HP dv7-3080us - a look at one of the better off-the-shelf units

Page: < 12345 Showing page 5 of 5
Author
tom1
Max Output Level: -79 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 559
Re:HP dv7-3080us - a look at one of the better off-the-shelf units 2010/07/28 18:13:48 (permalink)
hey Jim:

you gave me some good advice a while back about replacing my non TI firewire chipset with a Texas Instrument chipset
and since I have done so ($35 total cost) my computer is running great.

I know it's too late for this laptop test, but what would interest me and I believe a few others, is how a pro DAW builder like yourself, could tweak an off the shelf laptop and see how many tracks you could run effectively. You have shown that a moderately priced laptop is not for a power user, but it would have been interesting to see how many midi/audio tracks you could have run with no problems.
Maybe next time (smile)

Anyway, I appreciate you being apart of this forum.

Sonar Producer X2/ProTools/Cubase/Reaper
Studio Cat 32 Gig Ram
East West:
Hollywood Strings/Brass/Woodwinds/Goliath 
Kontakt Ultimate / FabFilter Bundle / EaReverb / Maag4 / Izotope Ozone 5 / Izotope RX2 / Elastique / Waves  

jcschild
Max Output Level: -41 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3409
Re:HP dv7-3080us - a look at one of the better off-the-shelf units 2010/07/28 19:01:00 (permalink)
while some can be "tweaked" to be sort of ok (might be ok for lite duty and @ 512 buffer)
 most can not
it requires a custom bios. that has to come from the manufacturer and the only reason mine work well.

some of the tweaks are crazy like turning off the video card drivers and using VGA mode (very ugly)
also disabling the DVD-RW (for the off the shelf ones)
and again USB has a far better change of working..

Scott
ADK
Home of the Kentucky Fried DAW!
The Maillard Reaction
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 31918
Re:HP dv7-3080us - a look at one of the better off-the-shelf units 2010/07/28 22:23:52 (permalink)
It's pointless, if you think you have the capability to track at some finite level of performance... you're gonna end up with drop outs and yuck well below that threshold on the day it is most imporatant to you.

On another note, some may have noticed in an other thread that my 6 month old Toshiba i7 laptop... just plain died two days ago... while I'm on the road for 2 weeks... I could fix a desktop but this laptop has left me dead in the water. Luckily for me it's just my communications rig and every thing is backed up. But the fact is a name brand computer that I've cared for well was engineered so poorly that it only lasted 6 months before failure.

My previous laptop went 4-1/2 years.

It's a bad time to depend on a laptop.

My sister-in-law works for IBM... her official supplied laptops last about 3 months before being replaced.

The standard of quality has taken a deep dive.

Bummer.

best regards,
mike

Phoenix
Max Output Level: -56.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1886
Re:HP dv7-3080us - a look at one of the better off-the-shelf units 2010/07/29 17:54:23 (permalink)
jcschild

while some can be "tweaked" to be sort of ok (might be ok for lite duty and @ 512 buffer)
 most can not
it requires a custom bios. that has to come from the manufacturer and the only reason mine work well.

some of the tweaks are crazy like turning off the video card drivers and using VGA mode (very ugly)
And don't forget the real tech support!

The Maillard Reaction
Re:HP dv7-3080us - a look at one of the better off-the-shelf units 2010/07/30 10:24:16 (permalink)
That's a good point.

Both Scott and Jim offered helpful support with regards to that name brand laptop I just mentioned.

They are both very generous to SONAR users.

best regards,
mike

zoop
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5
Re:HP dv7-3080us - a look at one of the better off-the-shelf units, 2010/09/12 20:58:39 (permalink)
pinguinotuerto

I still "question" the validity or relevance of this DPC Latency test on new machines running Windows 7 with a Core i7 processor.  Like I said before, my DPC results hover between 100+ and 400+, spiking at 500+ and I have no dropouts whatsoever.

Is this a quad core processor?  Does that help with the DPC latency issues?  One core is held up by the DPC, but the others are still free to process audio?  Generally what I've read is that a fast dual core is better than a slower quad core for audio.
sandman5000
Max Output Level: -73 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 882
Re:HP dv7-3080us - a look at one of the better off-the-shelf units 2010/09/12 21:41:06 (permalink)
jcschild

most can not

Perhaps with firewire interfaces,  but for USB,  this is plain not true. 
128 buffers with pretty full on duty is very possible with normal tweaks. 
The Maillard Reaction
Re:HP dv7-3080us - a look at one of the better off-the-shelf units 2010/09/13 00:01:54 (permalink)
normal and tweak is an oxymoron...

just saying.

sandman5000
Re:HP dv7-3080us - a look at one of the better off-the-shelf units 2010/09/13 00:20:49 (permalink)
mike_mccue

normal and tweak is an oxymoron...

just saying.

normal as in disabling wifi,  etc.  The usual stuff.  Extreme would be disabling the dvd drive, etc.  capiche?

Jim Roseberry
  • Total Posts : 9871
Re:HP dv7-3080us - a look at one of the better off-the-shelf units, 2010/09/13 01:13:28 (permalink)
Is this a quad core processor? Does that help with the DPC latency issues? One core is held up by the DPC, but the others are still free to process audio? Generally what I've read is that a fast dual core is better than a slower quad core for audio.

Windows is not technically a realtime OS.
(Even though things happen so fast... it can appear to be realtime)
Everything is scheduled via Deferred Proceedure Calls (thus the acronym DPC)
DPC latency is the time between when those scheduled tasks are executed.
The lower the DPC latency, the closer you are to the ideal of a realtime OS/machine.

Note:  The lower you set your ASIO buffer size... the more critical it is to have low/consistent DPC latency.
If you plan to run heavy loads at a 64-sample ASIO buffer size or smaller, low/consistent DPC latency is important.

If a particular driver causes high DPC latency (Poor WiFi drivers are notorious for this)... it can cause a hiccup (gap) in data flow.
If this gap happens... and your audio interface's buffer doesn't get filled in time... you'll hear a glitch (pop/tick) or experience a dropout.  The smaller the ASIO buffer size, the greater the odds of buffer under-runs...

Best Regards,

Jim Roseberry
jim@studiocat.com
www.studiocat.com
sandman5000
Re:HP dv7-3080us - a look at one of the better off-the-shelf units, 2010/09/13 02:10:29 (permalink)
Jim Roseberry

If a particular driver causes high DPC latency (Poor WiFi drivers are notorious for this)... it can cause a hiccup (gap) in data flow.

That is what this fixes:
http://forum.cakewalk.com/tm.aspx?m=2088539

I play e-drums on my usb interface ( and old pcr a30) and a cheap $500 i3 laptop.  My sample buffers are set to 144.  I can get it as low as 96,  but I get the occasional crackle. 
However,  i notice no difference playing drums (where its most noticeable) with either 96 or 144 buffer size.

I would like some sort of test that proves it one way or the other.  Just saying "I can tell a difference with ultra low latency settings"  is like saying "i hear it more full at 96khz".  Some scientific  proof would be nice and far more convincing. 

Im fairly convinced that the vast majority of people, if any,  wont notice the difference.  But Im open to somebody proving otherwise.   But not just with.."well i can tell".
post edited by sandman5000 - 2010/09/13 02:18:21
zoop
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5
Re:HP dv7-3080us - a look at one of the better off-the-shelf units, 2010/09/13 09:33:43 (permalink)
Jim Roseberry
Everything is scheduled via Deferred Proceedure Calls (thus the acronym DPC)
DPC latency is the time between when those scheduled tasks are executed.
The lower the DPC latency, the closer you are to the ideal of a realtime OS/machine.

Yep.

"A device driver cannot process data immediately in its interrupt routine. It has to schedule a Deferred Procedure Call (DPC) which basically is a callback routine that will be called by the operating system as soon as possible. ... There is one DPC queue per CPU available in the system. ... If any DPC runs for an excessive amount of time then other DPCs will be delayed by that amount of time. ... Unfortunately, many existing device drivers do not conform to this advice. Such drivers spend an excessive amount of time in their DPC routines, causing an exceptional large latency for any other driver's DPCs. For a device driver that handles data streams in real-time it is crucial that a DPC scheduled from its interrupt routine is executed before the hardware issues the next interrupt. If the DPC is delayed and runs after the next interrupt occurred, typically a hardware buffer overrun occurs and the flow of data is interrupted. A drop-out occurs."

So I'm asking if a processor with more cores would have fewer problems with DPCs, since other cores could theoretically handle the audio DPCs while one is locked up by a rude Wi-Fi DPC routine.  Is the queue shared between cores, and DPCs can be shuffled around to whichever one is free?  Or is there one queue per core, allowing for a core to be hijacked?  What about virtual cores?

Found something:

http://stackoverflow.com/...pc-latency-testing-how

"A DPC is queued into the global DPC queue, and can be run on any processor. So if you really have a long (-running) DPC on one core, the other core is free to process another. So any timing information is really dependent on the count of processors you have and how many things get currently executed concurrently. So on multicore processors these numbers might vary widely."
post edited by zoop - 2010/09/13 09:43:40
The Maillard Reaction
Re:HP dv7-3080us - a look at one of the better off-the-shelf units, 2010/09/13 17:03:50 (permalink)
Here's something to consider.... when you are hearing crackles at 96 samples you can expect to find all sorts of difficult to hear errors in audio recordings made during that pass.

You can easily search out and locate these sorts of errors with a app like Wavelab. But it might bum you out to do so.

The kind of folks that hear those tiny errors are the same folks who hear the difference between a 96 sample delay and a 144 sample delay.

Sensitivity to delay is a human thing... you have to work with each musician at their threshold.

Locating errors with an app that features error search functions is more scientific than asking humans what they feel... and if one checks for them when working under different circumstances, one may better understand what their system is truly capable of.

best regards,
mike

sandman5000
Re:HP dv7-3080us - a look at one of the better off-the-shelf units, 2010/09/13 18:12:05 (permalink)
mike_mccue

Here's something to consider.... when you are hearing crackles at 96 samples you can expect to find all sorts of difficult to hear errors in audio recordings made during that pass.

You can easily search out and locate these sorts of errors with a app like Wavelab. But it might bum you out to do so.

The kind of folks that hear those tiny errors are the same folks who hear the difference between a 96 sample delay and a 144 sample delay.

Sensitivity to delay is a human thing... you have to work with each musician at their threshold.

Locating errors with an app that features error search functions is more scientific than asking humans what they feel... and if one checks for them when working under different circumstances, one may better understand what their system is truly capable of.

best regards,
mike

Sounds logical.   And a good way to measure it.

I will say this,  I am extremely sensitive to little time differences.  I grew up on drum machines and click tracks.  So I notice right away. 
I also trust my ears.  When I mix down,  I listen very carefully to the mix-down before I send it out.  Several times to be absolutely sure there are no artifacts. 

So that brings me back to what im sort of saying..if you can't hear it or feel it, does it matter?

The Maillard Reaction
Re:HP dv7-3080us - a look at one of the better off-the-shelf units, 2010/09/13 21:01:54 (permalink)

"So that brings me back to what im sort of saying..if you can't hear it or feel it, does it matter?"

I think the question/answer becomes more complicated when your guests make the claim that they can hear it... and (I'm speaking only for myself) you know your guests have better musical training, performance experience, and perhaps ears than you do.

best regards,
mike

sandman5000
Re:HP dv7-3080us - a look at one of the better off-the-shelf units, 2010/09/13 22:01:36 (permalink)
mike_mccue

"So that brings me back to what im sort of saying..if you can't hear it or feel it, does it matter?"

I think the question/answer becomes more complicated when your guests make the claim that they can hear it... and (I'm speaking only for myself) you know your guests have better musical training, performance experience, and perhaps ears than you do.

best regards,
mike
well in my case,  I am the one being trusted.  I've had a lot of releases and done a lot of recordings for bands.  I don't do the mastering,  so that gets sent off.  no mastering engineer or anybody else has ever said anything.

The Maillard Reaction
Re:HP dv7-3080us - a look at one of the better off-the-shelf units, 2010/09/13 22:09:24 (permalink)
on yer contemporary laptop?

sandman5000
Re:HP dv7-3080us - a look at one of the better off-the-shelf units, 2010/09/14 00:11:22 (permalink)
mike_mccue

on yer contemporary laptop?

Yes.  I've sent several from my laptop already.   But I've done it in all types of computers. Computers are just generic parts. I dont hold any particular reverence towards them.  I love what you can do with them,  but its just generic parts.
Zo
Max Output Level: -25 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5036
Re:HP dv7-3080us - a look at one of the better off-the-shelf units, 2010/09/14 22:15:34 (permalink)
Hi Jim and Scott

Can just answered those two questions : can you provide on your websites dpc latency and some bench of your systems (wprimes ...)

Also tell me why you're testing otha brands :
to sell them ?
to buy similar barebones?
just to know ?

for those who want to know , after doing excatly the same as Jim and Scott before buying a laptop after heavy testing my upgrade option are :
hp elitebook (dpc latency under 100us)
dell precision 4500
mbp 17 "
again if Jim or scott were in europe , i will be one of their costumer , but as i travel a lot i really need that international quick waranty...(witch apple doesn't provide).

For sale  (PM me) : transfert ilok included
Eventide Ultrachannel make offers
Softube Summit EQ
IK Neve 1081 , Neve precision Comp/Lim
EastWest Goshtwriter
Soundforge Pro 12

Zo
Max Output Level: -25 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5036
Re:HP dv7-3080us - a look at one of the better off-the-shelf units, 2010/09/14 22:17:54 (permalink)
oh yeah my msi is way under 500us under vista while under 40us in xp !! it's all about os drivers integration !!

so os is still an issue !!

For sale  (PM me) : transfert ilok included
Eventide Ultrachannel make offers
Softube Summit EQ
IK Neve 1081 , Neve precision Comp/Lim
EastWest Goshtwriter
Soundforge Pro 12

sandman5000
Re:HP dv7-3080us - a look at one of the better off-the-shelf units, 2010/09/16 13:18:14 (permalink)
Zo

Hi Jim and Scott

Can just answered those two questions : can you provide on your websites dpc latency and some bench of your systems (wprimes ...)

Also tell me why you're testing otha brands :
to sell them ?
to buy similar barebones?
just to know ?

for those who want to know , after doing excatly the same as Jim and Scott before buying a laptop after heavy testing my upgrade option are :
hp elitebook (dpc latency under 100us)
dell precision 4500
mbp 17 "
again if Jim or scott were in europe , i will be one of their costumer , but as i travel a lot i really need that international quick waranty...(witch apple doesn't provide).

it was to "show why it's not a particularly good DAW." as per the second sentence at the start of the thread. Which is really a bunch of malarkey.

DPc latency doesn't necessary  translate to glitches in recordings or playback.  What tweaks excactly where performed?  Was a good  USB interface tested?  What is acceptable 'low latency" to play live? By who's standards?  Do you need 'ultra low latency' to mix audio or midi tracks after they have been recorded? And lots more questions.  very one sided "proof".
The Maillard Reaction
Re:HP dv7-3080us - a look at one of the better off-the-shelf units, 2010/09/16 19:38:12 (permalink)
I doubt Jim will respond to your insult so I will remind you that Jim was testing that particular computer because he himself wants to purchase a new laptop that he can use as his own personal portable DAW.

Some of us feel that we are in a similar situation... It just seems like there are no good laptops to buy.

regards,
mike

sandman5000
Re:HP dv7-3080us - a look at one of the better off-the-shelf units, 2010/09/16 21:41:30 (permalink)
mike_mccue

I doubt Jim will respond to your insult so I will remind you that Jim was testing that particular computer because he himself wants to purchase a new laptop that he can use as his own personal portable DAW.

Some of us feel that we are in a similar situation... It just seems like there are no good laptops to buy.

regards,
mike

No good laptops according to whos standards?  I love my Acer i3 laptop.  I can get a bunch of work done on it.  Run a bunch of synths and fx.  Play live in real time with it.  Record with it..play e-drums through it..battery lasts under 4 hours...its awesome.  And for $500 its really awesome.  Not at 64 sample buffers.  But so what? Thats not the end all be all.  Thats my point.  There are plenty of awesome laptops that would make great daws.  Who cares if the DPC isnt 10. Or if it crackles at 64 buffers. Run it at 128.     it makes no difference in the real world.  It makes no difference when mixing. There is plenty you can do musically.   The only thing being insulted is people's intelligence.  So i speak up and tell the truth.  I have no  company to promote and no other interest.
Owen
Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 136
Re:HP dv7-3080us - a look at one of the better off-the-shelf units 2011/03/29 22:00:40 (permalink)
smoothjeff

FOUND LAPTOP WITH ACCEPTABLE LATENCY!

I have been reading this thread for a few days while deciding on a laptop to buy and just registered on here to make this post and save some people time. I had a Dell Studio 1535 (look it up it's the most uncurable DPC latency disaster ever), I sold that and bought a Studio 1555 because I read on a forum a guy had no DPC spikes, however the idle DPC was still ranging 150-500us so I was having audio problems. I saw an even faster HP than my Dell for $700 on eBay but went to Costco and it's DPC was ranging from 290-500us. I was about to give up then I saw a review for the Dell Studio 1558 and the reviewer showed a DPC latency test which was fairly decent (compared to other off the shelf laptops) http://www.notebookcheck.net/Review-Dell-Studio-1558-Notebook.24496.0.html
If you look at his link for the Dell 1557 review you can see that one had the same crap DPC levels, but the 1558 was acceptable so I looked specifically to try another Dell with the new Intel mainboard and i5 cpu. Heres the link for the laptop I bought (it's on sale until January 30th for $649)
http://www.staples.com/Dell-Insprion-17.3-Laptop-(Blue)/product_851069

I didn't like that it didn't have a graphics adapter with dedicated memory, plus I'm going to have to upgrade the 5,400rpm hard drive for something faster, but this is the first time I've been able to use Guitar Rig at low latency without any problems. The latencies range around 60-140us on average, but this is with wifi on and straight out of the box with all of Dell's bs on it. I'm hoping I can get it consistently lower with a fresh install of Windows and some tweaking if anyone has any good suggestions to save me time?

It's not as low as the computer in Jim's video, and probably won't handle as much as a good desktop but for $649 I'm glad I can get something out of this. And considering I took my flash drive with the DPC latency checker and copied it onto every semi-powerful laptop in Best Buy and Staples, and the one I bought was the ONLY one with consistent latency under 130us, I didn't have much of an option. I took videos of several laptops with the DPC latency checker (with wifi turned off) but here's the one I bought (I used the camera on my new phone so it's really hard to see but it's ranging from 60-100us in the video)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jCqJ0JhuFto

Again, I've already put too much time into finding a laptop vs. actually playing/recording the music it's intended for, so if anyone has any tweaks to try out to get the DPC latency lower, that would be appreciated

Does anyone know which Dell laptop smoothjeff bought? Both links are dead.
A 17" screen would be good and he seemed to find a decent DPC latency
Page: < 12345 Showing page 5 of 5
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1