Helpful ReplyReaper is an awsome DAW "PERIOD" License $60

Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 2 of 10
Author
Max Output Level: -76 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 729
Re: Reaper is awsome for a $60 DAW 2017/11/25 23:28:05 (permalink)
Fabio Rubato
Will Melodyne Studio work in it? 

What about VST3's? 

Not like you are used to in DAWs with ARA integration. But you can use it.

VST3's are fine

Intel i7 4790 @3.6Ghz - 32GB Ram - Windows 10 Pro 64bit - RME Fireface UFX+
Studio One 4 Professional, REAPER, CbB-(Couldnb't be Bothered)
More Plugs than Plumbers Warehouse.

Happy Studio One User Since August 2015

"It's the entertainment value, the comic relief . . . plus the Software and Deals Forum"

glazfolk
Max Output Level: -22.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5253
Re: Reaper is awsome for a $60 DAW 2017/11/25 23:53:52 (permalink)
Oh, and I'll just add that there's no shortage of ex-Sonar users in the REAPER community who'll be only too happy to help anyone who wants help in migrating.

Geoff Francis - Huon Delta Studios

AMD Opteron 246 2GHZ twin CPU
Tyan S2875 AVRF Dual M'board
2 Gig RAM, Three Monitors w NVIDIA GeForce FX5700
Alesis iO26, 2 NTFS Seagate HD
DigitalDesign Speakers
Serious_Noize!
Max Output Level: -72 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 950
Re: Reaper is awsome for a $60 DAW 2017/11/26 00:04:49 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby som_c 2017/12/07 16:34:07
Reaper is a great Daw. I've piddled with it the last few years. But the problem for me as I would think with so many others is the that at least for me after making a few changes to my system "Sonar Pro", or Sonar has been working without any flaws. But then again, considering the way Windows 10 which is the operating system that I am using updates, it's just a matter of time I suspect before one update breaks or changes all of that. 

I mentioned Reaper myself in the last few days. But the problem I have with Reaper is their lack of the main essentials which is a ROCK SOLID THEME.  I've seen all their theme's and tried them out, and tried the custom settings and all that stuff. But the problem with all that is you find yourself instead of sitting down to record music, you find yourself paying too much attention to the LOOK and FEEL of REAPER. I got used to the Cakewalk theme and feel of it. Nothing will replace it. It was affordable and usable. 

As for Reaper, until somebody comes out with a Reaper theme that is identical to Cakewalk's Sonar Pro, I tried it, but I wont be using it. 

Generic JS plugin's, no wrappers and after looking at the daw for years and trying it they always end up with just JS scripts to use, very GENERIC looking and confusing. It doesn't matter if they function how they are supposed to, the wrapper on the VST/VSTI/JS Script should show some sort of helpful information or functional hints. 

I am sticking with Sonar since it's working for me now, I have made preperations on backups.

I am exactly like a lot of you, and by that I mean, I was looking elsewhere because I felt abandoned. 

But considering my Sonar Daw is working great for me now, and I have image backups made just incase the servers go down, I see no reason to change since it does all that I ask of it. 

One big problem with Reaper and you never hear it mentioned is the possibility of viruses when adding theme's. I mean really, the free for all on files and images should be checked or at least verified in some manner, or at the very least be mentioned that they have been checked some way. One way you get viruses these days is in EMAILs with IMAGES and adding a theme at Random in Reaper knowing that there IS NO REAPER VIRUS PROTECTION. It's just something to think about. JUST MY OPINION on the subject either way, not a proclamation by no means. But simply a thought. 

If Sonar is working for you, make a Image backup. That way you will have it easy to reinstall TO YOUR HARDWARE FOR NOW. But as for the future, Who knows........ Because Windows 10 if you are using it like me will sooner or later update making PERHAPS Sonar and other softwares non-functional regardless of having an Image backup. So if you wanna get serious about using Sonar/Any version, I would suggest setting it up on a separate PC RIGHT NOW and activating it and making an IMAGE BACKUP and keep that PC OFFLINE where WINDOWS 10 or any other version wont update IF IT IS WORKING PERFECT OR RIGHT. 

Oh well, I'm a little sad about the whole situation. Those are my OPINIONS and thoughts on the subject. 

Switching to Reaper just adds more files to your PC, it doesn't change anything....

Best of luck!

Dell XPS 8700, 16GB's Ram, Sonar Platinum.
Mosvalve
Max Output Level: -67 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1194
Re: Reaper is awsome for a $60 DAW 2017/11/26 00:28:59 (permalink)
Fabio Rubato

What about VST3's? 

All my VST VSt3, VSI's work fine so far

BobV 

ASUS Prime Z370-P - Intel Core i7+ 8700K 3.7GHZ 16GB Memory, Intel HD Graphics 630 GPU,  Windows 10 Pro 64bit,  , Sonar Platinum 64bit, Motu 828MK3 Hybrid, Warm Audio TB12 Pre, Warm Audio WA273 Pre, AEA RPQ 500 Pre, Warm Audio WA76 Compressor, Presonus D8 Pre, Tonelux EQ5P 500 Eq, Kush Electra 500 Eq, Lindell PEX 500 Eq, Yamaha 80M monitors with HS10W Sub,  and a bunch of other good stuff. I have a Roland Juno-106 that's looking for a new home. PM me.
the_user_formally_known_as_glennbo
Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 317
Re: Reaper is awsome for a $60 DAW 2017/11/26 02:16:49 (permalink)
I pretty much always use VST3 if both VST2 and VST3 come with a plugin.  Haven't had any problems with them so far, and I'm using Waves DBX160, Eventide Equivocate, Arturia Mini Filter, plus some plugs from iZotope, Voxengo, Blue Cat plugs, and others.

I don't have Melodyne, but I have seen on REAPER's forum that using the SWS extensions makes it easier to integrate.

Glennbo
---------------------------------------------------------
http://soundclick.com/glennbo

AdamGrossmanLG
Max Output Level: -62 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1436
Re: Reaper is awsome for a $60 DAW 2017/11/26 02:36:35 (permalink)
honestly, i cant stand the look of reaper.  its all text mostly, very cluttered with millions of settings everywhere.  just looking it at it, i dont even wanna get started with it honestly.
Re: Reaper is awsome for a $60 DAW 2017/11/26 02:47:50 (permalink)
AdamGrossmanLG
honestly, i cant stand the look of reaper.  its all text mostly, very cluttered with millions of settings everywhere.  just looking it at it, i dont even wanna get started with it honestly.

Hehe, I went to CompUSA once with my wife, and while in the area where the colored iMacs were, I noticed a salesman within earshot so I said in a loud enough voice for him to hear, "What color computer should we get honey? I hear that the RED ones are faster".   ;)

In all seriousness, I hardly ever see text in REAPER except when I'm selecting a plugin from a list. The rest of the time, it looks like the image I posted back on the first page of this thread.

Glennbo

AdamGrossmanLG
Re: Reaper is awsome for a $60 DAW 2017/11/26 02:49:34 (permalink)
lol, i do love options, but this product just seems cumbersome and not attractive.
Re: Reaper is awsome for a $60 DAW 2017/11/26 02:55:56 (permalink)
AdamGrossmanLG
lol, i do love options, but this product just seems cumbersome and not attractive.

For me the importance of things in a DAW are in this order.

1. Speed/Efficiency The more plugins I can glob on before I bring the DAW to it's knees the better, and I frequently use 100+ FX with 30+ tracks. I NEVER change the latency on my system for any reason. It's ALWAY set to 64 samples latency for 2.4/2.0ms latency in the DAW.

2. The Color!   <GGG>

Glennbo

• Total Posts : 729
Re: Reaper is awsome for a $60 DAW 2017/11/26 03:04:25 (permalink)

it looks like the image I posted back on the first page of this thread.

What is that theme by the way?

I have tried a lot of themes over the years, but mostly I end up back with the default. Unlike SONARs custom themes, which are basically the same thing with different color schemes, I do like REAPERs custom theme ability because it can change the entire look of everything and not just be the same old same old with a different color scheme.

After 3 years away from SONAR, (Moved to Studio One 3) I honestly can't stand the look of SONAR, especially that light grey/silver/blue Mercury, Tungsten was a bit better, but it still looks like crap to me, I hate being in its environment. I fired up X3 the other day to check something for someone and it almost made me physically ill just looking at it, SONAR looks so old to me now days

Intel i7 4790 @3.6Ghz - 32GB Ram - Windows 10 Pro 64bit - RME Fireface UFX+
Studio One 4 Professional, REAPER, CbB-(Couldnb't be Bothered)
More Plugs than Plumbers Warehouse.

Happy Studio One User Since August 2015

"It's the entertainment value, the comic relief . . . plus the Software and Deals Forum"

AdamGrossmanLG
Re: Reaper is awsome for a $60 DAW 2017/11/26 03:04:48 (permalink)
AdamGrossmanLG

For me the importance of things in a DAW are in this order.

1. Speed/Efficiency The more plugins I can glob on before I bring the DAW to it's knees the better, and I frequently use 100+ FX with 30+ tracks. I NEVER change the latency on my system for any reason. It's ALWAY set to 64 samples latency for 2.4/2.0ms latency in the DAW.

2. The Color!   <GGG>

me too, but this is much more than color.  the interface looks confusing.  the product just seems overly cumbersome
Re: Reaper is awsome for a $60 DAW 2017/11/26 03:14:20 (permalink)
Matron Landslide
  it looks like the image I posted back on the first page of this thread.

What is that theme by the way?

I have tried a lot of themes over the years, but mostly I end up back with the default. Unlike SONARs custom themes, which are basically the same thing with different color schemes, I do like REAPERs custom theme ability because it can change the entire look of everything and not just be the same old same old with a different color scheme.

After 3 years away from SONAR, (Moved to Studio One 3) I honestly can't stand the look of SONAR, especially that light grey/silver/blue Mercury, Tungsten was a bit better, but it still looks like crap to me, I hate being in its environment. I fired up X3 the other day to check something for someone and it almost made me physically ill just looking at it, SONAR looks so old to me now days

That theme is called LSC-Mod-Short_V3.0_Dark, and is based on White Tie's "Imperial" theme. I like it because it sits on my single 40" monitor pretty well, is easy for my old eyes to read, and can display 26 tracks on the mixer at the bottom, and still leave enough space at the top for zooming in and out for working on envelopes and clip edits.

Glennbo

Re: Reaper is awsome for a $60 DAW 2017/11/26 03:30:56 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby wetdentist 2017/12/06 21:15:54
One more thing I thought I'd add is that when I moved to REAPER from Sonar, I exported several of my in-progress projects using the virtual ASIO driver that comes with REAPER along with a virtual midi cable (I think I used MidiOx).  The virtual ASIO driver that REAPER includes called ReaRoute can be set on both Sonar and REAPER, and to as many audio tracks as you need to bounce between the two.

I set each audio track in Sonar to individual ReaRoute channels, and then in REAPER I set the input on an equal number of tracks, each assigned to receive from the channels that Sonar was sending on. With the virtual midi cable, I did the same thing in both DAWs, and lastly I set REAPER to be the master clock, and Sonar to slave to it, so they would be in perfect sync.

In one pass, I pulled all the audio and midi from Sonar to REAPER. I chose to kill all the plugins in Sonar and then reinstate them once all the audio and midi was pulled over to REAPER. It took a bit of work to set it up initially, but then I put a bunch of tracks into record ready in REAPER, hit record, and both DAWs started rolling at the same time, while moving all audio and midi data over in one real time pass.

Glennbo

jmasno5
Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 453
Re: Reaper is awsome for a $60 DAW 2017/11/26 03:53:23 (permalink)
Very interesting.  Great thread for bringing Reaper to the front.  Thanks.

John Masarone - J Mas No. 5
jmasno5.com
broadjam.com/jmasno5
masarone.bandcamp.com
SoundCloud Set List
Intel i5, 16GB RAM, Windows 10 64bit, Scarlett 18i20
Sonar Home Studio 4 & 7, Studio 8.5, Producer X1, X2, X3, Platinum and now... Cakewalk by BL and Studio One!
Mully
Max Output Level: -60 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1545
Re: Reaper is awsome for a $60 DAW 2017/11/26 11:34:28 (permalink)
Hmmm...just d/l the Reaper demo and it was QUICK to install. Recorded a couple of muck around tracks too REAL quick....no problem using the V700R.
Looks interesting for sure...time to dig a bit deeper.
Thanks for all the info...and big shout to Glaz in Tassie....long time mate.
Cheers.

ASUS H270, i7-7700, JLM BA & 1290, LA2A Opto4, loads of guff.
synkrotron
Max Output Level: -22.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5263
Re: Reaper is awsome for a $60 DAW 2017/11/26 12:13:53 (permalink)
Aye! As long as you don't make it Big Time, a snip at $60, and I bought it in 2015 because of that, and out of curiosity.

http://www.synkrotron.co.uk/
Intel Core™i7-3820QM Quad Core Mobile Processor 2.70GHz 8MB cache | Intel HM77 Express Chipset | 16GB SAMSUNG 1600MHz SODIMM DDR3 RAM | NVIDIA GeForce GTX 675M - 2.0GB DDR5 Video RAM | 500GB Samsung 850 Pro SSD | 1TB Samsung 850 Pro SSD | Windows 10 Pro | Roland OCTA-CAPTURE | SONAR Platinum ∞ FFS| Too many VSTi's to list here | KRK KNS-8400 Headphones | Roland JP-8000 | Oberheim OB12 | Novation Nova | Gibson SG Special | PRS Studio
itzastudio
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1
Re: Reaper is awsome for a $60 DAW 2017/11/26 13:33:17 (permalink)
Reaper is in many ways a gem. It is always the suggestion I make to people that want to start get into recording music. It's cheap with a great value for the money and allow you to try it out fully for a long (eternal?) time.
As a long time user of Sonar and being a recording engineer/producer since '92, I do find some issues with Reaper tho.
BUSSES. Yes you can set a workaround with tracks corresponding as a bus or an aux return. It is not very straightforward or easy IMO. Instead you use folders as busses. I want to be able to use folders as folders (grouping tracks) and busses as busses.
The console in Sonar works as a console is expected to work.
ROUTING AUDIO is extremely free and versatile, but also a hassle if you are used to just point a tracks' or bus' output to a new bus or a physical output. 

The freedom to tweak almost anything is both a blessing and a curse. It's a quite complex machine to get under the hood, but if you do, I'm sure it's worth it. I only have limited interst in doing that.

A thing that is nice in Reaper (and have its equivalent in Reason) is to work with blocks or parts to arrange a song. Something that is overlooked in most DAWs incl Sonar.

The problem for me is that I was just on the step to upgrade fom Sonar 8.5 that I have used for many years now in my studio, and get the latest Sonar on a new powerfull computer. I actually was looking for some black friday deal when I stumbled upon the message from Gibson. 
So I'm not even sure if it is possible to even buy a full version of Sonar any more. I have the demo installed.
As I understood, buying it from a third party retailer won't gurantee me all the plugins and intruments as it is downloaded from a now closed server. 
Another issue is of course pricing. Included in the price for buying Sonar is also support and updates, which are zero at the moment.

At the moment I consider continuing with Sonar if it is possible to get all the extras, Reason if I come to terms with how that one works (a lot of issues there too) or Reaper, which I have the basic hang of.
BJN
Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 222
Re: Reaper is awsome for a $60 DAW 2017/11/26 15:11:56 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby som_c 2017/12/07 16:45:58
No need to panic!
Sonar is a very well appointed DAW and has years of life in it yet.
But in the interim Reaper is a new DAW and does not take long to learn the basics.
Like any DAW you got to memorize the shortcuts.
Reaper also utilizes multi cores better than any other DAW as of a year or so ago and probably still leads. 

-------------------------------------------------------
Magic: when you feel inspired to create which in turn inspires more creation.

And the corollary: if magic happens inspiration might flog it to death with numerous retakes.
Bart Nettle
chuckebaby
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 13146
Re: Reaper is awsome for a $60 DAW 2017/11/26 15:21:42 (permalink)
Ive tried reaper before as well and liked it a lot.
Thing is, I do use a lot of the features/extras in Sonar like Region FX, Drum Replacer, Fx chains, Pro channel, exc.
So I might use Reaper in the future but for right now im not going to be in a panic and go buy a DAW just because Cakewalk will not be updating Sonar anymore. There are users using Sonar 8 still now.
I used to laugh at those people but I just might become one of those people.

Windows 8.1 X64 Sonar Platinum x64
Custom built: Asrock z97 1150 - Intel I7 4790k - 16GB corsair DDR3 1600 - PNY SSD 220GB
Focusrite Saffire 18I8 - Mackie Control

Re: Reaper is awsome for a $60 DAW 2017/11/26 15:45:57 (permalink)
The downloaded 64 bit installer for REAPER is a whopping 11 MB. This is NOT because it is a limited software. It is because REAPER is strictly MEAT with a small side of POTATOES. There are no samples included. No fancy face graphic plugins, or anything else besides a lean and mean DAW with a small selection of extremely useful staple FX like EQs, multiband compressor, compressor, Etc.

At first I wrote the FX that come with REAPER totally off, because they are deceptively plain looking, but after seeing user after user praise them, I finally started checking them out more in depth. Turns out they are actually very high quality plugins and will perform extremely well for most of your essential needs. Note that the screen cap I posted on the first page of this thread is using ReaEQ on every track, plus the master. I'm also using ReaXcomp (the multiband compressor) on my kick, snare, and toms. I have plenty of other EQs, and multiband compressors, but those are my go to tools because they do exactly what I need them to do.

The way folders work as busses has been mentioned a couple times. I personally love the way a folder is a bus, but if you really want a folder to just be a folder, all it takes is one click of the item "Master Send" on the Sends/Receives panel of that folder.

If you disable a folder as a bus, and then want to create your own bus, you would simply designate a track to be the bus, and then drag-n-drop from the "Sends/Receives" buttons of the tracks you want to send, over to the track you designated as the bus.

I think of it as pulling a virtual patch cable, and this technique is also how you lace other things up in REAPER, like sending from a track to another track or bus for routing midi or audio. It is extremely efficient to use and quite fast. For example, lets say I put a reverb on a track and want to send several things to it from other tracks. I would just drag from the "Sends/Receives" button of the tracks I want reverb on to the track with the reverb. Once you drop, you will get a popup panel that lets you adjust the level you are sending if needed. This panel also lets you do things like assign a different channel than the default for midi or audio, which is useful when sending a bunch of midi tracks to a single multi-timbral instrument like Kontakt. For audio, changing the default channel from the normal 1-2 stereo to say, 3-4 lets you easily send down a pipe that will be used not for what you hear, but for what will be used as detection on a plugin, as is the case for side-chaining. I hope this clears up some of the confusion.

REAPER is simple to use, but only after you get familiar with the paradigm it lives in, which is not like most other DAWs.

Glennbo

SMcNamara
Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 142
Re: Reaper is awsome for a $60 DAW 2017/11/26 17:23:56 (permalink)
If you're truly interested, here is a 30-video tutorial that shows just how powerful Reaper has become in version 5:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nzw5xwpcCJs&list=PLM0xHqxaiT6926riNPAQ3kdy7ROE2K-F4 
Just the Track Manager video (#5) shows how well-thought out the program has become.

Disclosure:  I don't use Reaper at this point but downloaded the program when it came out and kept updating through version 3 though I was using Sonar.  But with Sonar ending I've spent time with Studio One (which I own but have kept for the Project page and Mastering), Reaper and a couple of others.  I'm giving serious thought to going with Reaper, and using SO for Melodyne ARA and the Project page.

Steve

Sonar Platinum | Windows 10 64-bit | 8 cores | 16GB Ram | Focusrite Scarlett 2nd generation 18i20 interface | too many guitars, way too much software  | Presonus Eris 8 Monitors (thinking about a Presonus T8 sub!) 
mabian
Max Output Level: -68 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1111
Re: Reaper is awsome for a $60 DAW 2017/11/28 22:00:13 (permalink)
glazfolk
Oh, and I'll just add that there's no shortage of ex-Sonar users in the REAPER community who'll be only too happy to help anyone who wants help in migrating.

My ears are kinda ringing, I can simply confirm all Geoff said ;)

- Mario

Mario Bianchi
---------------
Intel Q9550 Quad Core, Abit IP35 Pro XE M'Board
2x2GB RAM, XFX GeForce 8500GT, 2x500GB Seagate SATA2 HD 7200.11
Terratec EWS88MT, ESI Near 5 Monitoring Speakers
Yamaha SY-85 Master keyboard, Roland JV-1080 Rack mod
Fleer
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 8715
Re: Reaper is awsome for a $60 DAW 2017/11/28 22:51:57 (permalink)
But its GUI is fugly. Am I the only juan?

"We're just two lost souls swimming in a fish bowl" (Wish You Were Here)
Brian Walton
Max Output Level: -79 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 584
Re: Reaper is awsome for a $60 DAW 2017/11/28 23:08:39 (permalink)
glazfolk
The REAPER stash contains scores of alternative themes, including several which look larger, for example, ST or Tonelux ... and there are others.

One thing that does take time to get used to is the extent to which this program and interface can be customised. I switched from Sonar to REAPER some time after Sonar 7 and have never looked back.

Anyone got a dual monitor "Sonar" theme for it?
fwrend
  • Total Posts : 709
Re: Reaper is awsome for a $60 DAW 2017/11/28 23:48:07 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby Fleer 2017/11/28 23:50:48
Fleer
But its GUI is fugly. Am I the only juan?

Fugly or not (I would call it utilitarian), Reaper is fully capable and Kenny G rocks! (NO, not that Kenny G!)

Wren 

Studio Cat DAW i7-4790K 4.0GHz, 16 GB, Windows 10 (latest), 64-bit, 500GB SSD OS HDD, 1.5TB 7200 SATA Recording, 2x 1TB SSD Samples, MOTU 8M, Behringer X-Touch
fitzj
Max Output Level: -61 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1487
Re: Reaper is awsome for a $60 DAW 2017/11/29 00:07:13 (permalink)
Playing with Reaper for a week now and it's pretty impressive.  Very fast startup. 
kitekrazy1
Max Output Level: -40 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3524
Re: Reaper is awsome for a $60 DAW 2017/11/29 00:37:55 (permalink)
Well I couldn't resist creating a NEW account here. My original one got nuked because of my singing the praises of REAPER!

I jumped ship and became an avid REAPER user after Sonar 5, which I beta tested for. In my most honest opinion, REAPER blows pretty much any other DAW software to pieces, and I ain't saying that so other folks will validate me buying it!

Some things I *LOVE* about it are:

Variable speed control that works just like a reel-to-reel. Slow the song down, and hit that highest note without cracking your voice or going falsetto.

A track is a track is a track.  There is no such thing as an instrument track or an audio track. Any track can record midi or audio, and if you want to be obtuse, you could even record both on one track. You can do crazy stuff like have multiple audio clips, all at different sample rates and bit depths, and it will let you get away with it.

More cool things it does outside the box are, a single track can have up to 64 audio pipelines. What that does for you is let you route the audio that you will hear, vs audio that will be used for side chain functions, or other totally bizarre stuff.

You can stack multiple softsynths into the FX bin and they ALL play so if you want to create a huge and complex instrument, it's a piece of CAKE.

The routing capabilities are farther out than you can probably think, and to lace up routing from one thing to another, you simply drag from the send of one thing to the receive of another, and again with more individual pipelines than you'll ever think of using.

The audio engine is probably the most efficient one on the planet, and Justin even compiles parts of it with older, non-bloated Borland C++ to achieve the least CPU hit imaginable. 

You can copy and paste envelopes, and the envelopes ACTUALLY WORK, unlike some other DAW software!!!

You can scale the entire UI up or down (every element) to sit on your screen well. I have an older net book and used to record my band playing live with it, and with it's limited screen res, I scaled REAPER down to 90%.

A track folder by default is also a bus, which I use extensively for grouping vocals, drums, and other things. You can put folders into other folders and create a complex hierarchies. You can also drag-drop around a folder, if you want to bypass the folder as a sub, but I can't imagine why you would want to do that.

In closing I will say that if you try REAPER, you are going to be intimidated, and that it has a STEEP learning curve, but that is to be expected with a piece of software that has almost infinite possibilities. Don't think that you can spend an hour or two with it, and make and educated decision about it. If you try it, I STRONGLY suggest you get on the forum and ASK questions, as well as watch some of the many videos there are for it.

Sorry to hear that you guys ship has abandoned you.  :-/

Peace
---------------------------------------------------------------------
Glennbo                      

Ha, ha, ha, it's Glennbo. Love the user name.    People on VI Control have dumped Cubase for Reaper.  It's great to have at $60.  Some of you paid more for plugins and libraries you never use. Groove has a great tutorial 1st Song In Reaper.   It not as complicated as you think.

Sonar Platinum, W7 Pro 32GB Ram, Intel i7 4790, AsRock Z97 Pro 4,  NVidia 750ti, AP2496

Sonar Platinum, W7 Pro, 16GB Ram, AMD FX 6300, Gigabyte GA 970 -UD3 P, nVidia 9800GT, Guitar Port, Terratec EWX 2496
michaelhanson
Max Output Level: -40 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3529
Re: Reaper is awsome for a $60 DAW 2017/11/29 00:59:40 (permalink)
Matron Landslide
Fabio Rubato

What about VST3's? 

Not like you are used to in DAWs with ARA integration. But you can use it.

VST3's are fine

This is what has kept me away from trying Reaper in the past.  I may still get a copy to play with at some point, but Melodyne ARA integration is important to me.  

Mike

https://soundcloud.com/michaeljhanson
https://www.facebook.com/michaeljhanson.music
iTunes:
https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/scandalous-grace/id1180730765

Platinum Lifetime, Focusrite 8i6 & 2i4, Gibson LP, ES335, Fender Strat, 4003 Rickenbacker
BMI
Tim Flannagin
Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 132
Re: Reaper is awsome for a $60 DAW 2017/11/29 01:22:32 (permalink)
I've had a license for a couple of years. I've created a couple of completed songs in it. So far, I've never had an issue with dropouts, lockups of some of the other issues I've had with SPLAT. Having said that, as a long time SONAR user, it's a little hard to wrap your head around at first. It's greatest and hardest to deal with attribute is its customization options. What I did is to go through the themes library and find one that I'm comfortable with. From there, I've started organizing the menus in a way that works for me (read more like SPLAT). You also have the ability to assign custom keystrokes to actions. You can even combine actions into a custom action and assign keystrokes to that. You can create custom menus of icons which have your custom actions to them. All the issues with ACT and using Keybindings don't exist in REAPER world. Setting up my controllers was relatively painless. I've resisted sitting down and really trying to learn the program in the past, but now that I have an excuse to dig into it, I'm really starting to understand how powerful it really is. 
One thing I forgot to mention, audio stretching is native functionality. No using Audio Snap or Melodyne to get it done. Looping MIDI? Trim your clip to length and loop away! 
I'm not sure I won't end up in another DAW at this point, but the interesting thing is I might not.

Dell Precision T5400, 2 Xeon E5420 CPUs, 32 GB ram, 1 X 750 GB HDD, 2 X 1TB HDD, Nvidia GTX750 , M-Audio 1010LT, Roland GR-55, Novation SL MKII 49 , Arturia MiniLab, Arturia Spark Creative Drum Controller, '77 Gibson Les Paul Artistan, Epiphone Les Paul Studio w/ GK-3, Fender Stratocaster, Dean Exotica Acoustic, Cakewalk Sonar Platinum Lifetime, Arturia  Synths galore!, Cakewalk Synths galore!, M-Audio BX-5a monitors, a couple of cheap mikes, a dubious quality desk, several shady characters hanging in the studio, etc....
Re: Reaper is awsome for a $60 DAW 2017/11/29 06:08:02 (permalink)
Brian Walton
Anyone got a dual monitor "Sonar" theme for it?

I've seen some that are supposed to look like Sonar, but never tried any of them, and my last Sonar was Sonar 5, so I wouldn't know how faithful they are.  The thing with REAPER is, the skinning language makes it so things can be laid out a lot of different ways, and the graphical objects can be completely switched out for totally different looks.

For example, here's a pretty fancy dual monitor skin that's made for dual 1080p monitors.
http://www.houseofwhiteti...erial/wt_imperial.html

Glennbo

Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 2 of 10
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1