LockedMade Sonar X1 video on Youtube

Page: 12345.. > >> Showing page 1 of 7
Author
Crush
Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 138
2011/01/21 21:31:54 (permalink)

Made Sonar X1 video on Youtube

Pretty much a 2 part video showing how to make a full track and use the software. Geared towards ex FL users or newbs to a Sonar style DAW.

This is geared towards the electronic producer looking for the fastest, easiest way to make something in Sonar.

Some approval would be nice as I'm no expert myself. This is just the best way I've figured out how to use the software..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HhkpYRQjqzE

201 Replies Related Threads

HumbleNoise
    Max Output Level: -46 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2946
    Re:Made Sonar X1 video on Youtube 2011/01/21 23:55:09 (permalink)
    Crush,

I watched the video and really...not...sure...how...to...respond to this thread. Is it a trap? Are you just trolling? You seem to be baiting the reader with legitimate questions but really end up laughing your way through your inability to use Sonar but blaming the program?

I remember a thread you started but you seem to have ignored all the advice within it and ventured into Sonar knowing absolutely nothing about the program and using a technique that was agreed upon within that thread as the wrong way to go about what you attempted. And knowing nothing about and misusing all the tools at your disposal. So you must have an agenda? Which is? Maybe you should state it clearly in your post? Really confused.

And the people who tried to help you? Again really confused but will think twice about helping you again unless I'm missing something.

Humbly Yours

Larry

Sonar X2 x64
    MAudio 2496
    Yamaha MG 12/4
    Roland XV-88
    Intel MB with Q6600 and 4 GB Ram
    NVidia 9800 GTX
    Windows 7 x64 Home Premium
    Fog
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 12302
    Re:Made Sonar X1 video on Youtube 2011/01/22 06:43:46 (permalink)
    crush is it april yet ? sure seems that way ..

if you saying you can't make electronic music using sonar.. says far more about you.. why put FL studio before it?

don't know of RXP ? and loop choppage ? .. dunno of the 808 / 909 kits in sonar / don't know of zeta ? thats just the tip of the iceberg

and no it's not "full cycle" whatever.. thats kinda insulting.. it's a seminal dnb label... WHY are you using dnb samples at 140? don't you know nothing of the genre? it rolls at 160 to 180 roughly

it is funny due to the name you chose as there is DJ krust from FC

go away , work with it for 2 months , school up.  drag and drop isn't DnB!! you need to sculpt it like any other music.. your also doing the tracks in the wrong order? drums are the first thing you put down OR a melody etc...

no one to show you how to use Step sequencer etc? what's Seth's drum master-class for ?

post a video that's after you have some knowledge.. that thing just  seems like mis-information if anything

go look at the groove3 videos , if you haven't already signed up.

post edited by Fog - 2011/01/22 07:01:57
    FastBikerBoy
    Forum Host
    • Total Posts : 11326
    Re:Made Sonar X1 video on Youtube 2011/01/22 07:46:29 (permalink)
    I think the saying, "if you don't know what you're talking about don't talk" is rather apt here..

I have no interest in that genre of music but that is definitely not the way I would go about it if I were. There are several users on here who'll help you out if you ask.....

First thing I'd look up if I were you is "Step Sequencer". Seems strange to me that you start out in FL using what looks like a step sequencer and then try and achieve something similar in Sonar without it.

I'm sure others will have their view...
    listen
    Max Output Level: -79 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 593
    Re:Made Sonar X1 video on Youtube 2011/01/22 07:49:19 (permalink)
    I'm agreeing with Humblenoise and Fog - what's your point if SONAR is not suited for you - there are way to many other options to utilize rather than frustrate yourself

Use what your familiar with and make it work - I could give you lessons to improve your work flow in Sonar, not necessarily your creative flow, but it would probably get rather expensive...
    ProjectM
    Max Output Level: -36 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3941
    Re:Made Sonar X1 video on Youtube 2011/01/22 07:55:05 (permalink)
    You have an interesting positive attitude to using Sonar here even though you seem to struggle with it at times. But, I'm sorry to say it, it looks like you should spend some more time with it before you start posting educational videos. There are so many easier ways to do what you did here, even from a FL studio point of view. Check out the other videos from Cakewalk, the Groove3 videos and read the forums and you should be up and running like a pro in no time;)

Kudos for your voice over voice, tho. It's pretty good;)

(Sonar Platinum - Win10 x64) - iMac and 13" MacBook - Logic Pro X ++ - UA Apollo Twin DUO - NI Maschine MKII - NI Komplete Kontrol S61 - Novation Nocturne - KRK Rokit 6
    Soundcloud
    Negative Vibe Records
    Fog
    Re:Made Sonar X1 video on Youtube 2011/01/22 08:01:58 (permalink)
    "listen" , what I was saying it to learn up sonar.. all this stuff has a steep learning curve.. and well yes it's easier if your from another DAW background .. but even so , I will say I'm always learning and want to learn.

It's more a case of sticking with it and going thru all the various tools and knowing what each one does. although I will admit to using kontakt.. but well I don't expect cakewalk to include one that capable.. but you can still do some good  enough things with the tools they include

Crush
    Re:Made Sonar X1 video on Youtube 2011/01/22 08:23:30 (permalink)
    There are so many easier ways to do what you did here

Like what?

I dragged in that loop just to demonstrate looping (the yellow line at the top). In reality, a real producer making modern hip hop and electronic (key word being modern), would never use loops or wouldn't care to chop them.

Some of the responders want to create 30 part video series which goal is to brag about how overly complicated Sonar X1 is. In the real world people want EASY and don't want the software to get in the way. I believe I demonstrated how to get sonar to do this.

I read over all the responses and they are more or less just hating with no real substance involved.

I believed I showed the fastest, most reliable way to make electronic music on Sonar X1 and am proud of my video and research into doing this. The guy was right, the drop zone was indeed the tool required to drop the wavs into. Other methods are overly time consuming and complex.

No one has proved me otherwise and getting messed up with the drum master video series (which is laughably over complex) is certainly not the 'way you do it' when you can't even pre-sample your library of drum kits! lol! It almost becomes useless because of that. My method allows you to pre-sample.

But again, if anyone here ACTUALLY PRODUCED electronic music they would know this is a requirement so the 7 part drum series is a moot issue. (that series which is awful btw.. I mean at the very end the drums sound worse than they did before he passed all the eq on them. He took great natural drum sounds and then killed them in the final product). Ask anyone and they would choose the drop zone method for drums. The only thing I didn't cover that I should have was quantize.

Also you guys would be amazed at the Sonar X1 bugs I had to cut out of the video. It was unbelievable. I think there was like 6-10 of them no joking. I had to cut out all my rants.

Anyhow after reading the responses which are basically just hating without basis, I have to stand by the video as it's clear most here (including Cakewalk) aren't in touch with what the modern electronic producer needs. FL studio is a toy that doesn't have a working 'undo' so there are many of us frustrated with FL and looking to move. Most find other DAW's too daunting to tackle. The real problem is people using other DAW's are not making electronic music. Took me long to figure that out but that explains it.
    codamedia
    Max Output Level: -67 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1185
    Re:Made Sonar X1 video on Youtube 2011/01/22 08:39:12 (permalink)
    Crush

There are so many easier ways to do what you did here

Like what?

Step Sequencer! By leaving that out of the comparison, you made it seem like it wasn't possible in Sonar. Use the right tools, and it should be easier. In FL you were creating a pattern using sampled sounds, and in Sonar you used pre-made loops. If you are going to compare - use tools that are meant to do the same thing.  
    Edit: reworded for clarity.
    post edited by codamedia - 2011/01/22 08:51:22

Don't fix it in the mix ... Fix it in the take! 

Desktop: Win 7 Pro 64 Bit , ASUS MB w/Intel Chipset, INTEL Q9300 Quad Core, 2.5 GHz, 8 GB RAM, ATI 5450 Video
    Laptop: Windows 7 Pro, i5, 8 Gig Ram
    Hardware: Presonus FP10 (Firepod), FaderPort, M-Audio Axiom 49, Mackie 1202 VLZ, POD X3 Live, Variax 600, etc... etc...
    pwal
    • Total Posts : 2909
    Re:Made Sonar X1 video on Youtube 2011/01/22 08:42:29 (permalink)
    i stopped reading after you said hiphop doesn't use loops? that's the whole basis surely?

list of stuff
    djjhart@aol.com
    Max Output Level: -53.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2189
    Re:Made Sonar X1 video on Youtube 2011/01/22 09:18:36 (permalink)
    pwal

i stopped reading after you said hiphop doesn't use loops? that's the whole basis surely?

i stopped reading after you said hiphop doesn't use loops? that's the whole basis surely

I laugh when ever I hear , I dont use loops , I create my own. If thats the case erase all those sample sounds in FL and in sonar. There made by someone else. Unless your going outside with a mic and your recording your own sounds then your borrowing someone else's work. All patches/ sample's ect are made by someone else.
     To the Op your workflow in X1 needs some refining , You should first make a template, with either SD3 and step or what ever you wannna use , you can even re-wire FL into sonar, via a template . Also Check out what Seth has done with Sd3 and the step it will open your eyes wider to SD3 and the step sequencer.
     As I always say it dosn't matter how you make your music. In the end it will all become a .wav , how you get  there is your choice.

Computer - Intel Q9550, Intel BX48bt2 MB, W8 64 bit. 8 gb Ram, SSD  
    Hardware - Tascam Fw1884 Control surface only, Ni S49 Komplete Kontroll,Roland Quad Capture, Ni Machine,Kore, Focusrite A/D converter, Blue Mic, Roland Gaia, Akai Mpk49, Yamaha HS80 Monitors.
    Software - Sonar Platinum , Vengeance VPS bundle,Sugar Bytes Effectrix, Turnado, NI Komplete 10 Ultimate, Dune, Rob Papen  Blade , Delay, Punch Evolved.
     http://soundcloud.com/johnhartson/tracks  
     http://www.youtube.com/user/jhart1313 

HumbleNoise
    • Total Posts : 2946
    Re:Made Sonar X1 video on Youtube 2011/01/22 11:38:28 (permalink)
    Crush, go back and read your original post. The first response has a great solution to what you want to do but somehow you ignored it. No problem, you don't have to accept the great help provided on this forum - that's your call.

http://forum.cakewalk.com/tm.aspx?m=2204087

And maybe I'm a hater? Maybe you're right because I do hate it when a poster here on the forums ignores great advice.

And I hate it when a poster abandons their original post without finding a real solution when so many people tried to help.

And I hate being manipulated by a thread title and text thinking I'm about to watch an informative video when it really is just a self indulgent rant about irrelevant nonsense.

And I hate it when that poster then comes back to rant some more about everyone else and how they are just haters when we all tried to help you with your first post.

So I guess I'm a hater. Fine.

But you can still find out how to create some GREAT electronic music in Sonar if you'll just change your attitude and listen and hang in there with all the 'helpers' in the forum. Really, put down the sword, stop fighting this thing and we can help you out.

Or check out Billy Arnell's outstanding 'electronic' music (actually I'm not sure I'd pigeon hole it that way but will stick with and emphasize, the 'outstanding' part.)

http://www.ba-midi.com/music/files/
    post edited by HumbleNoise - 2011/01/22 11:42:45

Humbly Yours

Larry

Sonar X2 x64
    MAudio 2496
    Yamaha MG 12/4
    Roland XV-88
    Intel MB with Q6600 and 4 GB Ram
    NVidia 9800 GTX
    Windows 7 x64 Home Premium
    thomasabarnes
    Max Output Level: -43 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3234
    Re:Made Sonar X1 video on Youtube 2011/01/22 11:40:26 (permalink)
    You should go back and read the other thread you started.

Seems like you discarded advice in that thread to use SD3 and the StepSequencer, to make a video that seems to be a show of ridiculing X1.

To be fair, learn SONAR before trying to make some supposedly educational video using it.
    post edited by thomasabarnes - 2011/01/22 11:43:13

"It's not a song till it touches your heart. It's not a song till it tears you apart!" Lyrics of Amy Grant.

SONAR Platinum X64 (jBridge), Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit, Core i7 990X Extreme Edition Processor 3.46 GHz 6 Cores, Gigabyte EX58-UD5, Crucial Ballistix 24GB 1333MHz DDR3 @1333 MHz, TASCAM UH-7000, Behringer X-Touch, EVGA GTX 980TI Superclocked 6GB, 1TB Samsung EVO 850 SSD, 150GB, 320GB, 1TB 7200rpm HDDs
    ...wicked
    Max Output Level: -1.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 7360
    Re:Made Sonar X1 video on Youtube 2011/01/22 15:17:44 (permalink)
    Yeah man, epic FAIL on this. If you really want to learn how to do quick auditioning and construction using SONAR you can totally learn how to set that up.  But, you're not really trying to learn that, you're trying to compare apples to oranges and set the product up to fail.

Plus, I love the phrase "laughably complex" referring to the drum production tutorials. If you do more than just make "drag and drop music", ie actually produce and mix a track, you'll realize that there's a craft and skill to advanced sound sculpting. It's what separates great music from very pedestrian electronica. I think it's hilarious you find mixing and producing to be "laughably complex".

===========
    The Fog People
    ===========

Intel i7-4790 
    16GB RAM
    ASUS Z97 
    Roland OctaCapture
    Win10/64   

SONAR Platinum 64-bit    
    billions VSTs, some of which work    
    Jesse G
    Max Output Level: -32.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4282
    Re:Made Sonar X1 video on Youtube 2011/01/22 18:57:23 (permalink)
    Chrush,  

honestly, you don't know how to use Sonar effectively.  It appears that you skimmed the manual and attempted to learn Sonar without taking the advice of the people who have been trying to educate you on its use here in the forums.  

There are YouTube videos on Sonar X1 and videos from Groove3, I suggest you watch them.  Learn the specifics of the sonar, not just the intro findings only.   
    Proverbs 15:2 The tongue of the wise useth knowledge aright: but the mouth of fools poureth out foolishness.

Peace

Peace,
    Jesse G. A fisher of men  <><
    ==============================
    Cakewalk and I are going places together!

Cakewalk By Bandlab, Windows 10 Pro- 64 bit, Gigabyte GA-Z97X-SLI, Intel Core i5-4460 Haswell Processor, Crucial Ballistix 32 GB Ram, PNY GeForce GTX 750, Roland Octa-Capture, Mackie Big Knob, Mackie Universal Controller (MCU), KRK V4's, KRK Rockit 6, Korg TR-61 Workstation, M-Audio Code 49 MIDI keyboard controller.[/
    timidi
    Max Output Level: -21 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5449
    Re:Made Sonar X1 video on Youtube 2011/01/22 19:30:12 (permalink)
    he's a plant.

ASUS P8P67, i7-2600K, CORSAIR 16GB, HIS 5450, 3 Samsung SSD 850, Win7 64, RME AIO.

https://timbowman.bandcamp.com/releases

chuckebaby
    • Total Posts : 13146
    Re:Made Sonar X1 video on Youtube 2011/01/22 20:54:32 (permalink)
    i am a newbie..and somehow feel i just lost 13:42 seconds of my life....even i know a step sequencer would have got this done a lot faster..i just hope someone with less knowledge doesnt watch this and try and emulate it.
    Fog
    Re:Made Sonar X1 video on Youtube 2011/01/22 21:08:40 (permalink)
    I looked at the videos.. interesting.. it's amusing in a sense because some of the ARTICLE people / labels from his area I go back years with.  I went over to Canada ,and they visited here. They are Toronto folk.. not wannabe English etc..  they have their own identity , even though they do a predominately UK form of music (from jungle way back to nu jazz / broken
    beat)

I wonder if "spin the record" is still there.. half my luggage back was canadian records

talking about certain UK genres..fair enough, but to me it just seems like some comedy music version of "borat"

post edited by Fog - 2011/01/22 21:39:38
    wormser
    Max Output Level: -71 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 984
    Re:Made Sonar X1 video on Youtube 2011/01/22 21:16:21 (permalink)
    GREAT Troll !!!!

Windows 8 x64
    Intel i7 950 3.06ghz 6 GB DDR3 1333(1066) OCZ memory
    Gigabyte X58A-UD3R v.2.0
    Delta 66.
    Seagate 1.0tb drives x4 OS, Audio, VST, Backup Stuff. 
    Mackie MCU Pro Latest.
    Faderport.
    Sonar X2, PreSonus 2.x, Reaper.

Fog
    Re:Made Sonar X1 video on Youtube 2011/01/22 21:41:06 (permalink)
    worm.. it's actually really insulting.. as I know folk from Toronto who do sterling work and if they got success it was thru hard graft. have shed loads of records out both in the UK and there. and you get mugs like this trying to make a comedy career out of it.

although.. they sent a demo tape to a friend label here.. called "the sound of silence".. and it was a blank tape . they used to play jokes against each other all the time, got really funny.

post edited by Fog - 2011/01/22 21:44:51
    mudgel
    • Total Posts : 12010
    Re:Made Sonar X1 video on Youtube 2011/01/22 21:46:10 (permalink)
    Some folks can't help but embarress themselves out in public.

Mike V. (MUDGEL)

STUDIO: Win 10 Pro x64, SPlat & CbB x64,
    PC: ASUS Z370-A, INTEL i7 8700k, 32GIG DDR4 2400, OC 4.7Ghz.
    Storage: 7 TB SATA III, 750GiG SSD & Samsung 500 Gig 960 EVO NVMe M.2.
    Monitors: Adam A7X, JBL 10” Sub.
    Audio I/O & DSP Server: DIGIGRID IOS & IOX.
    Screen: Raven MTi + 43" HD 4K TV Monitor.
    Keyboard Controller: Native Instruments Komplete Kontrol S88.
    wormser
    Max Output Level: -71 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 984
    Re:Made Sonar X1 video on Youtube 2011/01/22 22:09:01 (permalink)
    @Fog

Yea, I just laugh and move onward. The reason I said "great troll" is because the guy obviously did his 'bug research' homework, although he missed some of the better ones.

He kind of blew it though by going through the initial setup of X1 which he ignored in the FL section.
    We all know it's pretty standard for any of the DAW software.

"Sound Of Silence" that's hysterical!!

Windows 8 x64
    Intel i7 950 3.06ghz 6 GB DDR3 1333(1066) OCZ memory
    Gigabyte X58A-UD3R v.2.0
    Delta 66.
    Seagate 1.0tb drives x4 OS, Audio, VST, Backup Stuff. 
    Mackie MCU Pro Latest.
    Faderport.
    Sonar X2, PreSonus 2.x, Reaper.

trimph1
    Max Output Level: -12 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 6348
    Re:Made Sonar X1 video on Youtube 2011/01/22 22:23:05 (permalink)
    I saw those things...very weird...and funny!

I just did not take it seriously...

The space you have will always be exceeded in direct proportion to the amount of stuff you have...Thornton's Postulate.

Bushpianos
    Etostone
    Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 202
    Re:Made Sonar X1 video on Youtube 2011/01/22 22:52:59 (permalink)
    Nice video :) 
    Keep it simple keep it safe ;) 

Etostone Music Producer/Mastering Engineer/Label Owner

- Visit my Main Site
    - Visit my Mastering Site
    - Visit my Label Site

Lynn
    Max Output Level: -14 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 6117
    Re:Made Sonar X1 video on Youtube 2011/01/22 23:06:42 (permalink)
    Please submit this video to the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame ;)

All the best,
    Lynn

my songs
    www.soundclick.com/lynnwilson

www.youtube.com/lywilson
    my videos

Cakewalk by Bandlab| Sonar Platinum @ 64bits| i7 860 | 8 gigs ram | W10 @ 64 bits | RME FF 400
    guitarmikeh
    Max Output Level: -72 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 942
    Re:Made Sonar X1 video on Youtube 2011/01/22 23:48:10 (permalink)
    timidi

he's a plant.

I think he's more like a rock, well at least as dumb as one.
    I hope he get as many replies on youtube as here. and I hope they're fair, like here.
    If he wanted to show the inadequacies of x1, he should have just said so. and unfortunately is quite easy to do.
    instead he shows his own impotence.

I harbor no ill will towards any man.
    Bub
    Max Output Level: -3.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 7196
    Re:Made Sonar X1 video on Youtube 2011/01/22 23:58:20 (permalink)
    Edit: Crush, I edited my response because after viewing some of your other video's I think I had the wrong impression of your X1 vid's. I would have called them 'reviews' instead of 'tutorials' though.
    post edited by Bub - 2011/01/23 02:43:05

"I pulled the head off Elvis, filled Fred up to his pelvis, yaba daba do, the King is gone, and so are you."
    Crush
    Re:Made Sonar X1 video on Youtube 2011/01/23 02:46:23 (permalink)
    I had to cut out all the bugs from the video trust me. It was bug after bug.

Tonight I tried to mess with it more. Wow it falls short so severely. So many things are illogical. Like.. I SURE HOPE THERE IS A SNAP on the main time line.

There was so many bugs tonight.. I just can't even count them all.

Don't get me wrong, FL studio is a toy and has an illogical workflow and not even a working 'undo' button. But wow Sonar X1 so far from what it seems is a huge let down.

What IS good software, is Sony Vegas. That is good. That is video editing software. It's logical. It makes sense. The timeline snaps to other videos above it. All 'undo's' work. It's very logical, sensible software. The X1 video brags about the fade volume, but that has been in Sony Vegas for years.
    JClosed
    Max Output Level: -77 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 690
    Re:Made Sonar X1 video on Youtube 2011/01/23 02:57:35 (permalink)
    And NO,NO,NO - I'm not going to buy Sony Vegas - and that's final! Final, final and final again!  Do you hear me?
    thomasabarnes
    Max Output Level: -43 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3234
    Re:Made Sonar X1 video on Youtube 2011/01/23 03:16:17 (permalink)
    Well, get your butt over to Sony, and let the door hit you hard on your way out of here, cause you deserve it.  And good riddance.

"It's not a song till it touches your heart. It's not a song till it tears you apart!" Lyrics of Amy Grant.

SONAR Platinum X64 (jBridge), Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit, Core i7 990X Extreme Edition Processor 3.46 GHz 6 Cores, Gigabyte EX58-UD5, Crucial Ballistix 24GB 1333MHz DDR3 @1333 MHz, TASCAM UH-7000, Behringer X-Touch, EVGA GTX 980TI Superclocked 6GB, 1TB Samsung EVO 850 SSD, 150GB, 320GB, 1TB 7200rpm HDDs
    Page: 12345.. > >> Showing page 1 of 7
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1