Helpful ReplyLong Running MIDI Input Issues With Sonar

Page: < 1234 Showing page 4 of 4
Author
Anderton
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 14070
Re: Long Running MIDI Input Issues With Sonar 2017/10/27 02:41:52 (permalink)
AdamGrossmanLG
AndertonIt's like the people who have a problem and so they re-install Windows and re-install SONAR...then find out updating their audio interface driver was the correct solution.

this cant be an audio interface problem, I am not using the MIDI on my audio interface, plus I've had this with 3 different audio interfaces now.  Scarlett, Audient and Behringer.

And while we're at it...I didn't say it was an audio interface problem. I drew an analogy - that's what "it's like" means.

The first 3 books in "The Musician's Guide to Home Recording" series are available from Hal Leonard and http://www.reverb.com. Listen to my music on http://www.YouTube.com/thecraiganderton, and visit http://www.craiganderton.com. Thanks!
Max Output Level: -76 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 729
Re: Long Running MIDI Input Issues With Sonar 2017/10/27 03:21:37 (permalink)
test

Dang forum gremlins

post edited by Matron Landslide - 2017/10/27 04:03:52

Intel i7 4790 @3.6Ghz - 32GB Ram - Windows 10 Pro 64bit - RME Fireface UFX+
Studio One 4 Professional, REAPER, CbB-(Couldnb't be Bothered)
More Plugs than Plumbers Warehouse.

Happy Studio One User Since August 2015

"It's the entertainment value, the comic relief . . . plus the Software and Deals Forum"

Max Output Level: -76 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 729
Re: Long Running MIDI Input Issues With Sonar 2017/10/27 04:03:20 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby FettsVett 2017/11/22 23:27:37
Anderton
AdamGrossmanLG
Also I did not delete the file as Anderton assured me its not a Sonar issue.

That's not true, and if you can't read what I wrote correctly, it begs the question of whether you can read the solutions that others have offered correctly. For the record, I said:

"Well of course it very well could be [a bug], and it's even likely. But whether it's a bug in SONAR, Windows, the controller, USB handling, hardware, or the user's understanding of how all these work together is the question."

And:

"And if it's only happening for you, wouldn't it be logical to say it's MOST LIKELY something specific to your system or installation?"

And:

"You want to believe it's something with SONAR. Fine, maybe it is and I realize that's your go-to."

Facts are facts. Good luck.

Actually it is kinda true, and you kinda did, at least you certainly left him with the impression that it wasn't SONAR, it was probably this from page 1, among other things

Anderton
AdamGrossmanLG
probably just poor coding as usual with Cakewalk.

Actually it's almost certain that it isn't, given that no one else is chiming in to say they've experienced this problem.

And that quote that you used to try and show you didn't say it

"Well of course it very well could be [a bug], and it's even likely. But whether it's a bug in SONAR, Windows, the controller, USB handling, hardware, or the user's understanding of how all these work together is the question."

well, it actually came from a reply to me, which was well after the event in discussion where you at the very least certainly gave the OP the impression that it wasn't SONAR. tisk tisk

Facts are facts
Good Luck

Intel i7 4790 @3.6Ghz - 32GB Ram - Windows 10 Pro 64bit - RME Fireface UFX+
Studio One 4 Professional, REAPER, CbB-(Couldnb't be Bothered)
More Plugs than Plumbers Warehouse.

Happy Studio One User Since August 2015

"It's the entertainment value, the comic relief . . . plus the Software and Deals Forum"

pwalpwal
Max Output Level: -43 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3249
Re: Long Running MIDI Input Issues With Sonar 2017/10/27 09:30:10 (permalink)
tried putting a virtual midi cable between it and sonar?

just a sec

AdamGrossmanLG
Max Output Level: -62 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1436
Re: Long Running MIDI Input Issues With Sonar 2017/10/27 14:46:13 (permalink)
pwalpwal

nope.  don't know what that is and why should it be needed?   Sonar should be able to recieve the midi data without it, just like every other application on my PC.
AdamGrossmanLG
Re: Long Running MIDI Input Issues With Sonar 2017/10/27 14:52:08 (permalink)
Anderton
AdamGrossmanLG

That's not true, and if you can't read what I wrote correctly, it begs the question of whether you can read the solutions that others have offered correctly. For the record, I said:

And:

"And if it's only happening for you, wouldn't it be logical to say it's MOST LIKELY something specific to your system or installation?"

And:

"You want to believe it's something with SONAR. Fine, maybe it is and I realize that's your go-to."

Well you have suggested many times it is a user issue or other environmental issue..  I also opened up that file to check what is inside it.... not much really?  Seems like it will just re-create the input and output entries.  Maybe I will have to re-do my control surface?

Either way, I didn't do it because I didn't understand the point?  Is this how I am supposed to work with the product, always having to delete this file?   

Oh and I don't WANT to believe anything, and have no care in the world who's "Fault" it is.  Software is complex, especially Sonar.  Of course there is always going to be something that needs some fixing, and I understand that.  Originally when I came here to this forum, I thought I would just point it out to hopefully bring awareness and maybe it can get resolved in a future release.   I always am friendly to start, no reason not to be.  I just found it a little frustrating (as you may remember from some other posts), where I am running into people claiming I have a poor attitude or who don't like I am criticizing the product.   I feel everyone took what I was saying too personally to be honest.

Anyway, lets just hope we can finally figure this out. I will report back here.  I haven't used the DAW the last 3 days, next week I will and will report back here.
abacab
Max Output Level: -30.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4464
Re: Long Running MIDI Input Issues With Sonar 2017/10/27 15:49:08 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby pwalpwal 2017/10/27 16:38:30
AdamGrossmanLG
pwalpwal

nope.  don't know what that is and why should it be needed?   Sonar should be able to recieve the midi data without it, just like every other application on my PC.

This was just a suggestion to test an alternate connection as a means of ruling something out.  Not a suggestion that you permanently need to change it, or that you have done something wrong.

There have been many good suggestions made in good faith as responses to your plea for help.  Don't understand your resistance to trying each suggestion, and then responding with the result. 

You may not always know why the question was asked, but there are many cumulative years of experience here for the taking, and the post would get clogged up with details if every little thing was explained.

DAW: CbB; Sonar Platinum, and others ... 
abacab
Re: Long Running MIDI Input Issues With Sonar 2017/10/27 16:12:12 (permalink)
Anderton

provide a recipe to reproduce

That's everything in a nutshell right there!  The secret sauce for success! 

ampfixer
Max Output Level: -20 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5508
Re: Long Running MIDI Input Issues With Sonar 2017/10/27 16:17:16 (permalink)
You've got to love complex software. Millions of bits and just 1 flipped the wrong way can take you down.

Regards, John 
 I want to make it clear that I am an Eedjit. I have no direct, or indirect, knowledge of business, the music industry, forum threads or the meaning of life. I know about amps.
WIN 10 Pro X64, I7-3770k 16 gigs, ASUS Z77 pro, AMD 7950 3 gig,  Steinberg UR44, A-Pro 500, Sonar Platinum, KRK Rokit 6 
Anderton
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 14070
Re: Long Running MIDI Input Issues With Sonar 2017/10/27 16:30:11 (permalink)
It did occur to me that one area where SONAR may be different from other DAWs is in sending the local control off MIDI message to prevent note doubling with controllers that have synth engines. 

The first 3 books in "The Musician's Guide to Home Recording" series are available from Hal Leonard and http://www.reverb.com. Listen to my music on http://www.YouTube.com/thecraiganderton, and visit http://www.craiganderton.com. Thanks!
pwalpwal
Re: Long Running MIDI Input Issues With Sonar 2017/10/27 16:38:41 (permalink)
abacab
AdamGrossmanLG
pwalpwal

This was just a suggestion to test an alternate connection as a means of ruling something out.  Not a suggestion that you permanently need to change it, or that you have done something wrong.

There have been many good suggestions made in good faith as responses to your plea for help.  Don't understand your resistance to trying each suggestion, and then responding with the result. 

You may not always know why the question was asked, but there are many cumulative years of experience here for the taking, and the post would get clogged up with details if every little thing was explained.

http://www.nerds.de/en/loopbe1.html

just a sec

Base 57
Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 249
Re: Long Running MIDI Input Issues With Sonar 2017/10/27 17:18:12 (permalink)
Delete the file already. If that doesn't work then there would be no reason to delete it again. If it does work there would be no reason to delete it again (at least until you make another hardware change). 

Testing this will take less time than it has taken me to write this post (I admit I am a slow writer).

Whatever, I wish you luck. 
AdamGrossmanLG
Re: Long Running MIDI Input Issues With Sonar 2017/10/27 17:33:29 (permalink)
OK i understand troubleshooting to find the issue, not as a permanent fix.  I will delete the file next if the new power settings do not work.  I will report back here. Thank You!
abacab
Re: Long Running MIDI Input Issues With Sonar 2017/10/27 18:50:46 (permalink)
pwalpwal

AdamGrossmanLG
pwalpwal

I think that to try this test you will need to place something in front of Sonar, such as MIDI-OX to do the port mapping from your controller as input, to "Internal MIDI" via LOOPBE.  Setup in MIDI-OX "Options > MIDI Devices".  From there you can easily setup the input to output port mapping.
http://www.midiox.com/index.htm

Then in Sonar, you would setup your MIDI devices by unselecting your controller, and selecting "Internal MIDI" (LoopBE) as your MIDI input.  This way Sonar is only interacting directly with the LoopBE MIDI driver.  Process of elimination! 

I tested this setup and it works.  You can also open up the MIDI monitor in MIDI-OX, which gives you a break-out box of the MIDI messages in real-time.

The MIDI flows like this: 
MIDI controller >> MIDI-OX >> LoopBE >> Sonar

Press a key on the controller, and Sonar will see it.

Joe_A
Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 458
Re: Long Running MIDI Input Issues With Sonar 2017/10/27 20:20:16 (permalink)
pwalpwal
AndertonIt's like the people who have a problem and so they re-install Windows and re-install SONAR...then find out updating their audio interface driver was the correct solution.

re-installing sonar or windows to fix a problem is recommended far too often around these parts

I have to agree with that...

jambrose@cfl.rr.com  Sonar Plat. Lifetime. Started in Sonar 4, each through 8.5.3PE.
Scarlett 18i202nd gen., Edirol FA-101, M-Audio Firewire 410, AMD Phenom II 1045T six core processor, 8GB DDR3, AMD Radeon HD 6450, dual displays, 1.5 TB SATA HD, USB 2, Firewire 1394A, 1394B, 18/22 mixer, EV Q-66, Yamaha HS50M monitors, few guitars, Fender Cybertwin SE, Fender Cyber foot controller, Boss RC20-XL, misc pedals, etc. Win Home Prem 64 bit.
Joe_A
Re: Long Running MIDI Input Issues With Sonar 2017/10/27 20:27:55 (permalink)
Matron Landslide
Anderton
AdamGrossmanLG

And:

And:

Actually it is kinda true, and you kinda did, at least you certainly left him with the impression that it wasn't SONAR, it was probably this from page 1, among other things

Anderton
AdamGrossmanLG
probably just poor coding as usual with Cakewalk.

Actually it's almost certain that it isn't, given that no one else is chiming in to say they've experienced this problem.

And that quote that you used to try and show you didn't say it

well, it actually came from a reply to me, which was well after the event in discussion where you at the very least certainly gave the OP the impression that it wasn't SONAR. tisk tisk

Facts are facts
Good Luck

When I read Anderson's post my thought was he's saying it may be a bug and it may be in any of the puzzle parts (multiple software packages or system software, drivers, etc) and that to not get locked in on one item (In this case Sonar) or it will be that much harder to find.....and branch out....don't just say or assume it's Sonar. He was pretty clear.

jambrose@cfl.rr.com  Sonar Plat. Lifetime. Started in Sonar 4, each through 8.5.3PE.
Scarlett 18i202nd gen., Edirol FA-101, M-Audio Firewire 410, AMD Phenom II 1045T six core processor, 8GB DDR3, AMD Radeon HD 6450, dual displays, 1.5 TB SATA HD, USB 2, Firewire 1394A, 1394B, 18/22 mixer, EV Q-66, Yamaha HS50M monitors, few guitars, Fender Cybertwin SE, Fender Cyber foot controller, Boss RC20-XL, misc pedals, etc. Win Home Prem 64 bit.
Joe_A
Re: Long Running MIDI Input Issues With Sonar 2017/10/27 20:35:53 (permalink)
Adam,

Do you have a second computer to install Sonar On? You can use desktop and laptop. To also use diff mfgrs cables all around, USB out.

I'd be interested to see if the trouble follows. 😉

tlw
Max Output Level: -49.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2567
Re: Long Running MIDI Input Issues With Sonar 2017/10/27 22:12:35 (permalink)
Personally, when I run into hardware to DAW MIDI oddness one of the first things I do is use a MIDI monitoring application to find out exactly what a device is sending and what’s been sent to it.

In the case of a Sonar setup, that means running MidiOX. The input and output slots in a MIDI track get pointed at that, then connect MidiOX to the hardware device’s ports and start pressing keys and buttons and turning knobs to see what’s being sent where, check the channels being used are what I think they are etc.

It might be worth trying if it hasn’t already been done. Just to check that everything is configured as it’s supposed to be.

One of the things about audio applications is that no two of them have identical preferences dialogues, and sometimes one application might make assumptions which “just work” while another needs more detailed configuration.

As well as the “main” MPK ports there are a bunch of “extra” ins and outs showing in the Sonar preferences screenshot. It might be useful to check on what they do. Also MIDI clock settings if on-board sequencers or arps are involved. Some stuff simply refuses to work unless sent clock even if the functions which use it aren’t being used.

I don’t know the MPK225, and the manual isn’t very illuminating. I do know that over the years I’ve connected a pretty wide range of MIDI hardware to Sonar, including multiple controllers or MIDI-sending hardware at the same time, and never run into a problem like this that didn’t come down to something somewhere needing a setting changing. The trick is to find out which setting in what stage of the MIDI chain from controller via Windows to DAW is the culprit.

Sonar Platinum 64bit, Windows 8.1 Pro 64bit, I7 3770K Ivybridge, 16GB Ram, Gigabyte Z77-D3H m/board,
ATI 7750 graphics+ 1GB RAM, 2xIntel 520 series 220GB SSDs, 1 TB Samsung F3 + 1 TB WD HDDs, Seasonic fanless 460W psu, RME Fireface UFX, Focusrite Octopre.
Assorted real synths, guitars, mandolins, diatonic accordions, percussion, fx and other stuff.
pwalpwal
Re: Long Running MIDI Input Issues With Sonar 2017/10/28 07:33:19 (permalink)
are you using chrome browser? it can grab your midi devices, see here http://forum.cakewalk.com/FindPost/3675845

just a sec

DrLumen
Max Output Level: -78 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 621
Re: Long Running MIDI Input Issues With Sonar 2017/11/13 16:29:40 (permalink)
So, this long running issue has been resolved?

-When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro.

Sonar Platinum / Intel i7-4790K / AsRock Z97 / 32GB RAM / Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB / Behringer FCA610 / M-Audio Sport 2x4 / Win7 x64 Pro / WDC Black HDD's / EVO 850 SSD's / Alesis Q88 / Boss DS-330 / Korg nanoKontrol / Novation Launch Control / 14.5" Lava Lamp
AdamGrossmanLG
Re: Long Running MIDI Input Issues With Sonar 2017/11/13 16:33:07 (permalink)
No, I have been away on medical leave.   I will be back at this soon to report here.  I wouldn't leave with a solution without letting everyone know.
AdamGrossmanLG
Re: Long Running MIDI Input Issues With Sonar 2017/11/22 12:18:19 (permalink)
welp, I guess this will never be resolved.

Onwards and upwards... 
Page: < 1234 Showing page 4 of 4
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1