Match that, Cakewalk!

Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 5 of 7
Author
Jose7822
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 10031
RE: Match that, Cakewalk! 2008/05/01 20:22:46 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: HotCoollMusicGirl

ORIGINAL: AJ_0000

The only thing that's "exciting" about it is that it's non-expiring shareware and it has a small footprint.

And varispeed.

And WAY better performance than Sonar.
AJ_0000
Max Output Level: -76 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 738
RE: Match that, Cakewalk! 2008/05/01 20:35:21 (permalink)
Let me give you a little background on my own situation. I'm a musician. Because the technology has finally gotten to a point where it can be done, I've recently gotten very serious about recording my own stuff, with the goal of having a commercial-grade (or close to it) product at the end of it. I don't have an unlimited budget. I can't afford to own every DAW program out there. I've chosen Sonar because I think it's the best thing out there right now for the money. In the past, I've found this forum to be extremely helpful. I've learned a lot of stuff from it that has greatly accelerated my learning curve. So when I log on here and start going through the threads, I'm looking for information that will be useful to me. Unfortunately, there are people who use this forum for other purposes. Some seem to view it as a social club. Others seem to view it as a latrine for them to drive by and spam about unrelated issues in any time they feel like it, and the worst variant of that mentality are people who try to use it to advertise for some non-Cakewalk product. There are forums out there for everything under the sun. If you want to discuss Reaper, use a Reaper forum. If you want discuss some other product, go to the forum for that. In other words, PLEASE QUIT WASTING MY TIME.
AJ_0000
RE: Match that, Cakewalk! 2008/05/01 20:38:59 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: Jose7822

ORIGINAL: HotCoollMusicGirl

The only thing that's "exciting" about it is that it's non-expiring shareware and it has a small footprint.

And varispeed.

And WAY better performance than Sonar.

It performs better because it's stripped down. That's like saying Windows Paint has better performance than Photoshop, or the Windows Calculator has better performance than Excel. So what?
post edited by AJ_0000 - 2008/05/01 20:58:22
Jose7822
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 10031
RE: Match that, Cakewalk! 2008/05/01 21:04:44 (permalink)

Let me give you a little background on my own situation. I'm a musician. Because the technology has finally gotten to a point where it can be done, I've recently gotten very serious about recording my own stuff, with the goal of having a commercial-grade (or close to it) product at the end of it. I don't have an unlimited budget. I can't afford to own every DAW program out there. I've chosen Sonar because I think it's the best thing out there right now for the money. In the past, I've found this forum to be extremely helpful. I've learned a lot of stuff from it that has greatly accelerated my learning curve. So when I log on here and start going through the threads, I'm looking for information that will be useful to me. Unfortunately, there are people who use this forum for other purposes. Some seem to view it as a social club. Others seem to view it as a latrine for them to drive by and spam about unrelated issues in any time they feel like it, and the worst variant of that mentality are people who try to use it to advertise for some non-Cakewalk product. There are forums out there for everything under the sun. If you want to discuss Reaper, use a Reaper forum. If you want discuss some other product, go to the forum for that. In other words, PLEASE QUIT WASTING MY TIME.

Well, what I coincidence. I'm also a musician first and an aspiring (wanna-be if you will) AE second, but I don't think we're any different than most people here in this forum (limited budget included). I also chose Sonar over the other DAWs because I think it is the best thing out there, BUT I do recognize when another DAW does something better. And if I have to move for one DAW to another to achieve my goal, then I will. Hopefully, as a musician, you can understand that our ultimate goal is to produce the best recording possible, and Sonar is just one of many tools that lets us achieve this goal.

Now, I understand we're in the Sonar forum but this doesn't mean we can't discuss other DAWs and what they do better or worse. Not doing so would be like closing our eyes to the world around us, which is just plain ignorant (not directed at you by the way). This is the reason why I'm glad people like Vin and Eratu came up with a Universal DAW Benchmark Test, because now we know where we stand (as Sonar users) compared to the other DAWs out there. This will only help Cakewalk improve their software and thus enable us to enjoy a much better product. It's actually a win/win situation for all of us. At least this is how I see it. If you think it is a waste of your time then do as you wish, but I think we should be able to discuss any topic as long as Sonar is related.

Take care!
Mr Clean
Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 146
RE: Match that, Cakewalk! 2008/05/01 21:05:14 (permalink)
At the end of the day it the person using the program at hand not the program itself.

'Anyone can hold a paint brush or pencil but it doesn't make them an artist'.

I don't see the point arguing over something so futile, if you like it, use it, if you don't, don't. Simple. A piece of software is only better than another piece of software in the right hands. Regardless of looks, speed, functionality.
glazfolk
Max Output Level: -22.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5253
RE: Match that, Cakewalk! 2008/05/01 21:34:00 (permalink)

Because the technology has finally gotten to a point where it can be done, I've recently gotten very serious about recording my own stuff, with the goal of having a commercial-grade (or close to it) product at the end of it ... I've chosen Sonar because I think it's the best thing out there right now for the money. In the past, I've found this forum to be extremely helpful. I've learned a lot of stuff from it that has greatly accelerated my learning curve. So when I log on here and start going through the threads, I'm looking for information that will be useful to me.

Fair enough. I hope you find this useful.

Most people would agree that no piece of audio software offers complete and total perfection. I'd guess, for example, that pretty close to 100% of Sonar users (or Cubase, or Reaper, or ProTools, or Live, or anything else for that matter) use their DAW of choice in conjunction with other software - e.g. Audition or Sound Forge for editing, Kjaerhus or Sony VST Plug-ins, third party synths, and so on.

In the same vein, because of its routing architecture, Reaper can run virtually seamlessly with Sonar, almost as if they were one program (using a feature called ReaRoute). So, for example, you can take advantage of Sonar's Synth Rack environment (for example), feeding the output to Reaper to take advantage of (for example) Reaper's parallel FX processing.

This is just one of many examples I could give. I use both Sonar and Reaper, together, and my possibilities would be more limited than they are if I was for some reason compelled to only be allowed to use one of them. Others I think will have similar experiences with Sonar and either Reaper or other software. What's the problem with that?

OldGeezer
Max Output Level: -77 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 686
RE: Match that, Cakewalk! 2008/05/01 22:01:14 (permalink)

Let me give you a little background on everyone else's situation: Deep down, they probably don't really care all that much what you think. I've just done a little soul-searching, and by jove, I'm finding that I don't care either. How 'bout that?

Your arguments throughout this thread have been a joke. For example, you think that a lack of built in instruments makes it a stripped down program or something. The fact that it isn't bloated with entry-level romplers and synths (ugh) that no real "pro" would ever use does not make it a stripped down anything. I have Sonar 4...and while I used to think the TTS-1 was kinda neat coz it let me get some drum, bass, guitar and piano sounds, eventually I started realizing that the drums sounded pretty bland next to commercial products, and the guitars had virtually nothing in the way of articulations and sounded horribly fake etc.. In other words, instruments that are included in pretty much all DAW hosts are, as a general rule, total crap (unless you're into electronica and the like and actually use those godawful synth plugins). I might consider using the TTS-1 for piano or other keyboard, but since I own Kontakt2, and have pianos out the ying-yang, including a 1.5GB August Foerster and a large Steinway, why would I bother with some mini-rompler? You seem to tout Sonar for containing a bunch of instruments of the so-so quality you accuse Reaper of being. From what I've read, Reaper's got some better audio features (ie.Routing) than the latest Sonar, according to more reputable statements I've read online (ie. someone who actually know what they're talking about, not some joe having virtual-territorial issues throwing a hissy-fit and honking all over those who annoy him with posts who's topics aren't to his liking), and I don't know what you do with midi in Sonar, but as someone who roughs in melodies on a keyboard and tweaks/quantizes/etc... here and there in the piano roll, I don't know what Reaper is lacking that you figure makes it useless for "pro" (groan) usage. I have no use for midi paintbrushes and the like, though I'm sure it's only a matter of time before all kinds of superfluous luxuries make their way into Reaper's midi features too. I haven't tried S7 (or 6 or 5), but Sonar4 doesn't do anything I need that Reaper doesn't do (in fact I'm still puttering around with both for the hell of it since I got a quad-core system and performance isn't a major issue with either host yet), though I'm admitedly strictly a hobbyist who's not all that serious, not an accomplished and well recognized professional like you who knows the pro studio scene intimately, can judge a DAW host's merit in an hour, and has no tolerance for the impudence of amateurs who might like using Reaper in conjunction with Sonar for various reasons and dare to mention the program in your forum.

That you think anyone who talks about Reaper in here is an agent of the devil, er, I mean Reaper who has Reaper-spamming on their agenda, and that the author is in cohoots with wares scum, blah blah etc... is amusing though. Now put on your tinfoil hat, take a deep breath, and don't let all this nasty Reaper talk interfere with your brilliant career. Someday, we'll all recognize your greatness and will accept your wisdom as gospel when you decide for us what we should and should not talk about in your forum. You know best, after all
post edited by OldGeezer - 2008/05/01 22:22:50
Richard Brian
Max Output Level: -40 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3519
RE: Match that, Cakewalk! 2008/05/01 22:18:22 (permalink)
That you think anyone who talks about Reaper in here is an agent of the devil, er, I mean Reaper who has Reaper-spamming on their agenda, and that the author is in cohoots with wares scum, blah blah etc... is am

I don't think anyone who talks about Reaper in here is whatever you said, there, but I'll tell you there's still a stink in the air from when the Reaper cats were "Spreading the word" in here (and every other audio forum). What a bunch of moronic and juvenile crap. Whenever I hear someone say Reaper, that's the first thing that I associate with it.
OldGeezer
RE: Match that, Cakewalk! 2008/05/01 23:12:57 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: Richard Brian
I don't think anyone who talks about Reaper in here is whatever you said, there, but I'll tell you there's still a stink in the air from when the Reaper cats were "Spreading the word" in here (and every other audio forum). What a bunch of moronic and juvenile crap. Whenever I hear someone say Reaper, that's the first thing that I associate with it.

Pardon my ludicrous sensationalism, I figured I was replying in kind.

It sounds like you're refering to a specific time when blatant Reaper spamming was rampant...? I either musta missed it, or maybe even was a part of it without realizing how rampant it was. But I'm sure it's the same for any up and comer in the DAW field. FL Studio got pimped alot for a while way back, and I'm sure people must have been sick of hearing about some new "Sonar" app years ago.

I wouldn't be surprised if those two "cheap" apps, FL Studio and to a smaller extent (due to its newness), Reaper, have played at least an imperceptably small part in the moderate pricing you enjoy with apps like Sonar and Cubase. That there are DAW publishers out there proving that whatever you can do with the most expensive software, you can do with an app costing a couple hundred bucks or less (albeit with an entirely different workflow, if not paradigm) might be helping to keep the price of other apps at a reasonable level.

Now that I've got a smokin new machine, I'm 98% decided on finally upgrading to Sonar 7 in July with my vacation pay. The vocal tuning app included looks mighty cool judging from a video I saw, but I'll still be glad I got a 50 dollar "non-commercial" license for Reaper and look forward to seeing what V3 looks like. Who knows, I may have parts of one wired into the other by then. Hell, I'm even tempted to grab FL Studio 8 at the same time. I think I have a DAW fetish...as long as there's no dongle, I'd do it. And I'm not sure that talking about the competition in here should be a hanging offence.
post edited by OldGeezer - 2008/05/01 23:32:14
Richard Brian
RE: Match that, Cakewalk! 2008/05/01 23:22:26 (permalink)
Heh, suffice it to say that their "Reaper" brand name was likely irreparably damaged for this cat.
sessionthree
Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 172
RE: Match that, Cakewalk! 2008/05/01 23:33:46 (permalink)

In other words, PLEASE QUIT WASTING MY TIME.

Dude, you're the one reading this thread (and continuing to reply.)

HotCoollMusicGirl
Max Output Level: -71 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 991
RE: Match that, Cakewalk! 2008/05/01 23:43:56 (permalink)

Whenever I hear someone say Reaper, that's the first thing that I associate with it.

Whenever I hear someone say Reaper, the first thing I associate with it is varispeed.

The second thing I associate with it is also varispeed. And a smoothness to the sound.

The next thing I associate with it are the clip properties dialogs. Which are nicely complete and functional, and which privide access to that particular clip's own varispeed setting.

After that, I think of the variety of available clip fade-in/out envelope shapes and how they actually shape the wave image, and how the clips are pleasing to look at (and how they oddly don't display when Reaper doesn't have the focus.

Then I think that I really should print out the PDF-only documentation because I loath Acrobat.

Then I think about how much discussing Reaper annoys certain people here on the forum, which makes me a teeny bit reluctant but ultimately a teeny bit more inclined to do so.

Oh, did I mention that I also think of varispeed whenever someone says Reaper?
post edited by HotCoollMusicGirl - 2008/05/02 00:52:40
HotCoollMusicGirl
RE: Match that, Cakewalk! 2008/05/01 23:51:28 (permalink)

Heh, suffice it to say that their "Reaper" brand name was likely irreparably damaged for this cat.

You may be right on that. I apparently missed some of the early gang wars.

But I suspect also that the irrational and overreaching reactions every time it's mentioned actually increase Reaper's 'sample rate'.

That's what got me to check Reaper out... weeks before one of its main anti-cheerleaders here even bothered to.

Those who wish Reaper unspoken of are best not speaking of Reaper.

post edited by HotCoollMusicGirl - 2008/05/02 00:17:07
Richard Brian
RE: Match that, Cakewalk! 2008/05/01 23:52:29 (permalink)
Not me...when someone mentions Reaper I think of childish morons. Now that's brand recognition.
John
Forum Host
  • Total Posts : 30467
RE: Match that, Cakewalk! 2008/05/01 23:56:30 (permalink)
Those who wish Reaper unspoken of are best not speaking of Reaper.

Now thats creative writing worthy of Jinga! Nice one.

Best
John
Oaf_Topik
Max Output Level: -54 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2105
RE: Match that, Cakewalk! 2008/05/02 01:14:28 (permalink)
Then I think that I really should print out the PDF-only documentation because I loath Acrobat.

Try Foxit.

It's free and so much better than Adobe reader: http://www.foxitsoftware.com/pdf/rd_intro.php

musicroom
Max Output Level: -51 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2421
RE: Match that, Cakewalk! 2008/05/02 02:09:56 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: sessionthree

In other words, PLEASE QUIT WASTING MY TIME.

Dude, you're the one reading this thread (and continuing to reply.)

What he said!

Dave
Songs

kingo
Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 260
RE: Match that, Cakewalk! 2008/05/02 02:43:36 (permalink)
Damn...this forum sure beats watching TV when I'm too lazy to be composing.
So, are the CWer's the Hillary-ites and the Reapers the Obamazoids...or is it the other way around?

Gotta say, both programs are FABULOUS TOOLS! When I try to imagine the work and complexity that's involved in coding either program...I get dizzy!
Enjoy.
Lanceindastudio
Max Output Level: -29 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4604
RE: Match that, Cakewalk! 2008/05/02 05:07:15 (permalink)
other way? ... I .... hope?... umm both are Ob.... I hope more...

Asus P8Z77-V LE PLUS Motherboard   
i7 3770k CPU
32 gigs RAM
Presonus AudioBox iTwo
Windows 10 64 bit, SONAR PLATINUM 64 bit
Lots of plugins and softsynths and one shot samples, loops
Gauge ECM-87, MCA SP-1, Alesis AM51
Presonus Eureka
Mackie HR824's and matching subwoofer
Roflcopter
Max Output Level: -7.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 6767
RE: Match that, Cakewalk! 2008/05/02 05:11:30 (permalink)
And the funny thing is, I'm betting everyone a dollar the same people would show the same ferociousness if the topic matter was stamp collecting, knitting machines, or origami styles.

That realisation sortof deflates the whole argument, and gives me a big smile. This is *so* much about DAW quality [NOT!].

I'm a perfectionist, and perfect is a skinned knee.
OldGeezer
RE: Match that, Cakewalk! 2008/05/02 05:49:20 (permalink)

Not me...when someone mentions Reaper I think of childish morons. Now that's brand recognition.

And when I see the "Rock America Records" logo, I think of petulant losers...now that's advertising.
Poodle
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 22
RE: Match that, Cakewalk! 2008/05/02 06:17:43 (permalink)
Reaper seems to have a super neat technological platform that it's built on, no doubt. But hey guys how many of these Sonar vs. X DAW threads shall we have here??? There's always a DAW out there better than Sonar on something but this is not the place to discuss it really. Most people here have already chosen a DAW so lets stop this fanboi **** right now guys.

Reaper is great and I'm looking forward to see how it will evolve but lets talk about making music with Sonar now (as last time I checked this was a Sonar forum). Though I welcome information how Sonar can work together with Reaper. A moderator should really lock this one down imo.
post edited by Poodle - 2008/05/02 06:21:28

You want my chewing gum to push in your heart.
dappa1
Max Output Level: -46 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2949
RE: Match that, Cakewalk! 2008/05/02 07:44:28 (permalink)
NO!

we should not lock it down. It is informative and as they say it is good to know what the competition is doing, and applauding its good points does not take away, or make the app that you use useless. Unless you are very fragile minded as AJ has shown in his post, where he had a bit of a breakdown. I think he is from the UK and he is probably having a cup of tea right now. just playing I like AJ!

But I think Cakewalk understand the competition and probably think "hey they are talking about Reaper lets see what they have to say". And it may give them ideas to make their app better. Sonar is very good, Cubase is very good so are all the other apps on the market non of them have gone into liquidation far as I know. And I for one would not think it a sin to have two or three DAWs sitting on my pc. Or have a pc sitting next to a MAC working on Pro Tools while the pc is on and Sonar flickering in the background. AJ do you think that would be wrong of me!!!
Richard Brian
RE: Match that, Cakewalk! 2008/05/02 08:54:21 (permalink)
And when I see the "Rock America Records" logo, I think of petulant losers...now that's advertising.

lol..you guys don't disappoint..you just continue to prove my point and reinforce my opinion.
Mr Clean
RE: Match that, Cakewalk! 2008/05/02 09:07:55 (permalink)
I think it's the title of the thread that gets every Sonar fans back up immediately. I mean Match that, Cakewalk! is a bold statement asking for trouble on a Cakewalk forum.

But a healthy discussion on the pro's and con's of alternate software, that can be used in conjunction with Sonar is a good thing. Be it Reaper, Reason, or whatever. Other peoples knowledge goes a long way for those that don't know ;)
HotCoollMusicGirl
RE: Match that, Cakewalk! 2008/05/02 09:17:28 (permalink)
I agree the thread's title is unfortunate. It's bothered me that I might appear to be endorsing its attitude, especially since I'm often critical of Sonar and also sympathetic to Reaper.

But Sonar is of course my current platform of choice, so being critical of it is my duty!
Mr Clean
RE: Match that, Cakewalk! 2008/05/02 09:30:44 (permalink)
Software developers need critics to improve, as with every other aspect of life.
AJ_0000
RE: Match that, Cakewalk! 2008/05/02 09:47:45 (permalink)
The original poster was being sarcastic. He was criticizing Reaper. Unfortunately, those for whom Reaper is apparently some sort of "cause" seem to have let that fly right over their heads. Never pass up an opportunity to solicit new users I guess.
xackley
Max Output Level: -45.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2973
RE: Match that, Cakewalk! 2008/05/02 10:02:24 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: ChristopherM

I just read the KVR (weekly e-mail) Newsletter - it contains not one (1), but two (2) notifications of updates to Reaper. Fairly early in the list we get "Cockos updates REAPER to v2.202". Towards the end we get "Cockos updates REAPER to v2.203 for Windows ...".

I have seen the future ... and it involves rather too frequent updates of software. Whatever happened to the doctrine of RFT?

PS - Anyone know whether Greg "12 toes" Hendershott has figured out who is behind the Cockos Org yet? "Jason, Justin, Jasus ... I know it begins with letter J or something like that anyways"

If ... err ... that's When I grow up, I hope to live under a bridge and scare billy goats gruff for a living.

Ah, this thread was started by someone criticizing reaper's open development and update cycle. It is hard to understand from a $179 version x.0.0 every October, that requires a stability patch in early November, point of view. Someday reaper's development will slow down, be stuck in the mud, and a new zealot developer/application will come along. No big deal.
Sonar is a very good tool, things are changing, no way to know the future, but that doesn't mean we need to keep a narrow focus. And Sonar 8 may be so good that CW will have a tool to corner the market, making an end to any discussion of which tool does which job better.

Edit

The original poster was being sarcastic. He was criticizing Reaper. Unfortunately, those for whom Reaper is apparently some sort of "cause" seem to have let that fly right over their heads. Never pass up an opportunity to solicit new users I guess.

No one is soliciting new users, "The facts ma,m just the facts", just clarifying and resolving misunderstandings.
post edited by xackley - 2008/05/02 10:06:11

Van Gogh, seeing more that a vase of flowers.
http://www.vggallery.com
Newer Song "River", let me know if you don't like it.
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=162668
Roflcopter
Max Output Level: -7.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 6767
RE: Match that, Cakewalk! 2008/05/02 10:16:18 (permalink)

Do you know if there's a Mac version?

I'm a perfectionist, and perfect is a skinned knee.
Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 5 of 7
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1