:30:44 (permalink)
i'm not convinced on the dpc thing either.   I've been recording with computers since 2000 (when they finally started getting there).  And even then it was ez enough to record and overdub, in real time,  by using an outboard mixer and some outboard fx.

But even without that...for example... I recorded a Salsa band (8 mics at a time ) a few years back on Cubase VST 5,  an aardvark q10 (still use it!) win 2k, a 1.4 athlon and one 7200 rpm hd (the c drive...partinioned).  No clitches...no issues...I got paid and they where happy with the results.

Latency didnt matter one bit.   wasnt an issue at all.  And I then played a virtual piano and added virtual percusion (and you need low latency and tight timing to play percusiion and drums in particular).  I had the sample buffers at 256 and it was fine.   If I wanted to freeze and manage my cpu better...I could get to 128  with that old rig but 256 was fine.

Once the real time playing was done...up the latency and mix away...been doing it forever and its a perfectly valid and acceptable way to work.

I really can't picture any type of serious commercial studio (even in this day and age)  without a stand alone mixer and at least some out board gear.  

Now pretty much all sound cards have zero latency monitoring.  And some even include fx.  And this is all at "zero latency". 

so all this "ultra low latency"  and the dpc thing  just become academic  really. 

Real life is what some of us are talking about.
Timur
Re:HP dv7-3080us - a look at one of the better off-the-shelf units, 2010/01/17 17:09:54 (permalink)
Somehow it feels as if I hadn't posted that exhaustive (exhausting?) explanation about DPC interpretation at all.

Ok, who here knows what DPCs are?

We're all mad in here...
sandman5000
Re:HP dv7-3080us - a look at one of the better off-the-shelf units, 2010/01/17 17:20:34 (permalink)
right timur..that was an awesome post on dpc.  thanks for that.   :)
The Maillard Reaction
Re:HP dv7-3080us - a look at one of the better off-the-shelf units, 2010/01/17 17:30:20 (permalink)
Do you ever find yourself in a position where you are tracking 16-24 mics at once?

re. monitoring: Have you ever asked the Salsa band to punch in?

Most people don't get concerned about latency until they start overdubbing.

Do you do much overdubbing?

Regardless of your prefered method of working, flexibility and the ability to use all of the features provided in a DAW still seems pertinent to todays real life experience.

It appears to me that you just suggested 2 different work arounds... and they were old work arounds at that... (OTB monitor mixer and OTB effects) and then stated that somehow these proposed work around solutions have made the pertinence of trying to use all the features in a DAW old fashioned.

Excuse me? I think you are suggesting we retract our expectations of a DAW so that you can deny that DPC latenecy is the cause of problems.

I'm old school... I retired my hardware mixers and mix matrixes reluctantly but now that I have seen that ITB is the future I'm eager to stay aware of what computer systems will do the job.

If the DPC is spiking to 500 I know what I need to know. :-)

:-)

Mus
Re:HP dv7-3080us - a look at one of the better off-the-shelf units 2010/01/17 17:31:09 (permalink)
Jim Roseberry

Load up the Unified Tribe song "Guilty" from the Sonar 8 content DVD. 
On a fast i7 tower/rackmount DAW, "Guilty" really isn't that heavy of a load (~12-20% on my tower).
Start playback at said settings... and have a listen. 
In short, it won't playback without major glitches.  No amount of bickering, arguing, complaining, etc will change this.
Using a TI chipset Firewire controller (via express-card) won't change this.
Streaming the audio from an eSATA HD that sustains 120MB/Sec won't change this.
The only way to mitigate the problem is... wait for it... to increase latency.  
These laptops *could* have effectively worked at a 64-sample ASIO buffer size (the processing power is there), but DPC latency has to be down to the bone and consistent to do so.  We know this not to be the case.  For the record, the Dell Studio 1747's DPC latency is very slightly lower and a little more consistent than the HP's. 

EDITED to add:
As a point of comparison, the much slower 2.4GHz Core2Duo Laptop (MBP) breezes thru the above test (with the exact same audio hardware and settings)... totally glitch-free.  That's the difference low DPC latency and good TI Firewire can make.  If the HP and Dell had those attributes, they have enough speed to smoke the 2.4GHz Core2Duo.

For comparison the DV7 3020EA manages this song at 128 samples and 35-40% CPU through a USB Tascam US 122L .

The Maillard Reaction
Re:HP dv7-3080us - a look at one of the better off-the-shelf units, 2010/01/17 17:36:31 (permalink)
Timur

Somehow it feels as if I hadn't posted that exhaustive (exhausting?) explanation about DPC interpretation at all.

Ok, who here knows what DPCs are?

another example;

I have found that messing with MOTU Cuemix while tracking 16 inputs at 96khz has caused dropouts in my wav files that were not heard in the monitoring. The record process persisted and seemed fine... and only picky people like myself could notice 10-15 sample long crackles in playback that I eventually traced down to making adjustments in Cuemix while running that particular system at it's edge. BTW it was a laptop with excellent DPC measurements. The Cuemix driver, or rather my fiddling with it, was the ultimate problem.

best,
mike

edit to add: The above was meant to agree with your premise that DPC are not the only problem... I imagined your question as rhetorical, and honestly I don't care if a system interrupt occurs because of windows juggling the routing of tasks with a deferred procedure or if an rouge app causes the problem all by itself. It seems clear an interrupt isn't what you are looking for in a system that you are asking to stream.

post edited by mike_mccue - 2010/01/17 17:48:17

Mus
Re:HP dv7-3080us - a look at one of the better off-the-shelf units, 2010/01/17 17:49:14 (permalink)
Timur

It's a Sunday maybe other people haven't got round to replying

As I said I downloaded RivaTuner but it doesn't support the GeForce 230M

Latency is up to 300 but performance does not seem to be equivalent to a tweaked MBP Core2Duo.

I'm waiting to see which interface will get the best out of this HP - MOTU Ultralite Mk3 Hybrid maybe...?

What can I tweak next?

sandman5000
Re:HP dv7-3080us - a look at one of the better off-the-shelf units, 2010/01/17 17:56:19 (permalink)
"Excuse me? I think you are suggesting we retract our expectations of a DAW so that you can deny that DPC latenecy is the cause of problems."

not saying that in the least.  just trying to say that too much is made of all that.  

And again...with a modern sound card...it will have zero latency monitoring...so it's just like going through an outboard mixer. 

I personally LOVE doing it all it the box.   And I do, and have, for years and years.  

The less gear to lug around the better.   
Jim Roseberry
  • Total Posts : 9871
Re:HP dv7-3080us - a look at one of the better off-the-shelf units 2010/01/17 18:22:30 (permalink)
For comparison the DV7 3020EA manages this song at 128 samples and 35-40% CPU through a USB Tascam US 122L .

Absolutely...
I mentioned this about the HP and Dell.   
Keep in mind that your round-trip latency just doubled (by running at 128-samples rather than at 64).
That may or may not be important... depending on whether you intend to monitor in realtime thru soft-EFX.

Best Regards,

Jim Roseberry
jim@studiocat.com
www.studiocat.com
Jim Roseberry
Re:HP dv7-3080us - a look at one of the better off-the-shelf units, 2010/01/17 18:37:28 (permalink)
I'm waiting to see which interface will get the best out of this HP - MOTU Ultralite Mk3 Hybrid maybe...?

Fireface UC.
FWIW, No audio interface will allow you to circumvent the issue with higher DPC latency.
By going with a USB audio audio interface that delivers round-trip latency equal to the best PCI/e and Firewire units (avoiding the onboard Firewire and express-card chipset), you've maximized the system's potential.
Currently, no other USB audio interface delivers that level of low round-trip latency performance.
(If the Ultralite mkIII Hybrid has the same round-trip latency as it's Firewire brother, it'll be a couple of ms higher than the Fireface UC.  The mkIII units all have about 2ms higher round-trip latency - using the current driver than the previous non-mkIII units.  The new driver is required to support the new onboard DSP functions.  Owners of previous MOTU Firewire units like the 896HD and 8-Pre achieve better round-trip latency by using driver version 3.6.7.4)

Best Regards,

Jim Roseberry
jim@studiocat.com
www.studiocat.com
Jim Roseberry
Re:HP dv7-3080us - a look at one of the better off-the-shelf units, 2010/01/17 18:41:19 (permalink)
only picky people like myself could notice 10-15 sample long crackles in playback

Another example why I don't like gambling with high DPC latency or audio interfaces that have been known to be flakey.  I don't want to have to worry about glitches...
Make the right choices with all the above... and you never have to give it a second thought.

Best Regards,

Jim Roseberry
jim@studiocat.com
www.studiocat.com
Jim Roseberry
Re:HP dv7-3080us - a look at one of the better off-the-shelf units, 2010/01/17 18:45:58 (permalink)
It's a Sunday maybe other people haven't got round to replying As I said I downloaded RivaTuner but it doesn't support the GeForce 230M

You can also completely uninstall the video driver to see if that was the culprit.
In this case... uninstalling the driver will show you that it is not the problem.   

As Timur mentioned, video cards certainly can cause DPC latency problems.
Poor drivers can cause high DPC latency.  Note that if you use the stock WiFi drivers for the MBP (included with Bootcamp), they cause high DPC latency.  Luckily, you can chase down a better driver.

Best Regards,

Jim Roseberry
jim@studiocat.com
www.studiocat.com
teaandjambeforejam
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2
Re:HP dv7-3080us - a look at one of the better off-the-shelf units 2010/01/17 22:34:01 (permalink)
pinguinotuerto

teaandjambeforejam

pinguinotuerto,

my laptop is a hp pavilion dv7 (2043cl) and i would like to use this machine for recording if possible. i notice you are working with a laptop from the same series and a line 6 ux8. i was thinking of buying a ux2 however there are thousands of threads on the line 6 forums suggesting that line 6 studio pods will not work with this series of hp laptop. i would be working with guitars and mics for voices and maybe some softsynths. i am a mere hobbyist when it comes to the studio and wanting to record some work for independent releases is all. any advice on how you got the line 6 gear working would be much appreciated as would any advice on alternative interfaces in the same price range that would work with my system (x64 home premium version of vista although i may upgrade to windows 7).
Tea,
Wow, that's a really tough one because so many people are having very different results with Line 6 units and Windows 7 BETA drivers.  I went straight from XP SP3 to Win 7, so I can't really be much help with Vista.  It seems, according to Line 6 T.S., that some processors don't work well with Line 6 USB units, one of them being the AMD Turion.  I experienced a lot of glitches with my old system (Dual Turion) and my Line 6 gear and was told by Line 6 that some people have found success by plugging in their Line 6 units into a self-powered USB hub.  I never tried it, so I can't tell you if it works or not, but it might be worth a try.  I checked your machine and it seems to have an Intel Core 2 Duo T6400. I don't have any experience with that processor so I can't really comment on it and I really haven't checked the Line 6 forums regarding Vista, but if I'm not mistaken I think their Vista drivers were ok.   I like both the UX2 and the UX8.  See if you can work out a deal with a store where they can guarantee you that you can return it within a certain amount of time if it doesn't work for you.  Most stores have a 14 to 30 day return policy without a re-stocking fee.

I'm sorry I can't help you more! Good luck!

I have since read several threads which suggest that the issue only occurs with DV series laptops with AMD processors not Intel processors so I should be fine to go ahead and get myself a UX2 but, indeed, I shall make sure I can return the unit if there are any problems. Much-appreciated, mate!
Timur
Re:HP dv7-3080us - a look at one of the better off-the-shelf units 2010/01/18 07:01:50 (permalink)
Ok, the browser just ate my detailed post, so here is the short version:

1. Try forcing "Realtime" priority on your audio applications via Task-Manager (must be run "as Administrator" or UAC turned off). Even MMCSS is a compromise and has its flaws.

Ableton Live is one example where using realtime priority (no MMCSS offered) fixes dropouts that occur even at non-existant DPC latencies.

2. Try turning off Multicore support of Quadcore/Hyperthreading CPUs in your DAW/Sonar. Especially try using the "Affinity" option of Task-Manager on standalone software instruments.

3. Try working around Speedstep CPU power-saving features. Many BIOS don't allow this to be turned off (especially on laptops) or might even fix the CPU at *lowest* frequency when turning this off. Setting Windows' power-managment to "Performance" does *not* turn off Speedstep, but just increases CPU clock-rates earlier and easier.

Instead you need to create artificial load, preferably from within your DAW/Sonar. You could try using a background application like Prime95, but this messes with MMCSS, so you need to do some testing.

4. Rivatuner might tell you that it does not support the current *version* of the graphic-card's driver. You can ignore this and force RT to still offer all options as long as it supports the graphic-card at all.

We're all mad in here...
mick@itc
Max Output Level: -78 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 629
Re:HP dv7-3080us - a look at one of the better off-the-shelf units 2010/01/18 21:18:14 (permalink)
Hi all

Got a HP308tx (spec here http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/au/en/ho/WF06b/321957-321957-3329744-64354-64354-4011368-4065744.html?jumpid=reg_R1002_AUEN) a few weeks ago.
Running Win 7 (32) and Sonar 8.5.2 and really loving it.  As Jim said, a ton of bloatware and still not finished cleaning that up.  Simple USB interface (Edirol UA-4fx), USB controller.  It's not a system critical live resource, I use HD24XRs for live recording.  Its great to have a mobile "scratch pad" facility that I can sit with artists and capture the basics or capture the "missing" track from the studio. 
So far it's been rock solid, no latency issues per se, but again, it is not the studio computer, it has a difference purpose.  I back up the notion mentioned that if you want a DAW without too much mobility...get a desktop.

Regards
Mick

PS. this is the first time I EVER had a DAW with network access and so far...(touch wood) have not had any nasty surprises and find it excellent to be able to distract myself by surfing or emailing 

Mick from Oz. 
HP DV7-3008tx , Sonar 8.5 PE,  Komplete 6, GPO, JABB, Ozone 4, Melodyne Studio & DNA
Page: < 12345 > Showing page 3 of 5
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1