HP dv7-3080us - a look at one of the better off-the-shelf units

Page: < 12345 > Showing page 4 of 5
Author
The Maillard Reaction
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 31918
Re:HP dv7-3080us - a look at one of the better off-the-shelf units 2010/01/19 08:51:07 (permalink)
I fired up DPC latency checker on my 1-1/2 year old desktop... it's a dedicated DAW running a 3.2GB quad at 1066.

at idle DPC max and average = 32μs+/-

Kontak playing a huge drum library,
B4II
lots of Sonitus EFX on 8 audio tracks
Melodyne on one track
Pristine Space on the master with 2 6 second long IRs

DPC max = 83μs while getting crazy with dragging windows with my tablet pen.
DPC average = 40μs+/-

8 tracks of audio, a few Sonitus EFX on each track
Pristine Space on master with another pair of 6 second IRs

DPC max = 45μs while getting crazy with dragging windows with my tablet pen.
DPC average = 32μs+/-

I have noticed that the maximum seems to correlate with the moment I hit the reset button in DPC Latency checker... in other words... I can not hit the maximum I have reported while working with the DAW itself... I have to ask the test app to do some work to get the max spike.

If I was observing spikes to 500μs, I'd start searching my wav files in Wavlab looking for errors. (Wavlab has the best error search that I am aware of for Win... and I'd like to find an alternative... so if you have a suggestion... please suggest)

best regards,
mike

ajcabinetry
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 9
Re:HP dv7-3080us - a look at one of the better off-the-shelf units 2010/01/21 14:43:09 (permalink)
Thanks Jim for your input and suggestions. I greatly appreciate it.
smoothjeff
  • Total Posts : 3
Re:HP dv7-3080us - a look at one of the better off-the-shelf units 2010/01/28 00:28:49 (permalink)
FOUND LAPTOP WITH ACCEPTABLE LATENCY!

I have been reading this thread for a few days while deciding on a laptop to buy and just registered on here to make this post and save some people time. I had a Dell Studio 1535 (look it up it's the most uncurable DPC latency disaster ever), I sold that and bought a Studio 1555 because I read on a forum a guy had no DPC spikes, however the idle DPC was still ranging 150-500us so I was having audio problems. I saw an even faster HP than my Dell for $700 on eBay but went to Costco and it's DPC was ranging from 290-500us. I was about to give up then I saw a review for the Dell Studio 1558 and the reviewer showed a DPC latency test which was fairly decent (compared to other off the shelf laptops) http://www.notebookcheck.net/Review-Dell-Studio-1558-Notebook.24496.0.html
If you look at his link for the Dell 1557 review you can see that one had the same crap DPC levels, but the 1558 was acceptable so I looked specifically to try another Dell with the new Intel mainboard and i5 cpu. Heres the link for the laptop I bought (it's on sale until January 30th for $649)
http://www.staples.com/Dell-Insprion-17.3-Laptop-(Blue)/product_851069

I didn't like that it didn't have a graphics adapter with dedicated memory, plus I'm going to have to upgrade the 5,400rpm hard drive for something faster, but this is the first time I've been able to use Guitar Rig at low latency without any problems. The latencies range around 60-140us on average, but this is with wifi on and straight out of the box with all of Dell's bs on it. I'm hoping I can get it consistently lower with a fresh install of Windows and some tweaking if anyone has any good suggestions to save me time?

It's not as low as the computer in Jim's video, and probably won't handle as much as a good desktop but for $649 I'm glad I can get something out of this. And considering I took my flash drive with the DPC latency checker and copied it onto every semi-powerful laptop in Best Buy and Staples, and the one I bought was the ONLY one with consistent latency under 130us, I didn't have much of an option. I took videos of several laptops with the DPC latency checker (with wifi turned off) but here's the one I bought (I used the camera on my new phone so it's really hard to see but it's ranging from 60-100us in the video)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jCqJ0JhuFto

Again, I've already put too much time into finding a laptop vs. actually playing/recording the music it's intended for, so if anyone has any tweaks to try out to get the DPC latency lower, that would be appreciated
Jim Roseberry
  • Total Posts : 9871
Re:HP dv7-3080us - a look at one of the better off-the-shelf units 2010/01/28 16:14:18 (permalink)
Hi Jeff,

What are you using for an audio interface?

Best Regards,

Jim Roseberry
jim@studiocat.com
www.studiocat.com
smoothjeff
Re:HP dv7-3080us - a look at one of the better off-the-shelf units 2010/01/30 03:25:05 (permalink)
Just a cheap Native Instruments Rig Kontrol 3 usb interface for right now
post edited by smoothjeff - 2010/01/30 03:32:27
dstor525
  • Total Posts : 7
Re:HP dv7-3080us - a look at one of the better off-the-shelf units 2010/01/30 07:43:57 (permalink)
Jim,
Could we take this senario and step back a little. Say you find an older duo core laptop with a TI chipset that will run XP pro fine with 4 gig of ram and a 7200rpm sata hard drive. Is it worth tweaking for firewire interfaces or are you still going to end up with lass than desirable results. I have 2 such Toshiba laptops A105S4004 and want to strip one down to nothing but audio.

Don
Jim Roseberry
Re:HP dv7-3080us - a look at one of the better off-the-shelf units 2010/01/30 10:37:22 (permalink)
Could we take this senario and step back a little. Say you find an older duo core laptop with a TI chipset that will run XP pro fine with 4 gig of ram and a 7200rpm sata hard drive. Is it worth tweaking for firewire interfaces or are you still going to end up with lass than desirable results. I have 2 such Toshiba laptops A105S4004 and want to strip one down to nothing but audio.

Hi Don,

If you can get DPC latency under control... and the laptop has a TI Firewire controller, it should work pretty well.
If it's an older machine, it may not provide enough DSP resources to mix, but it would be useful for audio tracking purposes.

Best Regards,

Jim Roseberry
jim@studiocat.com
www.studiocat.com
Phoenix
Max Output Level: -56.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1886
Re:HP dv7-3080us - a look at one of the better off-the-shelf units 2010/02/01 13:42:58 (permalink)
That's interesting about the Dell. Score 1 for the core i5's, then, I guess.

ratona
Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 69
Re:HP dv7-3080us - a look at one of the better off-the-shelf units 2010/02/01 15:48:52 (permalink)
I checked the manual of my Dell and saw that the controller for it was not the Ricoh but rather Intel.  So I decided to buy an express card (bekin).  A safe thing to do since I could return it if it didn't work.  So Installed it and checked the device manager and saw it was using the TI Chipset from the express card.  So here is what I do in 5 minutes before setting up to record for the weekend and also what my experience has been thus far.  Again, I am really a layman at all this but am steadfast and gaining experience.  Here is what I do:

My setup first:
Dell Inspiron E1505 Laptop
Windows Vista Home Preium
Intel(R)Core(TM)2CPU T7200 @ 2.00GHz 2.00 GHz
Memory: RAM 2.00GB
System: 32 Bit
Recording w/Sonar 8 Producer Edition
Sound Card: Motu 8-pre
Yamaha S90ES Keyboard

Device Manager

The Following are disabled when recording:
    *Battery:Microsoft ACPI-Compliant Control Method Battery
    *Display Driver:NVIDIA GeForce Go 7300    
    *DVD Drive
    *IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers (only the following)
       -Ricoh Memory Stick Host Controller
       -Ricoh MMC Host Controller
       -Ricoh xD-Picture Card Controller
    *IEEE 1394 Bus Host Controllers (only the following
       -RICOH OHCI Compliant IEEE 1394 Host Controller
    *Imaging Devices
       -Brother MFC-7820N LAN (my printer)
    *Modems
       -Conexant HDA D110 MDC V.92 Modem
    *Networking:
       -Broadcom 440x 10/100 Integrated Controller
       -Broadcom 802.11g Network Adapter
***NOTE This doesn't take but a couple of minutes and a reboot, but before reboot, I also do 2 other things. 
Here they are.
1.  Under the "Start Menu" in the search pane I type in the following "msconfig"
2.  I am then prompted by a pop-up window -the user account control and it requestes my permission to continue.  I select "continue"
3.  I then see the System Configuration Panel.  There are 5 tabs at the top.  I select the "Services tab"
4. VERY IMPORTANT, at the bottom left corner of the screen you will see a box you can check that says "Hide All Microsoft services" .  I check the box.
5.  Then I select the "Disable all" tab at the right side above the help tab.
6.  Then I select the Apply tab to the left of the help tab.
7.  Then again to the top where the 5 tabs are I select the Startup tab.
8.  On that screen I simply select Disable all at the lower right above the help tab.
9.  Again select apply
11. On the General Tab (again found at the top-one of the 5 main tabs) I select it.
12.  Here I have 3 options for startup selection.  I see the following choices: Normal startup, Diagonostic startup and Selective startup.  The one that is selected is the 3rd on and the associated boxes under that have "Load system services" checked.  "Load startup items" is NOT checked and Use orginal boot configuration is Greyed out.
13.  If you make any changes here then select apply, otherwise just close by selecting the X at the upper right coner of the box.
14.  If you get a window that asks you to reboot, select "exit without rebooting or restarting"
Lastly, I go to the bottom right of my main windows screen and place my pointer over the norton icon in task manager.  I disable "norton anti virus" and "smart firewall"
OKAY, then I reboot.

Results
I have been recording just fine. No pops/clicks or dropouts.
I have not done any live recording yet.
Initally I took one of my old songs that had 4 midi tracks done and cloned them to the point of having 32 tracks.  Not a problem.

The DPC Checker I ran shows all in the green and no red.  (This was similar to what I saw in Jim's recording of the latency for the hp.  However I will try to do the same and provide more in the same manner.

It has now been several weeks and without problem.  (My recording has been using the S90es and true pianos and other various instruments with the S90es & VST's.

Again to set this up only takes about 5 minutes.
Don't know if this will help you out, but it did me.

As I am a layman at this (really)  I got a response from Zungle saying " Sorry Dude .........thats physically impossible....run a genuine loop back and start counting samples
Can some one elaborate on how I should test this out?  Genuine Loop Back?  All I am doing is recording tracks like I said and have been midi.  And please talk to me so I can understand what your talking about. Thanks

Ratona
Dell Inspiron E1505 Laptop
Windows Vista Home Preium
Intel(R)Core(TM)2CPU T7200 @ 2.00GHz 2.00 GHz
Memory: RAM 2.00GB
System: 32 Bit
Recording w/Sonar 8 Producer Edition
Phoenix
Re:HP dv7-3080us - a look at one of the better off-the-shelf units 2010/02/01 16:22:21 (permalink)
@ratona--
I think Zungle means it is impossible to get true "zero" latency and I don't think that's what you meant. You  meant "no noticeable (or "audible") latency, correct? That is not the same as absolute zero.
I've never done such a test myself; "no pops/clicks or dropouts" with the DPC latency checker all in the green is good by me. So your post has been very informative for me, since I've been looking for a laptop myself. BTW, have you tried using a startup manager instead of msconfig? It might save you a few steps.
ratona
  • Total Posts : 69
Re:HP dv7-3080us - a look at one of the better off-the-shelf units 2010/02/01 17:32:40 (permalink)
That is exactly what I was saying.  I will look into the startup manager way of doing things.  Any pointers appreciated.  Also as a side note:

My express card has a usb port as well as the 2 firewire ports.  Since the usb port was available, I have found that by dissabling the usb ports on my laptop also brought down the latency more.  I have to redo all this and video tape it as well just to share what I am saying so there is no misunderstanding.

I will do this as soon as I can.  Perhaps this weekend and put it up on YouTube.

Chao

Ratona 
Windows 7 pro
Gigabyte X58 
8 Gigs Ram 
64 bit
Recording w/Sonar 8.53 Producer Edition
Yamaha S90ES
and more... bla bla bla

Phoenix
Re:HP dv7-3080us - a look at one of the better off-the-shelf units 2010/02/01 22:01:20 (permalink)
@ratona--
I use this startup manager: StartEd Lite currently. I used to use CodeStuff Starter, which I liked the interface of better, but it didn't give me control of as many startup items on Win 7 x64 as StartEd does; this may be a 64-bit thing, though.
I am currently looking at the Dell Studio 15 series as well as some of the HPs. My brother has an HP that he bought 2 years ago, though, and he says it now takes about 5 minutes to boot. He reckons that's due to software updates (like Norton and various HP updates); I try to tell him it still shouldn't do that but it doesn't bother him (it would drive me crazy). I do wish he'd let me look at it, though. Unless it's a H/W fault I could fix it for him, and if it is a H/W fault, then it would give me pause before buying an HP myself.

@smoothjeff--how do you tell if a Dell (or other notebook) is using the new Intel Mainboard for the lower latency?
Charlie B
  • Total Posts : 4
Re:HP dv7-3080us - a look at one of the better off-the-shelf units 2010/02/02 18:59:02 (permalink)
  Hi, all.  I do wish I had seen this thread a couple days ago, before I brought home a Dv7-3085DX (same as was tested but no blu-ray).  I have been using a Core 2 Quad touchscreen setup at home with what I'd consider good results and was hoping to duplicate its audio performance (or better) with this i7 machine.  I feel I do need a laptop machine due to health issues.

I did a lot of looking for people on the web with problems with this machine before I chose it, but never heard of DPS latency till now.  Out of the box, under Sonar 8.0, it runs all the examples fine.  But on the desktop I use maybe 4 to 8 softsynths including Reaktor, and a lot of FX including Antares Autotune and Harmony Engine in live improv, and want to hear it all in the monitors of course.  I can deal with "high" (5-10ms) latency settings if necessary and I typically use USB adapters, and never record more than 8 channels at a time, but it sounds like the DPS latency issue will also affect plugin processing, instead of just I/O.  Is this correct?

Since I anticipate real heavy plugin processing loads, and I kinda like to run at 88.2kHz these days (I feel like it's good for cleaner sound after extensive FX math operations), I'm now thinking of taking this machine back.  I see some of the custom shops have entry level 1.6GHz core i7 laptops, should these be able to beat my 2.4GHz Core 2 Quad desktop?

Recommendations, including specific entry level custom i7 models or equivalent appreciated, before I get a wild hair and restore this thing and take it back.  I haven't got it all set up yet but I have another week to decide.  Out of the box, bloatware and all, the Dv7 is running around 250us, about the same as the test model.

I guess my real question is, about how much additional capability will a custom machine get me for my additional ~$500?  Interested in things like latencies and guesstimated numbers of tracks and plugins.  - cmb

Attached Image(s)

Jim Roseberry
Re:HP dv7-3080us - a look at one of the better off-the-shelf units 2010/02/02 19:08:57 (permalink)
Hi Charlie,

FWIW, A 2.4GHz Core2Duo with a good TI chipset FW controller (and DPC latency under control) will actually outperform the laptop you just got.
If there was a way to rein-in the DPC latency... and have a good Firewire controller (the Jmicron is terrible), the HP would smoke the Core2Duo.  But that's not possible...

If you don't mind working at higher latency settings (ASIO buffer sizes of 128-samples or higher), you'll likely do OK with the HP.  (The fact that you want to run at 88.1kHz will make it harder.)

Best Regards,

Jim Roseberry
jim@studiocat.com
www.studiocat.com
smoothjeff
Re:HP dv7-3080us - a look at one of the better off-the-shelf units 2010/02/03 03:01:57 (permalink)
Ok to everyone concerned about which laptop CPU and motherboard, ect... 
What Jim showed is this: It doesn't matter how fast the laptop is. And it doesn't necessarily matter which CPU, motherboard or brand of laptop it is; DPC latency issues are both hardware and software/driver dependent. A number of issues could cause higher idle DPC latency levels so it really comes down to testing the specific model of laptop. I had bought a Dell Studio 1555, and although there were no red spikes on the DPC latency checker (when the wireless adapter was disabled), the higher idle in the green (like the HP Jim showed) was enough to still cause glitches and pops in my audio streams. I had no way of knowing this until after I bought it. So load the DPC checker onto a flash drive and attempt to find a laptop in a store with a low idling latency.. the lower the better (remember to disable the wifi driver in the device manager). Write down the model number and hardware specs then shop around to see if you can find a better price. 

The laptop Jim tested is more powerful than the laptop I bought, but without low latency, it's useless for music. Staples sold out of the color of laptop I bought so the link is dead but this is the same one:
http://www.staples.com/Dell-Insprion-17.3-Laptop-(Black)/product_851067

jcschild
Max Output Level: -41 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3409
Re:HP dv7-3080us - a look at one of the better off-the-shelf units 2010/02/03 11:13:10 (permalink)
AGAIN DPC is only 1 part of the issue.
just becasue you find a laptop with low DPC does NOT mean the Express slot will work for firewire.
all its says is hey this should be fine with a USB interface. and again on that note the USB slots could be (well are sharing) resources and coudl be undervolted.

Scott
ADK

Scott
ADK
Home of the Kentucky Fried DAW!
Charlie B
  • Total Posts : 4
Re:HP dv7-3080us - a look at one of the better off-the-shelf units 2010/02/03 15:22:02 (permalink)
   All good points.  Personally I figure I have one chance to do this right, and I might as well maximize all variables while I have a chance.  I want to know that loading up a buttload of future synths and effects isn't going to cripple my system.  I don't care about firewire now, but might later.  Same with ultra low latencies.

It's pretty clear from what I read that if I can get a well designed i7 system, the i7 processor benefits should show up in the performance.  If not, there's no other reason I'd need one.  So I'm looking at custom setups at this point.  Pointers toward companies with well performing i7 laptops anyone?

Having seen ADKs mentioned positively I checked the website.  I see the base ADK 7600-i7 just barely fits my budget, but couldn't find the 1900 wide display option in the menu! =)
nachivnik
Max Output Level: -78 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 604
Re:HP dv7-3080us - a look at one of the better off-the-shelf units 2010/02/22 11:27:21 (permalink)
Okay guys, thanks a lot. Super informative thread, Jim and Scott. I've been in the market for a laptop, and am trying to decide whether I will use it for music and video as well as for general purposes. I am used to 64 samples running Spectrasonics and NI synths, so this thread provides the information I need.
Phoenix
Re:HP dv7-3080us - a look at one of the better off-the-shelf units 2010/02/22 12:45:09 (permalink)
smoothjeff

...So load the DPC checker onto a flash drive and attempt to find a laptop in a store with a low idling latency.. the lower the better (remember to disable the wifi driver in the device manager). Write down the model number and hardware specs then shop around to see if you can find a better price. 

That's exactly what I've been doing recently, and let me tell you, it was an eye-opener. Obviously, I wasn't going to find laptops with latency as low as custom-made, but I didn't expect as many laptops I tried to spike as badly as they did. The only serious contenders were an HP core i5 and a Sony VAIO core i7, and I'm not too sure about the HP, cos I had to shut down a lot of processes to get it down below 200 and I wouldn't want to have to go through that each time I wanted to record!
Also, of course, there was no way for me to check the points Scott mentioned in his last post. So other nasties could also be lurking.
The VAIO, especially with a 7200 RPM drive, gets into the same range as custom-made, so the only benefit of buying off-the-shelf at that point would be financing.
YMMV, depending on what's available near you to test.

lkingston
  • Total Posts : 77
Re:HP dv7-3080us - a look at one of the better off-the-shelf units 2010/02/25 20:32:13 (permalink)
Haven't posted here in years, but I stumbled upon this message trying to troubleshoot my HP dv7-1023cl (which is an earlier version of the dv7-3080us I suppose).  Like Jim, I was initially very frustrated with the IEEE 1394 support of this computer.  In addition to the problems he mentioned, I also found that I couldn't capture HDV video.  After some time however I did find a solution and that was to uncheck the "show only recommended drivers" tab and try out different drivers.  The one that seems to work for me is the "Sony CXD3222 OHCI i.LINK(IEEE 1394) PCI Host Controller" driver which for some strange reason is one of the Texas Instruments (rather than Sony) options.  Anyway, using this driver seems to work as well as if I actually had the Texas Instruments chip and as far as I can see, actually fixes this game busting problem.  Maybe Jim or someone else could try this driver and see if it works with the dv7-3080us as well.  Hope this helps.

EDIT: Well it was working last night when I posted this.  This morning the firewire port went back to it's old behavior even with the new driver.  I went down the list of drivers and all of them were the same.
post edited by lkingston - 2010/02/26 09:34:25

What kind of leather jacket goes best with a scooter?
a.d.i.d.a.s.
  • Total Posts : 8
Re:HP dv7-3080us - a look at one of the better off-the-shelf units 2010/04/23 00:47:52 (permalink)
Hi,
Just 2 days ago I puchased a HP dv7 3197eo laptop  (It's a european model and seems to be the same as the dv7 3080 except for the Blueray-drive) and after reading this I 'came a little sceptical about the suitability of the laptop for daw-work. I also got a buffalo usb 3.0 express-card and USB 3.0 HDD.
I have to say that I'm positively surprised because even though the dpc-latency is (with no tweeking done) about 150-240 idle I still could load a project containing my bands tracks for our new EP (about 40 tracks of drums, guitars, bass and vocals) with several instances of Izotope alloy, some sonitus-reverb and Izotope ozone 4 on the masterbus with a 3ms latency and 512 palyback-buffer. Almost no pops ( I mean some minor occational pops when scrolling the screen with a mouse). I also loded Dimension pro pianopatch and played it realtime with my novation remote 25 while playing back the project (with out the ozone 4 since it grows latency anyways). And all this was using the inboard soundchip with ASAPI-drivers. I was kind of blown away. The processor load was round about 50% and usb3-drive load about 35%. I have a Fireface UC and plan to use that with the laptop, but since the inboard soundchip works so well I can imagine doing some light composinwork with just it.

:)
post edited by a.d.i.d.a.s. - 2010/04/23 07:26:43

Gotta Think Big To Grow Tall
a.d.i.d.a.s.
  • Total Posts : 8
Re:HP dv7-3080us - a look at one of the better off-the-shelf units 2010/05/04 08:42:34 (permalink)
Hi again!
No I have had the laptop for a while. I've had a very good experience so far.
I can play back 80 tracks of audio (mono 24bit, 48kHz clips) with:
-Izotope ozone on the masterbus with digital eq, retro exciter, 4 band dynamics, stereo imager and laudnes maximizer Intellegent II and dithering on.
-Izotope alloy (4 x stereo and 7 x mono) on tracks.
-Perfect space x 4 with 64ms latency setting

On the laptop I have a buffalo USB 3.0 Express card with 1TB buffalo USB 3.0 Drivestation.
This is where I stream the audio and sample libraries from. I have also USB mouse and I-lok. This test was done using High Performance powerplan, with almos everything turned on. Actually I turned the HPET "driver" (from device-manager). I have wlan and bluetooth and so on turned on. I'm running process lasso-trial program, antivir, open office faststart novation automap.

I can play back using the built in soundcard with WASAPI drivers, 64-bit processing on and I'm using 3ms latency-setting. Processor load is about 72% and driveload  28% with no disk buffering. Some tiny clipping is evident once in a while when I scroll with the mousewheel but it's very light.
The interesting thing is that the DPC latency actually gets smaller when theres more load on the processor. On idle I have 230-330 with some occational spikes going to 450. But when I load this project the Dpc-latency is around 100-155... with most of the time on 120.
This compares nicely to my main daw with I7 720 processor.
Actually I noticed inserting the Perfect space plugin lowers the dpc-latencey.... WEIRD and interesting...

What do you think? please comment. :)

Gotta Think Big To Grow Tall
jcschild
Re:HP dv7-3080us - a look at one of the better off-the-shelf units 2010/05/04 12:04:21 (permalink)
what is your interface?

Scott
ADK
jcschild
Re:HP dv7-3080us - a look at one of the better off-the-shelf units 2010/07/01 18:58:19 (permalink)
bump so i can find this thread easier

Scott
ADK
jamescollins
Max Output Level: -76 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 747
Re:HP dv7-3080us - a look at one of the better off-the-shelf units 2010/07/04 06:42:56 (permalink)
Thanks for this Jim - i wish you wrote this before I bought my DV8! All I wanted is a laptop for location recording, using it essentially as a hard disk recorder - all mixing will be done on my main DAW. That firewire chipset though!!!! My oh my! Am i gonna waste my money if i buy the StarTech EC13942? Will it solve my problem? Please say yes, otherwise this exercise has been a colossal waste of money! It's for a presonus firestudio...

I'll have three fingers of Glenlivet, with a little bit of pepper... and some cheese.

allthekingsmen.band
jamescollinsmusic.com
jcschild
Re:HP dv7-3080us - a look at one of the better off-the-shelf units 2010/07/05 09:03:39 (permalink)
nope wont fix it.

Scott
ADK
jamescollins
Max Output Level: -76 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 747
Re:HP dv7-3080us - a look at one of the better off-the-shelf units 2010/07/05 09:55:57 (permalink)
bugger

I'll have three fingers of Glenlivet, with a little bit of pepper... and some cheese.

allthekingsmen.band
jamescollinsmusic.com
zoop
  • Total Posts : 5
Re:HP dv7-3080us - a look at one of the better off-the-shelf units 2010/07/25 11:44:23 (permalink)
Jim Roseberry

If you run a USB audio interface, don't mind working at 256+ sample ASIO buffer size, and you're working on small projects, you'll be fine.

If you want to work at small ASIO buffer sizes (64-samples)... or you want to work at high res (96k)

Ok, I was pretty dismayed when reading this thread, but then came to this.  256 samples at 96 kHz is 5 ms.  That's the same delay you get standing 5 feet away from a speaker.  That's not good enough for you?  o_O

Jim Roseberry
Re:HP dv7-3080us - a look at one of the better off-the-shelf units 2010/07/25 13:00:58 (permalink)
256 samples at 96 kHz is 5 ms.

You'll find very few laptops that can sustain large 96k projects (glitch-free) at 5ms total round-trip latency   
Working at higher sample-rates is only a solution (to high RTL) if the machine can effectively keep up with the load.

Best Regards,

Jim Roseberry
jim@studiocat.com
www.studiocat.com
The Maillard Reaction
  • Total Posts : 31918
Re:HP dv7-3080us - a look at one of the better off-the-shelf units 2010/07/26 09:12:04 (permalink)
Which means that for most people 256 samples equates to a 10msec experience... plus you might ALSO be sitting 5 feet away from your speakers.

I sit about 10 feet away.

Page: < 12345 > Showing page 4 of 5
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1