Match that, Cakewalk!

Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 4 of 7
Author
AJ_0000
Max Output Level: -76 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 738
RE: Match that, Cakewalk! 2008/04/30 21:38:43 (permalink)
Bottom line...Reaper is nowhere near being a finished product. It is nowhere near being a viable alternative to Sonar or any of the other top line DAWs. When you add to that the fact that it's basically the vanity project of a single individual who has no real incentive to continue working on it if/when he gets tired of it, it's hard to argue that it's worth taking seriously. At this point, it is only of interest to people who are idly curious about it or who are, frankly, complete noobs.

As far as the specifics of the program:

- It has very limited MIDI functionality.
- The interface has a wide range of design flaws.
- The design of the program in general--the way it works--is not well thought out. It's just a bunch of functions stacked up in menus.
- It has no "tools", a staple of virtually every windows program that does editing of any kind.
- The audio engine is of suspect quality.

I've been trying it out more since my first post, and that's my opinion. Sorry if you don't like it.
glazfolk
Max Output Level: -22.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5253
RE: Match that, Cakewalk! 2008/04/30 23:40:24 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: AJ_0000

Bottom line...Reaper is ... only of interest to people who are idly curious about it or who are, frankly, complete noobs.

I'm sorry, but statements like this are just plain silly.

I have used Cakewalk (PA and Sonar) for 10 years and Reaper for about a year and a half, both in a professional environment.

Both Sonar and Reaper are good DAWs.

Both are for the most part reliable and stable, though any DAW can and will crash under the right (or should I say "wrong"?) circumstances.

Each has advantages over the other and each has disadvantages.

In my experience, as a general rule I prefer Sonar for MIDI and Reaper for audio. But then I deal with mainly acoustic music, and for me the use of acoustic space that Reaper makes possible through its routing and channel splitting facilities make it appealing. On the other hand, for projects where features such as Audio Snap were more important, Sonar would be the natural choice.

I guess the measure of whether any DAW has really come of age is when its devotees no longer feel the need to justify their choice of product by making uninformed derogatory attacks on its competitors. Judging by some of the remarks in this thread I would say that sadly some Sonar users still have a little way to go in that direction.
xackley
Max Output Level: -45.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2973
RE: Match that, Cakewalk! 2008/05/01 00:12:35 (permalink)

Bottom line...Reaper is nowhere near being a finished product. It is nowhere near being a viable alternative to Sonar or any of the other top line DAWs. When you add to that the fact that it's basically the vanity project of a single individual who has no real incentive to continue working on it if/when he gets tired of it, it's hard to argue that it's worth taking seriously. At this point, it is only of interest to people who are idly curious about it or who are, frankly, complete noobs.

As far as the specifics of the program:

- It has very limited MIDI functionality.
- The interface has a wide range of design flaws.
- The design of the program in general--the way it works--is not well thought out. It's just a bunch of functions stacked up in menus.
- It has no "tools", a staple of virtually every windows program that does editing of any kind.
- The audio engine is of suspect quality.

I've been trying it out more since my first post, and that's my opinion. Sorry if you don't like it.

I really wish that everyone that wants to discuss a competing program do it in the competitors forum. This thread has probably cost CW money, and the CW fanboys keep bumping it to the top. If you don't understand reaper, this is not the place to discuss the problem.

No matter what the subject, when someone post off the wall garbage as fact, often another more knowledgeable, less bias person will respond to correct the inaccuracies. It's a no win situation. The only way to beat a thread like this is to let it slip on over to page 2 of the thread list.

Edit: BTW
-wrong
-wrong
-wrong
-wish it had a user defined tool bar, but no "tools" is just different. Instead of selecting a tool and click the mouse, one glides the mouse over the clip and presses a key. Still 1 click, keyboard instead of mouse.
-very wrong.

EditEdit: and reaper has way to many ctrl alt shift key combinations for a mortal to ever remember.
post edited by xackley - 2008/05/01 00:39:42

Van Gogh, seeing more that a vase of flowers.
http://www.vggallery.com
Newer Song "River", let me know if you don't like it.
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=162668
mudgel
  • Total Posts : 12010
RE: Match that, Cakewalk! 2008/05/01 00:28:32 (permalink)
Howdy Geoff nice to see you posting here. How's tassie?
I'm an ardent user and supporter of all things Cakewalk. But that doesn't mean I don't own and try other software.

I bought a license for Reaper. I hope to see it continue developing. I think its worth the price of admission to see the development in such an open way. Normally when you buy a piece of software you don't see the development quite so transparently. Like geoff I agree it has its benefits and I especially like the routing that is possible. Very open architecture and I think it will only get stronger.

As to Justin's motivations and thoughts; who knows. That's all speculation. If he stopped tomorrow I got my money's worth. If he continues, reaper will get stronger. If If If If. Who really knows. It does show the possibilities of what one person can do and along with a big beta program Justin's really proving to be quite good at what he does. All the best to him.

Mike V. (MUDGEL)

STUDIO: Win 10 Pro x64, SPlat & CbB x64,
PC: ASUS Z370-A, INTEL i7 8700k, 32GIG DDR4 2400, OC 4.7Ghz.
Storage: 7 TB SATA III, 750GiG SSD & Samsung 500 Gig 960 EVO NVMe M.2.
Monitors: Adam A7X, JBL 10” Sub.
Audio I/O & DSP Server: DIGIGRID IOS & IOX.
Screen: Raven MTi + 43" HD 4K TV Monitor.
Keyboard Controller: Native Instruments Komplete Kontrol S88.
AJ_0000
RE: Match that, Cakewalk! 2008/05/01 01:07:04 (permalink)
This forum is an important resource for Sonar users, provided by Cakewalk for that purpose. Over time, it has become clear that there are more than a few people intent on using it to advertise for Reaper, a competing product. Rather than simply ignore them, which is probably the best approach, I decided to download it and try it. My honest opinion is that it is primitive in its feature set--bare bones. It is poorly organized. It seems as if the features have just been stacked on top of each other without any real thought to how it will be used. As I've said before, I can see it having an appeal to noobs who are intimidated by full-featured products like Sonar. I can also see it having an appeal to people with old, slow computers. Otherwise, I don't think there's much to be excited about. That said, none of this is about defending Sonar. It is about trying to defend this forum from people who want to misuse it.
glazfolk
Max Output Level: -22.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5253
RE: Match that, Cakewalk! 2008/05/01 01:23:02 (permalink)

This forum is an important resource for Sonar users, provided by Cakewalk for that purpose. Over time, it has become clear that there are more than a few people intent on using it to advertise for Reaper, a competing product ... It is about trying to defend this forum from people who want to misuse it.

Yes, this point has been made before, and in connection with Reaper, Pro Tools, Cubase and other software.

The answer is still the same, as Susan G and others have pointed out on numerous occasions - the decision as to what does and does not constitute an abuse or misuse of this forum is clearly one for the moderators and only for the moderators.

In my opinion, they are to be commended for taking a different view from your own here, because in a competitive environment any software only stands to be made even better by learning from what others are doing.
Roflcopter
Max Output Level: -7.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 6767
RE: Match that, Cakewalk! 2008/05/01 04:12:31 (permalink)
Hey Roflcopter Does TTS sound that much better tha Edirol VSC? Have you tried the Coyote in BaB? h

Yes, I think it sounds better than the VSC - plus, when I go into Sonar with the result I first set everything to TTS-1 there, so I get what I had sound-wise in BiaB. Stability-wise it also pans out a lot better than the VSC, at least on my setup. Had frequent crashes with BiaB with the VSC, esp when turning on/off melodies etc. Still happens every once in a while, but it's like 50:1.

Not familiar with Coyote, only found this:

http://mypeoplepc.com/members/scottnoanh/slsdiy/index.html

I'm a perfectionist, and perfect is a skinned knee.
Tom F
Max Output Level: -48 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2749
RE: Match that, Cakewalk! 2008/05/01 05:35:51 (permalink)
feels like there is too much "religion" stuff in all the host discussions - i wouldnt mind to switch from one to the other...give me two weeks of intensive work with a new sequencer and i will be fine...i switched from logic to cubase, back to logic and now i am with sonar...no big deal...and if sonar might be vanished tomorrow - even if i really love it - i wont shed a single tear....some people here act like a certain piece of software was their BEST FRIEND....but its just a worktool...and in the end they almost can ALL do the same...

cheers

edit: also the concerns about reaper being a one man show are a bit naive - havent you ever heard of global players going bankrupt??? so what is the point of that? EVERY company could just dissapear within a week...leaving loads of customers with a product no longer supported...
post edited by info@tomflair.com - 2008/05/01 05:57:33
Mr Clean
Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 146
RE: Match that, Cakewalk! 2008/05/01 06:36:10 (permalink)
I've been using Reaper for a few weeks. It's a great little tool in my workshop IMO. I can use it for ease on my comp (not got the best hardware) I can record great sounds with it, have no issues as yet but that doesn't mean I'll stop using Sonar. Majority of what is recorded in Reaper gets imported to Sonar for mixing in the end.

At the end of the day, software is just another tool in your box to be used. Audacity is another great (Free) tool I use alot.

Also I like a change every now and then on my screen. As much as I love Sonar, I also like the recordings I get via Reaper.
stratton
Max Output Level: -62 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1446
RE: Match that, Cakewalk! 2008/05/01 08:10:41 (permalink)
In my opinion, they are to be commended for taking a different view from your own here, because in a competitive environment any software only stands to be made even better by learning from what others are doing.

Well said. I do get tired of the fanboi posts about competing products here, but on the other hand they promote an ongoing assessment of the value of my investment in SONAR. Cakewalk is to be commended for allowing these posts to go where they will and let the users speak for themselves.

It seems problems mainly occur when someone insists they are right and everyone else is wrong.
stratton
Max Output Level: -62 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1446
RE: Match that, Cakewalk! 2008/05/01 08:12:05 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Roflcopter

Still haven't scratched all the possibilities in the 2007 version, and the new one has multi-styles, which sounds yummy, but I'm in no rush, I'll wait until we've seen a few upgrades.

With the TTS-1 instead of the standard synth, it's pretty stable - without, not so stable, I found. But that's easily fixed.

Thanks!
Moseph
Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 85
RE: Match that, Cakewalk! 2008/05/01 08:33:27 (permalink)
I skimmed through most of these posts, and a few things always seem to catch my attention when discussing REAPER.

1) Justin Frankel's past products have been popular within the piracy community. Saying so isn't really defamation of character, it's a statement of what I believe is a known fact. "How popular" is an issue I've never seen hard figures to verify, but both WinAmp and Gnutella were significant because each was free of charge and facilitated illegal swapping of other software. There was some minor discussion of the perceived popularity of each in some books I read about the file-swapping heyday at the end of the 20th century.

2) I used to follow REAPER's development more closely, both @ KVR and also on the REAPER forums themselves. At one point I believe there were 1-3 developers in addition to Frankel working on the product.

3) There is a lot of misperception about REAPER being free. I haven't seen it much on this forum, but I've seen it a lot on other forums. REAPER is not free, and has not been free since version 0.999 (which is actually still available last I checked). I personally, was much more excited about the product when it was freeware. There is now a fully-functional, non-expiring demo version available, which many on the Internet seem to construe as "free."

4) REAPER is not comparatively cheaper than other DAW software. That $50 price tag you see getting thrown around is for non-commercial uses only. That is a limited license compared to Sonar HS, or other starter packages: they have no restrictions about commercial releases. REAPER's "full" license is $225, pretty much in the middle of the pack for other software with similar functionality.
Roflcopter
RE: Match that, Cakewalk! 2008/05/01 08:42:05 (permalink)
Justin Frankel's past products have been popular within the piracy community. Saying so isn't really defamation of character, it's a statement of what I believe is a known fact.

You serious?

So are Adobe's products, but I don't see anyone calling them warez whores, or claiming they actually paid warez sites to pimp their product.

Maybe you are a forgiving reader, but judges usually just see what was written.

Moseph
Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 85
RE: Match that, Cakewalk! 2008/05/01 08:48:06 (permalink)

Justin Frankel's past products have been popular within the piracy community. Saying so isn't really defamation of character, it's a statement of what I believe is a known fact.

You serious?

So are Adobe's products, but I don't see anyone calling them warez whores, or claiming they actually paid warez sites to pimp their product.

I agree with you about that sort of name-calling or those sorts of accusations. However, a lot of people in the past get up in arms about the fact that Frankel's software projects have been used heavily by software pirates. That simple fact doesn't necessarily mean the association is by choice (your Adobe example is a great example of this).

He released software that he made freely available and easily distributed. It's really out of his hands who uses that software and how after that choice is made (that's sort of the point). To say the end-users of his product will reflect upon his character per se, well that's just unfair. That's the point I was trying to make.
Tom F
RE: Match that, Cakewalk! 2008/05/01 11:08:14 (permalink)
ahhh - so because A uses B´s program called C to do something you do not like then the program D of A is WHAT ????

Roflcopter
RE: Match that, Cakewalk! 2008/05/01 11:46:38 (permalink)
[nitpick mode]
You mean if B uses A's program ... etc.
[/nitpick mode]

Psychobillybob
Max Output Level: -73 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 882
RE: Match that, Cakewalk! 2008/05/01 13:18:13 (permalink)
Mosephs point about commercial cost of reaper should put an end to the "free vs. Sonar" nonsense.

I've paid for license of Sonar for two studios, the same as with Vista, if you're gonna do it do it right.

$225.00 for a stripped down audio proggy just does not make any sense for a working studio...hence my comment about serious usage.

Frankly I don't think reaper is seriously considering running with the big dogs, which is fine, there are planty of people willing to pay to use it in a non-commercial environment...but lets be honest about where the application is meant to be used.

I'm using SOnar Platinium on a 6 core Lynx Audio machine and a ton of vintage pre-amps/eq's/comps I build for fun and sometimes money, REDD.47/API/Neve I also use the UAD stuff, and also use a Macbook Logic 9 through Apogee...
Tom F
RE: Match that, Cakewalk! 2008/05/01 13:19:53 (permalink)
damn . you got me :-)
i just switched the operators - and i thought 1st degree logics were easy
Oaf_Topik
Max Output Level: -54 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2105
RE: Match that, Cakewalk! 2008/05/01 14:21:59 (permalink)
Is Reaper the best pro DAW out there? NO

Can you make great music on Reaper? YES

Is Reaper better than Sonar, overall? NO

Can you take the recordings you made with Reaper on a USB stick to any major recording studio for a remix? YES

Is the development of Reaper a good thing for recording engineers and musicans? ABSOULTLY

The continued development of Reaper is good for Sonar, Cubase, etc... It will only make things better, and force developers to pay attention to what's going on.

Roflcopter
RE: Match that, Cakewalk! 2008/05/01 15:55:54 (permalink)
damn . you got me :-)
i just switched the operators - and i thought 1st degree logics were easy

Don't worry about it. Once you've A/B'd enough A/D converters, I bet you a C-note you no longer give an F.

j boy
  • Total Posts : 2729
RE: Match that, Cakewalk! 2008/05/01 16:03:25 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Oaf_Topik

Can you take the recordings you made with Reaper on a USB stick to any major recording studio for a remix? YES

NOW this is something the CW bakers might consider folding into a future SONAR upgrade... something like a "MinSONAR" or "PortaSONAR" that was small enough file size to fit comfortably on a USB drive, and had just enough functionality to take and export the audio from a .cwp project into a third-party (read: Pro-Tools) environment. That would obviate the argument that SONAR isn't ready to run with the big dawgs because your project isn't able to be shared in a collaborative way with PT users, which let's face it, are many in number in the professional sphere.
stevec
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 11546
RE: Match that, Cakewalk! 2008/05/01 16:21:20 (permalink)
But why would anyone waste studio time exporting files from SONAR when that could be done ahead of time?

For that matter, I'd imagine the same holds true for Reaper; i.e., if it's a PT studio, it's either individual wave files or OMF. But I can't see the point of taking a USB stick when everything can already be copied to a DVD as it is, SONAR or Reaper...

I think he meant taking the recordings that you made with Reaper, which happens to be on a USB stick, and then bringing those files to a major studio... vs. taking the USB stick itself and converting the data over on studio time. $$$

Then again...

SteveC
https://soundcloud.com/steve-cocchi
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=39163

SONAR Platinum x64, Intel Q9300 (2.5Ghz), Asus P5N-D, Win7 x64 SP1, 8GB RAM, 1TB internal + ESATA + USB Backup HDDs, ATI Radeon HD5450 1GB RAM + dual ViewSonic VA2431wm Monitors;
Focusrite 18i6 (ASIO);
Komplete 9, Melodyne Studio 4, Ozone 7 Advanced, Rapture Pro, GPO5, Valhalla Plate, MJUC comp, MDynamic EQ, lots of other freebie VST plugins, synths and Kontakt libraries

AJ_0000
RE: Match that, Cakewalk! 2008/05/01 17:06:47 (permalink)

You serious?

Keep in mind that at the time WinAmp came out, there was no such thing as paying for an mp3. I think it would not be unfair to say that WinAmp and Gnutella were both created with the full knowledge they would be used for piracy, if not created for the specific purpose of facilitating piracy.
HotCoollMusicGirl
Max Output Level: -71 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 991
RE: Match that, Cakewalk! 2008/05/01 18:04:56 (permalink)

Keep in mind that at the time WinAmp came out, there was no such thing as paying for an mp3.

Ok, I'm keeping it in mind. But now can you explain what it means, exactly, and what relevance it has to Reaper or Sonar or anything, really.

And why the irrational fear of Reaper and the need to denigrate its developer as a criminal mastermind, its users as unambitious "noobs," and all those who find anything positive to say about it as infiltrator "pimps"?

You realize don't you that all you're accomplishing is getting people interested in what's all the hubbub, bub?

post edited by HotCoollMusicGirl - 2008/05/01 18:24:30
sessionthree
Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 172
RE: Match that, Cakewalk! 2008/05/01 18:19:27 (permalink)
Justin has said at least two times in the last month or so in an IRC channel I was in that "if his efforts with Reaper would cause other DAW software to improve for the end-user, then he has succeeded." (paraphrased) To me that says a lot about his character and his motivation behind Reaper. He doesn't want to take over the world with Reaper as some people seem to believe. He just want's DAW programmers to step it up. (Competition is good for everyone, you know.)

There are some things that Reaper does better (and more easily) than just about any DAW out there, but you have to spend time with the program to realize that. There are also (of course) lots of things Reaper doesn't do or do as well as other DAWs.

Already, Reaper has caused Cakewalk to take notice with the recent multi-core processing balancing results. Because Reaper kicked Sonar's rear in this area, I'm sure that Sonar will be improved to be as good or better. (Just maybe not as fast as it would be if it were turned around.)

I hope that the Bakers will realize they can't just tack on additional synths/plugins with each new version. IMO, Sonar needs an overhaul (more efficient audio/processing engine, UI design, etc.)

As to the comments about Reaper not being used in serious and/or professional studios. I know for a fact that's BS just from who I know in the Reaper forums/IRC that use it (and only it) in their pro studios.

Oh, and I agree with tomflair... there's way too much religion in DAW discussions. It's ridiculous, frankly.

I use Sonar/Reaper/Cubase/Audition/Sound Forge/Audacity/......
post edited by sessionthree - 2008/05/01 18:41:33
Roflcopter
RE: Match that, Cakewalk! 2008/05/01 18:28:25 (permalink)
I think it would not be unfair to say that WinAmp and Gnutella were both created with the full knowledge they would be used for piracy

As fair as it would be to say that Philips had that in mind when they created the CD-R.

Or Fraunhofer for coming up with that diabolical .mp3 format in the first place.

Or Microsoft, who gave everybody bad ideas when they include the suggestive 'copy' command right into the DOS command interpreter itself.

Mmm. Ofcourse they topped that with the 'share' command in 3.00

Tom F
RE: Match that, Cakewalk! 2008/05/01 18:47:58 (permalink)
yeah probably that argumant against reaper is one of the silliest and most unrelated arguments i have ever heard....(at all) not only in this dicussion :-)

ahhh i got a even better one: dont support reaper cos it it has an inherent morbid name which could affect life of sensitive users...they should rename into "creator" that would be positive
John
Forum Host
  • Total Posts : 30467
RE: Match that, Cakewalk! 2008/05/01 18:51:57 (permalink)
Well without reapers we wouldn't be eating. Its all in how you look at it.

Best
John
AJ_0000
RE: Match that, Cakewalk! 2008/05/01 20:09:16 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: HotCoollMusicGirl

Keep in mind that at the time WinAmp came out, there was no such thing as paying for an mp3.

Ok, I'm keeping it in mind. But now can you explain what it means, exactly, and what relevance it has to Reaper or Sonar or anything, really.

And why the irrational fear of Reaper and the need to denigrate its developer as a criminal mastermind, its users as unambitious "noobs," and all those who find anything positive to say about it as infiltrator "pimps"?

You realize don't you that all you're accomplishing is getting people interested in what's all the hubbub, bub?

Maybe I haven't been clear. I have no "fear" of anything associated with this stuff, irrational or otherwise. I have no vested in interest in defending Sonar as a piece of software, other than my opinion that it's the best option out there, which is why I use it. I guess there are just certain things that are "pet peeves" to me. One of those is people who destroy constructive discussion with some kind of dishonest agenda. I don't know why the people pushing Reaper on here are so fanatical that they feel the need to bring it up over, and over, and over again, and I don't really care. The only justification that would hold any water would be if the program is really exceptional, so I took a look at it. It isn't. The only thing that's "exciting" about it is that it's non-expiring shareware and it has a small footprint.

Maybe I just need to put a finer point on it. I consider people who post here with the goal of promoting or advertising for Reaper (or any other competing product) to be spammers. If that doesn't make my POV and my irritation clear, I don't know how else to express it. In any event, I'm going to do what I should have done in the first place, which is to ignore Reaper spammers/trolls from now on.

Maybe the real problem is that this has very little to do with music recording/production. It's another one of these worn-out leftover 90s computer nerd crusades. I have the exact same problem with people who come on here spreading a bunch of false information about Vista because they hate Microsoft. I have no reason to spend my time defending Microsoft, but you know at some point, these people are just going around disrupting the forum and intentionally misleading people. In other words, spam, trolling whatever you want to call it.
post edited by AJ_0000 - 2008/05/01 20:39:48
HotCoollMusicGirl
Max Output Level: -71 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 991
RE: Match that, Cakewalk! 2008/05/01 20:19:58 (permalink)

The only thing that's "exciting" about it is that it's non-expiring shareware and it has a small footprint.

And varispeed.
Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 4 of 7
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1