Helpful ReplyNow Playing ...

Page: << < ..3132333435.. > >> Showing page 33 of 43
Author
Moshkito
Max Output Level: -37.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3765
Re: Now Playing ... 2017/05/05 13:42:00 (permalink)
sharke
Check out the chords in the opening music to Double Indemnity - fabulous. 

Get a couple of CD's ... that are totally awesome ... 

Bernard Herrman's soundtracks for many of the Sci-Fi films! AN ABSOLUTE must have! Some of the greatest music of the 20th century for me.

Carl Stalling's 2 CD's! He did most of the music for the Warner Bros' cartoons. Listening to these on CD without the cartoon is ... a very different experience, and you sit there and try to look for a cohesive link in all the pieces and there isn't one, because that link is visual, not musical! It's an AWESOME exercise on how to listen to music and appreciate its flexibility ... the guy was definitely insane!

If you get the chance, get from Amazon, a used copy of "Cartoon Music" book ... and you will be amazed at all the names associated with it. And it might even change your appreciation in music all around some, since now, it's almost like ... the music must have some visual content, and lyrics are not enough anymore!

Music is not about notes and chords! My poem is not about the computer or monitor or letters! It's about how I was able to translate it from my insides! 
Moshkito
Re: Now Playing ... 2017/05/05 13:53:58 (permalink)
Hi,

Other fabulous soundtracks: (not in order_)

Little Buddha - Ryuichi Sakamoto
The Last Emperor - Ryuichi Sakamoto and David Byrne
Before the Rain - Anastasia (never found this band's material anywhere, btw!)
Blade Runner - Vangelis
Performance - Randy Newman, Mick Jagger, Merry Clayton, Jack Nietsche and others
The Double Life of Veronique - Zbigniew Preisner 
The Lover - Gabriel Yared
2001 A Space Odyssey - Various
Dr. Zhivago - Maurice Jarre
Some Nino Rota, although I can not name specific soundtracks right off the bat.
Journey of Hope - Terje Rypdal, Jan Garbarek and some more ECM artists
The Last of the Mohicans - Various
The Pillow Book - Various organized by Brian Eno
Not Mozart - Various composers. Satirical film off its rocker!
200 Motels - The Suites - Frank Zappa done with orchestra and choir. The last part of this, specially, is the best choir work I have ever heard! The whole thing is impressive and amazing!

Many more ... just not in my head right now!

Music is not about notes and chords! My poem is not about the computer or monitor or letters! It's about how I was able to translate it from my insides! 
craigb
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 41704
Re: Now Playing ... 2017/05/05 16:44:54 (permalink)
I prefer the works of John Williams personally.

(Though Danny Elfman has done some really good stuff as well!)

Time for all of you to head over to Beyond My DAW!
jamesg1213
  • Total Posts : 21760
Re: Now Playing ... 2017/05/05 20:06:24 (permalink)
Tull in their misjudged white jumpsuit period ..love this song though. I like the story about the roadies moving Eddie Jobson's keyboards further apart before a gig, so he couldn't reach them both  I paid a small fortune for a VHS copy of this vid back then. Still got it.

Jyemz

Thrombold's Patented Brisk Weather Pantaloonettes with Inclementometer
Moshkito
Re: Now Playing ... 2017/05/06 12:54:09 (permalink)
craigb

Danny has done more Cartoon Music than most anyone you ever heard!

JW is not an "original" composer, per se. His "Star Wars" stands out nicely, however, after one or two pieces, the rest of the Soundtrack is quite a bit of filler for the film, and not clear-cut music that was meant to be heard, and it was obvious that Lucas was only interested in a big blow title to catch audiences unawares, as that theme blared really loud in theaters that even had speakers UNDER your seats, when it first came out ... so you would feel like it was a bigger experience, and get a huge rush off the sound effects, which were dispersed really well over the whole theater, a throwback to many bands already using the "quadraphonic" sound on stage for audiences to get excited.

The stuff I mentioned, is much more ... way up there ... and not just some kind of theme music for 3 minutes, like most soundtracks are. Bernard Herrmann soundtracks, can all be listened to separate from the films, as Hitchcock many times only used a portion of it, and sometimes lowered the volume of the rest and then cut it off as the scene continued. When you hear the Sci-Fi soundtracks by Herrmann, you will be surprised ... it is masterful music, by an obvious composer, instead of a fill'er jingle writer.

Massive difference.

You will see/learn about this, when you listen to Carl Stalling CD's away from the cartoons ... you can't even mane the cartoon the piece of music was for ... and you've seen them all!

That's the greatest trick of all in music ... fool your listener into thinking nothing, or something else. But JW's work has suffered from a director that did not know how to use music at all, and Lucas is not a good example in that area at all, when compared to the masters in that area, like David Lean, Stanley Kubrick, Nicolas Roeg, Werner Herzog, and a handful of others that have strewn the music they used so well, that you almost thought that it was a total part of the film itself! And in all cases, most of the music was its own alone. But try listening to Maurice Jarre ... and realize where that famous theme came from! You probably have not seen that film, as it is not exactly an action film, and its focus is so strong on the acting, as to almost make it boring for many a viewer, specially in America, where a couple of reviewers hated the film, but the Academy got its revenge ... the film took many honors! Maurice Jarre, btw, is the father of the younger Jarre (Oxygene) and is also the only composer in film history to win an Oscar with conventional music and then also win an Oscar with completely digital composition later ... no one else has ever done that in film history. 

It ought to tell you what is more important ... and how the music is a difference maker! Not just an addon!

sharke
  • Total Posts : 13933
Re: Now Playing ... 2017/05/07 07:05:20 (permalink)
I always liked the music in old cartoons. It amazes me how well they coordinated it with the animation (or rather, the other way around). 

James
Windows 10, Sonar SPlat (64-bit), Intel i7-4930K, 32GB RAM, RME Babyface, AKAI MPK Mini, Roland A-800 Pro, Focusrite VRM Box, Komplete 10 Ultimate, 2012 American Telecaster!
sharke
Re: Now Playing ... 2017/05/07 18:57:09 (permalink)
I'll tell you what though, Peggy Seeger's voice at 80 years old is something else.....

James
Windows 10, Sonar SPlat (64-bit), Intel i7-4930K, 32GB RAM, RME Babyface, AKAI MPK Mini, Roland A-800 Pro, Focusrite VRM Box, Komplete 10 Ultimate, 2012 American Telecaster!
craigb
Re: Now Playing ... 2017/05/07 19:40:21 (permalink)
Moshkito
craigb

Danny has done more Cartoon Music than most anyone you ever heard!

JW is not an "original" composer, per se. His "Star Wars" stands out nicely, however, after one or two pieces, the rest of the Soundtrack is quite a bit of filler for the film, and not clear-cut music that was meant to be heard, and it was obvious that Lucas was only interested in a big blow title to catch audiences unawares, as that theme blared really loud in theaters that even had speakers UNDER your seats, when it first came out ... so you would feel like it was a bigger experience, and get a huge rush off the sound effects, which were dispersed really well over the whole theater, a throwback to many bands already using the "quadraphonic" sound on stage for audiences to get excited.

The stuff I mentioned, is much more ... way up there ... and not just some kind of theme music for 3 minutes, like most soundtracks are. Bernard Herrmann soundtracks, can all be listened to separate from the films, as Hitchcock many times only used a portion of it, and sometimes lowered the volume of the rest and then cut it off as the scene continued. When you hear the Sci-Fi soundtracks by Herrmann, you will be surprised ... it is masterful music, by an obvious composer, instead of a fill'er jingle writer.

Massive difference.

You will see/learn about this, when you listen to Carl Stalling CD's away from the cartoons ... you can't even mane the cartoon the piece of music was for ... and you've seen them all!

That's the greatest trick of all in music ... fool your listener into thinking nothing, or something else. But JW's work has suffered from a director that did not know how to use music at all, and Lucas is not a good example in that area at all, when compared to the masters in that area, like David Lean, Stanley Kubrick, Nicolas Roeg, Werner Herzog, and a handful of others that have strewn the music they used so well, that you almost thought that it was a total part of the film itself! And in all cases, most of the music was its own alone. But try listening to Maurice Jarre ... and realize where that famous theme came from! You probably have not seen that film, as it is not exactly an action film, and its focus is so strong on the acting, as to almost make it boring for many a viewer, specially in America, where a couple of reviewers hated the film, but the Academy got its revenge ... the film took many honors! Maurice Jarre, btw, is the father of the younger Jarre (Oxygene) and is also the only composer in film history to win an Oscar with conventional music and then also win an Oscar with completely digital composition later ... no one else has ever done that in film history. 

It ought to tell you what is more important ... and how the music is a difference maker! Not just an addon!

John Williams has done a LOT more than Star Wars and Danny Elfman's main movie genre is the B-Movie type (with a lot more to his credit than just the Simpson's theme).  Adding to this list, I also like Phillip Glass.

jamesg1213
Re: Now Playing ... 2017/05/07 19:53:35 (permalink)

Jyemz

jamesg1213
Re: Now Playing ... 2017/05/08 20:20:11 (permalink)
Nice...what a voice Jimmy Barnes has.

Jyemz

craigb
Re: Now Playing ... 2017/05/09 05:53:22 (permalink)
Been listening to the new double CD from Mostly Autumn.  This song sounds like it could be the theme for a James Bond movie!

Moshkito
Re: Now Playing ... 2017/05/09 11:35:22 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby sharke 2017/05/09 22:33:15
sharke
I always liked the music in old cartoons. It amazes me how well they coordinated it with the animation (or rather, the other way around). 

Read the Cartoon Music book ... your appreciation will increase! 

Mesh
  • Total Posts : 27360
Re: Now Playing ... 2017/05/12 15:32:25 (permalink)

Platinum Gaming DAW: AsRock Z77 Overclock Formula
I7 3770k @ 4.5GHz : 16GB RAM G.Skill Ripjaws X
250GB OS SSD : 3TB HDD : 1TB Sample HDD
Win 10 Pro x 64 : NH-D14 CPU Cooler 
HIS IceQ  2GB HD 7870
Focusrite Scarlett 2i4
The_Forum_Monkeys
jamesg1213
Re: Now Playing ... 2017/05/12 16:27:30 (permalink)
Mesh

I went to see him live in February, not really my cuppa tea but he puts on a great show and has a superb band.

Jyemz

Mesh
Re: Now Playing ... 2017/05/12 16:58:29 (permalink)
I actually accidentally ran into this video on YT and immediately thought of you......the recording is excellent. His other songs seemed 'ok', but didn't really do much for me either. 

HIS IceQ  2GB HD 7870
Focusrite Scarlett 2i4
The_Forum_Monkeys
jamesg1213
Re: Now Playing ... 2017/05/12 17:06:43 (permalink)
Mesh
I actually accidentally ran into this video on YT and immediately thought of you......the recording is excellent. His other songs seemed 'ok', but didn't really do much for me either. 

He's had an odd career trajectory...became known very young as a virtuoso accordion player, working with a band of much older guys. He's now become a huge-selling artist in Ireland, kind of a country/pop/folk Michael Buble'. Very popular with ladies of a certain age, judging by the concert I went too.

Jyemz

Mesh
Re: Now Playing ... 2017/05/12 17:15:58 (permalink)
jamesg1213
Mesh

He's had an odd career trajectory...became known very young as a virtuoso accordion player, working with a band of much older guys. He's now become a huge-selling artist in Ireland, kind of a country/pop/folk Michael Buble'. Very popular with ladies of a certain age, judging by the concert I went too.

It was that "pop" feel to it that put me off.....otherwise, pretty good stuff. Personally, I prefer the traditional Irish/Scottish folk songs.
Thanks for the details....I really didn't know anything about him.  

HIS IceQ  2GB HD 7870
Focusrite Scarlett 2i4
The_Forum_Monkeys
jamesg1213
Re: Now Playing ... 2017/05/12 17:24:28 (permalink)
Mesh
Personally, I prefer the traditional Irish/Scottish folk songs.

How about these?

Wolfstone do a more 'rocked-up' kind of Scottish folk, tremendous live band but they've gone very quiet the last few years.

Jyemz

Mesh
Re: Now Playing ... 2017/05/12 18:07:58 (permalink)
Yes, that's some good stuff, but I was thinking more on these lines:

HIS IceQ  2GB HD 7870
Focusrite Scarlett 2i4
The_Forum_Monkeys
sharke
Re: Now Playing ... 2017/05/15 03:42:32 (permalink)
Bit of a change of gear here. I love this Steely Dan song from their underrated Two Against Nature album from 2000. The chords are great and the arrangement exquisite - some really rich harmonies in there and the horn parts are written beautifully. Very well played guitar parts too. 

James
sharke
Re: Now Playing ... 2017/05/17 05:46:39 (permalink)
I've been reading Tove Jansson's Moomintroll books recently (if you haven't read them, you're missing out. They're delightful kid's books which are great fun for adults too). Anyway that got me to thinking about the kid's animated version of the books which was on UK TV in the early 80's, and I remembered the enchanting theme tune to it and had to look for it. Here it is, what a nicely odd and evocative little piece of music which fit the show perfectly. It's by Graeme Miller and Steve Shill, and there's a whole album of their quirky little Moomintroll pieces. I love them. 

James
Glyn Barnes
Max Output Level: -0.3 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 7564
Re: Now Playing ... 2017/05/18 19:26:22 (permalink)
I mentioned the Panic Room "Offical Bootlegs" in another thread but now they have released a preview of their upcoming live DVD

Great sound on this one, I am really looking forward to receiving the DVD and rest of goodies I will get for participating in the project crowd funding.

Intel i7 3770K @4.4GHz, 32GB RAM, 240GB SSD System disk, 2 x 2TB and 1 x 1TB (with SSD Cache) HDD. Windows 10,  Sonar Platinum. Roland Quad Capture. 
Music - Switchwater on Soundclick
Music - Goldry Bluszco on Soundcloud
Glyn Barnes
Re: Now Playing ... 2017/05/18 19:34:42 (permalink)
And here is Panic Room's Ann Marie Helder and Jonathan Edwards "Luna Rossa" covering Todd Rundgen's "Tiny Demons"

Intel i7 3770K @4.4GHz, 32GB RAM, 240GB SSD System disk, 2 x 2TB and 1 x 1TB (with SSD Cache) HDD. Windows 10,  Sonar Platinum. Roland Quad Capture. 
Glyn Barnes
Re: Now Playing ... 2017/05/18 20:02:36 (permalink)
And more panic Room related stuff. Dave Foster (guitar) and Yatim Halimi (Bass) in their other role in Steve Rothery's band.

cotvert8
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3
Re: Now Playing ... 2017/05/19 00:55:53 (permalink)
I am now listening to the radio :)

Glyn Barnes
Re: Now Playing ... 2017/05/20 19:04:55 (permalink)
More Ann-Marie Helder, this time in a supporting roll in Icon with John Wetton & Geoff Downes. 

jamesg1213
Re: Now Playing ... 2017/05/20 20:09:52 (permalink)
This is an old favourite;

Extraordinary tone from JB's Les Paul on this tune, and that grin from Bogie Bowles at 6:26 says it all.

Jyemz

Bhav
Max Output Level: -73 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 887
Re: Now Playing ... 2017/05/22 04:49:20 (permalink)

I just like the video, it makes my brain go all tingly and wierd.

I7 6850k, Asus RV10E, 32 Gb ram, SLI GTX 980 Ti, Creative Soundblaster Z, Yamaha DGX 630, Creative Aurvana Platinum headphones.
craigb
Re: Now Playing ... 2017/05/22 10:19:14 (permalink)

Here.  Take these.

Mesh
Re: Now Playing ... 2017/05/22 13:24:56 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby jamesg1213 2017/05/22 17:11:28
Talk about an excellent 3 piece band.

HIS IceQ  2GB HD 7870
Focusrite Scarlett 2i4
The_Forum_Monkeys
Page: << < ..3132333435.. > >> Showing page 33 of 43
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1