Helpful ReplyO.T. GT FORUM CHAT

Page: << < ..2122232425.. > >> Showing page 25 of 27
Author
SteveStrummerUK
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 31112
RE: O.T. GT FORUM CHAT? 2008/12/06 21:23:16 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: SteveStrummerUK

ORIGINAL: Doc_Hollingsworth

You know Strummy, your are certainly falling down on the job, mate. No inquisition? No arguments? No quips at all? I say, old bean its time to get with the game! Chop,chop! come on now man! We can't let this thread die a ignoble death!

I have nothing worthwhile to say at the moment Doc.

Shall I just bump it for later?

I can't believe this nearly dropped off the edge

Music:     The Coffee House BandVeRy MeTaL

Doc_Hollingsworth
Max Output Level: -52.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2289
RE: O.T. GT FORUM CHAT? 2008/12/08 15:19:04 (permalink)
I'll say. A bit reticent on your part, old bean.

Doc
MacBook Pro 15.4 Retina (mid 2015)
Focusrite Clarett 8PreX & OctoPre
Logic Pro X 10.2.4/Reason 9.2/Pro Tools 12.7
Long haired dachshund - requisite studio dog (no short hairs need apply - read the sign)

RobertB
  • Total Posts : 11256
RE: O.T. GT FORUM CHAT? 2008/12/08 21:05:28 (permalink)
It's a 25 page thread... gets kind of heavy.
Solzenytsin would be proud.

My Soundclick Page
SONAR Professional, X3eStudio,W7 64bit, AMD Athlon IIx4 2.8Ghz, 4GB RAM, 64bit, AKAI EIE Pro, Nektar Impact LX61,Alesis DM6,Alesis ControlPad,Yamaha MG10/2,Alesis M1Mk2 monitors,Samson Servo300,assorted guitars,Lava Lamp

Shimozu-Kushiari or Bob
Doc_Hollingsworth
RE: O.T. GT FORUM CHAT? 2008/12/09 12:46:33 (permalink)
I think that John Cleese would be mortified with the mixing of English humour with good old Yankee redneck and city slicker humor.

Doc
Long haired dachshund - requisite studio dog (no short hairs need apply - read the sign)

SteveStrummerUK
RE: O.T. GT FORUM CHAT? 2008/12/09 14:43:21 (permalink)

I think that John Cleese would be mortified with the mixing of English humour with good old Yankee redneck and city slicker humor.

Ne'er a truer word spoken Doc

And Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn would surely approve of each and every one of Pete's contributions

jamesg1213
  • Total Posts : 21760
RE: O.T. GT FORUM CHAT? 2008/12/09 15:39:01 (permalink)

And Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn would surely approve of each and every one of Pete's contributions

....as would Timmy Mallett.

Jyemz

Thrombold's Patented Brisk Weather Pantaloonettes with Inclementometer
SteveStrummerUK
RE: O.T. GT FORUM CHAT? 2008/12/09 18:05:31 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: jamesg1213

....as would Timmy Mallett.

cjlinus
Max Output Level: -82 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 446
RE: O.T. GT FORUM CHAT? 2008/12/12 18:03:56 (permalink)
STeve,

This is off the off topic but... I have played around briefly with Sonar and found out that I can load a synth and it shows up with each output on it's own track. I haven't found a way to do that it SHS. Sonar has a lot of trick that look promising but I'll need a lot of practice and paitence to get good at it. Thanks for letting me know about the $39 upgrade, it made my mind up on getting the product plus I can use SHS on a laptop to do remote tracking and have Sonar desktop for production work.

When I was a kid we had to use Portastudios, uphill! both ways!!

Listen to my songs here
SteveStrummerUK
RE: O.T. GT FORUM CHAT? 2008/12/13 18:14:32 (permalink)

Hi there CJ

If I'm reading your question right, your problem with multi-outs from the synths is most likely down to a known bug in HS7.

They're working on it now mate - check THIS THREAD for the latest news on when we're getting the 7.01 patch to put it right.

I'm glad you got the upgrade CJ - seriously though, if I were you, I'd put S8 on both of your computers! HS7 is a good entry product but, unless Cake are going to start changing SONAR around anytime now (which I doubt), I really see HS7 as a dead-end.

You're better off learning SONAR 8 straight off in my honest opinion - I'm ditching HS7 now I've got S8, I can't see the point of running 'em both.

BTW, I'm pretty sure the EULA alloes you to install SONAR on two different machines, providing you're not running them simultaneously.

Steve

RobertB
RE: O.T. GT FORUM CHAT? 2008/12/13 19:22:48 (permalink)
Copy that. You can have it (Sonar 8) on both machines, if you only run one at a time.
It's sad, really. Home Studio 6 was a solid performer, and SHS7 cut its legs off.
I started out with SHS4, and moved t SHS6XL. I was very pleased with those. As it stands, SHS7 is the best advertising Cubase has.

My Soundclick Page
SONAR Professional, X3eStudio,W7 64bit, AMD Athlon IIx4 2.8Ghz, 4GB RAM, 64bit, AKAI EIE Pro, Nektar Impact LX61,Alesis DM6,Alesis ControlPad,Yamaha MG10/2,Alesis M1Mk2 monitors,Samson Servo300,assorted guitars,Lava Lamp

Shimozu-Kushiari or Bob
SteveStrummerUK
RE: O.T. GT FORUM CHAT? 2008/12/14 15:11:03 (permalink)

Bob, I still don't get it you know.

Although it soon became clear that HS7 was definitely not for me, I at least agreed with Cake that it would still stand on its own as a great entry level product to the Cakewalk family.

However, as I say above, it now seems to me that it's a dead-end product - there isn't a logical next step to SONAR. As a GT and HS6XL user, I'm finding S8 much easier to work with than HS7 because, although it's obviously more sophisticated, it's still very familiar.

From hanging around the MC forum, and from my previous experience of MCPro24, I'd say if I had a straight choice when I decided to upgrade from GT (for the MIDI thang) I'd would choose MC4 over HS7 everytime.

The one thing I'm glad about is that it did get me to SONAR a version or two earlier than I probably would have.

RobertB
RE: O.T. GT FORUM CHAT? 2008/12/14 15:43:23 (permalink)
there isn't a logical next step to SONAR.

That is what bugs me the most, Steve.
GTP, MC, SHS6, and Sonar share a similar interface. Once you master the basics, it is relatively easy to move up, because the environment is familiar. Music Creator is the real entry level, and I am surprised they chose to alter a strong midrange product to make it more appealing to new users. I think allowing a user to choose between a "beginner" and "advanced" format might have been a good call. As it is, I don't see that SHS7 prepares a new user for Sonar, since you have to get used to a very different format. Not that moving to Sonar is required, but I think an entry level product should prepare a user for the more advanced version, if he/she feels that they need more advanced features.
SHS6 provided some nice enhancements over SHS4. Sure, the learning curve was fairly vertical, but these were very powerful programs. They delivered strong performance and versatility, at an affordable price point.
I'm sure SHS7 is fine for what it is, but I'm not convinced it's what it could have been. It seems somewhat of an orphan in the grand scheme of things.

My Soundclick Page

Shimozu-Kushiari or Bob
Doc_Hollingsworth
RE: O.T. GT FORUM CHAT? 2008/12/15 11:15:46 (permalink)
Hmmmm. Is anyone a Cakewalk listneing?

I say this because I have to ask if Cakewalk would entertain a beta program for select users. I am sure there are some prereqs that they can come up with. But it sure would help them when looking at modifying a product so heavily. Better to know what the user opinion is before going all nip tuck on a product that has been a standby for so long....

Doc

pistolpete
Max Output Level: -59.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1584
RE: O.T. GT FORUM CHAT? 2008/12/15 20:00:10 (permalink)

Hmmmm. Is anyone a Cakewalk listneing?

If the are, then they just don't care.
(unless you've bought their top of the line expensive products.)
cjlinus
RE: O.T. GT FORUM CHAT? 2008/12/15 20:40:14 (permalink)
Well, I have to admit that I don't see SHS7 as all that horrible a program. I like it way better than QBase. I am glad that I paid the extra $40 for Sonar though because it does seem more familiar than SHS7. So far I've managed to make both midi and audio tracks work which is father along than I though I might be by now.

To the point about SHS7 fitting in to the grand marketing scheme, I don't really see why they are offering what seems to be a version of Garage Band instead of an honest mid level version of Sonar either. I haven't looked at MC but it sounds like it's based around working with midi. If that's true then why don't they keep upgrading the entry level products, GT and MC, issue a dumbed down mid level product that maybe has the customization features disabled as well as more limited routing schemes, and then have the full on Sonar versions to fill the professional nitch?

Listen to my songs here
Doc_Hollingsworth
RE: O.T. GT FORUM CHAT? 2008/12/16 10:09:37 (permalink)
Actually all they need in the recording line up is 4 products and then maybe 3 or 4 module packs. The 4 products would be:

Sonar Lite Edition for entry level - along with a good guide for recording and PC optimization
Sonar Mobile Edition - for the step up but geared for the mobile/home recording studio
Sonar Studio - Just like it is
Sonar Premium Edition - the full monty

A guitar/bass pack - which would include a good amp modeler and a good set of effects
A keyboards pack - which would include select additional soft instruments like Rapture
A drum/percussion pack which would add additional samples and MIDI grooves
A beat pack - which would add in drum, percussion and bass loops and maybe kinetic
A Conversion/Burn pack - Pyro Audio Creator.

Just my 10 cents worth....

Doc

SteveStrummerUK
RE: O.T. GT FORUM CHAT? 2008/12/16 11:45:07 (permalink)

Actually all they need in the recording line up is 4 products and then maybe 3 or 4 module packs. The 4 products would be:

Sonar Lite Edition for entry level - along with a good guide for recording and PC optimization
Sonar Mobile Edition - for the step up but geared for the mobile/home recording studio
Sonar Studio - Just like it is
Sonar Premium Edition - the full monty

A guitar/bass pack - which would include a good amp modeler and a good set of effects
A keyboards pack - which would include select additional soft instruments like Rapture
A drum/percussion pack which would add additional samples and MIDI grooves
A beat pack - which would add in drum, percussion and bass loops and maybe kinetic
A Conversion/Burn pack - Pyro Audio Creator.

Just my 10 cents worth....

Makes a lot of sense Doc - at least the customer would know exactly where they stood.

And I know both Bob and myself have discussed the idea of a modular approach.

As you know, I've just got SONAR 8 Studio - I'd love the suite of mixing/mastering plugs that ship with S8PE but very little else at the moment. In other words, if I could just purchase a Mastering Suite module I'd have snathched their hand off by now.

Still, you never know - the offer we got to upgrade from HS7 to S8SE shows that the bakers really do listen to what their loyal customers are saying about the products.

cjlinus
RE: O.T. GT FORUM CHAT? 2009/01/10 20:07:15 (permalink)
Steve,

I never did figure out why my reverbs have a poping noise. The Sonitus stuff seems to work alright and my old GT reverb plug is unaffected as well, that gives me enough choice to work. I was pleasently suprised to find out that every plugin that has come with a Cake product still works fine in Sonar. I actually do still use Amp sim, the one that came with my original GT2, it's fun on a snare drum .

Listen to my songs here
Doc_Hollingsworth
RE: O.T. GT FORUM CHAT? The odd and unusual 2009/02/04 09:34:28 (permalink)
A guitar related MIDI device (not MIDI guitar)
post edited by Doc_Hollingsworth - 2009/02/04 09:35:47

Doc

FingerBone Bill
Max Output Level: -80 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 517
RE: O.T. GT FORUM CHAT? The odd and unusual 2009/02/04 16:37:24 (permalink)

So if I'm fingerpicking I'll need three of those?

FingerBone's Music

Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level then beat you with experience.
Doc_Hollingsworth
RE: O.T. GT FORUM CHAT? The odd and unusual 2009/02/05 09:30:39 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: FingerBone Bill

Maybe even five. Next will be the MIDI glove to record fretting hand input.

Doc

FingerBone Bill
Max Output Level: -80 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 517
RE: O.T. GT FORUM CHAT? The odd and unusual 2009/02/05 16:30:29 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: FingerBone Bill

Maybe even five. Next will be the MIDI glove to record fretting hand input.

Patent that idea quick doc!

FingerBone's Music

Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level then beat you with experience.
Doc_Hollingsworth
RE: O.T. GT FORUM CHAT? The odd and unusual 2009/02/12 10:30:16 (permalink)
Well the patent office refused the patent for the MIDI glove. Seems some bloke named Shaduz from Bologna, Itally has already been there and done that. Shame I thought it would have been kind of novel........

Doc

Jessie Sammler
Max Output Level: -54 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2111
RE: O.T. GT FORUM CHAT? The odd and unusual 2009/03/25 20:35:04 (permalink)
Things have been shaken up a bit lately. The GTP3 forum is so matter-of-fact now, and it's the other forums that are silly? What happened?

Look what's going on out there:

Another forum's silliness.
SteveStrummerUK
RE: O.T. GT FORUM CHAT? The odd and unusual 2009/03/25 20:45:28 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Jessie Sammler

Things have been shaken up a bit lately. The GTP3 forum is so matter-of-fact now, and it's the other forums that are silly? What happened?

We've all growed up and became maturer and are acting our age Jessie.

That'll be it.

I should imagine.

ohgrant
Max Output Level: -35.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3966
RE: O.T. GT FORUM CHAT? The odd and unusual 2009/03/25 21:43:23 (permalink)
Hi folks, about 12 years ago my PRS took a stage dive when a drunken lady tripped over the chord, a crack started in back where the tremolo attaches to the body. It got so bad I had to glue it and shim it to be as playable as possible; it was in pretty sad condition. I looked for several years for a replacement body and finally found a great replacement last week. I now remember why I fell in love with this thing when I walked out of the store with it 20 years ago. Here are some before and after pics.

Me

Jessie Sammler
Max Output Level: -54 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2111
RE: O.T. GT FORUM CHAT? The odd and unusual 2009/03/26 02:44:25 (permalink)

That'll be it.

I should imagine.

This is something up with which I shall not put, sir.

Grant, that's a beautiful PRS body. You can't go wrong with vintage sunburst.
ohgrant
Max Output Level: -35.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3966
RE: O.T. GT FORUM CHAT? The odd and unusual 2009/03/26 07:11:47 (permalink)
Thanks Jessie, I like the sunburst as well, sure is good to have the action and intonation back.

Me

Doc_Hollingsworth
RE: O.T. GT FORUM CHAT? The odd and unusual 2009/03/26 10:33:30 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Jessie Sammler

That'll be it.

I should imagine.

This is something up with which I shall not put, sir.

Now we'll have none of that, lass!

Doc

Doc_Hollingsworth
RE: O.T. GT FORUM CHAT? The odd and unusual 2009/03/26 10:35:13 (permalink)
Grant,

Good to see that your PRS is sounding better. But I think I would have thrown a fit if someone was daft enough to knock over my guitar. I mean it's one thing if you do it to your own guitar. Quite another when someone else does it.

Doc

Page: << < ..2122232425.. > >> Showing page 25 of 27
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1